• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting down to the Wifi Basics: Sakurai talks more about Nintendo WFC

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
I woud've preferred knowing yes, but it doesn't exactly "ruin the game". You'll probably know if it changes from player to CPU anyway, as there will be a sudden change in playstyle. Plus all games will start with all human players, the way you described it sounds like the game may randomly set you up with humans or CPUs.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
I woud've preferred knowing yes, but it doesn't exactly "ruin the game". You'll probably know if it changes from player to CPU anyway, as there will be a sudden change in playstyle. Plus all games will start with all human players, the way you described it sounds like the game may randomly set you up with humans or CPUs.
well might as well be becuase you never know for sure if they dropped out or not. But yeah for at least the first minute you probably assume that your still playing a real person, but after that, who knows?
And BTW do you know why i cant start my own threads?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If you can't tell the difference between computer AI and a human player, well then either:

1. the human player was really dumb, because that CPU isn't gonna be on a high level (possible)
2. the computer AI is really advanced and somehow makes itself similar to the human player's playing style (not gonna happen)
3. you're dumb (also possible)

You won't know the moment it happens. You won't know if it happens right at the beginning or right at the end of a match. But it won't be hard to figure out otherwise.

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
3. I don't know if any of you realize this, but I'm seriously wondering how Sakurai is going to handle the stages. Hidden characters are one thing. I mean, if you don't have him or her, you're just going to be spoiled when he shows up to beat your butt down, or be beaten down, but stages? There's going to be hidden stages too, you know. So is he going to have a preset selection of stages or will we just be able to select from the ones we have available and be pleasantly surprised when we find ourselves fighting on a stage we've never seen before?

I wonder about the stages too. What about the music? Will it always be the defualt song or will it go off of the my music of the person who "won" the lottery. In addition, what about custom stages? I'm assuming that they won't be used for online play (i wouldn't want to always battle on sucky made stages), but maybe sakurai can make it work, at least for friend battles.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
wow, they really are thinking of everything in this game! excellent with auto comps turning on and how you wont automatically get all the characters. anybody else think this means no unlockable confirmations in the site?

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
if they're a member of the smashboards then you could probably come on and say something like.

"Hey was anyone here playing as X character against the characters a,b, and c and on Y stage at so and so time?"

it would be a little difficult.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Maybe Smash Boards could make a forum just for those on WiFi? I dunno, it would take up a lot of space.

I agree it sucks, but do you know what I think sucks even more? From the looks of things, only 1 player per Wii. You can't play with your friends on your Wii in random battles. That sucks. Prolly not in friend battles either FFS.

Having a little identification is nothing bad at all... Mario Kart DS had names AND avatars, infact, this is the only WiFi game I've ever heard of that lacks names in random battles.

And there's a reason people love XBOX Live so much you know.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Note that the screen shows a two-minute timed match and Sakurai didn't mention any way to change it. So what, you can vote on the item switch, but have no control over the mode? You'd think that would be a much higher priority.

I was hoping that at the very least, matches would be set to longer than two minutes. With all the time it'll take to connect and find opponents, we'll wind up spending longer in the menus than on the battlefield.

Not that I ever truly expected anything other than forced two-minute time matches for With Anyone. I was still hoping that they'd surprise me, though...
I haven't really thought of that. Well, I'm not going to be using this feature that much anyways. It wasn't a bad update, though.

gamer8

Smash Lord
A lot of information in this update, well now we know that you unlock characters during subspace.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
A lot of information in this update, well now we know that you unlock characters during subspace.
Even before this update, it makes sense that you do unlock characters from the Subspace Emissary since they've shown it's an essential part of Smash. There's that, and this is the first time Sakurai made a fleshed-out story for Smash.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, personally I hope there are some characters to unlock in more ways too though, like through classic mode.

If Jigglypuff isn't unlockable through classic mode, Sakurai has officially ruined Smash Bros.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Now I can refine my plan of what to do when I get Brawl.
1. Check out all of the starting Character/Stages/Items
2.Play through Subspace Emissary
3. Go online and see what other character are left to unlock.

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
He wont...

Hes not gonna showe spoiling characters on the dojo if hes telling us "go through adventrue mode before brawling online" because characters will be spoiled. this shows he knows some of us dont like unlockable spoilers, so why would he give us some...

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Hes not gonna showe spoiling characters on the dojo if hes telling us "go through adventrue mode before brawling online" because characters will be spoiled. this shows he knows some of us dont like unlockable spoilers, so why would he give us some...
Some people don't like any kind of spoilers,
so why should he show us anything?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Aww, the EU delay is really getting to me now, to find out the roster, I'm gonna have to go on bloody GameFAQs, or try to restrain myself for 5 months. I don't know if I can do that though, I might just spoil it for myself...

Yeah, I prolly will spoil it for myself. God **** you Nintendo of Europe.

Not A Naruto Wannabe

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone fill me in on who is falling in the background of the last screen?

Anyway a pretty good update telling how the game works...

but there are the questions - will you be able to retake your CPU character once your naughty lagginess stops? Are the teams randomly set or per console? If theres an unlockable and you see them after you think you have everyone, what will you do? And what if some noob picks a bad stage and they get it by lottery? (same thing with bad items)

The kind of update we want more of, but maybe not so vague on several details.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
There is a possibility that this mode is not finished yet. The delay might have been for fixing online play and making it run smoother. Here's what I get it from:

1) Why wouldn't Sakurai HOST a match? I mean, Hosting would have more options than just joining an online brawl. Could this be because Hosting has not been worked on yet and is still in its rough stages?

2) The Time Limit. 2:00 seems awfully short. And I think that if you can set a match to be a "Stamina Mega Flower Curry Heavy Slow Angled Brawl", that you will be able to do the same with the time limit on Brawl. This leads back to what I said earlier about hosting's capabilities at the moment: it's still in a rough stage, and it will have to be worked out soon.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
some noob picks a bad stage
There are no bad stages in Smash Bros, only stages that some people don't like ;)

Personally I like all the stages, and variation is a great challenge.

EDIT: Time limit being standard for online is really lame... I always play Stock matches. If you can't change it I will not be pleased.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
There is a possibility that this mode is not finished yet. The delay might have been for fixing online play and making it run smoother. Here's what I get it from:

1) Why wouldn't Sakurai HOST a match? I mean, Hosting would have more options than just joining an online brawl. Could this be because Hosting has not been worked on yet and is still in its rough stages?

2) The Time Limit. 2:00 seems awfully short. And I think that if you can set a match to be a "Stamina Mega Flower Curry Heavy Slow Angled Brawl", that you will be able to do the same with the time limit on Brawl. This leads back to what I said earlier about hosting's capabilities at the moment: it's still in a rough stage, and it will have to be worked out soon.
I would like to think that if a mode is still in it's rough stage than sakurai wouldn't make an update about it, or at least mention the fact.

lilparadise

Smash Apprentice
This proves two thngs for me:

1. The starting roster.
2. The character select screen from the demo is final.

I think that everything from the demo is in it's final version. (Except the horrible cpu control)

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
Well, I guess since one can see unlocked characters online before unlocking them yourself...

...I won't be playing online until I unlock everyone. ;)

~Old Man Nintendo

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
omg people stop assuming of course you can change the settings of the match that should be obvious he doesn't have to say it or mayb he plans 2 in a diff update, but plz shutup about it god i hate wen people make random assumptions

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
if they're a member of the smashboards then you could probably come on and say something like.

"Hey was anyone here playing as X character against the characters a,b, and c and on Y stage at so and so time?"

it would be a little difficult.
or we could all put our smashboards names as 1 of our taunts....and msg that person if interested in finding friend .....not perfect but will work

fighterkirby7

Smash Journeyman

1. The starting roster.

I think that everything from the demo is in it's final version. (Except the horrible cpu control)
man are you stupid??:mad: thats not the starting roster!( well not EVERY character of it) sakurai
can do EVERITHING he wants with these images,so he maybe took out some of the characters.
i mean....kirby not being a starter? c'mon....

and Hallowed storm said everithing.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice

1. The starting roster.

It proves nothing. That could be the starting roster, but it could very well not be.

or we could all put our smashboards names as 1 of our taunts....and msg that person if interested in finding friend .....not perfect but will work
It wouldn't work seeing as you can only see the text from taunts in matches with people already on your Friends List.

I'm a little disappointed about how most characters are unlocked through SSE, but at least he only said "most" as opposed to "all".

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Hmm, at first I though that was a great idea, but you have to remember that your taunts don't have messages in random matchup.

1. The starting roster.
Orly? I can tell it's beta from a few simple things:

#1The symbols are way too big
#2 Not organised very well (usually characters organised together by series, but Bowser is at the bottom)
#3 Sonic is there (secret) but Kirby isn't (blatent starter + on game cover)

Xanderous

Smash Lord
This update confirms that Sakurai hasn't been updating hidden characters on his website, except maybe Snake and Sonic.

Top Bottom