• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Shroob

Sup?
So what? This is what Smash Bros is now? Not a fun crossover containing our favorite characters and great modes but instead just a massive marketing campaign for faceless corporations to jerk off too? This reasoning is the reason why Nintendo should've never got involved with character choices. Despite being good terms with them, Sakurai still chooses with the players in mind. No doubt characters like Geno and Crash would've been a lock with him at helm
Smash is still a fun crossover containing our favorite characters and great modes.

But it's also a massive marketing campaign.

And like, it always has been since Smash 4, hell, one could argue even earlier. Crossover fighting games are just a company's way of flexing their IP extremely hard. Like, look at Marvel vs Capcom 3, which is a beloved fighting game in the greater FGC. The Marvel side of the roster was chosen heavily due to what Marvel had coming out or planned at the time. The Capcom side was more fan choices, but even then, characters like, ya know, Megaman didn't make it in.

I don't have any illusion or rose tinted glasses as to what Smash is at its core. It's one, big Nintendo advertisement that just soo happens to appeal to the desires of a lot of people. That may be a bit of a cynical way to look at things, but sometimes, I feel like people fall in love with the idea of Smash being this big, wish-fulfilling game, which, to a degree it is, but it's always been a way for Nintendo to go "BUY OUR GAMES", and to strengthen relationships between 3rd party companies. They absolutely DO listen to fans, it's how we got the likes of Ridley, the Belmonts, K.Rool, Banjo and Sora, but still.

Sometimes, I think people fall in love with the concept of Smash and romanticize it to a degree, and ignore what it actually is.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Thinking of making a discord server for my Geno game so I can mine all of the creative ideas out of you people 😀. I doubt I'd be able to link anything like that on here though.
Dude hit me up with that. I may not be a programmer or coder but I'm a pretty creative well and I've been told I'm good at pointing out design problems, even if I can be a bit critical.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Smash is still a fun crossover containing our favorite characters and great modes.

And like, it always has been since Smash 4, hell, one could argue even earlier. Crossover fighting games are just a company's way of flexing their IP extremely hard. Like, look at Marvel vs Capcom 3, which is a beloved fighting game in the greater FGC. The Marvel side of the roster was chosen heavily due to what Marvel had coming out or planned at the time. The Capcom side was more fan choices, but even then, characters like, ya know, Megaman didn't make it in.

I don't have any illusion or rose tinted glasses as to what Smash is at its core. It's one, big Nintendo advertisement that just soo happens to appeal to the desires of a lot of people. That may be a bit of a cynical way to look at things, but sometimes, I feel like people fall in love with the idea of Smash being this big, wish-fulfilling game, which, to a degree it is, but it's always been a way for Nintendo to go "BUY OUR GAMES", and to strengthen relationships between 3rd party companies. They absolutely DO listen to fans, it's how we got the likes of Ridley, the Belmonts, K.Rool, Banjo and Sora, but still.

Sometimes, I think people fall in love with the concept of Smash and romanticize it to a degree, and ignore what it actually is.
Just to add to this, let's also not forget that Smash 64 was initially conceived as a fighter without a single nintendo character to begin with. It was only later on in the first game's development that the idea of using their established IPs was proposed to help it sell better (which thank goodness it did). Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, smash, as we know it, wouldn't exist if it weren't for that desire to make money and to use the resources available to it. Genuine respect, love, passion etc. for fans and the properties themselves are certainly what helped it grow, but business is business. Smash can't exist without either of these things.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Heck, a class example of Smash being a marketing campaign is Melee and the introduction of Marth and Roy. Had it not been for Melee, lord knows what would have happened with Nintendo testing the waters for the franchise over here. Granted, while Sakurai is part of Kid Icarus's creation, his inclusion in Brawl was more than likely a good reason why they were comfortable to give green light to Kid Icarus's uprising.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Sora was such a momentous moment I feel like he's singlehandedly redefined the expectation for the ending of a smash game. To that angle, I actually feel that Geno IS "Grand Finale Tier" a character with as much history, demand, and love from the fans as Sora had before him. Sakurai flat-out confirming that Sora was the most requested fighter of all time says a lot. He's the ULTIMATE confirmation that the wishes of the fans DO matter. There are only a few characters that still aren't in the game but are like that in terms of scale in terms of the meaning they bring to the fans. Geno is one of those very special few.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I feel like people just have weird quotas they think need to be filled for Smash to be good. You know, like we need more females, more cartoony characters, more non-white characters, more non-human characters.

I just see that and I chuckle and shake my head.

It's these kind of quotas that are ruining media, and I'm glad Sakurai doesn't pay attention to them.

To explain it a bit better, people who think that a certain archetype of character is more important than a specific character miss the mark entirely. We don't need X number of this category of characters, we need the characters people love. If we just toss in, say, a bunch of female video game characters just for the sake of getting more females in the game, this cuts out so many wishes from getting in.

I mean, sure, you could grab names like Dixie Kong, Krystal and Lara Croft and I'm sure people would be happy, but what happens after that? Ashley? Shantae? Sure, now who do you pick? Keep in mind that this isn't even enough characters to add to flesh out a base roster addition for a new title, let alone including DLC. Don't get me wrong, I can come up with a few more here: Chun-Li or Cammy, Jill Valentine or take your pick of female RE characters, Reimu, that chick from Portal (not sure if she's a big deal or not, but I see people talk about her), 2B, Elma, Ivy Valentine, Aloy, Arle, someone from TLOU, KOS-MOS, maybe LiS?

There are already a lot there, but even if you picked all of these it's STILL not enough to fit what we got for Ultimate, and there would be a lot of contention: Maybe people wanted Guile or Akuma more, Leon or Chris more, Nightmare or Kilik more, Joel more. Imagine how they would feel if they found out they weren't picked just because of a gender quota. You also run into the issue of running out of names people would care about while also not diving deep into that List O' Requests once you drop in those first three or so.

Focusing on only female characters would mean no Geno, Dante, Rayman, Chief, Phoenix Wright, BWD, Waluigi, Travis, Isaac, Hayabusa, Crash, Spyro, Heavy, Dr. Robotnik, Shadow, Tails, Lloyd, Porky, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Crono, Klonoa, Agumon, Conker, Bomberman, Kratos, Lloyd, Chibi-Robo, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, King Boo, Wonder Red...I could go on, but I think the point is made.

Going for a cartoony-character quota would exclude more serious, more realistic or anime-styled characters. Focusing on one genre for a quota pushes out all the others. Going for third-party-only excludes popular first party characters, etcetera and so on and so forth.

In other words, the only quota that needs filled is that request quota.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Sora was such a momentous moment I feel like he's singlehandedly redefined the expectation for the ending of a smash game. To that angle, I actually feel that Geno IS "Grand Finale Tier" a character with as much history, demand, and love from the fans as Sora had before him. Sakurai flat-out confirming that Sora was the most requested fighter of all time says a lot. He's the ULTIMATE confirmation that the wishes of the fans DO matter. There are only a few characters that still aren't in the game but are like that in terms of scale in terms of the meaning they bring to the fans. Geno is one of those very special few.
I really think we ought to campaign to get Geno in a Kingdom Hearts game. It makes sense, they're both Square characters, Geno would fit pretty well in the franchise, and there's no point fighting the current when we can ride it.

Firox

Smash Master
I feel like people just have weird quotas they think need to be filled for Smash to be good. You know, like we need more females, more cartoony characters, more non-white characters, more non-human characters.

I just see that and I chuckle and shake my head.

It's these kind of quotas that are ruining media, and I'm glad Sakurai doesn't pay attention to them.

To explain it a bit better, people who think that a certain archetype of character is more important than a specific character miss the mark entirely. We don't need X number of this category of characters, we need the characters people love. If we just toss in, say, a bunch of female video game characters just for the sake of getting more females in the game, this cuts out so many wishes from getting in.

I mean, sure, you could grab names like Dixie Kong, Krystal and Lara Croft and I'm sure people would be happy, but what happens after that? Ashley? Shantae? Sure, now who do you pick? Keep in mind that this isn't even enough characters to add to flesh out a base roster addition for a new title, let alone including DLC. Don't get me wrong, I can come up with a few more here: Chun-Li or Cammy, Jill Valentine or take your pick of female RE characters, Reimu, that chick from Portal (not sure if she's a big deal or not, but I see people talk about her), 2B, Elma, Ivy Valentine, Aloy, Arle, someone from TLOU, KOS-MOS, maybe LiS?

There are already a lot there, but even if you picked all of these it's STILL not enough to fit what we got for Ultimate, and there would be a lot of contention: Maybe people wanted Guile or Akuma more, Leon or Chris more, Nightmare or Kilik more, Joel more. Imagine how they would feel if they found out they weren't picked just because of a gender quota. You also run into the issue of running out of names people would care about while also not diving deep into that List O' Requests once you drop in those first three or so.

Focusing on only female characters would mean no Geno, Dante, Rayman, Chief, Phoenix Wright, BWD, Waluigi, Travis, Isaac, Hayabusa, Crash, Spyro, Heavy, Dr. Robotnik, Shadow, Tails, Lloyd, Porky, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Crono, Klonoa, Agumon, Conker, Bomberman, Kratos, Lloyd, Chibi-Robo, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, King Boo, Wonder Red...I could go on, but I think the point is made.

Going for a cartoony-character quota would exclude more serious, more realistic or anime-styled characters. Focusing on one genre for a quota pushes out all the others. Going for third-party-only excludes popular first party characters, etcetera and so on and so forth.

In other words, the only quota that needs filled is that request quota.
This all comes down to the argument of "who do we WANT for the job" vs "who is BEST for the job". I agree that characters should be decided based on potential moveset, historical notoriety and popularity. If a "diversity" pick happens to fall into those categories, great, welcome aboard, but characters should never be chosen just for the sake of checking boxes.

Firox

Smash Master
How the heck is this thread still on place one? i mean geno was confirmed as a costume Months ago?
Few reasons:

1) Post-Sora condolences
2) "Next Smash Bros" implications of Sora's inclusion, ie. would this make Geno more viable moving forward
3) General social activity of a still very much alive fanbase for the blue puppet.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Few reasons:

1) Post-Sora condolences
2) "Next Smash Bros" implications of Sora's inclusion, ie. would this make Geno more viable moving forward
3) General social activity of a still very much alive fanbase for the blue puppet.
Interesting, very interesting! What do you two think!
(only the first word is my answer the rest is a refrence i wonder how many get it right?)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Interesting, very interesting! What do you two think!
(only the first word is my answer the rest is a refrence i wonder how many get it right?)
Undertale

In all seriousness, I'm just here until they decide to lock all the speculation threads. I like talking about Geno and this might be one of the only places left I can really discuss the character or the games. But I think we'll be able to continue pushing for Geno's inclusion to any game really moving forward. If Nintendo is willing to bring back Foreman Spike, then why not Geno and Mallow?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How the heck is this thread still on place one? i mean geno was confirmed as a costume Months ago?
Plenty of characters who were confirmed as Mii costumes, assist trophies, etc. still have support threads - the Isaac thread's still going even though he was an assist trophy in the base game, for example.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I really think we ought to campaign to get Geno in a Kingdom Hearts game. It makes sense, they're both Square characters, Geno would fit pretty well in the franchise, and there's no point fighting the current when we can ride it.
While I wouldn't mind to see that happen, eventually the focus has been put on Sora and the original KH characters now. Unless Geno and Mallow become main characters of KH4 (by miracle), I don't think there is any room for we fans to ask for it.

I do think Geno and Mallow can fit in FF and Chocobo games, especially the latter which has a more similiar artstyle with the two. Just it feels like Square's attitude toward the Geno and Mallow support seems very passive. Aside from the use in Smash, they don't seem to think using the characters for their own would bring benefit to them.

If just talking about bringing them back to Mario franchise. I think Mario Kart Tour would be a potentially considerable deal. The mobile app game is highly grossing in profits and it could appeal Square if they can have a share in it.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Either Mario Mobile, due to the profits, or even the next "Main/Console" Mario Kart's first third party DLC having Geno/Mallow would fit perfectly.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

Yeah, there is a marketing campaign behind it, no doubt there has to be, but the early games were more about the Celebration of Nintendo's History than Nintendo's Big Ad Campaign and nothing like today with DLC. All franchises repped other than FE franchise where usually from previous generations who which makes no sense from advertising as you would market the newer stuff than the old. Samus and Ness didn't even have games on the N64 and Neither did Young Link, Sheik, Ness, Dr Mario and Game and Watch on the GameCube

When you got Nintendo spouting lies and fake air calling Smash the "Celebration of Gaming" and stretching the hype, what do you expect really?

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, there is a marketing campaign behind it, no doubt there has to be, but the early games were more about the Celebration of Nintendo's History than Nintendo's Big Ad Campaign and nothing like today with DLC. All franchises repped other than FE franchise where usually from previous generations who which makes no sense from advertising as you would market the newer stuff than the old. Samus and Ness didn't even have games on the N64 and Neither did Young Link, Sheik, Ness, Dr Mario and Game and Watch on the GameCube

When you got Nintendo spouting lies and fake air calling Smash the "Celebration of Gaming" and stretching the hype, what do you expect really?
I mean, is it not a celebration of gaming? We have hundreds upon hundreds of characters from all walks of life present, be it as playable characters, assist trophies, spirits, and Mii costumes. Just because a character isn't playable doesn't detract from this fact.

Hell, we have Pong.

A single game with an almost countless number of characters? Yeah, that's a celebration of gaming for sure, no doubt. Is it perfect? No, absolutely not, but it's impossible to be perfect.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
It being a Marketing Campaign is unironically why I feel so many people get so obsessed with their Most Wanted tbh. We want another case like Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus, of a Franchise being reinvigorated. Isaac and Geno are "Lost" and getting a shot in the arm from Smash would be hugely beneficial to them. In a weird way, Waluigi and Ashley fans are in a similar boat, Waluigi has never been in a mainline Mario or Wario game, and the Warioware cast (Really all of Wario's extended cast outside of the Warioland 3 Villain) have never been in Mario spin off like DK and Yoshi's cast have (Kamek is even a major Mario Character now). The idea that the recognition of Smash Bros would be what these franchises and characters would need to survive or come back.

Shroob

Sup?
I also think you really can't compare games like 64 and Melee to more modern entries in regards to the roster tbh.

Games like 64 and Melee had 12 and 24(25?) characters respectively. Ultimate has 89. In a roster this big, that feeling is unavoidable, and frankly, it always would be. After Brawl laid a solid foundation for the series going forward, this path was frankly always going to be the way forward in regards to the roster, unless you kept the character amount to Brawl-level numbers. Games like 64 and Melee more or less were building a foundation, their jobs were to get as many iconic characters in as they could, while a game like Ultimate is fleshing out what exists to its best ability, while bringing in new franchises and Nintendo's newest games.

Is it perfect? No, absolutely not. But is it bad? I can't even pretend to say it is. A game that gives Ridley and K.Rool, two of the longest requested 1st party characters, and even though he's not playable, Isaac is brought back as an assist despite Nintendo seemingly having no desire to do anything with Golden Sun? Yeah, it's not perfect, but it is great.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
It being a Marketing Campaign is unironically why I feel so many people get so obsessed with their Most Wanted tbh. We want another case like Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus, of a Franchise being reinvigorated. Isaac and Geno are "Lost" and getting a shot in the arm from Smash would be hugely beneficial to them. In a weird way, Waluigi and Ashley fans are in a similar boat, Waluigi has never been in a mainline Mario or Wario game, and the Warioware cast (Really all of Wario's extended cast outside of the Warioland 3 Villain) have never been in Mario spin off like DK and Yoshi's cast have (Kamek is even a major Mario Character now). The idea that the recognition of Smash Bros would be what these franchises and characters would need to survive or come back.
That would be mostly likely the case if Geno still isn't owned by Square. Ironically he has more chance appearing in Kingdom Hearts than a Mario Game, We have to convinced both Sqaure and Nintendo at the same time at the same wavelength.

I also think you really can't compare games like 64 and Melee to more modern entries in regards to the roster tbh.

Games like 64 and Melee had 12 and 24(25?) characters respectively. Ultimate has 89. In a roster this big, that feeling is unavoidable, and frankly, it always would be. After Brawl laid a solid foundation for the series going forward, this path was frankly always going to be the way forward in regards to the roster, unless you kept the character amount to Brawl-level numbers. Games like 64 and Melee more or less were building a foundation, their jobs were to get as many iconic characters in as they could.
Seeing as, unfortunately, a game like Ultimate can never ever happen again, hopefully it can return more its roots with Brawl and Melee + Much better DLC season and like this one. Honestly, Ult should be the final game in the series but that's not feasible so I hope for the former.

Is it perfect? No, absolutely not. But is it bad? I can't even pretend to say it is. A game that gives Ridley and K.Rool, two of the longest requested 1st party characters,
2 out of 89 I must say.

Shroob

Sup?
That would be mostly likely the case if Geno still isn't owned by Square. Ironically he has more chance appearing in Kingdom Hearts than a Mario Game, We have to convinced both Sqaure and Nintendo at the same time at the same wavelength.

Seeing as, unfortunately, a game like Ultimate can never ever happen again, hopefully it can return more its roots with Brawl and Melee + Much better DLC season and like this one. Honestly, Ult should be the final game in the series but that's not feasible so I hope for the former.

2 out of 89 I must say.
2/89 is a poor way of looking at things, when you've got 4 prior games worth of roster to look back on. By saying that, you're discounting the 87 characters, many of which are or were fan demand at one point.

There was a time where characters like Wario, Diddy, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Olimar etc were just characters that we didn't have, but we got them, and to say "2/89" is just a ****ing awful way to look at things. You're only looking at the now and ignoring the past, and on top of that, ignoring other characters that were chosen due to the ballot by Sakurai's own words like Dark Samus, Chrom, Simon and Sora.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
2/89 is a poor way of looking at things, when you've got 4 prior games worth of roster to look back on. By saying that, you're discounting the 87 characters, many of which are or were fan demand at one point.

There was a time where characters like Wario, Diddy, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Olimar etc were just characters that we didn't have, but we got them, and to say "2/89" is just a ****ing awful way to look at things. You're only looking at the now and ignoring the past, and on top of that, ignoring other characters that were chosen due to the ballot by Sakurai's own words like Dark Samus, Chrom, Simon and Sora.
Fine. 6/89 but regardless, your first point on Wario, Diddy, Meta etc proves my point. Smash was a much simpler, much better time where we would rally for our favourite Nintendo Characters and soon Gaming characters in general and usually it would be an exciting time and you were more likely to get them. It felt like a game at the time of Nintendo's History, not Nintendo's ADs.

Also then it was a much better time to rally for characters too.

Shroob

Sup?
Fine. 6/89
And again, you're discounting literally the rest of the roster for some reason. You realize that not all 89 characters were added in Ultimate, right? What you're basically saying is that characters like Mario and Pikachu aren't big deals. They've been around forever, but you're throwing them under the bus to better fit your narrative.
Smash was a much simpler, much better time where we would rally for our favourite Nintendo Characters and soon Gaming characters in general and usually it would be an exciting time and you were more likely to get them. It felt like a game at the time of Nintendo's History, not Nintendo's ADs.

Also then it was a much better time to rally for characters too.

Better is entirely subjective. As someone who was a big Brawl speculation veteran, it was NOT a better time, because, surprise, a majority of people who speculated on Brawl, were kids and teenagers, which is how you got such classic arguments as "Megaman can't be in Smash, he's too similar to Samus because they both have arm cannons."

As someone who was a big time Brawl speculator, no, the rose-tinted glasses do not make that period any better. It sucked because we were all dumb, ignorant kids.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Just heard back from Toshin, he said he could definitely look into it, and that it should be easy to do, provided there's a 3D Mario Starman model within Ultimate's files.
Sorry I'm late on getting back to this, but has anything new come up? I was wondering if, say.. Rosalina's final smash is a 3D model? I mean, I know it's a Grand Star in Ultimate rather than the Power Star it was in 4, but it's still a Mario series star. And what of the actual invincibility star item in Smash? ..Unless that's just a texture, like the food items.

Otherwise.. why not just import a custom model? I thought he was already doing something like that with swapping the Mii Gunner's missiles with Geno's rocket fists, unless I'm thinking of someone else and/or the idea didn't pan out.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Better is entirely subjective. As someone who was a big Brawl speculation veteran, it was NOT a better time, because, surprise, a majority of people who speculated on Brawl, were kids and teenagers, which is how you got such classic arguments as "Megaman can't be in Smash, he's too similar to Samus because they both have arm cannons."

As someone who was a big time Brawl speculator, no, the rose-tinted glasses do not make that period any better. It sucked because we were all dumb, ignorant kids.
Rather have that anytime of the day instead having lame unfunny memes repeated en masse and being call mentally ill or a sociopath for wanting characters and get dunked every few mins. At least with that example, you can debate with them potentially opening a different light on your characters. Even, Most people who say got introduced to new franchises and characters all started mostly from Brawl so that mentality was really short-term.

Shroob

Sup?
Rather have that anytime of the day instead having lame unfunny memes repeated en masse and being call mentally ill or a sociopath for wanting characters and get dunked every few mins.
That has nothing to do with Ultimate

That's just how the internet's changed in general over the years. That problem isn't an Ultimate or even Smash thing, that's how it is in basically, well, everywhere.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's terrible, but this isn't a Smash problem, it's just that the rise of social media and anonymity gives people the ability to be ****heads. This is a social media problem. If people were actually held accountable for the things that they said online, it'd be one thing, but these kind of people are everywhere.

And also, it's not like those days were pure and innocent either. One of the biggest "memes" back then, before they were even called memes, was a famous Punch Out meme that was extremely racially charged, this isn't anything new.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I'm late on getting back to this, but has anything new come up? I was wondering if, say.. Rosalina's final smash is a 3D model? I mean, I know it's a Grand Star in Ultimate rather than the Power Star it was in 4, but it's still a Mario series star. And what of the actual invincibility star item in Smash? ..Unless that's just a texture, like the food items.

Otherwise.. why not just import a custom model? I thought he was already doing something like that with swapping the Mii Gunner's missiles with Geno's rocket fists, unless I'm thinking of someone else and/or the idea didn't pan out.
I didn't think to ask exactly what kind of star he was going to use, as I didn't think it mattered in the end. I just figured it would be the polite thing to do to just let him look into it, without asking for details routinely. Wouldn't want to come off as annoying.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I didn't think to ask exactly what kind of star he was going to use, as I didn't think it mattered in the end. I just figured it would be the polite thing to do to just let him look into it, without asking for details routinely. Wouldn't want to come off as annoying.
Yeah, that's fine. I was just tossing out ideas in case they were needed, but I'm cool with just seeing how things turn out, too.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
All this "The Lack of Geno makes Ultimates roster a failure" is such a spoiled mindset. Everyone is Here alone was a HUGE deal, very few fighting games are capable of keeping their entire roster. We got Snake back. We were told Sora was a popular pick by Sakurai, we got Simon, Banjo, Ridley, K Rool, all 4 massive choices, Isabelle was not a mega-hype pick, but she definately had her own fans. Even the new clone characters were popular request for clones, with Dark Samus, Chrom, Ken and Daisy. Also while Incineroar, Hero, and Terry were not big in the States, they were popular characters in Japan and South America. Sephiroth, Steve and Kazuya weren't highly requested, but to say some of the most iconic characters in gaming were "Bad" choices is absurd. Aegis, Byleth and Min Min were all choices for "New" games, with Xenoblade 2 having a decent amount of request for a rep and ARMS being something Sakurai wanted to include in the base game to my knowledge but it came out to late (Byleth is weird in this regard, but its possible they weren't the initial plan for the 5th fighters pass, but was added when complications arose). The only ??? Choice is Plant, and Plant was almost certainly chosen as a WTF pick. This is the same man who included Captain Falcon the Race Car Driver, a Completely 2d character representing old Watch Games, a Peripheral that was entirely just a ploy to break into the American Market, and the Wii Fit Trainer who was picked entirely because Sakurai got literally no request for her. If you somehow had someone who was into video games but knew nothing about smash and just showed them the roster, they'd be ecstatic. Hell, i know Mii Costumes are disliked, but their purpose is to add potential fighter characters, sure not having Travis or Dante sucks, but you literally can not add every bodies favorite character to the game. It might not be perfect, but i can still play with a version of Sans and the Dragonborn. Same thing with assist trophies, they're meant as a consolation prize for characters who didn't quite make it.

Being upset you didn't get you most wanted character is fine, but letting such feelings taint your entire view of the game is not. Many of you guy's admit Geno is not a likely character; so why let something you guys figured was gonna happen taint your opinion of an entire game. It's not even likely if he was in that you'd even like his playstyle. A lot of Ridley, Banjo, and K Rool Supporters don't main their most wanted after they came out; that trend would almost certainly continue here. Geno's inclusion wouldn't magically make the game more playable. He isn't even the only character Sakurai's wanted to be in Smash bros who hasn't arrived. Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, and Plusle and Minun were all planned for brawl and got even further then Geno did, but none have made it to Smash yet. The game's well being does not hinge on a 25 year old Mario RPGs side character.

Sorry if this sounded mean, I have legit nothing against wanting longshot characters and forming communities around that. I have many characters i really wanted who never got in, or are limited to supporting roles. And many people here are acting fairly mature about this. I wish the Geno Community the best of luck in future Smash Titles, just remember to HYPE RESPONSIBLY

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Plenty of characters who were confirmed as Mii costumes, assist trophies, etc. still have support threads - the Isaac thread's still going even though he was an assist trophy in the base game, for example.
Dan Dan not quite. There’s threads on plenty of deconfirmed fighters.

Last edited:

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
It’s (not) weird that all the preachers and trolls are suddenly coming out of the wood works. We like Geno, this is a place we can talk about if.

We’ve talked about Chocobo Racing, Mario Kart, Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario: RPG, old times of speculation. I don’t think anyone has mentioned Geno still having a chance of getting into Ultimate since Sora’s reveal.

You all know Geno talk doesn’t have to only be about Smash, right? We do, that’s why we are still talking here.

Top Bottom