• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Shroob

Sup?
Fair enough on that part, but it still doesn´t change the fact that Sora is popular worldwide, Halo is only popular in the west
This is true. Banjo Kazooie, for example, broke 1 million sales in Japan iirc.

While Halo? Well, it's not unheard of, but it barely sells last I checked.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hence the saying regarding Halo in Japan: "Green Samus?"

Nothing at all against Chief, Halo isn't popular over there. Of course, Chief has a fighter for the West would be a big deal in future Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is that including all titles? Because I saw someone post the other day that the series had broke 1 mil sales.
I was only referring to the first game, and thought you were too. That and I can't really find Japan-specific sales for later BKs.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Alright here is a crazy thought i had what if the next smash game the newcomer trailer for Geno would require Mario to bring the Geno doll and ask Sora to open the keydoor in Star hill using his Keyblade and then when the keydoor expands and a light comes with a star spirit of Geno coming out of it and possess the Geno doll and then Geno then he turns around and see everyone behind him i think that would be epic and also Bowser and Peach would be present during that event with smiles on their faces seeing Geno again after more than 25 years of being gone.

also check out this awesome Star hill stage made in smash ID: S2DNKMBL if you want to have it

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Honesty, I think Geno alongside Mallow has a better chance of appearing in Kingdom Hearts as a cameo like the other Square Enix characters. Imagine exploring Star Road as one of the worlds. Think that would be much easier to get than getting Nintendo and Square to work together again for potential remake or even Smash Bros.

With that, with Ultimate ending despite on a poor note imo, this is prime time to rack up support for the puppet this time. Unfortunately due to 2020, instead of being one of greats alongside Ridley and K.Rool in support with the biggest thread, we are now a shell for our former selves with much more detractors. in fact, we are worse than when we were at Smash 4. We need to change that drastically.

Cliché as it sounds, does anyone have any ideas?

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
This is true. Banjo Kazooie, for example, broke 1 million sales in Japan iirc.
Banjo Kazooie's peak in Japan was ~400k with their debut game marked by Famitsu, in 2007.

Crash was the one who went platinum in Japan with Warped in less than a month.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I have been watching this person for long time and now so much progress has been done on making a 3D remake of SMRPG
That pierce sound when Exor falls into Bowser's Keep always gives me chills.

An official SMRPG remake would be nice, but I'm just sitting here still waiting for even a straight port of the SNES game.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
I have been watching this person for long time and now so much progress has been done on making a 3D remake of SMRPG
How long you want to bet it takes for this to get struck down, like Legacy XP and all the other nice things we can't have?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
How long you want to bet it takes for this to get struck down, like Legacy XP and all the other nice things we can't have?
At some point we are gonna have to push back when Nintendo does stuff like this. If I'm not mistaken, I still have the files to Legacy XP and won't be parting ways with them any time soon.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
At some point we are gonna have to push back when Nintendo does stuff like this. If I'm not mistaken, I still have the files to Legacy XP and won't be parting ways with them any time soon.
It really is as simple as making one's own website, just making the content anyway, posting and distributing it from the website, doing all of that under a screenname and then ignoring any DMCAs you get. Why no one thinks to do this, I just don't know.

You can even host a server on a Raspberry Pi so I don't know why it is people even worry about such things. Even if you were afraid of Nintendo going to your ISP (they won't, they're not that desperate or stupid), you can always just buy hosting from a country that ignores DMCA requests.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Alright here is a crazy thought i had what if the next smash game the newcomer trailer for Geno would require Mario to bring the Geno doll and ask Sora to open the keydoor in Star hill using his Keyblade and then when the keydoor expands and a light comes with a star spirit of Geno coming out of it and possess the Geno doll and then Geno then he turns around and see everyone behind him i think that would be epic and also Bowser and Peach would be present during that event with smiles on their faces seeing Geno again after more than 25 years of being gone.

also check out this awesome Star hill stage made in smash ID: S2DNKMBL if you want to have it
I won't show up. You may have to upload it yourself and give a new code.

Reactions: Dan

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Because Nintendo can and sometimes does follow through with legal action.

It's not worth getting into a legal battle.
There's no way they can do that against an anonymous person publishing stuff under a pseudonym. Who are they going to sue? Who would they know to sue?

People make fan games and write fanfiction and draw fanart all the time, all of which is illegal and therefore shouldn't be done, but literally nothing happens to most people so the fear of it is entirely baseless. Just because Nintendo singled out a few developers to try to make examples out of them doesn't change that fact; they're so few and Nintendo's overreaction to them was so extreme that the only logical conclusion that can be made is that Nintendo was simply using them to try to intimidate everyone else into compliance, and with intimidation, all the work has to be done by the victim. You give Nintendo that power by being afraid of them. So just stop being afraid of them. If there was any basis to the fear of being sued by them, fanfiction.net and AO3 could not possibly exist, so stop worrying about it and just make the games you want.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Honesty, I think Geno alongside Mallow has a better chance of appearing in Kingdom Hearts as a cameo like the other Square Enix characters. Imagine exploring Star Road as one of the worlds. Think that would be much easier to get than getting Nintendo and Square to work together again for potential remake or even Smash Bros.
Not in a million years, at least in my opinon. We are way more likely to see Geno in Smash, or an SMRPG remake or even sequel imo.

And a common misconception people seem to have about Kingdom Hearts is that they visit Final Fantasy/other Square worlds... they never have; it's either Disney worlds or content made specifically for the series.

I won't show up. You may have to upload it yourself and give a new code.
Doesn't show up for me either. I always get an error anytime I try to look up a stage like this.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
And you know fully well that this is the only line that they won´t cross. If people think Sora was a legal nightmare, Sora is nothing compared to the likes of Goku and other Shonen characters. Heck, Capcom vs Tatsunoko was close to unable to leave the Japanese border because the licensing for manga and anime properties is on a whole another level when it comes to legality.

And like I stated many times before in this thread. The side mode is not the selling point of Smash Bros (never has, never will). It is the rooster that does. And like I also said before... while Master Chief and/or Crash could be a big deal.. they are nowhere close to Sora level.... and I say that as someone that is indifferent on all 3 (Although I will admitt that Crash would have given me a sour taste in my mouth to some extent due to whats going on over at AB)
If they want the next game to not live in Smash Ultimate's shadow then thats exactly what they'll do. Tatsunoko vs Capcom DID leave Japan's shores in the end, hell there is even a game called Jump Force with all the Shounen Jump characters in it released in the states. Everyone is here was the selling point for Ultimate. Goku and other possibilities will be the seling point for the next smash game.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Not in a million years, at least in my opinon. We are way more likely to see Geno in Smash, or an SMRPG remake or even sequel imo.

And a common misconception people seem to have about Kingdom Hearts is that they visit Final Fantasy/other Square worlds... they never have; it's either Disney worlds or content made specifically for the series.

Doesn't show up for me either. I always get an error anytime I try to look up a stage like this.
If Geno was likely, he would be in right now in Ultimate with us rejoicing but that's not the case. Nintendo had other priorities so that's not possible including the remake or sequel. The closest we will get is SMRPG on NSO(And ngl, that service is already in hot water already)

At least in Geno in KH, there is no need for Nintendo involvement and they would more reason to use him than 'tendo. SE may not get their own worlds in KH but they do make important cameos like Final Fantasy or even The World ends with You with Neku, Despite Star Road being unlikely, having the Star Warrior there and even being a supporting fights with you at parts of the game would be great.

If they want the next game to not live in Smash Ultimate's shadow then that's exactly what they'll do. Tatsunoko vs Capcom DID leave Japan's shores in the end, hell there is even a game called Jump Force with all the Shounen Jump characters in it released in the states. Everyone is here was the selling point for Ultimate. Goku and other possibilities will be the seling point for the next smash game.
Like for reasons I said before, I don't want to the Smash to big like Ultimate again as not only is it unoriginal but it also comes with major set of problems we seen throughout this DLC season and make the game and even series look shallow. However if Nintendo or Sakurai do want top Ultimate in a natural manner, having a crossover like Smash Bros X Shonen Jump would make the most sense. I would happy and worried at the same time though imo.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I found a nice channel who does Mega Man X style remixes of videogame songs and he's done Smithy's second theme. Check it out, it's really cool!

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
The owner of the site
Then why would Google not be sued for all of the fan content put on their sites all the time? Like fan cartoons and fan videos and the like? Or fanfiction.net? Or AO3?

People are just not thinking about the problem and that's a shame. The reticence against making fan games even though people do so, including ROM hacks, all the time is completely irrational.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Then why would Google not be sued for all of the fan content put on their sites all the time? Like fan cartoons and fan videos and the like? Or fanfiction.net? Or AO3?

People are just not thinking about the problem and that's a shame. The reticence against making fan games even though people do so, including ROM hacks, all the time is completely irrational.
When you talk about Google, are you talking about Google specifically or Youtube? Because Google isn´t particularly a site in the traditional manner. They are more of a guide to "insert site here" that you are looking for. Youtube, on the other hand, is pretty clear that they are okay with putting out fan works as long as the company(s) doesn't demand it to be taken down. I can tell from experience as someone that has a Youtube channel that if you show or accidentally play something, the entire video can go down in seconds.

When it comes to Fanfiction.net and stuff like that... well even Nintendo back in the "bad youtube,r bad" days didn´t exactly saw those as important targets. as long as they don´t try and make money from it. The only reason why fan games/mods are such a target for Nintendo is that they don´t want their own DOTA on their hands. That's something fan art and fan fics aren´t able to potentially be

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
When you talk about Google, are you talking about Google specifically or Youtube? Because Google isn´t particularly a site in the traditional manner. They are more of a guide to "insert site here" that you are looking for. Youtube, on the other hand, is pretty clear that they are okay with putting out fan works as long as the company(s) doesn't demand it to be taken down. I can tell from experience as someone that has a Youtube channel that if you show or accidentally play something, the entire video can go down in seconds.

When it comes to Fanfiction.net and stuff like that... well even Nintendo back in the "bad youtube,r bad" days didn´t exactly saw those as important targets. as long as they don´t try and make money from it. The only reason why fan games/mods are such a target for Nintendo is that they don´t want their own DOTA on their hands. That's something fan art and fan fics aren´t able to potentially be
I think people post fan stuff both on Youtube and in Google Drive which Nintendo technically could sue over, too. Google has a lot of services people use for fan content. And let's be real, Youtube is hot garbage and there are better alternatives that are rising in popularity in recent years, but the point's still the same. Nintendo would have to literally take down the whole damn internet to stop fan content from being created if they cared that much, but they don't, so people shouldn't be worried about making fan games anonymously.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If they want the next game to not live in Smash Ultimate's shadow then thats exactly what they'll do. Tatsunoko vs Capcom DID leave Japan's shores in the end, hell there is even a game called Jump Force with all the Shounen Jump characters in it released in the states. Everyone is here was the selling point for Ultimate. Goku and other possibilities will be the seling point for the next smash game.
Goku doesn't have to be involved at all.

Take a look at this here poll and you will see that we have PLENTY of desired video game characters to mull through before we would ever be close enough to stuff like that. Not that Goku is impossible, but I feel as though that's the one rule to rule them all and Sakurai plans to stick to it. Even if that was broken, it would be only for Goku likely and would never happen again. Would be some Sora-level final reveal.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I think people post fan stuff both on Youtube and in Google Drive which Nintendo technically could sue over, too. Google has a lot of services people use for fan content. And let's be real, Youtube is hot garbage and there are better alternatives that are rising in popularity in recent years, but the point's still the same. Nintendo would have to literally take down the whole damn internet to stop fan content from being created if they cared that much, but they don't, so people shouldn't be worried about making fan games anonymously.
You are absolutely right that the internet is one massive Streisand effect. But that doesn´t change the fact that Nintendo is in their legal (not moral) right not to attack fangames if they so what to due to copyright and IP laws. Especially those that are trying to earn cash off (I´m looking at you places that tries to run P+, Beyond Melee etc)

Also, the problematic part is this also... if you make a fan game that catches people's eye, it catches the likes of Nintendos eyes... which makes it a likely target for it to be taken down. So you literally have to make them and not have them published at all if you want to stay of Nintendos radar.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
So do we have a specific timeframe for when Sora drops tomorrow? And if not, what time should we expect?

Shroob

Sup?
The biggest issue with fan games is that people who make them always make a big deal out of them.

You want Nintendo to not realize it? Stop heavily promoting it like what happened with Pokemon Uranium or AM2R. I get that you want attention for your project, but if it's a good game, people WILL find it, and the benefit of being underground, is that by the time that Nintendo does offer a C&D over its distribution, it's already too late.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Like for reasons I said before, I don't want to the Smash to big like Ultimate again as not only is it unoriginal but it also comes with major set of problems we seen throughout this DLC season and make the game and even series look shallow. However if Nintendo or Sakurai do want top Ultimate in a natural manner, having a crossover like Smash Bros X Shonen Jump would make the most sense. I would happy and worried at the same time though imo.
Whats about the DLC is making the game look shallow? I think its the opposite we them adding more depth to the game. With that said I have my issue with the DLC, particularly with much of them having exaggerated strengths and weaknesses and the developers seeming terrified of making them too strong. Smash X Shounen Jump is too limited as there are greater 4 party characters outside of that. Iron Man doesn't make too much sense anymore, but 4 years from now I'm sure they'll be some hugely popular western chars to choose from.

Goku doesn't have to be involved at all.

Take a look at this here poll and you will see that we have PLENTY of desired video game characters to mull through before we would ever be close enough to stuff like that. Not that Goku is impossible, but I feel as though that's the one rule to rule them all and Sakurai plans to stick to it. Even if that was broken, it would be only for Goku likely and would never happen again. Would be some Sora-level final reveal.
You're missing the point, the issue isn't are there chars to pick from? Its are there any characters who can surpass the gravitas that Ultimate had. As much as people point to Sora, Steve and Dragon's Quest inclusion is also monumental. No remaining character can compete with that, the closest is Master Chief and its only him. Goku, Naruto and other 4th party characters can surpass that. And if we're going 4th party it makes no sense to only use one. Bring in as much money and attention as possible.

Dan

Smash Lord
If Geno was likely, he would be in right now in Ultimate with us rejoicing but that's not the case. Nintendo had other priorities so that's not possible including the remake or sequel. The closest we will get is SMRPG on NSO(And ngl, that service is already in hot water already)

At least in Geno in KH, there is no need for Nintendo involvement and they would more reason to use him than 'tendo. SE may not get their own worlds in KH but they do make important cameos like Final Fantasy or even The World ends with You with Neku, Despite Star Road being unlikely, having the Star Warrior there and even being a supporting fights with you at parts of the game would be great.
I didn't say he was likely; I said him being in Smash is more likely than him being in Kingdom Hearts.

I suppose anything is possible, but the fact he originated in a Mario game makes him such a weird fit for Kingdom Hearts (not unlike how they don't want Disney characters in Smash). I think one of the enemies in Toy Box was slightly influenced by him if we want to pull at straws:

Honestly the more I look at this I think the influence is obvious and valid; it is literally a doll and the head at least is way too similar to be coincidental; heck, even the overalls could be a homage just to Mario in general.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So now that the game has received it's last major update, anyone have any good guides on modding the Switch? I have a few things I want to add into the game

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I hope that now that the DLC is done that Nintendo will release a version of Smash that includes all of it without having to download everything one at a time.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You're missing the point, the issue isn't are there chars to pick from? Its are there any characters who can surpass the gravitas that Ultimate had. As much as people point to Sora, Steve and Dragon's Quest inclusion is also monumental. No remaining character can compete with that, the closest is Master Chief and its only him. Goku, Naruto and other 4th party characters can surpass that. And if we're going 4th party it makes no sense to only use one. Bring in as much money and attention as possible.
The point isn't missed at all: you are just biased. You have convinced yourself that because Sora was the King of Red Tape and earned the title of Mr. Impossible and he got in that no single character or combination of characters could ever reach this high.

Now, if you actually read from the list I linked, you would have seen there are way more characters than you are letting on about. Let me break it down for you here: you are implying the characters I'm about to list are not monumental enough to keep the hype train fueled and moving, and not all of these are on this list either, as it's a bit dated now.
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Doom Guy
  • Dante
  • Rayman
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Reimu or anyone else from Touhou
  • Waluigi
  • 2B
  • Spyro
  • Stupid Fortnite character
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Actually impossible Mortal Kombat character.
  • Tails
  • Shadow
  • Dr. Robotnik
  • Dark Souls/Bloodborne character
  • Any popular character from a popular fighting game (Chun Li, Akuma, Sol Badguy, Nightmare, etc.)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Kratos
  • Anything from Valve
  • Bomberman
  • Raiden from Metal Gear Rising
  • Saber from Fate/Stay series, if she even counts
  • Agumon, if it even counts
  • Any popular indie character (Shovel Knight, Shantae, Undertale character, Hollow Knight character, Cave Story characters, Celeste character)
Acting as if any of these choices aren't near or at the same level of hype is being completely unrealistic. Don't worry, I get you man: Joker, DQ Crew, Banjo, Steve, Sephiroth and Sora all in one game is really hard to match up with...but only at first glance, maybe second. However, look at this massive list I just presented that you can pick from for the future, and you realize that Sakurai has barely scratched the surface, even if he did grab some of the more incredible choices already.

There are also two other things you aren't considering: I don't think you are considering the real possibility of a Deluxe in which all of Ultimate's roster returns AND we get more characters, and I don't think you are considering the power of granting grass-roots fan requests.

I don't want to go into Deluxe territory here as I'm saving that for a big content moment, but I'll go into the fan portion here. You see, in that big list I gave, I purposely skipped over a number of characters. These characters are ones that aren't super popular and are more or less universally hype, but are instead ones that show that the creators are listening and that the power of fan demand is real, characters who only have a real chance because of the community pushing so hard for so long. These are your Genos, your Bandanna Dees, your Dixies, your Isaacs, your Porkys...these characters are just as important, if not more important, than your Steves, your Soras, your Chiefs. See, Smash has this thing where Sakurai and Nintendo have to balance out getting in very popular characters with granting the wishes of their fan base, and funnily enough it very rarely crosses over with Sora being one of the very few exceptions of being both incredibly popular and a massive request for years. Waluigi has morphed into one of the exceptions as well, being mostly a meme by most and wanted by hardcore fans at first, but building into this massive thing over time where he is genuinely a popular Mario character.

A lot of people would agree that Smash Ultimate ruined this balance, that it catered too much to the popular and not enough to the fan requests, and it's easy to see why: the DLC really only has three of these over 11 characters, being the DQ Crew, Banjo and Sora. The rest are either massively popular with a much smaller request, were never asked for in the first place, or fell off in request over time and now other characters are wanted more than them. When you add in how ARMS and XBC2 got characters in the DLC when people expected them in base where they would have fit much better, it really feels like the DLC wasn't handled as well from a request perspective as it could have been.

The base game hit numbers a lot better, giving us Inkling, Daisy, Ridley, Castlevania, Chrom, Dark Samus and K. Rool, but sadly three of these are echoes that could have been much more unique if the game wasn't rushed. So, considering only fully unique newcomer inclusions, Ultimate has Ridley, Simon Belmont, K. Rool, DQ Crew, Banjo and Sora in terms of listening to the fans who of been out there for years begging for their most wanted to get in. With this in mind, they could very easily focus on more of THESE kind of requests and balance it out with a few from that list I gave, and it would very easily meet or even exceed what has been set by Ultimate, especially if a Deluxe is in the works and no cuts are made.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i wouldnt mind having Goku in smash but the problem is i think his inclusion would open floodgates that will cause many awesome video game characters to not join in and anime characters gets chosen instead because the anime community would collide with the smash community which means many characters that will be heavily supported will be from anime and wipe out so many video game characters from hearing the support the only way i would find Goku to be acceptable if he is the only anime character and no other anime character would come after him as a rule.

its hard to say that we run out of "hype" kind of characters not every character needs supports in order to become hype there are many picks out there that brings a lot of hype yet it barely gets any support from smash community for example :ultkazuya::ult_terry: are not kind of characters that did get alot of support in the smash community but it actually still hypes a lot of people out there including the ones who arent from the smash community however the most important part is they should be type of characters that people would enjoy playing.

i would even say Creeper and Tetromino could bring so much hype and money despite barely having any support from the smash community so its safe to say we are not running out of hype yet inculding the unexpected picks that people would probably enjoy.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
i wouldnt mind having Goku in smash but the problem is i think his inclusion would open floodgates that will cause many awesome video game characters to not join in and anime characters gets chosen instead because the anime community would collide with the smash community which means many characters that will be heavily supported will be from anime and wipe out so many video game characters from hearing the support the only way i would find Goku to be acceptable if he is the only anime character and no other anime character would come after him as a rule.

its hard to say that we run out of "hype" kind of characters not every character needs supports in order to become hype there are many picks out there that brings a lot of hype yet it barely gets any support from smash community for example :ultkazuya::ult_terry: are not kind of characters that did get alot of support in the smash community but it actually still hypes a lot of people out there including the ones who arent from the smash community however the most important part is they should be type of characters that people would enjoy playing.

i would even say Creeper and Tetromino could bring so much hype and money despite barely having any support from the smash community so its safe to say we are not running out of hype yet inculding the unexpected picks that people would probably enjoy.
Eh, not Kazuya per se, but Heihachi, and Tekken in general, had a large Smash hype behind it, it just died out when the Heihachi costume dropped in Min Min's patch.

Tekken had the luxury of being a series that Sakurai mentioned he had considered.

Griselda

Smash Lord
For anyone who has every fighter.. What does the completed stage select screen look like? That empty space at the bottom always bothered me, because it didn't seem like it was going to be filled even counting all of the fighters I'm not getting.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
For anyone who has every fighter.. What does the completed stage select screen look like? That empty space at the bottom always bothered me, because it didn't seem like it was going to be filled even counting all of the fighters I'm not getting.
As someone that bought both, I can mention that there are 3 black spots left until it would be a perfect square

As Sora is finally added. Ultimate comes to a close. Smash is finally finished.

Who bought Sora?
I bought both fighters passes from the start so (it would annoy me to not have every fighter so)

Edit - By the looks of it Sora ended up as a "last-minute inclusion" as the Sakurai column according to Push Dustin changed from the planned 5 to 6 after Disney gave them greenlight https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1450855113015267339

Last edited:
Top Bottom