• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've seen many talk about this, but I mean it's just a good guess honestly. People saying that there is no way he could've guessed those Heroes are probably people who never played DQ ever or know about the series that much, because those would be the obvious choices as they are the ones that work and are most popular
This. I barely know Dragon Quest but the four heros are basically: the most important one (Erdrick), the SNES/Boomer pick (IV), the most popular in the West (VIII) and the most recent (Luminary). It also helps that all these guys are technically the same size, have the most design similarities, and use the same type of weapon.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
With Hero's "demo" coming up tomorrow, I would advise to keep a sharp eye on the entirety of the video. With Nintendo giving the heads-up that ver. 4.0 is coming as well, and the possibility that Sakurai might delve into the additional content within that version update, be on the lookout for potential "hints" to the last two DLC fighters. During the ver. 3.0 "direct" where they showed off Stage Builder, there were a few custom stages that had a dragon theme, and then there was the witch-themed stage, which IMMEDIATELY (at least that was my case, and certainly many other Banjoroos as well) made me think of Gruntilda; thus Banjo & Kazooie potentially being hinted. Of course such details at the time were mostly discarded as possible hints, but E3 2019 in a way validated said hints (especially the witch-themed stage). Having said this, just be sure to keep an eye out for any "curious" potential hints for the remaining two DLC fighters, and/or future content.
The Ultimate Chimera stage better mean Porky is coming if these were actually hints, somehow.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
With Hero's "demo" coming up tomorrow, I would advise to keep a sharp eye on the entirety of the video. With Nintendo giving the heads-up that ver. 4.0 is coming as well, and the possibility that Sakurai might delve into the additional content within that version update, be on the lookout for potential "hints" to the last two DLC fighters. During the ver. 3.0 "direct" where they showed off Stage Builder, there were a few custom stages that had a dragon theme, and then there was the witch-themed stage, which IMMEDIATELY (at least that was my case, and certainly many other Banjoroos as well) made me think of Gruntilda; thus Banjo & Kazooie potentially being hinted. Of course such details at the time were mostly discarded as possible hints, but E3 2019 in a way validated said hints (especially the witch-themed stage). Having said this, just be sure to keep an eye out for any "curious" potential hints for the remaining two DLC fighters, and/or future content.
Mfw they show a skeleton and Sans becomes the most likely candidate out of all possible hints shown.

Attachments

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
True, but it's still very easy to fake stuff like this with Inspect Element and make it seem like it was posted back in December. And really, what would be the odds that some rando on 4chan just so happened to leak all of the Fighter Pass characters, down to the detail of Hero being 4 DQ characters? Pretty low if you ask me.

Also the person said or when listing all of the dragon quest games. This just comes of as a guess honestly.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, PapaGenos made a vid about the supposed leak.

Lord, this went downhill fast. :facepalm:
About that leak...

Yeah, we're screwed. :troll:

Joke aside, I don't think it was meant to be a like, since it was more of a response than the original post. I think it was more of a trying-to-be-realistic wishlist if anything.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just want this slow news day to flipping disappear. Not that slow periods are anything new (lord knows how most people here managed to tolerate 4's dead periods), but this day in particular is basically a purely dumb filler episode right before plot progress happens.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Guys, this scenario is so weird. Sakurai hosting a livestream? I know I didn't bring up my opinion in this before but Fatmanonice is on to something. Why would Sakurai host a livestream over Dragon Quest? What makes it so special? You could say it's because he's a fan of Dragon Quest but he also really enjoyed Persona 5 so why didn't he livestream Joker instead of shadow dropping the reveal? Maybe it's coincidence but something may be going on...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Guys, this scenario is so weird. Sakurai hosting a livestream? I know I didn't bring up my opinion in this before but Fatmanonice is on to something. Why would Sakurai host a livestream over Dragon Quest? What makes it so special? You could say it's because he's a fan of Dragon Quest but he also really enjoyed Persona 5 so why didn't he livestream Joker instead of shadow dropping the reveal? Maybe it's coincidence but something may be going on...
I'd say it's because of how huge DQ is in the East. Then again, it's an international prerecorded 'stream', but... it could easily just be because of release dates. DQ is just a very special case in Japan, so it getting the spotlight over Persona 5 isn't too surprising. Maybe SE wanted him to do it, too.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'd say it's because of how huge DQ is in the East. Then again, it's an international prerecorded 'stream', but... it could easily just be because of release dates. DQ is just a very special case in Japan, so it getting the spotlight over Persona 5 isn't too surprising. Maybe SE wanted him to do it, too.
That's a fair point. It just feels a little surreal, I guess. So many things happened over the past few weeks, all of which could be coincidences but maybe...?
My hopes are next to none for anything besides 4.0.0 content tomorrow but I'll keep that star-shaped dream at the back of my mind when it happens.

May the birds flock tomorrow.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I don’t really get why people get fussy over indies.

They’re all videogame characters, I doubt Sakurai or Nintendo are gonna choose one to represent them all instead of treating them like other videogames. Yes, they come from a small dev team/company, so yes, Nintendo has a special Direct to give them attention, but I doubt there’s gonna be some strict “one indie character per Smash game” rule, or that Shovel Knight would somehow steal Shantae’s spot
It's not that Sakurai would decide "hmmmm, yes, we will have exactly one indie character and no more. I have decreed it" at the beginning of the project. It's that negotiating for ONE indie character would likely be exceedingly complicated, so it's more likely that one would be chosen before any other, and that process would make it less likely/feasible to seek another indie character in the same development cycle.

And one main reason Ultimate was started was presumably because Sak noticed that 4 was perceived as not entirely satisfactory in regards to character choices.
Is there any source for this claim, or is it speculation?

>monster hunter

I thought everyone said it was from franchises not already in smash. This would break that statement.
That's an oft-parroted misparaphrasing of a quote from Reggie that basically just said "all the DLC characters will be newcomers". Nothing has been said about all the DLC being from new franchises (though I think that's guaranteed at this point, what with each reveal trailer featuring a "Super Smash Bros X ________" graphic)

If not for the alleged secrecy surrounding the contents of this video, I'd say there's a 5% chance of there being a new character reveal tomorrow. The fact that the video is unscripted only adds to my doubt, because we've seen how much effort and care is put into each character reveal for the pass. We were concerned that the Joker reveal was gonna be the highest-quality reveal trailer we'd get for the FP, with even Sakurai saying not to expect full CG trailers for each character, only for E3 to come around and deliver beautiful, lovingly-rendered trailers for Hero and Banjo. I just don't see Character 4 being revealed as a "oh yeah, here's this person, pre-order now!" type thing.

Honestly, my big concern with tomorrow is whether or not we'll see the Mii Costumes. It seems kinda stupid to NOT showcase the costumes if they're gonna be released the next day, but who knows.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
It's not that Sakurai would decide "hmmmm, yes, we will have exactly one indie character and no more. I have decreed it" at the beginning of the project. It's that negotiating for ONE indie character would likely be exceedingly complicated, so it's more likely that one would be chosen before any other, and that process would make it less likely/feasible to seek another indie character in the same development cycle.

That's an oft-parroted misparaphrasing of a quote from Reggie that basically just said "all the DLC characters will be newcomers". Nothing has been said about all the DLC being from new franchises (though I think that's guaranteed at this point, what with each reveal trailer featuring a "Super Smash Bros X ________" graphic)

If not for the alleged secrecy surrounding the contents of this video, I'd say there's a 5% chance of there being a new character reveal tomorrow. The fact that the video is unscripted only adds to my doubt, because we've seen how much effort and care is put into each character reveal for the pass. We were concerned that the Joker reveal was gonna be the highest-quality reveal trailer we'd get for the FP, with even Sakurai saying not to expect full CG trailers for each character, only for E3 to come around and deliver beautiful, lovingly-rendered trailers for Hero and Banjo. I just don't see Character 4 being revealed as a "oh yeah, here's this person, pre-order now!" type thing.

Honestly, my big concern with tomorrow is whether or not we'll see the Mii Costumes. It seems kinda stupid to NOT showcase the costumes if they're gonna be released the next day, but who knows.
That's how they did it with Mewtwo in Sm4sh though. I'm not saying they'd do that for fighter four but you can't say it's impossible because they did do that during the 50 Fact Extravaganza.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
They seem to have 'leaked' Hero's release date, but it could have easily been a lucky guess, too.
I thought Queen was talked about in one of the posts...now I feel a bit dumb

MattX20

Smash Hero
I thought Queen was talked about in one of the posts...now I feel a bit dumb
The only insider sources that we consider truly viable are Sabi and her NOA source. So, call me a bit skeptical over this person.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Oh boy they posted the exact two things everyone is expecting from 4.0 anyway. I am going to put all my blind trust into this person.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The only insider sources that we consider truly viable are Sabi and her NOA source. So, call me a bit skeptical over this person.
I wouldn't say that. Sabi, her NoA source, Shinobi, and a few others I can't remember the names of are very reputable. There are a few out there, but this Queen person ain't it, chief.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If Geno turns out to be a costume, what would that starling picture that Sabi's source, whatever their name is, that they posted mean?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Probably the latter, since I saw this on TV Tropes in the CMOA section anyway:
When did he start planning this game? While he was working on the DLC for the previous game. A video game producer who sees a lukewarm reception to his previous effort and responds by immediately planning a crowd-pleasing followup is as wonderful as it is rare. After Bayonetta was released and we all thought, "well, that's it for Smash for a long while", he was hard at work.
If Geno turns out to be a costume, what would that starling picture that Sabi's source, whatever their name is, that they posted mean?
Probably STAAAAAAAAAAARS. Or something completely unrelated to Smash, I guess.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
As much as I like PapaGenos and his content, he's way too gullible sometimes. Or maybe the right word is he's too trusting?
Why? Monster Hunter Spirits + boss in-game, Doom on Switch and leaker nailed all DLC two days after Ultimate came out.

I've been down this road before; I can handle it again.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
I didn't know which sources this forum was considered truly viable so again I apologize

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why? Monster Hunter Spirits + boss in-game, Doom on Switch and leaker nailed all DLC two days after Ultimate came out.

The last time we had a "realistic" roster leak, it had Steve and Doomguy in it.

To those fakers; Fool me once, I'm mad, fool me twice, how could you, fool me three times, you're officially that person, okay?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

Why add the Monster Hunter so late in the cycle though? Wouldn't it have made more sense to bring them in with the Rathalos?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Aw man...

I'm sorry, who the heck is that and what makes them credible?
They're not. Just scroll through their Twitter and see thing after thing that's totally wrong. None of their unique claims have come true and a lot of it is stuff that's been floating around in space forever like a Pikmin 3 port and the Metroid Prime trilogy coming to Switch.

It also doesn't help that Homerun contest and the Geno Mii costume are the "safe" predictions that people have been insisting on for month now.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely hope that's not how this pass ends. You completely ruin a big surprise moment for the Monster Hunter character by including Monster Hunter content from launch. What could have been a great reveal essentially becomes just disappointing in my eyes. Also, I know Doomslayer would be a huge deal for some folks but to me he's just sorta...meh. Not actively rooting against him, I already got someone I care about revealed, he just does nothing for me personally.

TL;DR:

The DLC lineup so far has been stellar/surprising. If these are the last two, it ends with less than a whimper in my eyes, like every string of Smash reveals...

MattX20

Smash Hero
They're not. Just scroll through their Twitter and see thing after thing that's totally wrong. None of their unique claims have come true and a lot of it is stuff that's been floating around in space forever like a Pikmin 3 port and the Metroid Prime trilogy coming to Switch.
Yep, I figured as much.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I sincerely hope that's not how this pass ends. You completely ruin a big surprise moment for the Monster Hunter character by including Monster Hunter content from launch. What could have been a great reveal essentially becomes just disappointing in my eyes. Also, I know Doomslayer would be a huge deal for some folks but to me he's just sorta...meh. Not actively rooting against him, I already got someone I care about revealed, he just does nothing for me personally.

TL;DR:

The DLC lineup so far has been stellar/surprising. If these are the last two, it ends with less than a whimper in my eyes, like every string of Smash reveals...
I mean, most people have counted out Monster Hunter in playable form since Rathalos being revealed, so I’d honestly argue it’s more surprising to see a Hunter show up afterwards (which... could either be one of the best characters in Smash or horribly uninspired depending on how they’re handled).

Also, if your game ends support with a crossover with DOOM, I’m pretty sure that’s the literal antithesis of a whimper lol.

Not that I believe this leak, it seems generic as **** on 4chan and seems to be popping up at a very strange time. I really doubt it and even if they got the first three correct, DOOM’s one of the top predictions at the moment and Monster Hunter is an easy one that you can point to something in game and say, “See, this was totally in line with this” after the fact.

Edit: That said, I wouldn’t be upset with these two at all as I love both series. I’d just be super surprised to see Monster Hunter turn back up at this point because I’ve generally considered it out of the running all speculation cycle since Rathalos was shown off.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Possibly. Sakurai's "live" events usually have surprises tacked to them too. Wii Fit led off his Smash 4 demo. Pac-Man was at the end of his E3 2015 Q&A. Of course, there's the VGA's. Joker's presentation was pretty much the only exception of a Smash presentation since 2007 that didn't have a character reveal but it's easy to note that Joker had absolutely no gameplay footage up until that point so it kind of was like a true reveal.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I mean, most people have counted out Monster Hunter in playable form since Rathalos being revealed, so I’d honestly argue it’s more surprising to see a Hunter show up afterwards (which... could either be one of the best characters in Smash or horribly uninspired depending on how they’re handled).

Also, if your game ends support with a crossover with DOOM, I’m pretty sure that’s the literal antithesis of a whimper lol.

Not that I believe this leak, it seems generic as **** on 4chan and seems to be popping up at a very strange time. I really doubt it and even if they got the first three correct, DOOM’s one of the top predictions at the moment and Monster Hunter is an easy one that you can point to something in game and say, “See, this was totally in line with this” after the fact.
Yeah I know it wouldn't be a whimper to most if not everyone else, it would just be white noise to me though is all.

EDIT: Also, there is a such thing as a bad surprise. See the November direct Assist Trophy reel. Some info shouldn't be held back too long. Again though, maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
inb4 ver. 4.0's new mode ends up being a legit, entirely brand new mode that will knock everyone's socks off! Plus ULTRA secret character reveal. I'm hype. I am prepared for the salt to consume me. :2gud:

Not really though. The heat's UNBEARABLE.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
If the supposed Adelaine leak is real and holds any credibility...

5763E8C0-C370-4CCB-B003-ECEFC985D757.gif

A9382386-1888-49AE-A885-3D14998CC8E7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom