• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Well, I'm not giving up until the DLC cycle ends. This game has been known to break many fan rules and just because the Geno Mii costume came back that doesn't mean if there's a Fighter's Pass 3 Geno couldn't happen.
I mean, i wasnt saying anything about genos chances, i was specifically saying that mii costume guys list just aint a good source

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, i wasnt saying anything about genos chances, i was specifically saying that mii costume guys list just aint a good source
Well just because the Geno Mii costume came back that doesn't completely count that list out. We won't know what will happen until the DLC cycle is over.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I don't do breaks because I know as soon as I do, the comments will come flooding in to harass you all.

"Oh look, your God Emperor has abandoned you!"

"I guess Fatman has moved on to his next big con!"

"Haha, I bet the dude killed himself over a video game character. I hope it's true!"

You guys don't need that. I don't need that. Worse comes to worse I'm staying until the end of DLC in a year so we're all just kind of stuck with each other.
I will say this in response - if you ever do need a break, I can safely say most of us don't give a damn about those types of people who'd say that. You've given a metric hell ton to this community in reason, theory, wit and hope so if you ever want a short break, you take it and know we'll be here to welcome you back with joy and open arms, bud. :)

One thing that honestly kills me and something I feel like I rant about at least twice a year is that people forget that I wasn't big on Geno for Smash 4 because the EVIDENCE wasn't there. People get mad at me for not talking about certain characters like Rex or Doomguy but the only reason I don't is because the evidence isn't there. The stuff for Geno and SMRPG is still abundant and now comes the task of actually hammering out the kinks to get a better picture of things. A question I've been asked all day "why is Geno any different from the Resident Evil spirits or the Heihachi Mii" and the answer is simply that the evidence never stacked up. The only thing Resident Evil had is the RUMOR that Jill was considered at one point and Heihachi had Sakurai's comments from Smash 4 about trying to get him to work and MAYBE giving him the benefit of the doubt of being a Ridley situation in Ultimate. I wrote a damn essay about what Geno had going for him at the beginning of the year and even more came out this year including some of the biggest names in Smash speculation being on the Geno Train. Once again, this is not something that's going to be figured out in a day or a week or maybe even a month. Like anything else, it's going to take time and patience would be appreciated.
We've waited this long. What's 3ish more characters length of time?

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
Damn bro you're so funny you got me rolling on the floor
View attachment 296177
Hello everybody! Longtime (about a year now) lurker and Geno supporter. I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to post here as I was just content reading everything, but I had to make an account. I saw the quoted post and needed to make this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Internet can be quite toxic at times. So yesterday, people were telling me on Youtube "I told you so! Geno isn't coming." And another person told me "Famous last words." like, some of my comments they're replying back to are from months ago and they took their time to find those videos with me in the comments saying "It isn't over yet" or "I believe Geno's coming" just to say "HAHAHAHAHA ** you
". Man, what losers waste their time and energy to do this **
and attack fans like us.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
For me, this is the final stop. I've never been the most active poster in this thread but I've read you guys on and off and I've been getting excited with the theories and conspiracies that we've found regarding Geno's chances. For me, Sephiroth's inclusion is the end of the road. To be honest, I'm just sad Geno didn't get a special Mii costume like Sans and Cuphead, and that even with a 1000 songs included in the game (counting DLC) we still don't have Beware of the Mushroom Forests in the fricking OST.

Personally, I'm happy Geno's chances died with Sephiroth (like a certain someone lol), and not with Hero, who made me feel complete indifference when he was announced. Sephiroth was included with a love song to FFVII, one of my childhood games along with Super Mario RPG (among others): a mind-blowing stage and 9 amazing songs, one of which even brought me to tears. So it's a bittersweet ending for me.

I just hope Square and Nintendo will bring back Super Mario RPG one day, and with it Geno and Mallow. They both mean a lot to players all around the world and it makes me sad that they're in the forgotten realm of gaming.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh wow, you guys - some Geno concept art, look at this!

He looks like a Sonic character in these early sketches.

Fatman.

Were you there for the Smash 4 Ridley shadow theories?
I know you were replying to Fatman, but I was there during the whole Ridley Pyrosphere silhouette *. At the time I was on the Smash Sub-Reddit and it sucked. We thought Ridley was going to be playable because we thought the silhouette was too small but we were wrong. The silhouette was shown off in the Smash 4 April 2014 Smash Direct and than Ridley was fully revealed as a stage hazard in the 50-Fact Extravaganza. Just like now, people saw Ridley fans as a laughing stock after that pushing the "Ridley is too big" meme HARD. I was there to go through all that *.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I've been thinking, since the Geno costume is back, what does this mean for the rumored Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes on Mii Costume Guy's list?
Swerving potshots from the peanut gallery, here's where that stands:

unknown-9~2.png

This is still 5 of the 7 and the other two are MIA. The reason why Mii Costume Guy is so notable is that Mii costume information is incredibly hard to come by. It's a very niche thing and for someone to not only produce a list but bullseye left field picks like Goemon and Rocket Grunt is extremely impressive. In Smash 4, Protoman came with Megaman X, not Zero, so there was no reason to expect this pairing either unless they genuinely knew something. That's why this one example is do peculiar. It would be assinine to assume it was a lucky guess and being correct for 5 of the 7 while two are merely missing does not imply bad information.

Beyond this, there's other things supporting at least the Mallow hat. Cacomallow is still definitely a thing and it took the modding community a whopping 8 months to even figure out to modify Mii costumes to the degree Cacomallow did, nevermind actually replicating it. Other people have heard about the Mallow hat too including people connected with Papagenos. This said, the Mallow hat isn't an MCG exclusive, in fact, it's the only one he's named that isn't. "Well, what if those other guys are just lying?" Based on who they've come from, I genuinely doubt it. This said, the Mallow hat is just one of many, many loose ends at the moment.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Swerving potshots from the peanut gallery, here's where that stands:

View attachment 296181

This is still 5 of the 7 and the other two are MIA. The reason why Mii Costume Guy is so notable is that Mii costume information is incredibly hard to come by. It's a very niche thing and for someone to not only produce a list but bullseye left field picks like Goemon and Rocket Grunt is extremely impressive. In Smash 4, Protoman came with Megaman X, not Zero, so there was no reason to expect this pairing either unless they genuinely knew something. That's why this one example is do peculiar. It would be assinine to assume it was a lucky guess and being correct for 5 of the 7 while two are merely missing does not imply bad information.

Beyond this, there's other things supporting at least the Mallow hat. Cacomallow is still definitely a thing and it took the modding community a whopping 8 months to even figure out to modify Mii costumes to the degree Cacomallow did, nevermind actually replicating it. Other people have heard about the Mallow hat too including people connected with Papagenos. This said, the Mallow hat isn't an MCG exclusive, in fact, it's the only one he's named that isn't. "Well, what if those other guys are just lying?" Based on who they've come from, I genuinely doubt it. This said, the Mallow hat is just one of many, many loose ends at the moment.
One thing I wonder is, well it’s a pretty small thing and probably nothing, but all costumes are seperated by a new line
this

but then there’s ”Mallow/Smithy” written like this. If we’re speculating with our hearts and for the love of the game that’s something I noticed.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
For me Geno still has chances to be playable until Sakurai ends the roster officially. Not even as a deluxe costume. Geno can perfectly be #81 or Bonus. Or maybe 79 for his 25 birthday.

We just have to wait and see.

There is no way. This has to be a joke and then the real Geno will descend!
We have three Square Enix representatives already, the writing is on the wall.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He looks like a Sonic character in these early sketches.

I know you were replying to Fatman, but I was there during the whole Ridley Pyrosphere silhouette *. At the time I was on the Smash Sub-Reddit and it sucked. We thought Ridley was going to be playable because we thought the silhouette was too small but we were wrong. The silhouette was shown off in the Smash 4 April 2014 Smash Direct and than Ridley was fully revealed as a stage hazard in the 50-Fact Extravaganza. Just like now, people saw Ridley fans as a laughing stock after that pushing the "Ridley is too big" meme HARD. I was there to go through all that *.
If I really wanted to be blunt about his implication:

tenor.png

Yep, totally the same. A shadow on the floor is definitely the equivalent of two years worth of research and networking. Yup, gullible ol' Fatman.

Before my blood pressure spikes enough to put me in a coma, yet another reason I still support Geno is because he ties into other stuff I've gotten. For example, the DK stuff: that's coming along nicely, isn't it? Same people backing that who backed Geno. Oh hey, this dude who correctly knew about things like Breath of the Wild 2, Xenoblade DE, Super Mario 3DStars, and likely wind up being right about Diamond and Pearl Remakes? Geno in Smash was part of his **** too. The guy who Sabi literally stole all of E3 2019 from? Yup, he had stuff on Geno too. This is also something that pisses me off about even mods and GRimers coming in here and telling me to burn everything, ESPECIALLY when several have backed up stuff I've talked about in private, most notably stuff like DK, the SMRPG Remake/Remaster, and Halo in Smash. Pardon me if I'm being Yosemite Sam about it but it's not like I saw the shadow of a dog in my backyard and was like "HOLY ****IN'**** THE EASTER BUNNY IS REAL" and I'm definitely side-eyeing a couple of them who are like "Mmmmm, you should quit" when "Mmmmm, you were somebody who backed up this information only a few months ago..."

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Listen y'all I know we had our differences, I know we had a falling out but allow me to say: I'm a Geno fan too, I'm mourning too. Geno not even getting a deluxe mii costume or a Song? That hurts. It's over.... For This Game.

Did the K. Rool fans give up when they got Mii Costume'd alongside us last game? NO. They stood their ground, grit their teeth and got to work and look how far it got them. Did the Ridley fans give up when they were a boss two games in a row? NO. They didn't even hesitate to get to work.
King K. Rool was a Mii costume as a consolation prize for not being a fighter for Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS. More importantly, King K. Rool and Ridley are first party Nintendo villains, can't really compare them to Geno.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Okay, it's been a while since I talked here...

So, I'm kinda sad that we didn't avoid the Mii Costume Bullet and I was hoping for you guys. As I mentioned a while ago, I'm already pretty happy with Ultimate, but I was rooting for this great community and all of the amazing people in here. With that in mind, I have 3 things to say.

1. Whatever your choice is on regards to Geno in Smash (still have hopes or give up), it's a valid one. I'll probably won't be as active anymore with Smash Speculation, because I don't think anyone can predict what happens next in this wild ride.
2. Even if Geno isn't appearing in Smash as a Playable Fighter, this shouldn't be the end of the road for people who want to see SMRPG and it's characters back into their former glory. We are one of the biggest communities of Smash and we were able to reach a long way. If I were to suggest, we should follow in the footsteps of the Isaac Thread and keep the flames strong. If we can't get a character in Smash, we get a character in it's own game.
3. Don't blame people for wanting some closure or to discover what is going on. If that is your only reason to be here, then I recommend going to another place.

BONUS: Also, I just want to thank for the wild ride. I'll still be around from time to time, maybe even talking about the in-game updates as Pinshadow used to do. Hope to still see all of you guys around!

Last edited:

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
Still the cacomallow situation is very weird....

This and the Smithy/Mallow list...

I truly wonder if we're not getting ANOTHER Mario rpg rep ??? I mean we got Steve, anything can happen

Or we're getting a Mario related character such as paper mario, and it introduces new Mario RPG costumes

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Still the cacomallow situation is very weird....

This and the Smithy/Mallow list...

I truly wonder if we're not getting ANOTHER Mario rpg rep ??? I mean we got Steve, anything can happen

Or we're getting a Mario related character such as paper mario, and it introduces new Mario RPG costumes
If Cacomallow and this mysterious Mii list were correct two years ago, I can't help but think maybe the Smash development team wanted to put Geno in the game fully, but Square Enix made them turn to Sephiroth because of FF7R. Though this is probably inaccurate, though.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
If Cacomallow and this mysterious Mii list were correct two years ago, I can't help but think maybe the Smash development team wanted to put Geno in the game fully, but Square Enix made them turn to Sephiroth because of FF7R. Though this is probably inaccurate, though.
I mean it's far from impossible, would explain why we got him so far in, he was planned probably

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, even though Geno turned out to be a Mii Costume, there's still the rumors of Lloyd and Hayabusa that have been heard by Fatman and various sources. We need to see this pass out to the end to see how much is still accurate.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo would've chosen Sephiroth outright. Since it's made hard clear they chose the characters and definitely not Sakurai. Nobody else would've chosen them either, because that's really not how Sakurai does things when negotiating. If he can't get the character, he's not going to go for someone else. He's pretty stern about that.

It makes sense for them to choose Sephiroth, an iconic villain and all. Sakurai, when being talked to about it, said yes to Nintendo, and then went with them to talk to SE. That's really as simple as it would be. That doesn't mean the basic Geno costume was figured out then, cause it was probably intended to come with Hero, but moved after they figured out pass 2. It may have also been said "no, not with the Enix characters" as well, so Sakurai/Nintendo/SE in general would've brought it back with Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, or Byleth. And then, well, Pass 2 comes up and you have a significantly better option with Sephiroth.

Even if the Smash Team wanted him in, that wouldn't have made a difference in negotiations. If anything, that's at best why the costume is back instead of scrapped. At least they were able to polish it up a bit, so that's nice. It's not "great" by any means, but it's at least up to basic standards. I won't deny it should've been Premium either, though. Especially cause we'd get nice songs.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Why did Nintendo shoot down those SMRPG songs on YouTube though?
So they could use the song in the trailer but not include it in the game, of course. I'm not salty about this at all...

Nintendo would've chosen Sephiroth outright. Since it's made hard clear they chose the characters and definitely not Sakurai. Nobody else would've chosen them either, because that's really not how Sakurai does things when negotiating. If he can't get the character, he's not going to go for someone else. He's pretty stern about that.

It makes sense for them to choose Sephiroth, an iconic villain and all. Sakurai, when being talked to about it, said yes to Nintendo, and then went with them to talk to SE. That's really as simple as it would be. That doesn't mean the basic Geno costume was figured out then, cause it was probably intended to come with Hero, but moved after they figured out pass 2. It may have also been said "no, not with the Enix characters" as well, so Sakurai/Nintendo/SE in general would've brought it back with Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, or Byleth. And then, well, Pass 2 comes up and you have a significantly better option with Sephiroth.

Even if the Smash Team wanted him in, that wouldn't have made a difference in negotiations. If anything, that's at best why the costume is back instead of scrapped. At least they were able to polish it up a bit, so that's nice. It's not "great" by any means, but it's at least up to basic standards. I won't deny it should've been Premium either, though. Especially cause we'd get nice songs.
Yeah, this seems more plausible. Sephiroth is totally the bigger icon. I'm not upset about his inclusion at all. He looks awesome. Mii Gunner Geno looks improved, too. I'll definitely be picking both up.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Probably because of Square-Enix, who likely owns the music. They don't want any music up, and when you have IP holders beyond the company, they get even more picky.

Maybe they intended to do another re-release of the game soon, so having music up pretty much is not in their interest. Another thing to consider is that Youtube songs also means they can't even attempt to release OST's. That's why a lot get taken down, outside of unofficial fan remixes at best. Not all do, but it's quite common. You actually have most Power Rangers songs being taken down simply because of an actual OST release. Compilations of every theme song is less of an issue cause it's not going to be all findable. It varies, though. They don't seem to care about the MMPR constant themes being uploaded. It could also relate to who the composer is. That, and don't forget Companies actually do have songs/etc. sold on Youtube too, so it staying up can depend upon context.

At best, this just means its take down is unlikely to be related to Smash itself.

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
So they could use the song in the trailer but not include it in the game, of course. I'm not salty about this at all...
Some people have brought up licensing a song for advertisement purposes verses commercial purposes, but it does make me think.

For the songs to be taken down due to copyright by, specifically, Nintendo, wouldn’t Nintendo have to own the songs?

If the songs were owned by a different entity, the copyright strike would be for that entity, correct? (Aka. It would be square hitting the videos with copyright, not Nintendo)

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Something I think is pretty clear by now is that this Fighter Pass is meant to be profitable now that the number of games sold is way less than when the first Fighter Pass was released. The previous pass had Terry and arguably Hero, who are not that big in the west, and Banjo, who is not that big in Japan. Joker is a bit in the middle of "superpopular" and "who is this guy?", and Byleth was clearly meant to promote Three Houses.

So far, the second fighter pass has:
-Min Min (clearly meant to push ARMS a bit between Smash fans, as it didn't do as well as other new IPs like Splatoon).
-Steve (I mean... out of all the DLC fighters I think he's the one that's gonna be sold "solo" the most).
-Sephiroth (one of the most popular game villains from one of the most popular games ever that just got a remake. Money money money).

I have no clue who the three other fighters are gonna be, but they're gonna be either big deals like Sephiroth and Steve, or publicity stunts like Min Min. Geno, unless they plan a big remake of Super Mario RPG, is not that profitable, doesn't matter how requested he might be.

All this I'm saying is not meant to imply that the characters chosen are any less deserving of their spots, I think all 8 DLC characters are amazing choices and they brought a lot of interesting stuff to the game.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some people have brought up licensing a song for advertisement purposes verses commercial purposes, but it does make me think.

For the songs to be taken down due to copyright by, specifically, Nintendo, wouldn’t Nintendo have to own the songs?

If the songs were owned by a different entity, the copyright strike would be for that entity, correct? (Aka. It would be square hitting the videos with copyright, not Nintendo)
This brings up another possible point; somebody posed as Nintendo to get them taken down. There's a crapload of trolls who legit do this, so...

I frankly see this as most likely. At least it's not the dumb case of mistaking a song for another one, which is far worse, since that's just goddamn lazy and ruins good videos without a legit reason.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And why was Legacy XP taken down? And why is the SMRPG Remake/Remaster/Sequel rumor so prevalent? And why is Geno literally the only Mii costume that multiple people heard well in advance? And where is Crono? And where is the Mallow hat? And what's up with Cacomallow? And why isn't SMRPG on the NSO yet? And why is SMRPG one of the only games the Mario 35 Twitter hasn't acknowledged yet? And what's up with the Gamestop flub? And why were so many prominent insiders teasing Geno over the summer if he was only a Mii costume? And why is the Geno Mii costume literally the only Square Enix thing in the game not attached to something you can readily buy? And... Yeah, but "Ridley Shadows", amirite?

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
And why was Legacy XP taken down? And why is the SMRPG Remake/Remaster/Sequel rumor so prevalent? And why is Geno literally the only Mii costume that multiple people heard well in advance? And where is Crono? And where is the Mallow hat? And what's up with Cacomallow? And why isn't SMRPG on the NSO yet? And why is SMRPG one of the only games the Mario 35 Twitter hasn't acknowledged yet? And what's up with the Gamestop flub? And why were so many prominent insiders teasing Geno over the summer if he was only a Mii costume? And why is the Geno Mii costume literally the only Square Enix thing in the game not attached to something you can readily buy? And... Yeah, but "Ridley Shadows", amirite?
this makes me question if they will even recognise the anniversary...

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I want to know.. when are we gonna begin development on Super Geno World?
This, so much this. We can support games like Another Crusade or make our own indie RPG as a tribute to SMRPG. There are tools out there now (Unity, Godot, Game Maker Studio, etc) that are much more accessible than there have been in the past.

I've personally wanted to get into game development but I find it hard to get started and/or find time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's no way the Geno thing is like the Ridley shadow, heh. That one was a deliberate attempt to say "he's not playable", though obviously it wasn't a hard disconfirmation so much as a logical one. He was hard disconfirmed when the Wii U 50 facts things came up.

I think it's fair to mention Nintendo takes down a lot of mods. If they would cut into business, it makes sense. Legacy XP being taken down when it was would be under the belief it'll cause them trouble now. Think about the timing. Geno's a costume, sure, but it also means he's playable in some way in Smash. Legacy XP has him properly playable. For Nintendo, wouldn't that possibly hurt their sales?

For mods/music/whatever, if it can possibly hurt what product they're trying to sell, and if it's not a parody in itself, they'll work on taking it down. It's just business sense. I'm not saying this is the reason, but it's a pretty good explanation for their actions. Also, to be fair, they might not have cared that much about Ridley as it's base game and there's a giant amount of characters there. Square-Enix on the other hand wants their costume to sell so they get their royalties, telling Nintendo the mod needs to go. It may be as simple as that, honestly.

That doesn't mean the other evidence is unnoteworthy either. It just means some of it might not be what we thought it was.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
There's no way the Geno thing is like the Ridley shadow, heh. That one was a deliberate attempt to say "he's not playable", though obviously it wasn't a hard disconfirmation so much as a logical one. He was hard disconfirmed when the Wii U 50 facts things came up.

I think it's fair to mention Nintendo takes down a lot of mods. If they would cut into business, it makes sense. Legacy XP being taken down when it was would be under the belief it'll cause them trouble now. Think about the timing. Geno's a costume, sure, but it also means he's playable in some way in Smash. Legacy XP has him properly playable. For Nintendo, wouldn't that possibly hurt their sales?

For mods/music/whatever, if it can possibly hurt what product they're trying to sell, and if it's not a parody in itself, they'll work on taking it down. It's just business sense. I'm not saying this is the reason, but it's a pretty good explanation for their actions. Also, to be fair, they might not have cared that much about Ridley as it's base game and there's a giant amount of characters there. Square-Enix on the other hand wants their costume to sell so they get their royalties, telling Nintendo the mod needs to go. It may be as simple as that, honestly.

That doesn't mean the other evidence is unnoteworthy either. It just means some of it might not be what we thought it was.
Nintendo: "we can't possibly have people playing this fully fleshed out certain of Geno, they should be using the mii costume we released instead"

I can't imagine that listening to the two Mario rpg sings will cut into sales, unless the soundtrack is available for sale somewhere. Since you can't really buy smrpg in any capacity that will make Nintendo money anymore, it seems a moot point

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo: "we can't possibly have people playing this fully fleshed out certain of Geno, they should be using the mii costume we released instead"
Reality? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. SE or Nintendo. They want you to buy what they put out, and if somebody is making a product that outright denies them that possibility, they'll shut it down if the law allows them too.

Made even worse when you realize they used to shut down fanart and fanfiction. The court wouldn't let them, but they are hyper stingy about protecting their IP.

Taking down a mod is at least justified business-wise. Sales come first, not "cool stuff fans can do with their IP". If they can't outright promote the idea, they'll shut it down instead if and only if it has the potential to affect them. That's why The Pokemon Company shut down the various Pokemon hacks. That's why AM2R was shut down. Etc.

It's pretty expected and it ultimately means little in terms of clear evidence of hard playability. If anything, it might've been decent evidence Geno'll be playable in Smash some way, due to the context of being a Smash mod. It also means we can get the idea that any mods could be taken down for MIi costume sales reasons too. That sucks in itself, but it's also pretty telling.

I can't imagine that listening to the two Mario rpg sings will cut into sales, unless the soundtrack is available for sale somewhere. Since you can't really buy smrpg in any capacity that will make Nintendo money anymore, it seems a moot point
For all we know this is planned as an OST release down the line. It takes a while to license every detail to even release it. Look how long the Wii U version took to come out. Even EarthBound took a long time. Takedowns can happen quite a long time before the reason is made clear. On the other hand, it's probably just a troll posing as Nintendo.

I'm just noting possible legitimate reasons why this even happens. Do we even know the exact details on who took it down? I know there was one fake takedown of a video done by "Nintendo of Japan", which is not even their proper name and wouldn't be used. It could be the same thing here. The other might not even be OST-related. It could just be the one who owns that IP asked Nintendo to take it down because it wasn't supposed to be on Youtube, regardless of business reasons. Copyright claims for the record don't have to relate to any actual business reasons. If they aren't being used by permission, they can do so. Parody is the only time it doesn't count.

For the record, unless a proper OST and/or game re-release is coming out, it was silly to take them down. We can be sure it doesn't relate to Smash, though(bar trolls doing it to give Geno fans false hope, anyway).

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Because that's what Nintendo do.
Either A) Wishful thinking or B) Because it's happening, but remakes rarely correlate with Smash Characters so this means nothing anyway
Confirmation bias
Not here, Crono's rights are shared between Square, Toriyama and Shonen Jump, so that was always a longsho.
Cacomallow is fake,and you can mod mii costumes, people saying you couldn't were peddling fake news.
Because they want to spread out the big releases and DKC Trilogy took priority.
Galaxy 2
The amount of people talking about Geno, someone who doesn't care about Smash could get easily confused.
Vergeben, the only one with any real track record regarding Smash said nothing so this one isn't true.
What does this even mean?
So yeah, Ridley Shadows.

I do feel for Geno fans, but you're in denial. And honestly anyone going through the stages of grief over a Smash Character is really just a bit sad.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's very weird to say the least. If Geno were actually playable and not just a Mii Costume, then a lot of this would add up, but as it stands? It's just baffling why they would do all of this for just one Mii Costume

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Even if it's not like "if people listen to the music there they won't listen to it buying our games!!", it's still third people making a profit out of one of their IPs, which is something most companies frown upon. I agree that it's weird they happened to remove those specific tracks at such a specific moment, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone having had one of the most finest memories via playing Paper Mario 64, allowing me to witness Mario-franchise reinterpreted with more worldbuilding and story to tell than I was used to the series...

Haaving to still remember this being a thing, sting to this day HARD. :218:

I feel my own investment on Mario-franchise slowly dwindled away as it'd become more mandated up as a "brand", and didn't allow anymore different interpretations for both fans and devs alike...

Boy, do I feel this. Super Mario RPG was my life when I was about 6 years old. I wouldn't shut up about it and it was one of the things that boosted my reading level beyond other students and set me down a dark path of being ahead of the curve in English class. When I saw "Super Mario RPG 2" in Nintendo Power, I was stoked. When I found out it was renamed to Paper Mario, I didn't suddenly get discouraged, I was ready to jump in headfirst, and I was not disappointed. Paper Mario 64 is an absolute legend, without a doubt one of the greatest games of all time.

And then I didn't like Thousand Year Door. There are parts about it that stand out in my memory as shining examples of what makes a game great, but most of it felt like a slog compared to 64 and I didn't like the artstyle change. Mechanically, it's a better game than 64, but I always felt like it just didn't have the storybook feel... Every now and again, some music like the X-Naut Fortress or Rogueport will come on my Mp3 player and I'll be on the verge of actual tears thinking about how those days are gone and we'll just never again have something as good as a game that I don't even like.

These are the wages of not having competition. Mario as a franchise has somehow managed to go 35 years without being threatened by anything, and that's mind boggling since it's a ****ing platformer. All of Mario's would be competitors somehow look at "jump from platform to platform while avoiding obstacles" and their brain stops working. Every opportunity to make a universe as lovable and magical as Mario's has been squandered. Mario is now free to become a brand rather than a franchise, and we can either drop it and spite only ourselves, or accept it.

The funny thing is, I don't really buy into this "Mario mandate" stuff. There's a bit too much that conflicts with it to be realistic and I really think uh... Paper Mario guy whose name I forget (and doesn't deserve to be remembered tbh) just wanted an excuse for his mediocre trilogy. But it's unarguable that a lot of the soul has vanished from Mario.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
this makes me question if they will even recognise the anniversary...
If you look at the Mario 35 Twitter, they likely will because they've already painstakingly gone over a good chunk of the Mario games including those developed by third parties and SMRPG is featured with all the other SNES Mario games:

To my fire breathing annoyance, they've extended the Mario 35 celebration until the end of March so, joy of joys, we have a fun nebula of three extra months that SMRPG news could reasonably drop so wheeeeeeeeee....

MattX20

Smash Hero
If you look at the Mario 35 Twitter, they likely will because they've already painstakingly gone over a good chunk of the Mario games including those developed by third parties and SMRPG is featured with all the other SNES Mario games:

To my fire breathing annoyance, they've extended the Mario 35 celebration until the end of March so, joy of joys, we have a fun nebula of three extra months that SMRPG news could reasonably drop so wheeeeeeeeee....
I'm pretty annoyed by this too. It's a major game in Mario's history, it makes no sense to not cover it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom