• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is the 4th time I've been accused of "concern trolling" in this thread.

Which do you find more likely?

A member who used to be a mod on this site "Concern trolling" or me having genuine reason to be concerned?

A lot of power other thread leaders don't have.
So like what are u implying? Fatman will coerce depressed geno fans n00ds outta them? Luckily, I don't think Fatman is in the competitive scene :ultpacman:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I don't think Fatman's stringing us along.

We still have 3 fighters left, anything can happen. Those extra slots found long ago are still holding up as the upper limit unless they get expanded in some form or fashion. Even if the next 3 fighters have something to use 2 slots each, that's still an extra fighter slot in the wings waiting to be used.

I do think Geno's chances of happening beyond this point are astronomically slim, thinner than the smallest object in our universe.

If by some miracle the puppet himself becomes a fighter in the face of these challenges, it would end up happening in the most Square Enix way possible.
Not only do you get his Mii Costume back, but potentially more SMRPG content. The profits of which are shared with Square Enix.

This is the only way Geno can make it in at this point is by convincing Square Enix that more money is left on the table.

We also have to accept the chances of the last 2 Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes not ending up as characters despite their "increased chances" of happening.
As far as we know, both could be deconfirmed in one fell swoop when the next fighter overview stream happens in early 2021.

Our fan favorites might not make the cut even in the "Last Call" fighters pass to use up the last slots in the game, if that even happens.
Dante, Crash, Chief, Slayer, whoever: all of the most speculated are just as likely to be in or not as the niche and dark horse picks.

Stop harassing each other over supporting our puppet or not, for all we know your favorite might not make it as well.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So we have the Monster Hunter pair and Lloyd's costumes left. We may get a Capcom and/or a Namco rep in these next three packs. A MH rep and Lloyd are certainly up there in likeliness as playable characters for those companies. If either get in, it will be pretty telling depending on what happens with their costumes. So say that Lloyd becomes playable, but his costume doesn't return. Then that would truly be it for Geno. But if Lloyd was playable and his costume came with him, then there would still be hope. So let's see how these next three packs play out. We'll probably get our next reveal in March.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh? What's changed about it?
Cape physics is the big one but overall

It just been touched up and given more detail. Note the chest, the collar, and the lip of the hat. You can’t really tell here but I believe the chain and joints have been updated as well.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Fatman's stringing us along.

We still have 3 fighters left, anything can happen. Those extra slots found long ago are still holding up as the upper limit unless they get expanded in some form or fashion. Even if the next 3 fighters have something to use 2 slots each, that's still an extra fighter slot in the wings waiting to be used.

I do think Geno's chances of happening beyond this point are astronomically slim, thinner than the smallest object in our universe.

If by some miracle the puppet himself becomes a fighter in the face of these challenges, it would end up happening in the most Square Enix way possible.
Not only do you get his Mii Costume back, but potentially more SMRPG content. The profits of which are shared with Square Enix.

This is the only way Geno can make it in at this point is by convincing Square Enix that more money is left on the table.

We also have to accept the chances of the last 2 Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes not ending up as characters despite their "increased chances" of happening.
As far as we know, both could be deconfirmed in one fell swoop when the next fighter overview stream happens in early 2021.

Our fan favorites might not make the cut even in the "Last Call" fighters pass to use up the last slots in the game, if that even happens.
Dante, Crash, Chief, Slayer, whoever: all of the most speculated are just as likely to be in or not as the niche and dark horse picks.

Stop harassing each other over supporting our puppet or not, for all we know your favorite might not make it as well.
Okay but can we at least all agree Mario's never making it in?

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
In regards to the Super Nintendo World announcement thing, I constantly make jokes about going there someday wearing one of my six Geno shirts, and getting immediately thrown out by security. I feel like it's even funnier now honestly.
I'd go all out and just cosplay as Geno LOL

StormC

Smash Hero
Eh...fair enough, but I'd argue that even if that's what Sakurai's going for, it's a bit of a shame to downplay an iconic villain like that.
I think calling Porky Minch an iconic villain is a big stretch and I say this as a big Mother 3 fan.

herpderp06

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. Lurker here. I see that everyone is sad right now and understandably so. Just a reminder to buy the costume to show your support for the character in a way that nintendo cares: money. If you're a true Geno fan, now is the time to act and buy the damn costume. As for the people asking if he could still get in? I dont see it happening after that unless they decide to do a fighter ballot like in smash 4. It's been a good run guys. ill still be lurking every now and then, but for now, peace.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is the 4th time I've been accused of "concern trolling" in this thread.

Which do you find more likely?

A member who used to be a mod on this site "Concern trolling" or me having genuine reason to be concerned?

A lot of power other thread leaders don't have.

Regardless, I'm leaving. I hate the term "concern trolling."

Makes my blood boil.
People taking your opinions seriously and liking you in literally one thread in a 20 year old Web 1.0 forum =

tenor (12).gif

Man, I miss the Brawl days...

Dan

Smash Lord
I feel like this wouldn't have went over as colosally bad if they at least put some ounce of effort into the head they used in the reveal. So many people are gonna be turned off by that, but who cares cause it's Geno.

This is the progress I've made on the head I'll be using:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
One more post before I head out, People are here because they want to be, not because Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is using a spell on everyone or manipulating people to stick around. This question answers itself; why are people who like Geno and Super Mario RPG in a thread about Geno and Super Mario RPG? Should the good folks here stick their heads elsewhere where they'll be attacked and massacred when the blood is still fresh in the air? By simply staying firm on your love for Geno, you already won in the end. Trust me, people are cheering right now but they're agitated that people are still sticking to their principles. The haters are ultimately becoming more obnoxious than the fans and that alone is enough for me.

Keep on smiling, guys.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This won't really apply to the majority of you who appear to grasp the situation at hand, but I just wish everyone the ability to parse through the rhetoric and acknowledge that the character has been unceremoniously costumed, which, while extremely unfortunate and not something I had hoped for, should not be treated as anything other than a death knell until there is actually reason to believe it isn't.

And whatever Fatman says he's heard is not real reason. Real reason is what you can witness for yourself. I'm not here to sling mud, I would just implore you to take the situation at face value, as I'm sure you have for every other Mii costume, and please just be wary of what lies for you at the end of this path of continued expectation and deferred acceptance. It's not playability.

That's just the nature of the game. Literally. Some characters make it, some characters don't. Some fanbases get to celebrate, others are left disappointed. But there's always next time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
so Swamp Sensei dm me and has suggested that I ask PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate for his opinion instead of fatman

psycho, do you believe in any way geno can still be dlc in some way?
Wooooooooow. That's a new level of petty. Seriously, why is a GRimer trying to pick fights in this thread?

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I’m really looking forward to mods that will make it feel more like a deluxe Mii fighter but this edit looks great! (even if the second one the hat should be lower lol)

D

Deleted member

Hard to believe I spent 5 hours playing Sephiroth and I gotta say... It wasn't a good trade. His popularity is going to carry him a lot farther than a character with this kind of kit would be carried otherwise, but I think the new is gonna wear off of him before he's even officially out.

It's pissing in the wind, but I really wish that Nintendo hadn't enabled the bad guys to be able to have the last laugh. I think that honestly hurts more than not getting Geno, to think that people who took a dump on this community for the past two years... No, longer than that... get to be right in the end. It's not right by any stretch of the imagination.

I hope everyone who buys the Mii Costume enjoys it, but I will not have it. It's not an acceptable replacement for the character and for sure it isn't an acceptable consolation prize for a group of decent people that have been subjected to the ire of what feels like the entire internet. A certain someone said to "be loud" and I personally believe that if any justice is to be done for Geno, being loud is going to have to be done at Nintendo, both of America and Japan, and we shouldn't be expected to put our money where our mouth is a second time.

There's a... saying, I guess is the word for it, that if everyone does or thinks something, that makes it objectively right, With it in mind, I can't help but think that supporting Geno for all this time made me the real bad guy.

QQS

Smash Lord
Geno will be playable. This is the Smash that will make everyone happy. At least wait until Ultimate ends. We aren’t done yet. I’m not blind and my faith descended...but I don’t see how they can’t add Geno later or Bonus. It’s such a miss of a perfect candidate.

Im still believing.

If I’m wrong, I’m okay, cause Smash is perfect and Sakurai does it’s best.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hope y'all are holding up alright after what happened earlier today.

Its so very sad to see what happened, but I'm happy I was at least able to join the ride up until this point for a bit. I was able to learn so much of why people love this character so much and had grown my own appreciation and desire for wanting him in Smash as well even if I haven't even played his game before. I love Geno so much and I'm so sad to see it end like this but it is what it is I suppose. I'll for sure continue to show support and love for this character and his game for as much as I can, I encourage y'all to do the same.

Much love everyone.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Geno will be playable. This is the Smash that will make everyone happy. At least wait until Ultimate ends. We aren’t done yet. I’m not blind and my faith descended...but I don’t see how they can’t add Geno later or Bonus. It’s such a miss of a perfect candidate.

Im still believing.

If I’m wrong, I’m okay, cause Smash is perfect and Sakurai does it’s best.
Keep saying Geno's in if you want to, and don't let anyone make you stop. It's not hurting anyone, and even if he doesn't come to Ultimate your positive outlook is valued and appreciated. By me if nobody else.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not picking a fight.

I'm just redirecting a new user to one of the nicest users on the site.
Now who's being coy? They asked my opinion, you jumped on them for it and then messaged them in private to specifically tell them to ask someone else instead. If the point was to introduce them to Psycho or have Psycho's opinion in the conversation, why didn't you simply tag Psycho? Pretty sure Beezwax found it weird too considering they made it a point to say what you did...

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It would be interesting if there was a future video analyzing what was so special about Geno that pissed off so many people and caused them to hate him and the fanbase excessively. Because if that level of counter obsession was due to a fanbase being annoying or obnoxious, then that's a scary conclusion. That means any proactive fanbase can get significant backlash and it could grow out of proportion to the fanbase's rallying by detractors cycling their dislike.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
At least give us a day to mourn or go through our grief processes before you expect us all to say "Oh well, guess he's never getting in!". It's just rude and speaks to a general misunderstanding of what we are doing here.

Saying that we're nothing like K. Rool, Ridley, or Banjo, or that we never had a shot is just simply wrong, and I hope that notion doesn't end up ever being widely accepted especially not in the Geno thread of all places. It's erasure of the 15 years of dedication to this grind that all four of our communities had to go through to get to where we are. People were saying the same things about K. Rool in 2015 and Banjo in 2019. The fact that we have a costume in the first place proves the fact that we did have a shot, that we were just as viable as anyone else, and that our voices collectively mattered.

Yes, King K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo all technically had it easier than us. (Again, erasure of the insane amount of time and energy spent rallying and fighting for over 2 decades by all 3 communities, but I digress) But that doesn't mean that our fight was eternally in vain. For a character as stuck in legal and irrelavance hell as detractors say, he sure got a hell of a lot of references. An online profile picture and Legend class spirit in World of Light in base game, and a DLC Mii Costume in two games. It doesn't seem like a ton, but remember who this is, a random side character from a 20 year old game not fully owned by Nintendo.

Why did Geno get all that representation? Because we were loud enough and asked for it.
Why did Mega Man get in Smash 4? Because we were loud enough and asked for it.
Why did Mewtwo get back in as DLC? Because we were loud enough and asked for it.
Why did Wolf and Snake come back? Because we were loud enough and asked for it.
Why did Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo get in the game at all? Because we were loud enough and asked for it.
Why did most things in Smash Ultimate happen the way that they did?
Because we were loud enough and asked for it, and they listened.

As fans of Smash Bros, we've practically been taught that if you ask for something long enough and loud enough you just might get your wish. This was the game of Smash Bros dreams coming true. And we got loud. We made this character a household name in the Smash Community and even got a namedrop in a couple Sakurai interviews. Because we kept that hope and because we asked for it for so long.

I refuse to believe that simply hoping for something to be different, especially only a few hours after getting shafted yet again, is a bad thing. It's the only reason why we've gotten to this point in the first place, why anyone of thise characters I mentioned above got in the game. Infantilizing this group and calling Fatman a cultist for keeping the dream alive even a little is just kicking us while we're down. Come back in a week if you really care, but for now, don't come into the thread to tell us your reasons why Geno was never likely in the first place. It's just not right.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not trying to start some drama my friends, but can we please cut the **** and focus on Geno?
Ya'll are literally gonna get this thread locked for the people who know how to behave and handle the reality of the situation.

Stop for the sake of everyone else please.
I will drop this conversation for the thread.

If I have anything else to say, it'll be in PMs.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I do have this feeling like: Ridley, K. Rool AND Banjo? The lucky streak was bound to end eventually and 2 an extent, Isaac certainly wasn't very lucky. IDK, maybe a little cynical but I do feel like it makes me feel a bit more at ease with it. There's no such thing as the perfect game and all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom