• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And that's just it too. Geno's been around for 2 years in insider circles. He was never specifically heard as a Mii costume and is currently the first Mii costume that was heard this far out. Kind of like I said the other day, this is a lot of people getting fooled on a single topic and not just hobbyists like me if this is genuinely the end of the road.
Still those insiders have proof that they were being baited already. That original leak mentioned Square purposefully give names of characters like Arthur who would never be considered as playable fighters just to see if people would take the bait. Hell the squares name leak specifically mentioned not to take Geno seriously and I think this will be why. I would love you to be wrong again but we have to wait and se so guess.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I made a meme to help me feel better. This was basically Sephiroth's presentation in a nutshell, at least to me.

View attachment 296143
Not gonna lie, as one of the few DQ fans in the West, part of me was kind of hyped by Hero's inclusion (at least after being shown with his alts)), but even then, I would have liked Geno even more. So yeah, I feel you on this.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I mean... It's true... "There's no way they would make an extremely popular character both a 75 cent costume and a 6 dollar fighter for the sake of profit and..." And then you remember the times both companies have done significantly more scummy things for money and that argument kind of bursts into flames.
This implies that people actually would give a damn enough to buy the costume in large numbers, which considering Geno was completely glossed over here without a mention from Sakurai, tells me the mii costume in 4 didn’t sell much because people wanted him playable and Nintendo knows this.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Man he just got his costume announced. If he’s happening it’s not going to be in this pass. Best to just move on and accept the loss until the next chance pops up.
You probably mean well but I've been doing this since you were 6. Can't get rid of me that easily. I've been Captain Ahab-ing since Web 1.0 and I don't intend to quit anytime soon.

Griselda

Smash Lord
To be completely honest, using Geno as leakbait is pretty stupid, not gonna lie. "Geno's popular, so if we spread his name around people will think it's him and never see Seph coming". Except if he's that popular that he can be used as convincing cover, why isn't it "Geno's popular, so we'll put him in"?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
To be completely honest, using Geno as leakbait is pretty stupid, not gonna lie. "Geno's popular, so if we spread his name around people will think it's him and never see Seph coming". Except if he's that popular that he can be used as convincing cover, why isn't it "Geno's popular, so we'll put him in"?
Because he can’t be used to advertise anything new. Hence why Sakurai advertised Drsgon Quest in heroes presentation and told people to still play the FF7 remake because the ending may be different. Square wants that sweet ad revenue money

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I don’t have any attachment to Geno BUT as someone whose most wanted character is Isaac from Golden Sun ever since I first played it in 2003...I definitely understand the disappointment y’all are going through.

You all have my condolences. I wish things would have turned out better for you guys!

Griselda

Smash Lord
Because he can’t be used to advertise anything new. Hence why Sakurai advertised Drsgon Quest in heroes presentation and told people to still play the FF7 remake because the ending may be different. Square wants that sweet ad revenue money
Then rerelease SMRPG. And if Switch Online's subscription-based system isn't good enough for them, then just rerelease SMRPG on a physical cartridge. Problem solved, as easy as that. Sure, it'd be a completely untouched port of a SNES game, but if we're completely honest here - it has Mario in the title and on the cover. It'll sell.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And people wonder why Corrin, Byleth, and other similarly-received characters are called "shill picks".

It's incredibly sad when fan favorite characters who have been supported for literal years are passed up simply because they aren't a walking billboard that says "This new game exists, go play it!"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And that's just the thing too. SMRPG hasn't been readily available to buy in 2 years. Literally all the other Square Enix spirits, costumes, and characters in Ultimate are for stuff I could buy on the E-shop right now. That's another thing that's weird about this situation.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Well, on the bright side, let’s look at this. With Ultimate being the best selling Smash game to date, many people who don’t know who Geno may be curious when they see his Mii Costume show up, and could lead to more people being interested in finding out who Geno is and his history. This could actually bring more awareness to Geno and it may help casuals support him and want to see him in more Mario games/Smash.
At least, that’s how I see it. Even in the worst case scenario it’s a silver lining of sorts.

Dan

Smash Lord
The best part on Twitter and people for the last ten years is "He will never get in Smash"... any video game character can get in ********.

And then people saying "Literal who?". I will never understand; he is trending on Twitter for ****'s sake.

This is rough; I feel bad for Papa being the face for all this harassment... what is the point of kicking people when they're down? Why couldn't they have just done the Deluxe to shut these people the **** up... a bunch of idiots in this world.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
I don’t have any attachment to Geno BUT as someone whose most wanted character is Isaac from Golden Sun ever since I first played it in 2003...I definitely understand the disappointment y’all are going through.

You all have my condolences. I wish things would have turned out better for you guys!
We'll get them next time my friend, I promise, Geno, Porky, Grovyle, Isaac...

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
The best part on Twitter and people for the last ten years is "He will never get in Smash"... any video game character can get in ********.

And then people saying "Literal who?". I will never understand; he is trending on Twitter for ****'s sake.

This is rough; I feel bad for Papa being the face for all this harassment... what is the point of kicking people when they're down? Why couldn't they have just done the Deluxe to shut these people the **** up... a bunch of idiots in this world.
It is trending on twitter because people are determined to yell at how much he's worthless

Pretty ironic right ? :')

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Then rerelease SMRPG. And if Switch Online's subscription-based system isn't good enough for them, then just rerelease SMRPG on a physical cartridge. Problem solved, as easy as that. Sure, it'd be a completely untouched port of a SNES game, but if we're completely honest here - it has Mario in the title and on the cover. It'll sell.
"Untouched port" of an old Mario game? Sounds like a perfect game for a limited release!
SUPER MARIO RPG: AVAILABLE FROM MARCH 30TH UNTIL MARCH 31ST, 2021.
(what no I'm not bitter, why would you think that?)

Jokes aside, I'd totally buy that if they were offering.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Because Nintendo and Square Enix clearly don't care about Geno. I'm not even saying that to be an asshole it's just because it's very obviously true unfortunately. Their treatment of the character speaks volumes on how they see him as companies. They'd rather focus on characters with more marketability then "oh well the Smash community really likes him". It honestly feels like they'd rather people forget he exists at all at this point. But maybe that's the pessimist in me speaking.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
And you know.... Dragon Quest being the game series that made JRPG’s along with Sephiroth being one of the most iconic villains in all of gaming. Compared to Geno who at this point his legacy as a character people want for Smash has probably overshadowed and legacy from his actual game.

Remember that it’s Nintendo and Sakurai who picks who the newcomers are

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Idk about all this mii stuff but people were saying before that Heihachi and Travis etc were deconfirmed because they were mii costumes so honestly the same applies to Geno. I remember when the Fortnite rumours came out and people were saying that was only going to be a costume, which was a common assumption because it would deconfirm a hypothetical fighter. I know that collectively we all want Geno and all and am not trying to be rude in anyway but it honestly seems like we are entetaining this idea of Geno being upgraded just because its Geno. Feasibly speaking, yes we are bound to try and give reasons as to why it doesn't deconfirm, but when double standards come out, then something's not right. Nothing has changed upn the idea of mii costume upgrades because of Geno since Heihachi and Travis were confirmed so its honestly sugar coating big time to start saying in this pass that he can still be upgraded. While Geno could have a shot in a pass 3 under the assumption it even exists since smash has to end at some point it depends if the mii costume isnt a problem whether it be it was addd or if it shows where their priorities lie. Here's hoing he gets in some day.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
What's funny to me is I still believe Geno had a decent shot - it was either prioritizing other fighters or plans not falling through for Geno as a fighter (highly likely to be Nintendo choosing someone else). After all, Mii Costumes are kind of honorary fighters (even if we don't view them that way) and the fact that Sakurai at any time considered adding Geno as far back as Brawl means it really wasn't so far-fetched at one time. If there had been enough time and Nintendo and Square hadn't fallen out with each other maybe it could have been a thing much sooner in Smash, but now it's expanded to including most anything and everything in gaming beyond just Nintendo at this point. Seems like much more of an uphill climb, but definitely not impossible. At this point however it is whatever Nintendo and Sakurai want it to be.

[EDIT] In other news:

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Because Nintendo and Square Enix clearly don't care about Geno. I'm not even saying that to be an asshole it's just because it's very obviously true unfortunately. Their treatment of the character speaks volumes on how they see him as companies. They'd rather focus on characters with more marketability then "oh well the Smash community really likes him". It honestly feels like they'd rather people forget he exists at all at this point. But maybe that's the pessimist in me speaking.
Basically, Nintendo is trying to sell the DLC to people that don't already play Smash bros. The sad reality of that fact is that we, the devoted Smash bros fanbase, get treated like **** as a result. If the DLC happens to be something we want, that's coincidence, not appeasement...except for B-K. That was our one little scooby snack from corporate Nintendo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

That's another aspect of this. Geno's the biggest character to be seemingly deconfirmed BY FAR as a Mii costume. Everybody up to this point has rarely breached top 25 and they have seemed to be walking on eggshells... Until now. A top 5 character 8 days from Christmas is definitely the polar opposite of that.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
That's another aspect of this. Geno's the biggest character to be seemingly deconfirmed BY FAR as a Mii costume. Everybody up to this point has rarely breached top 25 and they have seemed to be walking on eggshells... Until now. A top 5 character 8 days from Christmas is definitely the polar opposite of that.
I never thought of it that way. I thought the previous Mii Costume deconfirmation stuff was bad but this is one a whole other level.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Basically, Nintendo is trying to sell the DLC to people that don't already play Smash bros. The sad reality of that fact is that we, the devoted Smash bros fanbase, get treated like **** as a result. If the DLC happens to be something we want, that's coincidence, not appeasement...except for B-K. That was our one little scooby snack from corporate Nintendo.
Honestly, I don't think even Banjo-Kazooie were picked by Nintendo. Considering how long the talks for Steve went on, I'm starting to think Nintendo went to Microsoft with the intention of getting Steve into Smash and nothing more... and Phil Spencer (who was vocally supportive of Banjo) was the one who convinced them to put the bear and bird in first.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
And people wonder why Corrin, Byleth, and other similarly-received characters are called "shill picks".

It's incredibly sad when fan favorite characters who have been supported for literal years are passed up simply because they aren't a walking billboard that says "This new game exists, go play it!"
Yes almost as if Nintendo is a "company" and that that's the literal point of post game launch DLC in literally every game ever especially when it's crossover related 🤔.... oh wait.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I never thought of it that way. I thought the previous Mii Costume deconfirmation stuff was bad but this is one a whole other level.
Right? Aside from like Travis, all the Mii costume waves so far have gone over extremely well and this is much different from Smash 4 when there was genuine dread over them because every single wave had at least one top 10-15 character get crushed. If Travis was accidentally stepping on glass then Geno was throwing a rock through a window.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno haters: "lol literally who?"

Also Geno haters: ignore how he's #1 on trending

Also also Geno haters: ignore how they know who he is and obsess over him enough to be giant, deranged, narcissistic trolls over him like some people do to other things simply for those things being popular with others

-proof that these kinds of haters are really dumb-

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC cycle is not yet over. Yes, there are still three more Challenger Packs underway, and it is very likely that among them we'll be getting either a SEGA, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Nintendo, Konami, heck you name it rep. However, only when it is officially confirmed that the DLC is done, then all will be said and done. In the meantime, it is time to take a breather, redirect the thoughts into other goals and interests until the next CP rolls up.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What's funny to me is I still believe Geno had a decent shot - it was either prioritizing other fighters or plans not falling through for Geno as a fighter (highly likely to be Nintendo choosing someone else). After all, Mii Costumes are kind of honorary fighters (even if we don't view them that way) and the fact that Sakurai at any time considered adding Geno as far back as Brawl means it really wasn't so far-fetched at one time. If there had been enough time and Nintendo and Square hadn't fallen out with each other maybe it could have been a thing much sooner in Smash, but now it's expanded to including most anything and everything in gaming beyond just Nintendo at this point. Seems like much more of an uphill climb, but definitely not impossible. At this point however it is whatever Nintendo and Sakurai want it to be.

[EDIT] In other news:

who's ready for Geno: THE RIDE?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
God forbid the two biggest JRPG franchises in history get prioritized in Smash.

Because Geno is very, very, very low priority.

Y'all seem to think because Sakurai mentioned Geno being neat at one point somehow means he's this big character and there has to be some cynical conspiracy keeping him out.

When in reality, he's a 4th string pick: a one-off side character from over a quarter century ago.
Equating him to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo is honestly downright disturbing; those are dramatically bigger characters (two major antagonists and a main protagonist of several games), and they took a decade of requests from frankly far larger fanbases.

That's something a lot of people just don't realize; you're dedicated as hell, but that doesn't mean you have size. The Geno support is a vocal minority to virtually the nth degree.

Sakurai mentioning Geno once years ago doesn't mean he cares all that much; Nintendo has no reason to care about him and Square has no reason to care about him.

What little favor from Sakurai and what little effect your voices have had resulted in a mii costume reprisal.

You can wax about "oh but people said the same thing about Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo".
What did they have going against them?

What's the workaround here?
He's got an obstacle that makes Banjo's look like nothing. And the popularity and impact of Banjo-Kazooie VS the popularity of Geno the wooden doll should tell anybody all that needs to be said.

And fatmanonice is ridiculous. Trying to drop off a 26 page manifesto at Nintendo HQ? Continuing to act like Geno has a chance, even after this? Saying his DMs are open for people in need?
He's a cultist, and the way the people in here act it's like a cult. Geno is the god trying to be willed into Smash and Fatman's the "humble" head priest ("I'm not forcing anybody to stay") who constantly clings to threads and tries to convince people that Geno's in and not to lose hope.

If the goddamn Tekken fans can all take an L when Heihachi showed up, why on earth are there still people clinging to Geno?
say what you will about cult master fatman: he's killed surprisingly LITTLE people for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom