• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean... It's true... "There's no way they would make an extremely popular character both a 75 cent costume and a 6 dollar fighter for the sake of profit and..." And then you remember the times both companies have done significantly more scummy things for money and that argument kind of bursts into flames.

Last edited:

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
Oooooh boy, big advice, do NOT go into twitter

People (even here in france) that never played a snes game in theur live gatekeeping much, and basically insulting people for wanting a video game character in a video game

Damn, funniest thing is they've got the #FreeMelee Hashtag but are applauding nintendo for ruining geno, and will buy all the dlc... contradiction much ? Curb your boycott.

I wonder if the ****load of not nintendo character had an incluence on the community ? It seems ultimate brought the worst people on earth to this fanbase and people are finding it stupid that Geno, a SNES character gets a spot when Sephiroth, who never appeared on a nintendo console can get it easy ?

I'm cool with having non nintendo characters, Snake was probably one of the coolest things to ever happen in smash, just saying we kinda lost the spirit, and it shows, it really does.

Or i'm dreaming and those haters just came from nowhere lol, but I feel there's a connection

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
Oooooh boy, big advice, do NOT go into twitter

People (even here in france) that never played a snes game in theur live gatekeeping much, and basically insulting people for wanting a video game character in a video game

Damn, funniest thing is they've got the #FreeMelee Hashtag but are applauding nintendo for ruining geno, and will buy all the dlc... contradiction much ? Curb your boycott.

I wonder if the ****load of not nintendo character had an incluence on the community ? It seems ultimate brought the worst people on earth to this fanbase and people are finding it stupid that Geno, a SNES character gets a spot when Sephiroth, who never appeared on a nintendo console can get it easy ?

I'm cool with having non nintendo characters, Snake was probably one of the coolest things to ever happen in smash, just saying we kinda lost the spirit, and it shows, it really does.

Or i'm dreaming and those haters just came from nowhere lol, but I feel there's a connection
You’re insulting people for gatekeeping yet you’re insinuating that the people you’re talking about have never played a snes game and imply that it’s the rise of third parties in smash bros that caused the smash bros fanbase to become this antagonistic...,

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
And that's just it too. Geno's been around for 2 years in insider circles. He was never specifically heard as a Mii costume and is currently the first Mii costume that was heard this far out. Kind of like I said the other day, this is a lot of people getting fooled on a single topic and not just hobbyists like me if this is genuinely the end of the road.
Don't mind me, but would it be foolish to say we still have a chance?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Another thing to point out is that you could call this yet another example of Nintendo treating the Mario RPG sub-series like absolute garbage in recent years.

The Mario & Luigi series and its developers Alpha Dream have been killed off, with their "swan song" being an unnecessary 3DS remake of a game that didn't really need it, and Nintendo did nothing to help keep them afloat. They probably didn't even consider buying the company and making them a subsidiary like Monolith Soft, and I seriously doubt they plan on continuing the Mario & Luigi series in any form.

Paper Mario is still alive, and its developers Intelligent Systems is still alive and well... but now Paper Mario is a shell of its former self, shedding almost all the RPG elements after Super Paper Mario and dumbing itself down to a puzzle-adventure game that's nowhere near as good as the previous games, nowhere as compelling, nowhere near as fun and creative, and just happens to have turn-based battles that are pointless anyway.

And now for Super Mario RPG... the game that started it all has a chance to represent the Mario RPG sub-series and have it be acknowledged as a truly important part of the Mario franchise, one that deserves way better than pointless remakes and half-hearted pseudo-RPG games, via one of its most recognizable and popular original characters making the cut and duking it out with the likes of Mario, Cloud, and Hero... but nope. Just a Mii Costume. That's all that Mario RPG fans deserve, apparently.

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Another thing to point out is that you could call this yet another example of Nintendo treating the Mario RPG sub-series like absolute garbage in recent years.

The Mario & Luigi series and its developers Alpha Dream have been killed off, with their "swan song" being an unnecessary 3DS remake of a game that didn't really need it, and Nintendo did nothing to help keep them afloat. They probably didn't even consider buying the company and making them a subsidiary like Monolith Soft, and I seriously doubt they plan on continuing the Mario & Luigi series in any form.

Paper Mario is still alive, and its developers Intelligent Systems is still alive and well... but now Paper Mario is a shell of its former self, shedding almost all the RPG elements after Super Paper Mario and dumbing itself down to a puzzle-adventure game that's nowhere near as good as the previous games, nowhere as compelling, nowhere near as fun and creative, and just happens to have turn-based battles that are pointless anyway.

And now for Super Mario RPG... the game that started it all has a chance to represent the Mario RPG sub-series and have it be acknowledged as a truly important part of the Mario franchise, one that deserves way better than pointless remakes and half-hearted pseudo-RPG games, via one of its most recognizable and popular original characters making the cut and duking it out with the likes of Mario, Cloud, and Hero... but nope. Just a Mii Costume. That's all that Mario RPG fans deserve, apparently.
A large portion of my childhood was the mario RPGs. Mario rpg was the first rpg I ever played and it was awesome. It was the game that got me into RPGs in the first place. Bowser's inside story was also really big for me. I remember getting it when I had just gotten a dsi and loving it to bits especially being able to play as bowser. The way modern nintendo treats the mario RPGs as if they're some stain on Mario's legacy absolutely disgusts me.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
You’re insulting people for gatekeeping yet you’re insinuating that the people you’re talking about have never played a snes game and imply that it’s the rise of third parties in smash bros that caused the smash bros fanbase to become this antagonistic...,
Don't confuse everything

I'm saying they've never played a snes game because they haven't, so they aren't right to speak about geno nd say he isn't worthy, I'm not saying it's good or bad they've never played a snes game, just saying if they haven't, why are they allowed to speak on Geno ?
About the third parties, I do truly believe we took away the simplicity of smash, it's so odd when I remember being excited for characters like Mewtwo or Bowser JR, or Duck Hunt ! Now the chances of a nintendo rep getting in smash are lower than ever, pretty ironic.
So yes, I do believe adding too many third parties, opening too many doors to smash is what lead to the fanbase becoming toxic. Am I gatekeeping ? Maybe, butI just feel like it was a lot easier when smash was simpler.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
I know it's a bit divisive but personally, the increase of third parties has been one of the best things 2 happen to Smash, Imo. A game celebrating Nintendo history is amazing, but a game that celebrates ALL video games? That's somthing truly special to me.
I love it too, but it's double egded, characters like Porky, Geno and Grovyle have near to no chance now, smash isn't even a nintendo game anymore it feels, its so sad, Nintendo and Bamco are developping the game, Nintendo got two meh reps as DLC and bamco got none

And now I just realized they took time to gush over every costume except our ****ty faceless Mii Costume, which we got a full Squeenix pass late for no reason except elongating the torture for another year.

Everything that could possibly have gone wrong did. But don't worry. We'll have a Smash 6 to once again get the ****ty Mii Costume. Maybe this time delayed to the very end of the DLC cycle. Actually no wait. Maybe 5 years after Smash 6 DLC ends. Maybe without even a body around the Mii this time.

And don't forget, there's plenty of people to point fingers and laugh harder than ever. All of who were validated after two years of saying awful things to me while I walk away worse than I was when I started. They get to say the worst things to me and get *ing rewarded for it and I'm powerless to do * about it or about this game. But why is it bad? If they got validation, clearly they were right? Clearly I deserved all this!

But I can't say a goddamn thing about it because then I'm "Toxic" and "entitled" and a "genope." And that's ignoring the fact that it won't even be a special game with every single character back and fanservice for specific groups of fans. Does it even matter if Geno gets in Smash 6? You know it's not going to be the same, it was only going to happen once and it didn't. IT DIDN'T.

And that's the most I can say about this without getting the thread locked. I'm going to do I acutally don't even *ing know what. Today crushed me on a level I didn't even think was possible after Sepiroth's reveal. What the * did I do? For real?

God ****ing damn it.
Oh yippie, GameFAQS noticed my post.

Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

C'mon, let's all laugh at the stupid scrub everyone! Kick him harder! He's not crying yet!

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I love it too, but it's double egded, characters like Porky, Geno and Grovyle have near to no chance now, smash isn't even a nintendo game anymore it feels, its so sad, Nintendo and Bamco are developping the game, Nintendo got two meh reps as DLC and bamco got none
You realize Geno is technically third party right?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
A large portion of my childhood was the mario RPGs. Mario rpg was the first rpg I ever played and it was awesome. It was the game that got me into RPGs in the first place. Bowser's inside story was also really big for me. I remember getting it when I had just gotten a dsi and loving it to bits especially being able to play as bowser. The way modern nintendo treats the mario RPGs as if they're some stain on Mario's legacy absolutely disgusts me.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga were two of my favorite games growing up, and they're still some of my favorite games now.

Seeing what they've devolved into, and now seeing the Mario RPG sub-series disrespected like this... it's bummin' me out, to say the least.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
Don't confuse everything

So yes, I do believe adding too many third parties, opening too many doors to smash is what lead to the fanbase becoming toxic. Am I gatekeeping ? Maybe, butI just feel like it was a lot easier when smash was simpler.
Remember Melee vs Brawl? Remember when the Donkey Kong and Metroid fanbases absolutely hated Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus? This fanbase has had its high toxicity happen with little to no influence from third parties.

Plus you know...... Geno himself is a third party character

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, passing by again. Man... I'll say, I was indeed thinking the costume would return but when I saw it, it still stung. At least they showed it at the start (probably for separate reasons, but alas). Ah well. It was a fun time hoping for Geno regardless. Guess all that remains now is getting that costume, that I'll definitely get like I did Bomberman. Normally I wouldn't, but I suppose I'll be revving up that Mii Gunner. My bigger disappointment comes from them not updating it, like, it's mostly just the 4 one with the face and all. But oh well.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So is Ness in a way, he doesn't belong to Nintendo

But the thing is Geno was on a nintendo console, was part of nintendo history.
I know. I think the balance is fine though. Base game usually only adds a couple of third parties, and mostly Nintendo characters. When we do end up getting Nintendo characters as DLC, they have a good chance of being shill picks, so I’d rather just get 3rd party characters as DLC anyway.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I think the first thing I’ll do when I download Geno is maybe do 4 on 1 against Sephiroph, and just annihilate him. Team up with Mario, Peach and Bowser. Hehe

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
****, these last few months have sucked for me. Even with all the pandemic stuff going around this year, the first 7-8 months of the year went pretty well for me, all things considered, and regarding Smash announcements specifically, while I really didn’t care for #5, Min-Min was a fun addition to the game. But then early September happened...

“Hey, my birthday’s next week, and my comic Kickstarter’s about to be funded, I feel on top of the goddamn world. Surely nothing at this point can- oh, wait, my favorite show of all time(Venture Bros.) just got unceremoniously canceled? And my favorite comedian(not saying who, they don’t deserve it) just had horrifying allegations leveled against them? ****.”

(a month later)

“Alright, new Smash character! Surely this won’t deconfirm either of my most-wanted(Chief and Geno)- oh, nevermind.”

(another month passes)

“Hey, outside of gaming stuff, Ducktales is getting really, really good! Surely that won’t- oh, it’s already canceled.”

(another goddamn month)

“Alright, new Smash character at the TGAs? Likely won’t be Geno or anything, however as long as it’s not an anime swordsman with a counter that simultaneously deconfirms my second-most wanted character, it’ll- oh.”

“Well at least the rest of the TGAs might not be that bad, surely there will at least be something sort of interesting announced- well, that was a waste of three goddamn hours, at least let me get on Twitter to joke about- oh, because I made an account ten years ago before I had a phone, the old TextFree number that I used is now completely blocked and I can’t get verification to work, locked out of there now...”

“Maybe they’ll at least do something special to acknowledge the demand for Geno as a- oh.”

At this point, just hoping that enough Smash characters, including Geno, get added to that just-crowdfunded Fraymakers game that I can play that instead. I largely feel done with Smash speculation as a whole, both characters that I wanted have almost entirely left the playing field.

(also speaking of crowdfunding check out the second run of my comic, it’s already funded elsewhere so this is more of a pre-order than anything else but it looks really neat and is coming together really, really well okay thanks bye)

(oh also if someone can put Geno’s hat on the center character on this page I’ll make that my avatar out of remembrance)

Last edited:

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
Remember Melee vs Brawl? Remember when the Donkey Kong and Metroid fanbases absolutely hated Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus? This fanbase has had its high toxicity happen with little to no influence from third parties.

Plus you know...... Geno himself is a third party character
aaaaaah sigh

Guess that's just me then and people can't be polite.

It's saddening for real

I couldn't care less about MinMin and Byleth, I wanted to slap sakurai in the face and all when I saw this.

But guess what, I never felt obliged to tweet about it like "OOOH IM PISSED, AND WHEN IM PISSED I HAVE TO STATE MY OPINION"

Never in my life done a tweet saying "**** YOU FIRE EMBLEM >:(((((( I WANTED GOKU IN SMASH, WHY U STEALIN IT WITH YOUR ****TY CHARACTER"

Now I'm pretty cool with Byleth, will never buy him, but one thing is sure, don't be a ****ass and go to twitter just to rant and/or mock other people, save your time.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
In terms of first parties I feel like the glaring omission's would be like... Waluigi, Isaac, Toad, Dixie Kong, Team Rocket (more of a personal opinion tho) Chibi Robo and the Chorus Kids as far as Nitendo goes. Not that much in the scheme of things

Edit: oh and Bandanna Dee
Predicting those characters feels like it was 10 years ago

.... Wait it was

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Don't mind me, but would it be foolish to say we still have a chance?
It's a weird situation for a lot of reasons but I feel like Geno's obstacles aren't really that big of a deal. I look at characters like Plant and Hero and Steve and Byleth and see the red tape and fan rules they bulldozed and Geno's situation doesn't look as bad in comparison.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
It's a weird situation for a lot of reasons but I feel like Geno's obstacles aren't really that big of a deal. I look at characters like Plant and Hero and Steve and Byleth and see the red tape and fan rules they bulldozed and Geno's situation doesn't look as bad in comparison.
Man he just got his costume announced. If he’s happening it’s not going to be in this pass. Best to just move on and accept the loss until the next chance pops up.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I'm so sorry about Geno everyone, and honestly I'm really upset about it too. I was at least Hoping if the costume Happened it would at least be a deluxe one like Sans and Cuphead and come with a song, but they couldn't even do that :/ honestly this should have just been in the base game.

Btw a Friend on twitter pointed out, but it's kinda false advertising for the Geno costume trailer to use the Forest Maze song when it's not only not in the game currently but also not included with the costume.

Typical corporation/advertising bs I suppose.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
I'm so sorry about Geno everyone, and honestly I'm really upset about it too. I was at least Hoping if the costume Happened it would at least be a deluxe one like Sans and Cuphead and come with a song, but they couldn't even do that :/ honestly this should have just been in the base game.

Btw a Friend on twitter pointed out, but it's kinda false advertising for the Geno costume trailer to use the Forest Maze song when it's not only not in the game currently but also not included with the costume.

Typical corporation/advertising bs I suppose.
:c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom