• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Even if they could only get one Mii Costume out of Square. I don't see why Sakurai couldn't come up with either:

A ) Some basic cool ideas for costumes not already present that are generic enough but might interest people.
B) Some Nintendo property Mii Fighter costumes.
C) Some gaming icons from other companies that he could have acquired to fill the empty spots.

All of the above. The only reason I can see for an absence of Mii Fighters is Sakurai came up with some other sort of surprise DLC to make up for the lack of Mii Fighter costumes and even that seems a reach, because if say by some miracle he got Geno as a full fledged fighter from Square, why not. put him as part of the pass?

A fighter in general seems unlikely as bonus material right now, because being part of the pass would advertise that character way way way way more than just ''Here you go."
I kinda wish there were more generic costumes in general, actually. In Ultimate the focus seems to have shifted largely to the 'consolation prize' character sets. Even just making a spiky wig that changes color to match the Mii's setting would already cover a ton of anime character recreations, for instance. And if I'm not mistaken, we have the Black Knight armor, but not a standard 'soldier' armor, right? That's a missed opportunity. ..And just once I'd like to have a Gunner outfit that has two hands instead of an arm cannon. so we could simulate ki attacks/magic and such.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I kinda wish there were more generic costumes in general, actually. In Ultimate the focus seems to have shifted largely to the 'consolation prize' character sets. Even just making a spiky wig that changes color to match the Mii's setting would already cover a ton of anime character recreations, for instance. And if I'm not mistaken, we have the Black Knight armor, but not a standard 'soldier' armor, right? That's a missed opportunity. ..And just once I'd like to have a Gunner outfit that has two hands instead of an arm cannon. so we could simulate ki attacks/magic and such.
If you specifically mean a standard suit of armor, what makes it even more baffling is that Smash 4 had a costume like that...
800px-PlateArmor.png

Smash 4 had a bunch of generic costumes and hats... and most of them, to my knowledge, aren't in Ultimate.

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
remember when mii costumes were just fun clothes to put your miis in and not a source of unimaginable mourning and suffering?? wild

Griselda

Smash Lord
remember when mii costumes were just fun clothes to put your miis in and not a source of unimaginable mourning and suffering?? wild
Yeah, it's terrible when it's the equivalent of a grave, but at least I can actually see it jumping around the stage, which I can't with just spirits. Some of my more out there picks like the Phantasy Star Classic cast.. I'd love to get costumes of them, since I'm not sure there's any other option for them. A Bass Mii gunner would also be a good thing in my eyes, though I'm sure he has someone out there who wants him as a fighter, so.. eh. Doesn't work for everyone, but I'll take it over still pictures.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
All this 1 Mii stuff... I'm skeptical. Yes, the hard-evidence is there but like someone postulated, maybe a slew of Mii Costumes will come bundled in a single tagline this time.

But how and why (since there's no former precedent for this)...?

Because they'll all be FF themed. Every last one.

1) to make up for the severe lack of FF content
2) to celebrate the franchise as a whole (not only FF7, as evidenced by Sephiroth's "FF" Representation tag, dropping the # 7).

I think they're gonna blow us out of the water with a huge pack of FF Mii Costumes, included in their own special bundle or purchasable individually at a premium.

Which leads me to...

GENO's Mii won't be present, GENO still in the running, GENO will be a playable character.

TO ADD: in Seph's trailer, they RE-EMPHASIZED "well, everyone's (not) here... JUST YET!" They really drove the stake on "Everyone is Here" again! Which to me is another indication that a certain Starboi who's endured over two decades of wishing upon the stars may yet get his opportunity to SMASH!

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I have hope for Geno. If he doesn't show up with possibly his biggest hurdle yet, this will undoubtedly boost his chances to even greater heights.

...though I'm sure detractors will move the goalpost like they always do.

As someone mentioned earlier, your dedication is truly something to be admired when you have gotten much less for your character compared to the previous top fan picks (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:). I want to remind for those who have forgotten that I still haven't played Super Mario RPG and, as such, have no personal attachment to Geno, but you guys should finally get your dues. Tgats why I've stayed here: because I want to support you guys and your unrelenting passion for Geno. I believe Geno's chances are still better than they've ever been, and that you guys should hopefully someday be able to rest knowing all the years of support you all did finally paid off. Geno can still get in, I truly believe that.

Good luck tomorrow Genobros.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm not really sure what else to say. I guess the only thing to do now is wait? ..Unless something else comes up before the presentation, that is.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don’t think this needs to be said, but Geno fans... DO NOT do anything dumb if he happens to be a Mii Costume. That goes for you to Fatman. I know you have a reputation for being “the Geno guy” here but you’re not a failure if he doesn’t get in. It just means it wasn’t meant to be, his status in Smash has nothing to do with you.

So stay safe out there, and hope for the best.
"Fatman, don't do anything rash if Geno doesn't get in."

"Alright, fine..."

Me if Geno doesn't get in:

daddd676c7b4f466f2e0b87f4fb5f61faba8352cr1-540-540v2_hq.jpg

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I think there’s plenty of precedent for a Final Fantasy character to come with a dearth of Final Fantasy character licenses. Sephiroth coming with one Mii Costume and it being the reused Chocobo hat doesn’t seem crazy far-fetched to me. Cloud only coming with a Chocobo costume to represent his series with was weird even back in Smash 4. Plus, although the 3rd-party Mii purge makes the Chocobo costume not coming back irrelevant, the only Final Fantasy Spirits in Ultimate as of now are Cloud’s fighter Spirits... and both of them only used his fighter render despite high-quality full body promotional Cloud renders existing. Yes we’ve gotten other Square Spirits since, but when you think about it, Square has consistently been EXCESSIVELY stingy with licensing out the FF7 characters for Smash, even just as PNGs, and that’s a fact entirely unrelated to any music licensing issues Square characters come with. It’s possible Sephiroth’s spirit board will be filled up with Final Fantasy enemies instead of characters, or maybe the FF7 cast will only come in as Spirits but not as costumes, depending on how picky Square chooses to be. The only weird thing is the lack of presence of other Square Enix costumes considering Dragon Quest got a few, especially with the 2B costume rumors, but the concept of Barret & Tifa & Aerith & crew not getting costumes actually makes sense to me based off of what we’ve seen.

Oh, as for a Mii showcase, they could just... not have one. A minor Chocobo hat highlight and that’s it.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Dont get me wrong, the 1 mii costume thing does sound great but... yeh i just cant see that happening. Both sakurai and square have to be aware that people arent a fan of the abysmal amount of final fantasy content in smash so theres no way they are going to repeat that with sephiroth. Im basically 100% expecting a tifa, barret and a chocobo hat. As well as geno, like 98%.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
"Fatman, don't do anything rash if Geno doesn't get in."

"Alright, fine..."

Me if Geno doesn't get in:

View attachment 295909
Speaking of, is there anything at all you've heard Fatman that could suggest that another Sega character in general and/or Eggman specifically is a possibility? Especially now that Sephy has broken both the 'second 2rd party' and '3rd party villain' walls down

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I picked Hyrule Warriors Wii U back up in preparation for Age of Calamity (which I don't have yet) and I'm riding on a 'Lv.111 Link in a Lv.11 Link stage' high. It's a pretty good feeling in contrast to the uncertainty and strangeness popping up here. Hearing Zant's "You! How did you conjure up victory from nothing!?" was amazing, and I'm hoping it's prophetic, too.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
The thread is at the end of hope, edge of despair. Some motivated, some still speculating.
5% odds that the star doesn't get mii costume. 5%.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Maybe the Mii costumes are skipped in general in today's presentation. Sakurai shortly mentions that the Chocobo costume will return and that's it. Just because there has always been a Mii wave doesn't mean we necessarily will have one this time, afaik it was never said that there will be new mii costumes in this presentation or in fighter presentations in general. There is still hope for Geno!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
As Much as I want to hope. I find it hard to believe that sephiroth would come with just ONE mii costume, and a returning one at that. I mean, I get square is stingy, but surely they can't be THAT stingy...
I mean, I feel like if it's only one costume, it's gonna be Chocobo. But only doing one costume would be really odd. Sephi's gonna need a spirit board, so surely they could do costumes for Tifa, Barret, and Aerith, since those characters would likely be on Sephi's board? And come to think of it, a Black Mage deluxe costume would be sweet if they chose to include one.

We'll see what happens. Perhaps Nintendo realized that we could guess the amount of Mii costumes by the slots, so they're obscuring their amount. Perhaps it wouldn't be entirely impossible to only use two slots on say, four costumes. Maybe they're even holding off slots until after the update that adds Seph. Who knows, but at least we'll find out soon

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If the raw data is to be believed and that we're only getting 1-2 Mii Costumes at most, it could potentially imply that the focus was more on the music tracks this time for FF7 than the costumes.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Imagine the trailer for the Mii Costumes starting and it’s just a Chocobo Mii dropping down on Battlefield and cut back to Sakurai and nothing else
I get that people would be disappointed by this, but honestly... I'd be more relieved than anything. No fan favorites like Geno or anyone else deconfirmed and taken out of the running for the rest of the pass (and potentially for the rest of Ultimate's DLC cycle).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I get that people would be disappointed by this, but honestly... I'd be more relieved than anything. No fan favorites like Geno or anyone else deconfirmed and taken out of the running for the rest of the pass (and potentially for the rest of Ultimate's DLC cycle).
I think the scenario would be really funny first and foremost, like the whole fanfare of the trailer and the triumphant music kicking in and it’s just choc boi

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As Much as I want to hope. I find it hard to believe that sephiroth would come with just ONE mii costume, and a returning one at that. I mean, I get square is stingy, but surely they can't be THAT stingy...
Mmmmm... Remember Cloud came with 2 in Smash 4 and Sakurai heavily implied the Geno Mii costume was a special case. This is also the company that allowed only two music tracks in the base game and the only franchise with a playable character with literally no spirit battles.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Mmmmm... Remember Cloud came with 2 in Smash 4 and Sakurai heavily implied the Geno Mii costume was a special case. This is also the company that allowed only two music tracks in the base game and the only franchise with a playable character with literally no spirit battles.
Man, if Sephiroth’s spirit is just his Smash render and his spirit board is like one Chocobo spirit and he gets one song I’ll be genuinely disappointed

But Geno would definitely be in so that’d be a win.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hope your darn confidence pulls off. I really do. I wanna see another year of speculation which will cause gamefaqs and 4chan Geno detractors to rage.
Trust me, if it turns out that MCG unintentionally leaked Sephiroth's Mii costume list 18 MONTHS AGO, the salt is going to be a mile high. This is an amazing development.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I haven't actually seen any yet where they didn't, I mean, like you said it's one of the most iconic gaming tracks for a reason.

I will say I wish SNK never got leaked just so I could have a very clear marker for who actually knows their stuff and who only knows about Nintendo. Seriously, I'd never played anything SNK related outside of Metal Slug, and I still knew exactly who they were and all the games and consoles they made, they really aren't obscure people.
This annoys the crap out of me. A few of the more popular Nintendo youtubers in particular were frozen with slack jaws right up until about the time Cloud shouted Sephiroth's name or when Sephiroth actually started talking. How? Just how do you call yourself a gamer and not recognize that? Either they're all stinky zoomers (sorry) or posers. I even got into an argument with one dude because I made this exact observation and commented that EVERYONE over a certain age should recognize this song because FF7 (and Ocarina) were THE games everyone was talking about during the late 90s. There's a reason Cloud was in such high demand for EVERY FF crossover and why Sephiroth consistently placed high on the IGN and Gamefaqs character competitions for years. Do people just forget all of that? Or are they all really too young and too fake to recognize?

Aye yi yi... For the record, Sephiroth has me more excited than I've been in a while. Banjo was more excitement, but Seph and Terry were about even level of "holy f*ck, they did it!" This DLC is a total win for boomers like me

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
You Geno fans sail the speculation scene like a storm with high winds.....

Just a bunch of highs and lows. It's almost poetic in a way. And yet you all never give up. After seeing Sephiroth I gave up on Geno and every other Square character for that matter, but it looks like me and others threw in the towel too quickly. It has been something looking through these pages. Personally I'm quite sus on there only being 1 or 2 costumes at most but we will just have to see. I'm going to be on the edge of my seat as this is probably one of, if not, the most intense round of Mii costumes so far. No matter what happens, there is going to be some major implications. Cacomallow, the Mii costume leak, Geno himself. There is a lot banking on this.

And we only have 8 hours to go until the truth is revealed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom