• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All the Fighter Pass characters have come with at least one Mii costume from the same franchise with the exception of :ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth: (with:ult_terry: having costumes from the same company as he brought content from SNK history with him. And whilst he didn’t originate in that franchise, Ryo did make a playable appearance in the Fatal Fury series). If there is only going to be one Mii Costume in this presentation, it seems more likely to me that it would be from Final Fantasy.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Holy moly! There is more guest watching us here right now than there are users. 57 users and 83 guests as I'm typing this.
This is a super late response, but someone made a 4chan thread last night (with links and screenshots) specifically making fun of Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and the rest of the thread. I think a few of the posters from this thread must've been in there too with some of the comments back lol

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
This is all starting to feel... so surreal. We've spent the last several days since the Game Awards dis pearing about Sephiroth and basically making our final peace with Geno's seemingly diminished chances... then, the literal night before the presentation, we end up finding some info that suddenly points to Geno surviving the upcoming Mii Costume wave of destruction.

We may not be out of the woods yet, but good god, I never thought things would start looking up like this.

If Sephiroth only comes with one costume and they chose Geno out of the possible choices, I'm gonna be convinced that someone on the dev team (not Sakurai, but someone working on Smash Ultimate) hates Geno and is trying their damndest to deconfirm him before Sakurai makes him playable.

... okay, maybe not, but good lord, the tone deafness that would have to be involved to make a decision like that...

Sakurai: * reveals Geno Mii Fighter costume *
Geno Fans: * despair intensifies *
Sakurai: * reveals playable Geno shortly afterwards *
Also Sakurai: Chill out, guys! It's just a social experiment!
If this was a social experiment, someone would have written a paper on you guys by now. It has produced some very interesting results.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thought about it a bit last night and I think the haters might be right. Sorry guys, but it was too obvious. We are getting an upgrade to a full face hat.

Can you imagine if this is how this week ends? After a week of heckling and jeering from Genopers and a lot of Geno fans genuinely despairing, the detractors get ass blasted into a singularity by a Baby Big Bird Bonnet? The ride never ends.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
No matter what happens tonight, everyone, keep your emotions in check. It's a video game. And it's some kind of miracle that Smash Ultimate is the game that it is now. If anything, it's pretty cool to have speculated together and celebrated our blue-caped friend together. Maybe we can support games like Another Crusade, or put our effort into writing/supporting/creating other projects. Some great art and ideas have come out of this thread.

So no matter what, try to stay positive.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Mmmmm... Remember Cloud came with 2 in Smash 4 and Sakurai heavily implied the Geno Mii costume was a special case. This is also the company that allowed only two music tracks in the base game and the only franchise with a playable character with literally no spirit battles.
What you're ignoring is that Square doesn't own the Final Fantasy music, or the Dragon Quest music, so it's not really them being stingy.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Very important day today Genoids. Time to stare it down, face it head on, and come out on the other side like we always do.

I don't know if I can take another Mii Fighter costume wave considering what's at stake this time, but here's to us hopefully weathering through the storm that is approaching... provoking...
Screenshot (216) - Copy.png

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Possibly only one Mii costume huh?

Either that means Sephiroth is coming with "a bonus hat offer! Just pay shipping and handling"

Or help us all.... they're gonna give us a DELUXE Geno Mii and go "It's so lifelike that alongside Sephiroth, it's almost like you're getting TWO fighters"

HeheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... that's not a mocking laugh that's more of a "Joker Loses it during The Killing Joke" laugh

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Can you imagine if this is how this week ends? After a week of heckling and jeering from Genopers and a lot of Geno fans genuinely despairing, the detractors get ass blasted into a singularity by a Baby Big Bird Bonnet? The ride never ends.
Everyone is gonna be like this once the presentation is over:
PicsArt_12-17-11.26.17.jpg

MidoriBlade

Smash Rookie
NNID
NovaBeast92
This is a super late response, but someone made a 4chan thread last night (with links and screenshots) specifically making fun of Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and the rest of the thread. I think a few of the posters from this thread must've been in there too with some of the comments back lol
Can you send me the link? It's for... "research".

Heoj

Smash Ace
Very important day today Genoids. Time to stare it down, face it head on, and come out on the other side like we always do.

Damn, theres so many movie scenes, clips and memes that perfectly describe this situation which is pretty fun to think about.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What you're ignoring is that Square doesn't own the Final Fantasy music, or the Dragon Quest music, so it's not really them being stingy.
I saw someone point out the composer wasn’t credited in the Sephiroth trailer, so it makes me wonder if this is true, or if the composers have a weird deal where they get paid whenever their music is used despite letting Square own it.

Just to make sure this really meant something, I checked the credits in Hero’s trailer, and sure enough, Sugiyama was credited.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I saw someone point out the composer wasn’t credited in the Sephiroth trailer, so it makes me wonder if this is true, or if the composers have a weird deal where they get paid whenever their music is used despite letting Square own it.

Just to make sure this really meant something, I checked the credits in Hero’s trailer, and sure enough, Sugiyama was credited.
Who owns OWA? It's possible their deal is "when it's for paid content", of which the trailer clearly isn't. It could also be an agreement in some way, like having to push FFVIIr in the showcase in return for lack of credits. There could be many things behind the scenes, really.

Otherwise it'd be a big oversight on Nintendo's part.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

That is odd. Maybe that's why the Advent Children remix was used?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I find it odd that if there are bonus fighters that Sephiroth would be part of the pass but only come with 1 or 2 Mii costumes instead of just a bonus fighter with music and they could add spirits whenever. I am willing to entertain that his Mii costumes could be lumped into one announcement or that he would bring music and spirits to further provide content for FF and other SE properties tho but still seems odd. Something is definitely up. Tonight will be very interesting. No matter what happens my inbox is always open and I'm with you all. We will see this through together.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Who owns OWA? It's possible their deal is "when it's for paid content", of which the trailer clearly isn't. It could also be an agreement in some way, like having to push FFVIIr in the showcase in return for lack of credits. There could be many things behind the scenes, really.

Otherwise it'd be a big oversight on Nintendo's part.
That is odd. Maybe that's why the Advent Children remix was used?
Idk; I know Nobuo Uematsu composed the original One-Winged Angel (and maybe the entire FF7 soundtrack), but a couple or so other dudes made the Advent Children arrangement.

I assumed the original composer, if he owns the music, would have rights to the new arrangement as well, but maybe I’m wrong.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Didn't get an answer in the main thread, but has there been any indication that we're getting any FF7 costumes? It is a logical conclusion given the fighter in question, but I was curious if there'd been anything specifically suggesting it.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Idk; I know Nobuo Uematsu composed the original One-Winged Angel (and maybe the entire FF7 soundtrack), but a couple or so other dudes made the Advent Children arrangement.

I assumed the original composer, if he owns the music, would have rights to the new arrangement as well, but maybe I’m wrong.
According to the information on this video, Uematsu did not do the AC arrangement.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
What'd they discover? Pardon me for not wanting to go dig for it.
So, last message number was 103 for the Mario Photo Contest, and this promotion is number 110, meaning that seemingly, Sephiroth is not coming with a lot. Let me run through what messages they always have, and how many that leaves for Mii's.
  • 104: Version Software 10.0 Coming Soon
  • 105: Version Software 10.0 Available.
  • 106: Sephiroth Challenger Pack Available to Purchase
  • 107: Fighter Pass 2 Available For Purchase
  • 108: Mii Costume Number 1
  • 109: Mii Costume Number 2
And that's it. So... only two Mii Costumes. When there were two Square Costumes very obviously held back from Hero's Pack. One of them being Geno.

View attachment 295860

This is REALLY not looking good guys.

EDIT: Should be noted that when Banjo released on the same day, they did not give a warning for the update. So he could POTENTIALLY come with three costumes, but it's a stretch since it's the only update they never did a warning for. Either way by far the lowest amount of costumes coming with any character, but Cloud ALSO only came with two in Smash 4.

2ND BIG EDIT : Disregard this post, it seems I missed the two posts for the 9.01 and 9.02 updates, skip ahead a few pages for more info.
You forgot to take the 'Planned software update: Ver. 9.0.1' and 'Planned software update: Ver. 9.0.2' notifcations into account; those count towards the post numbers. Since those aren't viewable on the news feed I don't actually know which numbers they occupy, but let's just assume they're 104 and 105

That leaves four 10.0.0-related news posts. If Sephiroth is shadowdropped tomorrow, there would be no need for a "Planned software update" notifications, which simply leaves:
  • Software update available: Ver. 10.0.0
  • Sephiroth Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
  • Fighters Pass Vol. 2 available for purchase! (Content update ③)
  • (one Mii Fighter costume)
I don't remember ever seeing those though... can anyone tell me if you got notifications in-game for those two updates? I lose my credibility if I'm wrong on this! I got a Dextero article for my dumbass post digging. A DEXTERO ARTICLE! :facepalm:
I'll update this post with screenshots in a minute! I've been documenting every news post like you!

EDIT: Done.

So, thanks to @MondoMega being more thorough than I was about the in-game Smash Site, we've gone from "bad situation" to "weird as all hell but actually probably good for Geno(?) situation".

Assuming the two smaller update warnings were General Post Numbers 104 and 105 (which there's basically no reason they wouldn't be), the post spread now looks like..
  • 106: Version 10.0 Available Now!
  • 107: Challenger Pack 8: Available Now!
  • 108: Buy Fighter Pass 2!
  • 109: Mii Costume 1
  • 110: Nintendo Switch Online Promotion
Which is... weird. It means Sephiroth is getting shadowdropped tomorrow (unless he comes with literally zero costumes), and even stranger, ONE COSTUME? But like... what else would fill those 4 extra slots but a batch of update posts? There's no way they wouldn't bring back the Chocobo Hat with Sephiroth, so that means if this is post numbering is accurate (which despite how weird it looks, has ZERO precedent or reasoning to suggest otherwise), Geno isn't showing up tomorrow.

View attachment 295880
OF COURSE IT WOULDN'T BE THE GENO FANBASE IF IT WASN'T A COMPLETE ROLLERCOASTER, NOW WOULD IT?
I think this sums it up.

Also yay! I learned how to use multi-quote.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
My understanding is that there will be even more questions regardless of outcome.
Well, the only scenario where the questions will be close to zero is if we end up getting a premium costume. I'm sorry, but if we get a premium, as in completely revamped with music, there really shouldn't be any question that Geno is dead. Every other scenario, however, yes, there will likely be more questions than answers. And if his costume is absent entirely? Hooooooo, boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom