• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Well this has been interesting to catch up on. Cloud only came with 1 final fantasy costume so the idea of seph only coming with 1(chocobo) isn't entirely unprecedented. Frankly finishing off pack 8 with 1 costume and like 2 songs would be hilarious after all the hemming and hawing about how seph was supposed to fix ff7 representation. That said this also would necessitate geno not returning and I'm not sure how to feel about that yet.
Keep in mind, Sephiroth has to fill in an entire Spirit Board as well. So I find it hard to believe that Sakurai did not cover getting the rights to use Tifa, Aerith, Barrett, Red XIII etc as Spirits. There just seems to be something not right with only getting ported costumes for this wave.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, thanks to MondoMega MondoMega being more thorough than I was about the in-game Smash Site, we've gone from "bad situation" to "weird as all hell but actually probably good for Geno(?) situation".

Assuming the two smaller update warnings were General Post Numbers 104 and 105 (which there's basically no reason they wouldn't be), the post spread now looks like..
  • 106: Version 10.0 Available Now!
  • 107: Challenger Pack 8: Available Now!
  • 108: Buy Fighter Pass 2!
  • 109: Mii Costume 1
  • 110: Nintendo Switch Online Promotion
Which is... weird. It means Sephiroth is getting shadowdropped tomorrow (unless he comes with literally zero costumes), and even stranger, ONE COSTUME? But like... what else would fill those 4 extra slots but a batch of update posts? There's no way they wouldn't bring back the Chocobo Hat with Sephiroth, so that means if this is post numbering is accurate (which despite how weird it looks, has ZERO precedent or reasoning to suggest otherwise), Geno isn't showing up tomorrow.

1554073037234.gif

OF COURSE IT WOULDN'T BE THE GENO FANBASE IF IT WASN'T A COMPLETE ROLLERCOASTER, NOW WOULD IT?

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Are we sure about this? One Mii Costume? I’m not saying the internal numbers don’t mean anything, far from it. I just find it hard to believe considering that if Sakurai could only negotiate for one SE costume(very likely Chocobo), then he can still add other non-Square costumes from other companies to compensate.
Still, this is something to keep an eye on and may definitely give us interesting outlook of what to expect tomorrow, I’m just a little skeptical, that’s all.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
So, thanks to MondoMega MondoMega being more thorough than I was about the in-game Smash Site, we've gone from "bad situation" to "weird as all hell but actually probably good for Geno(?) situation".

Assuming the two smaller update warnings were General Post Numbers 104 and 105 (which there's basically no reason they wouldn't be), the post spread now looks like..

Which is... weird. ONE COSTUME? But like... what else would fill those 4 extra slots but a batch of update posts? There's no way they wouldn't bring back the Chocobo Hat with Sephiroth, so that means if this is post numbering is accurate (which despite how weird it looks, has ZERO precedent or reasoning to suggest otherwise), Geno isn't showing up tomorrow.

View attachment 295880
OF COURSE IT WOULDN'T BE THE GENO FANBASE IF IT WASN'T A COMPLETE ROLLERCOASTER, NOW WOULD IT?
Is there any chance at all 106-109 are just potentially for something else, and 111 is where the Sephiroth wave would start?

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

Which is... weird. It means Sephiroth is getting shadowdropped tomorrow (unless he comes with literally zero costumes), and even stranger, ONE COSTUME? But like... what else would fill those 4 extra slots but a batch of update posts? There's no way they wouldn't bring back the Chocobo Hat with Sephiroth, so that means if this is post numbering is accurate (which despite how weird it looks, has ZERO precedent or reasoning to suggest otherwise), Geno isn't showing up tomorrow.

View attachment 295880
I swear to god this fanbase is gonna give me a heart attack one of these days with all these constant up and down **** going on

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 295880
You absolute mad lads are hellbent on taking us on a real trip of emotions in this last stretch before the Sakurai presents, aren't ya?

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet
If we really are only getting two costumes tomorrow I’m predicting they will be Choccobo and 2B because of that leak picture saying gooigi, perfect dark costume and 2B would get mii’s not sure if that pic was real or not though.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
What is the possibility of including all the Mii Costumes in one batch for the update? Like just say

"New Mii Costumes are here. Here they are now! Go shop for them right now you idiot!"

And the picture has like 4 or 5 guys on it. Similar to something like this.

That is certainly a possibility, but considering how they’ve done the same format for all of the Fighter Pass packs, I see no reason why they would suddenly change course.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Is there any chance at all 106-109 are just potentially for something else, and 111 is where the Sephiroth wave would start?
Not really, no. If it was just one, even two or three posts in a row being skipped, I might consider this. But FOUR? I don't think it could be anything else, especially since I don't think they've ever permanently skipped over a general post number like they've done for Spirits and Tournaments, and especially not FOUR.

What is the possibility of including all the Mii Costumes in one batch for the update? Like just say

"New Mii Costumes are here. Here they are now! Go shop for them right now you idiot!"

I don't see why they would have any reason to break the precedent on the 8TH Challenger Pack.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This is all starting to feel... so surreal. We've spent the last several days since the Game Awards dis pearing about Sephiroth and basically making our final peace with Geno's seemingly diminished chances... then, the literal night before the presentation, we end up finding some info that suddenly points to Geno surviving the upcoming Mii Costume wave of destruction.

We may not be out of the woods yet, but good god, I never thought things would start looking up like this.

If Sephiroth only comes with one costume and they chose Geno out of the possible choices, I'm gonna be convinced that someone on the dev team (not Sakurai, but someone working on Smash Ultimate) hates Geno and is trying their damndest to deconfirm him before Sakurai makes him playable.

... okay, maybe not, but good lord, the tone deafness that would have to be involved to make a decision like that...

If there's only one Mii costume and it's not Chocobo but Geno instead Smash Ultimate has been the ultimate 2-year long social experiment for the Smash speculation scene I see no other way this could happen LMAO
Sakurai: * reveals Geno Mii Fighter costume *
Geno Fans: * despair intensifies *
Sakurai: * reveals playable Geno shortly afterwards *
Also Sakurai: Chill out, guys! It's just a social experiment!

QQS

Smash Lord
Last time Sakurai said: “thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we will release another Mii fighter costume” and then the emphasis on the Geno costume with Forest Maze playing on the trailer and the Splash Art.

Now, at the end of the trailer, Sakurai will say: “thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we are finally able to reveal that we are working on a new character, which real name is hard to pronounce...”

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
It's a little hard to believe that they would leave four gaps like that for anything but a new update. Whatever's going on with the news post numbers, it's weird; we'll just need to se what happens tomorrow.

Technically possible, but it'd be REALLY weird to change how they handle this after seven Challenger Packs of the same thing.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Well, now I can never show my face in this thread again. Seriously, thanks for this, you've turned what was seemingly a bad situation for Geno into an extremely positive one.
Alrighty, I know "too good to be true" is one of the most overused and subjective phrases in Smash speculation, but...

This feels too good to be true.

I mean, Steve ended up being spot on so I don't have much reason to doubt it, but I already made my peace back on the 11th. Don't get me hoping again, Mondo and Pinshadow!
EdUnpZhXYAEQnY2.jpeg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One other thought is the costumes don't actually release as soon as Sephiroth, which explains the lack of the update coding. It's not there just yet.

Or Sephiroth is releasing a decent amount of time later, and we'll see the updates by that point. I.E. a week from now.

Like, I highly doubt literally 1 costume, though frankly my track record sucks. If it's neither the Chocobo Hat or Geno, then it'd be even more awkward. Though I've always been of the thought that not every costume is a guaranteed return, since they need to re-license its use for a new game, but, I doubt they'd say no. Maybe my theory isn't as off as I thought.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Sweet Jesus, if Geno dodges this bullet YET AGAIN, then oh Lordy, that's a whole other cycle of speculation for a whole other year.

Like I said before, I haven't played Legend of the Seven Stars, I'm only supporting Geno because I like rooting for the underdogs, and seeing people be happy. You genuine Geno fans, though, are real troopers, how have you made it through all this without going mad?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I've been skimming everyone's posts for like 30 pages now and I just absolutely love the positivity in this thread. Even if something bad happens for Geno's chances, you guys always look on the bright side of things and continue speculating even when things look grim, and I have absolute mad respect towards each and every single one of you guys for that.

I know I said I would take a break from speculation, but I have been thinking about you guys, and I really hope tomorrow brings us good news. While I completely expect Geno's outfit to return, I'm gonna hope for the best and pray that we can survive another Mii Costume Wave, because this is definitely the scariest Mii Costume Wave yet (And how fitting, the scary Mii Costume Wave is tied to a villain/final boss DLC character).

Anyways, I wish all my fellow Genobros the best of luck tomorrow! Let's get this show on the road! :geno:

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
this "one or two mii costume" stuff is extremely sketch to me. I remember that pinshadow got Steve's 6 costume amount dead on last time but this just seems really unrealistic. At the VERY least I could see there being two which means Geno is still vulnerable, but i'm still expecting a full set, honestly

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
1460950274427.gif

I won't lie, I'm just as baffled and confused as the rest of you by this. There's two outcomes here.
  • Sephiroth's Batch of posts comes in between 105 and 110, meaning he's both shadowdropped tomorrow and comes with ONE COSTUME.
  • Sephiroth's Batch of posts is after 110, meaning there is an unprecedented and unexplained four general post gap between 105 and 110.
As someone who's been examining the in-game site for about a year now, I really do think the second option makes even less sense than the first one. We'll just have to see what happens tomorrow I guess.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Sweet Jesus, if Geno dodges this bullet YET AGAIN, then oh Lordy, that's a whole other cycle of speculation for a whole other year.

Like I said before, I haven't played Legend of the Seven Stars, I'm only supporting Geno because I like rooting for the underdogs, and seeing people be happy. You genuine Geno fans, though, are real troopers, how have you made it through all this without going mad?
well,some dlc has been amazing, JKR,Hro,Banjo,Terry,Minmin. and there´s just work,school and life.
Some of us have been hoping and waiting for geno for some 19 years.
and others have gone mad.
---
the odds of sephy coming with one or two costumes is strange but not out of the ordinary remembering what cloud came with.
but still 35 mins?
what? will sakurai will show up with a sephy and katana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom