• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
So, last message number was 103 for the Mario Photo Contest, and this promotion is number 110, meaning that seemingly, Sephiroth is not coming with a lot. Let me run through what messages they always have, and how many that leaves for Mii's.
  • 104: Version Software 10.0 Coming Soon
  • 105: Version Software 10.0 Available.
  • 106: Sephiroth Challenger Pack Available to Purchase
  • 107: Fighter Pass 2 Available For Purchase
  • 108: Mii Costume Number 1
  • 109: Mii Costume Number 2
And that's it. So... only two Mii Costumes. When there were two Square Costumes very obviously held back from Hero's Pack. One of them being Geno.

View attachment 295860

This is REALLY not looking good guys.

EDIT: Should be noted that when Banjo released on the same day, they did not give a warning for the update. So he could POTENTIALLY come with three costumes, but it's a stretch since it's the only update they never did a warning for. Either way by far the lowest amount of costumes coming with any character, but Cloud ALSO only came with two in Smash 4.
You forgot to take the 'Planned software update: Ver. 9.0.1' and 'Planned software update: Ver. 9.0.2' notifcations into account; those count towards the post numbers. Since those aren't viewable on the news feed I don't actually know which numbers they occupy, but let's just assume they're 104 and 105

That leaves four 10.0.0-related news posts. If Sephiroth is shadowdropped tomorrow, there would be no need for a "Planned software update" notifications, which simply leaves:
  • Software update available: Ver. 10.0.0
  • Sephiroth Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
  • Fighters Pass Vol. 2 available for purchase! (Content update ③)
  • (one Mii Fighter costume)

Last edited:

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
wouldnt Tifa be "too showey" for a mii costume?
Part of the reason I would expect something like a block model FF7 Tifa, similar to the Minecraft costumes.

I think the other thing we learn tomorrow alongside Geno's fate is how much SE cares. If it is only 2 costumes and they were held back for this specific reason, then shame on SE for doing minimal work for something that should be a magnificent inclusion into the "gaming museum" with their role during the golden age.

The suspense continues to build, because some bricks will absolutely topple tomorrow.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You forgot to take the 'Planned software update: Ver. 9.0.1' and 'Planned software update: Ver. 9.0.2' notifcations into account; those count towards the post numbers. Since those aren't viewable on the news feed I don't actually know which numbers they occupy, but let's just assume they're 104 and 105

That leaves four for 10.0.0 related updates. If Sephiroth is shadowdropped tomorrow, there would be no need for a "Planned software update" notifications, which simply leaves
I don't remember ever seeing those though... can anyone tell me if you got notifications in-game for those two updates? I lose my credibility if I'm wrong on this! I got a Dextero article for my dumbass post digging. A DEXTERO ARTICLE! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but Crono getting costumed is extremely unlikely since CT's rights are shared between Square, Akira Toriyama, AND SHUEISHA (as in Shonen Jump). It's not impossible as Bamco likely has a really good relationship with Shueisha, but I don't think they'd want to involve them just for a mii costume (which isn't even going to be all that profitable for SE since they do not have 100% rights).

Likewise from what I hear, FF7 characters apparently cost an arm and a leg to license (or FF in general). It's probably one of the reasons why we didn't see any FF7 costumes in Smash 4 (aside from Chocobo). Now they probably did get enough to license out a decent amount of FF spirits, but Mii costumes would likely be another fee on top of it. Not as unlikely as Crono getting a costume, but I wouldn't really be surprised if they skimped out on FF costumes.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If it’s two costumes, I absolutely don’t see us not getting a new series alongside the chocobo hat since that directly related to Sephiroth.
At that point I’d be very shocked if Geno got a costume again.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
About the website quirk that's too much for my little nervous heart to take... Is it not possible for data in it to be updated after or shortly before Seph's costume wave is revealed? That's the one thing that leaves me skeptical. It's a fascinating find and might lead us on the right track, but it feels like something Nintendo should've caught on to.

... then again, what do i know. It's the same company who leaked the SNK copyright by accident.

just please let those two costumes be chocobo and 2b or something

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
I don't remember ever seeing those though... can anyone tell me if you got notifications in-game for those two updates? I lose my credibility if I'm wrong on this! I got a Dextero article for my dumbass post digging. A DEXTERO ARTICLE! :facepalm:
I'll update this post with screenshots in a minute! I've been documenting every news post like you!

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but Crono getting costumed is extremely unlikely since CT's rights are shared between Square, Akira Toriyama, AND SHUEISHA (as in Shonen Jump). It's not impossible as Bamco likely has a really good relationship with Shueisha, but I don't think they'd want to involve them just for a mii costume (which isn't even going to be all that profitable for SE since they do not have 100% rights).

Likewise from what I hear, FF7 characters apparently cost an arm and a leg to license (or FF in general). It's probably one of the reasons why we didn't see any FF7 costumes in Smash 4 (aside from Chocobo). Now they probably did get enough to license out a decent amount of FF spirits, but Mii costumes would likely be another fee on top of it. Not as unlikely as Crono getting a costume, but I wouldn't really be surprised if they skimped out on FF costumes.
Worth noting that Chocobo specifically uses a design from a spin-off Chocobo Dungeon DS game, not FFVII itself. That only furthers makes this apparent concept more likely.

---------------

Also, yes, if we have more notifications, that's worth noting too. Thanks for bringing that up, MondoMega. Not that I want Pinshadow to lose credibility, but I'd rather not miss any details.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The main reason I think Sephiroth is a cool addition is it gives the opportunity to give Final Fantasy, a massive franchise sorely lacking in content, the attention it very much deserves. In the event that he only comes with one stage, One-Winged Angel, only Fighter Spirits that use his Ultimate render, and no costumes from Final Fantasy... I would be less upset as much as bewildered.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Worth noting that Chocobo specifically uses a design from a spin-off Chocobo Dungeon DS game, not FFVII itself. That only furthers makes this apparent concept more likely.

---------------

Also, yes, if we have more notifications, that's worth noting too. Thanks for bringing that up, MondoMega. Not that I want Pinshadow to lose credibility, but I'd rather not miss any details.
I mean I was joking. If he's right, it means Sephiroth is only coming with ONE COSTUME. OH BOY.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
After looking into pinshadow's findings, verifying them, and thinking about it, I feel like this is a case of maybe the dev team not counting. Square had 4 costumes last time. What is Sakurai even gonna say if he turns up with only 1 or 2 costumes? lol something aint right
I'd be more accepting of this idea if we didn't have 8 previous DLC releases to look back on. They release all the posts in one batch, and the Switch Online Promotions come either before, or in this case after the batch in the post order.

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice
After looking into pinshadow's findings, verifying them, and thinking about it, I feel like this is a case of maybe the dev team not counting. Square had 4 costumes last time. What is Sakurai even gonna say if he turns up with only 1 or 2 costumes? lol something aint right

I would be fine with this, exchange songs for costumes. That gets a good 2 thumbs up from me

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

That leaves four 10.0.0-related news posts. If Sephiroth is shadowdropped tomorrow, there would be no need for a "Planned software update" notifications, which simply leaves:
There is no way

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
So ... how's the numbering looking? Is this ... good?

At the same time ... isn't kind of hard to believe that there would only be 1, if not 2 mii costumes?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean I was joking. If he's right, it means Sephiroth is only coming with ONE COSTUME. OH BOY.
...Welp. So it gets worse? D:

MondoMega MondoMega Could you put those images under a spoiler marking? They're rather huge and just massively slowed down my browser.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well, now I can never show my face in this thread again. Seriously, thanks for this, you've turned what was seemingly a bad situation for Geno into an extremely positive one.
So if those were within the 103-110 mark, then would this mean either one costume

OR no costumes, if Sephiroth/update 10.0 was later... :4pacman:

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well this has been interesting to catch up on. Cloud only came with 1 final fantasy costume so the idea of seph only coming with 1(chocobo) isn't entirely unprecedented. Frankly finishing off pack 8 with 1 costume and like 2 songs would be hilarious after all the hemming and hawing about how seph was supposed to fix ff7 representation. That said this also would necessitate geno not returning and I'm not sure how to feel about that yet.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

But this also means if Sephiroth ISN'T shadowdropped, we'll need an extra slot for "Planned software update", which would leave 0 slots for Mii Costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom