• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, last message number was 103 for the Mario Photo Contest, and this promotion is number 110, meaning that seemingly, Sephiroth is not coming with a lot. Let me run through what messages they always have, and how many that leaves for Mii's.
  • 104: Version Software 10.0 Coming Soon
  • 105: Version Software 10.0 Available.
  • 106: Sephiroth Challenger Pack Available to Purchase
  • 107: Fighter Pass 2 Available For Purchase
  • 108: Mii Costume Number 1
  • 109: Mii Costume Number 2
And that's it. So... only two Mii Costumes. When there were two Square Costumes very obviously held back from Hero's Pack. One of them being Geno.

View attachment 295860

This is REALLY not looking good guys.

EDIT: Should be noted that when Banjo released on the same day, they did not give a warning for the update. So he could POTENTIALLY come with three costumes, but it's a stretch since it's the only update they never did a warning for.
Uh... You sure about that? Every single Mii costume wave has come with at least one old costume and one new costume. This is the opposite of bad.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Hey Geno thread, dropping in to offer you my support. I hope we do get Geno as playable character, for the sake of his fans who have continued to be loyal through thick and thin. Regardless of whatever happens, here's hoping that Nintendo and Square Enix see there is a demand for Geno. And maybe in the future we can get a new full game with Geno in it or a remaster of Super Mario RPG.
Best of luck tomorrow!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Uh... You sure about that? Every single Mii costume wave has come with at least one old costume and one new costume. This is the opposite of bad.
After Hero got 4 Dragon Quest costumes with them? This makes it clear Square is STILL being stingy as hell with the Final Fantasy content, and that makes me think they held back Chocobo and Geno literally just because Square wouldn't budge on adding new costumes and they needed something for the wave.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
This is the opposite of bad.
Unstoppable Force

After Hero got 4 Dragon Quest costumes with them? It makes it clear Square is STILL being stingy as hell with the Final Fantasy content, it's making me think they held back Chocobo and Geno literally just because Square wouldn't budge on adding new costumes and they needed something for the wave.
Immovable Object

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I've got the next 20 hours covered:

This skeleton approves.
So, last message number was 103 for the Mario Photo Contest, and this promotion is number 110, meaning that seemingly, Sephiroth is not coming with a lot. Let me run through what messages they always have, and how many that leaves for Mii's.
  • 104: Version Software 10.0 Coming Soon
  • 105: Version Software 10.0 Available.
  • 106: Sephiroth Challenger Pack Available to Purchase
  • 107: Fighter Pass 2 Available For Purchase
  • 108: Mii Costume Number 1
  • 109: Mii Costume Number 2
And that's it. So... only two Mii Costumes. When there were two Square Costumes very obviously held back from Hero's Pack. One of them being Geno.

View attachment 295860

This is REALLY not looking good guys.

EDIT: Should be noted that when Banjo released on the same day, they did not give a warning for the update. So he could POTENTIALLY come with three costumes, but it's a stretch since it's the only update they never did a warning for. Either way by far the lowest amount of costumes coming with any character, but Cloud ALSO only came with two in Smash 4.
On one hand this is good because less slots means less chances for Geno to get shreked, but like you said they could literally just redo what they did in 4.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Enix getting less costumes makes some sense. Since it's not focused on Square stuff either. Square coming with multiple Square costumes?

I'm with Fatnmanonice. Also, 4 costumes is not even close to bad. That's a very decent amount. I'm expecting 4-6 like the other packs. I'm not worried whatsoever.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Enix getting less costumes makes some sense. Since it's not focused on Square stuff either. Square coming with multiple Square costumes?

I'm with Fatnmanonice. Also, 4 costumes is not even close to bad. That's a very decent amount. I'm expecting 4-6 like the other packs. I'm not worried whatsoever.
It's not four dude, it's TWO. At most three in a very unlikely scenario where they shadowdrop Sephiroth tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
After Hero got 4 Dragon Quest costumes with them? This makes it clear Square is STILL being stingy as hell with the Final Fantasy content, it's making me think they held back Chocobo and Geno literally just because Square wouldn't budge on adding new costumes and they needed something for the wave.
But, like I said, this would mean this would be literally the only pack to have absolutely no new costumes. I'm really hard pressed to believe that they couldn't muster a single new Square costume.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
But, like I said, this would mean this would be literally the only pack to have absolutely no new costumes. I'm really hard pressed to believe that they couldn't muster a single new Square costume.
That's fair, but why would they only do ONE new costume? Even Cloud in Smash 4 got two. I think it makes way more sense if they just decided to do no new costumes for a wave, Square is the only company I can see being difficult enough for that to happen.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Do you think we gonna have a reveal tomorrow?
That's a 1 in 14,000,605 chance sadly, you'll have a coin land on its side before that happens.

Though with how out of left field Sephiroth felt, anything could happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's fair, but why would they only do ONE new costume? Even Cloud in Smash 4 got two. I think it makes way more sense if they just decided to do no new costumes for a wave, Square is the only company I can see being difficult enough for that to happen.
If it really is down to a single Mii costume... I'm going to guess 2B or Crono. Crono because of the 7 Squares and 2B because of MCG and the Nier's 10th anniversary.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If only two costumes are coming, then that means Geno's got a literal 50/50 shot of surviving. Either they're repeating Cloud's Mii Costumes from Smash 4 and bringing back Geno and Chocobo... or they miraculously managed to license just one character (possibly Tifa or Moogle, or maybe a non-Final Fantasy character like Crono) for a new costume, then just decided to bundle them with the returning Chocobo hat.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
After Hero got 4 Dragon Quest costumes with them? This makes it clear Square is STILL being stingy as hell with the Final Fantasy content, and that makes me think they held back Chocobo and Geno literally just because Square wouldn't budge on adding new costumes and they needed something for the wave.
I might actually lose my **** if that's the case. Not only do they stiff us on final fantasy content, but deliberately holding back geno and chocobo just to act as filler? I might be downright livid.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
If we are only getting 2 costumes, then it'll need to be 1 old, 1 new.
Why one new? Well, they skipped over a spirit event this week, so that means, if we're only getting 2 Miis, it would relate to a new series, not one already within Smash.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
So I'm someone who has doubted that Geno's Mii would be upgraded to deluxe if it returned. But if there are only two Mii costumes coming with Sephiroth and they end up being Chocobo and Geno, I think that may be a good sign that Geno's costume would be deluxe. Each wave since starting with Banjo's had made it a point to have one really nice looking costume. Even if Geno's does not get a nice head model, I think at least this means it would come with Beware the Forest Mushrooms.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
It's not four dude, it's TWO. At most three in a very unlikely scenario if they shadowdrop Sephiroth tomorrow.
We know bringing back Chocobo is a no-brainer, so that leaves 1 to 2 empty slots.

Worst case scenario: Chocobo and Geno.

Best case scenario: Chocobo, Barret and Tifa. Maybe swap one of the latter two with Aerith.

Another best case scenario: Chocobo, Cactuar and Moogle.
This would work to sort of represent the entire series by using creatures that appear throughout multiple games.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Why one new? Well, they skipped over a spirit event this week, so that means, if we're only getting 2 Miis, it would relate to a new series, not one already within Smash.
They did skip over a Spirit Event, but that's not confirmation of anything, they've skipped around before for no reason at all. They did skip over Cuphead's Spirit event number and it did eventually show up once his costume got in, but we won't really know until tomorrow.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not four dude, it's TWO. At most three in a very unlikely scenario if they shadowdrop Sephiroth tomorrow.
Are you trying to hard do patterns? Cause I can barely parse your argument from the data you gave, honestly. No. Sorry, but I don't see it whatsoever.

4-6 easily. There's no good reason to believe we'd get barely any costumes. Hero isn't even much of an outlier. It had one less costume than normal, due to having an actual series focus instead. Never mind the "missing costumes" easily is explained by both not being related to the Enix side(who are picky enough, and both Chocobo and Geno are Square, so you can't really apply that to Square either in the picky comparison) and because they had already figured out DLC of which to throw the costumes onto. Geno was clearly not going to be in Pass 1, though we know this in hindsight, too. So, it missing isn't that odd anymore. It was at the time, but now we can see why. If he's not with Sephiroth tomorrow, then he's either playable or oddly put on something else(could be some other rpg thing, could be a Mario character, etc.) Chocobo Hat is practically a guarantee either way.

We have 1 or 2 easy returning costumes(and Geno is not a guaranteed return here), plus multiple costumes to throw onto the Sephiroth presentation. Even if we barely get just those two and Moogle Hat, we're still going to have room for other easy stuff. This also includes obvious FFVII costumes to help promote FFVIIr, an easy sale that makes a ton of sense. I doubt we'd be getting 3 returning costumes here either. So no Lloyd, etc. They wouldn't fit in with the Square factor very well, who are only partially picky.

I'm not going to say my prediction is all that plausible, but any below 4 I just don't see a good reason to happen. I'm saying this also cause I admit I'm having a hard time getting what you're saying too. Though to be fair, I wouldn't agree either way so you shouldn't feel the need to explain it better. I'm going in hard with 4-6 costumes myself.

CB Johnny

Smash Rookie
The Rule of Three is this week's spirit event, no? Or do I have a misconception about how they're usually scheduled?

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
We know bringing back Chocobo is a no-brainer, so that leaves 1 to 2 empty slots.

Worst case scenario: Chocobo and Geno.

Best case scenario: Chocobo, Barret and Tifa. Maybe swap one of the latter two with Aerith.

Another best case scenario: Chocobo, Cactuar and Moogle.
This would work to sort of represent the entire series by using creatures that appear throughout multiple games.
I could actually see it being the Chocobo hat and a full-body Moogle brawler costume. Maybe even a Tonberry sword fighter costume if the robe wouldn't get in the way.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are you trying to hard do patterns? Cause I can barely parse your argument from the data you gave, honestly. No. Sorry, but I don't see it whatsoever.

4-6 easily. There's no good reason to believe we'd get barely any costumes. Hero isn't even much of an outlier. It had one less costume than normal, due to having an actual series focus instead. Never mind the "missing costumes" easily is explained by both not being related to the Enix side(who are picky enough, and both Chocobo and Geno are Square, so you can't really apply that to Square either in the picky comparison) and because they had already figured out DLC of which to throw the costumes onto. Geno was clearly not going to be in Pass 1, though we know this in hindsight, too. So, it missing isn't that odd anymore. It was at the time, but now we can see why. If he's not with Sephiroth tomorrow, then he's either playable or oddly put on something else(could be some other rpg thing, could be a Mario character, etc.) Chocobo Hat is practically a guarantee either way.

We have 1 or 2 easy returning costumes(and Geno is not a guaranteed return here), plus multiple costumes to throw onto the Sephiroth presentation. Even if we barely get just those two and Moogle Hat, we're still going to have room for other easy stuff. This also includes obvious FFVII costumes to help promote FFVIIr, an easy sale that makes a ton of sense. I doubt we'd be getting 3 returning costumes here either. So no Lloyd, etc. They wouldn't fit in with the Square factor very well, who are only partially picky.

I'm not going to say my prediction is all that plausible, but any below 4 I just don't see a good reason to happen. I'm saying this also cause I admit I'm having a hard time getting what you're saying too. Though to be fair, I wouldn't agree either way so you shouldn't feel the need to explain it better. I'm going in hard with 4-6 costumes myself.
It's not pattern recognition/theorycraft, it's literally raw data in the game. Pinshadow correctly discovered that Steve would have 6 Mii costumes by examining these last time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming Square is stingy as believed how is it they were able to get Sephitoth then?

Only explanation I can think is only letting Cloud back in under the condition of also adding Sephiroth.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not pattern recognition/theorycraft, it's literally raw data in the game. Pinshadow correctly discovered that Steve would have 6 Mii costumes by examining these last time.
I still don't buy it, even with the raw data. Data gets added later on anyway. Remember, Sephiroth's update isn't out yet. And data can change easily.

I'm not convinced, simply put. Nothing short of seeing it tomorrow will convince me. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm going to stay optimistic for more than 2(4-6 total) regardless. So it's best we move on.

I misread what you meant earlier then. Cause I thought you weren't convinced. Either way, I'm sticking with my predictions.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This makes no sense when square has licensed several spirit events during the first and second DLc wave. They clearly don’t kind handing content out. So I would say this scenario that they held them back specifically because of that is unlikely.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
They did skip over a Spirit Event, but that's not confirmation of anything, they've skipped around before for no reason at all. They did skip over Cuphead's Spirit event number and it did eventually show up once his costume got in, but we won't really know until tomorrow.
If it happened with Cuphead then I think things look absolutely amazing then for Geno.
If we're only getting 2 Miis, then if the missing spirit event means much, that'll mean 1 of them will be from a new series, 2B or Crono, and the returning one will 101% be Chocobo and then... that's it.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Alright let me break it down, really think I should just make a TL:DR for this since I have to explain it every time I bring the in-game site up (nothing on you, I'll admit it is bewildering if you have no idea what it is).

This
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/index.html
Is the site Smash Ultimate opens in-game with all the announcements, Spirit Events, and what not. (I know the link looks weird, trust me it's fine.) Opening the site on an Internet Browser let's you see that each post image is actually numbered in it's filename, they are catagorized based on the type of message they are (tournament, Spirit Event, and everything else) and numbered in more or less sequential order, so when the numbers go blatantly out of order, like say the general posts jumping from 103 to 110, it's clear something is up.

In the case of a massive jump in general posts, it means the posts meant to come with a major update are in the system and we can pretty easily figure out what they are because they do the exact same posts with every character. A warning about the update coming soon (which is removed later), the Version Update itself being released, a post about the Challenger Pack, and a post about the Fighters Pass overall. Just plug the numbers in, and the rest of the posts are for the Mii Costumes. Worked perfectly when we did the same thing for Steve, see no reason why it wouldn't here.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Sephiroth's probably gonna come with at least 4 Mii costumes, bare minimum.

If Nintendo went through the hoops to negotiate Artwork for Spirits but didn't get the Mii costume rights for some reason, that'd be messed up.
That is what I am thinking. It would be *** backwards to go through the trouble for a decent amount of Spirits...and two costumes.

That being said, pinshadow pinshadow 's findings were SPOT ON leading up to Steve. All we can do is wait and see.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Alright let me break it down, really think I should just make a TL:DR for this since I have to explain it every time I bring the in-game site up (nothing on you, I'll admit it is bewildering if you have no idea what it is).

This
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/index.html
Is the site Smash Ultimate opens in-game with all the announcements, Spirit Events, and what not. (I know the link looks weird, trust me it's fine.) Opening the site on an Internet Browser let's you see that each post image is actually numbered in it's filename, they are catagorized based on the type of message they are (tournament, Spirit Event, and everything else) and numbered in more or less sequential order, so when the numbers go blatantly out of order, like say the general posts jumping from 103 to 110, it's clear something is up.

In the case of a massive jump in general posts, it means the posts meant to come with a major update are in the system and we can pretty easily figure out what they are because they do the exact same posts with every character. A warning about the update coming soon, the Version Update itself being released, a post about the Challenger Pack, and a post about the Fighters Pass overall. Just plug the numbers in, and the rest of the posts are for the Mii Costumes. Worked perfectly when we did the same thing for Steve, see no reason why it wouldn't here.
Ah, now I get what you mean.

As I said before, my prediction is unchanged, but thanks for clearing it up.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I was someone that didn't think we'd get New Final Fantasy Mii Costumes

Negotiations for Mii's Differ from PNG's, Music, and etc.

Mii costumes, more precisely New Mii costumes have to be Fully modeled, and Rigged to the Mii Fighter, and that takes much more work than Plugging in Artwork (and editing the A.I and putting in status effects), and Plugging in Music, assuming there's little to no Remixes

Along with the fact that Square has to approve every design aspect of the Hypothetical Miis. It's why I was kind of Skeptical of FF7 Miis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom