• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm still having a hard time thinking both SE and Nintendo considered Sephiroth the safety pick should Geno negotiations broke up.

Something just isn't sitting right with me about that.

Chrono seems ripe for a Mii Costume treatment, honestly. Implementing him as a fighter without Double or Triple Techs just seems wrong from a design perspective. The Mii would let them have the aesthetic and feel without having to worry about playstyle.
While I don't think negotiations fell through but rather Sephy is part of a bargain to get Geno, it makes a lot of sense that Sephy would be high on the list over other characters.

He is way more iconic and loved right now than the other Square characters people talk about and always will be since FF7 is considered their Magnum Opus by the majority of the community.

I really hope geno doesnt miss this mii pack, only to become a mii in fighters pass 3 and crono gets in. That would be extremely cruel and if geno needs to get deconfirmed; just do it now
This is doomer talk and makes no sense. Crono has basically no demand and no future, not even compatible to Geno who has a future with the renewed partnership of Nintendo and Square and has massive demand.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
This is doomer talk and makes no sense. Crono has basically no demand and no future, not even compatible to Geno who has a future with the renewed partnership of Nintendo and Square and has massive demand.
I see no reason to think Crono is a lock if he doesn't get Mii'd but not Geno despite dodging 2 Mii waves at that point.
One Gamefaqs list from 2018 doesn't stop the overwhelming amount of evidence.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll be reasonably pissed if Crono gets in before Geno
It's a weird situation, no doubt, because we're now getting this picture that there's a very strong possibility that Hero AND Sephiroth were greenlit around the same time in 2018. What's wild about this is that it presents a situation similar to Min Min/ARMS: turned down for (what?) base but decided for Season 2 around E3 2019. Given all the strange things that happened to Geno in July 2019, it definitely makes for a compelling story and unironically might give credence to the tinfoil hat theory I had ages ago that the sheer public outcry of the Grinch Leak might have actually worked in Geno's favor. I dunno but it's fun to consider that the biggest troll in Smash history might have done some good.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Once again. Thinking that Sephiroth is a pitty prize for the failed Sora/Geno talk is probably the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

That's basically being like
Sakurai "Ah **** man, my old car broke and I want a new one, can I have this one?" point to a second-handed car
Square-Enix "No no no, no way sir, we can't do that, I refuse, however, would you like this?" Point to a brand new Tesla car

That's basically how it sounds.
I'm a diehard Sora fan, but thinking that Sephiroth was a pitty choice is probably the stupidest thing ever. He got in because he was the main dish from the start, no more no less

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
While I don't think negotiations fell through but rather Sephy is part of a bargain to get Geno, it makes a lot of sense that Sephy would be high on the list over other characters.

Thats exactly what I mean. "We want Geno. No, you get Sephiroth." seems so bass ackwards.

"We want Geno. Okay, we want Sephiroth, let's talk." makes so much more sense.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
I hope you’re right, but from what i am seeing of these lists and what not that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is posting, it sounds like crono was acthally under some consideration while geno was just some sort of joke or “not to be taken seriously”

it sounds like sephiroth, dragonquest, and crono were considered while geno and sora were just jokes or something. It is not making me feel confident

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Steve nor Banjo were taken seriously by Gamefaqs and other places, Gamefaqs does not like Geno and this is the only place I've seen... ever, that said Crono was heard but Geno was a joke.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
As a fan of the soundtrack of Super Mario RPG I wanted to talk about its music for some time and which songs fall under the ownership of which company. Excluding the three Final Fantasy IV songs originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu, most of the compositions used in the game are either originals by Yoko Shimomura or arrangements remixed by Shimomura of older Koji Kondo songs from various previous Mario games. It is interesting to note that these arrangements of older Mario songs were sometimes reused in later Mario games without any involvement of Shimomura or Square which might imply that even though she added additional layers and melodies to these songs that the arrangements are still fully owned by Nintendo and can be used without any necessary negotiations with third parties. On the other hand there are the original compositions of Shimomura that were not based on any previous songs and only got used again if Square Enix was involved indicating that those songs are fully owned by Square Enix.

I made a list of the remixed songs that I noticed in other games. I’ll put them in a spoiler so that the message is not getting too long.

The Pipe House theme from Super Mario RPG also known as Mario’s Pad is a combination of Mario Bros 3’s Grass Land theme and the iconic Mario Bros 1 Overworld theme. A remade version of that same song was used in another Yoko Shimomura composed Mario game and its remake. It’s the World Map theme from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of3f3LMKFig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRK1g_F8C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkE3boAJRo

From Inside the Earthern Pipe from Super Mario RPG is the classic Underground theme remixed with some more synth ambience to it. A remade version of that arrangement appeared in the first Mario Party game as The Room Underground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHnjs_AO1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRYXV4_n38

Bowser’s Magma Mountain from Mario Party starting at 0:23 uses the same organ melody from the first and second visit of Bowser’s Keep from Super Mario RPG. (The beginning also reminds me of Pokemon’s Indigo Plateau and Earthbound Beginnings/Mother’s Mt. Itoi music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hcX2bVB5ew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ZzAv7MVeA
It might seem like an original composition at first but I think what justified it to be used is that starting at 0:30 it begins to transform into the Bowser boss theme from Mario Bros. 3 which also got used in Super Mario RPG.

Speaking of which, the Smash remix sounds like the transitions between the parts are at least partially inspired by the Super Mario RPG version with some guitar riffs of his boss music in Yoshi’s Island and then a section remixed after the Dark Land theme from Mario Bros 3 which was also the base for his Mario World boss theme. So it really is a medley of many great parts of Bowser‘s history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlY1kw8u22w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocAJZWp40Y8

The last one is Peach’s Castle from Fortune Street which is a remade version of Hello Happy Kingdom from Super Mario RPG. This one is a song not based on any of Koji Kondo’s works but an original composition of Shimomura so likely a song under ownership of Square Enix. This might explain why it was used in this game as Fortune Street was developed by Square Enix. The Fortune Street arrangement was done by Koichi Sugiyama, the famous Dragon Quest composer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZQV-3GS2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6xr-e_jcY

Also of note is Yoko Shimomura’s Memoria compilation album which featured many orchestral arrangements of her older works including Super Mario RPG’s famous Forest’s Maze at 00:03:36 and Goodbye Geno at 00:45:46 and was published by Square Enix, finally confirming the ownership of these songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wURsjrwX0Rc

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Once again. Thinking that Sephiroth is a pitty prize for the failed Sora/Geno talk is probably the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

That's basically being like
Sakurai "Ah **** man, my old car broke and I want a new one, can I have this one?" point to a second-handed car
Square-Enix "No no no, no way sir, we can't do that, I refuse, however, would you like this?" Point to a brand new Tesla car

That's basically how it sounds.
I'm a diehard Sora fan, but thinking that Sephiroth was a pitty choice is probably the stupidest thing ever. He got in because he was the main dish from the start, no more no less
Which is why, looking back on that story: why would that guy have that opinion? Wouldn't it be the other way around? Bowser, Eggman,Wily, Dracula, Ganon, and Sephiroth are the most iconic video game villains of all time. The idea of Sephiroth being a fail-safe for Geno is weird to me and I think the only reason he went in that direction was because he thought multiple Square Enix characters were impossible. As you and Naz can attest to, it's like when Sabi shared with us that those two Microsoft ambassadors thought Steve was leakbait for Banjo (or even Chief) only for that to ultimately not be true a year and a half later.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Steve nor Banjo were taken seriously by Gamefaqs and other places, Gamefaqs does not like Geno and this is the only place I've seen... ever, that said Crono was heard but Geno was a joke.
Oh come on Para.
You know that's not true. This whole "GameFAQS hates Geno that's why they said he was a joke!!" narrative is a strawman and needs to stop, I've seen you say this on Discord too.

These are DMs back and forth between relatively credible people who just happen to be logged onto GameFAQS. This isn't your average basement-dwelling GameFAQS user complaining about how Geno is garbage and will never get in on a new thread they made. PolarPanda aka the Sabister wasn't a great person at all, absolutely, but they didn't present the stuff they heard with this GameFAQS-like antigeno bias like you are claiming here.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If geno’s costume doesn’t come back on Thursday I’m gonna strongly believe that Nintendo negotiated for hero and Geno and came to the Conclusion with square that Geno can get in but sephiroph would have to be added first because they wanted more FF stuff. Geno’s gonna end up being last or 2nd to last if this is the case.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Which is why, looking back on that story: why would that guy have that opinion? Wouldn't it be the other way around? Bowser, Eggman,Wily, Dracula, Ganon, and Sephiroth are the most iconic video game villains of all time. The idea of Sephiroth being a fail-safe for Geno is weird to me and I think the only reason he went in that direction was because he thought multiple Square Enix characters were impossible. As you and Naz can attest to, it's like when Sabi shared with us that those two Microsoft ambassadors thought Steve was leakbait for Banjo (or even Chief) only for that to ultimately not be true a year and a half later.
So, with all of this, where does this leave us all at the end of the day?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If geno’s costume doesn’t come back on Thursday I’m gonna strongly believe that Nintendo negotiated for hero and Geno and came to the Conclusion with square that Geno can get in but sephiroph would have to be added first because they wanted more FF stuff. Geno’s gonna end up being last or 2nd to last if this is the case.
See, this is what absolutely BAFFLES me about what is going on with all the pessimism right now.

Not shy of a year or so ago, many of us here even theorized that Geno could be negotiated for and that part of the terms would be Square getting content from another franchise that would be more profitable for them.

Where did all that logical thought process go?

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
As I read this, I immediately recalled the infamous Culex secret boss fight. His form does also seem like that of a deity (an evil one at that).

I've always thought that Culex looked strikingly similar to Kefka's final form from FF6, actually. Just one Final Fantasy game removed from Sephiroth...

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I may be late to the party, but remember when Isabelle was revealed and all of those Final Fantasy games were being released on the Switch? I said to myself, "We're getting another FF character, I can feel it." but then comes the dog. Now, tying this into Sephiroth, what if Sephiroth was intended for the base game but Square wanted to push him as DLC? Remember that Steve took five years to negotiate and the Project Plan for Ultimate may include DLC (What he says vs. what really happens behind closed doors are two different things) as well. Sephiroth may have been planned from the start but pushed back to a later date. Things take time to develop and conceive. The Geno costume may appear Thursday but a lot of other FF costumes may appear as well to potentially tie into the games that released in 2018 on the Switch. Perhaps Sephiroth is a quid pro quo for Geno. Reminder that Hero is Armor Project/Enix/Bird Studio/Koichi Sugiyama, hence why prior to this pack, Dragon Quest got more overall.

And someone else mentioned Gex in this thread as a potential costume. As a man who grew up idolizing that gecko and recently revisited the games, that would be a surprise and a half I'd be okay with and I hate the concept of Mii Costumes to a T.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Oh come on Para.
You know that's not true. This whole "GameFAQS hates Geno that's why they said he was a joke!!" narrative is a strawman and needs to stop, I've seen you say this on Discord too.

These are DMs back and forth between relatively credible people who just happen to be logged onto GameFAQS. This isn't your average basement-dwelling GameFAQS user complaining about how Geno is garbage and will never get in on a new thread they made. PolarPanda aka the Sabister wasn't a great person at all, absolutely, but they didn't present the stuff they heard with this GameFAQS-like antigeno bias like you are claiming here.
I've said what's making me lean to the fact this "Don't take Geno seriously!!!" as being anti-Geno bias.
If there was solid and real Crono rumors outside of this one thing, then yes I would probably take it more seriously, but there is none, the main 3 characters with real evidence were:
-Hero
-Sephiroth
-Geno
Things likely changed, and there has been no talk about Crono outside of these few times in 2018, and yet people are acting like it's 100% happening.
Geno's only real competition in my opinion was Sephiroth, and he's in, if Geno dodges this, Geno is probably in.

Crono along with Katalina and a few other random names are dead 2018 rumors, unlike the Steve, Sephiroth, Lloyd, Hayabusa, Geno, Waluigi, and Crash rumors, which all has been getting more ground ever since then.

Nothing is pointing to Crono being a serious name, that's the ground I'm going to stand on and feel free to call my over-confident like people normally do.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, with all of this, where does this leave us all at the end of the day?
I'm basically going to repeat what I said earlier:

-Geno is only 100% dead on Thursday if 1. the costume comes back and its significantly updated (full blown mascot head and ****) and/or 2. it's a "premium costume" and comes with a music track.

For all we know a plain-ass Geno costume was decided for Sephiroth in 2018 but I'm not expecting this. As other people have said, it would be scummy as hell, especially in the light that Geno had been a top 5 character this speculation cycle. Whether an anticlimactic death or a fake out, I don't think anybody would take that well and part of why I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt.

MattX20

Smash Hero

-Geno is only 100% dead on Thursday if 1. the costume comes back and its significantly updated (full blown mascot head and ****) and/or 2. it's a "premium costume" and comes with a music track.

For all we know a plain-ass Geno costume was decided for Sephiroth in 2018 but I'm not expecting this. As other people have said, it would be scummy as hell, especially in the light that Geno had been a top 5 character this speculation cycle. Whether an anticlimactic death or a fake out, I don't think anybody would take that well and part of why I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt.
That's very reassuring to say the least.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I hope Geno gets in someday. He's been such a request for so long. I hope the best for you guys!
Very unlikely. Square content has only come with Square characters, so Lloyd will be safe for now. Only Geno is potentially at risk
I actually think it's super likely that Lloyd will be deconfirmed on Thursday. We got Heihachi with Min Min and Gil with Steve. It only stands to reason that the pattern will continue and Lloyd will come with Sephiroth.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I hope Geno gets in someday. He's been such a request for so long. I hope the best for you guys!

I actually think it's super likely that Lloyd will be deconfirmed on Thursday. We got Heihachi with Min Min and Gil with Steve. It only stands to reason that the pattern will continue and Lloyd will come with Sephiroth.
Based on what exactly? As stated earlier, Square content only comes with Square characters, which has proven consistent with Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate. Lloyd belongs to Bandai Namco.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Hot take: Never understood the Mii costumes can not be fighters fan rule, obviously the new deluxe Mii costumes won't become fighters due to there being actual work put into the models and a song, but I never understood why Mii costumes can not be fighters to some people. THE BASE GAME HAS SO MANY MII COSTUMES BASED ON FIGHTERS.... and DLC Mii costumes deconfirming fighters never made sense to me. As far as we are aware, the only official rules are the following:

1. Has to originate from a video game
2.Deluxe Miis will not become fighters(not confirmed but most likely will stay true)
3. that's it....literally the rest are fan rules that have never been broken

those fan rules are

1. Assist trophies can not be fighters
2. Mii fighters can't be fighters
3.Insert any other fan rule here
The rule comes from how it wouldn't make sense to release anything for a character that is clearly meant to be a consolation prize beforehand and then add them playable later. Add on top that its paid DLC, if Geno shows up Thursday he really isnt happening unless there is a third pass.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hey, did...uh, anyone else catch that indie Direct today? Specifically the Meat Boy Forever one?

Did the, uh, intro seem familiar to anyone else?

What the...

puts on glasses

My... God... Super Meat Boy Forever GOTY 2021 FREE! 👀 👀 👀 I didn't even catch the reference when I saw the trailer start. It's almost shot for shot! Is this... part of the prophecy?!?!

Firox

Smash Master

My thoughts exactly. Basically, if the old costume has been touched in any way, Geno's pretty much toast. If not......

1608064364574.png

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's very reassuring to say the least.
As often as I joke about this fanbase's miserable luck and Murphy's Law, Geno getting deconfirmed a week from Christmas at the end of one of the worst years globally in recent human history seems a bit overkill even for us. Even if it was a fake out,I'd like to think that Nintendo would have the basic optics to not do this. If Geno's dead on Thursday, I think it's going to be a clean kill with no ambiguity because that's how it has been with literally everyone else.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If Geno returns at all, isn't that a deconfirmer? At the end of the day, no matter the type of costume it all effectively says 'no he was never finalized to appear'. Even if it's just the SM4SH one. Again we dont know if he'll show up and this is a bit harsh but if Geno is costumed in literally any capacity its a deconfirmer. The optimism here is really good and all, but if that means sugarcoating for rules (which unlike literally every other fan rule actually makes sense) then it does certainly falter a bit

protoblues

Smash Cadet
Oh, our thread is back!

Guys our team is 30 points down in the final quarter. That's no reason to walk away. Let's stick it out, watch the livestream Thursday and see what happens.

If we do lose - and that's looking pretty dang likely - let us be good losers. A lot of eyes will be on our weird and niche fandom if there's a Geno costume Thursday. Chin up and smile for the post-game interviews. Win or lose, it's been a fun ride. We were able to celebrate something from our childhood together and share it with a whole lot of people who'd probably never hear about Geno otherwise. And who knows, maybe Fighters Pass 3 is right around the corner?

geno mallow umbrella.jpg

Cheers friends. Sending my best vibes in these tough times.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Cutting off from speculation but still related to Geno; just thought that, Geno (the doll) is vulnerable since he has physical form but, I do wonder. Would his true form (the star) be vulnerable to any harm whatsoever or... could he actually be... OP? 👀

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Here's some things to consider:

Yes this conversation states Geno was not to be taken seriously, but if this was the only talk of Geno that Fatman had heard he would not have included Geno as being likely. Obviously there are many other sources and conversations that feed into the whole picture. I trust Fatman's discretion and while his guesses have been off they've also gotten a lot of details right. So I don't think that this alone is damning to Geno. I personally still expect a hard disconfirmation on Thursday but I don't think this tidbit is what would lead to that Sephiroth being prioritized for obvious reasons would be the impetus here.

As is being pointed out, FF alone has plenty to choose from in terms of Mii costumes and this is not even including other series like Gex, Crono, Bravely Default, etc. This could be Geno's saving grace and is related to my next point.

It is starting to dawn on me that more DLC is a distinct possibility. This could take the form of bonus characters during or post pass 2 or a smaller third pass. There are still so many names floating around that haven't come to fruition combined with the sheer amount of characters for Nintendo to choose from to surprise us with it really could be that they plan to continue Ultimate's life cycle. Rumors of a new Nintendo system or upgraded Switch could strengthen this possibility further for a reason to extend Ultimate's life cycle as a port. I truly believed that a 3 year DLC cycle was all we would get but now that we're 2/3 of the way through that I don't see much reason for them to want to stop pushing to honor Iwata's wishes with the Ultimate Smash game. I'm not trying to use this as evidence that Geno would survive Thursday and be a part of this because I truly don't believe he will survive Thursday but it's still possible and the likelihood of more dlc actually just seems more likely to me now for the aforementioned reasons.

I still wonder what the rest of this pass holds. Are we in for another Nintendo character? Will there be more big name characters or more niche characters? Is Hayabusa due next now that other names heard years ago are actually getting in now? Halfway through and I'm really not sure what to expect. I really don't know what to expect except that I think we should be prepared for many more surprises and some more disappointments.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno returns at all, isn't that a deconfirmer? At the end of the day, no matter the type of costume it all effectively says 'no he was never finalized to appear'. Even if it's just the SM4SH one. Again we dont know if he'll show up and this is a bit harsh but if Geno is costumed in literally any capacity its a deconfirmer. The optimism here is really good and all, but if that means sugarcoating for rules (which unlike literally every other fan rule actually makes sense) then it does certainly falter a bit
The only reason I'm entertaining this is because A LOT of people would have had to have been wrong about A LOT of things over two years if Geno is totally KO'd on Thursday. This isn't a "Fatman, take your lithium, you yutz" sort of thing, this is a "every single person that has insider connections that I have seriously talked to about this topic in the last 25 months was ultimately wrong" sort of thing. If Nintendo managed to fool insiders literally around the world on this one thing for two years, salt aside, that's pretty impressive.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
I've said what's making me lean to the fact this "Don't take Geno seriously!!!" as being anti-Geno bias.
If there was solid and real Crono rumors outside of this one thing, then yes I would probably take it more seriously, but there is none, the main 3 characters with real evidence were:
-Hero
-Sephiroth
-Geno
Things likely changed, and there has been no talk about Crono outside of these few times in 2018, and yet people are acting like it's 100% happening.
Geno's only real competition in my opinion was Sephiroth, and he's in, if Geno dodges this, Geno is probably in.

Crono along with Katalina and a few other random names are dead 2018 rumors, unlike the Steve, Sephiroth, Lloyd, Hayabusa, Geno, Waluigi, and Crash rumors, which all has been going more ground ever since then.

Nothing is pointing to Crono being a serious name, that's the ground I'm going to stand on and feel free to call my over-confident like people normally do.
wait Waluigi rumors have been gaining ground? Since you mentioned Hayabusa and Crash, I have a question for Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Nekoo Nekoo and Nazyrus Nazyrus . Have any of your sources said anything about these 2 in particular. To me, them and Geno seem the most likely to be in the pass, as most of the other rumors(Minus LLoyd) have happened or were deconfirmed.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's a weird situation, no doubt, because we're now getting this picture that there's a very strong possibility that Hero AND Sephiroth were greenlit around the same time in 2018. What's wild about this is that it presents a situation similar to Min Min/ARMS: turned down for (what?) base but decided for Season 2 around E3 2019. Given all the strange things that happened to Geno in July 2019, it definitely makes for a compelling story and unironically might give credence to the tinfoil hat theory I had ages ago that the sheer public outcry of the Grinch Leak might have actually worked in Geno's favor. I dunno but it's fun to consider that the biggest troll in Smash history might have done some good.
Imagine if in the Seph direct, Sakurai wore a Grinch sweater. (Just for Christmas, of course ;3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom