• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Speaking of, I'm curious what tonight will bring us...
I hope we get nothing tonight as I would like to play with Sephiroth on Thursday.

The fact people forgot this happened is very silly.
Geno should be taken as seriously as Banjo and Steve in terms of rumors.
Exactly. Waluigi should be taken seriously as well since so many insiders have heard his name over and over again since 2018.

Droodle

Smash Lord
But that’s the thing though. You don’t get to pay for these Mii costumes in the base roster. I don’t see any reason why to make a costume then make a playable character later on. I mean, would it make sense that Travis is a costume then later he’s a full fledged fighter? That’s why people would assume there are no plan for these characters.
Yeah, I agree with this. If Geno gets costumed then it's over for him UNLESS a Fighters Pass 3 gets announced, and even then he'd be playing second fiddle to the likes of Rex (assuming he hasn't been promoted). They aren't going to costume him and then say psyche, he's actually also a playable character (at least in the same pass).

Speaking of mii costumes, I think there is also the possibility we get very little FF (at least FFVII) ones; I think one of the reasons they got skipped over in Smash 4 is that they Square costs a lot for licensing them out. It's possible we just see the FFVII party as spirits, and the mii costumes board ends up being something else entirely.

One thing I will say in Geno's defense is that nobody has heard him as a costume. Cuphead, Sans, and Travis were all heard as costumes before their reveals. Throw in how I heard Bethesda was getting "something" last November and all the "premium" costumes are accounted for. As I've noted many times in this thread since 2018, Lloyd, Ryu, Waluigi, and Geno have been heard repeatedly but nobody knows exactly why. This is very different from the leaked Mii costumes. When the Undertale content was leaked to Paragon in Spring 2019, he was told "not Sans" which is why he predicted Frisk as playable. MCG 's costume list had Cuphead on it and one of his in-betweens flat out told me Travis wasn't playable last December. Some people have said to "not take Geno seriously" but this was back in 2018 and a similar thing was said about Banjo and later Steve. This is why I'm going to be watching Thursday very intently but also being calm and collected about it.
Didn't you say that you heard Ryu a ton; but also that he probably isn't a fighter? Regardless, I think it's just that Nintendo has gotten REALLY good at spreading around misinfo about Smash internally. I mean you heard Master Chief and Geno, but we got Steve and Sephiroth instead. It's possible that Lloyd and Ryu are just internal rumors, and that they cover up someone else. Regardless, I don't really think not hearing if someone is a mii costume makes them unlikely to be one. Especially since we have no idea how far in advance these costumes are made in the first place. For all we know Sephiroth's Mii wave could've started development in October.

There hasn't been a good Smash leak in ages, the last good one was by Nintendo themselves leaking SNK. The insiders that I do know, all say that it's gotten extremely difficult to get good info in terms of Smash; and that it's better to wait for information to come out of Nintendo themselves.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
You know, I just have to mention how thematically appropriate it is that Sephiroth is essentially Geno's final boss in speculation. The fact our little underdog puppet has to go against a villainous god as his last hurdle to (hopefully) achieve salvation makes for a really enticing narrative.

View attachment 295655
He's got a sword, Geno can OHKO him with Geno Whirl!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, I just have to mention how thematically appropriate it is that Sephiroth is essentially Geno's final boss in speculation. The fact our little underdog puppet has to go against a villainous god as his last hurdle to (hopefully) achieve salvation makes for a really enticing narrative.

View attachment 295655
I mean, if Geno can beat a dimensional traveling powerful warlord like Smithy than Sephiroth wouldn't be no problem to him.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
4 thoughts I want to get off my chest, and hoping anyone can answer them:

• If Geno is NOT revealed Thursday, is this necessarily a guarantee he's coming later on as a playable fighter?
  • With the indie direct happening today, does this indicate a full direct or even a partner showcase next week?
  • Mii Costume Guy I heard was called into question for being dubious as a leaker, but then Fatmanonice Fatmanonice referred to him in a previous post. So... what gives? What has he said that's believable and what isn't?
  • PracticalBrush said he didn't know the VGA reveal but that if it was something he suspected then it would confirm something else he had heard. Has anybody looked into this??

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Not to mention the whole "Because Cloud, you are...just a puppet." line from FF7.

Wouldn't it be great if SE's heart grew three sizes for the holiday season and they're playing the long game here?

Dukefire

Smash Master
To lay off the unsettling thoughts on Mii Costume Wave 8 for a bit, at least Among Us will be available later today for the switch.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I know things look bleak, but don't give up! Even if Geno gets costumed, this isn't his last chance like many are saying. Back in smash 4 I was a huge Ridley fan, and we all thought it was now or never. Not only did Ridley get added as a boss, likely meaning he couldn't even be dlc, but Sakurai straight up said he wouldn't work. To top it all off, I was diagnosed with an illness that was supposed to be terminal, so I wasn't even supposed to see smash 5 anyway. Ridley was deconfirmed seemingly for all time, and smash 5 wasn't going to happen in my lifetime even if Sakurai changed his mind. Yet here I am, alive and well, maining Ridley in smash 5. Don't assume that Geno will never be in, or that this was his last chance. Things change, and seemingly impossible characters end up making it. Never give up on bringing our star boy back!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm hoping that the Mii costumes dig into Final Fantasy's history, rather than just going with "Chocobo hat, Geno, Tifa, Barret, Aeris" like most people seem to be expecting. There are so many options from Final Fantasy alone - Black Mage (or Vivi from Final Fantasy 9), White Mage, Red Mage, Onion Knight, Cecil, Kain, Exdeath, Gilgamesh, Terra, Kefka, Squall, Zidane (most of the FF9 cast, really, given their more cartoony proportions), Tidus/Auron/Yuna, Lightning, Noctis... And that's not even getting into Square-Enix's other franchises like Chrono Trigger, Nier/Nier Automata, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default...

If it means that we don't get a Geno Mii costume, that's an added bonus, but I'm hoping we get a variety of Final Fantasy Mii costumes rather than focusing on FF7 exclusively.

• If Geno is NOT revealed Thursday, is this necessarily a guarantee he's coming later on as a playable fighter?
  • With the indie direct happening today, does this indicate a full direct or even a partner showcase next week?
  • Mii Costume Guy I heard was called into question for being dubious as a leaker, but then Fatmanonice Fatmanonice referred to him in a previous post. So... what gives? What has he said that's believable and what isn't?
  • PracticalBrush said he didn't know the VGA reveal but that if it was something he suspected then it would confirm something else he had heard. Has anybody looked into this??
It doesn't necessarily guarantee that Geno will be playable later on, but it would certainly seem suspicious, considering that we've only gotten Square-Enix Mii costumes with Square-Enix characters. (that could change, but it's held pretty steady for both Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate) At the very least, it would imply that there's another Square-Enix character later down the line (or that they just decided not to bring back the Geno Mii costume at all, which would be an odd move).

We can rule out a partner showcase, since the previous one was said to be the last one of 2020. I don't know anything about Mii Costume Guy or PracticalBrush, so I can't help with those questions.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Droodle Droodle The thing about Ryu that had me strongly doubt him until AoC's reveal was that he was the only Koei Tecmo thing heard AT ALL for Smash. Going as far back as last year, these are the companies that have had multiple things heard about them: Nintendo, Capcom, Namco, Square Enix, Microsoft, and Activision. That's another thing about Geno: not only has a good number of Square Enix things been heard but multiple SMRPG stuff. Multiple people have heard of the Mallow hat with the last person to claim to know about it being around September of this year. Like I've complained about forever, Ryu's weird and people have gotten in trouble for bringing him up but he's strangely the only thing from Koei Tecmo to ever come up in a serious capacity.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

View attachment 295655
The final boss of Geno from Super Mario RPG’s quest to get into Smash is the JRPG final boss to end all JRPG final bosses

You literally couldn’t write this **** better.

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, if Geno can beat a dimensional traveling powerful warlord like Smithy than Sephiroth wouldn't be no problem to him.
SMRPG 2: Masamune's Curse

Years have passed since Mario and his fellow heroes repelled the interdimensional invasion from the Weapons Realm. Smithy was defeated and balance returned to Star Road...until one day...a dark shadow fell over the land once again. A one-winged angel tears open a portal in Monstro Town, flooding the world with chaos on his mission to control wishes and bend reality to his will. Needed once again, Mario and his friends will band together to stop this new evil and save Mushroom Kingdom from the brink of oblivion...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sephiroth has always been on the "list" along with Sora, Slime, Crono, Luminary, Geno, and Erdrick. It's not even a leak, per say, it's a narrative that was told to Polar Panda's source via a DM that implies that it originally came from a real person in Square Enix, verified ala LinkedIn. Whether it actually came from said Square person is unknown.

TL;DR version: According to the narrative, Sora, Geno, and Sephiroth were the only three characters that were ever considered. Sora was turned down fast and early with despite some internal protest. Geno went in for serious negotiations but nobody knows the end result with the implication being that Sephiroth would be the SE character if Geno fell through.
This is from December 4th, 2018. We all dismissed this as bull**** back in the day but I do kind of wonder... Based on how things have unfolded, Dragon Quest was decided first and there was possibly a significant time gap afterwards. I remember we once had the theory if Hero would have been base or at least the first DLC character if DQ XI S didn't get delayed multiple times. Man, its been a wild ride, hasn't it?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is from December 4th, 2018. We all dismissed this as bull**** back in the day but I do kind of wonder... Based on how things have unfolded, Dragon Quest was decided first and there was possibly a significant time gap afterwards. I remember we once had the theory if Hero would have been base or at least the first DLC character if DQ XI S didn't get delayed multiple times. Man, its been a wild ride, hasn't it?
I don't like that last part where you said if Geno didn't fell through they would go with Sephiroth. Hopefully this isn't the end of the road for Geno in Ultimate.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If that rational is right, then well, gg Geno. Lol.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Droodle Droodle The thing about Ryu that had me strongly doubt him until AoC's reveal was that he was the only Koei Tecmo thing heard AT ALL for Smash. Going as far back as last year, these are the companies that have had multiple things heard about them: Nintendo, Capcom, Namco, Square Enix, Microsoft, and Activision. That's another thing about Geno: not only has a good number of Square Enix things been heard but multiple SMRPG stuff. Multiple people have heard of the Mallow hat with the last person to claim to know about it being around September of this year. Like I've complained about forever, Ryu's weird and people have gotten in trouble for bringing him up but he's strangely the only thing from Koei Tecmo to ever come up in a serious capacity.
But Cacomallow existing muddies the waters a bit. Maybe they only heard of the Mallow hat because of that video? OR because of Mii Costume Guy?

Ryu Hayabusa is still a major contender in my book, however. I've been thinking he'd make it since FP1 to be honest. Not as much smoke as Geno, but the dude hasn't left speculation yet.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So do you guys think we'll surpass 4000 pages before the next reveal? It's a stupid question to ask, but lately this thread hasn't been moving as fast as it use to.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

I can answer the first two.

1) I would say absolutely because there would be no waywe don’t get the costume back if Geno isnt playable. Sakurais said in smash 4 it was basically a consolation prize. So it be the same here.

2) partner showcase is probable. Actual direct of some kind probably not, they seem to be dying out.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If that rational is right, then well, gg Geno. Lol.
Well, our reasoning back then was that "well, there's NO WAY there could possibly be more than one Square Enix character" and two years later we not only have two but Square Enix double dipped for FF VII when all logic suggested they wouldn't.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Replying to your other post so soon, oh lordy...

I can definitely see a narrative where Square laid it out that they wanted to make more money off FF7 and were "owed" for letting Sakurai use Cloud "for free." Not sure how the DLC packs work, but it's likely that 3rd parties receive a substantial dividend of the sales due to licensing fees. Square saw the value in Cloud/Sephiroth and wanted that as their selection. I'm also confident that, in this narrative, Nintendo would have seen the value as well.

This doesn't mean Geno isn't possible too, just less likely. Banjo isn't moving XBOX consoles, for example. I think making a stipulation that "You can use Geno and SMRPG content, but we get Sephiroth" was how it went down, honestly. And then whether SMRPG ends up getting more content as DLC falls into Nintendo's lap at that point...

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
This actually makes a lot of sense....... It also lines up with my theory that a lot of the DLC had been in talks for a while. Byleth is rumored to have been originally part of base game, ARMs was known to have been considered for base game, Steve had been in negotiations for 5 years, Sephiroth was a failsafe if Geno did not make it, Piranha plant had been planned, probs was made a free dlc fighter cause he was a late decision. This also confirms Dragon Quest had been in talks for a while(and was the fastest one to get the greenlight to be added), and Vergeaben (who gets some things right, other things wrong) was adamant Dragon Quest was in.

Also, Slime was going to be a failsafe if DQ protags did not make it, so this seems likely to be true

Im wondering how long Joker, Banjo, Terry took...

Last edited:

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if you get the time, please check out my theory. i believe there is a chance that we might get a geno sans/cuphead style mii costume and a super mario rpg snes online reveal after the sephiroth’s fighter presentation. It was the only reason i could think of for why it is later than the presentations are usually in the time of day

another possibility would just be a standard geno mii costume without a face. I do not think this is very likely

What i am hoping for: The good timeline is that geno will not be a mii costume on this thursday. I believe if that happens he can still be in this fighters pass. he is a mario character and sephroth is a final fantasy character so i do believe that they can co exist in the same fighters pass as long as square enix is okay with it, we will have to see. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
This actually makes a lot of sense....... It also lines up with my theory that a lot of the DLC had been in talks for a while. Byleth is rumored to have been originally part of base game, ARMs was known to have been considered for base game, Steve had been in negotiations for 5 years, Sephiroth was a failsafe if Geno did not make it, Piranha plant had been planned, probs was made a free dlc fighter cause he was a late decision. This also confirms Dragon Quest had been in talks for a while(and was the fastest one to get the greenlight to be added), and Vergeaben (who gets some things right, other things wrong) was adamant Dragon Quest was in.

Also, Slime was going to be a failsafe if DQ protags did not make it, so this seems likely to be true

Im wondering how long Joker, Banjo, Terry took...
This... unfortunately makes a lot of sense. I still can't wrap my head around why Geno talks would fall through. Not that the did or could or the grander ideas that he's not as marketable. But like... why? Are they that detached from the fans? Sephiroth and Geno could happily coexist, it's not that hard. And it's not like Geno wouldn't bring awareness to either the Square or Nintendo brands. I could see Nintendo being stingy and saying "Mr. Sakurai, we only have room for X and your pet character isn't pleasing investors" and Square being stingy and saying "Mr. Sakurai, we are owed screen time and payment for the FF7 brand". I guess that's the only reason it would have happened, if that's how it went down. What a shame...

If he's revealed as a costume on Thursday, he 100% has to be a lock for the next game or a future Fighter's Pass 3

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This... unfortunately makes a lot of sense. I still can't wrap my head around why Geno talks would fall through. Not that the did or could or the grander ideas that he's not as marketable. But like... why? Are they that detached from the fans? Sephiroth and Geno could happily coexist, it's not that hard. And it's not like Geno wouldn't bring awareness to either the Square or Nintendo brands. I could see Nintendo being stingy and saying "Mr. Sakurai, we only have room for X and your pet character isn't pleasing investors" and Square being stingy and saying "Mr. Sakurai, we are owed screen time and payment for the FF7 brand". I guess that's the only reason it would have happened, if that's how it went down. What a shame...

If he's revealed as a costume on Thursday, he 100% has to be a lock for the next game or a future Fighter's Pass 3
I'm not sure if that's how it went down. But if that was how it really went down all I would say is "** Square-Enix!" Or " Nintendo!" for making such a poor * decision.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if you get the time, please check out my theory. i believe there is a chance that we might get a geno sans/cuphead style mii costume and a super mario rpg snes online reveal after the sephiroth’s fighter presentation. It was the only reason i could think of for why it is later than the presentations are usually in the time of day

another possibility would just be a standard geno mii costume without a face. I do not think this is very likely

What i am hoping for: The good timeline is that geno will not be a mii costume on this thursday. I believe if that happens he can still be in this fighters pass. he is a mario character and sephroth is a final fantasy character so i do believe that they can co exist in the same fighters pass as long as square enix is okay with it, we will have to see. I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Like I said earlier, I doubt a "deluxe costume." All the deluxe costumes were technically heard in advance and Megalovania actually leaked before Sans. I feel like Geno was being converted into a "deluxe costume", somebody would have heard this at some point. Actually, come to think of it... Give me a sec...

(3 minutes later)

Okay, I dug up a post I made in March this year:

Well, if you put it that way:

Kris, Knight, Microsoft costume, Indie costume, Cuphead, Square Enix costume, Secret But Fun costume, Ms. Pac-Man, Gooigi, Elecman, Arle, and Nightmare - supported by Mii Costume Guy or from Mii Costume Guy

KOS-MOS, Ryu, Travis, Reimu, Tracer, Sephiroth, Sol Badguy, Heihachi, Lloyd, and Steve?- from other people

Does this help?
"Square Enix" is 2B, "Indie costume" is Cadence of Hyrule, "Microsoft costume" is Johanna Dark and "Secret But Fun costume" is one I don't want to spoil but they did have a new game revealed over the summer.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet

I feel like this is a Square butting in and saying no, because Sakurai has discussed Geno on multiple occasions saying he would be cool or saying that he sees the demand for Geno.

And yeah my theory sadly is turning out to be true, I started thinking about this when Byleth was revealed, Min Min and Steve only fueled it more. Fatmans comment makes it more likely to be true than ever.

I'm not sure if that's how it went down. But if that was how it really went down all I would say is "** Square-Enix!" Or " Nintendo!" for making such a poor * decision.
Same

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Like I said earlier, I doubt a "deluxe costume." All the deluxe costumes were technically heard in advance and Megalovania actually leaked before Sans. I feel like Geno was being converted into a "deluxe costume", somebody would have heard this at some point. Actually, come to think of it... Give me a sec...

(3 minutes later)

"Square Enix" is 2B, "Indie costume" is Cadence of Hyrule, "Microsoft costume" is Johanna Dark and "Secret But Fun costume" is one I don't want to spoil but they did have a new game revealed over the summer.
WAIT HOLY **** THIS IS ACTUALLY REALLY COOL

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wait, why’s this thread gone from holding hope that Geno avoids the mii costume and makes it in to believing negotiations fell through for him and that he’s gonna end up a mii costume and not make it in as playable all of a sudden.
Because Fatman heard from Sabi that heard from their NOA source that heard from the 7 Square-Enix characters list leaker that if Geno fell through they were going to go with Sephiroth. That was 2 years ago when they heard this

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

(3 minutes later)

I remember this list and it has some conflicting thoughts. On the one hand, we did have Steve, the "Microsoft" rep release without another Microsoft rep ... which Johanna Dark would have filled. However, that would have "spoiled" the "surprise reveal" Of the new Dark series ... so that could be released at any time now since the game reveal has happened and we've had costumes from different companies come along with non-related fighter reveals.

Now with Seph coming out, if the list is true, 2B could come as a mii costume. But, that can also mean the Geno costume comes back ... it depends if the Seph. mii costume bundle is focused on just FF stuff or will have a mix. Because, at the same time, even if the 2B costume doesn't come with Seph, it could come back later if, once again, the bundle is just FF focus.

But we are basing this off of the Hero presentation with Dragon Quest "only" stuff, but it may not be "fair" to compare 1:1 since there are different companies involved either which side.

Hmmm.

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Because Fatman heard from Sabi that heard from their NOA source that heard from the 7 Square-Enix characters list leaker that if Geno fell through they were going to go with Sephiroth. That was 2 years ago when they heard this
Wait that was from Sabi? The Sabi who deleted their twitter account due to harassment stuff and lots of controversial stuff? That Sabi? the one who got emails from Nintendo twice to stop leaking? That Sabi? If it came from that Sabi, then I believe it.

MattX20

Smash Hero

(3 minutes later)

That 2B costume from that list is definitely worth keeping an eye open for this presentation. It could help determine some of the potential remaining Mii Costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom