• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
While I'll very much acknowledge the not-so-small chance of Geno finally biting the dust this Thursday, I can't help but think back to the Hero presentation and how Geno wasn't present during that Mii Fighter Costume wave... and how a bunch of people basically argued "Well, they left the costume out because they wanted to focus completely on Dragon Quest!"

I thought that was a dumb reason to leave the costume out back then, and I still think it's a dumb reason now... but maybe it could be our salvation here? If Square Enix and/or Nintendo (or whoever is in charge of the Mii Fighter costumes) thinks that a costume based off of Geno (a character who is popular, but not "completely destroy Twitter" popular like Steve... and I must stress that this is specifically a costume we're talking about, not the character himself) is notable enough to steal the spotlight from one of the most popular game series in Japan, maybe they'll think the same thing with Final Fantasy VII and Sephiroth's Mii Fighter costume wave?

Dan

Smash Lord
Now that I think about, since Smash is so obsessed with trying to be unpredictable, wouldn't they avoid the Geno Deluxe with Sephiroth? They know we're all expecting it.

It's really fun to think about other Deluxe candidates because outside of Geno I'm not sure. I wish they would do more of these cause it makes such a difference... I feel like no one truly likes the regular costumes. Like look at how much difference just the face makes:

Shovel Knight would be great; some people told me it wouldn't make sense for him to use his shovel as a sword, but who cares. It's worth it.

Isaac and Dixie would be cool but I'm not sure they'd fit the body type? I wonder how much leeway they have with it. Geno fits the body type perfectly. I'm sure there's a ton of Pokémon that could work like Hitmonchan as a Brawler, but it's pretty evident it's reserved for non-Nintendo characters (I hope that changes). Even Gex could maybe work, and that would be awesome.

I'm actually kinda nervous because Smashboards ran a staff pick on who they want and I hardly recognize any of those characters outside of Geno.

I wish they just did a bunch of Deluxe costumes and the Mii was one class that could use every move.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Next roadstop is tomorrow night. If there's no Smash event, Sephiroth will likely be available after his presentation because this is what happened with Banjo and Terry. If there's a spirit event or tournament, Sephiroth is releasing later this month, which makes the timing of Thursday's presentation even more suspicious.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
A question - if Geno's costume does come back in a few days which we're assuming means he's not going to be a part of Pass 2, then would a potential Pass 3 being greenlit even do anything for his chances?
Really depends on how its handled. If it is like SansHead or comes with music or such then im doubtful. If not then perhaps but i really wouldn't hold my breath either way

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
A question - if Geno's costume does come back in a few days which we're assuming means he's not going to be a part of Pass 2, then would a potential Pass 3 being greenlit even do anything for his chances?
I feel like Pass 3 is a non-issue for Geno at this point in time: doesn't really benefit him from existing, nor does it hinder his chances if it doesn't.
If there's one thing I learned with speculation is that if they want a character to get in, they'll go for it. I think this phrase sums up very well my thoughts relating to people who think double dip is impossible:
"Smash DLC is not like the schoolyard where you must give the ball for the other kids to have a time to play, this is a business."

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about, since Smash is so obsessed with trying to be unpredictable, wouldn't they avoid the Geno Deluxe with Sephiroth? They know we're all expecting it.

It's really fun to think about other Deluxe candidates because outside of Geno I'm not sure. I wish they would do more of these cause it makes such a difference... I feel like no one truly likes the regular costumes. Like look at how much difference just the face makes:

Shovel Knight would be great; some people told me it wouldn't make sense for him to use his shovel as a sword, but who cares. It's worth it.

Isaac and Dixie would be cool but I'm not sure they'd fit the body type? I wonder how much leeway they have with it. Geno fits the body type perfectly. I'm sure there's a ton of Pokémon that could work like Hitmonchan as a Brawler, but it's pretty evident it's reserved for non-Nintendo characters (I hope that changes). Even Gex could maybe work, and that would be awesome.

I'm actually kinda nervous because Smashboards ran a staff pick on who they want and I hardly recognize any of those characters outside of Geno.

I wish they just did a bunch of Deluxe costumes and the Mii was one class that could use every move.
I will forever be salty with how the Tails and Knuckles costumes turned out. They could've been great deluxe mii costumes.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I feel like Pass 3 is a non-issue for Geno at this point in time: doesn't really benefit him from existing, nor does it hinder his chances if it doesn't.
If there's one thing I learned with speculation is that if they want a character to get in, they'll go for it. I think this phrase sums up very well my thoughts relating to people who think double dip is impossible:
"Smash DLC is not like the schoolyard where you must give the ball for the other kids to have a time to play, this is a business."
My take on the situation was less that only one Square-Enix character could be in Pass 2, but rather that they - or at least it appears that they - have consistently chosen other characters over Geno. And that perhaps now that they've gotten some of those other characters they wanted out of the way, the 'extra slots' provided by a Pass 3 could maybe convince them to just go ahead and put Geno in there, in a "We might as well" sort of way.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Next roadstop is tomorrow night. If there's no Smash event, Sephiroth will likely be available after his presentation because this is what happened with Banjo and Terry. If there's a spirit event or tournament, Sephiroth is releasing later this month, which makes the timing of Thursday's presentation even more suspicious.
I hope there is an event announced.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Still no sign of Mario RPG....

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
If Geno does survive Thursday I need someone to make me up a meme from the open window maniac episode of SpongeBob with Sephiroth silhouette in the lamplight and Patrick with a Geno hat saying into his walkie talkie: "He's just standing there...MENACINGLY!"

MattX20

Smash Hero

Glad to see DKC3 finally added. That game's an often overlooked gem

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like Sephiroth could be a big shift in overhauling content that is currently in the game and characters going forwards could bring stuff like that with them.

Alternatively, it could be the announcement of more DLC. Whether that be more characters or even something like paid costumes for the non-Miis.
Maybe so. In Sephiroth’s trailer, Advent Children Cloud got his Final Smash. I never thought we get to see much more FF content especially what happened in Smash 4 and Ultimate base roster. Was this done on purpose? How come there was so little content at first? Maybe Nintendo was willing to pay more or Square was even better terms with Nintendo compared to 2015?

Thursday can’t come soon enough. Let the band aid rip off if we’re going to see Geno still in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Maybe so. In Sephiroth’s trailer, Advent Children Cloud got his Final Smash. I never thought we get to see much more FF content especially what happened in Smash 4 and Ultimate base roster. Was this done on purpose? How come there was so little content at first? Maybe Nintendo was willing to pay more or Square was even better terms with Nintendo compared to 2015?
I bet you it had to do with the timing Cloud was negotiated in. SE was probably really hesitant to have Cloud in a game on a platform as small as the Wii U. And since we know Cloud's struggle to get into Ultimate and the fear of the console flopping, that probably explains the lack of FF stuff in base Ultimate. Plus, I imagine the team making base game was hyper resource-constrained anyway, so Cloud was probably super low priority until Sephiroth came out.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Thought I'd do some Mii costume predictions. Some things to note is that Square Enix Mii Waves aren't usually big. Cloud came with only 2 Miis and Hero got 4. For Sephitoth's Wave, I'm also thinking we may see another small wave of costumes. Probably 4 again

Being a bit pessimistic, I think it could realistically look something like:
-Barrett (or some other FF7 Party Member)
-Chocobo
-Geno
-Mallow
Apparently, licenses to FF7 stuff are pretty expensive, so I'm not expecting a lot of FF7 characters. In that case, I could see them doing Geno and Mallow Miis since they already have the rights to use them and would be easier

However, I do think there's a decent shot of Geno surviving Thursday. And they very well may go all in of FF7 content this time (especially since Spirits are involved). If that's the case, I'm hoping we get something like:
-Barrett
-Tifa
-Aerith
-Chocobo
Here's hoping it's the latter and we survive Thursday

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Alrighty then! Time to bring up Ultimate's Mii Fighter Costume Waves that have released so far.

Wave 1 (CP 1 - Joker // Persona 5)
  • Morgana = Hat (Persona 5) --- ATLUS
  • Teddie = Hat (Persona 4) --- ATLUS
  • Persona 4 Protagonist (dunno why they couldn't specify his name; Yu Narukami) = Mii Swordfighter --- ATLUS
  • Persona 3 Protagonist = Mii Swordfighter --- ATLUS
  • Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog) = Mii Gunner --- SEGA
  • Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog) = Mii Brawler --- SEGA
Wave 2 (CP 2 - Hero // Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition)
  • Slime (Dragon Quest) = Hat --- Square Enix
  • Veronica (Dragon Quest XI) = Mii Swordfighter --- Square Enix
  • Erdrick (Dragon Quest I) = Mii Swordfighter --- Square Enix
  • Martial Artist (Dragon Quest) = Mii Brawler --- Square Enix
Wave 3 (CP 3 - Banjo & Kazooie // Banjo-Kazooie)
  • Goemon (Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon) = Mii Swordfighter --- Konami
  • Proto Man (Mega Man) = Mii Gunner --- Capcom
  • Zero (Mega Man X) = Mii Swordfighter --- Capcom
  • Team Rocket (Pokémon) = Mii Brawler --- The Pokémon Company/Nintendo
  • Sans (Undertale) = Mii Gunner :starman: --- Toby Fox
Wave 4 (CP 4 - Terry Bogard // Fatal Fury)
  • Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown) = Mii Swordfighter --- SNK
  • Ryo Sakazaki (Art of Fighting) = Mii Brawler --- SNK
  • Iori Yagami (King of Fighters) = Mii Brawler --- SNK
  • Akira (Virtua Fighter) = Mii Brawler --- SEGA
  • Jacky (Virtua Fighter) = Mii Brawler --- SEGA
Wave 5 (CP 5 - Byleth // Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
  • Altair (Assassin's Creed) = Mii Swordfighter --- Ubisoft
  • Rabbids (Rabbids) = Hat --- Ubisoft
  • X (Mega Man X) = Mii Gunner --- Capcom
  • MegaMan.EXE (Mega Man Battle Network) = Mii Gunner --- Capcom
  • Cuphead (Cuphead) = Mii Gunner :starman: --- Studio MDHR/Microsoft
Wave 6 (CP - 6 Min Min // ARMS)
  • Ninjara (ARMS) = Mii Brawler --- Nintendo
  • Heihachi (Tekken) = Mii Brawler --- Bandai Namco
  • Marie (Splatoon) = Mii Gunner --- Nintendo
  • Callie (Splatoon) = Mii Brawler --- Nintendo
  • Vault Boy (Fallout) = Mii Gunner :starman: --- Bethesda
Wave 7 (CP - 7 Steve/Alex // Minecraft)
  • Creeper (Minecraft) = Mii Brawler --- Mojang/Microsoft
  • Pig (Minecraft) = Mii Brawler --- Mojang/Microsoft
  • Diamond Armor (Minecraft) = Mii Swordfighter --- Mojang/Microsoft
  • Gil (Tower of Druaga) = Mii Swordfighter --- Bandai Namco
  • Travis (No More Heroes) = Mii Swordfighter --- Grasshopper Manufacture
  • Bomberman (Bomberman) = Mii Brawler :starman: --- Konami
Having the Mii Costume Waves that have been released for Ultimate so far listed, as we approach Thursday's Challenger Pack 8's presentation, here are some observations to note from each wave.
  • The Mii Costumes releasing alongside a Challenger Pack will mostly be for Mii Fighters that share similar playstyles or archtypes to the DLC character; i.e. Hero = Mii Swordfighter, Terry = Mii Brawler.
  • For most third party Challenger Packs, their associated Mii Costume Wave will be mostly of costumes representing the same franchise (such as Dragon Quest, and Persona).
  • The Nintendo Challenger Packs (Byleth and Min Min) have had Mii Costume Waves containing Mii Costumes from various franchises. Byleth's didn't even have a Fire Emblem Mii Costume, and all costumes were from third party IPs.
  • Banjo & Kazooie's Challenger Pack came along with an associated Mii Costume Wave of which the costumes do seem like the oddest of the bunch. Goemon from the long-running Ganbare Goemon series (Mystical Ninja in the west), Proto Man and Zero, the two badass BFFs from Mega Man and Mega Man X respectively, Team Rocket grunts from Pokémon, and FREAKIN' SANS from Undertale, a game almost entirely developed by one Toby Fox. The Challenger Pack AND the Mii Costume Wave literally scream fan-favorite-themed pack. Within Fighters Pass Vol. 2, a similar Challenger Pack and associated Mii Costume Wave is still to be seen. Considering CP 3's placement, said pack could be this upcoming CP 8, or CP 9. Then again, I might be biased.
  • So far the "premium" Mii Costumes have all been of new characters in Smash (first appearing in Ultimate), with Bomberman's being an Assist Trophy "upgrade". This bit is very important and, I believe Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has pointed this out before. "Why enhance Geno's Mii Costume from Smash 4? Ah, well then, I guess we'll be seeing the same costume this upcoming Thursday then." No, not quite. Refer again to the second Mii Costume Wave. All costumes are Dragon Quest themed. "Ah yes, but that is only one example. That does not suffice for the sake of precedence." Maybe so, but the likelihood that CP 8's accompanying Mii Costume Wave will be strictly Final Fantasy themed, imo, is very high. When even considering the possibility, just including the old Geno Mii Costume along with the Chocobo Hat (which is Final Fantasy themed) and other new Final Fantasy themed costumes feels... weird and off. Think about it; each Mii Costume is sold individually. Final Fantasy fans are certainly numerous but, Super Mario RPG/Geno fans...?
On a completely unrelated note... DKC 3 on the NSO SNES Library just announced along with other titles. 👀

EDIT: Ninja'd

Last edited:

The DoE

Smash Rookie

Do you think that this might be a signal that Geno's Costume won't show up in Sephiroth's presentation? His suit would be a tacit promotion to SMRPG, and Nintendo might save that game to announce it in the same month as a hypothetical Geno Mii Costume.

Either that or they're just saving it for SMRPG's 25th Anniversary.

QQS

Smash Lord
GENO for DLC # 9 - Fighter #79 - Legend of the Nine Stars - SMRPG to the NSO - New sequel or remake.

Revealed at the end of February for the SMRPG 25°.

If the costume survives this Mii; GENO is playable for me. Which is indeed happening, Geno as a full fighter, don’t lose hope!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So has anyone seen this fanart of Fighter's Pass 2?

I know Blocked Content is covering this and 98% of the stuff he covers is fake 4chan leaks that ain't worth paying 2 cents two. But the artist uploaded that art in October 1st before Steve and Sephiroth were revealed. It would be scary if Crash, Dante, BOTW Zelda, and 2B all get in and this whole thing is like a prophecy.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I dont really think this is going to be the FF blowout that everyone thinks it would be. The lack of spirits and music etc were explained through licensing messes but what shouldnt go under the radar is how FF was literally the only third party series to not get an AT. Unless theres some stuff going on with the designs for, presumably the party members and such, it certainly is weird. While we obviously are getting more stuff, and hope that they try and fix the counless shortcomings that one of the most iconic series present on the roster underwent, IDK if we can say Sephi is going to fix that.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
So has anyone seen this fanart of Fighter's Pass 2?

I know Blocked Content is covering this and 98% of the stuff he covers is fake 4chan leaks that ain't worth paying 2 cents two. But the artist uploaded that art in October 1st before Steve and Sephiroth were revealed. It would be scary if Crash, Dante, BOTW Zelda, and 2B all get in and this whole thing is like a prophecy.
It was made on October 1st, this year, by a 2B Fan-Account, they drew it because those were their predictions.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but I was just saying it would be scary if the rest of their predictions come true since they guess Steve and Sephiroth before they were announced.
It was on October 1st, after Steve was announced.
And 2B is drawn on there because they support the character, though honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if Crash and Dante are in this pass, not expecting it but I'm hopeful.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice

I feel like they only want to use simple, easy-to-make characters as premium mii costumes. Somebody like Isaac would probably not look good as a mii costume because he'd take too much work to make look good. All the premium mii costumes so far have been very simple looking and don't require much facial detail/animation. And they also all have bigass heads

Reactions: Dan

Firox

Smash Master
Seriously though, we do need a Boss Rush mode at some point. I shouldn't have to play Classic mode with Link every time I want to fight Beast Ganon or play with the Belmonts to get Dracula. They could model it a little like Sm4sh All stars with the occasional reprieve to use a healing item. The higher the difficulty, the less healing you get. Bosses should include:

-The obvious six from World of Light: Rathalos, Galleom, Dracula, Beast Ganon, Marx, Giga Bowser
-Master Hand and Crazy Hand
-Galeem and Dharkon
-Uber Amiibo Sephiroth at the Life Stream with One Winged Angel playing
-Giant Ridley
-Freshly ported from Brawl....Tabuu

C'mon, Nintendo. I'd even throw in a little cheddah cheese for your trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom