• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Looking back it's kind of weird Ultimate doesn't have a boss rush mode, I mean with Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser, Ganon, Galleom, Marx, Rathalos, Dracula, Galeem, and Dharkon, they have the same amount of bosses in Brawl. And that's not considering the prospect of them including more bosses. Throw in Tabuu at the end, or even make Kirby-style stronger EX forms for the bosses on higher difficulties. Go wild with it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Looking back it's kind of weird Ultimate doesn't have a boss rush mode, I mean with Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser, Ganon, Galleom, Marx, Rathalos, Dracula, Galeem, and Dharkon, they have the same amount of bosses in Brawl. And that's not considering the prospect of them including more bosses. Throw in Tabuu at the end, or even make Kirby-style stronger EX forms for the bosses on higher difficulties. Go wild with it.
Basically, they could just bring Tabuu, Porky, Rayqua, and Petey Piranha's boss fights back from Brawl along with Boss Rush Mode and call it a day.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Obviously the fighters I want to come are my priority for Ultimate, but a Boss Rush mode is a close second. I'm glad I keep seeing Sephiroth suggested as a boss - I think having a normal fighter-sized boss would be a good change of pace.
I don't like the idea of a boss also being a playable character. It would be like if they made M. Bison playable in Street Fighter

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Obviously the fighters I want to come are my priority for Ultimate, but a Boss Rush mode is a close second. I'm glad I keep seeing Sephiroth suggested as a boss - I think having a normal fighter-sized boss would be a good change of pace.
Sorry, but Sephiroth's sword is just too big for smash, and with that realization in mind, he will be made in to a mii costume instead, making way for Geno to come sooner.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As cool as Boss Rush Mode would be, what we really need is Break the Targets back and I don't mean Smash 4/Angry Birds Break the Targets I mean classic 64/Melee/Brawl Break the Targets.
No thanks to Brawl. Those were awfully boring. And super tedious. Melee/64 were actually fun and made you understand the character better. I'll take Angry Birds version too since you had to understand your character's attacks very well to get the most out of it. Plus, it was actually worth replaying due to getting customs/trophies.

Going through literally the same exact thing for over 30 characters is not fun to me at all. That's why I liked Angry Birds, because it's not the "exact" same thing. They randomize where the targets and custom items are. That's massively important in making it better. Brawl's would've been best if it had actual variety, but Classic was frankly really bad. It was boring, long, tedious, and had almost zero variety. It was forgivable in Smash 64, but since then, there's no excuse for a lack of variety. Ultimate fixed that at least.

To put into perspective, even Smash Wii U's Classic had better variety than Brawl's overall, and it wasn't exactly a good Classic either. ...It'd also help if Brawl wasn't super difficult to get Trophies.

Last edited:

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
I always found it especially strange that a boss rush isn't its own gamemode considering that they literally put one in the WoL final battle. The only way I can think it to make sense is that the devs thought that the final boss may as well just substitute for the boss rush...... That gives me a thought. If there were new bosses added, they surely would have to add them to WoL, thus prompting an expansion of some sort. All of the bosses in Ultimate have some kind of role in WoL, after all.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
No thanks to Brawl. Those were awfully boring. And super tedious. Melee/64 were actually fun and made you understand the character better. I'll take Angry Birds version too since you had to understand your character's attacks very well to get the most out of it. Plus, it was actually worth replaying due to getting equipment/customs.

Going through literally the same exact thing for over 30 characters is not fun to me at all. That's why I liked Angry Birds, because it's not the "exact" same thing. They randomize where the targets and custom items are. That's massively important in making it better. Brawl's would've been best if it had actual variety, but Classic was frankly really bad. It was boring, long, tedious, and had almost zero variety. It was forgivable in Smash 64, but since then, there's no excuse for a lack of variety. Ultimate fixed that at least.
Yeah, as much as I'd love for them to bring back the classic break the targets from 64/melee, there's no way they'll do it for a game that's going to have 80+ fighters, and giving us the brawl version would be just... No. I refuse to go through Brawl's version of break the targets that many times. As a wise man once said, "If it's not fun, why bother?"

I'm with you in preferring the angry birds format. At least that one's a bit faster paced.

D

Deleted member

MAN WE’RE GETTING NEW NSO GAMES THIS MONTH AND NO SMRPG

AND WE ARE ALSO GETTING SEPHIROTH

AND THE MII COSTUMES THAT COME WITH HIM

SURE WOULD MAKE SENSE TO RELEASE GENO’S COSTUME AND SMRPG AT THE SAME TIME IF THEY BOTH WERE HAPPENING WOULDN’T IT?
Ehh... I wouldn’t put too much stock to it. Plus, they could very well show off Geno’s Mii costume and announce SMRPG soon after.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I always found it especially strange that a boss rush isn't its own gamemode considering that they literally put one in the WoL final battle. The only way I can think it to make sense is that the devs thought that the final boss may as well just substitute for the boss rush...... That gives me a thought. If there were new bosses added, they surely would have to add them to WoL, thus prompting an expansion of some sort. All of the bosses in Ultimate have some kind of role in WoL, after all.
Well, there was a Boss Rush Mode in Brawl outside of Subspace Emissary in the menus.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, as much as I'd love for them to bring back the classic break the targets from 64/melee, there's no way they'll do it for a game that's going to have 80+ fighters, and giving us the brawl version would be just... No. I refuse to go through Brawl's version of break the targets that many times. As a wise man once said, "If it's not fun, why bother?"

I'm with you in preferring the angry birds format. At least that one's a bit faster paced.
Honestly, they can easily add it to the Stage Creator too.

They could also make Break The Targets based upon the franchise, which wouldn't be so ridiculous. That's still difficult, of course.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, they can easily add it to the Stage Creator too.

They could also make Break The Targets based upon the franchise, which wouldn't be so ridiculous. That's still difficult, of course.
Fair. I wouldn't know how feasible it is myself, I just assumed that they probably wouldn't want to bother going all out in making them customizable. It'd be an awesome feature either way.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's even stranger. Maybe they didn't add a separate boss rush because they think they're not done with making bosses?
That or their trying to save space in the game. It's not a easy task to bring back all the veterans and almost all the stages in the series. Some sacrifices must be made to make the impossible a reality.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fair. I wouldn't know how feasible it is myself, I just assumed that they probably wouldn't want to bother going all out in making them customizable. It'd be an awesome feature either way.
Stage Creator option might be the easiest change, honestly. It wouldn't allow you to actually "finish" a level, but you could still use it to practice.

Returning Target Blast!! would also be easy. However, grinding for spirits clearly doesn't need help either, so it's mostly not that super great for an option. That said, it wouldn't be bad either. Cause while Classic is way better, I do wish we had a better credits. Constantly button mashing is tiring. Where's the auto-laser instead? You might miss a few, sure, but that would make it feel less tedious. Though I do like that Classic has actual stamps to show if you beat it with specific characters via single or doubles, so that's nice.

Man, who would I team Geno up with(outside of a Mallow hat), though. Bowser? Peach? Mario? So many choices~

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll be honest, I do think there's a Chance there's something more happening with the Boss Battles

The Fact that you aren't allowed to Refight Bosses using the Spirit Rematch Feature is kind of weird. To My Knowledge, you can also Fight WOL Exclsuive Spirits from that mode as well, so it's not because they want WOL Exclusive stuff to be exclusive to the mode

I Do think there may be some New Bosses Potentially, or at least a New Mode. Remember that technically have a Deadline that goes all the way to December of 2021. With the Pace they are releasing Characters, they might be able to Finish Months early, Possibly in the Fall or earlier

So they have that extra time. they could add Bosses. Sephiroth might be a Boss Himself that's Added in

The thing that I wonder though is how will they Add them in though, if there are new Bosses? Will they be Seperate Purchases you have to Make, Will they be Patched in for Free? What about Bosses tied to potential Fighter Packs?

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Stage Creator option might be the easiest change, honestly. It wouldn't allow you to actually "finish" a level, but you could still use it to practice.

Returning Target Blast!! would also be easy. However, grinding for spirits clearly doesn't need help either, so it's mostly not that super great for an option. That said, it wouldn't be bad either. Cause while Classic is way better, I do wish we had a better credits. Constantly button mashing is tiring. Where's the auto-laser instead? You might miss a few, sure, but that would make it feel less tedious. Though I do like that Classic has actual stamps to show if you beat it with specific characters via single or doubles, so that's nice.

Man, who would I team Geno up with(outside of a Mallow hat), though. Bowser? Peach? Mario? So many choices~
Okay, NOW I see what you mean, and I think that would be a great feature for stage builder. It'd solve both problems honestly. Basing it on franchises would also seem pretty feasible (relatively speaking at least).

Auto laser would be nice too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, NOW I see what you mean, and I think that would be a great feature for stage builder. It'd solve both problems honestly. Basing it on franchises would also seem pretty feasible (relatively speaking at least).

Auto laser would be nice too.
Auto-laser is one change that should happen as one of the buttons. There's nothing wrong with both.

That said, how many franchises we got now? Over 20? It'd still be tough. Maybe next game, since there's a chance for reduced stuff. Though I do find it interesting that only Melee kept the same kind of Target Test design. The rest actually changed up how it works. If they were to make a new one, I wonder what it could be like.

Though that said, if you need Board the Platforms, you can just play SMRPG. It has enough platforming areas that you'll pull your hair. :troll:

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
I have a new theory i’m interested in thinking what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice thinks of it

what if the reason why sephiroths presentation is later in the day is because they are also going to reveal a geno sans/cuphead style mii costume along with super mario rpg on snes online ? I am a bit worried cause i think it makes a lot of sense

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As a big Geno fan, there’s two things that have me thinking going into this.

1) I fully believe Sakurai won’t address Geno here.If he’s not a costume, that one of the biggest omissions and quite honestly would confirm Geno is going to be playable imo.
So why make people wait in that scenario? Just confirm if Geno is playable if he’s not a costume.

if he is a costume, then I sadly think it’s over.

2) there’s one other glaring thing we should consider. The DLC had all its files added at the same time. However, there’s 15 slots that were added.

First pass filled 5, this pass fills 6. That leaves 4 slots left. I’m about 80% confident these dots are getting filled but won’t be a pass. Instead it will be bonus slots based on what Sakurai’s team wants to do personally. Not what Nintendo suggests.

Which Geno fits perfectly with, Sakurai loves him, the fanbase loves him, he’s unique and brings a lot to the table while also celebrating Mario’s history for his big year.

So my prediction right now is if Geno isn’t a costume, we will see Sakurai announce that 4 more fighters are coming after the pass, and even though it’s A little far out he wants to show us one of them.

With my prediction being that Geno is the first one and Sakurai will explain that’s why he didn’t get a costume.

So I’m still holding some hope up but prepared for the worst if it happens.

D

Deleted member

As a big Geno fan, there’s two things that have me thinking going into this.

1) I fully believe Sakurai won’t address Geno here.If he’s not a costume, that one of the biggest omissions and quite honestly would confirm Geno is going to be playable imo.
So why make people wait in that scenario? Just confirm if Geno is playable if he’s not a costume.

if he is a costume, then I sadly think it’s over.

2) there’s one other glaring thing we should consider. The DLC had all its files added at the same time. However, there’s 15 slots that were added.

First pass filled 5, this pass fills 6. That leaves 4 slots left. I’m about 80% confident these dots are getting filled but won’t be a pass. Instead it will be bonus slots based on what Sakurai’s team wants to do personally. Not what Nintendo suggests.

Which Geno fits perfectly with, Sakurai loves him, the fanbase loves him, he’s unique and brings a lot to the table while also celebrating Mario’s history for his big year.

So my prediction right now is if Geno isn’t a costume, we will see Sakurai announce that 4 more fighters are coming after the pass, and even though it’s A little far out he wants to show us one of them.

With my prediction being that Geno is the first one and Sakurai will explain that’s why he didn’t get a costume.

So I’m still holding some hope up but prepared for the worst if it happens.
If we have to wait till 2022 for Geno to get revealed, it’s worth it. Btw, did all the DLC slots for Smash 4 get filled?

Last edited by a moderator:

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice
So I am going to stand my ground here. I have no reason to change my beliefs of Geno in SmUsh at this current time/ I have not heard of any plans changed on my side.

Which means: I could be right, I could be wrong. But nothing has come up that has convinced me otherwise at this point in time. So for now (and we will see Thursday) that I still believe Geno (at bare minimum) is in this game as a fighter. If I were you though, I would prepare for the worst and not hang onto hope from me. That means keep your hype in check after reading this.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
So I am going to stand my ground here. I have no reason to change my beliefs of Geno in SmUsh at this current time/ I have not heard of any plans changed on my side.

Which means: I could be right, I could be wrong. But nothing has come up that has convinced me otherwise at this point in time. So for now (and we will see Thursday) that I still believe Geno (at bare minimum) is in this game as a fighter. If I were you though, I would prepare for the worst and not hang onto hope from me. That means keep your hype in check after reading this.
Do you have some inside info or am I thinking of someone else? The name sounds familiar

EDIT: I accidentally skipped over a sentence that says you do

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember that they made a ton of slots as placeholders.

There's no requirement to fill that data. Sakurai's only statement right now is "this is the final DLC for this game". I'd go with that as most likely. Of course, it can change. Echo Pass, a few extras, etc. But I wouldn't count on it either. The Switch's lifespan and Ultimate's are already nearly over, so moving on also makes sense. Also, considering we've taken 1 year to get 3 characters out of 6, and it's not actually because of the pandemic(which didn't help either), it looks more like they plan to fully hit the deadline and end it there. Besides, Sephiroth might be the first character in this pass that didn't require an extra amount of time. He was shown in general much much faster than Steve or Min Min after the two. Who knows how mechanic-heavy the rest could be. Geno I doubt would be much outside of timed hits.

I want to note I don't compare to this to previous DLC situations because it's not the same. There were no passes outside of Smash Ultimate, and that was both less characters, only one with hefty mechanics(Hero), and the pandemic wasn't even a thing yet to deal with. Besides that, Smash Ultimate's various reveals were different from 4's. Overall, I'd say they're a different kettle of fish.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah, I feel as though if a FP 3 is going to happen; it probably wasn't always planned to occur regardless of the extra slots or not. Otherwise, what would be the logic of giving us 5 fighters, and then 6, leaving 4 out for bonus/pass 3. Why not just go for 5 fighters in both pass 1 and pass 2, leaving another 5 for pass 3 (or just standalone bonus fighters). I really do think this is it, and that is coming from someone that pretty much 100% believed a second pass was going to happen.

People may say that they'll skip out on a lot of money, but you have to remember that Nintendo usually doesn't keep on milking out DLC even for games with an active fanbase. Remember, even freaking Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hasn't gotten DLC despite being the best-selling switch game out there.

I'd love to be proven wrong, because in the end it's more fighters; but judging from the way that Sakurai talks about him and his team, it sounds like they're looking forward to taken a break from Smash after working on it nonstop since 4.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If we have to wait till 2022 for Geno to get revealed, it’s worth it. Btw, did all the DLC slots for Smash 4 get filled?
From what I recall no, but that’s because there were like 30 something slots in it. Although I could be confusing it with the world of light slots for their bosses and what not.

If Smash 4’s weren’t filled, that’s a good sign imo as it means ultimates are likely getting filled due to being more planned out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From what I recall no, but that’s because there were like 30 something slots in it. Although I could be confusing it with the world of light slots for their bosses and what not.

If Smash 4’s weren’t filled, that’s a good sign imo as it means ultimates are likely getting filled due to being more planned out.
All of Smash 4's slots were actually filled. But they were made barely in advance. Like a few at a time.

Ultimate eventually gave more slots, but that was after Pass 1 was underway. I think it was datamined with Joker? Since this is around a year after negotiations, this would suggest that around March 2019 or slightly earlier they started thinking on a Pass 2. Apparently it wasn't actually decided upon till E3 that year(Summer) that the pass was greenlit. So if it wasn't, we may have gotten a few bonus characters(possibly just the three we know) and that's it. If that at all. I doubt they intended to outright fill each slot much like Droodle said. Placeholders exist as "just in case".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom