• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
That's just stupid lol

Chrono Trigger is often ranked higher in the list of greatest games ever

Besides that, have the decency as a company to know that there are other games in this world than FF7

This is straight up stupid, this is just like if we got a 2nd MGS rep or a 2nd Megaman rep, except this time it's not just a recurring series but the SAME GAME
Tbf Dude Sephiroth is like one of the best choices ever he is an iconic final fantasy villain if not one of the mosy iconic villains in gaming he is insanely popular and people have been asking him ever since cloud it make sense

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Y’know, there is one thing that has me a little worried concerning Sephiroth’s upcoming Mii costume wave. It’s something so evil, so dasterdly, and something that might’ve been the first warning sign of the disaster soon to fall upon us Geno fans...
C2271A1E-E69D-46CD-A122-F48358DAE1A6.png

That's right, the devil himself: Chocobo. Specifically the Mii hat. Let me explain.
See I’m now of the opinion that the Chocobo Hat’s deliberate exclusion from Hero’s Mii costume wave was the first sign we were given that another Final Fantasy character was coming to the game. But here’s where things get a little more hopeful.
Hero’s Mii costume wave was entirely composed of brand new Dragon Quest themed Mii costumes. Now this could obviously just be a one time thing, but think about it: Why wouldn’t they do this again? Including Chocobo, there are more than enough Final Fantasy 7/Final Fantasy characters they could easily make costumes out of. Why would they not just make Mii costume wave composed entirely of Final Fantasy characters like they did with Chocobo?

I can see the 17th working in our favor, honestly. That’s mostly me hanging on to the last thread of hope we have, but I can’t get this thought out of my mind that it’s not over yet, not until the Sakurai sings. If we dodge this Mii costume bullet for the third wave in a row than something has to be up. This presentation makes it or breaks it everyone, let’s get this bread. Or star bread. I dunno some kind of bread that Geno would eat.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
You all noticed that several people very publicly pushed the idea of a duel reveal and I'm wondering where the hell that came from? Push Dustin brought it up along with two reputable people I talk to so it's weird to me that something that extreme was entertained by people that never entertain those sorts of things. Kind of like the Geno incidents during the summer, insiders have openly mentioned that they try to not mess with the Smash fanbase just because of how bad we can typically be so it just leaves a lot of questions.
AC4A3A0A-96EC-4412-9B11-FE1BB89D2A44.jpeg

6BBDFF15-2677-4DB0-A88D-866F7E809322.jpeg

6C0A1F44-7F94-4E4F-9890-945383DC916B.jpeg

Here’s all of what people are discussing. NoE YT video makes no mention of “no new fighters” anything unlike the description above
It’s unclear if “9th paid fighter” is counting Piranha Plant or not

hope this helps

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If you want to analyze patterns, in the last two CPs (regarding FP2) we have these mii costumes

1-3x from the playable fighter universe (Ninjara for Arms; Creeper, Pig and Diamond Knight for Minecraft)
1x returning Smash 4 costume (Heihachi in Min Min; Gil in Steve)
1-2x Assist Trophy promotions (Callie and Marie for Min Min, Bomberman for Steve)
1x “popular” request character (Vault Boy for Min Min; Travis for Steve).

So, lets assume this pattern manteins the same for the rest of CPs. We also have the “fan rule” that “Square-Enix content only releases with other Square content”

1-3x from playable fighter universe, a Smash x Final Fantasy VII collaboration, Tifa (brawler) and Barret (gunner) are good guesses. Maybe we will only get Tifa as she is very popular.
1x returning Smash 4, its easy to guess that we will get again Chocobo hat.
1-2x Assist Trophy promotions, we don’t get any S-E assist trophies in base game, so nothing here
1x “popular” request character, I believe in the seven square leak, so I think we will get a Chrono (swordfighter) costume.

What about Geno? He can possible be back with Chocobo as we will not get a new assist trophy promotion, so instead, we get 2 smash 4 returning miis, in resume, Sephiroth mii costume wave may consist of:

• Tifa (brawler)
  • Chocobo (hat)
  • Geno (gunner)
  • Chrono (swordfighter)

pinshadow

Smash Lord

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
You all noticed that several people very publicly pushed the idea of a duel reveal and I'm wondering where the hell that came from? Push Dustin brought it up along with two reputable people I talk to so it's weird to me that something that extreme was entertained by people that never entertain those sorts of things. Kind of like the Geno incidents during the summer, insiders have openly mentioned that they try to not mess with the Smash fanbase just because of how bad we can typically be so it just leaves a lot of questions.
I know from Push it came because at the time the site hadn't updated, so everyone thought "Wait maybe it's like when Hero was the opener and Banjo was the closer for E3 2019!"

Honestly, another reveal in a week makes no sense: We managed to get half of Fighter Pass 2 done and out the door done this year. If they reveal another character with Sephiroth's presentation that leaves only two reveals for 2021, and they're not going to do that.

This is how I see it shaking out:
Fighter 9 in late Feb or March
Fighter 10 for E3/summer season
Fighter 11 late October or November

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
The only bets I have regarding Mii Costumes are Tifa (brawler), Barret (gunner), Chocobo Hat, and Geno. I think we are only getting 4 costumes like Hero.
I'm pretty sure we're not getting a lot of Mii costumes from Square, and I'd be genuinely surprised if another protagonist from FFVII made it in as a costume (even if Tifa fits perfectly as a brawler, Barret as a gunner and Aerith as a swordfighter similar to Viridi, but c'moooooon it's always too good to be true with Square). Square is overall really ****ty with these things, so I think the Chocobo and Geno will be all we're getting from them, and the other Mii costumes will come from other companies/1st-party franchises. Maaaaaybe just maybe we'll get the Mallow hat as well, thus ending the Cacomallow leak's legacy?

It'd be lovely to have the FFVII gang, Terra, Sora, 2B, Lara Croft, whatever, but I know it's not gonna happen. They're only giving us Chocobo because it's their mascot and Geno probably as some kind of favor to Sakurai, the fanbase or both. At this point, I'm just hoping for more than two songs and at least a new remix.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well, slept on it, still not really ok with Sephiroth. However, I've been thinking and actually looking over what happened yesterday, there are actually some positives here. It might have been absolutely horrendous for Geno's chances of getting in the game, but it was actually the best day for general Smash Speculation, and arguably Nintendo speculation, in a long time. We've still got 6 days until our reckoning, so might as well act like everything is normal and theorycraft away.

• With Sephiroth officially our #8, I think we can pretty safely say that no, Min Min wasn't meant to be at E3, Steve and Sephiroth were our E3 picks. We got our East and West dichotomy like last year, both are certainly big enough. It's a good bit of information to know since it tells us 9 was our "late 2020" reveal originally. Hmm.
  • Despite the unending frustration this is likely to cause, it's atleast nice to know the missing Square costumes did mean something. We'll see next week but we can atleast safely say they saved Chocobo for Sephiroth. Disregarding Geno for a minute, it makes the three costumes that are still unaccounted for, Lloyd and the two Monster Hunters, way more suspicious.
  • Continuing the frustration station, the DLC Order pattern continues to persist. For those who forgot or are out of the loop, basically the idea is that DLC characters come out in whatever order they are negotiated for, and just based on the logic of who would take the longest to sort out, you'd get Nintendo characters first, then Third Parties from companies already in the game, then new companies, and near/at the end the promotional characters like Corrin/Byleth, who are developed alongside their games so they can't really come earlier. It went that way in Smash 4, in Pass 1, and now we've gone Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square, so while I was sure on it before regardless, I'd bet big money on 9 being Capcom or Namco, or at the very least another company already in the game.
  • Been thinking about this a bit, I thought Microsoft would put in Master Chief instead, but we got Steve. I thought Square would put in Geno instead of Sephiroth, but they didn't. I think Capcom would put in Dante instead of Monster Hunter...hmmm. So we've established 9 would have been late 2020, probably in a Fall Direct like Terry? What game/s got revealed in September again? The ones Nintendo made the headliner of their Partner Showcase and gave it's own specific direct afterwords? And still has two costumes missing? I am kinda getting Hero vibes from Monster Hunter and honestly I think they're more likely than Dante at this point.
  • Smash Amiibo release dates, March 26th, 2021. Old reliable is back again and it seems like we're waiting until March atleast for 9's release. Makes sense. So wait, now 9 is releasing in March, right around MH Rise? Uhhhhg.
  • Sephiroth is out... December? I underestimated the Smash Team I guess, seems like we are kinda back on track with only two months between releases. Obviously Amiibo theory points towards another large gap though. So, Fighter 9 early 2021, 10-11 at E3?
  • Talking about Nintendo in general, they had...nothing else except third party announcements. Makes sense. But we still don't even know what Bowser's Fury is. So, we've got a character release for March-ish, a game that needs a big overview for early February, a lack of first party announcements beyond that game, and the Anniversaries for both Pokemon and Zelda soon? Really wondering, is this a 2019 sitation where we get a normal direct in February, or a 2018 situation where we get a Mini in January and a real direct in March? Hmmmm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll make this clear: A lot of people are outcasts here. Depressed. Shunned.

And a lot of people don't understand this. Because they aren't outcasts.

This thread acts as a refuge, in a way. The Social thread is not welcoming because of the users there. Their toxicity is overlooked. You won't be called toxic, entitled, spoilt, or any other buzzwords Twitter and co throw at you. You won't be insulted for having an opinion, because people are better than that here.. usually.

A lot of people on this website don't understand that unfortunately, and continue to dogpile on us. The Geno thread is basically Newcomer Speculation 2.0 but without the ****stains that hang around there, stinking up the place. It's safe to talk about Geno here without fifteen pricks on your back saying you're a terrible person and literally Hitler for supporting him.

But then we're basically attacked in a place where we can feel safe. We have a place to call home without vultures swooping down and hating on us. But then this thread is consistently raided by people off this site. It's been mocked over and over both on-site and off-site. We've been shunned from every corner of the internet for liking a video game character. It's cool to hate on us.. but when we fight back? When we finally had enough? We get insulted.

How does that make you feel? Knowing people actively want you DEAD for liking a character. They unironically say that you should be doused in gas and lit on fire. They insult you over and over, point and laugh and mock at you. They treat you like garbage, for once again liking a character. Compare you to a crazed and deluded cultist. Not nice, is it?

But then their toxicity is validated. Because remember guys, it's cool to prey on the weak and vulnerable. It's fun to take a **** on the emotionally vulnerable.

Geno is less of a character and more of a cause to me, to the point that it becomes a personal attack on me. I like this character, and others want to **** on what he stands for, and what he personally means to me. Because he does mean a lot. They insult me once more, say my passion is wasted and that I shouldn't get myself invested in them.. but they do the exact same thing with their character. Again, so much hypocrisy here. Should never have supported Geno, I guess.

People are being treated like outcasts in their very own home. A place where they can retreat to. That's how I always treated this thread. It's the only place that didn't treat me like ****. So, thanks for that, guys. I appreciate it.

This is just from what has been said to me, and from what I've read online. Fatman must have had it so, so much worse than me. That's how I feel, at least.

Might be melo-dramatic sure, but everything I said was true.

Now I don't think Sakurai (or Nintendo) is malicious at all. I respect them. I just hate the fanbases that have treated us with as little respect as possible. They forgot that we were human, too. Geno was what we could look forward to, because a lot of us (like it or not) have nothing to look forward to.

People have treated me like a subhuman just for liking something they don't like and irrationally hate for no reason, why should I treat you any different?

That's how I personally feel on this thread. It's meant a lot to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
At least FF and Ff7 by itself have plenty of Mii costumes to work with which might just mean Geno’s will be a no show again. I think people are sleeping on Aerith and Zack swordfighter costumes. I could easily see those along with Tifa, Barret, and Chocobo hat and boom there’s 5 right there.

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
Seeing how Sakurai played miracle worker and got not one but four Dragon Quest heroes and Sephiroth from Square Enix, I no longer doubt Square Enix would be willing to play ball if Sakurai wanted Geno playable.
Dude for God's sake... it was NINTENDO AND SQUARE ENIX WHO GOT HERO AND SEPHIROTH, NOT SAKURAI.

The Fighters Pass vol 1 and especially vol 2 were chosen by Nintendo.

Unfortunately Sakurai had very little influence in the Fighters Pass.

And that's why even ****ing Waluigi is more likely than Geno at this point, as much as I hate this.

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea how the rest of you long-haul chads can justify continuing to hope for Geno because of how long we've been hoping and getting burned, it's the ****ing stress point for me. I'd be less disappointed if I'd just jumped on the Geno bandwagon, sure, but the new blood shouldn't be strung along like we've been. They can look back on the history of this fanbase and see all of the empty platitudes Sakurai has thrown our way and all of the coincidences that we've had to endure and they sure as hell can decide for themselves that they don't want to be cattle led to slaughter like we've been. I commend them for it. Pick a horse that'll win, new guys.

View attachment 295102

I know I said I was going to wait until 12/17 to do this but ** it, there is absolutely zero chance that Geno's costume doesn't come back with Sephiroth and if it doesn't, I stand by what I said that they're just sweeping him under the rug. Believe it or not, I do read almost all of the comments in this thread even when we accumulate several tens of pages in one night. I see the high and mighty, the self righteous, the bootlickers who come here and say that we should appreciate every ***ing table scrap thrown our way, that somehow we should be just fine with a costume, or better still a ****ing "deluxe" one, and to you, I say unkindly * right off and find a new hobby instead of trying to hold the moral high ground on the ****ing internet - I hear they're accepting at clown college and that'll probably fill your time.

To all the people who want me to examine what kind of "fan" I am, despite the fact that you don't deserve a response, I can't help myself from putting at least 100 hooks in my mouth at any given time, I am a ****ing bait addict. I'll tell you what kind of fan I am, I'm the kind of fan that at age 9 picked up Super Smash Bros knowing good and god damn well that it was a multiplayer party game that I would likely never be able to enjoy as intended because I am an only child who, at the time, had 1 friend who was a stereotypical early 90s baby whose parents would not allow near a video game. I just wanted to know what it was about, how a game could possibly let me play as Mario and Link and Pikachu all in the same world, and I fell in love with it. I was introduced to Metroid, F-Zero and Earthbound through this game and because of the latter, I can say that Smash Bros 64 effectively changed my life.

I'm the kind of fan who bought a Gamecube on launch day and played Luigi's Mansion until Melee came out and then Melee almost never left my console. I had acquired exactly 1 more friend in those two years and this one played video games, so he and I played the everloving **** out of Melee and I began to learn about tournaments and the competitive scene of Smash at this point and I learned that I was absolute garbage at Melee and so stepped my game up tremendously over the following years. I never went to a single tournament because I was still so young, but it's safe to say that for the second time in its history, Smash as a franchise changed my life.

I'm the kind of fan who was up bright and early every morning, checking the Brawl Dojo before school or in my morning programming class if I didn't manage to wake up early enough to do it at home. Every day, I rooted for Geno or Isaac or Lloyd to show up, and after Lucas, I hoped for his adversary, Masked Man. I rode the ups and downs of that release cycle like everyone else, had my mind blown by Sonic and had my expectations slashed by the generic "check out this character's down tilt" posts or "look at this cool new item" *. I was out here in the trenches when a true all star cast of characters was soiled by the oh so creative addition of R.O.B. and Toon Link. Beyond all of this, what kind of fan am I? I didn't take a hot steamy dump on everyone who wanted to play Brawl competitively. I gave it a fair shake and my first Smash tournaments were playing this beautiful trainwreck. I sat around and endured endless * from Melee players because I enjoyed the roster over the mechanics. Did I switch to Brawl+ when it became available? **** yeah I did, to hell with tripping... But I looked forward to the future of the franchise.

I'm the kind of fan who hinged his decision to purchase a whole ass Wii U because they said of course Smash Bros was coming to it. Like Brawl before it, I was there every night on the Smash Dojo looking out, once again, for Geno. I was happy to see returning characters, thrilled by the addition of Mega Man, confused by the waifubait inclusions of Lucina and Palutena, angered at the concept of Mii Fighters, excited by Greninja, Shulk and Robin and ****ing heartbroken by the cut of Wolf, Snake and Lucas. The DLC cycle for Smash 4 was truly an exciting time for me because for the first time in Smash's history, after the game had come out we could hold onto hope. They brought Lucas back despite being a trophy and Ness having all of his moves, truly anything was possible... But Nintendo wanted to turn heads more than they wanted to please fans after Mewtwo and Lucas. I'm sure Cloud did both for some, but not for me, and the Geno costume... I don't think I was too upset. It was, at that time, hope. Hope, once again, to look forward to the future of the franchise.

Finally, I am the kind of fan who, despite being burnt on the fact that Bayonetta was added to Smash 4 with zero semblance of care for balance, despite being burnt on the quality of some of the Wii U's late-life releases (Star Fox Zero hurts me in ways I didn't think I could be hurt by video games), and despite being burnt by the fact that the Wii U sucked absolute ass... I picked up a Switch. Well after release, sure, but I still got a Switch because I trusted the quality of the games, what Nintendo would do for their fans. Despite thinking that Ultimate was going to be a Smash 4 port with some more DLC, I still held out a little hope for it, and when it was shown off at E3 with every character returning, I was hyped up. The massive roster that I had dreamed about since Melee was really becoming a reality... Almost everything from this point is so recent there's no need to describe it.

So if the fact that I don't sit down at the table and say with excitement "itadakimasu" when Nintendo serves me **** doesn't make me a fan despite all of this, then I don't want to be a fan.

You might be saying "how is Nintendo putting the most vapid antagonist of the most entry level Final Fantasy game into Smash 'serving [you] *'", and all I have to say in response to that is that you simply will never understand how I feel. Sephiroth isn't *, of course not. This is a massive reveal that pleases a lot more people than it disappoints and answers the question of "how do they outdo Steve?". But I didn't sign up to see Steve outdone. I didn't sign up to see ****ing Steve. There's a small handful of holes in Smash Ultimate that keep it from truly being "Ultimate" or even "Special" as the Japanese name implies, and those holes aren't filled by massive picks like this, they're filled by little guys that the Smash community has been requesting for over a decade. But fan polls mean nothing in the face of big money deals.

All of this DLC, even pass 1, has been mostly just head turning characters, nothing to appeal to fan requests. Joker? "Look at us, we got weeb garbage to join the roster before the fans got anything they asked for!" Hero? "Look at us we got the biggest RPG franchise in Japan to join the roster" Banjo? Banjo...

I'm *ing bitter and I want to put these words on paper, and know that I mean them from the bottom of my heart - if you like Banjo then * you. I hate you for the fact that you got your dumb cereal mascot from a trashy knockoff Mario 64 before we got virtually anyone else. This goes beyond Geno, *ing Waluigi would have been a better pick than Banjo. I'm glad that he's just a ****ty Mario semi-clone that'll never amount to anything competitively because I ****ing hate looking at him and hearing his sound effects and his music. He was added as nothing more than yet another "look at us, we went to our direct competitor and shilled their console so we could pretend to appeal to fans but actually we just wanted to turn heads and be a media sensation", but blinded by nostalgia for an objectively awful pair of video games you guys think they finally listened to the fans for once. It's sad. And for the record? Geno could be the next three characters and I'd still feel this way about Banjo. * him and **** his fans.

Terry is a genuine enigma and I'm glad they added him. Byleth needs no explanation.

I've said so many times that the DLC for Ultimate is about characters who have mechanics that are really unique. Joker has a semi-uncontrollable limit gauge that turns him from Sheik to Ganondorf, Hero has a whole ass spells menu, Banjo has... nothing really special, honestly. I guess the neutral B is unique but not really useful. Terry has fighting game inputs with a meter equivalent built in and Byleth is a Fire Emblem character with blue hair without a counter (who finally represents the variety of weapons available in the game). Min Min is like what if Mega Man's projectiles couldn't be reflected and Steve is so far out of the realm of plausible that he literally doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast. It really did feel like this was the development mindset, to make experiences unique to each character and put something special in the game, "and where did that bring you?"

Anime Swordsman: Back to me.

Seriously, they went out of their way to get the most iconic Final Fantasy villain right next to *ing Kefka, put him and the full length of his massive tool in the game only to give him a ****ing counter. They're out of ideas and they clearly don't give a damn about unique characters or characters that are pushing the limit of the game's balance. * me for being wrong about the one thing that would have spelt something good for Smash's future. They just want to turn heads or shill their own ****.

In the end, Ovaltine is right - this isn't on Square, this is on Nintendo. Nintendo didn't go to Square and say "gimme Geno" only for Square to say "Cloud first", they went to Square and said "gimme Cloud" and Square said "he's kind of old". This situation didn't happen with a single Square character. Nintendo asked for who we got and we got them. Nintendo ****ing hates the fact that Mario can be more than vapid platforming save the princess haha funny plumber fireballs go plt plt. They hate that Mario and his universe can be the vehicle of heartwarming stories with quirky dialogue that can evoke actual emotion from real humans, and above all, their pride as a company hates the fact that one of the most popular Mario characters of all time wasn't made by them. They never want us to be able to play as Geno again. Call it dooming all you want, it's the ****ing God's honest truth. If Nintendo wanted Geno, we would have had him three times by now.

That's what makes this **** sting even more. I've brought it up in the past but I'll bring it up again - there was an interview, long ago, where Sakurai said that he doesn't like to string people along or play with their expectations. Well, that was a ****ing lie because it is undeniable that our expectations have been played with and we've been strung along. If this was the plan all along then just put the ****ing Geno costume back in the game with Hero and end our ****ing misery. Let us ****ing rest from this endless speculation and harassment from internet randos and ****ing paid professionals moonlighting as insiders. Whoever's making these decisions up at Nintendo can rot in the deepest pit in hell for playing with the emotions of this fanbase and letting us be the whipping boys of an entire community. Thinking about it, hell's probably too nice of a place for them.

I hope Wynn is riding high right about now, he's a king and should be exalted like one.

And why do I want to throw Ultimate in the garbage and delete my account? Because Smash has changed. The future I imagined back in Melee was one in which Nintendo characters and maybe third party characters relevant to Nintendo's storied history would be added in droves to make this perfect dream fighting game... But we've gotten almost the exact opposite. Characters that mean nothing to Nintendo and in some cases have barely appeared on a Nintendo console get added in and the world goes ape**** for them, just a byproduct of the corruption of the wish that everyone liked video games.

As it stands right now, I look at the roster and it makes me *ing angry. Who the hell is Bayonetta? Corrin? Piranha Plant? Incineroar? Joker? Byleth? Why the hell did someone photoshop Minecraft Steve onto this character select screen and make me accept it as real? I just can't with this *. The pandemic has robbed me of the joys that Smash brought into my life and they can't be replaced with the shoddy online, and even when it inevitably ends and things can return to normal, the damage of the character picks is going to remain. The world is give and take, and I feel like all I've gotten is the "take" half of it. All I have to look forward to in the Smash section of my life is going back to a tournament in which a bunch of zoomers are playing ****ing Steve and Sans Undertale and I've gotten a big fat goose egg when it comes to characters I want that can balance out this nightmare. I don't want to suffer hearing Steve's victory screen when I can't move that cursor on the character select screen over to someone that I genuinely begged to have added to the game. I just don't want to put up with it. Again, if you can't understand my sentiments here, whatever, you just won't ever understand it.

I just want to put all of this behind me and pretend I never cared. I'm tired of losing and I'd rather pretend that I won.

Once again, this image that I saved all the way back in the grinch days haunts me. It was real all along, obviously provided by a time traveler.
View attachment 295113
Dude you need to chill it okay to be upset or not like the dlc im not asking you to worship nintendo or anything but you overeacting The smash dlc has been filled With fan requests with people wanted minus like 1 or 2 shill picks do you know how long people in japan wanted Hero or how long people wanted banjo you can not like the dlc but you cant say nobody asked for them

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
New predictions:

• Crash (Because new game)
  • Eggman (Because his absence is strange now)
  • Impa (Because the last pick is always first party)

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I think I'm just gonna head out of the thread for a bit. I'm obviously very wary of the Mii Costume wave coming on the 17th, but I'm gonna keep holding out for Geno until the very bitter end. Like I said last night, even if Geno misses out this costume wave I don't think we're in the clear... but I will definitely take "unlikely" over "deconfirmed". I'll leave ya'll to it.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Surprised nobody dogpiled onto my mention of the Mii Costume Guy leak earlier in the thread. I did some digging but couldn't find the complete concrete list, just this image shared by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice with some of the more secretive costumes he was able to get out of the guy: unknown-1-2-png.279847 (400×136) (smashboards.com)

Not sure if that's to be believed or if it's even from the same person who correctly leaked Team Rocket Grunt, Goemon and Cuphead, but that list with thsoe 3 costumes did have Chocobo, Mallow and Smithy so they're on a list with some confirmed (and hard to guess) costumes for some reason. As far as the list in the image I linked, if it IS connected, it has 2B as another Square character. All of those costumes (Chocobo, Mallow, Smithy and 2B) would eat up a lot of real estate for the costumes Sephiroth brings with him. And, if Geno is a costume, that's ALL the costume slots we typically would get totally taken up. I know was sounding down and not very hopeful earlier in the thread and I'm still very much there, but thinking about this particular leak a bit more has given me a tiny light at the end of the tunnel.

Conclusion: If Mii Leaker is to be believed, we may be getting another batch of Square costumes (specifically SMRPG and maybe Nier Automata) with another character.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, Geno Thread, it looks like you've lost.

Remember how, in the beginning, or some time after that, I told you that I'm only here because I love the speculation, and because I've already gotten every character I really wanted? That has been my attitude since I first joined this website all the way back on the 22nd of Jul 22, 2019. Sure, his costume might still not show up, but I think we all know that lightning's not going to strike twice, and I don't wanna lie around hoping. So, it's all over. Geno's Mii Fighter Costume will be back alongside Sephiroth.

It was good while it lasted. We eased each other's boredom for quite a while. Well, Geno Thread, it's been interesting.

Hat time.png

D

Deleted member

Surprised nobody dogpiled onto my mention of the Mii Costume Guy leak earlier in the thread. I did some digging but couldn't find the complete concrete list, just this image shared by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice with some of the more secretive costumes he was able to get out of the guy: unknown-1-2-png.279847 (400×136) (smashboards.com)

Not sure if that's to be believed or if it's even from the same person who correctly leaked Team Rocket Grunt and Cuphead, but that list did have Chocobo, Mallow and Smithy so they're on there for some reason. As far as the list in the image I linked, if it IS connected, it has 2B as another Square character. All of those costumes (Chocobo, Mallow, Smithy and 2B) would eat up a lot of real estate for the costumes Sephiroth brings with him. And, if Geno is a costume, that's ALL the costume slots we typically would get totally taken up.

Conclusion: If Mii Leaker is to be believed, we may be getting another batch of Square costumes (specifically SMRPG and maybe Nier Automata) with another character.
I don't know how much more plainly the writing on these walls needs to be that the Mii Costume Guy leaks were altered by someone in the chain of getting it to PapaGenos. There will be no Smithy, and no Mallow. Cacomallow is fake. That's it, we lose.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm kinda wondering if the people expecting dante or even monster hunter will get swerved on and we get Phoenix Wright? Predicting a curveball is kinda bold but it's just a gut feeling i have

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how much more plainly the writing on these walls needs to be that the Mii Costume Guy leaks were altered by someone in the chain of getting it to PapaGenos. There will be no Smithy, and no Mallow. Cacomallow is fake. That's it, we lose.
But where's the evidence for that? I don't doubt it, and it may explain why it never gets brought up anymore. And Cacomallow being fake hit me this morning but I shudder at the thought some sick ******* spent all that time fooling us. I mean, worse has happened, but nobody's come forward yet and it's just... unfortunate. Nobody came forward about Grinch either, so I can't even count that against Caco honestly.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm kinda wondering if the people expecting dante or even monster hunter will get swerved on and we get Phoenix Wright? Predicting a curveball is kinda bold but it's just a gut feeling i have
I've been reconsidering Phoenix with the recent Capcom leaks (especially since Ghosts and Goblins is proof that yeah, everything here is completely legit) but I still don't really see it. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE Phoenix, way more than the other two, but I can't deny the other two are way bigger and you can't really pull the "tied to Nintendo" card, since that hasn't been a factor in a long time it seems and Monster Hunter has plenty of ties to Nintendo anyway.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Wait, hold on guys, what the hell does this mean for the Mii Costume list from July last year? Are we really about to potentially get Geno, Mallow and Smithy as Mii Costumes with Sephiroth? Unless the SE costumes heard were leakbait, something doesn’t seem right here. I don’t see them going out of their way getting Mallow and Smithy if Geno is just a Mii.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
At this point the second fighters pass has been all off the wall picks no one saw coming. We thought it was a way to give the fans more of the highly requested characters that got voiced really hard in the lead up to smash ultimate's release that weren't in the already decided 1rst pass. I don't think any of the highly discussed characters are going to be chosen anymore.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
But where's the evidence for that? I don't doubt it, and it may explain why it never gets brought up anymore. And Cacomallow being fake hit me this morning but I shudder at the thought some sick ******* spent all that time fooling us. I mean, worse has happened, but nobody's come forward yet and it's just... unfortunate. Nobody came forward about Grinch either, so I can't even count that against Caco honestly.
The problem is there is no proof one way or another. We don't know if it was tampered, but we equally don't know if it wasn't. The only thing we can really look at for certain is the fact that the Mallow and Smith costumes didn't show up with the rest, which is pretty suspicious. That alone is a red flag we should've taken as a "it's fake" rather than "Nintendo changed their plans".

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Do any guys have any other chracthers you want other geno its good to have other chracther you want in case your only doesnt get in

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I've been reconsidering Phoenix with the recent Capcom leaks (especially since Ghosts and Goblins is proof that yeah, everything here is completely legit) but I still don't really see it. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE Phoenix, way more than the other two, but I can't deny the other two are way bigger and you can't really pull the "tied to Nintendo" card, since that hasn't been a factor in a long time it seems and Monster Hunter has plenty of ties to Nintendo anyway.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, yadda yadda, Bigfoot, etc. The lack of Smash in the Capcom leak doesn't really mean anything because we don't know how the Smash team conducts negotiations. Phoenix is totally on the table and, imo, just as likely as Monster Hunter. Actually, MH is already in the game and still didn't get a fighter (insert comments from developer's feelings on crossovers here). If they're bringing in stuff that will surprise us and introduce "new" universes (minus Sephiroth, but even he's going to come with more FF content), then Phoenix Wright is a really, really good choice. I'm still holding out for Arthur personally, but to each their own.

All this could be applied to Geno too, I suppose. We don't know where the body is buried, so we have to wait to find out. We also don't know if Square negotiated over 2 different IPs (SMPRG and FF7), so we just have to sit and wait it out. He could easily be the "Terry" of this pass -- a niche character that shocks most of the fanbase, but has a history. I think Sephiroth is our Banjo, if I'm being honest.

The problem is there is no proof one way or another. We don't know if it was tampered, but we equally don't know if it wasn't. The only thing we can really look at for certain is the fact that the Mallow and Smith costumes didn't show up with the rest, which is pretty suspicious. That alone is a red flag we should've taken as a "it's fake" rather than "Nintendo changed their plans".
That is completely valid and Occam's razor says we should just assume it's all fake and they peppered in legit info to make it sound good. Who knows, unfortunately. I hate this speculation cycle :/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But where's the evidence for that? I don't doubt it, and it may explain why it never gets brought up anymore.
The evidence is that the costume leak came from July of 2019 and while it included undeniably real costumes from Banjo's wave, it also strangely had Square costumes that didn't come with Hero but were almost just enough to make a full pack for Geno. I went over this in an earlier post in this thread, once again calling it out as fishy only a week ago, or less.

Maybe you don't understand, but Mii Costume Guy's first language is not English. He told that information to a secondary party or parties, and in turn, those secondary parties told that information to third parties.

Through implications and asking the right questions, I know with about 99% certainty that I know who at least one of the third parties is, and that third party is who brought the information to PapaGenos and Sabi. Sabi disregarded the list immediately because the person who brought it to him was "a known troll". Papa, of course, held onto it, especially after Banjo's reveal (Papa didn't make the costume list public until around October).

In the interest of being fair to the people who do not deserve it, I will not name the third party that I'm so certain I know, but I will say he's human garbage and I hope he never shows his face around here again. Sabi is living dog ****, but that's convincing enough that he'd know a less than savory individual when he sees one. As an avid hater of Geno and this fandom, I'm certain that a reprehensible act like modifying a leak is not beyond him. I hope that he will not pass go, will not collect $200, and will go directly to hell.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Even though i dont like how some people Downplay other chracthers.and act like Nintendo doesnt care about what fans what i really admire you dedication to geno and i hope he gets in

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well, Geno Thread, it looks like you've lost.

Remember how, in the beginning, or some time after that, I told you that I'm only here because I love the speculation, and because I've already gotten every character I really wanted? That has been my attitude since I first joined this website all the way back on the 22nd of Jul 22, 2019. Sure, his costume might still not show up, but I think we all know that lightning's not going to strike twice, and I don't wanna lie around hoping. So, it's all over. Geno's Mii Fighter Costume will be back alongside Sephiroth.

It was good while it lasted. We eased each other's boredom for quite a while. Well, Geno Thread, it's been interesting.

View attachment 295148
Okay, Ryuk.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, yadda yadda, Bigfoot, etc. The lack of Smash in the Capcom leak doesn't really mean anything because we don't know how the Smash team conducts negotiations. Phoenix is totally on the table and, imo, just as likely as Monster Hunter. Actually, MH is already in the game and still didn't get a fighter (insert comments from developer's feelings on crossovers here). If they're bringing in stuff that will surprise us and introduce "new" universes (minus Sephiroth, but even he's going to come with more FF content), then Phoenix Wright is a really, really good choice. I'm still holding out for Arthur personally, but to each their own.

All this could be applied to Geno too, I suppose. We don't know where the body is buried, so we have to wait to find out. We also don't know if Square negotiated over 2 different IPs (SMPRG and FF7), so we just have to sit and wait it out. He could easily be the "Terry" of this pass -- a niche character that shocks most of the fanbase, but has a history. I think Sephiroth is our Banjo, if I'm being honest.

That is completely valid and Occam's razor says we should just assume it's all fake and they peppered in legit info to make it sound good. Who knows, unfortunately. I hate this speculation cycle :/
I meant what GAMES got leaked as part of the Capcom mess. I thought Ace Attorney was mostly dead at this point but that clearly isn't the case.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It will be nice to finally get closure on the 17th, not just for fans, but more for the detractors. This way they don't need to spend every Smash reveal leaving the trailer immediately to run to a thread for a completely different character and see reactions. They could actually enjoy the newcomers instead of going 'But what does the Geno thread think?' Maybe the detractors can finally find a way to get their Geno obsession under control.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Do any guys have any other chracthers you want other geno its good to have other chracther you want in case your only doesnt get in
At this point a lot of them are either in or got Mii costumed/spirited/AT'd. I still want playable Goemon and Bomberman. Badly. For ones that aren't already repped, I'd love to see a Darkstalkers character or Arthur. Also Chun-Li. I also think Bubble Bobble could be cool. Or Bonk. I have weird tastes. I also still want an FF rep that covers the original 6 games, like a generic White Mage or something. As for 1st party, I'm still reeling from not getting Elma or Takamaru. I was convinced they were shoe-ins this game. Mike from StarTropics would be a dream come true. And I'm still puzzled why characters like Dixie, Toad or DK Jr. still haven't made it in since they're such memorable and recognizable Nintendo icons. Also, somebody obscure and really out there like Game and Watch levels of wtf-ery would be great. I'm talking Space Firebird as an anthro phoenix thing with weird 8-bit arcade powers, a Hanafuda "man" who fights with cards, Trixie from Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, or Sky Skipper as a permanently flying little dude who pesters fighters with his plane (or a reimagined modern fighter, which could be interesting). Again: weird tastes.

I meant what GAMES got leaked as part of the Capcom mess. I thought Ace Attorney was mostly dead at this point but that clearly isn't the case.
Mea culpa. I was thinking about how people wanted to see Smash in that leak so bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno is first and foremost, but I also wanted Isaac and Lloyd.

For my crimes against the universe I have been punished thoroughly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I get that you're depressed but "everyone's out to get the Geno fanbase" mentality absolutely kills me. People like Jeff Grubb,Imran Khan, Jon Cartwright, etc don't seem like people that would go out of their way to **** with total strangers. No functional adult is that petty. One thing I've learned doing this is that you generally have no idea when the hell things are supposed to pan out and I'm still shocked as **** the Steve and Sephiroth wound up being true two years later. I don't think people grasp how significant this is because I sincerely doubt Nintendo made multiple trips to Microsoft and Square Enix for those respective characters. Hell, several people have admitted that Steve was greenlit in 2015. Hero, Sephiroth, and Geno all being okayed by the fall of 2018 would not surprise me one bit at this point. From an amateur perspective, we really have no real sense of how this works and this speculation has introduced us to the terrifying reality that this can take years to happen and we get info waaaaaaaaay too early.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I had a big post about how it's no where near over, but I'm not sure if I'm to share it here.

This thread is way too full of sudden detractors and I'm not sure my encouragement is deserved nor that it would be accepted.

Let's just say if his costume is still missing in under a week we have a spicy ****ing meatball to lick for the coming months.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Somebody needs to bug PracticalBrush. I know whoever contacted him said they wouldn't, but c'mon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom