• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Randoms that jump into the Geno Thread: “Wanting things and being disappointed you didn’t get said things is cringe. Feeling and expressing disappointment is a phenomenon exclusive to the Geno thread. I am very smart.”
I don’t understand what you are trying to say here and I don’t what’s with the passive aggressiveness

I just think it’s kinda silly that community that spent years lecturing other people, that there isn’t any rules or patterns..... are suddenly giving in to said rules and patterns

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Fellow Geno fan or not, There's some of us in this community that maybe never deserved him in the first place.

You can decide if I'm talking about one or both of us.
Okay no, that's it, I'm done holding back on you now. I don't care if you've got emotional issues or not. there is NO EXCUSE for what you are doing right now.

WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!

Seriously, I want to know. WHERE do you get off saying that to anyone in this thread, let alone someone who has, if quietly, campaigned for this character to come back in some way shape or form off and on since he was five years old?!

This is absolutely disgusting, because as hyped as I am for Sephiroth I'm still nervous that Geno could show up as a costume with him, even if FF has so much **** to pull from that it really shouldn't happen. Just because I believe more Fighter Passes are coming doesn't mean I don't have a deep down fear that this could be the end and Geno could miss out on the best Smash game to date. Just because I'm staying positive about things no matter how dark it gets doesn't mean I don't feel the dark air where it seems that every other long-term Smash request is being granted except for the one I've wanted for over 20 ****ing years.

People like myself and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and QQS QQS who keep trekking on through the sludge and deluge with some amount of hope because we've been here for years and would rather shine forth with positivity than be constantly overwhelmed by our doubts and fears over our favorite video game character and his franchise being dormant forever. I REFUSE to let myself wallow and inevitably drown in my own despair over something like this, no matter how important it is to me personally.

I didn't ask for Sephiroth; I only EVER ask for Geno, and then everything else is acceptable afterwards, even characters I don't want from companies I think are trash because THAT is how much Geno means to me. Just because I recognize how big a deal an addition is and accept the characters we do get because I know they will be of good quality and fun to play doesn't mean I don't wish EVERY SINGLE TIME that it was Geno, but I put aside my bias because I understand I'm not the only Smash fan out there asking for their character and fighting for that treasured envelope. I'm also someone who consistently puts others before me for whatever reason and have gone from being spoiled in early life to not getting most of what I want in later life, so I'm able to adjust to not getting what I wanted easily and be grateful for what I did get.

I even have a best friend who HATES this fandom, both the Smash one as a whole and the Geno fandom just because of how I can't stop talking about Geno and SMRPG and he got sick of it and thinks most people don't really want Geno and he's a meme pick. I have to hear him **** on Geno's chances regularly, both logical reasons and just trolling hateful reasons and I just let it go because I understand he doesn't get it and it means nothing to him. He was ACTIVELY ROOTING FOR TOAD TO GET IN OVER GENO JUST TO SEE US ALL SUFFER, and kept chanting for it up until the reveal, and somehow a character from HIS FAVORITE GAME gets in AGAIN and yet Geno is no where to be seen. Do you think I didn't want to get upset and snap on him for being an asshole, or to scream at devs who can't hear me about how unfair that is?

OF COURSE I DID! But that doesn't get anything done and is illogical, so I do what Geno fans do best and press on.

Even now after all this and how I'm genuinely pissed with you and you attitude (which believe it or not, was not like this before now) I STILL would NEVER say you don't deserve to get Geno, though I will always imply you are one of those fans who constantly give up and spread weak-minded folly, because I would NEVER wish for ANY dedicated fan to not get what they have been fighting for. Even in your darkest times I would NEVER wish against you something like that, because it's just unbelievably ****ing cruel.

All in all, I try to kill pessimism because all it does is bring everyone down and accomplishes nothing. I get sassy and snarky because I get sick of people giving up on Geno every other ****ing day. And finally, I will never give up on Geno's chances because I REFUSE to be that guy who really wanted my character in Smash but gave up and said it's never happening and it's no longer worth fighting for, ONLY TO HAVE IT HAPPEN IN THE ABSENT OF MY SUPPORT.

I refuse to let it go down that way, and so should all of us Geno Bros.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I missed "video description". The actual Youtube video that will premier on the 17th says the following:

※有料追加コンテンツ第9弾以降の、新ファイターの発表はございません。

If you let Google translate chop that up as it thinks is appropriate it says no new fighter will be announced after the 9th paid content but the more accurate translation is more akin to "the fighter from the 9th additional paid content will not be announced".
Really? That’s weird because when I translated the description on the Japanese account it just mentioned this
”The special program “How to use Sephiroth” will be broadcast from 7:00 an on Friday, December 18th! Mr. Sakurai, the director of “Smash Bros. SP”, will introduce in detail the features of the fighter “Sephiroth” who will newly participate in “Final Fantasy VII” while playing a demonstration.”
In other words, didn’t mention no other fighters.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
More thoughts to share! I made a pros and cons list regarding Sephiroth's inclusion.

• Sephiroth is a huge name. He absolutely deserves to be in Smash as one of gaming's biggest iconic villains.
  • More Final Fantasy content in Smash.
  • Combined with Steve and the fact that these fighters pass 2 characters are "truly extra" could mean we are getting a pass full of huge names like these meaning certain characters I want like Crash could be more likely than I thought.
  • One Winged Angel is pretty much guaranteed to come as one of the music tracks and that alone almost makes the pass worth buying.
  • Sephiroth is a villain and a third party character which is the first time this has happened in Smash. This means Eggman, Wesker, and other iconic third party villains now may actually have a shot. However, Sephiroth was not the first character added from his franchise so Wesker or even Heihachi may not be able to get in until a protagonist makes it in from their respective series first.
  • Sephiroth definitely killed off some fan rules and proved beyond Steve that double dipping from the same company between passes and even the same game is possible thus destroying the "new worlds" argument. (Hopefully a certain blue puppet can show us that double dipping within the same pass is possible too).
  • No matter what, Ultimate is an amazing game. Everybody is here. I got Ridley, K Rool, AND Dark Samus. The DLC is just extra on top of an already amazing game no matter what my thoughts on the character choices are for the DLC.

• Another sword user who appears to even have a counter as one of his moves makes this seem like a pretty lazy moveset compared to Min Min and Steve.
  • Square Enix is unlikely to get another character in this pass meaning characters like Geno, Neku, and Sora (depending on how his rights work between Square and Disney) probably will not make it into Smash Ultimate. A lot is riding on the Mii costume segment on the 17th to see if Geno and company will actually finally be disconfirmed for Smash.
  • Final Fantasy has 14-15 games? Not including spin-offs. I understand going with Sephiroth for his iconic status and with FFVIIR being in development, but there are other Final Fantasy characters who would be amazing to have in Smash. I've personally always wanted Black Mage and would have found that a more acceptable inclusion with more fun and unique potential for a moveset. It just seems superfluous to have 2 Final Fantasy characters in Smash both be from FFVII.
  • It's pretty obvious now that Nintendo really is the ones picking the DLC characters and I think this is the con that scares me the most because would they even care to pick characters I actually want to see like Geno, Crash, Rayman, Frisk, Master Chief, etc? Probably not except maybe Crash. The only upside to this is that I could see us getting another Metroid character to further promote Metroid Prime 4 which would be just lovely!
  • Sephiroth doesn't give us many clues about what to expect from this pass. Min Min is pretty clearly an outlier so far, but it's possible Nintendo blew all it's money for the DLC trying to get Steve and Sephiroth and that will mean the rest of the pass is full of lower budget characters opposed to more big names. There's too many unknowns to know how this pass will really shape up.
  • I haven't gotten a single character so far in either DLC that I can actually be personally really excited about except kind of vicariously Joker, Banjo, and Steve. The character I've personally been most excited about is Piranha Plant which is just weird. If I can just get one character I actually care about the DLC would be redeemed but at this point I just don't think it's for me. It just doesn't really feel like everyone IS here sometimes with some DLC choices. Ultimate doesn't feel ultimate to me without someone like Geno, Crash, or Rayman who have been popular in Smash speculation for so long. It's nice to be surprised and these characters are certainly surprising, but for once it'd be nice to be surprised by a character I actually wanted lol.
  • I feel even worse for the Heihachi fans now. We've seen Steve a character who's moveset required the team to add code to every single stage in Ultimate thus showing that moveset complexity is not an insurmountable issue so that's not holding Heihachi back. And now we've seen a villain make it in DLC. Granted Seph isn't the first character from his respective series but still the protagonist argument doesn't really hold up either. Meaning that Heihachi just didn't make it in and that's that which leads me to my next point.
  • I think Sephiroth may destroy chances for remaining Smash 4 costumes to get upgraded. If Heihachi got costumed again and Geno likely will too that leaves Llyod who is another RPG flashy swordsman hmm sound familiar oh yeah that's because we just got that in Sephiroth and what? Monster Hunter who Byleth kind of covered. Doesn't mean we couldn't have both but I'm thinking it's not looking good for any remaining Smash 4 costumes.

Now I'm not giving up hope or trying to dash anyone else's but I think these are all pretty valid points even if some are basically fan rules.

One other thing I want to mention is that back when we had the letter writing campaign I mentioned it would be cool to write another letter at the end of Ultimate's DLC cycle thanking the team for all their hard work on the game regardless of whether Geno makes it in or not. I understand if not everyone feels grateful about the game or would want to do that and that's all totally fine but I would be up for doing this if other people were interested. We may not be able to will our character into existence in Smash, but we can make ourselves known and we can seek to be a positive force within this increasingly toxic community. We can keep Geno's memory alive and do positive acts in his name that way even if people bad mouth this fanbase our actions will show our true colors and the more we ignore those bad mouthing us the more we will get noticed for what we really are - just people who want Geno so bad they keep pushing for him no matter what.

Firox

Smash Master
As much as I do love Sephiroth, I do also have to admit...

THERE ARE TOO MANY SWORDSMEN NOW!

Welcome to Super Sword Bros.

QQS

Smash Lord
Really? That’s weird because when I translated the description on the Japanese account it just mentioned this
”The special program “How to use Sephiroth” will be broadcast from 7:00 an on Friday, December 18th! Mr. Sakurai, the director of “Smash Bros. SP”, will introduce in detail the features of the fighter “Sephiroth” who will newly participate in “Final Fantasy VII” while playing a demonstration.”
On the Mii Waves, Geno costume will be upgraded to playable as a Bonus Fighter side by side with the Plant, with the Mario logo and the 2 songs :D as a Christmas gift.

Dreaming isn’t a crime, isn’t it?

D

Deleted member

okay thats it RANT TIME

IM NOT OKAY WITH THIS

While I disliked FF7 and believe it aged terribly, I found its remake quite fantastic and loved Sephiroth is this

HOWEVER

Square (or nintendo idk) is acting as if FF7 is the only thing ever that ever existed, what about like... THE 15 OTHER ENTRIES ???

I am TIRED of this praise for FF7 when charcaters like Sora, Chrono or Geno deserved a spot WAY MORE and ITS A FACT

Cloud was awesome and unexpected, you don't need to rereate this scheme TWICE

And TBH he looks BAD, looks like an AT they would have forgotten during dev... COME ON ? Zelda side B? Counter Down B? This characters a ****ing patchwork FFS

AAaaaaaand only 1 to 2 music and the stage is ugly af

Im pissed
You basically took those words right out of my mouth, because these are my exact thoughts.
I just think Sephiroth is a bad choice, through and through.
Alright, shows over, I need to vent.

Let me start this off with a BIG DISCLAIMER : You are allowed to like Sephiroth being in the game. I get it, he's a super popular character, he's atleast another villain, and honestly he will probably be fun to play. None of my frustration is directed at anyone excited by this, you should be happy to have your moment, enjoy it. If you don't want to read an overly long rant written by someone very frustrated by this, then don't, more power to you.

All that being said... really. Really. REALLY? SEPHIROTH. Of all characters? REALLY?!?! Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm dissappointed by no Geno, very much so. I saw Hero in the trailer and instantly realized that it had to be a Square character, they don't let their stuff in anything else. I saw Mario, I got really excited. I see Galeem, and HE GETS CUT IN HALF BY A VERTICAL SWORD SWING, I genuinely thought it was Exor and we were getting Geno. It stung. ALOT.

But like... I'm dissappointed by the prospect Geno isn't in the game. Not really mad, just kinda empty about it, like really, we got strung along by the missing Mii Costume just for it to almost certainly come with a different Square character? K Rool and Chrom and Isabelle can all get upgraded but Geno is just too much for Square I guess? Whatever. But Sephiroth? Thats what makes me angry. You could have put in ANY. OTHER. SQUARE CHARACTER. Neku. Crono. 2B. Lara Croft. SORA. GOD DAMN GEX. Or how about this, atleast a Final Fantasy character from a different game, maybe one more intone with Nintendo, like Black Mage, or Terra?

But no, Square just HAAAD to put in Sephiroth. Of course they did. Gotta promote that Final Fantasy 7 Remake don't ya? I was ok with Cloud, sure he is way more tied to Sony than Nintendo but it's Final Fantasy 7, actually having him in Smash is the stuff of LEGENDS. Sephiroth just feels like Square wanted to make the most money possible and shill the remake.

And of ALL THE THIRD PARTY FRANCHISES TO GET A 2ND FULL CHARACTER, it's Final Fantasy, and not even from a different game. Sure am going to be glad to get the TWO ****ing music tracks that come with him. Can't give Sonic another character, can't give Mega Man another character, but SURE let's give Final Fantasy 7 one. Just uhhg.
Very late to this but here are my thoughts. I perfectly understand the disappointment and frustration. I prefer Geno over Sephiroth light years more, but come on, this is Sephiroth we’re talking about. As much as I prefer Black Mage or Terra, he makes perfect sense I don’t know how he isn’t. He’s not just popular, he’s one of the top villains in gaming alongside Eggman. I mean it’s no surprise people actually want Sephiroth the most out of any FF character after Cloud. Keep in mind Nintendo is the one approaching Square Enix for a character. SE would easily let Nintendo pick someone else so I highly doubt Sephiroth has anything to do with FF7R. Nintendo doesn’t have much reason to promote a game that isn’t coming to their system. I’m just confused how we didn’t have any spirits in the base game. But now? Was this done on purpose? Will all that aside, there are 4 extra datamined slots left in the game. They may very well be considering to add more fighters now despite Sakurai’s words that Vol. 2 will be it. We need another Hero miracle to stay in this or somehow Nintendo is okay with double dipping on 2 Square owned characters otherwise things aren’t looking good for Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
On the Mii Waves, Geno costume will be upgraded to playable as a Bonus Fighter side by side with the Plant, with the Mario logo and the 2 songs :D as a Christmas gift.

Dreaming isn’t a crime, isn’t it?
No, but one my dream characters has been seemingly shattered now so I’m just waiting for the inevitable outcome.
Honestly, thanks for your positivity man. Your posts on here are always the best and very wholesome. I wish I could have the same optimism as you do right now.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
My only question now is: Why no Geno? I mean, there's gotta be a behind the scenes reason. Nintendo isn't stupid, they're aware of the Geno support. It's been ongoing since like 2005, and Sakurai even showed his support at one point.

I'd really rather not have Geno fall into the Mother 3 category, but Mother 3 proves that Nintendo has a track record of ignoring fan requests for reviving something not well known. And before anyone says Nintendo has reasons for not bringing Mother 3 outside of Japan, the supposed reasons are dumber than rocks.

Nintendo doesn't like to take risks on things that don't have mainstream support, it's as simple as that.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don’t understand what you are trying to say here and I don’t what’s with the passive aggressiveness

I just think it’s kinda silly that community that spent years lecturing other people, that there isn’t any rules or patterns..... are suddenly giving in to said rules and patterns
I mean if you’ve paid attention to the thread there have been certain patterns that have held up for certain things. And I don’t see how being disappointed that a character didn’t get in is making us hypocrites.

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
My only question now is: Why no Geno? I mean, there's gotta be a behind the scenes reason. Nintendo isn't stupid, they're aware of the Geno support. It's been ongoing since like 2005, and Sakurai even showed his support at one point.

I'd really rather not have Geno fall into the Mother 3 category, but Mother 3 proves that Nintendo has a track record of ignoring fan requests for reviving something not well known. And before anyone says Nintendo has reasons for not bringing Mother 3 outside of Japan, the supposed reasons are dumber than rocks.

Nintendo doesn't like to take risks on things that don't have mainstream support, it's as simple as that.
They might make Geno last just to mess with us. Or to give us the joy.

TheBeastHimself

They might make Geno last just to mess with us. Or to give us the joy.
I'll save my pessimism, this thread has enough of it. Yesterday I was confused why people here were still holding out hope, but now I understand, and I think it's great to stay optimistic, to always see the positive to every adversarial situation. As for me personally, like I said, I'm one of those people who have been asking for Mother 3 since 2009, so I don't have high hopes for Nintendo right now. But, of course, I'm very open to being proven dead wrong.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

I have been thinking about this all morning and I wonder if the issue goes deeper on Geno. I wonder if it’s truly about preserving the brand of Mario.

a few people here have talked about how strict Nintendo has become in recent years with Mario characters, and I wonder if Nintendo views Geno as a threat to Mario’s general appeal. When you bring a character like Geno into the spotlight, you are acknowledging the STORY and the LORE in the Mario universe and perhaps Nintendo is really keen on keeping Mario as watered-down and generic as possible in order to appeal to a general audience.

just some thoughts to try and help me make sense of the continuing disrespect for Geno

QQS

Smash Lord
No, but one my dream characters has been seemingly shattered now so I’m just waiting for the inevitable outcome.
Honestly, thanks for your positivity man. Your posts on here are always the best and very wholesome. I wish I could have the same optimism as you do right now.
Moreover, I don’t see this as the end. We have been struggling 2 decades with thousand of ups and downs. Brawl wasn’t the end; Wii U costume wasn’t the end; Spirit wasn’t the end, then Min Min proved it; Hero wasn’t the end and now Sephiroth isn’t the end. Also, you still have the missing costume, the songs copyrighted (2), the other Fan Demand fulfilled and the recognition of Sakurai, are you gonna throw away all of that? I still see more light even with another Square rep in FP2

Options:

1) Geno May still be in the same FP2 after Sephiroth, if the costume doesn’t return with him. It’s not a rule not having the same company twice.

2) Nintendo is aware of this and they can’t deny it, not necessarily as Challenger Pack, Geno can perfectly fit as a Bonus, there is no way the Plant will be alone in that Section on the web. Waluigi here also.

3) Who says it has to be Square again? Geno can perfectly fit in as a First Party surprise character somehow, somewhere in DLC. Who knows what they have been dealing in secret?

4) Fighter Pass seems the perfect way to keep Smash alive and money moving. So FP3 is an option.

My conclusion is: if the costume return, for sure it will be Deluxe and we have to live with that and Game Over. BUT, if the costume don’t return, Geno is in playable, as 79-80-81 or Bonus or FP3.

Gone - not forgotten.

Geno <3

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting this thread to be locked very soon.

If you'd come here for laughs, I'd recommend you'd see your way out. Oh, and do try to be nice to others next time. You are only being toxic yourselves, which you preach so hard against on Twitter. There's a lot of double standards here at play.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Moreover, I don’t see this as the end. We have been struggling 2 decades with thousand of ups and downs. Brawl wasn’t the end; Wii U costume wasn’t the end; Spirit wasn’t the end, then Min Min proved it; Hero wasn’t the end and now Sephiroth isn’t the end. Also, you still have the missing costume, the songs copyrighted (2), the other Fan Demand fulfilled and the recognition of Sakurai, are you gonna throw away all of that? I still see more light even with another Square rep in FP2

Options:

1) Geno May still be in the same FP2 after Sephiroth, if the costume doesn’t return with him. It’s not a rule not having the same company twice.

2) Nintendo is aware of this and they can’t deny it, not necessarily as Challenger Pack, Geno can perfectly fit as a Bonus, there is no way the Plant will be alone in that Section on the web. Waluigi here also.

3) Who says it has to be Square again? Geno can perfectly fit in as a First Party surprise character somehow, somewhere in DLC. Who knows what they have been dealing in secret?

4) Fighter Pass seems the perfect way to keep Smash alive and money moving. So FP3 is an option.

My conclusion is: if the costume return, for sure it will be Deluxe and we have to live with that and Game Over. BUT, if the costume don’t return, Geno is in playable, as 79-80-81 or Bonus or FP3.

Gone - not forgotten.

Geno <3
Maybe both Sephiroth and Geno in the Pass is why there's 6 fighters 🤔

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
EXPRESSLY to be an ABSOLUTE BUTT of a man, I'm gonna dig this out of the grave. Yeah, this whole "list of suggested characters" that we VIOLENTLY ARGUED ABOUT for a bit at the beginning of October with some going "Yeah, executives probably did at SOME POINT compile a list of big fat maybes to present to Sakurai and ask if they could be added to Smash whilst peering over their glasses", and others going "SHUT UP, there is no list you STUPID MONGREL MUTT!" It was a... violent time. Many people were stabbed... thrown in dumpsters, lit on fire, even PEED ON.

Anyhow, Sephiroth was indeed on that list so apart from Min Min (who may or may not have been a special situation BIG FAT QUESTION MARK) it's been hitting em out of the park, xenother xenother was able to be all "this hits on most the names I heard at that time"... so.... MAAAAAAYBEEEE? Maybe NOT?

Surely the only thing we can do NOW is to VIOLENTLY YELL AT EACH OTHER OVER IT! PUNCH EACH OTHER! BEAT EACH OTHER! TAKE EACH OTHER'S OREOS, THROW THEM ON THE FLOOR AND PEE ON THEM WHILE YELLING OBSCENITIES AT THEIR DOG!

Or of course we could have civil, open minded discussion of the possibility, that works too.
View attachment 295105
Want to know what else is interesting about that list?

Some of those characters are related to Spirits and Costumes we eventually got. Others are characters that have been in the speculation circuit for a long, long time. And at least a few of those characters I can absolutely see being in the same ballpark as Sephiroth: iconic, massively appealing choices that don't rock the boat. As I posted earlier in the thread, there were a lot of rumblings for Sephiroth on 4chan leading up until the VGAs. You know who else from that list gets a lot of mentions on 4chan as if they're a lock but NEVER appears in the speculation circles of this thread, PapaGenos, etc.? Chun-Li. I know it's a longshot, but she's a really excellent choice and fits that same bill as Sephiroth. Totally a Sakurai style, corporate friendly choice if you ask me. If she's our next fighter (or really anyone else off this list), I think we have a live one. Arthur being on there brings me a smile too, because he's such a perfect choice and we did just get the announcement of a revival for that series that's exclusive to Switch.

Geno being absent bothers me immensely, though. And xenother xenother stating there's others missing does make me pause.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm definitely bummed for the diehard Geno fans here. =/ I'm personally torn because I like a lot of Square characters, and Super Mario RPG got me into other RPGs like Final Fantasy. I like Neku, Sora, and Geno and was hoping for any one of them but I can't be mad at Sephiroth. He was in a couple KH games, one of the most villainy villains in any video game ever, part of an RPG series that objectively has more fans and has shaped and continues to shape modern day RPGs, and he looks damn cool (and that trailer, besides Banjo, was for me the most hype Smash trailer ever in terms of animation, soundtrack, and general high quality production).

I do wish Geno wasn't more or less in competition with Sephiroth, because a lot of the Sora fans overlap with liking Sephiroth too, so most KH fans that I've spoken to or watched reactions of are pretty stoked. I sort of expect a Deluxe Mii Costume and I personally wouldn't be mad because I love the Bomberman one and other ones that have came out, but absolutely understand the frustration everyone has.

Hopefully if you want Geno as a Deluxe costume with music, that happens on the 17th, or if you don't and want to hold out for the possibility of a Piranha Plant reveal or a S3 pass, then that happens. I don't mean to sound unpopular, but at this point I think I'd be fine with a Deluxe costume and one or two tracks from SMRPG.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I know this is going to sound insensitive right now, but i do think it needs pointing out:

To anyone really THAT mad over this to the point they feel they have to attack others, please take a breath and remember that as much as we all love it, this is a gaming community and not a mafia family. No one has to get whacked here and if this is causing you any extreme grief, the best thing you can do is realize it's all a game and not worth it. If you feel hurt, please take some time to rest, re adjust, and let it pass. Life goes on. It really does. We will all be ok. i promise you. :geno:

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Smash 4 Ridley. History repeats itself.
I mean I think 99.9% of this thread took the news extremely well and maturely. And I'm not surprised like that because this thread has always consisted of some pretty level-headed people. But for some reason, people are being waaaay too melodramatic here for my liking, and as cruel as this is to say, I'd rather discuss Smash Bros. and Geno rather than mental health. I'm trying to escape life by coming here.

D

Deleted member

Not the tweet, the video it links to. You have to "see more" to see that part of the description.

Okay no, that's it, I'm done holding back on you now. I don't care if you've got emotional issues or not. there is NO EXCUSE for what you are doing right now.

Seriously, I want to know. WHERE do you get off saying that to anyone in this thread, let alone someone who has, if quietly, campaigned for this character to come back in some way shape or form off and on since he was five years old?!

This is absolutely disgusting, because as hyped as I am for Sephiroth I'm still nervous that Geno could show up as a costume with him, even if FF has so much **** to pull from that it really shouldn't happen. Just because I believe more Fighter Passes are coming doesn't mean I don't have a deep down fear that this could be the end and Geno could miss out on the best Smash game to date. Just because I'm staying positive about things no matter how dark it gets doesn't mean I don't feel the dark air where it seems that every other long-term Smash request is being granted except for the one I've wanted for over 20 ****ing years.

People like myself and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and QQS QQS who keep trekking on through the sludge and deluge with some amount of hope because we've been here for years and would rather shine forth with positivity than be constantly overwhelmed by our doubts and fears over our favorite video game character and his franchise being dormant forever. I REFUSE to let myself wallow and inevitably drown in my own despair over something like this, no matter how important it is to me personally.

I didn't ask for Sephiroth; I only EVER ask for Geno, and then everything else is acceptable afterwards, even characters I don't want from companies I think are trash because THAT is how much Geno means to me. Just because I recognize how big a deal an addition is and accept the characters we do get because I know they will be of good quality and fun to play doesn't mean I don't wish EVERY SINGLE TIME that it was Geno, but I put aside my bias because I understand I'm not the only Smash fan out there asking for their character and fighting for that treasured envelope. I'm also someone who consistently puts others before me for whatever reason and have gone from being spoiled in early life to not getting most of what I want in later life, so I'm able to adjust to not getting what I wanted easily and be grateful for what I did get.

I even have a best friend who HATES this fandom, both the Smash one as a whole and the Geno fandom just because of how I can't stop talking about Geno and SMRPG and he got sick of it and thinks most people don't really want Geno and he's a meme pick. I have to hear him **** on Geno's chances regularly, both logical reasons and just trolling hateful reasons and I just let it go because I understand he doesn't get it and it means nothing to him. He was ACTIVELY ROOTING FOR TOAD TO GET IN OVER GENO JUST TO SEE US ALL SUFFER, and kept chanting for it up until the reveal, and somehow a character from HIS FAVORITE GAME gets in AGAIN and yet Geno is no where to be seen. Do you think I didn't want to get upset and snap on him for being an asshole, or to scream at devs who can't hear me about how unfair that is?

OF COURSE I DID! But that doesn't get anything done and is illogical, so I do what Geno fans do best and press on.

Even now after all this and how I'm genuinely pissed with you and you attitude (which believe it or not, was not like this before now) I STILL would NEVER say you don't deserve to get Geno, though I will always imply you are one of those fans who constantly give up and spread weak-minded folly, because I would NEVER wish for ANY dedicated fan to not get what they have been fighting for. Even in your darkest times I would NEVER wish against you something like that, because it's just unbelievably ****ing cruel.

All in all, I try to kill pessimism because all it does is bring everyone down and accomplishes nothing. I get sassy and snarky because I get sick of people giving up on Geno every other ****ing day. And finally, I will never give up on Geno's chances because I REFUSE to be that guy who really wanted my character in Smash but gave up and said it's never happening and it's no longer worth fighting for, ONLY TO HAVE IT HAPPEN IN THE ABSENT OF MY SUPPORT.

You and me have a lot of similarities, and I guess that's why we struggle to get along. I just know when it's time to concede the game like a gentleman and get mad at the people who deserve the ire.

If you guys are happy to be holding out hope that this irrelevant side character from a 24 year old Mario spinoff game makes it into Smash when he's an irrelevant side character from a 30, 40, and 50 year old Mario game, then go for it, I'm just sick of living with this desire to see him in my heart.

And the part that frustrates me the most is that I know I can throw the game in the garbage, burn down all of my accounts on every website I have one on, sell my Switch and do any number of things to try and separate myself from this self-inflicted hell but I'll never actually be able to rid myself of this feeling of wanting to see Geno be playable in Smash. It's a part of my very soul at this point and nothing short of some kind of hypnotic therapy is gong to rid me of it.

This was the time, man. It's Mario's 35th anniversary, every game that Nintendo actively supports either has gotten or will be getting a Mario themed content update. Like Fatman pointed out, every month for a hot minute they've released some Mario item or game to purchase. A Mario themed online open is taking place this weekend and took place last weekend. There's an event tourney called beware the mushrooms. Geoff had the ****ing audacity to open up with that god damned everyone is here line like the character that we were about to see was really and truly completing this roster. If you can't see that we're being purposefully taken for a ride then I don't think there's any prescription lenses that can assist you. This hope is exactly what Nintendo wants from us because it keeps us coming back. I'm done feeding them that hope.

The chance is gone. Ultimate will never be the ultimate Smash game. Is it perfect in many ways? Yes. But it's not perfect, it intentionally swerved its chance to be.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Tribalism has you defending someone who plans to write a manifesto, commit account suicide, and discard the game just because they support the same character you do. Perhaps you ought to take off the team's facepaint for a sec and recognize that such behaviour is, for lack of a better word, drastic.
The funny thing is: I don’t care. Really. I truly and genuinely do not care. I love smash and Geno and conversing with others in this thread but honestly if someone is that legitimately pissed off they want to delete their account or whatever that’s fine. It really doesn’t bother me at all. It seems like you are under the impression that everyone in the thread is equally insecure as to be worried about “making Geno fans look bad”. But the thing is it doesn’t matter. Regardless of how we comport ourselves we’re still the whipping boy/low hanging fruit for ridicule from people in the community looking for easy clout. We could have all been pleasant little percys yesterday and someone somewhere would have found a reason to come into the thread and call us cringe. Maybe instead of psychoanalyzing and condescending a thread you could go outside and throw a football or something.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I have no idea how the rest of you long-haul chads can justify continuing to hope for Geno because of how long we've been hoping and getting burned, it's the ****ing stress point for me. I'd be less disappointed if I'd just jumped on the Geno bandwagon, sure, but the new blood shouldn't be strung along like we've been. They can look back on the history of this fanbase and see all of the empty platitudes Sakurai has thrown our way and all of the coincidences that we've had to endure and they sure as hell can decide for themselves that they don't want to be cattle led to slaughter like we've been. I commend them for it. Pick a horse that'll win, new guys.

View attachment 295102

I know I said I was going to wait until 12/17 to do this but ** it, there is absolutely zero chance that Geno's costume doesn't come back with Sephiroth and if it doesn't, I stand by what I said that they're just sweeping him under the rug. Believe it or not, I do read almost all of the comments in this thread even when we accumulate several tens of pages in one night. I see the high and mighty, the self righteous, the bootlickers who come here and say that we should appreciate every ***ing table scrap thrown our way, that somehow we should be just fine with a costume, or better still a ****ing "deluxe" one, and to you, I say unkindly * right off and find a new hobby instead of trying to hold the moral high ground on the ****ing internet - I hear they're accepting at clown college and that'll probably fill your time.

To all the people who want me to examine what kind of "fan" I am, despite the fact that you don't deserve a response, I can't help myself from putting at least 100 hooks in my mouth at any given time, I am a ****ing bait addict. I'll tell you what kind of fan I am, I'm the kind of fan that at age 9 picked up Super Smash Bros knowing good and god damn well that it was a multiplayer party game that I would likely never be able to enjoy as intended because I am an only child who, at the time, had 1 friend who was a stereotypical early 90s baby whose parents would not allow near a video game. I just wanted to know what it was about, how a game could possibly let me play as Mario and Link and Pikachu all in the same world, and I fell in love with it. I was introduced to Metroid, F-Zero and Earthbound through this game and because of the latter, I can say that Smash Bros 64 effectively changed my life.

I'm the kind of fan who bought a Gamecube on launch day and played Luigi's Mansion until Melee came out and then Melee almost never left my console. I had acquired exactly 1 more friend in those two years and this one played video games, so he and I played the everloving **** out of Melee and I began to learn about tournaments and the competitive scene of Smash at this point and I learned that I was absolute garbage at Melee and so stepped my game up tremendously over the following years. I never went to a single tournament because I was still so young, but it's safe to say that for the second time in its history, Smash as a franchise changed my life.

I'm the kind of fan who was up bright and early every morning, checking the Brawl Dojo before school or in my morning programming class if I didn't manage to wake up early enough to do it at home. Every day, I rooted for Geno or Isaac or Lloyd to show up, and after Lucas, I hoped for his adversary, Masked Man. I rode the ups and downs of that release cycle like everyone else, had my mind blown by Sonic and had my expectations slashed by the generic "check out this character's down tilt" posts or "look at this cool new item" *. I was out here in the trenches when a true all star cast of characters was soiled by the oh so creative addition of R.O.B. and Toon Link. Beyond all of this, what kind of fan am I? I didn't take a hot steamy dump on everyone who wanted to play Brawl competitively. I gave it a fair shake and my first Smash tournaments were playing this beautiful trainwreck. I sat around and endured endless * from Melee players because I enjoyed the roster over the mechanics. Did I switch to Brawl+ when it became available? **** yeah I did, to hell with tripping... But I looked forward to the future of the franchise.

I'm the kind of fan who hinged his decision to purchase a whole ass Wii U because they said of course Smash Bros was coming to it. Like Brawl before it, I was there every night on the Smash Dojo looking out, once again, for Geno. I was happy to see returning characters, thrilled by the addition of Mega Man, confused by the waifubait inclusions of Lucina and Palutena, angered at the concept of Mii Fighters, excited by Greninja, Shulk and Robin and ****ing heartbroken by the cut of Wolf, Snake and Lucas. The DLC cycle for Smash 4 was truly an exciting time for me because for the first time in Smash's history, after the game had come out we could hold onto hope. They brought Lucas back despite being a trophy and Ness having all of his moves, truly anything was possible... But Nintendo wanted to turn heads more than they wanted to please fans after Mewtwo and Lucas. I'm sure Cloud did both for some, but not for me, and the Geno costume... I don't think I was too upset. It was, at that time, hope. Hope, once again, to look forward to the future of the franchise.

Finally, I am the kind of fan who, despite being burnt on the fact that Bayonetta was added to Smash 4 with zero semblance of care for balance, despite being burnt on the quality of some of the Wii U's late-life releases (Star Fox Zero hurts me in ways I didn't think I could be hurt by video games), and despite being burnt by the fact that the Wii U sucked absolute ass... I picked up a Switch. Well after release, sure, but I still got a Switch because I trusted the quality of the games, what Nintendo would do for their fans. Despite thinking that Ultimate was going to be a Smash 4 port with some more DLC, I still held out a little hope for it, and when it was shown off at E3 with every character returning, I was hyped up. The massive roster that I had dreamed about since Melee was really becoming a reality... Almost everything from this point is so recent there's no need to describe it.

So if the fact that I don't sit down at the table and say with excitement "itadakimasu" when Nintendo serves me **** doesn't make me a fan despite all of this, then I don't want to be a fan.

You might be saying "how is Nintendo putting the most vapid antagonist of the most entry level Final Fantasy game into Smash 'serving [you] *'", and all I have to say in response to that is that you simply will never understand how I feel. Sephiroth isn't *, of course not. This is a massive reveal that pleases a lot more people than it disappoints and answers the question of "how do they outdo Steve?". But I didn't sign up to see Steve outdone. I didn't sign up to see ****ing Steve. There's a small handful of holes in Smash Ultimate that keep it from truly being "Ultimate" or even "Special" as the Japanese name implies, and those holes aren't filled by massive picks like this, they're filled by little guys that the Smash community has been requesting for over a decade. But fan polls mean nothing in the face of big money deals.

All of this DLC, even pass 1, has been mostly just head turning characters, nothing to appeal to fan requests. Joker? "Look at us, we got weeb garbage to join the roster before the fans got anything they asked for!" Hero? "Look at us we got the biggest RPG franchise in Japan to join the roster" Banjo? Banjo...

I'm *ing bitter and I want to put these words on paper, and know that I mean them from the bottom of my heart - if you like Banjo then * you. I hate you for the fact that you got your dumb cereal mascot from a trashy knockoff Mario 64 before we got virtually anyone else. This goes beyond Geno, *ing Waluigi would have been a better pick than Banjo. I'm glad that he's just a ****ty Mario semi-clone that'll never amount to anything competitively because I ****ing hate looking at him and hearing his sound effects and his music. He was added as nothing more than yet another "look at us, we went to our direct competitor and shilled their console so we could pretend to appeal to fans but actually we just wanted to turn heads and be a media sensation", but blinded by nostalgia for an objectively awful pair of video games you guys think they finally listened to the fans for once. It's sad. And for the record? Geno could be the next three characters and I'd still feel this way about Banjo. * him and **** his fans.

Terry is a genuine enigma and I'm glad they added him. Byleth needs no explanation.

I've said so many times that the DLC for Ultimate is about characters who have mechanics that are really unique. Joker has a semi-uncontrollable limit gauge that turns him from Sheik to Ganondorf, Hero has a whole ass spells menu, Banjo has... nothing really special, honestly. I guess the neutral B is unique but not really useful. Terry has fighting game inputs with a meter equivalent built in and Byleth is a Fire Emblem character with blue hair without a counter (who finally represents the variety of weapons available in the game). Min Min is like what if Mega Man's projectiles couldn't be reflected and Steve is so far out of the realm of plausible that he literally doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast. It really did feel like this was the development mindset, to make experiences unique to each character and put something special in the game, "and where did that bring you?"

Anime Swordsman: Back to me.

Seriously, they went out of their way to get the most iconic Final Fantasy villain right next to *ing Kefka, put him and the full length of his massive tool in the game only to give him a ****ing counter. They're out of ideas and they clearly don't give a damn about unique characters or characters that are pushing the limit of the game's balance. * me for being wrong about the one thing that would have spelt something good for Smash's future. They just want to turn heads or shill their own ****.

In the end, Ovaltine is right - this isn't on Square, this is on Nintendo. Nintendo didn't go to Square and say "gimme Geno" only for Square to say "Cloud first", they went to Square and said "gimme Cloud" and Square said "he's kind of old". This situation didn't happen with a single Square character. Nintendo asked for who we got and we got them. Nintendo ****ing hates the fact that Mario can be more than vapid platforming save the princess haha funny plumber fireballs go plt plt. They hate that Mario and his universe can be the vehicle of heartwarming stories with quirky dialogue that can evoke actual emotion from real humans, and above all, their pride as a company hates the fact that one of the most popular Mario characters of all time wasn't made by them. They never want us to be able to play as Geno again. Call it dooming all you want, it's the ****ing God's honest truth. If Nintendo wanted Geno, we would have had him three times by now.

That's what makes this **** sting even more. I've brought it up in the past but I'll bring it up again - there was an interview, long ago, where Sakurai said that he doesn't like to string people along or play with their expectations. Well, that was a ****ing lie because it is undeniable that our expectations have been played with and we've been strung along. If this was the plan all along then just put the ****ing Geno costume back in the game with Hero and end our ****ing misery. Let us ****ing rest from this endless speculation and harassment from internet randos and ****ing paid professionals moonlighting as insiders. Whoever's making these decisions up at Nintendo can rot in the deepest pit in hell for playing with the emotions of this fanbase and letting us be the whipping boys of an entire community. Thinking about it, hell's probably too nice of a place for them.

I hope Wynn is riding high right about now, he's a king and should be exalted like one.

And why do I want to throw Ultimate in the garbage and delete my account? Because Smash has changed. The future I imagined back in Melee was one in which Nintendo characters and maybe third party characters relevant to Nintendo's storied history would be added in droves to make this perfect dream fighting game... But we've gotten almost the exact opposite. Characters that mean nothing to Nintendo and in some cases have barely appeared on a Nintendo console get added in and the world goes ape**** for them, just a byproduct of the corruption of the wish that everyone liked video games.

As it stands right now, I look at the roster and it makes me *ing angry. Who the hell is Bayonetta? Corrin? Piranha Plant? Incineroar? Joker? Byleth? Why the hell did someone photoshop Minecraft Steve onto this character select screen and make me accept it as real? I just can't with this *. The pandemic has robbed me of the joys that Smash brought into my life and they can't be replaced with the shoddy online, and even when it inevitably ends and things can return to normal, the damage of the character picks is going to remain. The world is give and take, and I feel like all I've gotten is the "take" half of it. All I have to look forward to in the Smash section of my life is going back to a tournament in which a bunch of zoomers are playing ****ing Steve and Sans Undertale and I've gotten a big fat goose egg when it comes to characters I want that can balance out this nightmare. I don't want to suffer hearing Steve's victory screen when I can't move that cursor on the character select screen over to someone that I genuinely begged to have added to the game. I just don't want to put up with it. Again, if you can't understand my sentiments here, whatever, you just won't ever understand it.

I just want to put all of this behind me and pretend I never cared. I'm tired of losing and I'd rather pretend that I won.

Once again, this image that I saved all the way back in the grinch days haunts me. It was real all along, obviously provided by a time traveler.
View attachment 295113
To start off, I respect your effort for typing something so long.

However, I do not understand a lot of what you’ve said. While I understand the disappointment in stuff you don’t like nor care about, do you really gotta act like everyone who disagrees is a dumb or bad individual, like what you said about Banjo fans? Heck, the people you’re angry about had to put up with a lot of crap, too, not just Geno fans. Banjo-Kazooie fans (and the games are good imo but I respect if you don’t like them), Steve and Minecraft fans...whether you’re a boomer or a zoomer, there’s a chance you’ve had to deal with entitled brats from either age group or both from any fanbase (and very likely this one), shouting at you about how your character and game sucks while theirs is oh-so much better objectively, instead of just admitting they don’t like it and, for whatever reason, have unbridled rage for those that do, because they can’t just let people enjoy something they don’t like, even if who they’re mad at also likes what they do like.

And a lot of people from the different age groups like both new and old things; some zoomers like B-K and Geno, etc., some boomers like Steve etc....

I guess I’ll just never understand these kind of mindsets; they just seem hateful and selfish to me, way too overly negative, and not only do they feel bothersome, but it’s at a point where they kinda just make me sad to see...

And it’s all over videogames. As much as I get attached to games etc. and characters I love, still...

But I guess I’ll just never understand.

I still respect you, Serenade; I just think a lot of that sounds unreasonable and uncalled for...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You can similar things about characters like Isaac and Krystal, who have also been requested since the Brawl era as Geno has.

It's just that...none of them are important enough to Nintendo to be prioritised.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is going to sound insensitive right now, but i do think it needs pointing out:

To anyone really THAT mad over this to the point they feel they have to attack others, please take a breath and remember that as much as we all love it, this is a gaming community and not a mafia family. No one has to get whacked here and if this is causing you any extreme grief, the best thing you can do is realize it's all a game and not worth it. If you feel hurt, please take some time to rest, re adjust, and let it pass. Life goes on. It really does. We will all be ok. i promise you. :geno:
Tell that to Twitter.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok! Good day Genobros/sisters, and guests! Pondering a bit more after seeing the reveal of Sephiroth and its implications for the remainder of Fighters Pass Vol. 2, a few things came up that are worth to note.

In the first Fighters Pass, four out of the five DLC fighters came from series that were yet to be represented in Smash; except Byleth who hails from the Fire Emblem series. True, in the reveal, the crossover they showed was "x Fire Emblem: Three Houses"; that game specifically, but it's still Fire Emblem. Now here on Fighters Pass Vol. 2, we got Sephiroth whom is another character hailing from a series that was already represented in Smash; Final Fantasy (specifically Final Fantasy VII). Sure, one could argue that Min Min was the first case of a DLC fighter from an already represented series in Smash since in Ultimate's base game we had ARMS spritis, Mii Costumes, and Spring Man as an Assist Trophy, so that would make Sephiroth the third DLC fighter from a series already represented in Smash, and the second within Fighters Pass Vol. 2. This reiterates the possibility that among the remaining DLC fighters, we might get some from series already represented in Smash; minus the ones already represented yet again via the first and second Fighters Pass (Fire Emblem, ARMS, Final Fantasy). Going off by this line of thought however, there's a great number of series already represented in Smash which could receive another fighter; most notably those that have few characters (although Byleth came as an addition to an already over-represented imo series). Currently series that seem rather under-represented in Smash (going off by characters within the game and excluding DLC ones) we have,
  • Yoshi (although technically a series branching off from the Super Mario universe, but it's considered separately within Smash)
  • F-ZERO
  • Ice Climber
  • Game & Watch
  • Wario Ware (similar case to Yoshi's)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Pikmin
  • R.O.B. (although it's not really a game series)
  • Mega Man
  • Wii Fit
  • Punch-Out
  • PAC-MAN
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Duck Hunt
  • Street Fighter
  • Bayonetta
  • Splatoon
  • Castlevania
Despite these series having very few fighters, some mitigate said representation via the inclusion of Spirits, Mii Costumes, and music tracks. It would also within negotiating terms be less of a risk to work with existing collaborators, rather than having too many of them. Sephiroth's inclusion reminded me of that. As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice pointed out in a post earlier, Sephiroth as CP 8 does give Square Enix more material to justify making more profit out of (with all of the Final Fantasy games there are, the music, the characters; all worthy additional content material). There are still three more Challenger Packs to be announced at a later date (the next perhaps coming around some time in March or April if no significant setbacks occur), so those could all be from new series, or not, and perhaps more likely one Nintendo IP yet to be represented in Smash (or that already is).

Moving onto the topic of what appeared to be a new Final Smash being used by an already existing, base game character; Cloud. Again, I hope Sakurai provides some clarification on that detail that was shown off in the trailer. Is Omnislash Ver. 5 Cloud's new Final Smash? Is it a second Final Smash? Is it a Final Smash exclusive to 1 v 1 fights against Sephiroth? Is it part of Sephiroth's Final Smash, in which perhaps he later transitions into his final form? That bit of the reveal trailer alone opens up a lot of questions and possibilities. New Final Smashes. I'm still a bit unconvinced about the addition of new Final Smashes but, not knowing what Omnislash Ver. 5 is has kept me thinking. With this another thought came to mind and one that had been forgotten after the first few DLC version updates; additional content and modes. Within the first few Challenger Packs of the first pass, we got new content in the form of Stage Builder, Video Editor, Home-Run Contest; quite some notable additional features. After that however, no substantial additional content came along with the other Challenger Packs... yet. Could there be more additional content in the form of modes, or additions to existing modes coming in the future within one of the remaining Challenger Packs? Only time will tell.

Lastly, we return to Geno. Even with Sephiroth's reveal yesterday, something about Geno's likelihood still feels rather off. His Mii Costume has yet to appear in Smash; maybe it may come along with the Mii Costume wave coinciding with CP 8, however seeing how Hero's was handled, it seems otherwise. One possibility and surely one many are bracing for, or expecting as of yesterday is that of Geno coming back as a Mii Costume, albeit this time it would most likely be a premium one, with the costume resembling more the actual character (especially the face). If that ends up being the outcome, imo, it's fine. Mii Gunner has some attacks that do resemble some of Geno's, and I think that so long as the Mii Costume looks as close and exact as the real deal would, would make the outcome more tolerable. Yet, despite this outcome seeming as the most likely, I can't help but feel that... there may still be the possibility of Geno's Mii Costume not appearing on this upcoming Mii Costume wave. If that happens, the speculation for his inclusion will take quite the interesting turn. Yes, detractors will jump on the bandwagon that the character was simply forgotten, but that line of though does not coincide with what Sakurai has expressed in the past regarding Geno; he wanted him in Smash since Brawl. He was able to make a Mii Costume out of him in Smash 4. He was brought into Ultimate as a Legendary class Spirit, yet... no Mii Costume? If the Mii Costume remains absent after next Thursday, we might be looking at the possible scenario of bonus characters actually coming to fruition post pass. I reiterate, it could be a strengthened possibility. What would add more weight to that is the fact that there are still some missing Mii Costumes, including Lloyd's.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
There are three points I disagree with, The Banjo point, the Byleth point, and the Min Min point.

Sakurai to me was enthusiastic about Banjo and has shown support for him over the years, so that's why I disagree with that point entirely.

Byleth I feel like was in development for the base game, but got pushed back, Nintendo most certainly pushed for it, but not in the way you mentioned.

Sakurai wanted Arms in the base game, kinda obvious, and he asked Arms creative director who he wanted, he wanted Min Min. Sakurai wanted Ninjara
I forgot about the Ninjara bit! It may be true he wanted ARMS, but it just felt a little more "shilly" than how he presented, say, Terry or Hero.

TheBeastHimself

This was the time, man. It's Mario's 35th anniversary, every game that Nintendo actively supports either has gotten or will be getting a Mario themed content update. Like Fatman pointed out, every month for a hot minute they've released some Mario item or game to purchase. A Mario themed online open is taking place this weekend and took place last weekend. There's an event tourney called beware the mushrooms. Geoff had the ****ing audacity to open up with that god damned everyone is here line like the character that we were about to see was really and truly completing this roster. If you can't see that we're being purposefully taken for a ride then I don't think there's any prescription lenses that can assist you. This hope is exactly what Nintendo wants from us because it keeps us coming back. I'm done feeding them that hope.
It's clear you've lost hope. Fair enough. But let others who have hope stay positive. It's not your call to tell other people how they should feel, or that staying positive is an ultimately bad thing. Let other people have fun. It just seems like you're here to intentionally kill everyone's mood so that we can all feel how you are. It's not your call to make how other people feel about Geno's chances.

HanSoloIndie

Smash Cadet
Personally, my top list for a Square Rep went like this (in a nutshell):
1) Geno - Duh, this is the Geno thread. I personally love Geno for his cool design, lore, and gameplay in SMRPG.
2) Sephiroth - Iconic villain in video game history, awesome boss fight music, brings a 3rd party villain.
3) Neku - Niche series with a comeback that originated from the Nintendo DS, has potential for unique mechanics.
4) Crono - Favorite SNES icon among many RPG fans, but I don't know him much.
5) Sora - Not overly fond of the KH series, but I understand why people want him so much.
6) Laura Croft (my least favorite candidate)
Since Sephiroth's announcement, I liked his trailer and whatnot, but I would've really liked to see Geno. Not saying he's out of the running, he still is. There's just too much evidence suggesting to me that he won't be a fighter. Sure, Sephiroth is here (and One Winged Angel!), but I noticed how Square is with music. How the heck would a (Deluxe) mii costume from Square have the theoretical Beware of the Forest Mushrooms + Fight Against An Armed Boss music from the takedowns in one package. We're lucky enough to get two songs for Cloud and each version of Hero, and even Geno's mii itself in SSB4. If it was one song, fine. I know Square Enix and Nintendo have improved their relationship, but Square Enix still is wary of what they lease. And that's not even getting into the implications of the Cacomalllow leak. That has still has not been explicitly disproven, until the Judgement Day that is next week.

On a positive note, who would you guys like to remix SMRPG music in Smash?

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
The funny thing is: I don’t care. Really. I truly and genuinely do not care. I love smash and Geno and conversing with others in this thread but honestly if someone is that legitimately pissed off they want to delete their account or whatever that’s fine. It really doesn’t bother me at all. It seems like you are under the impression that everyone in the thread is equally insecure as to be worried about “making Geno fans look bad”. But the thing is it doesn’t matter. Regardless of how we comport ourselves we’re still the whipping boy/low hanging fruit for ridicule from people in the community looking for easy clout. We could have all been pleasant little percys yesterday and someone somewhere would have found a reason to come into the thread and call us cringe. Maybe instead of psychoanalyzing and condescending a thread you could go outside and throw a football or something.
I see what you mean with the "Why wear a raincoat if you're already wet" mentality here but you must surely remember that even if people do twist our words and intentions, it still falls to us to handle the situation with some level of class and maturity, Just because people may think of you one way no matter what doesn't preclude you from trying your best regardless.

Not saying you haven't been doing that, im just hoping you aren't advocating any wreckless behavior in saying there's no point.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Personally, my top list for a Square Rep went like this:
1) Geno - Duh, this is the Geno thread. I personally love Geno for his cool design, lore, and gameplay in SMRPG.
2) Sephiroth
3) Neku
4) Crono
5) Sora
6) Laura Croft (my least favorite candidate)
Since Sephiroth's announcement, I liked his trailer and whatnot, but I would've really liked to see Geno. Not saying he's out of the running, he still is. There's just too much evidence suggesting to me that he won't be a fighter. Sure, Sephiroth is here (and One Winged Angel!), but I noticed how Square is with music. How the heck would a (Deluxe) mii costume from Square have the theoretical Beware of the Forest Mushrooms + Fight Against An Armed Boss music from the takedowns in one package. We're lucky enough to get two songs for Cloud and each version of Hero, and even Geno's mii itself in SSB4. If it was one song, fine. I know Square Enix and Nintendo have improved their relationship, but Square Enix still is wary of what they lease. And that's not even getting into the implications of the Cacomalllow leak. That has still has not been explicitly disproven, until the Judgement Day that is next week.

On a positive note, who would you guys like to remix SMRPG music in Smash?
Yoko Shimomura of course, and Grant Kirkhope getting to remix a track as well.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

You have what I like to call "Toxic Optimism", it's what I was trying to get across in my post here:

My post before came from a reoccurring problem I've run into with this particular sect of the Smash fanbase. You aren't allowed to have lowered expectations, you're labelled a doomer and you're told to shut up and stop "ruining the hype". I stop no one from wanting to enjoy themselves, but even trying to bring up the possibility of things maybe not working up is met with hostility and spite because how dare I not expect the moon and the earth to be handed to me.

I'll confess my previous post may have come off as a bit ruder than I intended but I've gotten so tired of being kicked around for not following the herd mentality, especially in Genocord. There's always the possibility of things not working out, how many times have the stars aligned for us only for the rug to be yanked out from under us? I say "Hype Responsibly" not because I want to ruin your fun, I say it because I truly hate to see everyone here and in Genocord get disappointed and sad, and it just keeps happening... because ya'll don't deserve to be yanked around like this.
You act like anyone who isn't on the same level as hype as you are as some kind of enemy that needs to be silenced. You're acting like the captain who must go down with the ship while shaming the crewmen for taking a lifeboat. Hell, you called Papagenos a "doomer" for the crime of just saying "Well we had a fun ride"

I'll admit my last post was ruder than it should have been and I apologize for that, but honestly the way you act is everything wrong with Smash hype. I've run into this toxic optimism time and time again, when people only want to consider one possibility and anyone who speaks differently just needs to "sit down, shut up, and stop ruining the fun"

Look at you now, picking fights with anyone who wants to just move on because you feel this need to defend Geno's honor.

At the end of the day this is just a video game man, not a war you need to win....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom