• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing that it’s just me not having any attachments to Mii. I certainly would not put Sakurai and Nintendo on blast for Geno. If Geno is a costume, I’ll just move on. I’ll certainly would suggest though that if there is a highly requested character they know isn’t going to be playable, I rather have them rip off the band aid so it doesn’t drive us crazy like they did with Waluigi.

I’ll always be glad Geno gets recognition but there will always maybe a feel like a gut punch. That’s just me though. Nobody here in the thread as I know of waited for the Mii costume, but it’s fine that they’ll take what they get or happy whatever the results.
Yeah, I get ya. I love the Mii Fighters. I was confused at their designs at first. I didn't realize that a MIi was always designed to play based directly on the specific game they're in. They're 100% generic avatars on their own, but have special differences. This is why they're actual representations of avatars instead of a Wii Sports/etc. reference. That'd also explain why Miis are separated NPC's.

Anyway, I'd rather they did that too. Frankly, if Geno is a costume, I'd have rather gotten it much earlier. Banjo & Kazooie would've been a good time to do so. Hero is justified due to a marketing reason, but come on. Albeit, that also means that where he shows up would require negotiations/agreements, so I can understand it being waited upon if it returns. And to be honest, he might return as a costume after Geno is playable. We don't have any knowledge of any scrapped returning costume either. "More sales" is a good reason for it even. I do think he's likely "one or the other", but eh. Now if Chocobo Hat is scrapped, I'd be surprised. However, if Geno is playable, they might've not decided to re-license the other two costumes at that point. It'd cost more money for Nintendo to do that, and arguably they don't get as much benefit as Square-Enix would when it comes to the revenue gotten from downloads. Overall, whatever gets both good profit, they'd probably do.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno's Mii costume is the only playable Geno representation that I'm given, then of course I'll buy it - it's a major step up from the spirit, since I can actually see it during proper gameplay. I think I've said this before, but my biggest issue with the Mii fighters - aside from the 'hat' characters that look like the characters' heads just perched on your Mii's head - is that the actual Mii fighters don't really have enough variety in their movesets for my liking.

I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this part before, but an easy solution that doesn't involve coming up with tons of different specials is literally just letting the existing moves be used by any class of Mii - or just getting rid of the class system altogether. That alone would add much more variety and help the ability to represent characters more effectively - an example I think I mentioned before was having a Brawler mii that's mostly physical but with the Gunner's Final Smash to act as a Goku moveset.

The only issue I could think of would possibly be hitbox problems coming from giving Swordfighter moves to a Mii with a sword-less costume, but that could be solved by just spawning a generic sword model for the duration of that attack, couldn't it?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Geno's Mii costume is the only playable Geno representation that I'm given, then of course I'll buy it - it's a major step up from the spirit, since I can actually see it during proper gameplay. I think I've said this before, but my biggest issue with the Mii fighters - aside from the 'hat' characters that look like the characters' heads just perched on your Mii's head - is that the actual Mii fighters don't really have enough variety in their movesets for my liking.

I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this part before, but an easy solution that doesn't involve coming up with tons of different specials is literally just letting the existing moves be used by any class of Mii - or just getting rid of the class system altogether. That alone would add much more variety and help the ability to represent characters more effectively - an example I think I mentioned before was having a Brawler mii that's mostly physical but with the Gunner's Final Smash to act as a Goku moveset.

The only issue I could think of would possibly be hitbox problems coming from giving Swordfighter moves to a Mii with a sword-less costume, but that could be solved by just spawning a generic sword model for the duration of that attack, couldn't it?
I like the idea of making some special more universal, but it'd be worse to have only one moveset. You couldn't represent different archtypes at all, which is the purpose behind them in the first place.

The problem also is that a lot of special moves are hard-designed for very specific classes, though admittedly a lot look weird either way. Gunners with some like a ray gun-like weapon doing Samus' Up Smash lookalike? It barely fits. The Armguns look great, however.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Still a coincidence
Okay, seriously, I know I said a while back to hype responsibly, but with everything that's come up recently...

The Seven Stars Lane leak?
The Beware the Mushrooms tournament?
Sakurai stating after Steve's release that he was looking forward to the next reveal?

Guys, I can't help but feel like it's finally happening, and he's coming very soon.
When did sakurai said he was looking forward to the next character?
A column?
Source your stuff,dammit.
Anyways, i doubt geno would be a tga.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Ya know, if geno is next...
we would’ve had a second e3 in a row with a Microsoft rep and a square rep announced had the world not. Ya know
I will forever hold that if Geno truly is in, the sheer fact that Ridley, Banjo and Geno would be revealed in successive E3s was too much for the universe to handle and it went all haywire to prevent the impossible.

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
When a character becomes playable, they get their own section in Character Discussion, and their support thread is moved to it. Steve has one already, of course, and he did have a support thread that was moved there.

So, if Geno becomes playable, the same will happen to him and this thread.

Thank you very much for the link! :)

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
By your logic wouldn't this make Geno less likely. Because all the DLC fighters have had a tie in tournament released alongside them, yet we have a Geno reference in a tournament and Geno is nowhere to be seen.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
DLC newcomers have had themed tournaments happen AFTER they have released. Challenger Pack #8 hasn't even been revealed yet. If Geno is coming, I doubt they'd make a themed tournament BEFORE he was revealed, let alone before he was released. The naming for this event is peculiar indeed, but people might be reading into it too much.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know you’re too deep into smash speculation when you start dreaming of smash speculation.
Speaking of which, I had a dream a few days ago that Crash got in and everyone here on Smashboards was talking about it celebrating. Didn't see the trailer for Crash though I saw everyone talking about his inclusion.

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Geno Claus is coming to town
He knows when you're sleeping! He knows when you're awake! He knows when you've been bandwagoning or not so be good for goodness sake!

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
You're right Mr.Judd but what were the 2 missing Online tournys IDs?
A tourney that should've started in September 4th and a Tourney meant to be hosted a month after Byleth. The first one was right when we should've gotten a Mario event, and the events that came before and after are very interesting...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Would have looked earlier but I was too busy beating Bloodborne, the events name in English is Fungi Fever.

https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/40ddcf3d/index.html?

Straight off the ingame website.
Which shows they could have named it literally anything else in Japanese but someone possibly decided to be a cheeky little **** about it.

By your logic wouldn't this make Geno less likely. Because all the DLC fighters have had a tie in tournament released alongside them, yet we have a Geno reference in a tournament and Geno is nowhere to be seen.
No because the actual themed tournaments focus on characteristics that the DLC characters actually have:

Hero: Heroes and villains

Banjo: "team" characters like Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Olimar

Terry: 1 v 1 stamina fights on Omega stages

Byleth: characters with bows, lances, and axes

Min Min: characters with physical grabs and punch pummels

Steve: Characters that use "tools"

If anything, Geno's themed tournament will probably be projectile or gun based.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

continues laughing maniacally as the mind sinks further into speculation for the upcoming days

Hmhmhmhmhm! So it has come to this. A vision came to me last night. During The Game Awards, there would indeed be two reveals; Geno, and Doom Guy. The order of reveal is rather hazy, but one was announced to become available that very moment, while the other in the near future. Such a vision recalls E3 2019's dual Smash reveals of Hero, and Banjo & Kazooie.
  • 2019 = Hero (Square Enix), and Banjo & Kazooie (Microsoft/Rare)
  • 2020 = Geno (Square Enix), Doom Guy (Bethesda/Id Software, and now Microsoft owned)
Could TGA 2020 have become a venue for Nintendo to mirror an E3 2019 dual Smash reveal? Huhuhuhuhu, only time will tell. THE TIME IS NIGH!!!!

Is helplessly lost and too far gone to be saved.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Which shows they could have named it literally anything else in Japanese but someone possibly decided to be a cheeky little **** about it.

No because the actual themed tournaments focus on characteristics that the DLC characters actually have:

Hero: Heroes and villains

Banjo: "team" characters like Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Olimar

Terry: 1 v 1 stamina fights on Omega stages

Byleth: characters with bows, lances, and axes

Min Min: characters with physical grabs and punch pummels

Steve: Characters that use "tools"

If anything, Geno's themed tournament will probably be projectile or gun based.
and apart from Geno and Megaman, you could probably include Joker and Bayonetta on the list of characters that use guns. Diddy Kong I suppose could count due to his peanut pistols

D

Deleted member

Maybe I'm just not creative at all, but I can't really come up with a good theme for an online tourney for Geno. "Oops all Guns" feels like it'd be a bit too on the nose, approaching parody... But then again, Min Min's tournament essentially summed up to "fighters who have arms" and managed to exclude 90% of the roster...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If they wanted to phone it in to the umpteenth degree they could just make Geno's tournament Mario and Square Enix characters.

Anyways, last night just added more annoyance to the whole situation:

-Except June, there's been a Mario 35 major announcement of some kind each month since March.

-Except June, there's been a Mario 35 release of some kind every month since April whether its DLC or a retail release. People may not realize it but the retail releases have been every month since July.

-The Mario 35 celebration got extended until April 2021 and February already has something scheduled. December, January , and March currently have nothing aside from events.

-It's pretty clear that they're now doing events that were supposed to happen in September so, in theory, stuff that was supposed to release in September but didn't should at least be announced this month. We've already gone in-depth about this so I'll spare you all.

-We're already a week and a half into the month and, with Christmas and New Years the last two weeks, we're arguably down to the last 10 days they could realistically announce something before the end of year unless they decide to just totally jump the shark.

MattX20

Smash Hero
You guys remember the tweets Sakurai makes referencing games.

Really stretching this. Tinfoil at its best.
Not our fault Nintendo of Japan decided to title the recent tournament so similarly to an iconic music track from Super Mario RPG. As Fatman said yesterday, it's a big "OH COME THE F#%* ON" moment in a year full of them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

We know it's a coincidence and like half a dozen of us have out right said that. It's just been an incredibly frustrating year for this fanbase:

-SMRPG still missing on the NSO.

-Geno Mii costume still missing.

-Smash Bros Legacy XP shuts down in March. Creators say they can't openly talk about why. The mod is most known for having Geno, Waluigi, Shadow, and Metal Sonic.

-Mario 35th anniversary. As my last post showed, there's been Mario announcements every month except June. Ideally, you would think that if Geno was in the game, this would be the ideal year to announce him because of this but we've also had an extra three months tacked on because of a once in a lifetime pandemic...

-Gamestop **** up in July. Even if it was an honest mistake, GameStop's PR handled it so comically bad that it raised suspicions of even the most skeptical people.

-SMRPG Remake/Remaster/Sequel rumors are first heard in April, goes public in September.

-Literally less than a month after a bunch of insiders openly yucked it up and teased Min Min coming to Smash, most of them start talking about Geno in Smash before the July Partner Showcase.

This has been a rolling thing this entire year.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Keep in mind we are potentially talking about employees with different modes of thinking and priorities than the rest of us. Its entirely possible that the Japanese title is just an affectionate shout out by someone in the company who likes the game and isn't aware of the implications such a title would be to many fans. If there's one thing I've learned in the past couple of years its that "Nintendo must know what this looks like" is very often "actually, no they don't or simply don't care".

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord

We know it's a coincidence and like half a dozen of us have out right said that. It's just been an incredibly frustrating year for this fanbase:

Isn’t this the first console that Nintendo haven’t put mario RPG on since it’s release. It’s been on like every console that wasn’t a hand held console like the ds/3ds.

I would find it strange for them to negotiate with square to have it on every console and then leave it off the 2nd best selling console.

They’re deffo doing something with Mario RPG.

-SMRPG still missing on the NSO.

-Geno Mii costume still missing.

-Smash Bros Legacy XP shuts down in March. Creators say they can't openly talk about why. The mod is most known for having Geno, Waluigi, Shadow, and Metal Sonic.

-Mario 35th anniversary. As my last post showed, there's been Mario announcements every month except June. Ideally, you would think that if Geno was in the game, this would be the ideal year to announce him because of this but we've also had an extra three months tacked on because of a once in a lifetime pandemic...

-Gamestop **** up in July. Even if it was an honest mistake, GameStop's PR handled it so comically bad that it raised suspicions of even the most skeptical people.

-SMRPG Remake/Remaster/Sequel rumors are first heard in April, goes public in September.

-Literally less than a month after a bunch of insiders openly yucked it up and teased Min Min coming to Smash, most of them start talking about Geno in Smash before the July Partner Showcase.

This has been a rolling thing this entire year.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

We may be stretching it a little, but keep in mind the numerous other instances Sakurai has teased or hinted at characters:
1. In Greninja's trailer in Smash 4, their was a cloud in the shape of a 2D PAC-MAN. Two months after that trailer we get PAC-MAN revealed.
2. Before the 8/8/18 Direct, Sakurai stated he had one red eye after the making of this video, which is obviously a cross reference between the Castlevania track, "Bloody Tears" and King K. Rool's literal one red eye. In that very direct, both Simon\Richter and King K. Rool were revealed.
3. In the Version 3.0 update video where they showcased Joker and Stage Builder, their were two stages that obviously hinted at our two E3 reveals. One was of a dragon which is an obvious reference to Dragon Quest, and another was of a green witch, who bared a striking resemblance to Gruntilda from Banjo-Kazooie. Fast forward to E3, and these characters just so happened to be our E3 reveals.

I'm not denying that we may be stretching it a bit, but their is precedence their that Sakurai occasionally hints and teases at upcoming fighters that I can't truly say with full confidence that this is a coincidence.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
idk where you all heard Sora showing up at TGA but even as a sora fan, thats pure grade BS
The fact that we're now roughly a day away from the VGAs and Nintendo hasn't even acknowledged its existence yet further solidifies in my mind that people expecting a life-changing showing of Nintendo are likely going to be hard disappointed.

Everyone one else the past week: "Tune into the VGAs on December 10th as we announce new stuff!"

Nintendo of America today:

"Enjoy our compost pile."

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The fact that we're now roughly a day away from the VGAs and Nintendo hasn't even acknowledged its existence yet further solidifies in my mind that people expecting a life-changing showing of Nintendo are likely going to be hard disappointed.

Everyone one else the past week: "Tune into the VGAs on December 10th as we announce new stuff!"

They really goes for anyone. People are expecting their characters at TGA and thats just a load.

and TBH, that leaf art looks really cool

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, I have to admit, those are some nice

leaves

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
ahem

Actually, ladies and gentlemen, if you could so kindly turn on your Nintendo Switch and select the News icon, please scroll down to the article with a thumbnail of The Game Awards (dated 11/24/2020). In said news article, Nintendo congratulates the nominees for this year's awards and encourages to stay tuned to the event. Nintendo has already acknowledged the event plus, albeit no longer part of Nintendo, Reggie's presenting so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom