• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The Doom Eternal situation is weird as all hell. Clearly SOMETHING is going on since the game was delisted from both Amazon and Best Buy but is still up on other places like Gamestop. I don't really know what is going on with it, some people are saying it might be going digital only but like...why?

EDIT: Something else to note, the Capcom leak has two Switch games dated for February 2021, a new Ghost and Goblins game and something named Arcade Stadium, both of which seem to be timed exclusives. Another "leaked game that needs to be announced soonish" to add to the list.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Bethesda released a PR statement regarding the cancellation of DOOM Eternal pre-orders. It seems that the game will be coming as a digital-only release.
But...why? It's not even a size thing, Eternal was actually smaller on consoles than 2016 was. Weird.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The good bit about that statement is that according to them, "DOOM Eternal is 100% on track for an imminent digital-only release on Nintendo Switch." Them confirming that more information will be coming later this month does sound like they'll be either doing an individual announcement in regards to this matter or... said announcement could be included in a... Nintendo Direct before the end of November? 👀

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Bethesda released a PR statement regarding the cancellation of DOOM Eternal pre-orders. It seems that the game will be coming as a digital-only release.
Is Bethesda deciding to be cheap and/or cut costs? With how long this port was in development, maybe that is the reason. Regardless, this kind of stinks. If the download size isnt that big, then it won't be that big of a deal but I was planning on getting this physical.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The good bit about that statement is that according to them, "DOOM Eternal is 100% on track for an imminent digital-only release on Nintendo Switch." Them confirming that more information will be coming later this month does sound like they'll be either doing an individual announcement in regards to this matter or... said announcement could be included in a... Nintendo Direct before the end of November? 👀
That's actually a super good point. This kind of digital only release is EXACTLY the kind of thing they would (and have) drop as part of a direct. Infact back in March one of the super suspicious things that happened about a day before the Mini Shadowdrop was Jedi Academy getting leaked as a shadowdrop. They wouldn't just drop this on the eshop alone, and if they are saying it's imminent and with more info LATER THIS MONTH...
6bee543781f4953193de1c9ad58b8ed3.png

"increasingly nervous man terrified over the possibility of being wrong about the logistics of the timing of childrens video game announcements.png"

EDIT: Also, still no new SNES Online Games this month, hmmm. I still think I was on the money in terms of not getting anything before Age of Calamity, but there's nothing stopping something next week. Here's to hoping I guess.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Part of me wonders if Doom Eternal is going to get a release from Limited Run. Doom 64 just got one, so it’s not like Bethesda can’t work with them. Maybe they’re not confident enough in physical sales? Or maybe they’re just pulling the old “get them to buy digital and then hit them with FOMO on a limited physical so we can get that sweet double dip”.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Part of me wonders if Doom Eternal is going to get a release from Limited Run. Doom 64 just got one, so it’s not like Bethesda can’t work with them. Maybe they’re not confident enough in physical sales? Or maybe they’re just pulling the old “get them to buy digital and then hit them with FOMO on a limited physical so we can get that sweet double dip”.
Maybe? Bethesda doesn't seem like the kind of company to do that though, and the fact they've flat out cancelled the physical edition so close to release screams otherwise. Infact, from what I can tell, Bethesda hasn't released a physical Switch game since Doom and Skyrim in 2017. Wolfenstien 2 was digital only with a download code physical version, Youngblood was only digital, and I don't think any of the classic Doom ports got physical releases either.

So I've been a bit of a pessimist when it comes to direct stuff for the past few months (even just yesterday) mostly just because I didn't think Nintendo doing a major direct really made sense with how they were going about things (and I stand by that being correct because being honest basically everything has played about how I expected to over the last few months). But with all the stuff we learned this week it feels like we are at this weird breaking point where SOMETHING has to materialize soon to the extent that it does kinda feel like the mythical "silver bullet" I've been looking for.

• No more Partner Showcases this year, those were abruptly shelved in October.
  • Nintendo has been on a hiatus from any major announcments over the last 3 weeks, clearly on a break period after the July-October dump.
And yet, we're still sitting on a pretty large pile of games that are either unannounced or lacking release dates that seem to be out sooner than later.

• Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, listed for March
  • Persona 5 Scamble listed for English Release February 23rd
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 were once again recently listed, except as seperate Switch releases despite them being one package at the Switch launch in Japan
  • Skyward Sword HD listed by Amazon in August
  • Square started ANOTHER TWEWY countdown that ends Sunday Night, all signs point towards it finally being TWEWY 2 unless Square has actually gone off the deep end.
  • Doom Eternal delisted, then confirmed as a digital only game with an IMMINENT release with more info later this month, aka next week (and why not just clear up all the confusion by announcing the release date right now if you're going to tell us next week? Saving it for something perhaps?)
  • Capcom ransomware leaks confirm 2 games for February, Ghost and Goblins RE for the 25th and Arcade Stadium on the 18th. Both are timed Switch exclusives.
So... yeah. Combine that with the still suspicious maintenance from Monday, a lack of any first party games dated for 2021 aside from 3D World (and we still have no clue what Bowser's Fury is), the new round of Switch SKU's and a clear two week period before the Game Awards with nothing getting in the way, I might be starting to believe. Just a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
So I've been a bit of a pessimist when it comes to direct stuff for the past few months (even just yesterday) mostly just because I didn't think Nintendo doing a major direct really made sense with how they were going about things (and I stand by that being correct because being honest basically everything has played about how I expected to over the last few months). But with all the stuff we learned this week it feels like we are at this weird breaking point where SOMETHING has to materialize soon to the extent that it does kinda feel like the mythical "silver bullet" I've been looking for.

• No more Partner Showcases this year, those were abruptly shelved in October.
  • Nintendo has been on a hiatus from any major announcments over the last 3 weeks, clearly on a break period after the July-October dump.
And yet, we're still sitting on a pretty large pile of games that are either unannounced or lacking release dates that seem to be out sooner than later.

• Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, listed for March
  • Persona 5 Scamble listed for English Release February 23rd
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 were once again recently listed, except as seperate Switch releases despite them being one package at the Switch launch in Japan
  • Skyward Sword HD listed by Amazon in August
  • Square started ANOTHER TWEWY countdown that ends Sunday Night, all signs point towards it finally being TWEWY 2 unless Square has actually gone off the deep end.
  • Doom Eternal delisted, then confirmed as a digital only game with an IMMINENT release with more info later this month, aka next week.
  • Capcom ransomware leaks confirm 2 games for February, Ghost and Goblins RE for the 25th and Arcade Stadium on the 18th. Both are timed Switch exclusives.
So... yeah. Combine that with the still suspicious maintenance from Monday, a lack of any first party games dated for 2021 aside from 3D World (and we still have no clue what Bowser's Fury is), the new round of Switch SKU's and a clear two week period before the Game Awards with nothing getting in the way, I might be starting to believe. Just a bit.
If we get a Direct by som mythical chance I'll be over the moon.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
While a direct would be very much appreciated, extremely so considering the downright piss poor state of the world at the moment, I can see them making these types of announcements via a Twitter post or something. Still though, it’s getting suspicious and like I said, good to keep the eyes and ears open

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ah yes, the last full week of November. Finally no more need to reserve space for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity since it is now available for the masses to enjoy. All there's left is a clear road throughout the Holidays. So many titles whose fate yet are unknown, with some seeming much closer than many had fathomed.

Even though Black Friday this year has been adapted to various days and with a heavier emphasis on online shopping, perhaps the big deals, and any remaining announcements for titles beyond hopefully come up next week. 🙏

EDIT: Hadn't mentioned it earlier but, there's an odd maintenance scheduled for November 24th and it's for the 3DS.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, the last full week of November. Finally no more need to reserve space for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity since it is now available for the masses to enjoy. All there's left is a clear road throughout the Holidays. So many titles whose fate yet are unknown, with some seeming much closer than many had fathomed.

Even though Black Friday this year has been adapted to various days and with a heavier emphasis on online shopping, perhaps the big deals, and any remaining announcements for titles beyond hopefully come up next week. 🙏

EDIT: Hadn't mentioned it earlier but, there's an odd maintenance scheduled for November 24th and it's for the 3DS.
...huuuh? why the 3ds..?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh, Doom Eternal's a digital download only? That sucks, I was hoping for a physical release like the first one. Still, I hope this news potentially helps the likelihood of FP8 news in the near future

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The update says it’s for multiplayer for some 3DS games tho

kinda hope they don’t like. Close the 3DS multiplayer servers or something...

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
EDIT:

I should say the Doom Eternal for Switch is still some interesting news that seems to imply some kind of announcement they are holding out on. Could there be some kind of Nintendo direct of sorts actually happening?

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm not even mad or trying to stir up doubt when I ask this but...

how.
Well, their are stars around DK's head and Pichu I feel references Geno's star form. Not saying this is definitively a reference, but I did get Geno vibes from it.

Do you think for Geno’s reveal presentation, Sakurai would use the DK Treehouse gag? Maybe troll us with the Geno Wii U Mii costume?
Maybe, but I'm not sure if they'd use the DK Treehouse format for yet another character. I think an awesome trailer for Geno could use Hero's trailer as a base, where Mario, Bowser, Peach and a white Kirby team up to fight against Sheik. Sheik gets KO'd and a Spirit releases from his body, and heads over to a wooden doll lying on the floor. The spirit possesses the doll which turns out to be none other then Geno. I think this would be a great trailer because it references both Geno's Spirit Battle and the fact that Geno is literally possessed by a Star Spirit in SMRPG.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Do you think for Geno’s reveal presentation, Sakurai would use the DK Treehouse gag? Maybe troll us with the Geno Wii U Mii costume?
Given that Geno's got no real connection to DK or Rare, not really. Most likely, it would be a straightforward trailer for Geno involving Mario, Kirby, and or Rosalina given they're all connected to stars

D

Deleted member

I hope I never see it again, to be honest. They immediately gave away Banjo with the Jiggy and the silhouette thing really only worked as a potential gotcha because they own K. Rool. When it ends up being some third party, it's less of a nail biter and that just kills the format for me.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Well, their are stars around DK's head and Pichu I feel references Geno's star form. Not saying this is definitively a reference, but I did get Geno vibes from it.
I seriously hope you mean that as in “it just made me think of Geno” rather than “i feel it’s a Geno reference”, because man ya’ll really aren’t helping with stuff like this when people accuse us of reaching for straws to find any possible hint towards Geno.

He has plenty of fine evidence in his favor, no need to look out for “references” that aren’t references

D

Deleted member

I seriously hope you mean that as in “it just made me think of Geno” rather than “i feel it’s a Geno reference”, because man ya’ll really aren’t helping with stuff like this when people accuse us of reaching for straws to find any possible hint towards Geno.

He has plenty of fine evidence in his favor, no need to look out for “references” that aren’t references
First thing it made me think of is "ARLE CONFIRMED?!" because this larger speculation community has broken me.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

It made me think of Geno. I don't think these pics of the day are really hints towards characters. I just find it really cool to see what Sakurai references through these pics of the day.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This year has been weird and, like I talked about the other day, this is the first year in Direct history where Nintendo has overwhelmingly preferred late month presentations to early. In the past, presentations past the 15th were almost always for Smash or Indies but, as we've seen, they've been doing this most of the year. February, March, June, July, August, and October all had final full week presentations but November and December present potential problems because of major holidays but... Does Nintendo have to care?

The final full weeks in November and December have Thanksgiving and Christmas but Nintendo is a Japanese company. Thanksgiving (at least the November one) is American and nobody else in the world gives a ****. Both Wednesday and Thursday have been common presentation days this whole year but would Nintendo be willing to buck precedent this hard? Like I've lamented, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving is barely believable with the Wednesday seemingly even more improbable with Thanksgiving being impossible if only because Thanksgiving has been hands off for the whole industry for as long as I can remember.
Could Nintendo do it? Yes but it would be a first on a lot of levels.

December is another beast because Christmas and New Years are culturally significant to a good chunk of the planet. New Years, for Japan, is one of the two big culturally significant holidays of the year with it not being unusual for people to take weeks off for it. Christmas in Japan is kind of a novelty and not culturally significant. In a lot of European countries, Christmas is quite literally a full month celebration and the US and Canada are sloooooooowly trying to get to that point. I bring this up because, coincidentally, Christmas Eve is a Thursday this year. Academically speaking, a presentation or even a Direct on Christmas Eve would be ****in' bonkers and I feel like Nintendo would have to buck precedent even harder for it to happen. I've talked about it but a lot of industry has basically "closed the bar" after the VGAs ever since it evolved into a suit and tie affair from fart and penis jokes for 2 hours. It's another one of those things that it's technically possible (and 2020 would be the year to pull it off) but it would have to go against, well, a lot to actually happen.

So... Of the 8 months that have actually had presentations this year, all 8 had a least one in the second half of the month and 6 had a presentation on the last full week of the month. It begs the question if Nintendo is planning to go totally Mad Lad for November, December, or even both. It feels like a lot but 2020 is the only year in Direct history where it's actually a non-zero possibility and that's kind of exciting on its own.

MattX20

Smash Hero
This year has been weird and, like I talked about the other day, this is the first year in Direct history where Nintendo has overwhelmingly preferred late month presentations to early. In the past, presentations past the 15th were almost always for Smash or Indies but, as we've seen, they've been doing this most of the year. February, March, June, July, August, and October all had final full week presentations but November and December present potential problems because of major holidays but... Does Nintendo have to care?

The final full weeks in November and December have Thanksgiving and Christmas but Nintendo is a Japanese company. Thanksgiving (at least the November one) is American and nobody else in the world gives a ****. Both Wednesday and Thursday have been common presentation days this whole year but would Nintendo be willing to buck precedent this hard? Like I've lamented, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving is barely believable with the Wednesday seemingly even more improbable with Thanksgiving being impossible if only because Thanksgiving has been hands off for the whole industry for as long as I can remember.
Could Nintendo do it? Yes but it would be a first on a lot of levels.

December is another beast because Christmas and New Years are culturally significant to a good chunk of the planet. New Years, for Japan, is one of the two big culturally significant holidays of the year with it not being unusual for people to take weeks off for it. Christmas in Japan is kind of a novelty and not culturally significant. In a lot of European countries, Christmas is quite literally a full month celebration and the US and Canada are sloooooooowly trying to get to that point. I bring this up because, coincidentally, Christmas Eve is a Thursday this year. Academically speaking, a presentation or even a Direct on Christmas Eve would be ****in' bonkers and I feel like Nintendo would have to buck precedent even harder for it to happen. I've talked about it but a lot of industry has basically "closed the bar" after the VGAs ever since it evolved into a suit and tie affair from fart and penis jokes for 2 hours. It's another one of those things that it's technically possible (and 2020 would be the year to pull it off) but it would have to go against, well, a lot to actually happen.

So... Of the 8 months that have actually had presentations this year, all 8 had a least one in the second half of the month and 6 had a presentation on the last full week of the month. It begs the question if Nintendo is planning to go totally Mad Lad for November, December, or even both. It feels like a lot but 2020 is the only year in Direct history where it's actually a non-zero possibility and that's kind of exciting on its own.
Plus, the recent SKUs and the news from Bethesda are all but effectively implying we might get major news next week or on the last day of November at the latest. FP8 may just be around the corner

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Been lurking these forums for quite awhile now, and I've got to say the Bethesda statement with the "much more information coming later this month" tag is the biggest indicator of a Direct of some sort coming soon. I work in PR (and have for video game companies), and the only reason you don't diffuse that situation with a consumer-calming release date is if you have a plan already scheduled, or a deal to let someone else do it for you. IE: Direct.

EDIT: The word much is also key here. Every word in a PR statement is carefully crafted. If it's just a release date being announced later this month, you leave out the word "much" and just say "more information coming." So "much" should mean, if Bethesda's PR people are good PR people, something similar to what would be seen in a Direct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Been lurking these forums for quite awhile now, and I've got to say the Bethesda statement with the "much more information coming later this month" tag is the biggest indicator of a Direct of some sort coming soon. I work in PR (and have for video game companies), and the only reason you don't diffuse that situation with a consumer-calming release date is if you have a plan already scheduled, or a deal to let someone else do it for you. IE: Direct.

EDIT: The word much is also key here. Every word in a PR statement is carefully crafted. If it's just a release date being announced later this month, you leave out the word "much" and just say "more information coming." So "much" should mean, if Bethesda's PR people are good PR people, something similar to what would be seen in a Direct.
Don't forget that this is Bethesda, creators of the critically acclaimed "The Elder Scrolls" franchise. On one hand, I was going to just leave this joke at that implication that they have no quality employees, but when I start to stack the books with how many times they've gotten away with murder in the past few years, we might have an argument that their PR people are the best in the business.

However, much more information could easily be shared at The Game Awards and we could equally easily be looking at absolutely nothing coming from Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom