• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Still not entirely sold on us getting anything major this week, but i'll wait and see. A few things seem to be lining up to support it, but even added together they aren't truly conclusive just yet.

I already gave up on Doom Slayer's Smash chances months ago, but i'd be pretty happy if Doom Eternal had some first-party crossover content. Skyrim had Zelda gear, so sure, give Eternal some Metroid content. If you want to go into real tinfoil hat territory, maybe Nintendo want ZeniMax to hold off on making the announcement until Nintendo make their own Metroid announcements first (Metroid 5 and/or Prime Trilogy)?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like it's a little too early to get into the whole "HOLY CRAP, WE'RE GONNA GET SOMETHING NEXT WEEK FOR SURE!" cycle again. Have we gotten any substantial indicators from Nintendo that something is coming any time soon or are we just reading tea leaves again?
Aside from the maintenance scheduled for tomorrow, not really...

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
I've seen a few people suggest that there could be an Indie World soon, but those have been incredibly consistent with their timing, at least in North America. Since they've started, there has always been one in March, August, and December each year, with the only outlier being the very first one which was in February. So if we're getting something in November, an Indie World is pretty much out of the equation.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Still not entirely sold on us getting anything major this week, but i'll wait and see. A few things seem to be lining up to support it, but even added together they aren't truly conclusive just yet.

I already gave up on Doom Slayer's Smash chances months ago, but i'd be pretty happy if Doom Eternal had some first-party crossover content. Skyrim had Zelda gear, so sure, give Eternal some Metroid content. If you want to go into real tinfoil hat territory, maybe Nintendo want ZeniMax to hold off on making the announcement until Nintendo make their own Metroid announcements first (Metroid 5 and/or Prime Trilogy)?
How come we’re giving up on Doom Slayer?

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
How come we’re giving up on Doom Slayer?
Just my personal take on him. Western third-parties are a rare commodity in Smash, we've already got Steve this pass, and if we get another one i'd lean more towards Crash in terms of likeliness. More notably, I think the Marty Stratton interview from January this year was a fairly damning blow to his Smash chances. Grant Kirkhope may have misdirected people before Banjo & Kazooie were revealed, but he never went into that much specific detail; same for the interviews with Yasuyuki Oda and Suda51 that eventually led to Smash content.

At least Geno will be around to take up the gun-boy mantle this pass though.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Right now, people are forgetting the defeatist attitude the thread had when Steve was literally a day or two away from the reveal being announced. Don't give up just yet. The week has only just begun. That, and MinMin's reveal announcement occurred on a Friday, so don't write that day off either if they planned it for next week

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I can't be bothered to find the post, but let me just clarify.

I've incorrectly stated that Sakurai HIMSELF said that Steve began development in April. This is misinformation, as Sakurai said nothing more than Steve began development during the pandemic, and it's our research and intuition that has lead us to believe this means late March/April at the earliest.

Just to clarify again: Sakurai NEVER said Steve began development in April, that is something SMASH FANS have come to as a conclusion based on research and intuition. DO NOT SPREAD THAT SAKURAI SAID APRIL!.

DO. NOT. SPREAD. THAT. SAKURAI. SAID. STEVE. STARTED. DEVELOPMENT. IN. APRIL.

The last thing we need is the YouTube Brigade spreading around even more false information.

There, are you happy now, BigWah_lovr6969?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
All the public stuff that suggest something in the next two weeks:

-NSO updates have been roughly every two months this year and the last one was in September.

-Everything has been pushed back 4-5 months. Coincidentally, E3 was supposed to be about 5 months ago now (next Monday if you want to be absolute literal)

-7/11 ad is strangely MIA.

-All but one of the non-Monday maintenances this year have correlated to a presentation that week.

-DOOM Eternal is still MIA. Zenimax said "soon" over a month a half ago now.

-Skyward Sword and BotW 2 retail leaks were roughly about two months ago now.

-Ninja Gaiden Trilogy and FF VII/VIII combo pack leaks are about a month and a half ago.

-This week is the first week without a Nintendo Versus weekend tournament of any kind since April.

-Nintendo UK announced today that 35 days of Mario giveaways will start Monday November 16th.

-Nintendo has had a presentation in November of some kind the last 8 years.

-Massive DK trademark update in September. Was attached to mostly already announced games.

-Massive Kirby trademark update in October. Was attached to Kirby Fighters 2 which was already announced.

-November is the start of the second half of Nintendo's fiscal year.

-Amiibo theory suggests an average 12 gap between character releases and Amiibo waves. The next Amiibo wave is November 20th, making November 5th the plausible date if you count backward and December 2nd if you count forward. Along with this, Byleth was released 12 days from their reveal, Min Min 7, and Steve also 12, making all the 2020 characters have the shortest gaps between their reveal and release by a considerable amount.

I think that's everything I'm allowed to openly talk about.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If that is the case, then what character would be next after Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman from Minecraft be? Of course, Nintendo doesn't always follow the hype as they are revealing characters for Marketing while catering as close to the fan's requests. Also, Minecraft as Challenger 7 was released in October 13. So I don't think that the next challenger would be dropped here, but maybe in December or January 2021.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
I don't think we'll hear anything about DK until next year personally, even if we end up getting notable news from Nintendo this month or at TGA. We got a updated Zelda trademark registered in July, and I also don't think we'll start hearing about Nintendo's Zelda anniversary plans until early next year.

MattX20

Smash Hero
All the public stuff that suggest something in the next two weeks:

-NSO updates have been roughly every two months this year and the last one was in September.

-Everything has been pushed back 4-5 months. Coincidentally, E3 was supposed to be about 5 months ago now (next Monday if you want to be absolute literal)

-7/11 ad is strangely MIA.

-All but one of the non-Monday maintenances this year have correlated to a presentation that week.

-DOOM Eternal is still MIA. Zenimax said "soon" over a month a half ago now.

-Skyward Sword and BotW 2 retail leaks were roughly about two months ago now.

-Ninja Gaiden Trilogy and FF VII/VIII combo pack leaks are about a month and a half ago.

-This week is the first week without a Nintendo Versus weekend tournament of any kind since April.

-Nintendo UK announced today that 35 days of Mario giveaways will start Monday November 16th.

-Nintendo has had a presentation in November of some kind the last 8 years.

-Massive DK trademark update in September. Was attached to mostly already announced games.

-Massive Kirby trademark update in October. Was attached to Kirby Fighters 2 which was already announced.

-November is the start of the second half of Nintendo's fiscal year.

-Amiibo theory suggests an average 12 gap between character releases and Amiibo waves. The next Amiibo wave is November 20th, making November 5th the plausible date if you count backward and December 2nd if you count forward. Along with this, Byleth was released 12 days from their reveal, Min Min 7, and Steve also 12, making all the 2020 characters have the shortest gaps between their reveal and release by a considerable amount.

I think that's everything I'm allowed to openly talk about.
Well, we have 3 days before the 5th, so we'll see what the next few days bring

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I’m not completely confident in a character reveal anytime soon, but I still think at least SOMETHING is happening to this month. Whether it’s a Direct or Direct Mini, shadowdropped 2021 games or something completely else, I refuse to believe Nintendo is going to ride November without any news. If the partner showcases and Steve were what was supposed to be at E3, then only the first party and potential 2nd Smash character stuff is left.

I'm still thinking that this month's announcement could be that 2D Metroid game that has been rumored for some time now, but I think you all are definitely convincing me a tiny bit that we could get a character this month, even though I'm not entirely sold on it.
God I hope a 2D Metroid releases soon. The Metroid games have had a history of releasing at the wrong place and the wrong time, but the Switch has the magical ability to get like a gajillion people to try out new series.

Especially after the success of Metroidvanias like Hollow Knight and Ori, I think it's time for Metroid itself to be given a fair shot.
I’m still locked in that Metroid is getting some news before the year ends. Being how it’s been rumored since last year and the Paper Mario rumor is true, Metroid 5 is all but likely real and the only reason why it hasn’t appeared yet is very likely due to COVID. If it happens, it’s either this month or Game Awards.
That, or we get Prime Trilogy HD because it is LONG overdue for a rerelease and new players deserve to experience it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, I'm not going to outright claim it's Smash but what we currently know is that:

-it's not an Indie
-it's not a Partner
-it's not Pokemon related
-it's 95% not AoC related
-it's very heavily implied to be first party focused

I feel like this limits what it could be a great deal in the event that we actually do get something the next two weeks. As I said yesterday, Smash isn't totally out of the question because:

-A hypothetical November 5th reveal would be about the gap between Plant and Joker or Cloud and Corrin/Bayo.

-Our expectations have been somewhat warped because of 2020 but the average gap between character reveals and releases is actually roughly 1.5 -2.5 months. This means an early November reveal could wind up being a mid December or late January release.

This said, it's definitely not impossible for a Smash announcement to happen this month even with Steven Cubiverse last month.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm not going to outright claim it's Smash but what we currently know is that:

-it's not an Indie
-it's not a Partner

I feel like this limits what it could be a great deal in the event that we actually do get something the next two weeks. As I said yesterday, Smash isn't totally out of the question because:

-A hypothetical November 5th reveal would be about the gap between Plant and Joker or Cloud and Corrin/Bayo.

-Our expectations have been somewhat warped because of 2020 but the average gap between character reveals and releases is actually roughly 1.5 -2.5 months. This means an early November reveal could wind up being a mid December or late January release.

This said, it's definitely not impossible for a Smash announcement to happen this month even with Steven Cubiverse last month.
Not to mention we've had characters revealed and had a release date more than 2 months apart as noted by both Joker and Plant's respective reveals and release dates before.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Just remember to not hype yourself too much as that can lead to.......unwanted results. As what happened for Travis Touchdown.
No offense, but that was less being too hype and more about being too unrealistic.

I feel the same can be said for people going in hard on 2B. Doing anything for money =/= character getting into Smash, but it does make it way more likely to get a Spirit Event or a Mii Costume.

There are just some characters that don't reach the right formula at the right time, and some devs that will take whatever they can get.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman

-it's not an Indie
-it's not a Partner

welll... this sounds farfetched but should you think it'd be a livestream talking about maybe animal crossing? yknow all those updates for the winter season coming up

either that or an indie world

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This may be something on interest that may disappoint you all.

The Geno cameo that was originally in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is gone in the remake. I guess keeping him would have been too expensive.
Originally this was a bit upsetting as if his cameo was being intentionally blocked/Tanabe'd but in context AD was basically on the verge of bankruptcy so they probably had to cut corners as much as they could with this kind of game. The cruel world of game development I suppose.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
It's really strange to me that we're at 800 guests, but the registered members count is so low. I'm wondering if maybe there's some kind of glitch, or DDoS happening right now. Pages are taking longer to load.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
407 Guests.

Did, uh... did something happen?
Not yet. I think people are just largely starved for news. As I keep saying, there's a really high chance of something in the next two weeks but nobody knows what and, with the gag order in place, hints from the big name insiders probably won't be a thing again until some point in 2021.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's down to 92 guests on my end, so I'm assuming it's due to people being starved for news rather than a DDOS attack. (though I could be wrong) If it is a DDOS attempt, then it's not aimed at one thread in particular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom