• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I feel bad for the Animal Crossing fans in the Wii U era when Smash 4 was announced. That was probably the worst fake out ever.
At least it was still pretty hype if you were also into Smash. People occasionally forget this, but Villager was basically the Ridley of Sm4sh.
Sakurai originally said Villager wasn't suited for battle, which definitely gives off some "Ridley is too big" vibes. Both were even the first characters shown off at their respective E3s.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
At least it was still pretty hype if you were also into Smash. People occasionally forget this, but Villager was basically the Ridley of Sm4sh.
Sakurai originally said Villager wasn't suited for battle, which definitely gives off some "Ridley is too big" vibes. Both were even the first characters shown off at their respective E3s.
Yeah, I'm just going off of old trailers I watched. Like I've said before, I didn't get into Smash that much until December 2019. Got big into speculating this February/March.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I wanna believe in Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's theorycraft of a November reveal, I really do, but I cannot see it. 2020 is just a different year for not even just Nintendo, but other companies as well, and whatever past precedencies Nintendo may have had in the past will most likely be affected because of the pandemic.

I guess we could maybe get a Mini Direct with a mostly first-party emphasis, but that's really all I can see for November.

Edit: Or I think we could also get another game shadowdrop, but I don't expect anything else, especially not Smash unfortunately.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wanna believe in Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's theorycraft of a November reveal, I really do, but I cannot see it. 2020 is just a different year for not even just Nintendo, but other companies as well, and whatever past precedencies Nintendo may have had in the past will most likely be affected because of the pandemic.

I guess we could maybe get a Mini Direct with a mostly third-party emphasis, but that's really all I can see for November.
Mostly third party emphasis? We have been getting third party Partners Showcase Directs for a good part of the year. Why would we get something close to that now?

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Considering how Byleth's trailer was made (it literally starts off like a cutscene from Three Houses, much like Joker's trailer looking like something for Persona 5), I would not be surprised at all if Byleth was intended to be a VGA reveal and was just delayed into January.
I'm pretty confident that's exactly what happened. I don't think Byleth's trailer was meant to be shown in a Smash presentation at all, and Three Houses had a strong presence at The Game Awards last year with two wins. There are plenty of things backing the fact that Byleth was supposed to be revealed in December.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Mostly third party emphasis? We have been getting third party Partners Showcase Directs for a good part of the year. Why would we get something close to that now?
Yeah I thought about that after I posted my comment. That's why I edited my comment and included the fact that I think we could also get another game shadowdrop as well.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah I thought about that after I posted my comment. That's why I edited my comment and included the fact that I think we could also get another game shadowdrop as well.
Now, there is something that could happen! How may shadow drops could we get? If more than one, I can't imagine there'd be that many.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
CannonStreak CannonStreak If we look at rumors, I think it could be 2D Metroid since that's been rumored for just as long as Paper Mario. However, I also think it could be something no one is guessing at, kinda like Age Of Calamity.

GenoDoge GenoDoge I could see that happen as well. Also, as much as I would love to see Geno revealed next month, I kinda accepted that I don't find a Smash reveal particularly likely. Would love to be wrong though!

Also, I have to resort to tagging because Smashboards is having a problem inserting quotes on my end

Last edited:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
CannonStreak CannonStreak If we look at rumors, I think it could be 2D Metroid since that's been rumored for just as long as Paper Mario. However, I also think it could be something no one is guessing at, kinda like Age Of Calamity.

GenoDoge GenoDoge I could see that happen as well. Also, as much as I would love to see Geno revealed next month, I kinda accepted that I don't find it particularly likely. Would love to be wrong though.

Also, I have to resort to tagging because Smashboards is having a problem inserting quotes on my end
I'd be happy with 2D Metroid too. Actually kinda prefer it over Prime.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How solid is Fatmanonice Fatmanonice November theory? Anyone have a link?
I mean... There's not much to it aside from Nintendo having a perfect November track record since 2013 and Smash news being almost perfect since 2001. It also helps that Ultimate has had two November presentations too.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Question. Did Steve's character banner on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website still have the "New Coming 10/13/2020" line on it when looking at the Fighters section? Thought of checking the site out now and just noticed it there. However, if I recall correctly, that line wasn't there before (by this I mean say, last week and such; after the character was released). 🤔

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I'd be cool with that too since my 33rd birthday is on December 5th. December is just a super small window because most of the industry has adopted a "bar's closed" mentality for big news after the VGAs, basically making December the first week or bust.
Heh, and my birthday is on December 11th.
We better get Geno in December.
Question. Did Steve's character banner on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website still have the "New Coming 10/13/2020" line on it when looking at the Fighters section? Thought of checking the site out now and just noticed it there. However, if I recall correctly, that line wasn't there before (by this I mean say, last week and such; after the character was released). 🤔
I'm looking at it through the Wayback Machine. It only displays the "New" line here the day of his reveal. "Coming 10/13/2020" isn't present in any captures of the American English version of the Fighters section, yet it's present on the current site.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
They can make it count as a double reveal in covid mode, Steve + 78 in November, it would me amazing. Just hope to see 78 before 2020 ends, to finish it with more hype with a Hayabusa, or even better, CRASH, or even better, GENOOOOO.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
They can make it count as a double reveal in covid mode, Steve + 78 in November, it would me amazing. Just hope to see 78 before 2020 ends, to finish it with more hype with a Hayabusa, or even better, CRASH, or even better, GENOOOOO.
Geno defending Steve by using Geno Whirl against a witch that's leading a mob of mobs in a dark forest

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
You know, it may seem funny that Geno seems so likely out of the millions of video game characters, but it really isn't. Geno has so much going for him.

-He represents the time when Nintendo and Square were best buds.
-He is part of the Mario franchise, one of the best selling video game franchises ever.
-He isn't as obscure as the detractors say. If he was super obscure, there wouldn't be dozens of us here everyday rooting for gim.
-Sakurai has acknowledged Geno and that he's popular!

Never give up. Geno is definitely in!

7NATOR

Smash Master
Don't take this too seriously, just posting this for fun

Someone on Smashfaqs, says that Geno on December 23rd with a Freddy Mii Costume. This person HATES the idea of Geno being in Smash, but apparently came across info about Geno in Smash and stuff

I don't exactly buy it. I'll give it props in that a Freddy Costume fits thematically with Geno, with both being Spirits inhabiting a Body, obviously with different circumstances though

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking once again on the days of the SNES when Nintendo and Squaresoft had an incredible relationship (with the now do so once again since circa the GC/GBA era), in a historical context, Geno's character served as the ambassador to the RPG genre being introduced to the western audience. It's true that SMRPG wasn't the first RPG game, and many other such games existed before its time, but SMRPG helped popularize the genre by adding the Super Mario brand. Again, Geno was like the black mage of the game (I know Mallow also used offensive spells but aesthetically Geno does come up as a black mage from a parallel universe).

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I’ve been a Nintendo supporter my whole life. Back in 1996, when I was 9 I got this game. I saw the commercial with the old guy, and I found out about this game from Nintendo Power, which I subscribed to for years. If it wasn’t for young fans like me turning out back then to support SMRPG, Square wouldn’t have taken off in the West like they went on to do.

I know it’s not 1996 anymore. And I’m 33 years old, and SMRPG is an old *** game from 25 years ago, but it has a legacy. And I think after how loyal fans like me are from that era, we deserve a nod with Geno’s inclusion. Go back to Melee, when characters like Ice Climbers and Game and Watch were included. It payed homage to the old fans from that time, who played those games.

Smash Ultimate is the game where Geno HAS to be in. We missed Brawl, we got a costume in Wii U, which Sakurai acknowledged our fan base because we made so much noise. And then when the Fighter Ballot happened in 2015, where it really counts, and guess what? Geno performed very well. And beat a lot of other characters who are already in the game. This character DESERVES to be in.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So, to summarize what I've come to understand about this whole scenario:
  • Sakurai just stated in a Famitsu article that ALL of Steve's development was done during the pandemic, and that this made development more difficult. This implies that Steve started work after the regulations were put into effect, which Sakurai informed us happened in April, thus implying Steve didn't start development until April or at the earliest late March.

• With this new information, we can now conclude that Steve was never meant for an E3 reveal since he would never have been ready in time even without pandemic regulations and difficulties, which suggests that Steve was pushed up during this time period due to being the easiest to develop due to communication not being heavily impacted thanks to the nature of Microsoft and Mojang and where they are located. This leads us to come to one of two conclusions...
    • Either Steve was originally meant to be #78 and there was only ever one E3 reveal planned for this year, which breaks past precedent, or...

• Steve was originally meant to be #79 or maybe even later, and both E3 characters have been pushed back.
  • We can confirm via information we've gathered that Min Min was meant to release much earlier but both pandemic and programming issues combined pushed her back from what was likely April to June. This is proof alone that Smash has had delays this year, so it's completely on the table that other characters could be swapped in release positions to keep up with their deadline of December 2021.

• Nintendo as a whole has had delays, but the biggest ones we've seen thus far have been for Mario, having his whole anniversary delayed massively, with information suggesting some of the content we just recently got was originally intended for as early as April. This matches up with what we have found be the original release window for Min Min, meaning Mario anniversary content would have been out as early as then and lasting throughout the year.

• Part of these delayed Mario events and content was a Mario-Themed Smash Tournament despite us already having one exactly like this since Ultimate has been live. This event got delayed again to begin in December when it was originally slated for sometime in November-December, but was revealed to us in September which is oddly early.

• Insiders back in March were leaking things about the Mario Anniversary, specifically 3D Mario All-Stars. Then in July insiders were all cutesy about Geno, not unlike things we've seen for other characters that have been leaked by these same insiders, but nothing comes of it. Then Pamela Horton talks about how people lost it when Geno was announced for Smash. Now we are creeping up to our first anniversary of CacoMallow, so there are a number of things around Geno that could suggest he was coming next originally and perhaps will be revealed next.

• As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice as been practically drilling into our heads, Nintendo has made it their goal every November since 2012 to give us some sort of announcement, regardless of what content would be in that announcement. With the most recent Partner Showcase being the last of the year, that means that doing all these Showcases separately have shown us all the third party content we are likely to get this year and even into next year. However, we still have all of November and Nintendo's past precedent to consider, so even if it isn't some sort of formal announcement that we are used to like a Direct I would still expect an announcement of some sort this coming month.
I can't say that a Smash announcement is guaranteed here, but I feel as though we will have something of substance this coming month. It's really not that early for another Smash announcement so it's on the table, but it depends on Sakurai and his team's progress, how the regulations are going, and what Nintendo has in store.

Also the Fortnite thing means nothing, so don't worry about it guys. I have a bunch of quotes I want to respond to but I just haven't had the time. Until then, I hope you all enjoy Halloween! I know our resident blue sailor will, but Halloween is also my favorite holiday, but I don't get to celebrate it this year due to our remodeling project. My dad is giving out candy, but I don't get to dress up or setup anything fun for the kids so I see no point. I'm kinda an all or nothing kinda guy. So, TRICK OR TREAT IN MY STEAD, GENO FAMDOM!

EDIT: Sorry about the tabbed marks being weirdly formatted, I did it right but Smashboards doesn't like them any other way than this.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

Someone on Smashfaqs, says that Geno on December 23rd with a Freddy Mii Costume. This person HATES the idea of Geno being in Smash, but apparently came across info about Geno in Smash and stuff

I don't exactly buy it. I'll give it props in that a Freddy Costume fits thematically with Geno, with both being Spirits inhabiting a Body, obviously with different circumstances though
Freddy Mii with Geno
No.

T2by4

Smash Lord

Oh, they hate Geno? Okay I totally believe them now.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

SmashFAQ's is just littered with trolls. He's just saying that to get under our skin, which isn't working at all. I wouldn't pay them much attention.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Time to get a little... naughty.

Entertaining the thought that perhaps, Steve was always meant to be a Fall reveal/release, thus suggesting that the characters planned for E3 2020 were held back, what it indeed we end up seeing the following sequence of events.
  • Following the pattern of this year's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open Tournaments (and VS Cup Tournaments), which have seen the reveal of DLC characters not to far off from their conclusion, we end up getting the reveal of CP 8 as early as next week (or the week after that)? In addition, that CP 8 ends up being Geno. Not only would it be great news for us Genobros, but it would also be convenient so that Geno may be a playable fighter in the upcoming Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary themed tournament scheduled for December. Revealed early November, and released near the end of the month.
  • Following the potential reveal of a Geno CP 8, As we make our way to December 10th, we are presented with yet another Smash reveal at The Game Awards, and who else to better fit this platform than Crash Bandicoot as CP 9. The proximity between both challenger packs would confirm that these two characters could possibly have been the E3 2020 Smash reveals, and as for Crash himself, his reveal at The Game Awards would go in line with (1) his appearance at the 2018 TGAs (year in which SSBU released, literally releasing the day after), AND (2) the timing for his release (which would go into early 2021) would tie into the alleged document which detailed a five year plan of revitalizing the Crash Bandicoot franchise (aiming for Crash's inclusion in Smash in 2021).
This is all fun and exciting to speculate. Of course for all conservative faithfuls this is all speculation; nothing certain; it is reasonable to keep expectations for a "realistic" January reveal for CP 8. However, why not dream otherwise, eh? :denzel:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
SmashFAQ's is just littered with trolls. He's just saying that to get under our skin, which isn't working at all. I wouldn't pay them much attention.
What do you mean get under Your guys's Skin? While the Leak doesn't have credibility to it's name and is likely fake, The leak is stating Playable Geno with Freddy Costume

Do you mean in that this person is creating this leak to make Geno fans look bad?

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The following is for informative (and speculation) purposes ONLY. (Aw heck y'all do whatevs).

In the past (recent past) we've seen some devs say such things as "no comments", or disregard potential plans of their franchises or main characters being introduced to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Some take these expressions as deconfirmations for said characters, while others see it as developers being coy and evading compromising answers. In regards to that, perhaps the following anecdote may help us understand that not everything that is said is necessarily true (mostly when the comment is one either disregarding, or "not giving too much hope" about something). There is an obvious reason why for such a thing as being asked if say, "has Nintendo asked you about putting your character in Smash", they would decline in commenting or say that nothing really came out of it. They're not going to give away the surprise.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Thinking once again on the days of the SNES when Nintendo and Squaresoft had an incredible relationship (with the now do so once again since circa the GC/GBA era), in a historical context, Geno's character served as the ambassador to the RPG genre being introduced to the western audience. It's true that SMRPG wasn't the first RPG game, and many other such games existed before its time, but SMRPG helped popularize the genre by adding the Super Mario brand. Again, Geno was like the black mage of the game (I know Mallow also used offensive spells but aesthetically Geno does come up as a black mage from a parallel universe).
Wouldn't red mage be more appropriate for Geno ? He's basically a glass canon with high strength and very good AoE special moves , with a big buffing move. Black mages tend to focus purely on magic spells , both solo target and AoE , Geno is a bit more versatile.

However , I agree with the rest of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom