• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
btw Byleth is another character that was known by leakers far in advance. Obviously not as long as Steve, but a fair bit over a year before. Maybe a month or so before the game came out I and others had heard about them.

If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't specifically Byleth that was out there. I was told "maybe Edelgard" and others heard that there was going to be a Three Houses character in the fighter pass. Looking through old discord messages I had Byleth's name in December of 2018. Thing is that nobody wants to be the guy to put info out there and then get burned if it doesn't come to fruition. So at least for as long as I was involved in the scene, nobody was confident enough to come right out and say it.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make right now is that it's a possibility that some of the characters mentioned in leaks early on that didn't come to fruition right away, could still be a possibility. Byleth wasn't held for as long as Steve, but who knows. It could be something people speculating to keep in mind!

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all, not a frequent user of this site anymore but I'm popping in to say that I've got my fingers crossed for you guys. I'm feeling really good about Geno's chances this time around, so much so that I actually bet real-world money on him getting revealed the other day (oops lol). I know some of you guys have been pushing for this crazy little wooden man for upwards of ten, fifteen, whatever years, and I hope you finally get that payoff.
Was told last December to not expect Travis as playable. This wound up correct. They also said not to expect Ryu either so we'll see how that plays out.
People have heard Ryu but, repeating my thousand year complaint, he's literally the only pure Koei Tecmo content that has ever come up. Ryu first started being talked about seriously in insider circles in December 2018 but he's probably been the most frustrating character to pin down, especially NOW that the Minecraft info from 2018 was right all along.
I'll keep holding out for Hayabusa until the bitter end, but ngl, this made my heart drop. I'd hate to see someone with that sort of legacy be relegated to a Mii Fighter, or possibly get left out entirely.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
GUYS: It must be true now. The 8 Ball said so.View attachment 288269
Yes! We win! The third most credible insider in the game (only behind 7-11 and Nintendo of course), finally confirming Geno will be in Smash! :4pacman:

(Ok but for real, I asked the online magic 8 ball if Geno would be in about a month ago and said no. Went to try it after seeing this and it said without a doubt. Just thought that was cool.)

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Right. The fact that we've now had two Microsoft packs and no true first party or RARE costumes is suspicious as all hell. The fact that Banjo didn't have this gave us a predictor that Microsoft was going to get more significant content in the future so this happening literally two years in a row takes that suspicion to all new heights.
I want to say that Banjo not having any Banjo costumes is mighty suspicious, and I don't think it is in our favor. Something like a Mumbo Jumbo costume was super dumb and obvious but they didn't take it and they didn't make it. So what makes us all think that we are magically going to get legitimate Rare and Microsoft costumes further down the line if they couldn't even do a Banjo-Kazooie tie in with the release of the actual character?

Just playing devil's advocate here. I think none of this is evidence we are getting Chief or more Microsoft content one bit

I think the intended release order has been irreparably damaged by how complicated the last two characters were. I believe Steve was supposed to be #5, got pushed back, and that Byleth was originally supposed to just be a bonus character rather than getting full challenger pack billing. Fighter Pass 2 was also supposed to have 5 characters but the aforementioned tossup threw Steve to FP2 and they just went with 6 characters instead of bothering with any mid-pack "bonus" characters.

Cacomallow is real and Doomguy was supposed to be #76 but Nintendo wanted to prioritize ARMS, as well as the acquisition by Microsoft meaning a lot of deals had to be reconfirmed (Microsoft had to explicitly state they were honouring Bethesda's last two exclusivity details with Sony, for example). They kept Vault Boy as a Mii costume for #76 because Bethesda thought it was cute and there's nothing inherently tying him to Doom.

So with the costumes that are up in the air, I think we're getting something like this, but not necessarily in order.

Geno Costumes
  • Mallow
  • Smithy
  • Chocobo
  • Gooigi
  • [Square Enix Secret Costume]
Lloyd Costumes
  • Monster Hunter
  • Rathalos
  • Knightmare
  • Kos-Mos
  • Ms. Pac-Man
Doomguy Costumes
  • Cacodemon
  • Elecman
  • More Doom stuff, probably
  • [Secret Costume from a FPS]
  • Arle (I think they'd put her here simply for the amusing juxtaposition)
That leaves us with another character for the remaining costumes that have been leaked/rumoured, and my money is either on Ryu Hayabusa or Crash
I think you are on the money but venturing a little too far into speculation. I think Steve was intended to always be DLC and they weren't sure where he would fit in so they sort of just left spaces open that would end up being filled as time went on.

I do strongly believe though that Byleth was not meant to be part of the first fighters pass. Just something about that character and his reveal to me screams that he was not part of the original plan. Not quite able to place my finger on it

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey y'all, not a frequent user of this site anymore but I'm popping in to say that I've got my fingers crossed for you guys. I'm feeling really good about Geno's chances this time around, so much so that I actually bet real-world money on him getting revealed the other day (oops lol). I know some of you guys have been pushing for this crazy little wooden man for upwards of ten, fifteen, whatever years, and I hope you finally get that payoff.

I'll keep holding out for Hayabusa until the bitter end, but ngl, this made my heart drop. I'd hate to see someone with that sort of legacy be relegated to a Mii Fighter, or possibly get left out entirely.
It's a weird situation.

"He's been in insider circles since 2018."

That's good.

"But he's the only purely Koei Tecmo content that's ever come up."

That's bad...

"But several people were slapped with warnings for openly talking about him."

That's good.

"But there's an ongoing debate if Ryu was actually just a cover up for Byleth."

That's bad...

"But a lot of stuff from 2018 is now coming to fruition like Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Mario 3D World Deluxe, and Minecraft in Smash."

That's good.

"But one of my guys told me not to expect him or Travis."

That's bad...

"But Koei Tecmo has now helped make several Zelda and Fire Emblem games."

That's good.

"But Koei Tecmo said they had no immediate plans for Ninja Gaiden for the foreseeable future earlier this year."

That's bad...

"But a Ninja Gaiden Trilogy was leaked for Switch last month."

That's good.

"But it's not due out until next March."

Can I go home now?

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
You'd think that after going through all this trouble to develop complicated characters like Min Min and Steve, Sakurai would welcome a character like Geno who'd be easy to design and implement. You have characters like Megaman to use as a base, the Mii Costume to borrow models from; Just create a simple timing-based mechanic for his fighting style, slap some new textures on him and BAM, ya got yourself a spicy Geno! No need to rework the entire stage selection and all that jazz.

Still, I do admire Sakurai and his team for the amazing amount of passion and dedication they put into these characters. They're not JUST characters anymore with a few iconic moves, but embodiments of the games they come from, beautifully wrapped up in the form of a playable character. I was indifferent about the idea of Steve being in Smash before his reveal, but after seeing what they did with him, I welcome him. It just makes me want Geno even more, knowing the kind of magic they could work on him. I don't think we realize just how awesome Geno could end up being. Like, everything we love about SMRPG expressed through Geno's glorious new 3D model we've waited ages to see. Sakurai and your team, you absolute madlads, don't hold back on us!!

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
If Geno got in Smash, what stage would you guys prefer, Bowsers Keep or Forest Maze?
Bowser's Keep, hands down. Let me list you my reasons:

1. We need a Bowser's Castle stage proper. The Bowser Castle portion of the Paper Mario stage is not satisfactory.
2. The dadgum logo for SMRPG is Exor in Bowser's Keep. Feel how iconic this is:
3. The entire plot of the game revolves, both literally and figuratively, around this location and its context. It is the very image of what you need to overcome.
4. It's also the site of a major boss fight late in the game, making it a legitimate battlefield to use for inspiration.
5. It looks sick as heck. Way cooler looking than the Forest Maze or even Bowyer's Stump.

Edit: Yo, I just snagged post 137,137.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
If Geno got in Smash, what stage would you guys prefer, Bowsers Keep or Forest Maze?
Bowser's Keep, 100%.

And no, I'm totally not just saying that because I main Bowser and he hasn't had a stage to call his own in the nearly 2 decades he's been in Smash.

Totally not.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Imo, for a Geno stage I'd have to go with Bowser's Keep. That location does in fact represent SMRPG the best.
  • Appears in the game's box art.
  • Appears in the game's intro.
  • The game begins and ends (kinda) in said location.
And as others have pointed out, it would at the same time add a much needed Bowser's Castle stage. There are quite a few Mario stages in Smash, but still no Bowser's Castle? This one could be it. As for stage hazards, heck they could make Exor attack from all the way back (the main platform would be the hill from which one can view Bowser's Keep from afar). Although... there could be a problem with one of its attacks (literally Corona... really... that's the name of the attack). Luckily Exor has plenty of attacks from which they could choose to add as stage hazards.

Spells cast by Exor's Right Eye
  • Bolt
  • Diamond Saw
  • Mega Drain
  • Flame Stone
  • Dark Star
  • Blast
Special Attacks cast by Exor's Left Eye
  • Gunk Ball
  • Venom Drool
  • S'crow Bell
Spells cast by Neosquid (i.e. Exor's mouth...)
  • Solidify
  • Aurora Flash
  • Corona (nope)
  • Static E!
  • Flame Wall
  • Water Blast
Basically the right eye casts spells that hit one target, the left eye casts debuff special attacks on one target, and the mouth casts attacks that can hit more than one target (in multiplayer could hit all fighters, or be cast on a wide area of the stage). Prior to each spell/sp. attack, Exor could have a specific animation (i.e. Right Eye shines when it's about to cast a spell) and immediately a text identical to the attack names being announced in SMRPG appears at the top of the screen. Dang... Bowser's Keep as a stage has A LOT of potential for being a fun stage. And that's just with having Exor as the only stage hazard. Imagine adding in the Blade flying by close to the Keep and occasionally firing off the Breaker Beam at the stage. That's be sick af.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else think it's weird that Banjo, Terry, AND Byleth are possibly coming out together? We've been theorizing for a long time that Byleth would be coming out with 9 and it makes me wonder if the gap between 8 and 9 is going to be smaller to compensate. As the Dark Brotherhood brought to my attention earlier today... We're quickly running out of characters to make Miis of, especially if the next wave is a triple. This heavily suggests that this next Amiibo wave will probably be the last one for awhile because the Smash 4 DLC characters had pretty significant gaps between them too.
or we just get reprints of old ones

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I really wanna see some cameos like Mallow, Mallow's parents, Bowser, Peach, and Mario if they aren't being used, Queen Valinita, Dodo, Booster, Johnny, Smithy, That Dragon From Barrel Volcano, Yardiovich, Punchinello, and the Axem Rangers in crisp HD! These characters could also be in Geno's spirit board, its perfect!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
It's still crazy to me that we're this far into the DLC season of Ultimate without the Geno Mii Costume returning. It really makes one think, could this be his chance? I've seen a lot of others claim that Geno's Mii Costume can still be added later on, even towards the end, because Nintendo doesn't care about a vocal minority's feelings. But I disagree. It's clear Sakurai cares very much about the fans of characters, and always goes above and beyond when he cannot deliver a character, to make sure they're still represented. That's why the Geno Mii Costume was created in the first place back in Sm4sh. So, I believe that Sakurai would acknowledge that there would be harsh feelings upon his Mii Costume reveal if it happens later in the Pass. Which, once again, leads me to wonder, could this be his chance?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
It's still crazy to me that we're this far into the DLC season of Ultimate without the Geno Mii Costume returning. It really makes one think, could this be his chance? I've seen a lot of others claim that Geno's Mii Costume can still be added later on, even towards the end, because Nintendo doesn't care about a vocal minority's feelings. But I disagree. It's clear Sakurai cares very much about the fans of characters, and always goes above and beyond when he cannot deliver a character, to make sure they're still represented. That's why the Geno Mii Costume was created in the first place back in Sm4sh. So, I believe that Sakurai would acknowledge that there would be harsh feelings upon his Mii Costume reveal if it happens later in the Pass. Which, once again, leads me to wonder, could this be his chance?
I think most of the people on this board definitely hold onto his Mii costume as not having returned as one of the main things going for him. And it definitely could be. Not to play the bad guy, but Geno is one character of dozens, if not hundreds of possible characters not yet in this game. I don’t think there’s any way at all to tell who’s coming until we watch the official reveal trailers. It’s been like a year since there were any leaks that turned out true, and that one was Nintendo doing the SNK thing themselves. I really just don’t think there’s any way to tell what’s going to happen until it happens.

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
I would love a tour like Stage that begins at Bowser’s Castle throughout many locations in the game including Booster’s Tower, The Blade, and Smithy’s Factory With it finishing off at Bowser’s Castle! But if I had to choose one it would be Forest Maze, with that Bowyer can be a Stage Boss, Mallow being like the Flying Man who you go up to and he helps you out and it would go around different parts of it, seeing many cameos of characters!

I really wanna see some cameos like Mallow, Mallow's parents, Bowser, Peach, and Mario if they aren't being used, Queen Valinita, Dodo, Booster, Johnny, Smithy, That Dragon From Barrel Volcano, Yardiovich, Punchinello, and the Axem Rangers in crisp HD! These characters could also be in Geno's spirit board, its perfect!
It truly is! I really want to see them add as many characters as they can for Geno’s Stage as a whole dedicated Super Mario RPG Stage! Spirits for them are perfect as well!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Man, that presentation was fun. I saw it a couple of hours after it actually happened but was not able to comment on it here due to work but boy, it was quite informative and entertaining.

Steve is such an interesting character. The things he can do can be fascinating due to the way his attributes and weapons change through crafting. And his edge guard tactics are insane. It's going to be a pain to go against a Steve. Overall, Steve plays and acts like I would be up for and that's fine by me. The effort and attention he and his stage got are incredible. It goes to show how caring the Smash Dev Team are for Ultimate.

Steve's sleeping animation, Kirby's Transformation, His animations, etc. All great.

I chuckled when Sakurai actually mentioned the Geomancer class in FF. It's like we were in sync or something. That's literally what I said! Hehe. And that's how Steve is.

Sakurai's Minecraft sword/toy looked fun.

And the Mii Costumes, man. What a moment. Dread, excitement, and expectation as always. It has become THE moment to expect when the newcomer is not someone we're looking for and can be just as hype.

The Minecraft's Mii Costumes looked good. Gil is FINALLY back.

Guess that's how they're going to introduce the missing Costumes. One at a time. They're going to drag it out as much as possible, huh?

And then, Bomberman and...hmm...Travis. First of all, Bomberman's Costume looks fantastic. Bomberman became the proper Deluxe costume of this wave of Costumes and it shows. I love how it can change depending on the color of your Mii.

Travis, Travis. I was kind of wondering if it was referring to "Is it the Travis I am thinking...?" And indeed, it was. He looked great. Just as I expected. But I wasn't too surprised due to me reading past interviews with Suda-51 saying that it might not be possible and I was expecting him to not become playable and well, I was not wrong.

My condolences go towards Travis' supporters in this thread, and congrats to Bomberman's supporters in the thread. Probably will go to the respective thread to deliver some words.

Geno lives! Lloyd Lives! The Monster Hunter Lives! They're the only ones left and have survived. It's amazing. It's the last stand. Let's see who makes it into the chaos~

Time to wait for FP8. Who knows if it's going to be just as long or something.

:bowser: :starman: .

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I think it's safe to say that regardless of your feelings towards Steve, this turn of events has been a net positive for Geno, among others, overall. It's brought a lot of new things to the table for speculation, and I have a feeling things are going to get even more interesting going forward. I have a good feeling Geno will come eventually, the wait will be a bit longer than we were anticipating, but if his inclusion is anything like Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie, I think the wait is going to be more than worth it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Is there any validity to revisiting the Sol Badguy / Nightmare rumors from awhile back as well?

There's a chance we could get something like:

Plant
Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry/Byleth
Min Min/Steve/Geno/Lloyd/Hayabusa/Dante
Sol/Nightmare/Crash/Chief

And if Hayabusa is a costume like Travis, replace him with Waluigi and move one of the non-Chief bonus characters into his slot in FP2. That would be a pretty insane line-up, ngl

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Is there any validity to revisiting the Sol Badguy / Nightmare rumors from awhile back as well?

There's a chance we could get something like:

Plant
Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry/Byleth
Min Min/Steve/Geno/Lloyd/Hayabusa/Dante
Sol/Nightmare/Crash/Chief

And if Hayabusa is a costume like Travis, replace him with Waluigi and move one of the non-Chief bonus characters into his slot in FP2. That would be a pretty insane line-up, ngl
Not related to your post at all, but if they are going to make a third pass, I kinda wish they just made the second pass five characters, so each one could have the same amount... I'm upset we can't alter how the characters and stages on the select screen are organized, this is just how I feel about these things....

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Minecraft are there any Glow Squid bros in here? I just heard it won! I was rooting for it
Present.

On the presentation, Steve really looks interesting and the amount of work put into him explains why things took so long between Min Min's reveal and his. I fully expect an announcement before the year is out, not a release, that'll likely coincide for 2021 and then you'll likely see things speed up to the final stretches of the DLC. Fatman also mentioned bonus characters, which seems logical on paper but I don't expect them. This is likely the last update we'll see of Ultimate. If there are bonus characters, I see echo fighters for the hell of it (Not that I'd complain, a certain heroine from a jungle setting could squeeze in at the last minute), unless they add more slots. But those slots could be saved for a Final Four pass. But you'd need something else if those last four slots are all that the game and hardware will allow, which makes me think those last four slots will go unused or they may use them for echo fighters and even then they may use one or two max.

And a special mention to Bomberman. I was devastated in 2018 and that Mii costume didn't make me feel any better. Compromises ahoy. That was more or less the premium costume this time around given the way you can recolor it. I really hope Geno gets in so you guys don't have to deal with a consolation prize. Why settle for crumbs when you can have the whole pie? Same applies for Travis even though I really don't care much for him but I know the pain all too well. Season 3 of Smash Ultimate is finally picking up, it's sure to get even more unpredictable in the days ahead.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So don't know if I would go as far as to call myself a supporter but following the Geno news has always been interesting.

If you don't know me I ran the smash Icons thread back in the days of 2018 and made over 100 myself.

With that out of the way, I STRONGLY think CacoMallow is real and I have a few questions for Fatmanonice Fatmanonice concerning some stuff I've dug up over the years.

1. Does the Ubisoft Support mean anything for Rayman?

I ask this as back in Smash 4 all three main characters of the Rayman series got new 3D models. From my background in 3D modeling I discovered from the looks of things at least the Rayman model provided by Ubisoft was modeled in a way that it could be rigged. Does this mean anything?

2. I've been lurking a bit and have noticed you and others talk more about Master Cheif than DoomGuy. Is there a reason for this despite CacoMallow or no?

3. What, if anything have you or others heard about Waluigi is this a serious pick? If so is there any info on what would be drawn on for a moveset other than the various Sports and party games he's been in?

That's all, I'm not a poster on here anymore for reasons but I would love to hear your thoughts.

Good luck to you all.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Just need one more....
Cute! But looks like a regular line one. Smash line versions based on fighter portraits usually have poses.

Like, everything we love about SMRPG expressed through Geno's glorious new 3D model we've waited ages to see. Sakurai and your team, you absolute madlads, don't hold back on us!!
Cannot say it's the perfect direction. Still the recent Mario games were the responsible ones to update Mario characters' renders before Smash bros team do so.

As for Smash contents, outside fighters and NPCs in gameplay, we also had trohpies, where some characters got new 3D renders not directly sourced from their original games. I kinda wonder if Smash bros team were able to do Geno's 3D render for trohpy back in Smash 4 when his costume was in plan.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Since the topic is “old rumors that could possibly turn out being true”, is it possible we could get a rundown of what ****bi heard in 2018 in regards to Geno? I remember hearing something along the lines of “watercooler talk”, but I don’t know much beyond that and obviously it’s impossible to get clarification from them now. I’m curious how strong and prevalant these rumors were.
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

Also, I swear i’m not trying to doom and gloom, but I also want to know what was up with those pre-VGA Sephiroth rumors. Obviously Geno’s had way more steam since then but i’d honestly just like to know more about these old leaks, why they happened, and what they might mean for the future.

and that doesn’t just apply to Square characters either. I am genuinuly starting to wonder if, with Hitagi’s insistence on Steve, if Katalina from Granblue Fantasy might be on the table again. Yea, I heard that collective “ugh” from a mile away. Are we still sure that Hitagi’s leak was 100% for Granblue fighting game and NOT smash?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm waking up to see that I got tagged in a ton of stuff overnight and I work on Sundays so it will take me awhile to get to everyone. I promise I'm not ignoring anymore. My Sunday shift is my most physically demanding so I have much less time to derp on my phone so I'll try to start answering people in 4-5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom