• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
E3 always has double reveals. Always. Ever since the beginning of Smash 4. I don’t know if Min Min was supposed to be the other one or if FP8 was. If it’s FP8 that means we’ll see them rather soon.
Yeah, I agree that two reveals at E3 likely would've happened, but I dunno why people think it would have been Steve + CP8. Min Min and Steve would have worked just as well imo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ryu is definitely back on the table but I don't know where he fits in all of this. Based on the timing, he'd probably be 10 so it's just kind of a mess because now it's trying to figure out where Waluigi, Crash, and Chief possibly fit in and there's now the elephant in the room that there is most definitely going to be E3 2021 reveals so who are they?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
You would think that as a Banjo-Kazooie fan and main that I would be a lot more pissed about Steve getting in.

Honestly? My reaction was a mix of laughter and disbelief. I'm about 60/40 on his inclusion, though I have serious doubts he'll be tournament legal since he can just wall you out, or build a cave of life, or build a walk off and backthrow you

Banjo main here. If Steve was announced before Banjo, my reaction would be a very different story but I probably would've still liked him in the end for how weird and wacky he is, and I love wacky and weird. Plus, I do like Minecraft. Now that we both, I am quite glad to see him in and hopefully Banjo and Steve superfans can come to peace with each other.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking that we'll get a trailer for FP8 at The Game Awards this year and a Sakurai presents + release either January or February next year.

Since Sakurai didn't announce any delays here I think December 2021 is still on track, so 3 month gaps between chars seems like it's gonna become the norm for now on after the Min Min delay.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Ryu is definitely back on the table but I don't know where he fits in all of this. Based on the timing, he'd probably be 10 so it's just kind of a mess because now it's trying to figure out where Waluigi, Crash, and Chief possibly fit in and there's now the elephant in the room that there is most definitely going to be E3 2021 reveals so who are they?
What makes u think that, if u don't mind me asking? And wouldnt it still be for fighters pass 2?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Why exactly is Ryu back on the table? Just because one rumor panned out doesn't mean they all suddenly gain credibility again. Didn't we establish he was likely a misconception after people learned Koei was involved?

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think we'll get anymore 1st party characters? Aside from Pokemon maybe not imo.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
E3 always has double reveals. Always. Ever since the beginning of Smash 4. I don’t know if Min Min was supposed to be the other one or if FP8 was. If it’s FP8 that means we’ll see them rather soon.
I truly do not know, but the more I think about it, I guess it could be possible to have started with Min Min and ended E3 with Steve. HOWEVER, with how complex these two fighters were to create, perhaps we were never gonna get a double reveal.

T2by4

Smash Lord
View attachment 287790

Uh, this is big. Remember how I've been emphasizing that sometimes things can take years to pan out? Apparently Minecraft content was three years in the making. Soooo... All the people who have said Smash rumors from 2018 were too old to be meaningful can now have a second helping of my ass. Wow... Verge's Minecraft stuff was right all along and the Geno, Waluigi, Ryu, and Lloyd rumors from back then just grew 2 foot long teeth. Damn. Watta day.
What's the source on that? Why waluigi ryu lloyd and geno? I know they are rumors, but nobody outright said steve, ryu, geno, lloyd or wah. These are just assumptions.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm suddenly reminded of all the "Geno was leakbait for Hero" nonsense back in the day and now we have this development that Banjo and Steve were technically being worked on at the same time so I guess Hero and Geno being a similar case could be totally plausible. Beyond this, we now have to play the game of "leakbait or really ****in' early" because this whole mess definitely shines a giant light on Chief, Ryu, Waluigi, Lloyd, and Geno.
Say, since characters like Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy have also been rumored for a long time, maybe they could also be part of Fighters Pass Vol. 2?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Say, since characters like Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy have also been rumored for a long time, maybe they could also be part of Fighters Pass Vol. 2?
Even though the whole Bethesda interview still is a thing, since Master Chief is pretty much out of the running for Pass 2, maybe Doomguy has a better chance after all? Please?

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's the wild thing about this. If Chief isn't a Mii Costume on Saturday... He could still be in the running which could imply the four "bonus" characters are actually true. The 16 dummyslots were in the game's code in January 2019 and if it takes this long for characters to pan out...Maybe this was the plan all along?
I'm suddenly reminded of all the "Geno was leakbait for Hero" nonsense back in the day and now we have this development that Banjo and Steve were technically being worked on at the same time so I guess Hero and Geno being a similar case could be totally plausible. Beyond this, we now have to play the game of "leakbait or really ****in' early" because this whole mess definitely shines a giant light on Chief, Ryu, Waluigi, Lloyd, and Geno.
As I've said before, they wouldn't add x amount of slots if they had no intention of filling them, the question is how, and that is why I keep going back to the number of stages and whether or not it has a limit like the dummy slots.

This is all part of speculation that I know some prefer to not talk about it, but it would not surprise me if there would be a FP3, but for now, yes, we speculate on what we have, FP2.

In light of todays announcement, we HONESTLY have no idea what is happening behind closed doors, as much as we would like to be in the room where it happened (yes, I'm quoting Hamilton, dammit!). I'm really surprised and ecstatic we got Steve, mainly because of how unexpected he was (Just so we're clear, I've never played Minecraft, so there you go)

Its incredibly interesting how Steve was rumored WAY BACK before Ultimate's EVERYONE IS HERE video, and as time went on, we dismissed it. Instead, it should have just been placed in the background. As of today, its confirmed he is coming, but was he intended for base or DLC? It feels like to me he was meant to be base.

With Ryu, I remember reading that Tecmo was rumored to be negotiated and then dropped, and that was why Capcom was one of the last to be added. Whether its true or not remains to be seen, but its one of those things that are likely to happen behind the scenes which would contribute to a delay, the same as a long development time like Steve and Minecraft Content.

That said, I do agree with the companies you have speculated, but as for the characters, to me, it is still up in the air. I don't know how I feel about chief UNLESS he would be for a supposed FP3. Eliminate him, you have Waluigi, Geno, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd, Crash, Dante, but I would add to that speculation Travis (The only character I'm really rooting for is Geno, I have no attachment to the others, except for MAYBE Crash).

As always with speculating, we take these rumors with a grain of salt, and we shouldn't dismiss them right away because it doesn't fit within OUR timetable.(Looking at you Cacomallow)

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think we'll get anymore 1st party characters? Aside from Pokemon maybe not imo.
If those Golden Sun remake rumors pan out, I won't discount Isaac entirely. However if they don't come out or release after 2021 then he has 0% chance imo.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
He has literally already been in a fighting game.
I think we've reached the Point that "To Weird to have a Moveset" is long past us.
Sure, but in order for them to do that they had to over-exaggerate everything to the point that his gameplay style barely matches the spirit of his home series. And before you mention that we've had traditionally non-combatants join Smash before such as VIllager and WiiFit Trainer, both of those character's movesets are not only comprised mostly of things they do that can be made into physical attacks, but also do a very good job at reflecting the spirit of their home series.
  • Animal Crossing may be a placcid, pacifistic game, but a lot of the actions your villager can perform can be very accurately incorporated into their Smash moveset, such as pocketing items for later, planting and chopping down trees, pulling weeds from out of the ground, digging with a shovel, etc.
  • WiiFit isn't a violent game whatsoever, but everything they do is physical fitness, whether that be taking deep breaths in order to power themselves up, headbutting a volleyball, using hula hoops, or performing the numerous yoga poses in their repetoir in order to physically strike foes.
Phoenix Wright is a lawyer who not only doesn't traditionally fight, but whose gameplay is entirely based around detective work and constructing arguments. The most physiclly active things he does are pointing his finger and slamming his desk. Now I'm not saying they couldn't find a way to make a non-active non-combatant like Phoenix Wright work, but it would be very hard to do so unless they're willing to do what MvC does, and I really don't see them doing that.

Today has been wild Steve is in Smash, Borat 2 is a film that's actually happening, what is next?
Are you ****ing serious?! Borat 2?! WHYYYYYYY HOLLYWOOD WHYYYYYYY?! JUST LEAVE OUR GOOD MOVIES ALONE FOR ****'S SAKE!

I'm waiting for a big brain fatman ramble tbh
I'm waitin' for the papagenos papagenos video myself.

My friends were convinced it was gonna be a Pokemon for this reveal. Glad we were all wrong.
I think everyone was glad it wasn't a ****ing Pokemon character.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Are you *ing serious?! Borat 2?! WHYYYYYYY HOLLYWOOD WHYYYYYYY?! JUST LEAVE OUR GOOD MOVIES ALONE FOR *'S SAKE!
It's already filmed and it's Cohen in disguises as Borat trying to get back his country's good name that he sullied because of the first movie. It's coming out October 23rd on Amazon Prime. It actually looks like it might have some pretty funny bits surprisingly, one of which includes him interrupting Mike Pence in a Trump disguise.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Its great that geno is still in a really good spot, but its just so dang annoying that we have to start this waiting game all over again. Before steve i was expecting fp8 to show up in 2021 but now i think we could definitely see 8 this year. maybe before the mario tournament hint hint nudge nudge geno time

Chad K Rule

Smash Cadet
So two microsoft reps were leaked back then, there was also that square leak. Who's names were on it again? We know Erdrick was one of them.

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I'm a bit worried that Steve/Alex ended up with a blue color here.... Is color theory still in play?

dlccolors.png

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
I would say Issac, Rex, or Porky since he’s missing, but that’s just characters I want.
Its great that geno is still in a really good spot, but its just so dang annoying that we have to start this waiting game all over again. Before steve i was expecting fp8 to show up in 2021 but now i think we could definitely see 8 this year. maybe before the mario tournament hint hint nudge nudge geno time
I feel like Geno might actually be shown before the Mario Tournament!

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Characters that were heavily heard by a insider at one point or another (or just widely rumored) but dropped completely out of rumors, and have nothing pertaining to Smash yet.

• Ryu Hayabusa (Really likely)
  • Katalina from Granblue (Hitagi mentioned Steve along with her back in 2018, I think Verge backed up a little, but not too much).
  • Master Chief (likely dead)
  • Yuri Lowell (mentioned alongside Lloyd plenty of times, but died down around the beginning/middle of last year)
  • The entirety of the 7 Squares leak barring Geno (since he didn't drop out of speculation) and Sora (likely dead due to Disney).
  • But especially Sephiroth (Rumored a ton around Game Awards 2018)

That's all I can recall. I'm not counting on characters like Doomguy, Reimu, Arle, Geno, etc because they aren't dead or have some rumors supporting them. There's probably a couple that I'm forgetting here and there.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
First, it was Banjo and Kazooie vs. Steve.
Most people expected Steve, but we got Banjo.

Next, it was Steve vs. Chief.
A lot of people expected Chief but we got Steve.

Funny how stuff like this happens, right?
Next it will be Chief vs. Blinx.
Most people will be expecting Chief but instead we'll get Tee Golma.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Characters that were heavily heard by a insider at one point or another (or just widely rumored) but dropped completely out of rumors, and have nothing pertaining to Smash yet.

• Katalina from Granblue (Hitagi mentioned Steve along with her back in 2018, I think Verge backed up a little, but not too much).
  • Yuri Lowell (mentioned alongside Lloyd plenty of times, but died down around the beginning/middle of last year)
  • The entirety of the 7 Squares leak barring Geno (since he didn't drop out of speculation) and Sora (likely dead due to Disney).

That's all I can recall. I'm not counting on characters like Doomguy, Reimu, Arle, Geno, etc because they aren't dead or have some rumors supporting them. There's probably a couple that I'm forgetting here and there.
Katalina’s the one I’m most curious about, because way back when we got reports that they were in talks about having Katalina/Granblue content of some kind appear in something, but then it kinda just disappeared and we still don’t know what it was for. I think most people just assumed it was talking about the Granblue fighting game, or that perhaps Nintendo did talk to them about Katalina but it fell through, but from Sakurai’s comments in the reveal video + insider commentary today post-announcement, the same could be said about Steve and now 3 years later (or 1.5-2 years from when Minecraft in Smash rumors entered the fray), we get Steve in Smash despite Sakurai saying that he was a difficult character to both conceptualists a move set for and create as a fighter because of his unique properties.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it? And if they were in talks over Katalina, if the talks didn’t go far because of similar issues of moveset, now that she has an established play style because of the fighting game, if perhaps their first-picks for FP2 were characters they couldn’t realize for base/FP1, it’s very possible that Katalina just unexpectedly shot up the totem pole of likeliness with today’s reveal

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if they're gonna make Master Chief a deluxe Mii Costume? I mean all of the Mii costumes so far have been gunners but I guess we'll see on Saturday on MicrosoftBall Z!

7NATOR

Smash Master

Yeah, with 7 Squares, Geno, Sephiroth, Chrono, and Sora are in play, but I'm not Counting on Sora or Chrono Honestly.

While I don't know about Granblue becoming playable, One thing to also consider is that Cygames and Nintendo teamed up to make a New, First Party I.P in Dragalia Lost, which came out Months before Ultimate Released. Draglia Lost could get that ARMS Treatment if you know what i mean (especially since the Series is no where to be seen)

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Can you please inform me of Fatman's mii fighter costume list
These next two days could be a real evidence clincher for us, either with CacoMallow or with Fatman's mii fighter costume list. This might be the most important wave yet

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, this "insider" was told this, but the orders ended up being wrong.

They have been right on stuff in the past, but also wrong on a lot too.

If true though, this doesn't bode well for Geno :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom