• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ryu is probably a mii costume, to be honest. That's all I will say. Could be wrong of course. I have no energy today lol plus i'm sick since i woke up
Maybe. That's the shoe I'm waiting to see drop. Like I've said, nothing Koei Tecmo has come up except Ryu and I'm honestly wondering what this all means. We just now know there was likely significance in Ryu coming up as early as 2018 but we don't know what yet.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
-The Mario tournament in November is now looking extra sus.
I still think that Mario tournament WOULD have been connected, but is not anymore on the current timeline.

UNLESS they reveal a Mario fighter (i.e. Geno) before the start of the tourney, which means it must happen before, what, the first week of November or whenever the tourney is? It's not unrealistic for another reveal before then OR a new direct, but Nintendo's current trajectory with this pass doesn't give me much faith that will happen

pinshadow

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, this "insider" was told this, but the orders ended up being wrong.

They have been right on stuff in the past, but also wrong on a lot too.

It true though, this doesn't bode well for Geno :(
Oh, Hotgirl can CAN IT. This is piggybacking at it's finest. "Oh, Travis in Smash has been going around a bunch since Suda didn't answer a question about smash, better cryptically tease that it's Travis. What's that, I was wrong? Uh, actually we heard Minecraft was coming in SPRING but never said anything about it, also Ryu and another Zelda character are in lol, we just know 4 of the characters in the Pass and their release windows."

1566872378760.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, first things first, I gotta gloat.

Every time I said that Sakurai said the character needs to have showed up on a Nintendo console? I was right. Sorry, Master Chief. And it's looking really likely that mechanics that are so outlandish they push the boundaries of Smash is the reason that the estimated finish date is in 2021 is also something I was right about. Oh, and you know the best part?

Every time I said that a 10 AM presentation for a character sucks? Because they know Smash fans are not gonna be hype? Wew, lad.

1541564096951.gif

Alright, that's enough of that. There's no real winners here, namely because I also have to hold an L.

TheCJBrine TheCJBrine I gotta thoroughly apologize for all the times I dunked on Steve or played down his chances in this thread. You had a passion for the character and I was probably coming off as rude.

So... after having thought about it heavily, this being an E3 reveal makes sense even in the context of Sakurai saying that it took forever to make this character work. Steve is clearly a character who has to gather resources from the stage and has interactions with every stage in a unique way, and yes, that did take time, but probably not 10 months of 2020. Note that Sakurai was still speaking from his house, (on his couch that everyone acted like costs a fortune when it's just about an average priced couch, my mans ain't shopping at Ikea) do we know for sure that he and the team are still working from home? Japan ended their lockdown in late May, which was shortly after Sakurai filmed Min Min's video by his own admission.
1601570285303.png

I find myself genuinely wondering if that little tree behind him is fake. It seems like it would be very hard to care for an actual live tree, and one of the trees has nothing to catch any water that may come out of the bottom when watering it... But that bad boy hasn't changed at all between the Min Min and Steve presentations. This is probably a silly assumption to make, but I don't think this Steve recording happened long after the Min Min one. Something else to note is that the video quality in the Steve recording seems to be a bit worse, but it could just be because of how bright it is in Sakurai's living room.

Obviously, had E3 happened, this recording likely wouldn't have come from his house, but I just wanted to throw it out there that Steve did not take this long and, as we usually suspect, Sakurai has been done with him for ages and had to wait for Nintendo to move. What we saw would have been ready to go at E3. Now, I don't think there was a character swap - I think that unfortunately, Nintendo is just so ****ing braindead that they don't realize what a match made in heaven Geno and the number 77 is. Maybe it's something they felt would be too obvious? Either way, I'm with Fatman on the fact that E3 probably had two characters lined up because it always does.

A musing I had earlier that I feel might be of importance is that at E3 2019, Nintendo lead off with a Square pick that was 100% a business move. Hero was advertising an exclusive version of Dragon Quest 11 and was a really strong play by SquareEnix to pump up the popularity of Dragon Quest in the west. Nintendo also went to Microsoft and retrieved a 100% fan pick that benefit them in absolutely no way aside from the media attention it got. I mean, let us not forget that Sakurai had to say "go play Banjo Kazooie on the Xbox" and Nintendo itself was surprised that Banjo was actually as popular as we made him out to be.

Now let's see 2020. Nintendo leads off with a Microsoft pick that was 100% a business move. Minecraft is the best selling game of all time and they know it's going to turn heads to be in Smash and sell like hotcakes. To them, it's likely to increase awareness of Minecraft and its spinoffs being available on Switch and that's going to be a powerful flag to bear in the coming years as Nintendo maybe kind of has a somewhat more powerful Switch version coming out and that's all they've got to compete with the big dogs. Providing a budget alternative that can run one of the most popular franchises in the world very well could be their game plan. So if we were to continue mirroring E3, we would get a fan pick from SquareEnix that does very little for Nintendo... But we have heard so much about Super Mario RPG Remake... Would that even be the case?

I also want to throw out there that despite how long it's been, I don't think Cacomallow is off the table yet. If this had been any normal year, sure... but Nintendo has screwed the pooch and have had the ultimate excuse to cover them. I think we can give it a little more leeway than we would anything else in normal circumstances. Not to mention, the Mario tournament was scheduled for "November or December", like once again, they didn't know exactly when they were going to be ready for it... It's just strange.

I feel like there was more that I wanted to point out, but I'm hungry and maybe still ****ed up by the fact that Minecraft Steve is in Smash and looks like he was photoshopped into every screenshot he's in. This thread had over 300 guests in it earlier and I hate to disappoint you guys but no one here is gonna go nuclear, you're not gonna farm salt out of us.

Geno lived, *****.

D

Deleted member

Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer), Johanna Dark (Perfect Dark), 2B (Nier Automata) and a Sony character were the names he was given
We certainly could use that Joanna Dark costume so that the 2B costume seems more likely alongside Mallow and Smithy to come with Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I got called into a meeting shortly before the reveal... Came back to this.
I wonder if they're gonna make Master Chief a deluxe Mii Costume? I mean all of the Mii costumes so far have been gunners but I guess we'll see on Saturday on MicrosoftBall Z!
What a wacky timeline we would live in if Steve is a fighter and Master Chief is a Mii Costume. That being said, Steve looks like a great WTF character. I have zero interest in Minecraft but, in the context of Smash, Steve looks dope. It's also great that this wasn't leaked the night before. I'm convinced now, more than ever, that Geno will be the final reveal.

Heoj

Smash Ace

Every time I said that Sakurai said the character needs to have showed up on a Nintendo console? I was right. Sorry, Master Chief. And it's looking really likely that mechanics that are so outlandish they push the boundaries of Smash is the reason that the estimated finish date is in 2021 is also something I was right about. Oh, and you know the best part?

Every time I said that a 10 AM presentation for a character sucks? Because they know Smash fans are not gonna be hype? Wew, lad.

View attachment 287791

Alright, that's enough of that. There's no real winners here, namely because I also have to hold an L.

TheCJBrine TheCJBrine I gotta thoroughly apologize for all the times I dunked on Steve or played down his chances in this thread. You had a passion for the character and I was probably coming off as rude.

So... after having thought about it heavily, this being an E3 reveal makes sense even in the context of Sakurai saying that it took forever to make this character work. Steve is clearly a character who has to gather resources from the stage and has interactions with every stage in a unique way, and yes, that did take time, but probably not 10 months of 2020. Note that Sakurai was still speaking from his house, (on his couch that everyone acted like costs a fortune when it's just about an average priced couch, my mans ain't shopping at Ikea) do we know for sure that he and the team are still working from home? Japan ended their lockdown in late May, which was shortly after Sakurai filmed Min Min's video by his own admission.
View attachment 287810

I find myself genuinely wondering if that little tree behind him is fake. It seems like it would be very hard to care for an actual live tree, and one of the trees has nothing to catch any water that may come out of the bottom when watering it... But that bad boy hasn't changed at all between the Min Min and Steve presentations. This is probably a silly assumption to make, but I don't think this Steve recording happened long after the Min Min one. Something else to note is that the video quality in the Steve recording seems to be a bit worse, but it could just be because of how bright it is in Sakurai's living room.

Obviously, had E3 happened, this recording likely wouldn't have come from his house, but I just wanted to throw it out there that Steve did not take this long and, as we usually suspect, Sakurai has been done with him for ages and had to wait for Nintendo to move. What we saw would have been ready to go at E3. Now, I don't think there was a character swap - I think that unfortunately, Nintendo is just so ****ing braindead that they don't realize what a match made in heaven Geno and the number 77 is. Maybe it's something they felt would be too obvious? Either way, I'm with Fatman on the fact that E3 probably had two characters lined up because it always does.

A musing I had earlier that I feel might be of importance is that at E3 2019, Nintendo lead off with a Square pick that was 100% a business move. Hero was advertising an exclusive version of Dragon Quest 11 and was a really strong play by SquareEnix to pump up the popularity of Dragon Quest in the west. Nintendo also went to Microsoft and retrieved a 100% fan pick that benefit them in absolutely no way aside from the media attention it got. I mean, let us not forget that Sakurai had to say "go play Banjo Kazooie on the Xbox" and Nintendo itself was surprised that Banjo was actually as popular as we made him out to be.

Now let's see 2020. Nintendo leads off with a Microsoft pick that was 100% a business move. Minecraft is the best selling game of all time and they know it's going to turn heads to be in Smash and sell like hotcakes. To them, it's likely to increase awareness of Minecraft and its spinoffs being available on Switch and that's going to be a powerful flag to bear in the coming years as Nintendo maybe kind of has a somewhat more powerful Switch version coming out and that's all they've got to compete with the big dogs. Providing a budget alternative that can run one of the most popular franchises in the world very well could be their game plan. So if we were to continue mirroring E3, we would get a fan pick from SquareEnix that does very little for Nintendo... But we have heard so much about Super Mario RPG Remake... Would that even be the case?

I also want to throw out there that despite how long it's been, I don't think Cacomallow is off the table yet. If this had been any normal year, sure... but Nintendo has screwed the pooch and have had the ultimate excuse to cover them. I think we can give it a little more leeway than we would anything else in normal circumstances. Not to mention, the Mario tournament was scheduled for "November or December", like once again, they didn't know exactly when they were going to be ready for it... It's just strange.

I feel like there was more that I wanted to point out, but I'm hungry and maybe still ****ed up by the fact that Minecraft Steve is in Smash and looks like he was photoshopped into every screenshot he's in. This thread had over 300 guests in it earlier and I hate to disappoint you guys but no one here is gonna go nuclear, you're not gonna farm salt out of us.

Geno lived, *****.
Damn, I pretty much agree with everything here, only difference is, I probably couldn't have written in so much detail.

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet

View attachment 287791

View attachment 287810

Geno lived, *****.
a very interesting analysis. and you are right, Geno fans aren't going to blow up. actually, not all smash fans are gonna blow up in anger from this

i am interested to see what will be brought to the table in the coming months, be it a square character such as geno, a character such as travis or dante, or perhaps a obscure character we have yet to really see.

2 spots down, 4 spots to go. and an entire year ahead of us. i have a feeling something interesting is going to happen within November/December. something to explode proportions out the water and make us hype beyond belief. what that thing is yet, i don't know. but we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, that's the wild thing about this. If Chief isn't a Mii Costume on Saturday... He could still be in the running which could imply the four "bonus" characters are actually true. The 16 dummyslots were in the game's code in January 2019 and if it takes this long for characters to pan out...Maybe this was the plan all along?
I hope you’re right. I think Steve is a great addition & I love Minecraft, but it’s a bit of a blow to my dreams of Chief. I have to imagine this is how a lot of you guys felt with Hero last year.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well it wasn't Geno, but he lives another day.

I've never extensively played Minecraft but Steve looks absolutely bonkers, going to use the Zombie alt. Can't wait to see the breakdown of this character on the 3rd.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
So if the next wave of Smash amiibo get announced on Saturday, is that date going to be around when we expect Fighter 8 to be revealed?
If not the amiibo release dates, we can always rely on good ol' 7/11.

...jesus, what a weird timeline of Smash we've found ourselves in; 7/11 is now one of the most reliable sources for when a new fighter is to be revealed/released.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hope you’re right. I think Steve is a great addition & I love Minecraft, but it’s a bit of a blow to my dreams of Chief. I have to imagine this is how a lot of you guys felt with Hero last year.
Yeah because I'm definitely getting deja vu. Remember when Xenother and Hitagi said in 2018 they believed Steve was coming because they claimed they not only saw screenshots but even video footage? Maybe they were telling the truth based on what Imran Khan said today. On my end, Chief still has a lot in his corner and I'm genuinely sorry if he winds up being a Mii costume but A LOT of people can verify that a lot of funny business has been going on with Chief since last fall. He's another one of those "peak prevalence" characters like Geno and Ryu that so many reputable people have heard him that something's definitely up with him. There's some people in my circle I can ask to see if they would be willing to publicly back me on the stuff on Chief because it's definitely not a Fatman Exclusive ™.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I'm so glad we got Steve over Master Chief. Don't get me wrong Chief is cool but I have more of a history of Minecraft. Sales wise, this was definitely a good choice on Nintendo's part.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah because I'm definitely getting deja vu. Remember when Xenother and Hitagi said in 2018 they believed Steve was coming because they claimed they not only saw screenshots but even video footage? Maybe they were telling the truth based on what Imran Khan said today. On my end, Chief still has a lot in his corner and I'm genuinely sorry if he winds up being a Mii costume but A LOT of people can verify that a lot of funny business has been going on with Chief since last fall. He's another one of those "peak prevalence" characters like Geno and Ryu that so many reputable people have heard him that something's definitely up with him. There's some people in my circle I can ask to see if they would be willing to publicly back me on the stuff on Chief because it's definitely not a Fatman Exclusive ™.
At this point, all we can do is wait for Saturday, watch for the Mii Fighter costumes and next wave of amiibo announcements, and start speculating on FP8 from there

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
My predictions have changed in light of this reveal.
Here’s what I expect to happen now:

• Geno - To please the fans
  • Crash - To bring more folks to smash
  • AoC Impa - To finally give Zelda new representation
  • A SwSh Pokémon - Because Nintendo loves to disappoint us with the bottom of the DLC bucket because most of us will have already given Nintendo our money by now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I am speechless. Steve from Minecraft made it into Smash. That's incredible.

Honestly, Steve was not a character I was personally advocating for or supporting or even thinking would make it into Smash due to the whole idea that he wouldn't have a good moveset. UNLESS he was kind of a strange amalgamation of his home game and act like :ultpacman: and :ultgnw: in regards of how he fights. Or be some kind of an odd Earthmaker/Geomancer. And I also thought that there has to be some kind of Alt-Appearances for him due to one being able to change his appearance and making him different. Somehow, someway.

And that's what we got. I am content with him in that case. He looks quirky and fun to play as and it'll be interesting to see how it'll be against him.

The stage looks amazing. Totally representative of what Minecraft is.

Speculation certainly will change after this and hopefully this makes people learn to not take things for granted until they happen. Saturday will be a thing to see, not only for now Steve might work but what Mii Costumes will come with him.

Cacomallow might still be possible if we considered the whole Microsoft purchase thing. But it can also not be the case. It's in the air, like always.

Master Chief could probably happen but I don't know. He definitely took a lethal blow with this reveal.

Geno is still in the clear, he didn't necessarily had to be 77 only.

Congrats to the supporters of Steve, apologies to the MC's supporters, Good Will to Doom Slayer's supporters (me included) as he might be possible now due to MC's fate, and Good wishes to my fellow Geno supporters.

Stay strong and keep moving forward!

:bowser::starman:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom