• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's the wild thing about this. If Chief isn't a Mii Costume on Saturday... He could still be in the running which could imply the four "bonus" characters are actually true. The 16 dummyslots were in the game's code in January 2019 and if it takes this long for characters to pan out...Maybe this was the plan all along?
Don't give me that hope fatman lmfao

a random user

Smash Journeyman
So... A second Microsoft character was right... But it was Steve... Who was leakbait for Banjo... So does that mean Chief was leakbait for Steve? On top of all of this... If Steve was the opening act for E3 2020... Who the hell is the 8? Could it be Geno in line with Ridley and Banjo? God, what a twist.
watch as we get a fighter pass 3 with master chief as well

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I mean, you guys kept saying they needed something bigger than Min Min to sell the pass. Got a feeling that a character from the most successful video game of all time just might do that.
I'd Still Prefer Geno OVER A BLOCKHEAD Like Steve!!!

At Least GENO STILL has 4 More Chances to be A Smash Fighter!!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Soooo, will Steve be the new Byleth? As in, will we be hearing nonstop complaints until FP8 is revealed? I'm sure that's the case every time a character is revealed, but I can't help feel Steve is a new level of controversial. Some people's minds were so set in stone that Steve wasn't feasible and not on the table at all...
I think it will be the opposite, actually. Many thought Steve couldn't happen. Many thought FE shouldn't happen.

Minecraft covers a far, far, FAR bigger gaming spectrum with people and is much more well known and successful. I think once the shock wears down, people will be more inclined to welcome Steve.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Digesting all this still, but I'm surprised how many people split on Geno now. Some are convinced he's still coming, some are shook enough to think this is the end for him.

I'll restate it: he's not going to come out before the Mario tournament, so that theory is out the window. Beyond that, he still has heaps of stuff that would be in his favor. Who knows!

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Soooo, will Steve be the new Byleth? As in, will we be hearing nonstop complaints until FP8 is revealed? I'm sure that's the case every time a character is revealed, but I can't help feel Steve is a new level of controversial. Some people's minds were so set in stone that Steve wasn't feasible and not on the table at all...
Nah, not even close
Byleth was more controversial due to being a character in an overrepresented franchise. Yes, they brought the unique weapon triangle, but that was overlooked by a lot of people because they were PISSED.
Steve on the other hand, despite being a blank avatar, comes from a universally loved game and has an insane moveset. I honestly think whatever controversy there is right now will die out by next week.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna sound greedy and I'm happy that we are getting another pass but if Pass 2 is really the end I'll definitely be surprised. Ultimate might be the only game where we'll get this sheer amount of characters and the DLC is a huge moneymaker for Nintendo. Those dummy slots might mean something but I'm not sure.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Is anyone else surprised by how secretive Nintendo/Microsoft were able to be about this reveal? Microsoft has leaked a lot of stuff(though, some seems intentional), but this was pretty tightlipped, right?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Digesting all this still, but I'm surprised how many people split on Geno now. Some are convinced he's still coming, some are shook enough to think this is the end for him.

I'll restate it: he's not going to come out before the Mario tournament, so that theory is out the window. Beyond that, he still has heaps of stuff that would be in his favor. Who knows!
Keep in mind that the Minecraft stuff was in negotiations for 3 years, meaning all the older stuff like the music takedowns, Legacy XP takedowns, and other noteworthy aspects tied to Geno still count

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
You know, when I thought about Steve getting into Smash, I kinda always told myself “I would be a bit disappointed if he does”, but as soon as I realized it was Minecraft I just got a huge smile on my face. Honesty, I’m not even mad, Steve looks super fun, we got Alex as an alt as expected (WE HAVE A BLACK ALEX ALT), but the Zombie and Enderman took me completely by surprise (and then made me disappointed we didn’t get Villager/Pillager alts too), and the move set and stage look really fun.

Steve in no way prevents Geno from coming, and on the contrary, as mentioned before this almost-definitely would’ve been the first E3 reveal assuming the fighters were shuffled around as has been mentioned, so that leaves the second reveal/FP8 to be something/someone really special and important to the Smash community on the level of Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo, to which Geno of course qualifies wholeheartedly. We may have to wait longer to get Geno, but Steve is really a lowkey hype choice and none of the evidence we have for Geno was deflated or proven incorrect at all except for the fact that he’s not FP7/#77.

We’re used to buckling in for the ride and waiting, what’s another character reveal? We got this, I don’t see how anyone could truly be mad at Steve even if they’re uninterested in him as a character/idea or Minecraft as a game. It also proves several theories correct and even proves Vergeben correct too all these years later (which also happened with the Sal Romano leaks from the WII U/3DS days), so that only helps Geno’s case since so many of theories involve Geno in some capacity

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if Steve is the Microsoft rep and not Master Chief, than maybe a certain lawyer is the Capcom rep instead of Dante. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Dante, but I have no attachment towards the Devil May Cry games. I would just prefer Phoenix more.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I highly doubt it. At most, Enderdragon will probably be a stage cameo.
Ooh, new theory - Steve was meant for base game (like Hero), and Rathalos was originally supposed to be the Enderdragon as a boss fight, but either talks fell through initially for Steve or it was decided that the move set for Steve would be too difficult to develop at that point and needed more time, so Enderdragon was replaced by Rathalos, which is why we don’t have a playable Monster Hunter character and Rathalos otherwise seems like a bit of a random inclusion in the game with very little MH content in the base game besides it.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So, the Cloud and Mario amiibos rereleases, the SMRPG tweets from Jeff Grubb and Imran Khan and the postponed Mario tournament were just coincidences after all...
Yep, looks like it. Smash is constantly struck by coincidences where it looks like its clearly pointing to something multiple times but ends up being nothing just by shear chance. I think the worst one was the Grinch Lie with Isaac. That gets shown and by complete chance the official site has a glitch on the mural on the EXACT spot where the Grinch Hoax placed Isaac and it only happened on that spot (and this is around the time that being plant item was seen in a quick second which people thought was Golden Sun related). But nope, it was just a coincidence, although I stand by the idea that instance was the universe just being a complete ***.

So did any insider do a Banjo moment hint before Steve's reveal?

And all those random insiders/potential news getting people tweeting about Geno around the same time meant nothing but a coincidence? Even so, that's just weird.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
So if Steve is the Microsoft rep and not Master Chief, than maybe a certain lawyer is the Capcom rep instead of Dante. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Dante, but I have no attachment towards the Devil May Cry games. I would just prefer Phoenix more.
That does add more questions to the "what is leakbait?" pile for sure.

Was Decidueye leakbait for Incineroar?

Was the entire Grinchleak leakbait?

Was Hayabusa leakbait for Byleth?

Was Chief leakbait for Steve?

Was Steve originally leakbait for Banjo? (but now apparently not)

Is Geno leakbait for somebody else from Square? (there's still the "Square 7" to contend with)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ooh, new theory - Steve was meant for base game (like Hero), and Rathalos was originally supposed to be the Enderdragon as a boss fight, but either talks fell through initially for Steve or it was decided that the move set for Steve would be too difficult to develop at that point and needed more time, so Enderdragon was replaced by Rathalos, which is why we don’t have a playable Monster Hunter character and Rathalos otherwise seems like a bit of a random inclusion in the game with very little MH content in the base game besides it.
Or maybe Banjo & Kazooie were planned for base instead seeing as cut Jetforce Gemini and Blast Corps files were found within the game's code. But it doesn't matter as they're both in now.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Yep, looks like it. Smash is constantly struck by coincidences where it looks like its clearly pointing to something multiple times but ends up being nothing just by shear chance. I think the worst one was the Grinch Lie with Isaac. That gets shown and by complete chance the official site has a glitch on the mural on the EXACT spot where the Grinch Hoax placed Isaac and it only happened on that spot (and this is around the time that being plant item was seen in a quick second which people thought was Golden Sun related). But nope, it was just a coincidence, although I stand by the idea that instance was the universe just being a complete ***.

And all those random insiders/potentialnrws getting people tweeting about Geno around the same time meant nothing but a coincidence? Even so, that's just weird.
The same guy who leaked Byleth like an hour before on Reddit in January did the same thing for Steve, you can see people talking about it right before the reveal in this thread. ZhugEx did the thing where he teased it right before with "data miners" as well. But in general it seems like people only found out like a day in advance at most if at all.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
the smash bros website has updated showing steve as the next fighter...

... but the banner hasn't updated yet i spent a while looking at it, but steve is still missing, this implies that we might not be waiting long for 8 (or they just forgot to update it)

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

And all those random insiders/potentialnrws getting people tweeting about Geno around the same time meant nothing but a coincidence? Even so, that's just weird.
Yes. Someone on Resetera said Banjo would have a "smashing good time." There were also supposed comments made to papagenos papagenos and others. We also had people like John from Gamexplain constantly saying "it was Banjo's time to return."

Remember that FP8 could be the original intended 2nd E3 reveal, and all those comments/"hints" came out around then (even the Gamestop video). So... you know...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

ZhugeEX made a tweet saying that Fighter 7 would be third-party, and that he was surprised that "data miners" didn't catch on to them sooner.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe Banjo & Kazooie were planned for base instead seeing as cut Jetforce Gemini and Blast Corps files were found within the game's code. But it doesn't matter as they're both in now.
Which is weird because both those spirits were never added later one. Remember how everyone thought Banjo would come with Rare spirits and such? I wonder if they were negotiating for ALL of that but only ended up getting Banjo. I've said this for a while, but never on here: Banjo's content seems a little lacking compared to other characters. I mean, his spirit choices are very base level choices that you just find on his stage. And it made SO much sense to include more music tracks or Rare content alongside him.

Though, Mega Man didn't come with a ton in Smash 4 and then got a lot more in Ultimate. So, if Banjo comes with the next game, I'm sure he'd have more content alongside him.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of disappointed but mostly just because I really want Geno in and I hate that we have to do this for months to come still. My kids are super excited for this reveal though.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Which is weird because both those spirits were never added later one. Remember how everyone thought Banjo would come with Rare spirits and such? I wonder if they were negotiating for ALL of that but only ended up getting Banjo. I've said this for a while, but never on here: Banjo's content seems a little lacking compared to other characters. I mean, his spirit choices are very base level choices that you just find on his stage. And it made SO much sense to include more music tracks or Rare content alongside him.

Though, Mega Man didn't come with a ton in Smash 4 and then got a lot more in Ultimate. So, if Banjo comes with the next game, I'm sure he'd have more content alongside him.
Eh, I still think those Spirits were a mistake since they are two of the more obscure Rare games and Nintendo published them in Japan.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, in summary about today:

The Bad:

-Geno's not 77

The Good:

-Smash rumors from 2018 are now confirmed relevant.

-The heavily implied Square Enix rep for Season 2 is still MIA.

-Geno's Mii costume is 99.99999999% not showing up on Saturday.

-Power of Six theory is now 2 for 2 in predicting companies involved in Season 2.

-We now have even stronger evidence that the E3 2020 closer was not only third party but a huge fan favorite. Our closers so far for Ultimate have been Ridley and Banjo so it's likely someone akin to them.

-The Mario tournament in November is now looking extra sus.

-Insider teasing about Geno from July now makes a whole lot more sense because they were expecting the E3 Presentation on July 20th.

-The GameStop leak now makes a lot more sense if Geno was meant to be the E3 closer.

-Geno's Mii costumes potentially being leaked last July makes a lot more sense now too.

-Cacomallow makes even more sense now if they were dinking with Minecraft stuff as far back as 2018.

-Geno being the closer for the E3 correlated to the 35th anniversary of Mario actually makes a lot of sense.

Not the Day™ but a weirdly good day.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually really hype for Steve now I was concerned when I heard about his rumors at first because I had no idea how they were going to make him fun or interesting, but the building block mechanic is insane and I can't wait to see the competitive use for it.

Anywho we'll see about the other 4 I still think Geno has a shot. And I think the variance of Min Min to a character from the most popular game of all time shows anyone's in the running imo

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah, Ryu Hayabusa is the big winner in all of this; as the rumors kind of died a while back, but with Steve coming in after so long after his rumors ended; Ryu Hayabusa has a pretty great shot of making it in. Tecmo is super buddy-buddy with Nintendo, and he has been one of the most expected characters for a long, long time; combined with the upcoming collection and all that.

Still think Geno has a pretty good shot, but by no means do I think he's a lock. Chief ended up being leakbait for Steve, I could see similar occurrences in the future. If this shows anything, Nintendo's pretty much locked down tight on leaks; and most insiders don't find out until a couple days prior. For all I know Geno could be leakbait for Sephiroth or Bravely 2.

I don't think 8 will end up being Geno/Square, but probably further down the line.

Really wondering what/if we get any returning mii's during the presentation. My bets are on Gil and Lloyd returning and hurting the chances for a Namco rep, I could also see the two MH costumes coming and hurting the chances for a Capcom rep. Don't think we'll get Chocobo/Geno though.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Man, imagine if we had a proper e3 with radical games and Steve AND Geno both being revealed for smash?

It could’ve been great.
If everything we've seen so far since the Mario 35th anniversary Direct has been stuff meant for an E3 Direct spread out over an extended period, and E3 2020 was supposed to have a double reveal like E3 2019... then I think Fighter 8 isn't far behind. Maybe not next week, maybe not this month, but I do think Fighter 8 (hopefully Geno) will be revealed sooner than we think, at least before 2020 ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom