• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Thinking about it, Im still confident in genos chances, I mean some people are gonna think geno is dead because they think he would have been announced for the mario celebration stuff. But as we have seen, the mario anniversary stuff got delayed a whole bunch and now the mario tournament got delayed as well. If covid wasn't a thing, Steve likely would have been an E3 opener reveal with geno as an E3 finale. I think it fits really well when you compare it with hero and banjo, so i think our chances are still looking really good.

sanjifacewithgenohat.png

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
P82ysA0HDYEAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

Uh, this is big. Remember how I've been emphasizing that sometimes things can take years to pan out? Apparently Minecraft content was three years in the making. Soooo... All the people who have said Smash rumors from 2018 were too old to be meaningful can now have a second helping of my ass. Wow... Verge's Minecraft stuff was right all along and the Geno, Waluigi, Ryu, and Lloyd rumors from back then just grew 2 foot long teeth. Damn. Watta day.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
i mean i know i shouldnt be disspointed, but theres a point where they know a character people want and they tease it.

a) mario of course,
b) then you get peach.
c) and to add salt to an already open wound they have cloud in the trailer, making me think "is it acctually him??"

yknow what i mean xDD

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Real quick, if this post doesn't get ignored/flooded.

Steve might screw up the competitive scene for Smash if his moveset implies what it does in the trailer. He mines iron from Battlefield. What if each stage has a resource for Steve to mine? Some have iron, others have diamonds. Depending on the stage, Steve can get a huge advantage.

That might be completely wrong, but imagine how they could affect stage legality?

edumolon11

Smash Cadet

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
When do you guys think Steve will release? This week or the next? Place your bets folks!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm not excited for Steve like I was for Banjo-Kazooie.

I'm not annoyed with Steve like I was with Byleth.

I feel nothing for him, but I won't lie: I was hoping for a whole list of characters before him first.

But Steve fans got their most wanted and that's what is important here. Its their time to enjoy.

BUUUTTT, I will admit that I am getting a bit annoyed that the bulk of the DLC is from new games from the past 10 years (Steve doesn't bother me that much in that regard, that is more from the characters who aren't even five years old yet).

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok guys, time to bring up Saturday's upcoming Steve/Alex character showcase presentation (which as specified on the official tweet, will be of approximately 40 minutes or so). During said presentation what we may expect is the usual: detailed info on Steve's moveset and playstyle, stage, music, and most importantly (as far as speculation is concerned) the accompanying wave of Mii Costumes. Things to note going into the Mii Costume showcase:
  • Steve is this Pass' Microsoft rep.
  • Recently it was made public that Microsoft had acquired ZeniMax (which includes Bethesda and Id Software)
With this, there is a possibility that among Steve's wave of Mii Costumes, the Cacodemon hat might come along with it. Other things to note on that point IF said hat is revealed:
  • If the Cacodemon hat is among the upcoming wave of Mii Costumes, and if it looks IDENTICAL to the one shown off in the CacoMallow leak images, then this would in a way soft-confirm the existence of the Mallow Mii hat and potentially soft-confirm Geno as a playable character.
  • On the other hand, if the Cacodemon hat is among the Mii Costumes, the chances for Doom Slayer as a playable fighter might decrease. This Mii hat would have been more fitting along a Mii Costume wave for a DOOM challenger pack.
On the topic of when we might get news for CP 8, I guess... The Game Awards...?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
so, my thoughts after all this..

the character i hate the most has been added, so future dlc literally can't be more disappointing, so thats good i guess.

at least it was a character who wasn't from fire emblem or a literal "who?".
geno isn't dead yet

small silver linings i suppose. i hope december/january is better :\
Even if you don't like Steve, you can't ignore that he was a popular requested character. Steve's inclusion shows Nintendo is listening to the fans.

Evanosha

Smash Rookie
I'll avoid smashboards and social media entirely besides discord because i know nothing good will come out of this. I'll just say I'm happy for the Steve fans who are cool people like @TheCJBrine and that well... Cacodemon could still come with Steve. So you know what that means...

CACOMALLOW IS STILL GODDAMN REAL
Every single platform has been really hyped for this, soooo

MisterMike

Smash Champion
If anything Chief not being in is good for Cacomallow, if you still believe in that.
Yeah actually, I was just about to say. It's likely that Steve's Mii Costumes could be the moment we get confirmation on Cacomallow. I mean, with Bethesda now being owned by Microsoft, getting a DOOM costume alongside Steve wouldn't be too out of the real of possibility. And on that note, I believe it's very unlikely we'll be getting the Geno costume and Chocobo hat alongside him, mainly because SquareEnix content has traditionally been very segregated. And besides, we still also have the two Monster Hunter costumes left, which I could easily see coming alongside Steve since it seems apparent that Capcom costumes tend to come in whenever.

Also, I love that Steves mural artwork is literally just is render lol
It's not actually his render, it's a bit different with the pickaxe and the hole he's coming out of.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Real quick, if this post doesn't get ignored/flooded.

Steve might screw up the competitive scene for Smash if his moveset implies what it does in the trailer. He mines iron from Battlefield. What if each stage has a resource for Steve to mine? Some have iron, others have diamonds. Depending on the stage, Steve can get a huge advantage.

That might be completely wrong, but imagine how they could affect stage legality?
It seems iterative. He actually mines stone a second before the iron. Probably the longer you do it the better material you get.

Last edited:

LDGno97

Smash Cadet
Well, this is not the end, obviously, but it sure is a kick in my gut. Don't get me wrong, I like Minecraft (and I'm still playing it with my brother until today)
But...I didn't want Steve as #7. I wanted Geno.
Either way I'm gonna watch the Sakurai Presents, and after that, gonna take a break.
Let's just keep on wishing, and waiting. Mantenganse fuertes y unidos hermanos
:starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

I'll be honest guys. The one character this helps is Ryu Hayabusa. Since he's also been heard a whole lot. I think he's probably the most likely character now.

I'm sorry about Geno. I know there's still a good chance for there is a Square Enix character, but this was the best time for him...so I'm not all that particularly hopeful.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Soooo, will Steve be the new Byleth? As in, will we be hearing nonstop complaints until FP8 is revealed? I'm sure that's the case every time a character is revealed, but I can't help feel Steve is a new level of controversial. Some people's minds were so set in stone that Steve wasn't feasible and not on the table at all...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
On the topic of when we might get news for CP 8, I guess... The Game Awards...?
If reveals are gonna stick to the "every three months" pace, I believe that would mean the next reveal will be in December... possibly sometime around when The Game Awards happens. That doesn't mean that it will happen, obviously, but considering we got at least one Game Awards reveal...

One problem though, there's still that Mario 35th anniversary tournament, and if Geno is supposed to be out before the tournament...

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

I'll be honest guys. The one character this helps is Ryu Hayabusa. Since he's also been heard a whole lot. I think he's probably the most likely character now.

I'm sorry about Geno. I know there's still a good chance for there is a Square Enix character, but this was the best time for him...so I'm not all that particularly hopeful.
Bro, this helps Geno too. Why do you think this thread has existed for so long?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If this is real, after the second pass, I wait for a third with 4 fighters to fill the 16 slots of the datamine. And one of those 4, 100% is master chief
Yeah, that's the wild thing about this. If Chief isn't a Mii Costume on Saturday... He could still be in the running which could imply the four "bonus" characters are actually true. The 16 dummyslots were in the game's code in January 2019 and if it takes this long for characters to pan out...Maybe this was the plan all along?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Soooo, will Steve be the new Byleth? As in, will we be hearing nonstop complaints until FP8 is revealed? I'm sure that's the case every time a character is revealed, but I can't help feel Steve is a new level of controversial. Some people's minds were so set in stone that Steve wasn't feasible and not on the table at all...
Well, Steve does have one thing in his favor: he's not the eighth Minecraft character in Smash.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I was not expecting Steve this morning. Not really wanted by me, but wow, did they do a great job of implementing the character and being true to the franchise. Master Chief took a hard hit today, so that bums me out, but hey, this character looks different and I know a lot of people wanted to see him playable. Congrats to the Steve fans! Also, still hoping for Chief, Geno, and more!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's the wild thing about this. If Chief isn't a Mii Costume on Saturday... He could still be in the running which could imply the four "bonus" characters are actually true. The 16 dummyslots were in the game's code in January 2019 and if it takes this long for characters to pan out...Maybe this was the plan all along?
Hope. I like it.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I know a lot of people are disappointed but as someone who used to play Minecraft all the time and as someone who didn't know how Steve would work purely from a moveset standpoint, Im really happy Steve's in smash.

Geno's is my #1 and always has been, but its really nice to see another big character that a lot of the fan base enjoys out of the way. Plus, im happy for the people who got their dream character! It must mean a lot to them that they got their character the same way all of us would be freaking out about Geno's inclusion. And also Geno is still super likely. Sure, he isn't #7, or fighter 77, but who's to say he doesn't still have a chance?

To the people who wanted Steve, im happy for you. And overall Steve looks like a fun character to play regardless. I think its a win win whether we got our character or not. We get another big character out of the way, we get a fun character to play, and our character we want is still very likely to be in the next 4.

Stay positive, and keep wishing. 👍

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
No, Steve was wanted by people for years, so he wasn't a pure promotional pick like Byleth was

Firox

Smash Master
I honestly just hope that Steve doesn't end up being that competitively good. It's going to be annoying enough watching the online modes FLOOD with tweens playing that guy, but I don't want to have to stare at him in all the AAA tournaments too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom