• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
CacoMallow is dead fellas. Without question.
Why is that exactly? Fighter's Pass 2 was finalized long before Microsoft acquired Bethesda so if Doom Slayer is in he would be acting as a Bethesda rep and not a Microsoft one since Nintendo made the deal with Bethesda to get him in before Microsoft bought them.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just to summarize Power of Six:

-The theory that every pack in the Fighter's Pass was originally meant to have 6 Mii costumes.

-"Missing" Mii costumes can be used as predictors for future characters and companies involved in Season 2.

-No true Nintendo or Microsoft costumes in the Fighter's Pass suggested packs dedicated to those companies in Season 2 (proven right as of today)

-Monster Hunter costumes potentially saved for another Capcom rep

-Geno and Chocobo saved for another Square rep

-Heihachi, Gil, and Lloyd potentially saved for a Namco rep
I don't know man, I get the feeling Namco dies on Saturday, if it wasn't already on shaky ground after Heihachi came back. Every pack sans Hero had atleast one returning costume and while I'd argue Monster Hunter makes sense here so does someone like Gil or Lloyd, and I'm way more confident in a Capcom rep than a Namco rep at the moment.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Just to summarize Power of Six:

-The theory that every pack in the Fighter's Pass was originally meant to have 6 Mii costumes.

-"Missing" Mii costumes can be used as predictors for future characters and companies involved in Season 2.

-No true Nintendo or Microsoft costumes in the Fighter's Pass suggested packs dedicated to those companies in Season 2 (proven right as of today)

-Monster Hunter costumes potentially saved for another Capcom rep

-Geno and Chocobo saved for another Square rep

-Heihachi, Gil, and Lloyd potentially saved for a Namco rep
So what do you make of the Ubisoft costumes that came with Byleth. Were all the Nintendo costumes used up with Min Min, does the theory leave room for another Nintendo character since Heihachi made it in with Min-Min?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay then. What about The Game Awards?
I don't know about the Game Awards but Nintendo finally got off its ass and is starting to show the E3 2020 stuff. I still think we might be getting a Direct like presentation by the end of the year.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If this was the E3 presentation, we would have had Microsoft and Square (hopefully) for the second year in a row just swapped on their order. Funny how things work out, huh?

Anyways Steve looks fun. Some jank, but it all seems intentional. And yes, I am counting on Geno still, so I’m doing just fine. I’m not worried.

Also, Cacomallow is still real. Even if it isn’t.
Can we talk about this point? How wild is that last year was
Hero, Square Enix and has a big appeal in Japan
Banjo, Microsoft and has a big Smash (fan) appeal

Where we could've had a similar reveal style but with the companies swapped
Steve, Microsoft and has a big appeal world-wide
Geno, Square Enix and has a big Smash (fan) appeal

It is kind of wild to speculate on.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know man, I get the feeling Namco dies on Saturday, if it wasn't already on shaky ground after Heihachi came back. Every pack sans Hero had atleast one returning costume and while I'd argue Monster Hunter makes sense here so does someone like Gil or Lloyd, and I'm way more confident in a Capcom rep than a Namco rep at the moment.
Even if the Lloyd and Gil Mii costumes come back on Saturday or in another pack, that doesn't count out Namco out of the game to get a 2nd rep.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Probably getting some info wrong but back in Fighter Pass 1 wasn’t there rumors of a Square Enix character being DLC before joker was announced? Maybe the same applies here where the info is correct but it’s just in a different order

who knows tho, curious to see when Fighter 8 is announced

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm ruling out another first-party character entirely now. Like we've established DLC characters tend to come in an unintentional order based on negotiations. First Party characters come first since they require the least, then third parties already involved in Smash, then new companies. This adds up with the sets of DLC in both 4 and Ultimate and is backed up by Steve being here. The only real exception would be some kind of promotional character like Corrin or Byleth since they literally have to come later since they are developed alongside their own games.

In other words, POKEMON IS DEAD FOR NOW BABY, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (sucks for any other first-party characters like Rex though.)

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I don't know about the Game Awards but Nintendo finally got off its ass and is starting to show the E3 2020 stuff. I still think we might be getting a Direct like presentation by the end of the year.
Watch as the third-party exclusive Partner Showcases start ramping up and getting better and better, eventually culminating in Geno, a third-party character, being revealed in one later this year.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think this kinda proves that pretty much any leak that comes out right now is a bust. People were leaking Cinderace and Chief and Geno and all this other stuff and it wasn’t any of them. Personally, it looks like this pass is going to be full of surprises.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey at least Steve proves that 3rd party companies can get 2nd reps for DLC
****, yeah... That's a good point. We now have Banjo and Steven Cubiverse; both Microsoft characters. The people who said last year that Hero and Geno as DLC would be literally impossible can now officially eat my ass like a rack of Chili's baby back ribs.

Heoj

Smash Ace
We just gotta hold our heads up high for fp8 as genos chances are still pretty good. Admittedly it is going to really sting since i wouldnt be shocked if we have to wait until 2021 for 8, but hopefully we get fp8 just in time for the mario tournament. I think its pretty likely geno was going to be revealed alongside Steve.

sadsanjiagain.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope we can keep boomer takes to a minimum; cause steve is a huge ****in deal, seriously. Geno's still coming, guys
This. FP7 was fitting for Geno because of the game's titles and the number's connection to Geno in general, but it wasn't concrete. We just wanted it to happen. It doesn't rule him out from being in the pass, although it should be earlier than later.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Alright **** me then
Ok, yea, probably a bad take on my part. I'm just on the side that I really don't want other Pokemon (gen 8 since why would it be anything else) character for a variety of reasons and I know I'm not alone in that regard, but I get some people do want it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm seeing a lot of disappointment from some people over this announcement, not that I blame any of you, but I actually feel Steve may have just increased Geno's chances if you think about it.

1. Steve in Smash is yet another example of Nintendo listening to the fans. Even though Minecraft itself hasn't even been AROUND for as long as when people were requesting for Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno, he was still a request nonetheless and Nintendo took the action to get him included.
2. Not only that, but I have also seen people suggest that any third-party company that had a rep in the first Pass most likely won't get another one in the second Pass. Well, now Steve proves that even if a company had a rep in the first Pass, they can still get another rep, as Microsoft's first rep was Banjo & Kazooie in the first Pass, and now Steve in the second Pass. If Microsoft can have a second rep in this Pass, so can Square.
3. Steve also shows that even if you fit the bill for a Premium Mii Outfit, that character can easily get included as a character. I was guilty of this, but I take the L now that Steve is in the game. However, this proves that even though people think Geno works really well as a Deluxe Mii Outfit, he could still very well be a playable character, despite how fitting it would be.
4. The last thing is that Steve is NOT a competitor to Geno. It would be one thing if we had a Square rep or Mario rep revealed today that wasn't Geno, but that's not the case. Geno is still on the table as a potential candidate and just because Steve was revealed right now does not disqualify Geno from coming later.

That's basically my way of thinking. I may just be the most optimistic person in the planet, but I am just trying to look on the bright side of things. Steve being CP7 does not lower Geno's chances at all, but actually may increase it. I think speculation post-Steve is going to be rather interesting, and I am excited to continue speculating with you all. Just remember, it isn't over until its over. Geno's chances are still as high as they have ever been. :geno:

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I hope we can keep boomer takes to a minimum; cause steve is a huge ****in deal, seriously. Geno's still coming, guys
f'n hate how zoomers say boomers to any one older than them,
yes, Steve is definitely a big deal, but he's blank as ****.
between byleth and steve, we have min min who barely has character.
I want characters with personalities goddamnit.
It makes complete financial sense, and those who are 23 and younger, will probably be ECSTATIC.
I'm not super angry or dissapointed but I seriously don't care for minecraft.
Well,you have fun,enjoy

pinshadow

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1311678306463346688?s=20

Imran says that the Steve in Smash deal has been many years in the making.

Verge might actually be 100% actually no joke, unironically redeemed.
WAIT, BRAIN IS DOING THINGS RIGHT NOW

MINECRAFT CONTENT IN SMASH PLANNED FOR YEARS?
BUT ONLY GOT CHARACTER IN PACK 2
AND PACK 2 NOT PLANNED AT FIRST UNTIL 2019
SO WHAT WAS THE ORIGINAL PLAN?
BANJO CAME WITH NO MICROSOFT MII COSTUMES
WHAT IF THAT WAS ORIGINALLY THE PLAN
STEVE MII COSTUME
AND THEY CHANGED IT TO BE A FULL CHARACTER

NOW WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT IDEA BEFORE?
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

grizby2

Smash Lord
so, my thoughts after all this..

the character i hate the most has been added, so future dlc literally can't be more disappointing, so thats good i guess.

at least it was a character who wasn't from fire emblem or a literal "who?".
geno isn't dead yet

small silver linings i suppose. i hope december/january is better :\

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I remember talking about how there were certain spots on the mural banner art that had characters looking at spaces where it was blank which gave me the assumption that characters in this pass and the last pass we’re going to be placed in those positions.

Today just kinda backed it up even more. Look at the mural updated art I said there was a space next to sonic and minecraft Steve has gone there.

It makes sense because greninja is looking at Steve and if you were to take Steve out then he’d be looking into another blank spot.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Probably getting some info wrong but back in Fighter Pass 1 wasn’t there rumors of a Square Enix character being DLC before joker was announced? Maybe the same applies here where the info is correct but it’s just in a different order

who knows tho, curious to see when Fighter 8 is announced
Yes, there was. Verge said this and it went off from there. Erdrick became the heavily discussed fighter around then too, and we had the whole list of possible Square characters that included Geno (whether that was real or not).

Remember that Joker's reveal was JUST an animated trailer. It took FOREVER to see his model and any in-game footage. Kind of lines up with them not being prepared to show him off. We also know Hero needed a lot of playtesting, per Sakurai. Datamining showed Hero was in the game alongside Joker being worked on. So a Square fighter being a known quantity that far back is definitely in the realm of probable.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ok, yea, probably a bad take on my part. I'm just on the side that I really don't want other Pokemon (gen 8 since why would it be anything else) character for a variety of reasons and I know I'm not alone in that regard, but I get some people do want it, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Hey no worries man, I get gen 8 is unpopular. I enjoy some aspects of it but even I (a Pokémon Hyperfan) realize it’s painfully mediocre. I shouldn’t have reacted like that, it just gets a little tiring seeing something you love get trashed (even if it’s appropriate). But that’s on me for not having thicker skin .

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm seeing a lot of disappointment from some people over this announcement, not that I blame any of you, but I actually feel Steve may have just increased Geno's chances if you think about it.

1. Steve in Smash is yet another example of Nintendo listening to the fans. Even though Minecraft itself hasn't even been AROUND for as long as when people were requesting for Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno, he was still a request nonetheless and Nintendo took the action to get him included.
2. Not only that, but I have also seen people suggest that any third-party company that had a rep in the first Pass most likely won't get another one in the second Pass. Well, now Steve proves that even if a company had a rep in the first Pass, they can still get another rep, as Microsoft's first rep was Banjo & Kazooie in the first Pass, and now Steve in the second Pass. If Microsoft can have a second rep in this Pass, so can Square.
3. Steve also shows that even if you fit the bill for a Premium Mii Outfit, that character can easily get included as a character. I was guilty of this, but I take the L now that Steve is in the game. However, this proves that even though people think Geno works really well as a Deluxe Mii Outfit, he could still very well be a playable character, despite how fitting it would be.
4. The last thing is that Steve is NOT a competitor to Geno. It would be one thing if we had a Square rep or Mario rep revealed today that wasn't Geno, but that's not the case. Geno is still on the table as a potential candidate and just because Steve was revealed right now does not disqualify Geno from coming later.

That's basically my way of thinking. I may just be the most optimistic person in the planet, but I am just trying to look on the bright side of things. Steve being CP7 does not lower Geno's chances at all, but actually may increase it. I think speculation post-Steve is going to be rather interesting, and I am excited to continue speculating with you all. Just remember, it isn't over until its over. Geno's chances are still as high as they have ever been. :geno:
BUT ENIGMA!!!! STEVE I S A SQUARE REP. A CUBE REP, EVEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom