• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if we don't get any news today, we still have two days left this week for a potential announcement for a Sakurai Presents. Don't give up just yet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even if we don't get any news today, we still have two days left this week for a potential announcement for a Sakurai Presents. Don't give up just yet
We got the Super Mario 35th Anniversary Direct shadowdropped on us last Thursday so I wouldn't be surprised if a Mini Direct or a Sakurai Presents get's shadowdropped either tonight, tomorrow, or Friday.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Another hour, no NoA tweet. Age of Calamity was announced this time yesterday if I'm looking at the Twitter time correctly, so this is certainly curious.

If they were shadowdropping a Mini, it should have already come, else it's gonna come drop in 45 minutes. But we've gotten radio silence from insiders from what I can see about anything releasing today, so it's weird. Several people specifically named Smash info as still coming soon yesterday post-Hyrule Warriors though, so hopefully that "soon" = this week.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Another hour, no NoA tweet. Age of Calamity was announced this time yesterday if I'm looking at the Twitter time correctly, so this is certainly curious.

If they were shadowdropping a Mini, it should have already come, else it's gonna come drop in 45 minutes. But we've gotten radio silence from insiders from what I can see about anything releasing today, so it's weird. Several people specifically named Smash info as still coming soon yesterday post-Hyrule Warriors though, so hopefully that "soon" = this week.
Has anyone specifically namedropped Smash? If so then I don't think it's anyone too notable otherwise I feel everyone would be on it like a rash

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Just think, everyone! This will be us In just a few years' time:

"Where were you when Geno came to Smash?"

"MY STORY BEGINS in Twenty Dickitty! We had to say Dickitty cause The Corona had stolen our year 2020! We chased Sakurai down to get news on smash, but gave up after Dickitty-six weeks of no direct! Anyway, back then we called "Sakurai Presents" a Smash Direct! Now: To add a fighter cost a roster spot, and in those days, leaks had renders of Geno on em! "Gimme a source for this Geno" you'd say!"

Soon, my brothers and sisters...soon~

Firox

Smash Master
So with the advent of HW: Age of Calamity and BotW 2, does anyone think we could be in for another Zelda character in Smash? I hear a lot of speculation around the champions. If so, which one do you think is most likely? Personally, if I had to have one of them, I'd vote for Urbosa. Her sword, shield and lighting seems a lot more interesting than medieval Falco or another big, slow beater. Mipha could be cool too, I suppose. The trident and water powers could be unique.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So with the advent of HW: Age of Calamity and BotW 2, does anyone think we could be in for another Zelda character in Smash? I hear a lot of speculation around the champions. If so, which one do you think is most likely? Personally, if I had to have one of them, I'd vote for Urbosa. Her sword, shield and lighting seems a lot more interesting than medieval Falco or another big, slow beater. Mipha could be cool too, I suppose. The trident and water powers could be unique.
The only true Zelda character we are gonna get is Paya.

What would be bigger news come her announcement however is that they will finally rectify the cardinal sin they have committed with this game everytime it has received an update thus far is Link will finally get a skin akin to Shulks swimsuit.

And it's coming in an update with Paya so you know the memes will flood in.

But honestly I'd prefer Revali. Imagine a projectile spammer who actively encouraged you to stay in the air. It would be even better if they were actually travelling disjoints like Min Mins arms. Also the ability to switch arrows. Then activate Bomb Arrows and disrespectfully stage spike your foe.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Revali is my favorite BotW Champion, but let's be honest, he would be too close to Falco. I don't really think Gorons mesh well with Smash mechanics, so I wouldn't pick Daruk. Urbosa is fine but I never liked Gerudo aesthetics personally, but that's 100% just a me thing. My vote would go for Mipha (and so would Link's vote I imagine, hah.) Though Impa is cool too (though not a Champion). I'd like to see Younger Impa or Mipha personally. (Or Linkle because she's cute as heck but let's be real here, that's not happening, at least this Smash game.)

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Has anyone specifically namedropped Smash? If so then I don't think it's anyone too notable otherwise I feel everyone would be on it like a rash
Yes, in this post:

So, a lot of insiders are really hammering in that Hyrule Warriors: Return of Jafar is basically the last first party announcement for this year besides Pokemon DLC and Smash

Though, I hardly think this rules out 2021 announcements
Admittedly, I misremembered, but at the very least Nate specifically named Smash as still having news to come this year

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Nintendo celebrates the anniversary of the Mario games and actually acknowledges all of the Mario RPGs!

... except for SMRPG. 🙃 Thanks, Nintendo.
That's because our turn to celebrate is coming soon enough.

Also, pretty sure they wouldn't negotiate rights with Square for a single png.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nintendo celebrates the anniversary of the Mario games and actually acknowledges all of the Mario RPGs!

I think that's only because of the rumors for the supposed sequel or remake for Super Mario RPG that it's not there. Still, it definitely looks odd no matter how you look at it

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm honestly not really expecting a Sakurai Presentation this week since I feel it would take away the hype from the Hyrule Warriors game, but I actually do think we could get a Sakurai Presentation this month. I made a post about this yesterday, but my current line of thinking is that I expect this month to be when Nintendo announces their entire holiday line-up, as we just had the Mario 35th Anniversary Direct last week and the Hyrule Warriors reveal this week. As such, I'm currently predicting that we could get a Sakurai Presentation where he reveals a "Mystery Fighter' either next week or the week after that. Nintendo has been full of surprises recently, so I think it is most certainly in the realm of possibility that this could happen, especially when they did this with Byleth earlier this year.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm honestly not really expecting a Sakurai Presentation this week since I feel it would take away the hype from the Hyrule Warriors game, but I actually do think we could get a Sakurai Presentation this month. I made a post about this yesterday, but my current line of thinking is that I expect this month to be when Nintendo announces their entire holiday line-up, as we just had the Mario 35th Anniversary Direct last week and the Hyrule Warriors reveal this week. As such, I'm currently predicting that we could get a Sakurai Presentation where he reveals a "Mystery Fighter' either next week or the week after that. Nintendo has been full of surprises recently, so I think it is most certainly in the realm of possibility that this could happen, especially when they did this with Byleth earlier this year.
The Sakurai Presentation can still happen next week, hence why we're still keeping our eyes open for the announcement

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
While they could shadow drop that kind of presentation, I think a Friday announcement for a Monday presentation would be a neat way to do it. Or a Smash Direct Mini that goes over a rough roadmap of 2020/2021 Smash plans, just going over whether it's still on schedule, possible updates, FP7 and FP8, that kind of thing.

I think the worst part about waiting for characters for me, (at least post Banjo), is the uncertainty of the schedule. I think more than FP7 or any characters, I just want to know their rough game plan on when they will be released. If things were delayed and we shouldn't expect more characters and updates until 2021, let us know. That kind of thing. The thing that most of us have been frustrated with regarding Nintendo in general this year I suppose.

I think the most hype Smash presentation would be one where they just announce what month the remaining characters are coming, haha.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I was about to say something just like this. It's not that it's not possible we could see two big announcements this week, but with how piecemeal announcements have been I find it highly unlikely we would get both HW:AoC and the next Smash fighter in the same week. I think we're looking at next week at the earliest but really I feel it could be any time this month to find out who the next fighter is. And I agree that it's likely that the holiday games will be revealed this month.

D

Deleted member

I think the thing that sucks about all of this is that, following past precedent, Geno's presentation was likely recorded close to Min-Min's release so they're just holding on to it for whatever reason. The Ride Never Ends.
In updating this forum they very clearly added reactions that are not just "like" and if I could react with "****ing heavy sigh" I would.

They don't even try to hide the fact that for ill guided marketing reasons they hold onto these characters like a safety blanket. I get saving stuff for a rainy day but the days have been rainy and they left us out in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I think the thing that sucks about all of this is that, following past precedent, Geno's presentation was likely recorded close to Min-Min's release so they're just holding on to it for whatever reason. The Ride Never Ends.
At the very least, the idea that we get multiple character reveals grows with each passing week, as Sakurai has said they're still on-track, possibly even ahead of schedule.

There's also a non-zero chance that being ahead of schedule specifically is allowing them to fit bonus fighters in since they'd likely have nothing except the fighter themselves, like Piranha Plant, cutting down on the otherwise 6-month workload time (in theory anyways).

EDIT: Actually, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice earlier on this year Sakurai mentioned/implied in an interview that they were delayed in contacting other companies for the last 1-2 fighters of the pass because of the virus. What's the likelihood that, if they're on-track/ahead of schedule, that they started work on 1st-party bonus characters while waiting to be able to continue discussions and hammer out the details for those fighters in the pass?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

..... .ok, not to be Captain Pessimism here, but my immediate reaction to this was thinking that SMRPG being skipped is a bit concerning.
I don’t see anything to be worried about. Mario RPG is technically a 3rd party game but Mario characters are licensed like Mario+Rabbids and Mario and Sonic they may don’t really count those or if Nintendo goes as far asking permission for just acknowledgment.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Kinda stings since we don’t know the exact reason, however it may be because it’s partly third-party with Square owning a lot of it. They have acknowledged it through re-releases, and it’s still a Mario game, so you’d think they’re not intentionally leaving it out due to not liking it or something.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In updating this forum they very clearly added reactions that are not just "like" and if I could react with "****ing heavy sigh" I would.

They don't even try to hide the fact that for ill guided marketing reasons they hold onto these characters like a safety blanket. I get saving stuff for a rainy day but the days have been rainy and they left us out in it.
Not to mention today marks the three month mark of when E3 would have been if not for COVID-19 so we're already painfully aware that a lot of Nintendo's big announcements have already been delayed at least a quarter of a year and that most of them are now going to be 2021 releases because of it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Question, when have been the last few times that NoA has tweeted late? What did they ultimately tweet when they did?

I know they sometimes have afternoon tweets and even as late as midnight EST, but we're currently almost 3-4 hours from the usual time and still nada.

Firox

Smash Master
..... .ok, not to be Captain Pessimism here, but my immediate reaction to this was thinking that SMRPG being skipped is a bit concerning.
I had the exact same initial reaction, though ForsakenM might have a point that it could just be that SMRPG is about to get some serious spotlight and so they wanted to try and have the public low-key forget that SMRPG was on the board. Then again, it could be a sign that Nintendo is actively trying to sweep SMRPG under the rug and move on which would be a pretty disastrous omen if true. My takeaway:

This is either really good or really bad. Not a lot of in between here.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
So, Breath of The Wild Zero is looking hot. I kinda hated BoTW, and this is so far looking like it's gonna fix at least 80-90% of what I hated about that game, so that's honestly a pretty nice thing to wake up to.
You hated BotW? Not, there were things you didn’t like about it, or, it wasn’t the kind of Zelda game you wanted? Are you someone that dislikes something more when other people like it a lot and ask you why you don’t think it’s as hype as they do? I’m one of those people. Inception is overrated. Not bad, just overrated.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

Other notable exclusions to this list include;

The original Mario Bros. arcade
Dr. Mario (and anything afterwards, such as Dr. Mario 64)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Mario Parties 2 through Current (including Super Mario Party??)
Every Mario Tennis after the first one
Every single Mario Golf game (?!)***
***Actually, let's just be real, not a single Sports game is here outside of Tennis, wild.
Mario Kart Arcade series
New Super Mario Bros. (Original, they started with Wii here for some reason)
Every Mario & Sonic
Mario & Rabbids
Mario VS Donkey Kong series

... Mainly, I want to draw attention to the fact that Super Mario RPG isn't exactly being treated like the black sheep of the family by itself. I'm pretty sure I've even missed a few, despite how hard I was thinking here.

I agree that it may have something to do with the fact that Square probably has a hand in ownership, but it's certainly not alone in odd exclusions to this grouping. Yeah, one could point out "Well, of course they didn't show off every mario party, there's so many! One is representative of the whole!", except they bothered to list every single Mario Kart title. And, in addition to that, where Super Mario RPG started the lineup of RPG titles and turned up missing, so did New Super Mario Bros. #1 on the DS start the run for its respective series, and it also is missing for some reason?

Basically, i would not count this chart as a 'Nintendo only cares about these games" kind of chart, because genuinely, there are weird exclusions and exceptions all over the place. At the very least, I doubt Nintendo thought that hard about what games weren't going to be in this list, and it seems it's really just because of Square, and there's no reason to cause a legal stir over a thumbnail.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Other notable exclusions to this list include;

The original Mario Bros. arcade
Dr. Mario (and anything afterwards, such as Dr. Mario 64)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Mario Parties 2 through Current (including Super Mario Party??)
Every Mario Tennis after the first one
Every single Mario Golf game (?!)***
***Actually, let's just be real, not a single Sports game is here outside of Tennis, wild.
Mario Kart Arcade series
New Super Mario Bros. (Original, they started with Wii here for some reason)
Every Mario & Sonic
Mario & Rabbids
Mario VS Donkey Kong series

... Mainly, I want to draw attention to the fact that Super Mario RPG isn't exactly being treated like the black sheep of the family by itself. I'm pretty sure I've even missed a few, despite how hard I was thinking here.

I agree that it may have something to do with the fact that Square probably has a hand in ownership, but it's certainly not alone in odd exclusions to this grouping. Yeah, one could point out "Well, of course they didn't show off every mario party, there's so many! One is representative of the whole!", except they bothered to list every single Mario Kart title. And, in addition to that, where Super Mario RPG started the lineup of RPG titles and turned up missing, so did New Super Mario Bros. #1 on the DS start the run for its respective series, and it also is missing for some reason?

Basically, i would not count this chart as a 'Nintendo only cares about these games" kind of chart, because genuinely, there are weird exclusions and exceptions all over the place. At the very least, I doubt Nintendo thought that hard about what games weren't going to be in this list, and it seems it's really just because of Square, and there's no reason to cause a legal stir over a thumbnail.
Excellent observations. In light of this evidence, I'm leaning away from the SMRPG apocalypse and more toward potentially good news to come.

D

Deleted member

I had the exact same initial reaction, though ForsakenM might have a point that it could just be that SMRPG is about to get some serious spotlight and so they wanted to try and have the public low-key forget that SMRPG was on the board. Then again, it could be a sign that Nintendo is actively trying to sweep SMRPG under the rug and move on which would be a pretty disastrous omen if true. My takeaway:

This is either really good or really bad. Not a lot of in between here.
Nintendo acknowledged this game several times before on virtual console, SNES Classic, Geno Mii costume, and Geno and Mallow spirits. I don’t see any reason why they would just flat out ignore this title considering SMRPG started the RPG genre in the Mario franchise nor harms Geno’s chances. It could be that Nintendo will eventually give the game and Geno the spotlight soon with all these rumors. Like in my last post, the game is 3rd party that may go as far asking Square’s permission to add acknowledge and it’s pretty distinct like Mario + Rabbids. The game is missing in NSO. I think they may eventually add it. Also, I don’t think that’s all the big Mario games...

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
So we've never gotten a Mr. Mr. Sakurai Presents announced later than 10 AM CST?

Welp, anything can happen I suppose. We still have a little over 30 mins for our normal timeframe for today.
We have. I know for sure that Hero's got announced at 9 PM EST, and I want to say one of the others did as well but I'm not completely 100% sure there.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I don’t see anything to be worried about. Mario RPG is technically a 3rd party game but Mario characters are licensed like Mario+Rabbids and Mario and Sonic they may don’t really count those or if Nintendo goes as far asking permission for just acknowledgment.
Not quite. Nintendo published SMRPG, whereas Ubisoft published Mario & Rabbids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom