• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
With how stupidly long this is taking, I'm kind of hoping for a Smash Direct now because why not? If they won't give us a General, give us a Smash Direct so we know 7 and 8 by the end of the year because I can honestly wait for everything else. The wait for Smash news is what bothers me the most because 7's likely been in a presentable state for close to 2 1/2 months now and Nintendo's holding onto it until literally the "deadline" for whatever reason.
Reading this, I just noticed this page is almost 10 pages away from hitting 3,300 pages. Reckon we'll pass that before Geno is revealed?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Reading this, I just noticed this page is almost 10 pages away from hitting 3,300 pages. Reckon we'll pass that before Geno is revealed?
It's hard to say. On one hand, things seem to be dragging out for as long as possible in terms of actual Smash fighter news. But on the other hand, whenever anything that could be taken as a 'hint' or even just something odd happens, the speed of this thread shoots way up and we get like 8+ pages in a day.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With how stupidly long this is taking, I'm kind of hoping for a Smash Direct now because why not? If they won't give us a General, give us a Smash Direct so we know 7 and 8 by the end of the year because I can honestly wait for everything else. The wait for Smash news is what bothers me the most because 7's likely been in a presentable state for close to 2 1/2 months now and Nintendo's holding onto it until literally the "deadline" for whatever reason.
I think Sakurai's getting impatient too, going off a recent interview where he wants to have the next character out sooner compared to the gap between Byleth and MinMin

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That's just eshop maintenance, it would say if it was for Smash. That being said....

Something I just checked that is interesting about them adding amiibo functionality is the two times we've had updates specifically for adding it in Ultimate. 2.02 released on April 2nd, and the wave came out April 12th, and 6.1.1 released on January 7th with the wave releasing on the 17th. It seems they like a 10 day buffer window, and with the amiibo releasing in Japan on the 25th that means they'll likely do a small update to add that on the 15th. Which means we probably aren't getting another update for a week or two after that. Which means we're probably waiting until at least the end of the month for a release, possibly even an announcement.

View attachment 285113
Not to be rude man, but most of us were already on the train that the release of Geno would be closer to the Amiibo release. This is why we are arguing that Nintendo is running out of time because there is no way they will reveal and release the character on the same day.

They COULD, but the never have yet. The smallest window of time between character reveal and character release is Min Min, which was reveal on the 22nd and released 29th, which is a a whole week. They need to give people time to prepare their budgets for either a new character or possibly the whole pass. You can't just shadow drop a Smash character because it disrupts the Smash Bros Flow.

-Announcement of reveal is made.
-Hype Train goes into overdrive as people speculate who the character might be hours before the reveal and get their equipment ready to make reactions. People book their day to travel to certain places to witness it live, people get their streams prepared to react to it live.
-The pressure builds over the next couple days where basically no one cares about anything but the Smash reveal by the time it happens, drumming up even more free press than the youtuber channels.
-Sakurai eventually shows up on screen and we all get so happy just to see his ****ing face again.
-The character gets revealed and all the content with them dated for at least a week so that we can be prepared to shill out our hard-earned dollars.

I think it will be announced for next week.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Gonna make a bold prediction here: Fighter 7 and possibly Fighter 8 are gonna be leaked the same way Roy and Ryu were leaked for Smash 4, complete with fully authentic gameplay footage.

Not very likely, I know, but Nintendo's taking their sweet time revealing this Pass that, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that eventually happens, and considering that the next few fighters are likely done by now, the longer they take, the more likely it becomes.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly at this point if there isn't even a smash presentation of its own, I think fp7 must be something that is tied to some announcement and that's why even sakurai isn't going ahead of himself. Those are the only 2 options now as i see it, definitely not gonna be part of a general direct as they seem to be done with that for now (altho i personally believe there could be still first party announcements, even for 2021 stuff as teasers). Gonna be interesting to see how the rest of this month goes. I checked the archive site on that one green site to see if it has been updated, and it was updated not just on the 5th but also on the 7th and now today, it kinda makes me feel like it means nothing, but then again so many updates for a page that has nothing new is really weird… but yeah, i'm starting to think it means nothing whenever it gets updated, lol. It might just have coincided that it updated before the times there were presentations but this just could mean it updates all the freaking time overall.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly at this point if there isn't even a smash presentation of its own, I think fp7 must be something that is tied to some announcement and that's why even sakurai isn't going ahead of himself. Those are the only 2 options now as i see it, definitely not gonna be part of a general direct as they seem to be done with that for now (altho i personally believe there could be still first party announcements, even for 2021 stuff as teasers). Gonna be interesting to see how the rest of this month goes. I checked the archive site on that one green site to see if it has been updated, and it was updated not just on the 5th but also on the 7th and now today, it kinda makes me feel like it means nothing, but then again so many updates for a page that has nothing new is really weird… but yeah, i'm starting to think it means nothing whenever it gets updated, lol. It might just have coincided that it updated before the times there were presentations but this just could mean it updates all the freaking time overall.
It makes no sense to hold off on any Smash news for the remainder of the year when Ultimate is one of the top 3 selling titles for the system. They've got 5 more characters left they need to reveal, and having only one fighter of six revealed and released by years end makes them look pretty awful

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Alright, gonna take a page from our resident Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and do some theorycrafting, let's talk about the placement of Smash announcements!

--Ultimate's announcement was the "One more thing" of March 2018's Direct
--Smash was the back end of E3 2018
--August was a Smash Direct
--Isabelle closed out the September 2018 Direct with New Horizons
--November was a Smash Direct
--Joker was near the end of TGA's to celebrate the launch of Ultimate
--Hero was the opening act of E3 2019, Banjo and BOTW 2 were the closing acts
--Banjo release news was one of the first announcements of September 2019 Direct, followed by the reveal of Terry Bogard
--Byleth's reveal was at the end of Janurary
--Min Min's presentation was in the end of June and Pokémon took the first two weeks

So what does this tell us? Ruling out the Smash focused Directs and the Game Awards as a third party event, Nintendo always has Smash as its opening act or its closing act to any string of announcements

They know Smash is a goldmine of hype, and its placement always reflects that. The two outliers here were the status updates of Joker and ARMS, but those were just that: status updates, not a big announcement.

With all of this in mind, the conclusion I've reached is... we're going to wait two more weeks for us to get Smash this month. September is shaping up to be their E3 replacement month, and they're spreading the announcements out across the weeks.

Mario took the first week of September, followed by Hyrule Warriors this week. Even though Insiders are saying this is the final new announcement for Nintendo this year; we're waiting on Smash DLC, Pokémon DLC and updates to No More Heroes 3, Bravely Default 2, and possibly Bayo 3. If I had to throw out a prediction: Next week is going to be Pokémon Crown Tundra updates and then the week after we finally get Smash and a Partner Direct to close out the month

Of course they could announce a Sakurai Presents tomorrow and throw this entire model out the window. Hell I would LOVE to be wrong, that'd be the best L I'd ever hold in my life.

But taking stock of everything, I feel like we're gonna wait just a tad longer. Week after the next.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
If this is a sign...

I would still prefer Geno, but in my book this would still be a win.
It’s interesting to me that Nintendo has been acknowledging Waluigi quite a bit more lately through things like this poll and a while back they replied to the Pokémon Twitter with a Waluigi gif. There were a couple of other things that I can’t remember right now as well. It’s 90% likely that it’s just them having a bit of fun with a likeable character, but it still gives me hope as a Waluigi fan. Seems like Nintendo is starting to realize that the purple man has tons of fans out there

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It’s interesting to me that Nintendo has been acknowledging Waluigi quite a bit more lately through things like this poll and a while back they replied to the Pokémon Twitter with a Waluigi gif. It’s 90% likely that it’s just them having a bit of fun with a likeable character, but it still gives me hope as a Waluigi fan
Or maybe Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's so called conspiracy theory is true and we are getting bonus characters. :awesome:

And with that I would say: "In your face Fatman haters!"

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I believe it. There’s several characters that would be easy and cheap for Nintendo to add as a bonus fighter like Waluigi. Waluigi specifically would sell like crazy. It would surprise me if Nintendo doesn’t capitalize on it in some form or fashion

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Gonna make a bold prediction here: Fighter 7 and possibly Fighter 8 are gonna be leaked the same way Roy and Ryu were leaked for Smash 4, complete with fully authentic gameplay footage.

Not very likely, I know, but Nintendo's taking their sweet time revealing this Pass that, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that eventually happens, and considering that the next few fighters are likely done by now, the longer they take, the more likely it becomes.
Not gonna happen. It happened because Nintendo messed up with an update and had their files in it, and they've been pretty on top of making sure that doesn't happen lately. There hasn't been anything that's been revealed by the files since the whole "brave"/Hero situation.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I believe it. There’s several characters that would be easy and cheap for Nintendo to add as a bonus fighter like Waluigi. Waluigi specifically would sell like crazy. It would surprise me if Nintendo doesn’t capitalize on it in some form or fashion
Nintendo have capitalised on it though. Bonuses are literally additional characters and acting as if it's a foreign concept to Smash when the fighter pass is functionally that and we know Ultimate has to end at some point so the only real reason you provided isn't too substantial. Honestly people really need to start listening to Sakurai when he says things because I feel like 90% of people are flat out ignoring that Sakurai adamantly insisted that these are the final 6. Believe what you will, but outright saying you believe it just makes me think that the column wasn't being taken into consideration.

This isn't just 'no more plans' btw like he said for more dlc during pass one it's flat out this is all you are getting. And Sakurai isn't one to go back on his word when he says something adamantly at least not until the following console gen which obviously means new game

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Nintendo have capitalised on it though. Bonuses are literally additional characters and acting as if it's a foreign concept to Smash when the fighter pass is functionally that and we know Ultimate has to end at some point so the only real reason you provided isn't too substantial. Honestly people really need to start listening to Sakurai when he says things because I feel like 90% of peop!e are flat out ignoring that Sakurai adamantly insisted that these are the final 6. Believe what you will, but outright saying you believe it just makes me think that the column wasn't being taken into consideration.

This isn't just 'no more plans' btw like he said for more dlc during pass one it's flat out this is all you are getting. And Sakurai isn't one to go back on his word when he says something adamantly at least not until the following console gen which obviously means new game
Honestly I feel like people are reading too hard into Plant being a bonus outside the Fighter's Pass. That was literally just a case of Plant being meant for the base roster but them running out of time for it. I mean Plant is the only DLC with a Palutena's Guidance after all

These are the final characters. If a third pass actually DID happen we wouldn't know until like the final fighter happened. It's too early to start considering future updates besides these six

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Honestly I feel like people are reading too hard into Plant being a bonus outside the Fighter's Pass. That was literally just a case of Plant being meant for the base roster but them running out of time for it. I mean Plant is the only DLC with a Palutena's Guidance after all

These are the final characters. If a third pass actually DID happen we wouldn't know until like the final fighter happened. It's too early to start considering future updates besides these six
Yeah I definitely agree. Plant literally was meant for base game. The amiibo, the guidance like you said, obviously how he was a bonus in the first place and how it was quite apparent that they were working on him before the game launched. It was probably around when we first knew it was Smash Switch in March 2018.

We do only have one revealed and it seems that isn't going to change much aside from 7 In maybe a few weeks so it's probably best to stick to that. It's fine hoping for more but predictions could be a bit too soon for bonuses considering all it has going against it atm.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo have capitalised on it though. Bonuses are literally additional characters and acting as if it's a foreign concept to Smash when the fighter pass is functionally that and we know Ultimate has to end at some point so the only real reason you provided isn't too substantial. Honestly people really need to start listening to Sakurai when he says things because I feel like 90% of peop!e are flat out ignoring that Sakurai adamantly insisted that these are the final 6. Believe what you will, but outright saying you believe it just makes me think that the column wasn't being taken into consideration.

100% this. Vol. 2 are the extra characters. Nintendo didn’t originally plan to do a Vol. 2 initially. Vol. 2 are pretty much THE bonus characters. It would be appropriate to have a bonus fighter like Piranha Plant revealed alongside Byleth. Since Sakurai has gone on record saying Vol. 2 is it and it turns out there are bonus characters in development, that would hugely contradict that. I don’t see why Sakurai would lie.

Last edited by a moderator:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Not to be rude man, but most of us were already on the train that the release of Geno would be closer to the Amiibo release. This is why we are arguing that Nintendo is running out of time because there is no way they will reveal and release the character on the same day.

They COULD, but the never have yet. The smallest window of time between character reveal and character release is Min Min, which was reveal on the 22nd and released 29th, which is a a whole week. They need to give people time to prepare their budgets for either a new character or possibly the whole pass. You can't just shadow drop a Smash character because it disrupts the Smash Bros Flow.

-Announcement of reveal is made.
-Hype Train goes into overdrive as people speculate who the character might be hours before the reveal and get their equipment ready to make reactions. People book their day to travel to certain places to witness it live, people get their streams prepared to react to it live.
-The pressure builds over the next couple days where basically no one cares about anything but the Smash reveal by the time it happens, drumming up even more free press than the youtuber channels.
-Sakurai eventually shows up on screen and we all get so happy just to see his ****ing face again.
-The character gets revealed and all the content with them dated for at least a week so that we can be prepared to shill out our hard-earned dollars.

I think it will be announced for next week.
min min was the smallest for ultimate, but im pretty sure roy/ryu were released the same day as their reveal(even if they were leaked a few months earlier thanks to data miners)

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I have a theory, and as usual it may not be worth poop, but:

What if the pandemic and working from home has caused nintendo to re-think their plans for the pass? Sakurai said they'd be bringing us fighters. He didn't say plans hadn't changed as to who they could realistically add to smash like this on a deadline. By the same token, If they're progressing as normal, maybe they're just throwing time out the window? dort of "Yeah screw the 2021 date. These will get done when they get done"?

Last edited:

Genome

Smash Cadet
Smash fans: Nintendo hasn't revealed the character yet...we have to keep waiting.
Smash "theorycrafters": Nintendo hasn't revealed the character yet...Nintendo starts with a N...Nutella also starts with an N...Nutella is Italian...Mario is Italian...Nutella is a chocolate company...the Japanese company Furuta Confectionery makes chocolate eggs...One of their sets of eggs included the Mario character Birdo...Birdo is trans...Nutella has no trans fat...Mario is fat...Both Mario and Birdo appear in Super Mario Bros. 2...Luigi appears in Super Mario Bros. 2 and is neither trans nor fat...Luigi's Mansion 3 was released in October for the Switch...There are two final boss battles in Luigi's Mansion 3, meaning the player must have 'won, won' to have completed the game...1:1...Luigi's Mansion 3 takes place over 1 day and the credits scene could have reasonably taken place over 2 weeks...1 day and 1 fortnight...15 days...November 15. 2019...The release day of Pokemon Sword and Shield...Giovanni is the most iconic antagonist from Pokemon...and who was the founder of Nutella? Giovanni Ferrero.

In conclusion, we have to keep waiting.

QQS

Smash Lord
I believe also that after SuperMario 35 was revealed in a Mario Direct and not in a General One, it’s almost sure that there won’t be General Directs in 2020. But cmon people, even if they showed us like 10 games or more in many presentations, who cares? It’s their choice and their company. Be grateful and don’t live complaining. I’m happy with SuperMario35, Age Of Calamity and a few more. Also I’m dying to see something Smash related. At least now I know that 2021 will be for Breath Sequel and probably something about Prime 4. The thing that everybody wants right now is Smash and it won’t be a General cause the big stuff already dropped (Mario) and the other big stuff are not for 2020 (Breath sequel and Metroid). Said that, I’m expecting 100% a Sakurai presentation or Mini about who is Fighter #7, which is Geno for me. Without COVID-19, it would have been a double reveal with Crash, which we are going to confirm after 77 and 78 are revealed

Based and all the timing and theories we know, Fighter 7 is so close. He will be revealed in September to be played in October.

Im not 100% sure if #7 is for Geno; but I’m 100% sure Geno is indeed a Playabe Fighter, in any #.

Geno will awake very very soon. At this point, its impossible if Geno isn’t playable. It’s so obvious for me. I’m just doing my stuff, working, waiting to get my hands on Mario35, HW AoC and mostly, GENO FOR SMASH.

As Terminal Montage said, He’s gonna be in.

Enjoy life and do other stuff, the day will eventually come, Geno will grab his invitation to the party very soon!

Genome

Smash Cadet
Also it's pretty hilarious how some people in this thread have characters like Sora or Master Chief in their 'worst timeline' fighter pass 2. If you seriously find yourself getting disappointed over SORA and MASTER CHIEF in SUPER SMASH BROS...man I don't know what to say...maybe smash fans have been spoiled to the point where anything less than their most wanted is terrible...

Here would be a fighter pass actually worth being bummed over (imo)
  • Shadow Mario (Mario)
  • Dark Link (Zelda)
  • Violent Ken (Street Fighter)
  • Shadow Mewtwo(Pokemon)
  • Shadow Kirby (Kirby)

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Also it's pretty hilarious how some people in this thread have characters like Sora or Master Chief in their 'worst timeline' fighter pass 2. If you seriously find yourself getting disappointed over SORA and MASTER CHIEF in SUPER SMASH BROS...man I don't know what to say...maybe smash fans have been spoiled to the point where anything less than their most wanted is terrible...

• Shadow Mario (Mario)
  • Dark Link (Zelda)
  • Shadow Mewtwo(Pokemon)
  • Shadow Kirby (Kirby)
Man, do I feel this, glad someone else has the guts to call out how ridiculous that kind of mindset is.

It really is being spoiled, honestly. Not 12 years or so ago Master Chief was a wanted but 'never-gonna-happen-ever' character. Flash forward a preteen and suddenly Master Chief is lame because his chances have gone up a lot?

Seriously guys, remember that this game added Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo and soon Geno. REMEMBER THIS. Remember how great that is and stop being so silly about things.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

• Shadow Mario (Mario)
  • Dark Link (Zelda)
  • Shadow Mewtwo(Pokemon)
  • Shadow Kirby (Kirby)
You ARE a smash fan, though. Every one of us are part of this, so....maybe people just....don't like sora? Shocking, I know.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Man, do I feel this, glad someone else has the guts to call out how ridiculous that kind of mindset is.

It really is being spoiled, honestly. Not 12 years or so ago Master Chief was a wanted but 'never-gonna-happen-ever' character. Flash forward a preteen and suddenly Master Chief is lame because his chances have gone up a lot?

Seriously guys, remember that this game added Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo and soon Geno. REMEMBER THIS. Remember how great that is and stop being so silly about things.
This REALLY misses the point. Its not SILLY to hope that a character I love and would really rather not see fall into obscurity gets his due after coming so close! I love that K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo are in, but that will NOT stop me from hoping Nintendo goes 4 for 4 in the biggest smash ever. If he doesnt get in, it may be his last shot. Damn right it matters to me! Master Chief has nothing to do with hoping he gets a shot.

Edit: I think i might have misunderstood you

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
maybe Sakurai will be like Hikaru Utada and threaten to leak the next fighter if nintendo takes longer like how she threatend to leak KH3s song the longer it took to the game to come out
I can see the scenario playing out now. Two mysterious figures in hats and trenchcoats, standing next to one another at the train station, but not so close that it arouses any suspicion of illicit activity.

Sakurai: "..." -He drops a CD onto the floor.- "Oops. I accidentally dropped a ... very important article, onto the pavement. ... right there. Clumsy me."

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice : "..." -He drops a suitcase onto the floor.- "Oops. I... seem to have misplaced a very important suitcase filled to the brim with unmarked bills. .. How utterly careless. Right where someone can find it? Oh, oh no."

-Both parties inexplicably retrieve the items that the other had 'lost'.-

Sakurai: "It seems I must locate the owner to ensure that this unknown item is returned properly, and with haste."

Fatmanonice: "I too have a similar but entirely unrelated goal."

-And thus, the trade is complete, and we come to find that the mystery fighter was none other thanREDACTED

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I can see the scenario playing out now. Two mysterious figures in hats and trenchcoats, standing next to one another at the train station, but not so close that it arouses any suspicion of illicit activity.

Sakurai: "..." -He drops a CD onto the floor.- "Oops. I accidentally dropped a ... very important article, onto the pavement. ... right there. Clumsy me."

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice : "..." -He drops a suitcase onto the floor.- "Oops. I... seem to have misplaced a very important suitcase filled to the brim with unmarked bills. .. How utterly careless. Right where someone can find it? Oh, oh no."

-Both parties inexplicably retrieve the items that the other had 'lost'.-

Sakurai: "It seems I must locate the owner to ensure that this unknown item is returned properly, and with haste."

Fatmanonice: "I too have a similar but entirely unrelated goal."

-And thus, the trade is complete, and we come to find that the mystery fighter was none other thanREDACTED
This made me lose it, well done!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
My worst case scenario will probably make people mad but here goes

77) Chrous Kids - I don't know what it is about Rhythm Heaven but I just don't like the designs of the characters as far as getting into Smash goes.

78) Savvy Stylist - Why does this character have a small following? I've looked up the series and the designs of everything looked generic as hell. I'm sure they're fine enough games but I seriously detest the notion of getting this character as a playable fighter. (And this would be two DS reps with neither one being Phoenix, Layton, or Jibanyan, who are the DS reps I can get behind)

79) Bubsy - Look, cats are my favorite animal and even I hate this cat

80) Peter Griffin - Our first 4th party. I strongly dislike the notion of 4th parties getting into Smash, and instead of Goku who I wouldn't be too mad if he was the 4th party, I went with a character I really dislike.

81) Gold Mario - So at this point in speculation, we're holding out hope that now that they're doing 4th parties, we'll get characters we like. Most root for Goku. I root for Sailor Moon and Hatsune Miku. Instead, this is who our character ends up being. He has few, if any, changes from Mario.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I saw this coming a mile away, but here it is

Not surprising. I wish the best for the staff! They should and are prioritizing their safety over all else. I'd rather wait longer for a game knowing everyone making it was kept safe. As far as Smash goes, if Travis is in this could make a reveal for him be oddly-timed but I'm sure everyone would understand

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There’s nothing wrong with being disappointed in characters you don’t care about or don’t like, as long as you’re not obnoxious about it (“my character is better than yours, yours objectively sucks, I can’t believe people like this character, yours is a meme, lol [character] fans, etc. etc.”)

Personally Master Chief would be disappointing though I do think he’s kinda cool and I’m interested in Halo. Sora would be cool even if I don’t care much about him either (but I like Disney), but he would be a bit disappointing still and since people see him as competition for Geno, the detractors would be very annoying if Geno doesn’t get in first. They still would be nice for all the people who really care about them though, and maybe they’d be fun.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Alright, I'll cave in. Here are my best and worst case scenarios for this Pass:

BEST CASE SCENARIO

77. Geno - Ya'll ready know it!

78. Crash Bandicoot - He and Geno are like at the top of my list when it comes to characters I really wanna see. Crash essentially was the de-facto PS1 mascot, and it would be great to finally have that dream matchup against Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash.

79. Waluigi - Waluigi has always been one of my most favorite characters in the Mario franchise and I think he is a funny character altogether, especially for his meme-y personality. I don't just want Waluigi for the memes, however, since I think Waluigi could have an incredibly fun moveset, utilizing all of his moves from the Mario Sports games.

80. Isaac - I never touched a Golden Sun game, but I would simply be happy for the fans. Isaac supporters have waited and waited to get their character and I feel they have been je-baited MUCH worse then we have. As such, I'm hoping the assist trophy rule gets broken just so their character can be back on the table, much like how I want Waluigi back on the table as well. :p

81. Sora - Like with Isaac, I never touched a Kingdom Hearts game, but I would be very happy for the supporters. Kingdom Hearts is a MASSIVE franchise and if Disney were to actually be involved with Smash, that would absolutely blow my mind, even though I highly doubt Sora is gonna happen.

WORST CASE SCENARIO

77. Jonesy - I REALLY do not want Fortnite to even TOUCH Smash. This may sound petty, but I really dislike Fortnite and I really do not want a character that is from a currently trending game. The fanbase is toxic, and I seriously do not want that fanbase to migrate over to an already toxic fanbase.

78. Another Fire Emblem Rep - I think I can speak for everyone when I say Fire Emblem is seriously over-represented in this game. Let less represented franchises get a chance in the spotlight, like Zelda or Kirby. I also think it would be even worse if we get another swordie.

79. Urshifu - I'm not totally against a Sword & Shield Pokemon. I think it would be cool to see Toxtricity, seeing how that is a widely popular Pokemon that some fans genuinely want to see. If its Urshifu, however, I feel like that would be such an obvious shill that it wouldn't even look like Nintendo was trying to hide that. The only reason Urshifu would get chosen would be to shill the expansion pass. That's it.

80. Bubsy - Bubsy's games are terrible and this guy is often seen as a joke at this point. I honestly wonder if Bubsy's own company even takes him seriously.

81. A Fourth Party Rep - I want Smash to stick with video game characters only. The point of Smash to begin with is to be this huge video game wall of fame, and if characters like Goku and Shrek got included, it would completely destroy the entire point. This is the one rule I do believe, and hope, never gets broken in the near future.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I saw this coming a mile away, but here it is

3a1.gif

I'm just a little shocked they just dropped this now and not as part of a Partner Showcase or something. Makes me wonder what's going on with the NMH1 port as well, I mean it's rated right? Has to be pretty close to release for that to be the case.

Also, I think talking about worst case scenarios is silly, I've made it pretty clear in the past that I don't care who it is as long as a good number of people are excited and happy by it. If more people are disappointed and arguing than excited after the reveal that's probably a good metric that the character isn't a good choice, or at the very least there are a metric ton of other choices that would please way more people. Believe it or not, the general consensus of characters that the Smash Community, as well as the general gaming community at large, want in the game isn't nearly as broad as you might think. The order obviously shifts but the top 15 or so choices in basically every poll are pretty consistent. While you obviously can't make everyone happy, it's actually pretty easy to put together a line up that would make a VAST MAJORITY of people happy.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
My best case scenario:

77) Geno duh

78) Crash Bandicoot - I prefer the cartoony "cereal mascot" type of characters. Crash tops that list for me. I love the thought of everyone from the classic rivalry being in Smash, and I think Crash would be suuuper fun to play

79) Eggman - my second most wanted, I think he's got the most interesting moveset potential of any Sonic newcomer. Love the thought of a traps-based heavyweight. Bowser Jr doesn't quite scratch that itch for me.

80) Spyro the Dragon - Like I said, I like cartoony characters. We have so few quadrupeds in Smash (Ivysaur and Duck Hunt being the only true ones, DK, Diddy, and the chus being halfway there) so I'd love to get another one. The moveset I see in his games is practically built for Smash.

81) Sora - We end FP2 on the highest note possible. His inclusion would be groundbreaking, and much like Spyro, I see a moveset that could translate to Smash near-effortlessly. Though, they'd need to tone him down because I don't think 8+ hit true aerial combos are healthy for Smash. Come to think of it, though, none of the swordies are that combo-centric. A combo-centric swordie would be a neat niche if balanced properly.

... And then Sakurai announces FP3

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this point, the only worst case scenarios would be additional FE reps (ENOUGH Nintendo of Japan, you're not going to convince people to buy the games the more you do this) or another version of Zelda instead of other characters in the franchise that could bring something newer to the table. Other than that, apart from my most wanted character of Geno, I'm a lot less critical of choices this round.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
My worst case scenario will probably make people mad but here goes

77) Chrous Kids - I don't know what it is about Rhythm Heaven but I just don't like the designs of the characters as far as getting into Smash goes.

78) Savvy Stylist - Why does this character have a small following? I've looked up the series and the designs of everything looked generic as hell. I'm sure they're fine enough games but I seriously detest the notion of getting this character as a playable fighter. (And this would be two DS reps with neither one being Phoenix, Layton, or Jibanyan, who are the DS reps I can get behind)

79) Bubsy - Look, cats are my favorite animal and even I hate this cat

80) Peter Griffin - Our first 4th party. I strongly dislike the notion of 4th parties getting into Smash, and instead of Goku who I wouldn't be too mad if he was the 4th party, I went with a character I really dislike.

81) Gold Mario - So at this point in speculation, we're holding out hope that now that they're doing 4th parties, we'll get characters we like. Most root for Goku. I root for Sailor Moon and Hatsune Miku. Instead, this is who our character ends up being. He has few, if any, changes from Mario.
I know this is the Geno thread and everything and I’ll try not to dwindle on the topic, but really? The Chorus Kids would be amazing. Though I’d want Karate Joe more anyway, I’d take anyone from Rhythm Heaven. The only major first party franchise that isn’t dead (yet) and it keeps getting snubbed from a spot. Also, the same person who designed all the Rhythm Heaven characters is the same person who designed all of the WarioWare characters (Ko Takeuchi). it’s a pipe dream for me, but I respect your opinions nevertheless. Either way, I haven’t posted my thoughts on Geno in a while. Honestly thinking he’s 99% guaranteed at this point and I couldn’t be happier, because the more and more evidence that piles up for him just makes him feel more likely. I feel like we’re in the last weeks of waiting if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom