• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Can I get a quick "who said what" rundown here? How did this break, who's the source, and what exactly is rumored?

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I have risen from my Smashboards slumber to attend your request, Fatman! Brace yourselves:

CACOMALLOW IS REAL

I'll also take this time to share my recently drawn Cacomallow in WarioWare DIY, as some of you might like it.

View attachment 284659
IMG_20200803_152450.jpg

Malo Mart been spittin' this fact for months now. Geno's time is coming soon my lads

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Okay can someone help me out here? If there is something SMRPG-related coming (remake or sequel), why wasn’t it announced in the Mario Direct? At first I thought “oh maybe the Mario Direct was just for mainline Mario games” but they announced the Mario Kart Live game.

so I’m just confused. And like, I get it, it’s Nintendo, and literally nobody understands them. But can someone just try and help me process this, because I’m scratching my head as to why they wouldn’t talk about SMRPG. I guess maybe they were worried about spoiling Geno for Smash? But then again, why wouldn’t they just announce Geno in the Mario Direct?
Smash reveals have never been in a game-focused Direct like the Mario one we just got. Plus, what Slender Slender said, the celebration will be going on until March of next year, so they probably still have some stuff to announce (and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice did hint at at least one more thing coming, since I believe he said that Super Mario 3D All-Stars wasn't the "big showstopper").

My guess? Maybe the Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is being developed by Square Enix, and their involvement could mean that the game technically counts as a "third-party" title... which in turn means that the game and it's announcement are instead being saved for a Partner Showcase (the one in July did have Cadence of Hyrule, meaning it's possible to see first-party properties show up in those presentations)... though that still leaves the question of where the reveal of Geno in Smash fits in.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Partner showcases probably wouldn't be the best spot for a Smash reveal to be honest. However, a Sakurai Presents video could ultimately promote the upcoming Mario RPG remake/sequel the same way the DQ heroes promoted 11S. They could certainly go with that approach once more to get more on board with not just Geno, but Square's biggest collab with Nintendo in over a decade.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm lost. Whose Sharon and why should we trust her? I read Polarthief Polarthief 's updated list but I'm still kinda lost about all of this.
Idk if we should or shouldn't, but Emily Rogers follows her which is enough to at least question what's going on. She also pulled the "I'm not an insider/leaker" card yesterday. You know who else pulled that? Kelios, the guy who got the exact date of the 7/20 direct 13 days in advance, and also called the announcement time (midnight) hours before it happened.

Regardless though as Fatman said, this has been floating for awhile now.

So, what makes it seem that Geno is next anyway, Mario RPG sequel or remake aside?
That stuff + the tons of info we've gained since June makes us think he was intended as the second of the "bonus characters" Sakurai was talking about in the Byleth video. Remember when he said "probably one or two more" before showing us FP2? Min Min was the first, and Geno was the second. In addition, the closer a character is to being shown, the more leaks and evidence that tend to come to light, and Geno definitely has the biggest mountain right now. Also the whole "seven theory" and "color theory" (though I believe colors a bit less) is something Sakurai would totally do. I mean if he's gonna be counting in binary and doing the "THREE" houses hint in the announcement tweet...

Honestly, he could very well not be next, but given this is Mario's anniversary month and all, it makes the most sense to give us a Mario rep next, doesn't it? Had COVID not happened, Mario's direct would have been in or before E3, but regardless it'd be a very big Mario event and Geno would surely be included in that. All signs point to Geno next.

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Can I get a quick "who said what" rundown here? How did this break, who's the source, and what exactly is rumored?
I’ll try my best. RogersBase on a podcast openly discussed a rumour he saw regarding a Super Mario RPG sequel. Not only is Roger kinda a inside boy, he seems to think the person he heard this from is really credible, mentioning they got the dates on the last four Nintendo Directs right, and saying they weren’t a wannabe insider (though it seems none of us have been able to find exactly who he heard this from). And now that these rumours have been made public, others in the thread have just kinda come out mentioning they’ve been told this for awhile.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I keep seeing people in the Newcomer thread saying that characters like Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, and Dixie Kong aren't happening because there's no game for them to promote like with Byleth and Three Houses... which is a flawed point that I heavily disagree with, but even if it's true, then that means a potential Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is nothing but helpful for Geno's chances. If fan demand isn't enough for some reason, then how about a brand spankin' new game that Geno in Smash could help promote?
Tell those in the newcomer thread that they are just asking to look like fools. People said that we were only gonna get Third Parties, then Byleth and Min Min Happened. Pepple said we were only gonna get characters from new universes because of that one quote made almost a year ago, then we got Min Min whose franchise was already represented in the roster.

People really should stop trying to make arbitrary exclusions at this point.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tell those in the newcomer thread that they are just asking to look like fools. People said that we were only gonna get Third Parties, then Byleth and Min Min Happened. Pepple said we were only gonna get characters from new universes because of that one quote made almost a year ago, then we got Min Min whose franchise was already represented in the roster.

People really should stop trying to make arbitrary exclusions at this point.
Heh heh! As if they were the ones who determine anything about Smash Bros. Ultimate. Are they actually workers of Sakurai? I think not!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Huh. I'd be lying if I said I believed the rumor outright regarding this mythical Mario RPG remake, but by GOD does it feel like the missing puzzle piece that ties everything from the past year regarding Geno and Mario RPG together. Roger doesn't feel like the kind of guy who would pull something like this out of his ass and the fact it's circulated around other people as well is promising, but no offense I'm waiting until a few more others can back this.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Huh. I'd be lying if I said I believed the rumor outright regarding this mythical Mario RPG remake, but by GOD does it feel like the missing puzzle piece that ties everything from the past year regarding Geno together. Roger doesn't feel like the kind of guy who would pull something like this out of his ass and the fact it's circulated around other people as well is promising, but no offense I'm waiting until a few more others can back this.
I'll be doing the same. It seems like just one person, so it wouldn't hurt to get second and more opinions here, right?

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
So, what makes it seem that Geno is next anyway, Mario RPG sequel or remake aside?
Aside from these new rumours of a potential sequel/remake happening soon, there’s still the fact at least three known insiders have all been making vague Geno/Super Mario RPG related tweets for awhile now, the upcoming Mario tournament not being given an exact date (just Nov/Dec right now) could point to at the very least a Mario character coming before the tournament, the last three events that added new Spirits being from Mana, Octopath Traveler, and Paper Mario, some points in Geno’s favour like the music takedowns happening all the way back in July last year, and screw it I’ll throw GameStop in there even if I’ve always been on the fence with it.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Remake = given more awareness to the OG that isn´t exactly world wide know -> sequel get´s more attention thanks to the remake. I´m not saying that it is a requirement, but it is the smartest business move to do so.
Isn't that the same philosophy behind Crash's revival?

First the N.Sane Trilogy came out, then CTR NF as a Spin Off, and now Crash 4 is beign released now with all of these games (well maybe not CTR NF) taking place in what is essentially a brand new timline (i like to call it "The N. Sane Timeline")

Seeing the state of Mario RPGs i actually think this is a decent possibility. After Alphadream is dead and Paper Mario isn't an RPG series anymore, so Nintendo may want to have an a Traditional RPG game on Mario's catalog again.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Man, I can’t imagine what it’s like to hold on to info like that for so long Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I and many others seriously appreciate you for trying to keep it a surprise for everyone. No wonder you were so insistent on Geno not being revealed in a Sakurai Presents, it’s because he would be tied into the SMRPG remake/sequel announcement. Full on game announcements have never occurred within a Sakurai Presents, so the next logical conclusion would be in a Nintendo direct.

Just another point we can add to the list of why Geno is definitely going to be in Smash ;)
F051F140-9303-4434-85E3-42CF59CA3BD9.jpeg

I’m also trying to contain my excitement at the fact that something else concerning SMRPG is in the works, that info alone was enough to make this dumpster fire of a year worth it

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Aside from these new rumours of a potential sequel/remake happening soon, there’s still the fact at least three known insiders have all been making vague Geno/Super Mario RPG related tweets for awhile now,
But what is ther-Oh for crying out loud! There is no point in saying that, is there?

the upcoming Mario tournament not being given an exact date (just Nov/Dec right now) could point to at the very least a Mario character coming before the tournament, the last three events that added new Spirits being from Mana, Octopath Traveler, and Paper Mario, some points in Geno’s favour like the music takedowns happening all the way back in July last year, and screw it I’ll throw GameStop in there even if I’ve always been on the fence with it.
Well, this is rather interesting then. I will keep an eye out.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, as I've been saying since last summer, it seems Nintendo had some pretty wild plans for E3 2020. Golden Sun Remake and SMRPG Remake rumors are just two of the bigger ones that have been around since last year that have recently gone public. As I've talked about, there's been a lot of effort to keep these secret along with the others that are looking like will stay secret until this next presentation. A lot of stuff that seems too good to be true but might actually be true. I feel like this was Nintendo's plan all along and basically wanted to do a repeat of E3 2010 but on steroids.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
So, as I've been saying since last summer, it seems Nintendo had some pretty wild plans for E3 2020. Golden Sun Remake and SMRPG Remake rumors are just two of the bigger ones that have been around since last year that have recently gone public. As I've talked about, there's been a lot of effort to keep these secret along with the others that are looking like will stay secret until this next presentation. A lot of stuff that seems too good to be true but might actually be true. I feel like this was Nintendo's plan all along and basically wanted to do a repeat of E3 2010 but on steroids.
Given the rumored games, it seems Nintendo paid attention to the original smash ballot done back near the end of Smash 3DS/Wii U, in more ways than one

Ridley-Prime 4
King K. Rool-Rumored DK game
Isaac-Golden Sun (he came back as an assist, but still)
Banjo Kazooie-Rumored for switch
Geno-Super Mario RPG Remake/Sequel

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
But what is ther-Oh for crying out loud! There is no point in saying that, is there?
Hm? Were you going to ask where the teases are from? Because it’s ok if you haven’t seen them or something. Here’s PapaGenos showing some of them, specifically Imran Khan and Jeff Grubb. Just before he talks about Ryce’s stuff, though it appears that was just a false alarm for now. There’s also Andre Segers (which is why I said three), though out of these three Andre is the one I’d give most of a free pass, considering he’s been known as a Geno fan for awhile now.

Well, this is rather interesting then. I will keep an eye out.
Yeah definitely. I’m remaining pretty confident in Geno as well!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hm? Were you going to ask where the teases are from? Because it’s ok if you haven’t seen them or something. Here’s PapaGenos showing some of them, specifically Imran Khan and Jeff Grubb. Just before he talks about Ryce’s stuff, though it appears that was just a false alarm for now. There’s also Andre Segers (which is why I said three), though out of these three Andre is the one I’d give most of a free pass, considering he’s been known as a Geno fan for awhile now.
Naw, I was just joking around. I actually knew of those from before.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Given the rumored games, it seems Nintendo paid attention to the original smash ballot done back near the end of Smash 3DS/Wii U, in more ways than one

Ridley-Prime 4
King K. Rool-Rumored DK game
Isaac-Golden Sun (he came back as an assist, but still)
Banjo Kazooie-Rumored for switch
Geno-Super Mario RPG Remake/Sequel
Well, the Smash Ballot acted as a suggestion box and on the Japanese website they said the data used in the Ballot would be used for future games so...

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
And a reminder for those who weren’t there for E3 2010
24874807-5B06-4DD7-9A81-36176F2ACC75.jpeg

So at the very least, 2021 will likely be pretty amazing now. Maybe even the end of 2020 while we’re at it.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I keep seeing people in the Newcomer thread saying that characters like Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, and Dixie Kong aren't happening because there's no game for them to promote like with Byleth and Three Houses... which is a flawed point that I heavily disagree with, but even if it's true, then that means a potential Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is nothing but helpful for Geno's chances. If fan demand isn't enough for some reason, then how about a brand spankin' new game that Geno in Smash could help promote?
I would just ignore the newcomer thread altogether. A while ago I posted my predictions their and as soon as they saw Geno on my predictions, everyone started ridiculing me for putting him on their, and that thread is littered with a bunch of "know-it-alls" who constantly act like they know what their talking about, when they really don't, and they constantly gatekeep certain characters. While I personally doubt BWD, Waluigi and Dixie will get included in the Fighters Pass, considering the lack of ideas they could come with for a Challenger Pack, I still do acknowledge they have a chance nonetheless. As long as you're a video game character, you will always have a chance in my eyes.

Making an account on this site was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have made tons of new friends here and its such an honor to speculate with you all, as well as the people over on the Crash thread and Waluigi thread. But if their is one thread on this site that I do have a bone to pick with, its easily the newcomer thread, and I personally see them as the only real toxic thread on this site, maybe aside from the competitive threads. I wouldn't pay them attention if I were you. They will be in for a surprise when FP2 blows each and every one of their expectations out of the water.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
And a reminder for those who weren’t there for E3 2010
View attachment 284668
So at the very least, 2021 will likely pretty amazing now. Maybe even the end of 2020 while we’re at it.
I like how this forgets to mention ****ING DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS. YEA, DK IS BACK, NO BONGOS, OH AND RETROS MAKING IT, AND ITS OUT IN THIS YEAR, HAVE FUN IDIOTS

Oh, and Golden Sun Dark Dawn. And the fact they were remaking STAR FOX 64 AND OCARINA OF TIME FOR THEIR NEW HANDHELD. E3 2010 is mindboggling to think about nowadays given Nintendo's current output, even over the last few years in the Switch generation.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have no clue what Jeff Grubb's "wild card" hint is because I can count on my fingers and toes on what it could be from the treasure chest of lingering rumors:

-the most unbelievable of the three dead franchise revivals.

-the most unbelievable of the three Classic NES/indie collabs.

-the Master Chief Collection and/or RARE Replay for Switch.

-the Secret Butt Fun Square Enix project.

-the Namco dead franchise revival.

-F-Zero

-Literally anything in Pack 7 or 8 of Smash to the common observer.

-Persona 5 on Switch.

-GTA on Switch.

-Classic RARE franchises coming back on Microsoft and Nintendo platforms.

-Splatoon 3 or a Splatoon spin-off.

-A big ass Nintendo racing game that may or may not be Mario Kart but in the same vein.

-Zelda Remasters.

There's just way too much right now to totally narrow it down.
This is kind of a recap of all the major lingering rumors that I think most people would dub "unbelievable" and I posted this in early August. Golden Sun and SMRPG are now public, a ton has come out supporting the Zelda Remasters, and the racing game was likely Mario Kart Live. Beyond that there's still Wario, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and DK rumors that may or not pan out soon so between now and the spring I think we have a lot to look forward to.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I've been off since yesterday and apparently stuff's gone down!
So from what I've seen so far, a copyright for SMRPG has been renewed recently, a sequel/remake rumor is a big secret going around & Geno's Smash chances are now even closer.

Is that about right? Anybody that knows more want to correct me or let me know if I missed anything?

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Not sure who else in this thread actually listened to the entire Japan time episode where Roger mentioned the Mario RPG rumor, but I just finished it. Outside that clip that someone shared the podcast was actually talking about Square showing up at TGS and having a bunch of unannounced games that they said they would have shown us this summer but still have not. It's actually clear from the way they're talking that a lot of the guys on the podcast knew about the rumor and that the person on Twitter Roger was referring to was actually out in the open, not somebody like Zell, somebody who had predicted things correctly in the past, somebody with connections and someone you could easily find with a quick search on Twitter. He also flat out says that Geno in Smash is a tie in (but gets cut off before finishing his sentence) and that the new game is a big secret Square project and Nintendo's big secret third party game for the holidays, alongside something from Capcom that is likely a Monster Hunter game. He and a co-host heavily implied that they were expecting to have seen this game by now or whatever it was meant to be but it keeps getting delayed internally at Nintendo.

Just some more clarification and fuel for the fire

Ok, so I've been off since yesterday and apparently stuff's gone down!
So from what I've seen so far, a copyright for SMRPG has been renewed recently, a sequel/remake rumor is a big secret going around & Geno's Smash chances are now even closer.

Is that about right? Anybody that knows more want to correct me or let me know if I missed anything?
No, the copyright was not renewed. That was the point. I was the one who found it and it's still the original. Mario and Luigi did have a copyright renewal though

Edit: sorry about the double post

Last edited by a moderator:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Oh that reminds me. If a Mario rep like Geno is the next fighter, then we have look out for the Mallow hat. If the hat's model and details are the same from that leak, then it's real and the Doomslayer is probably in.
I'd think it's likely too that we just get Cacodemon as a mii and nothing more. Like Assassin's Creed, Fallout, etc.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
All this buzz about Geno and a potential SMRPG remake/sequel is giving me E3 2019 Nintendo Direct deja vu. With Roger mentioning it on the most recent Japantime Podcast, it sure does give that vibe that finally all those "coincidences" and rumors have piled up, and perhaps we're only a matter of days no further than a week from the floodgates finally opening.

D

Deleted member

This is kind of a recap of all the major lingering rumors that I think most people would dub "unbelievable" and I posted this in early August. Golden Sun and SMRPG are now public, a ton has come out supporting the Zelda Remasters, and the racing game was likely Mario Kart Live. Beyond that there's still Wario, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and DK rumors that may or not pan out soon so between now and the spring I think we have a lot to look forward to.
Hopefully those Wario rumors are true. I need Wario Land on the Switch. It's been 12 years.

PicsArt_09-05-09.09.45.jpg

Please.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Several of my brothers in the Illuminati were able to piece together the dates that the Direct page updated for their respective presentations:

July 13-14/17 - Partner Showcase July 2020
August 15 - Partner Showcase August 2020
September 1 - Mario 35th Direct
September 5 - ???

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Not sure who else in this thread actually listen to the entire Japan time episode where Roger mentioned the Mario RPG rumor, but I just finished it. Outside that clip that someone shared the podcast was actually talking about Square showing up at TGS and having a bunch of unannounced games that they said they would have shown us this summer but still have not. It's actually clear from the way they're talking that a lot of the guys on the podcast knew about the rumor and and that the person on Twitter Roger was referring to it was actually out in the open and not somebody like Zell, somebody who had predicted things correctly in the past, has connections and someone you could easily find with a quick search on Twitter. He also flat out says that Geno in Smash would be tying into and that the remake or sequel is the big secret Squaresoft project and Nintendo's big secret third party game for the holidays, alongside something from Capcom that is likely a Monster Hunter game. He and a co-host heavily implied that they were expecting to see this game by now or whatever it was meant to be but it keeps getting delayed internally at Nintendo.

Just some more clarification and fuel for the fire
I found the YouTube upload. I’m not really feeling like listening to the whole thing, so can you please give a timestamp to when Roger starts talking about the Mario RPG stuff and Geno tying into it? If you can’t that’s ok.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Several of my brothers in the Illuminati were able to piece together the dates that the Direct page updated for their respective presentations:
Between this and also the fact that the last announced 3 scheduled maintenances, of which 2 have already happened, happened in the weeks of these last presentations (first maintenance was on the week of the last presentation in august, the second one was in this week's monday with the mario thing happening later, and the remaining one is for the week of the 14th), It seems like it could be possible that either next week or the one above could have more news of some sort, no idea on what form or for what tho… I'm guessing between the maintenances and the direct site updates, the latter seems more likely to lead / hint something coming, as the maintenances definitely not always mean something is coming.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Between this and also the fact that the last announced 3 scheduled maintenances, of which 2 have already happened, happened in the weeks of these last presentations (first maintenance was on the week of the last presentation in august, the second one was in this week's monday with the mario thing happening later, and the remaining one is for the week of the 14th), It seems like it could be possible that either next week or the one above could have more news of some sort, no idea on what form or for what tho… I'm guessing between the maintenances and the direct site updates, the latter seems more likely to lead / hint something coming, as the maintenances definitely not always mean something is coming.
Just wondering Naz, has anything regarding Mario RPG come up on your end?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just wondering Naz, has anything regarding Mario RPG come up on your end?
Honestly I haven't heard from my source for days, and we barely talk about gaming info these days, I guess considering that getting info has been just nearly impossible this year overall, it's a miracle he even heard one or two things in all year. We mostly talk about other stuff and work lately lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom