• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Fans: 'Nintendo hasn't updated Smash's event this week. They are late. This might mean some big news is coming!'
Nintendo: 'Not only have we decided to be silent on game announcements, development status, Direct showcases and game releases, we decided to add Smash events to the list of things we won't announce until literally the last possible second.

We want to stop leakers, and we will achieve that goal by never saying anything ever again.'
Ah, the ole' "Can't have any leakers if there's nothing to leak!" scenario, haha.

We joke about it and I'm sure Nintendo wants to keep their unreleased products secret, but I wonder how much Nintendo actually cares about leaks. Unless there's video or screenshots, I think a lot of people these days won't believe it anyway.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ah, the ole' "Can't have any leakers if there's nothing to leak!" scenario, haha.

We joke about it and I'm sure Nintendo wants to keep their unreleased products secret, but I wonder how much Nintendo actually cares about leaks. Unless there's video or screenshots, I think a lot of people these days won't believe it anyway.
A lot but it honestly has more to do with exposure than the actual news itself. Leaks happen; it's evitable. People talk and anybody in any sort of job is eventually going to get a hold of information they have no business knowing and then sharing it with others that have even less business knowing. For example, I'm pretty sure this is why Verge was never slapped with legal action for leaking most of the base roster while Sabi supposedly literally had Nintendo lawyers come to his house over blasting Paper Mario and 2D Metroid to his 40k+ followers. If you have someone on a small forum like this that shares things, it's not worth the hassle to pursue them if only because it draws even more attention to what they have said but if you have someone "e-famous" blasting ****, that's a problem that needs to be squashed ASAP.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy, the dead 'never appeared on a Nintendo console' argument.

I'm disappointed in you Serenade, and now of no one's fault but your own, you will be part of the butt-end of my video that will eventually come out sometime this year.
If I hold an L, I hold an L. For what it's worth, I don't think the rule is "dead" by any stretch of the imagination nor do I believe it should die, so go ahead and throw that statement into your Master Chief celebration video, too, but you'll be holding off on posting it for much longer than "this year".

Honestly, who would blame anyone for betting against Master Chief of all the characters?

In actual news, the Sakurai column leaked. It's not fully out yet but it's about the changes they made to online last month, and based on what's been translated, I have one word.

Pain.
I wonder if they'll get rollback working, and wonder even more what they did to change it in the first place. It's an undeniably smoother experience when playing with people who are hardwired in... I wonder if they just reduced the amount of ping tolerance?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Okay so I had this idea sat for awhile and never posted upon it but since speciation is dying down and we’re all mostly bored I think this is some interesting speculation.

I was comparing the everyone is here original banner and The most recent updated banner and noticed a lot of it is connected and kinds hints towards dlc characters coming down the line in a way or at lest what spots they will go in and who could be candidates

I noticed that in the earlier banner before piranha plant was added the yellow Pikmin was looking at something so there was obviously gonna be a spot next to the Pikmin. Then we got piranha plant added in the spot next to the yellow Pikmin and looking back it made sense because they’re both plant related.

then I noticed king Dede in the original banner was looking at something and was looking petrified and then we get min min revealed and it turns out he is the one looking at her.

a lot of the characters are interacting on here with other people so when looking I actually noticed a few open spots where characters are reacting to things but theres no one by them that they’re reacting to.

I noticed Wario Is looking at something and looks petrified.

I noticed daisy is looking at someone or something so there’s a space there

I noticed snake is holding a gun to someone or is shooting something at someone so theres potentially someone there

I noticed Pokémon trainer is potentially pointing at someone

and then I noticed in the back bowser jr is potentially firing fire at someone.

these don’t mean much but it could point to where our next set of characters could be on the mural and it’s fun to speculate.

Attachments

Firox

Smash Master
I'd probably be okay with 'Dragon King' as a fighter in Smash. As long as I get Geno first, I don't really care who else gets in after. Though as far as I know, the majority of those early blocky fighters' moveset ended up going to Captain Falcon, so there'd need to be a lot of work done to make them stand out.

There's a part of me that'd want a hypothetical 'Dragon King' redesign to have Sakurai's face, but he'd probably never do it.
I gotta agree with you here. I honestly don't care who else is coming for DLC as long as we get Geno first. Everything after that is just icing on the cake.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
No weekly Smash event / tourney / in game news is a bit suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Sakurai presents or shadow dropped announcement this week. Fingers crossed! I'm fine with shadowdropping.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mario presentation this week and a General next week would be pretty groovy. I dunno. Given how much is currently being held onto, I feel like Mario alone could easily get a 20-30 minute presentation, nevermind literally everything else. If Nintendo goes full Mad Lad and does like an hour long presentation that would be amazing but I kind of get the feeling that whatever E3 was supposed to be was split into multiple Directs, just like how the Spring Direct was pretty much split into three presentations and a handful of shadowdrops over the course of 4 months.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I had this idea sat for awhile and never posted upon it but since speciation is dying down and we’re all mostly bored I think this is some interesting speculation.

I was comparing the everyone is here original banner and The most recent updated banner and noticed a lot of it is connected and kinds hints towards dlc characters coming down the line in a way or at lest what spots they will go in and who could be candidates

I noticed that in the earlier banner before piranha plant was added the yellow Pikmin was looking at something so there was obviously gonna be a spot next to the Pikmin. Then we got piranha plant added in the spot next to the yellow Pikmin and looking back it made sense because they’re both plant related.

then I noticed king Dede in the original banner was looking at something and was looking petrified and then we get min min revealed and it turns out he is the one looking at her.

a lot of the characters are interacting on here with other people so when looking I actually noticed a few open spots where characters are reacting to things but theres no one by them that they’re reacting to.

I noticed snake is holding a gun to someone or is shooting something at someone so theres potentially someone there

these don’t mean much but it could point to where our next set of characters could be on the mural and it’s fun to speculate.
FP2 was decided mid 2019 long after the mural designs were done, so while they will add characters in appropriate and fun spots, they wouldn't be pre-planned. Dedede and Wario were already being scared by Pokémon Trainer, and Incineroar, then they added Min Min there too and additionally her arm reflects Charizard. But unless maybe they're new DLC characters it doesn't tell us much.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Mario presentation this week and a General next week would be pretty groovy. I dunno. Given how much is currently being held onto, I feel like Mario alone could easily get a 20-30 minute presentation, nevermind literally everything else. If Nintendo goes full Mad Lad and does like an hour long presentation that would be amazing but I kind of get the feeling that whatever E3 was supposed to be was split into multiple Directs, just like how the Spring Direct was pretty much split into three presentations and a handful of shadowdrops over the course of 4 months.
So if we do get a Mario direct this week, do you think it would include a Mario series Smash character or would that be saved for a general direct?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
FP2 was decided mid 2019 long after the mural designs were done, so while they will add characters in appropriate and fun spots, they wouldn't be pre-planned. Dedede and Wario were already being scared by Pokémon Trainer, and Incineroar, then they added Min Min there too and additionally her arm reflects Charizard. But unless maybe they're new DLC characters it doesn't tell us much.
incineroar isn’t looking at Wario though, he’s looking at villager and Wario isn’t looking at Pokémon trainer.

I know dlc was planned mid way through 2019 but it’s just that a lot of the characters are interacting on the mural so they will have put some consideration into Where they place characters.

it’s also just fun to speculate. like for example if I was looking at who could go between Wario and Pokémon trainer then I’d probably think another Pokémon rep could be there.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The irony is that all that is left for Nintendo to do with this 35th Mario Anniversary game is to announce that it officially exists. Everyone else like Gameexplain and insiders have already covered everything else with it.

What should have been a reveal that was met with pure excitement and happiness will now mostly be met with 'Its about time, Nintendo.'

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Reminder that game centered directs are announced two days in advance
I don't see them shadow dropping a presentation or reveal of what seems to be an important Mario game lol
At most right now I can see a mini dropped tomorrow...

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
The irony is that all that is left for Nintendo to do with this 35th Mario Anniversary game is to announce that it officially exists. Everyone else like Gameexplain and insiders have already covered everything else with it.

What should have been a reveal that was met with pure excitement and happiness will now mostly be met with 'Its about time, Nintendo.'
It’s even in the previews section of the newest Nintendo Force magazine. They note it’s just a rumor but still.
F3D49F40-8B34-479B-A925-0D3EFEB39BA0.jpeg

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

AugustusB

Smash Champion
everyone is gonna look like fools if this Mario stuff was leakbait
I have had that thought for a long time now. And if it is, what on Earth could it be hiding from the public eye? Because this would be QUITE a long bait for something that may not live up to the actual thing it is keeping secret.

a random user

Smash Journeyman

to add on to this pikachu is using thunderbolt, but the bolt is not above him, but off to the side, at some point he should be moved to the left, and a char placed there

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Sorry I've been more inactive in here for the people who care, but I suppose I'm taking a little bit of a break like Enigma735 Enigma735 . I'm caught between this mindset of wanting game announcements and wishing Nintendo would communicate, but also trying to not be too much of an "armchair critic" because of the whole pandemic.

I at leaet hope the Mario collection is real and coming this year. I adore 3D Mario but even then, those games are reportedly just gonna be simple upscale jobs and not much else (aside from possibly 64). As a huge 3D Mario fan I wish Nintendo would go the extra mile but oh well.

This recent Smash shenanigan is weird but with how rumors and speculation has been for the past few months and how things have just straight-up not gone according to anyone's plan, I'm just gonna let whatever happens happen. I don't think Nintendo is doomed or anything like some always resort to thinking whenever Nintendo has their little "moments", but for this year, I do think Nintendo is kinda bunk in the last half of the year.

After the last two Partner Showcases, this has been me
LostHope.jpg

(I'll be back soon once some news drops though! It's just that the thread has been painfully slow for the most part! I look forward to when news drops and I come back in here! I'll still lurk though!)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I have a new theory, I will put it here:

What if Sakurai and Nintendo decide to end the Smash Franchise just as how it started? I mean, putting back as the final character, the first character planned for Smash. Maybe as DLC #81 or maybe as a Bonus. I’m talking about the Pre-Smash-Project, which is called: “Dragon King: The Fighting Game”.
View attachment 284182View attachment 284183

I have read that Sakurai had to take down the previous ideas (these characters with no face) after deciding with the Team that they will use Nintendo characters to fight with each other, to give it a “soul” to the game (which was the best decision cause it’s now the best fighting game ever and a legendary/iconic/masterpiece franchise of Nintendo). The point is, that maybe to honor Iwata (RIP) or just to come full circle, reuse those old models and make it a new Full Fighter as I said as Character #81 or Bonus. Maybe one guy/girl called Dragon King/Queen with more alt.costumes and as Stage, the one called: “Ryuoh” in the Yamanashi prefecture where Sakurai himself took pics to recreate that area in the game. Also where the HAL buildings were.

Im not saying this is going to happen or that I’m rooting for this. But I actually believe it has chances. Also because it would be like the typical unexpected thing that could surprise us all and honor those times.

What do you all think? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice @papagenos @RetrogamerMax Enigma735 Enigma735 @Griselda Firox Firox @Kremling Kommander @MisterMike Vector Victor Vector Victor @waterhasataste @Heoj @Nicnac okamifire okamifire @7NATOR @LDGno97 MattX20 MattX20 @Nazyrus @Heoj @GenoToto Geno Boost Geno Boost @Let Geno Smash PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate

Best wishes from Chile and hope that Geno joins the party in September!
i love unused characters of many video games but this one doesnt seems to have a charm or personality in it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So if we do get a Mario direct this week, do you think it would include a Mario series Smash character or would that be saved for a general direct?
Depends. Smash characters have never been shadowdropped because they know people will literally take off work for them and will freak out if they are spoiled. If Nintendo just quietly uploads a Mario Mini tomorrow, I'm not going to expect Smash in it and simply assume they're saving it for a General.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
At this point, if the Mario 3D remasters actually exist, then insiders have done a hell of a lot better job of advertising it than Nintendo has... which is just sad considering this is Nintendo's signature franchise we're talking about.
I'd sooner look to insiders for a release date for it over Nintendo. In fact, insiders look like official sources and Nintendo looks like the bandwagoning upstart leaking for e-cred.

In their fight to stop leakers, Nintendo caused leakers to be more supported and accepted by fans because at least leakers are saying something.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My guess is they're going to do a general direct mini mostly since it seems highly unlikely for Nintendo to make a mini solely for Mario remasters

Firox

Smash Master
I have had that thought for a long time now. And if it is, what on Earth could it be hiding from the public eye? Because this would be QUITE a long bait for something that may not live up to the actual thing it is keeping secret.
Is it sad that I'm at the point now where I'd actually be surprised if the Mario stuff WASN'T leak bait?

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
My guess is they're going to do a general direct mini mostly since it seems highly unlikely for Nintendo to make a mini solely for Mario remasters
True. There was probably going to be a Mario direct originally that would have showed the 3D collection, Mario 3D World Deluxe, Paper Mario, Super Nintendo World, the Mario Legos, and maybe a Mario series character for Smash but half of those have already been shown/released at this point.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I hate to be that guy, but im firmly of the mindset the next direct is another partner showcase. The last vid said more were coming, so thats what I expect.

I can smell it... no Spirit Event / Tourney this week... Direct page updated.... Super Mario-related announcement tomorrow.... Super Mario-related character for Smash tomorrow? Tomorrow might actually be the day!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
everyone is gonna look like fools if this Mario stuff was leakbait
Good thing it won't be.

You guys seem to have forgotten how leakbait works, due to the lack of official leakbait recently.

Leakbait cannot be too good nor too bad, and it cannot be something literally everyone wants nor something no one gives a **** about.

Leakbait needs to be in the juicy gooey center to be effective, which is why Geno or Waluigi make horrible leakbait. It's also why 3D Mario collection is horrible leakbait because whatever else they could announce cannot compare to paying 60 bucks for multiple 3D Mario titles remastered or better yet remade.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I already said it on Discord but, in my opinion, the big upside to nothing being announced yet is that they always give at least 24 hours notice for bigger presentations. That means a 4/5PM (smelly Midwestern American time) announcement is all but guaranteed to be a noteworthy presentation if a presentation is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom