• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice have the dead franchises you're talking about had international releases?
Yes. None are Japanese or Western exclusives.

Also, on the topic of the NES/Indie collabs because a lot of people have asked, the source didn't want me to share the one that they not only thought was guaranteed likely by the end of the year, but one of their guesses for one of the other two was Balloon Fighter but I do want to note that they said they were significantly less confident in the identity of other two and that's the only reason I bring it up. Balloon Fighter is literally just a guess on their part.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

Also, on the topic of the NES/Indie collabs because a lot of people have asked, the source didn't want me to share the one that they not only thought was guaranteed likely by the end of the year, but one of their guesses for one of the other two was Balloon Fighter but I do want to note that they said they were significantly less confident in the identity of other two and that's the only reason I bring it up. Balloon Fighter is literally just a guess on their part.
Urban Champion as a side scrolling beat em up!

Seriously though, I also forgot Wrecking Crew and the shooting gallery games exist. Would not be surprised if those are it too. Definitely definitely good candidates for small, indie developed eShop games

Droodle

Smash Lord
Droodle Droodle I talked about it months ago but Imran Khan is not just some schmo. I think his speculation is important because of his place in the industry and if he considers Sora and Chief to be the "Big Ones" Smash could pull off, it's likely based on things he knows. Keep in my that this was near the beginning of the year and the possibility of Master Chief has grown stronger with time so, even if he doesn't definitively know, reality has gone in that direction anyways.
Yeah, Imran isn't some Schmo; but even then there's a difference between him "leaking and "hinting" at information/characters and him discussing big characters. Even within the context of that video he isn't the one that brings up Sora/Chief for Smash, it's just that discussions tend to travel to those characters in particular because they'd be "hype". And pretty much all he said was that yeah, they'd be big characters; nothing really surrounding "they're in, or they're not in".

I dunno how people take him literally bringing up a huge character in a topic already involving Smash DLC as a hint or anything close to it.

I mean if we take everything that Imran has said as "evidence":
- Geno may end up getting in (July 2020)
- Fighter 7 may end up being Paper Mario (July 2020)
- Fighters Pass 2 is going to feature more 1st party characters rather than 3rd parties (Feb 2020 and June 2020).

In the end, at the time I think it's safer to assume that Imran doesn't know about Master Chief getting into Smash; he hasn't even mentioned him a ton within the context of Smash since. Reality may indeed result in Chief being a fighter, but I don't think Imran saying Chief/Sora would be huge character is a hint towards anything.

I mean if we take literally everything insiders hint/joke/speculate about. Then at this point a ton of the more "well known" insiders have talked/hinted at a Pokemon getting into Smash as a DLC fighter. But I don't see many people taking those statements seriously, do I?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Droodle Droodle That's not the point I'm making. Even if he doesn't know anything, it's still an educated guess based on what he does. When professionals talk about their field of expertise, their opinions don't exist in a vacuum. It's layman opinion versus expert opinion. It's not like asking him what his favorite flavor of ice cream is, it's asking him about a field that he's very involved in and understands the inner workings of better than a vast majority of people. His opinion carries his experience and knowledge from job, giving him insight on what would be practical/doable for a big showstopper for Ultimate.

Let me put this another way. I've been doing this 15 years. 2020 is literally the first year Master Chief had been taken seriously as a possible Smash addition. This is why Khan's opinions on the matter carry so much weight.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Droodle

Smash Lord
Droodle Droodle That's not the point I'm making. Even if he doesn't know anything, it's still an educated guess based on what he does. When professionals talk about their field of expertise, their opinions don't exist in a vacuum. It's layman opinion versus expert opinion. It's not like asking him what him what his favorite flavor of ice cream is, it's asking him about a field that he's very involved in and understands the inner workings of better than a vast majority of people. His opinion carries his experience and knowledge from job, giving him insight on what would be practical/doable for a big showstopper for Ultimate.
Dude all that he said was that Master Chief and Sora would be "big" characters in Smash, AND he wasn't even the one to switch over to that topic, someone else did. It doesn't take an expert to say that Master Chief and Sora would be "hype" additions. He literally JUST said that. He didn't even talk about their chances in FP 2 at all, and Master Chief was just a passing statement as most of the things he talked about was Sora/Disney. I don't know how you can take that as a "hint", when it's a pretty clear and shut case of him just mentioning Sora and Chief.

Heck, if we're accepting that as evidence; then we might as well accept the fact that this pass will mostly be 1st party with maybe 1-2 3rd party characters considering he has said that this pass will likely end up having a "big" emphasis on Switch evergreens and 1st party characters are easy to keep/negotiate for. And unlike the Master Chief and Sora debacle, he said this multiple times (granted he did hint at Min Min alongside one of his statements, but that still doesn't change the fact he outright said it). He even explained his reasoning for why it would make sense for Nintendo to make a largely 1st party pass. Or the fact that Imran has outright predicted Paper Mario for 7, and most of his Geno "hints" don't explicitly indicate a fighter.

Yes, Imran knows things for sure. But that doesn't mean he can't talk about characters, who he doesn't know are going to get in or not. There's a big difference between him saying "Chief would be a big character" and "Chief is probably in Smash". He isn't all knowing, and there re plenty of times where you could say he's been blindsided by information.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Droodle Droodle Let me repeat myself. Before this year, literally no one thought Master Chief was a realistic choice. I remember back in 2006/2007 when Chief was brought up as a "joke" like Cloud or Crash. Someone like Khan suddenly being like "mmm, that could possibly happen," is a very big deal. It's a massive shift in tone when an industry professional takes the possibility seriously when the "correct" answer until very recently was to look someone dead in the eye and tell them to go **** themselves.

D

Deleted member

I'd argue the opposite. If people are just now figuring out how to do this almost 9 months after Cacomallow, it gives a ton of weight to it being real.
Considering the date of this posting is as recent as last week, I'm not clear on where the implication is that this was the case back during the leak's appearance.
Fair enough. Since it takes time for leaks to pan out I would wait till Fighter 7 or 8. I will say though, there could easily be that guy somewhere who somehow figured out to bypass the file size limit. Heck, all of this may have been possible and now modding may have been picking up steam. People can go into great lengths just to troll the Smash fanbase. Like a certain leak back in 2018. That’s why I’m mixed. You never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Back in the brawl days, Mallow, Geno, Cloud, Sora, Crash, Banjo, and Master Chief were all fantasies. Pipe dreams. No one would take you seriously if they were on your wish list. Hell, they would never consider Sonic before he was announced. Between Smash Wii U/3DS and Smash Ultimate we have had these "Fan Rules" broken with almost every character reveal. I'm really baffled at how there are still nay sayers after we have received certain characters. They are not exceptions to the rules or special cases. The only rule that seems to be left is no 4th party characters. With that, I'm looking forward to Geno, Crash, and Master Chief entering Smash

MattX20

Smash Hero
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , is my theorizing of a potential Sakurai Presents for FP7 a plausible one should we not get a general mini direct in August?

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

IDK why but that sounds like StarTropic

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
All this talk of Master Chief up in here is making me want him as a fighter. Not as much as I want Geno, and IMO less realistic... but I'd definitely be rocking both fighters if they arrived.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you guys have heard but :

According to King Zell the next Direct will be a small one in the second half of August, and after that the main one will be in September.
A guy that is in contact with Kelios (Shadow) said that Kelios told him that the next Direct will be another Partner Showcase.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
Well, I can live with Mario remasters and Smash DLC for now. This too shall pass, and it just means 2021 will be berserk

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Droodle Droodle Let me repeat myself. Before this year, literally no one thought Master Chief was a realistic choice. I remember back in 2006/2007 when Chief was brought up as a "joke" like Cloud or Crash. Someone like Khan suddenly being like "mmm, that could possibly happen," is a very big deal. It's a massive shift in tone when an industry professional takes the possibility seriously when the "correct" answer until very recently was to look someone dead in the eye and tell them to go **** themselves.
Probably giving too much credit to some of these industry “insiders”. Ever since Banjo was released Master Chief became a realistic choice. Wouldn’t say that’s Khan using some insider info to come to that decision, but an obvious observation made in regards to the characters we’ve seen thus far.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
It’s nice to see Zippo acknowledge the Smash DLC though. I mean, obviously we know it’s coming, but still.

very bummed to hear that there may be no other first party games for the rest of 2020. As fatman previously guessed before, maybe this is another case of Zippo purposely omitting information? Just like Grubb and others. (Too lazy to find and quote the post from a few days ago)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
My only issue with Master Chief's chances is the lack of Halo on Nintendo systems. I know its not a hard rule, nothing is a hard rule besides the no 4th party rule, but I do see that as a potential barrier. With Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship, however, I do believe we will get the Master Chief Collection on Switch at some point.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Not really, people were saying Master Chief was a lock or likely as far back as when Banjo and FP2 got confirmed. No one was saying he was impossible after that, and Imran's "statement" on Chief came out 5 months after people were already taking him decently seriously.

And the shift between MC in Smash back in 2007 and now is pretty obviously due to how Xbox itself has shifted. It would be a different story if Xbox and Nintendo were still hostile and Banjo didn't get into Smash the first round. Banjo getting in led people to believe Chief may have a shot, especially when FP2 was confirmed.

So yeah, Chief was definitely not a "realistic" choice in 2007, but he was a realistic/believable choice ever since Banjo got into Smash and FP 2 was confirmed. And again, you're misreading Imran's statements as all he said was "Master Chief would be a huge character in Smash"; not "Master Chief may possibly happen". They're completely different. If he said the former in 2007 it would still be correct, but definitely unrealistic to expect him (unless you deny that Master Chief in 2007 would not have been a huge thing). If he said the latter in 2007, he'd be wrong.

Times change, characters that were impossible in 2007 are possible now and you don't need an insider telling you that. Half the characters/series we got in FP 1 would have also been seen as "impossible pipedreams" by most people. Unless you think that Persona, Dragon Quest, and Fatal Fury were "realistic" options back in 2007.

Unless I'm misremembering the video and you can tell me where Imran said "mmmm, Master Chief is possibly happening"; I think taking Imran's statement as anything more than him saying Master Chief and Sora would be good picks is pretty off the mark. There were no hints.

If FP 2 contained Ratchet and Clank, and then FP 3 was confirmed. People would be taking a request like Sackboy or Kratos a lot more seriously than they are right now. That doesn't really indicate that Kratos would be in FP 3, just that people wouldn't go Sony = deconfirm anymore. The same thing happened with Banjo and Microsoft. Now additional Microsoft content, and Master Chief in Smash isn't super unexpected; it's within the realm of what most people would believe is possible in Smash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably giving too much credit to some of these industry “insiders”. Ever since Banjo was released Master Chief became a realistic choice. Wouldn’t say that’s Khan using some insider info to come to that decision, but an obvious observation made in regards to the characters we’ve seen thus far.
For people like us, Chief became "realistic" after Banjo. That's not saying much. As the existence of this fanbase has shown, we don't really care if things are uphill battles or even borderline impossible. Insiders don't even entertain stuff they don't think is possible or even probable. Imagine if the conversation was Goku; do you see what I'm getting at? It's one thing for one of us to entertain the idea and another for a professional.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
My only issue with Master Chief's chances is the lack of Halo on Nintendo systems. I know its not a hard rule, nothing is a hard rule besides the no 4th party rule, but I do see that as a potential barrier. With Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship, however, I do believe we will get the Master Chief Collection on Switch at some point.
I mean, to be completely fair, every single character in the game so far had been on a Nintendo console in some way when they were added. Even Joker and Cloud, while they weren't the main series games, still had something. Cloud was in Theatrhythm on 3ds, Joker was in Persona Q 2 also on 3ds. So I feel like if we do get Chief in Smash, it'll be after he makes an appearance on the Switch.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Guys, this is the Geno thread, not the Master Chief thread. This isn't even the first time recently I've seen people get into multi-page Chief arguments here, seriously he has his own thread.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Times change, characters that were impossible in 2007 are possible now and you don't need an insider telling you that. Half the characters/series we got in FP 1 would have also been seen as "impossible pipedreams" by most people. Unless you think that Persona, Dragon Quest, and Fatal Fury were "realistic" options back in 2007.
I wouldn´t put Fatal Fury with Persona and DQ concidering SNK has always been kinda easy to deal with

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, going from the observation from Fatman's confidant, there's a possibility to get some information on or near August 14th.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
For us wanting Geno it'd be a heartbreak, but you gotta admit it'd be pretty hilarious if all of Geno, Master Chief, Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Doom Slayer, Sora, Rayman, Waluigi, Lloyd, or any of the other "highly probable" or flavor of the month characters didn't make it in.

I'm not saying I want this to happen and I fully expect to see a couple just based on the companies they're from and the impact they have on gaming. I legit like a good 1/2 of those and appreciate the other half, but yeah. ^_^;;

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
For people like us, Chief became "realistic" after Banjo. That's not saying much. As the existence of this fanbase has shown, we don't really care if things are uphill battles or even borderline impossible. Insiders don't even entertain stuff they don't think is possible or even probable. Imagine if the conversation was Goku; do you see what I'm getting at? It's one thing for one of us to entertain the idea and another for a professional.
We aren't arguing whether Imran Khan thinks Master Chief is possible. It's pretty clear by the way Imran talks about Master Chief, and Sora that he thinks both of those characters are possible. We're arguing about whether we should take Imran's statements on either characters as "hints". And it's pretty clear to me that he wasn't really indicating that they are in Fighter's Pass 2. Go rewatch the video. AGAIN, literally ALL he says is that Master Chief and Sora are some of the biggest "hype" characters out there, I dunno how people are taking that as him hinting that Master Chief is getting in.

I wouldn´t put Fatal Fury with Persona and DQ concidering SNK has always been kinda easy to deal with
Yes, but if you go back in 2007 and say that Fatal Fury is getting into Smash; I'm pretty sure most people would ask you to go to a doctor and get your head checked. Easy to negotiate, sure, but people would still consider it "impossible" because it's not a series everyone is familiar with and the 3rd parties were on the size of Sonic and MGS. I'm pretty sure most people would also treat Persona and DQ in the same manner.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm fine with the occasional short tangent on other characters (I was one of the people who answered the original question), but a multi-page discussion on Master Chief (a character that has nothing to do with Geno) seems excessive. I'd get it if it was being brought up in the Banjo-Kazooie thread before Banjo and Kazooie were released, but it doesn't really fit here. (the two characters don't have a connection aside from being third party characters who are heavy on projectiles)

If you want to know what makes him seem more likely, point out insider remarks that support him getting in (I'm not sure what Imran Khan has said on the subject; he seemingly hinted at Min Min prior to her reveal, though that could have been an educated guess based on her popularity), or discuss his chances for being in Smash, we have a Master Chief thread here:

https://smashboards.com/threads/i-need-a-weapon-master-chief.452763/

I get that the thread moves quickly, but this has been going on for four pages now.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, it seems like we might reach at least one more milestone before August 14th: 125,000 posts

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone else notice that we've basically gone from "Nintendo has a Direct that will melt everyone's faces off" to "a Direct is still coming but it won't be until September" to "2020 is literally a complete wash and don't expect anything new aside from ports and DLC until 2021" in roughly a week? Excuse me for being a bit incredulous to the idea that Nintendo's remaining 5 months of 2020 have gone completely up in smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom