• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Frankly I'm just shocked Blocked Content even still exists, like...how? How do you make SEMI-DAILY 10+ MINUTE VIDEOS on nothing but blatantly fake 4chan leaks FOR A OVER A YEAR and not drive yourself insane?
Because people keep watching.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well fie upon you, sir.
It's called being rational, I'm just stating facts, they don't put summonable spirits in the events because they don't appear on the spirit board (a few randomly do AFTER you summon them, but the point stands). It's why Shadow Mario, Fi, and Ruto don't seem to be in the event either despite being entirely blue, they're summonable.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something weird is going here in Nintendo. Everyone is going silent on news. And now, Giant Piles of Leaks and Rumors!? Oh what next?
Screenshot_20200721-124542_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I haven't even clicked on the video, and I can already smell the

WHATS UP YOUTUBE, WE'VE GOT SOME HOT AND STEAMY LEAKS TO COVER TODAY, SO MAKE SURE YOU SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON AND TURN NOTIFCATIONS ON SO YOU CAN STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL OF THE IRRELEVANT 4CHAN POSTS GOING FORWARD! WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, CREDIBLE LEAKER FATMANONICE UNVEILS SUPER SMASH BROS 6

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Since we're likely seeing a similar setup to the first pass, except for some more first parties (maybe?).

Give me 5 recommendations for how the rest of the pass will go, given these requirements:

1. 3rd party character that's more catered towards the West (ie. Banjo).
2. 3rd party character that's more catered towards Japan (ie. Hero).
3. Character that comes from a recently popular game that was decently big both in Japan and outside of it (ie. Joker).
4. 3rd party character that comes from a "niche" series with a lot of legacy. HARD MODE: Character has to bring a lot of music alongside them (ie. Terry).
5. Character from a recent first party game that would get promotional benefits (ie. Byleth) (You can "predict" future games for this).

Don't double dip on series or developers. Outside of Nintendo, duh. And try to be realistic.

My picks would be:
- Geno (Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting this here.)/Waluigi/Crash
- A Tales character. Lloyd or Yuri, maybe Alphen.
- Dante/Sora
- Demi-Fiend from SMT/Adol Christin from Ys/Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
- Sylux for Metroid/Zelda for BOTW 2/Xenoblade 3 character
Hmm....

1. Western Character? Give me Master Chief for that. With Microsoft assisting with Banjo, and seeming to be willing to work with Nintendo(remember that advertisement for Minecraft they did together???) I think it is possible for them to get their Mario into Smash.

2. This one for me is tough. I am not super sure what the Japanese fan base wants are. If Geno is on their top list, then I would put him here. If not, then... *googles random poll* Um, let's go Lloyd here.

3. Gonna put Sora here. I think KH3 and the other KH series games do well for both Japan and outside.

4. Niche series with a lot of legacy... This is also tough for me. If 2 couldn't be Geno, then I would put him here. SMRPG is a niche game, but the legacy of the Mario RPGs all stem from that game. If not him here, then give me Ryu Hayabusa.

5. Self promotional character? Gonna go with a Pokemon. If this ends up being the last character of the pack? Maybe do a Gen 8 Trainer? Scorbunny, Sobble's Evo(Emo dude), and Rillaboom? Wishful thinking, but if there is going to be a Pokemon pick, I would rather have options. Or Toxtricity.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Since the next spirit event is blue, if Geno is apart of it does that decrease his chances a bit or not. I feel like it would but others will have different opinions on it.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Hmm....

1. Western Character? Give me Master Chief for that. With Microsoft assisting with Banjo, and seeming to be willing to work with Nintendo(remember that advertisement for Minecraft they did together???) I think it is possible for them to get their Mario into Smash.

2. This one for me is tough. I am not super sure what the Japanese fan base wants are. If Geno is on their top list, then I would put him here. If not, then... *googles random poll* Um, let's go Lloyd here.

3. Gonna put Sora here. I think KH3 and the other KH series games do well for both Japan and outside.

4. Niche series with a lot of legacy... This is also tough for me. If 2 couldn't be Geno, then I would put him here. SMRPG is a niche game, but the legacy of the Mario RPGs all stem from that game. If not him here, then give me Ryu Hayabusa.

5. Self promotional character? Gonna go with a Pokemon. If this ends up being the last character of the pack? Maybe do a Gen 8 Trainer? Scorbunny, Sobble's Evo(Emo dude), and Rillaboom? Wishful thinking, but if there is going to be a Pokemon pick, I would rather have options. Or Toxtricity.
I’d say In no particular order

Geno

Professor Layton

not very popular/known pick

not ver popular/known pick

Pokemon rep

My reasons are that Nintendo have never gone over the top with known characters. People assume that it’s gonna be well known characters of fan favourites but that’s never the case with Nintendo.

we’ll probably end up getting a fan favourite, a less known picks and then a promotional character. Tbf wouldn’t be that bothered with it if those were the picks.

level 5 feels guaranteed to get something. I’d be shocked if they didn’t at least get a mii costume

Geno would be the fan favourite

Pokemon would be the promotional pick for their latest game

and then you’d have 2 lesser known characters.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It's ice themed: https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1288278065739702272?s=20
Pd: It is Blue, I just tried to be fast so i don't translate the tweet
I'M BLUE DA BA DEE DA BA DIE
DA BA DEE DA BA DIE
DA BA DEE DA BA DIE
DA BA DEE DA BA DIE

DA BA DEE DA BA DIE

Couldn't resist.

I haven't even clicked on the video, and I can already smell the

WHATS UP YOUTUBE, WE'VE GOT SOME HOT AND STEAMY LEAKS TO COVER TODAY, SO MAKE SURE YOU SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON AND TURN NOTIFCATIONS ON SO YOU CAN STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL OF THE IRRELEVANT 4CHAN POSTS GOING FORWARD! WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, CREDIBLE LEAKER FATMANONICE UNVEILS SUPER SMASH BROS 6
I miss when Blocked Content did Codec Videos.

Paraster

Smash Lord
It's because he's summonable, none of the summonable spirits show up in events.
He does have a spirit battle, though (I distinctly remember it being found in the space area of World of Light). Or is it that spirits that can be summoned never appear in spirit events even if they are not summon-exclusive?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Where did this speculation about Master Chief come from? I hear him mentioned a lot now. War will break out if Steve gets in.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
He does have a spirit battle, though (I distinctly remember it being found in the space area of World of Light). Or is it that spirits that can be summoned never appear in spirit events even if they are not summon-exclusive?
Yeah he does. (Shiek beign the Stand-in for Geno) It's also one of the most annoying ones.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Only Spirits that show up on the board can appear in spirit events. Some spirits are World of Light exclusive, some are summon exclusive, some are both, but the point is if they can't show up on the board naturally they won't appear in events.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Where did this speculation about Master Chief come from? I hear him mentioned a lot now. War will break out if Steve gets in.
I assume it's due to long-standing rumours about the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch, combined with him being the face of the Xbox and Banjo's inclusion making him seem much more likely than he used to be.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
updated my profile picture to properly reflect my feelings during everything that has happened during this entire speculation cycle

i'm so tired someone just give me a definitive "yes he's in" or "no he's not" so I can stop caring about smash speculation for the rest of time

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Copied from a Discord I had with two people on the subject:

"A lot, honestly. It began in December. One of my contacts had predicted Master Chief for 5 based on things he had heard but obviously that didn't pan out. After this happened, a number of things happened:

-One of my contacts became very confident that the Master Chief Collection was coming to Switch in 2020.

-Nintendo and Microsoft met together multiple times in January before Sakurai said the selections for Season 2 were finalized. Coincidentally, one of my contacts said that the final DLC character was successfully negotiated either in late December or early January.

-Imran Khan had heard that Nintendo had considered Master Chief and Sora for Smash but heavily implied that they were only successful getting one of them.

-There's no Microsoft Mii costumes yet but, coincidentally, Mii Costume Guy (the guy who leaked Banjo's costumes) has said that there's at least one coming in the future.

-Cuphead came to Smash, confirming the first of a long list of characters that Mii Costume Guy had predicted.

Beyond this, Bungie has expressed interest in Master Chief in Smash multiple times over the years and Chief is one of the few Western characters that's iconic the world over."

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
If it’s Sora v. Chief, I’m always betting on Chief. Personally, Halo’s a much bigger deal than Kingdom Hearts, and much cheaper.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Since we're likely seeing a similar setup to the first pass, except for some more first parties (maybe?).

Give me 5 recommendations for how the rest of the pass will go, given these requirements:

3. Character that comes from a recently popular game that was decently big both in Japan and outside of it (ie. Joker).
4. 3rd party character that comes from a "niche" series with a lot of legacy. HARD MODE: Character has to bring a lot of music alongside them (ie. Terry).
5. Character from a recent first party game that would get promotional benefits (ie. Byleth) (You can "predict" future games for this).

Don't double dip on series or developers. Outside of Nintendo, duh. And try to be realistic.
  1. Master Chief - Third party, owned by a western company, would be a huge deal for westerners.
  2. Lloyd Irving - Third party, owned by a japanese company, would be a huge deal for Japanesers.
  3. Rex & Pyra - Xenoblade Chronicles has been gaining a lot of acclaim both natively and abroad.
  4. Alis - Phantasy Star has been around since the 90s, and while the series is popular, it isn't as big or as recognizable as something like Final Fantasy or Street Fighter.
  5. Ring Fit Trainee - Ring Fit Adventure is a recent 1st party property that could benefit a lot from getting a character in Smash.

Lol! Someone already made a mod base off the beta enemy that was find in SM64's files into Paper Mario:

For y'all that haven't seen it yet:

Oh my god, that's amazing! And it's only been about a day! These guys work FAST!

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
-Imran Khan had heard that Nintendo had considered Master Chief and Sora for Smash but heavily implied that they were only successful getting one of them.

Beyond this, Bungie has expressed interest in Master Chief in Smash multiple times over the years and Chief is one of the few Western characters that's iconic the world over."
I don't doubt you, but do you have the source for the Imran comment and the Bungie comments? I'd just like to read them myself!

Also, while Master Chief is undoubtedly an icon, I feel like that's only true in the west. Not saying this means he can't be in Smash (I mean Ridley got in despite him not being too popular a request in Japan), but Xbox has historically bombed in Japan so I don't see Master Chief being particularly popular over there.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord

"A lot, honestly. It began in December. One of my contacts had predicted Master Chief for 5 based on things he had heard but obviously that didn't pan out. After this happened, a number of things happened:

-One of my contacts became very confident that the Master Chief Collection was coming to Switch in 2020.

-Nintendo and Microsoft met together multiple times in January before Sakurai said the selections for Season 2 were finalized. Coincidentally, one of my contacts said that the final DLC character was successfully negotiated either in late December or early January.

-There's no Microsoft Mii costumes yet but, coincidentally, Mii Costume Guy (the guy who leaked Banjo's costumes) has said that there's at least one coming in the future.

-Cuphead came to Smash, confirming the first of a long list of characters that Mii Costume Guy had predicted.

>sora was considered

Oh that does NOT bode well for us...

TTF

Smash Journeyman

Of the two choices for Microsoft having a 2nd rep, I believe Master Chief is the most likely being playable while Steve will be a deluxe costume.

Droodle

Smash Lord

-I'm pretty confident in MCC coming soonish to the Switch.

-The Byleth video was finished in November too. And Sakurai pretty much said that all the talks for FP 2 are over and finalized, so don't bother him on twitter in that video. Don't see how Nintendo and Microsoft meeting up in January would have led to Master Chief in Smash, when everything is already decided by then.

- This is just misinfo. Imran Khan specifically stated that Master Chief and Sora were some of the most "hype!!!" characters left, and some of the biggest "missing stars" in Smash so to speak. He then said that he's heard that Nintendo approached Disney, but Disney of Japan specifically had been an issue in with Sora getting into Smash. That said, he still thinks Sora is possible in FP 2; so it's more of an implication along in FP1 or Smash 4 rather than now.

He didn't really say anything on Chief aside from saying he'd be a big character. So he didn't really imply anything in regards to Sora and Master Chief's chances for FP 2.

-I dunno why Bungie wanting Master Chief in Smash is anything huge personally. There's a ton of other companies that have also said things about wanting their characters in Smash. And the biggest issue with Chief is that he isn't iconic in Japan.

I think MC has a pretty good shot (for a Western character), but I also think people are overrating his chances. That said, he would be a huge character for sure; I just don't think all the evidence you suggest lines up.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
>sora was considered

I disagree. Even with Disney being as co-operative as they can with the whole shebang, Disney have said that they're obligated to get approval from Nomura for anything having to do with Kingdom Hearts. That's several extra steps of approval needed for just Sora, let alone a stage, music, Spirits, etc. , and the fact that they have to do all of this during a pandemic. Meanwhile, Nintendo have publicly stated that negotiations with Microsoft over Banjo were as smooth as Dave Chapelle's testicles. Combine this with how many times Microsoft and Master Chief are brought up in that post, and I think it's more likely that, if that comment is to be taken seriously, Master Chief was who they got of the two as opposed to Sora.

Of the two choices for Microsoft having a 2nd rep, I believe Master Chief is the most likely being playable while Steve will be a deluxe costume.
Same. I know a lot of people believe that Steve has a lot of moveset potential, but I believe that being a Mii Costume would probably be for the best, mainly because of how well it represents the spirit of Minecraft. Given the game is all about customization, right down to your player character, it would be very fitting for both Steve and Alex (depending on the Mii's gender) to be included as a cosmetic outfit for the Mii Swordfighter, who is all about customization.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It's called being rational, I'm just stating facts, they don't put summonable spirits in the events because they don't appear on the spirit board (a few randomly do AFTER you summon them, but the point stands). It's why Shadow Mario, Fi, and Ruto don't seem to be in the event either despite being entirely blue, they're summonable.
Relax, my guy. I wasn't even trying to refute your point. I'm using it as a fancier way of saying "well, poopie"

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
>sora was considered

Among a laundry list of reasons we have to believe Sora isn't getting in, we've known this information for over a year. Changes nothing and Sora doesn't compete with Geno in any way really

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
The thing that is weird about the ice Spirit Event is that they all consist of characters whose main color is blue. Geno's main color is blue, yet he is oddly missing. Their has been numerous other occasions where Geno could have shown up in an event like this. For example, I believe their was a Spirit Event all about characters with capes, and that was another event Geno was strangely neglected from.

Maybe the lack of Geno in these events may be because Nintendo doesn't want a character whose planned to be in the game to show up in these events. I also don't even recall Min Min ever appearing in any one of these events so this could mean something here. Or nothing. Who really knows.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
As we near the month of August, the only notable release coming to the Nintendo Switch is Square Enix's Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered. Besides that there are some other third party titles and indie games. To each their cup of [insert beverage name here]. I'd like to think that if Nintendo doesn't upload many videos on their YouTube channel this week, then they're probably working on the Direct (whether it be a mini, a partner showcase... whatever at this point really).

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The thing that is weird about the ice Spirit Event is that they all consist of characters whose main color is blue. Geno's main color is blue, yet he is oddly missing. Their has been numerous other occasions where Geno could have shown up in an event like this. For example, I believe their was a Spirit Event all about characters with capes, and that was another event Geno was strangely neglected from.

Maybe the lack of Geno in these events may be because Nintendo doesn't want a character whose planned to be in the game to show up in these events. I also don't even recall Min Min ever appearing in any one of these events so this could mean something here. Or nothing. Who really knows.
Nah, unfortunately it's cos he was summonable with his only available battle in WoL

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

1. Master Chief
2. Lloyd
3. Crash Bandicoot (N-Sane Trilogy)
4. Dante
5. Geno (SMRPG Remake)

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I disagree. Even with Disney being as co-operative as they can with the whole shebang, Disney have said that they're obligated to get approval from Nomura for anything having to do with Kingdom Hearts. That's several extra steps of approval needed for just Sora, let alone a stage, music, Spirits, etc. , and the fact that they have to do all of this during a pandemic. Meanwhile, Nintendo have publicly stated that negotiations with Microsoft over Banjo were as smooth as Dave Chapelle's testicles. Combine this with how many times Microsoft and Master Chief are brought up in that post, and I think it's more likely that, if that comment is to be taken seriously, Master Chief was who they got of the two as opposed to Sora.

Same. I know a lot of people believe that Steve has a lot of moveset potential, but I believe that being a Mii Costume would probably be for the best, mainly because of how well it represents the spirit of Minecraft. Given the game is all about customization, right down to your player character, it would be very fitting for both Steve and Alex (depending on the Mii's gender) to be included as a cosmetic outfit for the Mii Swordfighter, who is all about customization.
Like I said above, Imran wasn't hinting at Sora or Chief being in FP 2 or event that they're "likely". He just said that they're some of the last HUGE characters that make sense to put in Smash. Nothing more too it.

Besides I doubt Nomura would be against Sora in Smash, him and Sakurai have been in good terms since Cloud released in Smash 4 (he even helped get the rights to Cloud) and he's said he wants to work with Sakurai in the future. On top of all that, Nomura and Nintendo are also on good terms considering he was probably the most prominent "secondary" character designer in Xenoblade 2 (he designed most of the villains). Besides that FP 2 was fully finalized before pandemic, so they don't have to get rights then.

I really don't think Nomura would be hard to talk too. I mean the guy drew artwork of both Hero and Cloud getting into Smash when they were both announced.

Oh yeah true. Although, I feel like some of the summonable Spirits were in these events, but maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly.
The scarier thing I find is that Paper Mario TOK didn't get any spirits added. I mean if we take Imran's "hints" at Geno seriously, it gets more confusing as he talked about Paper Mario in Smash like a week before that. I'm pretty much going to ignore most insider's statements from now until the FP 2 announcement is near. If they start hinting at Geno then, then I'll get excited. But for right now, I'm pretty sure everyone may be on the black regarding Nintendo and Smash, aside from rumors.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
If it’s Sora v. Chief, I’m always betting on Chief. Personally, Halo’s a much bigger deal than Kingdom Hearts, and much cheaper.
Yeah I agree. Sora has to go through two massive companies, both of which being notoriously difficult to work with, and Disney is literally the biggest company of all time. Master Chief, on the other hand, needs Microsoft's approval and seeing as how Microsoft is already on board, then I think its safe to say Sora would most likely be the one to not make it.

Also, as much as people in this thread disagree, I personally don't think we would get both Geno and Sora honestly. I know those two are owned by different companies, but Kingdom Hearts is still partially owned by Square and seeing as how Sora would need approval from not just Disney, but Square as well, chances are they probably won't get included together. [P.S. I know it is theoretically POSSIBLE, but I just find it very unlikely].

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I think we are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo has been affected by the world situation a lot more than we were initially told, and as a result, most announcements we may have been expecting are now being delayed as a result of the company taking steps to ensure their workforce isn't completely obliterated by a failure to act in regards to the pandemic. Yes; Other companies have had things to show, but I still stand by the belief that they are likely working their employees into unsafe situations in order to meet deadlines and take care of business at their expense. For a company like Nintendo, who focused more on retaining their workforce during the bleaker days of the WiiU versus letting go of staff, it makes more sense to me that the reason things have dried up is because they would rather focus on making sure their workers stay safe, even if it's at the detriment of products and releases.

I'm admittedly growing weary of the commentary suggesting that Nintendo, as an entity, has been sitting on their laurels and doing nothing as a personal attack on their consumer base, when in all reality, a company is merely the face of hundreds, if not thousands, of human beings working internally to ensure that the gears continue to turn properly - until it becomes a safety issue, in which case, some of those gears might have to stop for a while. Especially, bearing in mind that most people who make up giant companies like this have families and other immediate concerns that would very much be impacted by whatever decision-making is done by the corporate heads. The top dogs at any company have a responsibility to keep this in mind!

2020 became the year where most people should've expected things to stop moving, because to continue acting like nothing is wrong only serves the purpose of putting people into harm's way until a solution is found, and if this is why Nintendo hasn't been saying much of anything at all lately, I completely understand.

Some people are acting like Nintendo's doing this on purpose. "I thought they liked money." "They should at least tell us something, otherwise, they clearly don't care about us." "They haven't said anything, which means they have nothing." I feel as thought people fail to truly understand just how many pieces actually compose the entirety of the corporate structure, who all has to work, what all has to keep moving, in order to hit deadlines, meet demand, among other things, and if folks truly understood the environment we currently find ourselves in, they might actually realize that if things are still on-schedule for other figureheads, it's likely because they're pushing ahead despite the risks involved to the people that are responsible for their magic in the first place.

I want to reiterate that this is not a "Think of the Corporation!!" statement; More than anything I want to stress that my thoughts are about all of the people who are involved at the front lines, the people actively working their hardest to get things taken care of, despite what we're dealing with today. It's just been rubbing me the wrong way that, even when we're being ravaged by one of the worst disasters of our time, people are still expectant for things to continue as-is, that we still seem to find ourselves tapping our foot, demanding to know what exactly is on the way, because god forbid a company takes extra precaution versus just continuing to push its own people towards taking care of the bottom line.

If anything, 2020 so far has taught me the necessity and importance of realizing that set schedules and routines are one-hundred percent on-hold until at the very least 2021, and that we need to shake the mindset of keeping to certain practices with such rigidity.

I know a lot of us really just want positivity in such a bleak time period, but constantly looking at Nintendo with crossed arms going "Well?" is just inherently brewing more negativity than anything else, and I'm just seeing a lot of bitter attitudes more and more lately as a result.
(WARNING: LONG, BORING, SEMI-POLITICAL POST AHEAD! SKIP TO THE BOTTOM IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MELT YOUR BRAIN! I MEAN IT. MY CURSE SHOULD NOT BE YOUR CURSE AS WELL! TURN BACK WHILE YOU STILL CAN!)

Let me just say, I really, really wish I could give this post a like. It's dripping with humanity and compassion and I don't want to discount the effort and well meaning put behind it. You clearly care about the working class at Nintendo who don't need to be putting themselves at risk for the sake of product consumption and commodity fetishism and that's wonderful.

However, the problem is that you appear to be going for too much of a pro-corporation angle here dispite your claims to the contrary. It's not that we as consumers shouldn't expect more from them. It's that the needs of the corporate brass at Nintendo are still diametrically opposed to the working class who labor for them and even further opposed to ours as consumers at this time. Make no mistake: Nintendo--or any other company for that matter--isn't and never will be operating with the best interests of their employees in mind. They will always be working to maximize profit first and foremost and this means extracting as much surplus value generated by the labor of their employees as possible. Whatever pro-consumer or working class efforts you think Nintendo are trying to take right now with the way they're handling things, making money is still paramount to their survival. If they thought it was in the company's best interests to do so, they would be taking no breaks.

Even if we were to assume the best case scenario and Nintendo was trying to be as up front and honest with us as they can, we can easily disprove this notion by looking at their current actions. It benefits no one to be so silent about the state of things as they are doing. The only thing it serves to protect is their own sense of control over their product. It intends to give the illusion of normalcy by carrying on as if nothing is wrong and never addressing the concerns of the consumer base until they have an answer. They will create this answer by starving us of as much of their product as they can get away with and manufacturing demand, and then when they at last give it to us en masse, they can seem like heroes. It's called "Problem Reaction Solution" and it's a tool corporations use in times of business struggle such as this. Why do you think they're waterboarding us with these mini directs? Because it's to OUR benefit? No: Because it's to theirs. They can create the notion that they still have lots of products coming while making us more and more anxious for the "Good stuff."

In reality though, it's all just subversion. No matter what way you look at it, Either Nintendo have nothing to give us this year and are being dishonest about it for profit's sake, or they have EVERYTHING in their back pocket and are withholding it from us for profit's sake. In the end, we get the worst of it and they get paid. That is the ultimate goal even in this pandemic.

Therefore, as consumers we should absolutely be demanding more transparency from not just Nintendo, but all corporations. Let us use this virus as a chance to examine whether the material needs of average people align with the material needs of the ones in positions of power. Based on the way this Pandemic has spiraled out of control in the west as opposed to other areas of the world, I think most will agree the answer to that question is no.

TLDR: A good effort, but you need to go EVEN DEEPER. Sadly, if we want to fix Nintendo's situation, we need to tackle issues within our society that go WAY beyond the realm of video game discussion.

*SAFETY BEYOND BEYOND THIS POINT!*

Phew...So, uh, How about that GENO?! :smileye:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember the Geno vs Sora rivalry before Ultimate came out. They seem pretty distinct to be direct rivals. Nintendo has to approach Disney for Sora and Square for Geno. Sora represents mainly the Disney brand visiting all these Disney worlds with a side of meeting some FF and TWEWY characters while Geno represents Mario. I don’t think they’re that really much competitors as people think when you think about it.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Poop on a stick.
CACA EN EL PALO
Yeah, definitely this. Nintendo is also kicking off a huge ad campaign (I've seen it all over YouTube and TV), and it seems their big push for Holiday 2020 is...hardware. All of these ads highlight the actual consoles, with a focus on the Switch Lite. Existing games like Animal Crossing, BOTW, and Mario Maker are featured, and it's all very much tailored to millennial/Gen X parents who want to play nostalgic games with their kids. It feels like the strategy for the rest of the year is to Just Sell Systems, which after the buzz surrounding Animal Crossing and the general strong track record of the Switch so far kind of makes sense. I think if the Mario Collection is coming in 2020 then that lines up with this strategy pretty well, as it's more nostalgia that they can use to pull in casual gamers.

I get it, anyone who spends their time on a gaming message board is definitely not a "casual gamer", so this strategy feels crazy to all of us here. But Animal Crossing is legitimately huge with an unheard of tail/staying power, and if they can sell a system to someone who is only going to get a couple of first-part games, that feels like an obtainable strategy for Nintendo, especially in the year of Covid where completing projects from home makes things a lot more difficult.

Smash is arguably their least "casual" franchise, at least how the fans see it, and revealing more fighters probably doesn't really get them that much closer to selling more Switches. We may be in for a long winter, folks...
They would have to have STOCK first, instead of freaking advertisement. I´ve been searching casually for switches for friends, THEY´RE HARD TO FIND F"#"#N Damm"#$t
(WARNING: LONG, BORING, SEMI-POLITICAL POST AHEAD! SKIP TO THE BOTTOM IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MELT YOUR BRAIN! I MEAN IT. MY CURSE SHOULD NOT BE YOUR CURSE AS WELL! TURN BACK WHILE YOU STILL CAN!)

Let me just say, I really, really wish I could give this post a like. It's dripping with humanity and compassion and I don't want to discount the effort and well meaning put behind it. You clearly care about the working class at Nintendo who don't need to be putting themselves at risk for the sake of product consumption and commodity fetishism and that's wonderful. However, the problem is that you appear to be going for too much of a pro-corporation angle here dispite your claims to the contrary. It's not that we as consumers shouldn't expect more from them. It's that the needs of the corporate brass at Nintendo are still diametrically opposed to the working class who labor for them and even further opposed to ours as consumers at this time. Make no mistake: Nintendo--or any other company for that matter--isn't and never will be operating with the best interests of their employees in mind. They will always be working to maximize profit first and foremost and this means extracting as much surplus value generated by the labor of their employees as possible. Whatever pro-consumer or working class efforts you think Nintendo are trying to take right now with the way they're handling things, making money is still paramount to their survival. If they thought it was in the company's best interests to do so, they would be taking no breaks. Even if we were to assume the best case scenario and Nintendo was trying to be as up front and honest with us as they can, we can easily disprove this notion by looking at their current actions. It benefits no one to be so silent about the state of things as they are doing. The only thing it serves to protect is their own sense of control over their product. It intends to give the illusion of normalcy by carrying on as if nothing is wrong and never addressing the concerns of the consumer base until they have an answer. They will create this answer by starving us of as much of their product as they can get away with and manufacturing demand, and then when they at last give it to us en masse, they can seem like heroes. It's called "Problem Reaction Solution" and it's a tool corporations use in times of business struggle such as this. Why do you think they're waterboarding us with these mini directs? Because it's to OUR benifit? No: Because it's to theirs......

Therefore, as consumers we should absolutely be demanding more transparency from not just Nintendo, but all corporations. Let us use this virus as a chance to examine whether the material needs of average people align with the material needs of the ones in positions of power. Based on the way this Pandemic has spiraled out of control in the west as opposed to other areas of the world, I think most will agree the answer to that question is no.
Please use enter, that wall of text is dizzying. Form matters a lot if you want people to see the message. And yes, corporations will always look for it´s own convenience and profit. I doubt any gaming company would turn into a cooperative enterprise.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Rewatching reactions from the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct, I hadn't realized until now that the fact that it started with Hero's reveal trailer, the first character they showed was Link (from Breath of the Wild) fighting against Marth and Meta Knight (both under Dharkon's influence), and the very last thing revealed on that very presentation was the sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild. :eek: I wonder if they'd fancy doing such a big brain move again (or inverted)? :nifty:
For example, a similar dual end announcement could be them kicking off with the reveal of say... the Mario 3D Collection, and the presentation ending with Geno's reveal as CP 7. Or they could follow the same order from last year's E3 Direct; reveal Geno as CP 7 right at the start, and announce a remake or actual sequel to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Rewatching reactions from the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct, I hadn't realized until now that the fact that it started with Hero's reveal trailer, the first character they showed was Link (from Breath of the Wild) fighting against Marth and Meta Knight (both under Dharkon's influence), and the very last thing revealed on that very presentation was the sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild. :eek: I wonder if they'd fancy doing such a big brain move again (or inverted)? :nifty:
For example, a similar dual end announcement could be them kicking off with the reveal of say... the Mario 3D Collection, and the presentation ending with Geno's reveal as CP 7. Or they could follow the same order from last year's E3 Direct; reveal Geno as CP 7 right at the start, and announce a remake or actual sequel to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Would be lovely to start and cap off a Nintendo Direct with Mario stuff, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom