• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
How many of you will main 100% Geno? I’m on that list. I’m a projectile/distance guy since my first Smash when I was 9 years old (Smash 64 in 1999).

My Mains are Toon Link & Mega Man. There aren’t other characters I’m good at as I am with those two. Toon Link since Brawl and Mega Man since Wii U have been my all time partners in this game (also in general cause Zelda and Mega Man are my 2 favorites franchises outside of Smash). Back in the days of 64 and Melee I think I was a lot a Samus/Link/Young Link guy.

Now in Ultimate even if I tried with Samus, Young Link or others, no one will ever reach my 2 mains in Ultimate: Toon and Mega Man. I consider my secondary there: Pac-Man. That being said, Geno will also be a distance/projectile/timed hits guy, so he will completely fit my style in Smash. Also Geno is my other childhood hero since I was a kid in 1996, that’s why he is my most wanted right now and I will consider myself done and grateful when he makes in.

Finally, I believe Geno is going to be revealed as a playable character in the next months 100% and he will bring so much good material to Smash: design, music, stage and moveset.

Are you going to main Geno? Are you going to put Geno equal or even superior to your all time mains? I will try Geno to be equal or even greater as my All Times: Toon Link & Mega Man. Though I love Geno, that won’t be an easy quest because I have Toon and Mega Man written in my DNA at this point. But I will do my best everyday to reach that level also with our boy. (I’m not a profesional player, just a very passionate one since Smash 64, playing since ancient times with my friends, and within this Virus, online in Ultimate).

Im so glad that Geno will be a wish to all of us and not only he will have an amazing design and Challenger Pack, he will also bring a fresh and fun moveset to Smash, and a proper one to my skills in Smash.
Most of the charm of Smash for me is the ability to play many different characters I love or love their movesets and since I'm not at all a competitive player I would say no way would I 100% main him because I enjoy playing as so many characters. That being said, I would definitely play Geno often and try to make him one of my better characters. Sometimes I just don't click with characters I want to click with like Ridley but I think because I play characters like Lucas and Samus a lot I will probably be pretty decent with Geno. Lately I've been playing Mewtwo a lot and having a lot of fun with him and definitely getting better with him so I'm hoping Geno will also be a character that will be one that I can play and get more comfortable with and figure out how to approach a variety of situations with better options like I am with Mewtwo now. I really hope that Geno would not be another Ridley and K Rool situation where I'm elated they're in the game at all but have no real success playing as them because their movesets don't mesh well with my playstyles so I kind of just appreciate them from afar. But because of the kind of character Geno is, I don't think I'll really need to worry about it thankfully.

Last edited:

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure this has been discussed, but do you all think Geno will have a voice when he gets revealed? I always imagined he'd be like Mewtwo in Melee, with silent "Whispers" like "Hh! Hnn! Ha!" ect. Almost mute, but not quite. For his personality, I've always imagined him like Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho:

He's smarter than most "Mortal" people, possessing knowledge they could never understand. Dutiful, bound by honor and very caring for those he protects, but also soft-spoken and no nonsense. He strikes me as someone with a strict moral code who wouldn't really laugh at a joke so much as he would smile like the picture above and say to himself, "Hmm, that's indeed humorous, Mario! Now. Let us get back to the task at hand. Our enemies are surely not far behind."

What say all of you?
I don't know, the way I see it he would still laugh at silly things, and be impressed very often since he probably doesn't know much about the mortal world, while still being the respectful and wise character most people think he is. Something like Iroh from Avatar maybe?
Edit: I think a voice that would suit him very well would be Wirt's voice from Over the Garden Wall
https://youtu.be/X-0vZeaIrFg

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
How many of you will main 100% Geno? I’m on that list. I’m a projectile/distance guy since my first Smash when I was 9 years old (Smash 64 in 1999).

My Mains are Toon Link & Mega Man. There aren’t other characters I’m good at as I am with those two. Toon Link since Brawl and Mega Man since Wii U have been my all time partners in this game (also in general cause Zelda and Mega Man are my 2 favorites franchises outside of Smash). Back in the days of 64 and Melee I think I was a lot a Samus/Link/Young Link guy.

Now in Ultimate even if I tried with Samus, Young Link or others, no one will ever reach my 2 mains in Ultimate: Toon and Mega Man. I consider my secondary there: Pac-Man. That being said, Geno will also be a distance/projectile/timed hits guy, so he will completely fit my style in Smash. Also Geno is my other childhood hero since I was a kid in 1996, that’s why he is my most wanted right now and I will consider myself done and grateful when he makes in.

Finally, I believe Geno is going to be revealed as a playable character in the next months 100% and he will bring so much good material to Smash: design, music, stage and moveset.

Are you going to main Geno? Are you going to put Geno equal or even superior to your all time mains? I will try Geno to be equal or even greater as my All Times: Toon Link & Mega Man. Though I love Geno, that won’t be an easy quest because I have Toon and Mega Man written in my DNA at this point. But I will do my best everyday to reach that level also with our boy. (I’m not a profesional player, just a very passionate one since Smash 64, playing since ancient times with my friends, and within this Virus, online in Ultimate).

Im so glad that Geno will be a wish to all of us and not only he will have an amazing design and Challenger Pack, he will also bring a fresh and fun moveset to Smash, and a proper one to my skills in Smash.
My current main is :ultrob:
Geno would be annoying character for others to deal with because of the projectiles I am definitely going to main him, he is my main in smash crusade
Also I have been waiting for him for many years

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I imagine I wouldn't play Geno at all online. Timed hits would be a nightmare to pull off in the lag galore that is Smash online.

Would def try him out in local matches though.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I don't know, the way I see it he would still laugh at silly things, and be impressed very often since he probably doesn't know much about the mortal world, while still being the respectful and wise character most people think he is. Something like Iroh from Avatar maybe?
Edit: I think a voice that would suit him very well would be Wirt's voice from Over the Garden Wall
https://youtu.be/X-0vZeaIrFg
I can't see Geno being that full of childlike wonder. More of a puzzled curiosity. If Geno saw that car, he'd say "Fascinating! So these are earth vehicles, huh?...how do they work?"

I think Wirt's voice is also a bit too plain, if i do say so.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I play too many characters to 100% main Geno. My current "mains" are Ridley, K Rool, Joker, Banjo, and Min Min. I also play a lot of Cloud, Hero, and Byleth. If I had to choose one top character, it's probably Ridley. Hopefully Geno's play style will be something I can get into and he'll be right alongside Ridley, but I'm definitely not dropping everyone for him.

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon
Just curious. How would you guy feel if geno had a flower tab gimmick? For example a fully charged geno beam would take 10/30 tabs or a geno whirl would take 5 and regenerating tabs would work like Hero's MP system (waiting it out or attacking). Would tat be fair or too broken?

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Just curious. How would you guy feel if geno had a flower tab gimmick? For example a fully charged geno beam would take 10/30 tabs or a geno whirl would take 5 and regenerating tabs would work like Hero's MP system (waiting it out or attacking). Would tat be fair or too broken?
Imo sounds so weird ajd unneccesary

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
I've thought about that. It could work if his specials are made to be absurdly broken. Otherwise I think it isn't needed.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'd definitely play Geno frequently, alongside the other characters I already play. It's a really big roster so it's hard to pick mains and secondaries and whatnot haha. I just use ones I like, be it from their games or them just being fun characters. What I've tried to do with characters I like so far is to at least get them to Elite Smash and do all the single player stuff they have with them, so I'd be doing that with him too.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

100% will main Geno if he comes to Smash. There's a bunch of characters I enjoy playing, but I only have a short list of dedicated mains which are Link and Cloud, so I won't have much issue adding in another main. Plus, one of the main reasons I really want Geno in Smash is because he has a ton of moveset potential that would likely be a lot of fun to play with. If Geno gets in, he will definitely be one of my mains

MattX20

Smash Hero
A thought occurred to me. Not only is next year the 25th anniversary of Super Mario RPG as well as Geno, but it's also the 20th anniversary of both the Xbox brand and the Halo franchise as a whole.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That reminds, does he still keep in contact with Sabi (since I know they used to talk to each other quite a bit... I think) or are they no longer on speaking terms after that Google Doc on Sabi got published
I believe he stopped talking to Sabi, would be weird if he didn’t. Apparently Sabi’s E3 info last year was from him and VR Plant or someone, too.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I play a lot of characters (Ridley, K. Rool, Bowser, Terry, Joker, Banjo, Samus, Ganon, DK Hero, Ken, Ryu, Cloud and Mario) but on the release of Geno he's going right up there, at least to start with. If I don't enjoy his playstyle at all then I won't play him, him being in is enough for me- liking him would just be a bonus!

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know if I will 100% main Geno or not. My current mains are King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. While Banjo is definitely a heavy projectile based character (which is definitely what Geno would be), I feel my playstyle is kind of “in your face” and I try to more directly go after my opponent. Regardless, I’m already good at other full zoners like Mega Man, and with how much I’ve been caring about Geno over the last few months, I definitely think I’d play as him a bunch.

Firox

Smash Master

My competitive main is :ultgreninja: with my competitive secondaries being :ultwolf::ultcloud::ultridley::ultdarkpit:. Then I have a bunch of characters I'm good with that I play semi-competitively (aka slaughter my friends for funsies):
:ultfox::ulthero::ultjoker::ultmario::ultmewtwo::ultminmin:ultpalutena::ultrob::ultbowser::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie:

As for Geno, I would definitely try to be as good with him as I could possibly be. How high he gets in my internal tier list depends a lot on what style he ends up having and how competitively viable he is overall. At very least he'd end up in my semi-competitive category but if he clicks with me then I'd definitely try to make him main or secondary main status. The thing is though, in order to qualify as my MAIN main, he has to possess the following characteristics:

-Excellent recovery (I would only accept a normal linear recovery if it had stupid range like Pit's or Megaman/Sonic's)
-Excellent frame data (Needs at least a couple solidly safe on shield options with a couple consistent combo starters)
-Decent Kill power (Most fast characters in Smash hit like pillows and often struggle to secure a kill. One reason I love Greninja is that he is surprisingly strong despite his speed and can kill very early is used correctly. This is a trait I also admire in Mewtwo, though his ridiculously light weight is a pain. I accept the likelihood that Geno will be fairly light as well, but if he is reasonably strong or has any solid kill confirms then I'll definitely be using him often)
-Great Out of Shield option as a bonus (Something Greninja actually DOESN'T have but Cloud, Wolf and Dark Pit do, hence the secondaries)

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'd main Geno at all, since he's likely to be a projectile-focused character a la Mega Man, which isn't a style I enjoy very much. But I will probably play him a lot in single player and offline multiplayer just so I can be like "Geno :)" It's more or less how I feel about Rosalina. I find her a nightmare to play as, but I'm always happy to see her there.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you ever sit and think about how wild and unironically insane this wait for Geno has been?

-Geno was part of the Seven Squares leak in August 2018.

-Geno's part of the Grinch Leak in October 2018.

-NoA ambassador says Geno rumors were common in November 2018.

-Starling picture leak in July 2019. NoA ambassador guesses it may relate to Geno but was never given a solid answer.

-SMRPG music takedowns in July 2019.

-Mii costume leaks in July 2019.

-Geno's Mii costume missing in Hero's pack in July 2019.

-Rumblings of additional content after the Fighter's Pass starting in August 2019.

-Additional content confirmed in September 2019.

-A full second season rumored in December 2019.

-A full second season with 6 characters confirmed in January 2020.

-Covid-19 starts hard-hitting the world in March 2020.

-E3 cancelled March 2020.

-Nintendo announces delays because of Covid-19 in March 2020.

-35th Super Mario anniversary rumors starting March 2020.

-6 is delayed a full two months, was supposed to be an April 2020 release.

-Polish Amiibo leak in May 2020 showing Mario and Square Smash Amiibo rereleasing in September.

-Trials of Mana spirit event in May 2020.

-No E3 presentation in June 2020.

-Octopath Traveler spirit event in July 2020.

-July presentation delayed not once but TWICE and split up into multiple parts without anyone being told.

-Geno's Mii costume still missing as of July 2020.

-SMRPG still missing on the NSO, making it one of literally two notable first party franchise SNES games still missing as of July 2020.

-Square teases major announcements coming in July and August. Barely has announced anything in July so far.

-Jeff Grubb, Andre Seger, and Imran Khan all teasing an eventual Geno reveal in July 2020.

-Super Mario 35th anniversary is in roughly 8 weeks. Not a single announcement has been made yet.

-Miserably strong evidence at this point that Geno really is pack 7 and character 77.

-Nintendo releases yet another statement in late July 2020 that there will likely be more delays .

Has God abandoned us or does he even exist? Is this all part of some divine plan? Retribution? Salvation? Would we be able to tell the difference at this point? If you whittle down a man's soul into nothing, is the cold wind that blows through his husk of a broken body music to God's ears? Like Geno, are we just forgotten scarecrows in an ever expansive field, exposed to the elements and the crows that peck and scratch until we are reduced to tatters? Does God smile or is our total destruction not enough? Our sins are too great and, somehow, we always knew this. Hell isn't a place, dear friends, it is unfulfilled anticipation and expectations and we are its ambassadors. God help us, Genobros, but he will not... He will not...

"When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, There's just something about you that pisses me off." -Stephen King

1595207810893.jpg

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Has God abandoned us or does he even exist? Is this all part of some divine plan? Retribution? Salvation? Would we be able to tell the difference at this point? If you whittle down a man's soul into nothing, is the cold wind that blows through his husk of a broken body music to God's ears? Like Geno, are we just forgotten scarecrows in an ever expansive field, exposed to the elements and the crows that peck and scratch until we are reduced to tatters? Does God smile or is our total destruction not enough? Our sins are too great and, somehow, we always knew this. Hell isn't a place, dear friends, it is unfulfilled anticipation and expectations and we are its ambassadors. God help us, Genobros, but he will not... He will not...

"When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, There's just something about you that pisses me off." -Stephen King
1595430476433.png

Trust the plan.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Question: was Nintendo's way of celebrating Mario's 35th anniversary gonna be a section of the initial E3 Direct dedicated to Mario, or was it gonna be its own separate Mario-themed Direct/presentation?

If it was just gonna be a section of a Direct, and if these Direct minis we'll likely be getting in the next two weeks are just the E3 Direct cut up into separate videos, then I think this could be how things are playing out...
  1. July 10th, the "Useless" Stuff - All the games and DLC and whatnot that would essentially be overlooked filler in a normal Direct. We literally just got this one this previous Monday, with the only big announcement being some news on Shin Megami Tensei V.
  2. July 27th, the "Good" Stuff - All the games and DLC and whatnot that fans would be more excited for, consisting of both first-party and third-party announcements. Anything rumored that isn't Mario-related (Pikmin 3 Deluxe, the new 2D Metroid, The Master Chief Collection, Rare Replay, a new Donkey Kong game, Smash DLC reveals for Fighter 7 and possibly 8) as well as stuff that's been announced but has no release date (Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 3, Bravely Default II, and the Doom Eternal Switch port) will likely show up here.
  3. August 3rd, the "Mario" Stuff - All the stuff Nintendo is doing to celebrate Mario's anniversary, including 3D World Deluxe, the remastered 3D Mario games, and possibly other stuff we haven't heard about yet. I don't expect a Smash reveal here, but if it does happen, it'll most definitely be a Mario character.
So when are we expecting Geno to be revealed, at this point?
I expect the next Smash character to be revealed in one of the upcoming Direct minis in the next two weeks, so if Geno's the next Smash character, likely there.

Firox

Smash Master
ROFLMAO Congrats, Fatman. You've earned internet quote of the day. The Stephen King stinger was absolute gold.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Do you ever sit and think about how wild and unironically insane this wait for Geno has been?

-Starling picture leak in July 2019. NoA ambassador guesses it may relate to Geno but was never given a solid answer.

-Rumblings of additional content after the Fighter's Pass starting in August 2019.

-Polish Amiibo leak in May 2020 showing Mario and Square Smash Amiibo rereleasing in September.

-July presentation delayed not once but TWICE and split up into multiple parts without anyone being told.

-SMRPG still missing on the NSO, making it one of literally two notable first party franchise SNES games still missing as of July 2020.

-Square teases major announcements coming in July and August. Barely has announced anything in July so far.

-Jeff Grubb, Andre Seger, and Imran Khan all teasing an eventual Geno reveal in July 2020.

-Super Mario 35th anniversary is in roughly 8 weeks. Not a single announcement has been made yet.

-Miserably strong evidence at this point that Geno really is pack 7 and character 77.

-Nintendo releases yet another statement in late July 2020 that there will likely be more delays .

View attachment 279715
I don't think Jeff, Andre or Imran were specifically teasing a Geno reveal. They were probably just meme'ing around. Natedrake from resetera said he hasn't heard Geno at all so it may be a while until we get him.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Don't you remember Monday's direct?
smt the god you worship is dead.jpg

Ironicaly, in SMT, this is arguably a better outcome that if YHVH was still in command of the universe.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Every waking moment. We’re stuck in “he’s almost certainly in barring an act of Satan but they’re never going to show us another Fighter Pass character again” purgatory.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not that easily discouraged. After last year's DQ hero debacle and the 6 grueling months of toxic speculation, we're in considerably much better shape now than we were then.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Every waking moment. We’re stuck in “he’s almost certainly in barring an act of Satan but they’re never going to show us another Fighter Pass character again” purgatory.
Sakurai warned us never to ask him for anything again, and here we are facing the consequences.

domriver

Smash Lord
How many of you will main 100% Geno? -snip- .
I will main Geno regardless of his position in the overall tiers.
In SMASH 64 i mained - Kirby/ Ness
Smash Melee - Ganondorf 90% of the time. Little bit of Zelda.
Smash Brawl - King Dedede/Sonic
Smash Wii U/ 3ds - King Dedede/Sonic/Megaman/Bayonetta/Palutena
Smash Ultimate - King Dedede/ King K Rool / Megaman / Ridley/ Banjo-Kazooie - I usually Toss Megaman with Sonic/Bayonetta/Palutena around. Once Geno is confirmed * im hoping* my 5 MAINS are set. :)

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

View attachment 279715
It’s that kind of Wednesday alright

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think Jeff, Andre or Imran were specifically teasing a Geno reveal. They were probably just meme'ing around. Natedrake from resetera said he hasn't heard Geno at all so it may be a while until we get him.
There's honestly too much smoke at this point to not expect "something" Mario RPG in the pipeline. It was basically critical mass in May, now it's just obnoxious.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, I think we've got more reasons to be optimistic to see Geno revealed before the end of August then not. The direct on Monday was a dud for most, but if Kelios' is anything to go by, we've got a few more directs like this, and Smash will almost assuredly be in one of them

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
There's honestly too much smoke at this point to not expect "something" Mario RPG in the pipeline. It was basically critical mass in May, now it's just obnoxious.
I don't think people are realizing how big this was. Those guys aren't outwardly ***** to the general population and at least Jeff and Andre are on the record for being Geno fans (not sure about Imran). They are very aware of who their tweets reach and I actually would be surprised if they were "kidding around" about a character as beloved as Geno. That's borderline mean if so. They know something.

This whole fight scene is one of the most aesthetically pleasing battles in video game history to me. **** SMRPG is pretty

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Even if the insiders on Twitter and ResetEra haven’t heard anything about Geno, I still have a good feeling. While Nazyrus didn’t hear about Geno himself, a friend of his still did from their own circle, so while Naz couldn’t verify the info, it’s still at least something. Nekoo seemed to think he had a good shot, too, even after Naz cleared up the misunderstanding, but idk, that may not have been based on inside info.

The insiders joking around about Geno the day before what they thought would be a full direct is kinda suspicious, too, but of course they could just genuinely be meming since they want him as much as we do it seems.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I agree. Even if it's not Geno in Smash, we are definitely getting something SMRPG related. There is to much smoke for it to not being fire at this point

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I still stand by what I said. Geno is in my friends. Upgraded Mii or a full fledged playable character. Nintendo really thinks they're slick. He is in. Keep the faith. You'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom