• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
For those who haven't seen yet, in the comments section of that video...

gamestop.png

Looks like it was a poor choice of words after all and not a full-fledged leak.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I don't know if this was posted already, so sorry if it was, but GameSpot actually responded to people in the video's comments

comment.jpg

Either way, I think the video didn't do much for Geno's chances. They were already pretty good!

EDIT: Whoops, ninja'd.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
OKAY SO

This popped up on the video

1594947253163.png

Which, in and of itself is interesting that they'd even respond to it at all. But according to Polarthief Polarthief the video was private for a brief moment in time, and a few other people have been reporting the same. Let Geno Smash Let Geno Smash also reported the same thing here

So... what the hell is going on here? Damage Control gone arwy?

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I feel like they probably panicked internally and scrambled to come up with a solution to nip their screwup in the bud, hence the brief privatization before they settled on their clarification in the video comments. I wouldn't be surprised if they had no idea that they'd be getting this kind of response haha

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
It does indeed feel like that moment prior to Nintendo's 2019 E3 Direct when Banjo & Kazooie were revealed near the end. All this buzz of "he's in" vs "I dunno" by many. In 2019, many went in watching the Direct hopeful yet not expecting anything. Then... it happened. The jiggy bounced across the screen. :2gud:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
OKAY SO

View attachment 278801

Which, in and of itself is interesting that they'd even respond to it at all. But according to Polarthief Polarthief the video was private for a brief moment in time, and a few other people have been reporting the same. Let Geno Smash Let Geno Smash also reported the same thing here

So... what the hell is going on here? Damage Control gone awry?
Well, he isn't exactly wrong. I'm sure the intern running the YouTube account and most lower ranked employees don't have any insider info. :ultpacman:

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
OKAY SO

View attachment 278801

1st to all: Thank You for the mention
2nd: They covering the leak? I doubt it, the way they talk was too serious

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
All these hints from various sources are nice, but they mean nothing if Nintendo doesn't actually announce anything.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I've been pretty vocal about my dissatisfaction with Paper Mario's direction, but I don't think this hurts Geno.

If Nintendo's "Quality Insurnace" didn't say no to Mario being blown up by Snake's weapons, getting shot by Joker's gun or fighting it out with a half-naked Bayonetta, I don't know if they'll intervene to stop Geno from getting in Smash.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I think we can all agree that something is slowly becoming the worst-kept secret in gaming, and it's almost certainly something Smash related

Polarthief

Smash Lord
PapaGenos just posted a new video, and in there he mentioned that they removed the email from the supermario35 twitter account.
So yeah, they know we know.

Polarthief Polarthief makin' The Lists like:
View attachment 278796
That's way too holy for a gay jewish furry.

But according to Polarthief Polarthief the video was private for a brief moment in time
I can *absolutely* confirm that this happened. It's on The List™, but here's the compilation of everything that's happened today with Gamestop (that I sent to PapaGenos).

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
What perplexes me about GameStop's response is that they say that "Geno is a spirit in Smash not a playable character" which they only state that and don't actually acknowledge a miscommunication or any sort of error when clearly it was poorly worded. This seems like a very rushed response and I hate to be all tin foily but...this doesn't seem like a genuine response at all without acknowledging the mistakes made and just stating something that is fact and not even addressing what was meant exactly by this "positive reception" idk call me crazy but this seems like it could be suspicious. Maybe all GameStop employees just need to take a communications class or something.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I've been pretty vocal about my dissatisfaction with Paper Mario's direction, but I don't think this hurts Geno.

If Nintendo's "Quality Insurnace" didn't say no to Mario being blown up by Snake's weapons, getting shot by Joker's gun or fighting it out with a half-naked Bayonetta, I don't know if they'll intervene to stop Geno from getting in Smash.
Yea, this most likely won't impact Geno getting into Smash.

Geno being used for Mario RPGs, on the other hand.........

D

Deleted member

Is it just weird that they said, “It was a spirit. My bad guys!” even though the spirit was only discovered in the game? And also I wonder why they made a video private for a brief period of time. It’s not confirmed but pretty weird stuff. Poor research perhaps? Maybe. Likely. Best case scenario, damage control.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Thanks to Polarthief Polarthief we were able to catch records of the comment being edited
1594948457721.png

1594948469514.png

The fact that they had to edit that back in means someone is mandating what the statement is.

This is really feeling like shoddy damage control, combined with multiple people reporting that the video WAS private for a brief time and Polar providing proof of it...

Bomber57

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to pull out this old image from the Banjo-speculating days to represent how I feel here.

Atmoz

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5145-1574-6323
okay i wasn't expecting gamestop to do this lol, it really looks like shoddy damage control

MattX20

Smash Hero
Thanks to Polarthief Polarthief we were able to catch records of the comment being edited
View attachment 278804
View attachment 278805

The fact that they had to edit that back in means someone is mandating what the statement is.

This is really feeling like shoddy damage control, combined with multiple people reporting that the video WAS private for a brief time and Polar providing proof of it...
This is looking harder to dismiss as a mere coincidence at this point. It really does look like damage control

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Is it just weird that they said, “It was a spirit. My bad guys!” even though the spirit was only discovered in the game? And also I wonder why they made a video private for a brief period of time. It’s not confirmed but pretty weird stuff. Poor research perhaps? Maybe. Best case scenario, damage control.
So one potential explanation, if this indeed means nothing: Horton was referring to Geno's Smash 4 mii costume, but the editor didn't realize she wasn't talking about Ultimate, so just put footage of Geno's role in that game: his spirit. Then whoever's running the account sees all this, also doesn't realize she was talking about Smash 4, and thus can only comment on Geno's role in Ultimate, not Horton's intent.

But it could also totally be a legit leak, who knows?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
We really are so on edge right now that random ****posts by Gamexplain are enough to add 2 pages to the thread in an hour, man we, and really the rest of the Nintendo community, need a breakthrough. Min Min's presentation got announced on Friday morning, I doubt Nintendo will announce a major direct on a weekend, so I'd brace for impact tommorrow.

View attachment 278804
View attachment 278805

Yea, part of me thinks this is really going into conspiracy territory, and the other half is cool with that and thinking "How does saying Geno was announced for Smash apply to the spirit at all? It wasn't announced period, and nobody even went crazy over it. Again, why phrase it the way they did at all if they were refering to the spirit anyway? And why not just say it was a poor wording choice? And if it was just a wording mistake that means nothing, why private the video at all?"

We really are going crazy aren't we.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
After the Grinch fiasco I'm just gonna assume this means nothing. I remember then the company took down that video related to the Grinch leak and I thought the dream was real.

With that said, we still have a lot going for us.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
THE DAMAGE CONTROL IS ****ING PALPABLE!

GameStop has edited the comment so many times so far. Apparently, there's another instance of it just now.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 278804
View attachment 278805

I'm still remaining skeptical, as some have pointed out, the print companies in France responded and weren't lying when it came to the Grinch leak. However, real or fake, GameStop definitely didn't know how to respond to this, and it is certainly interesting

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I will remind you that getting this much attention drawn to a genuine mistake would be just as requiring of heavy damage control as actually leaking something.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
For those who haven't seen yet, in the comments section of that video...

View attachment 278800

Looks like it was a poor choice of words after all and not a full-fledged leak.
Well dang. At least I can appreciate the fact they let us know now instead of leaving us in the dark about this up until the reveal, so that I can respect them for.

I still think Geno has a great shot, but at least we definitvely know that this doesn't add anything for or against his chances.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This situation is bewildering. They gave a statement, but it has been so poorly handled that its hard to believe they are being completely honest with it.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Also, as for the Andre Geno posts, keep in mind that Andre has stated time and time again in numerous Smash discussion videos that he is a Geno supporter so that could be why he tweeted something about Geno, although I do acknowledge the possibility he could have some source saying Geno is in.

Either way, we must wait and see for that. CP7 literally cannot come soon enough. >_<

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This situation is bewildering. They gave a statement, but it has been so poorly handled that its hard to believe they are being completely honest with it.
It is quite bewildering indeed. Still gonna say it was an honest mistake, but it is hard to see how poorly it is being handled that makes me keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom