• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Min Min
Geno
Doomguy
Rex (with Pyra & Mythra)
Travis Touchdown, gen 8 Shillmon or some other Spirit upgrade
Rayman

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
papagenos papagenos just made a new tweet and oh s*** I never noticed this until now. If Sakurai is doing what I think he is...

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Saw someone point this out earlier and, dang, such a coincidence is just so wild.
Or was it just a coincidence? :nifty:

Next up is Fighter #77. Next month is the 7th month. 777. Seven Stars.

*BEWARE THE FOREST MUSHROOMS INTENSIFIES*

EDIT: FML... ninja'd.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
If you or someone you love has been hurt by spirits being promoted, please call us right away at 1-800-ITS-GENO. You may be entitled to financial compensation.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
papagenos papagenos just made a new tweet and oh s*** I never noticed this until now. If Sakurai is doing what I think he is...

Whoa.....MIND=BLOWN! After all the hair-brained, off-the-wall, farfetch'd number theories.....they were on to something?!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I had noticed this earlier thanks to a tweet joking about Todd.

I still have my doubts, but it could evolve to a trend of some kind. The fact that this isn't openly acknowledged, however, does make it open to coincidence.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
@Fatmanonice does the heihachi costume being here affect any of your thoughts on Lloyd?
Well considering Bamco's biggest competitor (Heihachi) got mii costumed, a potential Tales characters chances shot through the roof. Lloyd obviously benefits a lot, but at the same time Min-Min got into smash as she was the most popular, and the "Sakurai" pick like Ninjara got overturned. So really while Lloyd's chances did get shot through the roof, his competition from within Tales also rose as well.

It may have been a clever reference, or just a pure coincidence. But ultimately, I don't really think it should be treated as anything unless Sakurai specifically brings up the fact that it is actually a reference. Usually if it's a hidden reference, Sakurai flexes some of that gamer knowledge on us but he didn't do it this time, making it more open to coincidence.

Besides as I've pointed out before the number 7 is one of the most generic numbers out there. For all we know the next mii costume wave will contain Master Chief because he has a close association with 7 or that the next playable character will be Eggman because of the 7 chaos emeralds. Geno may be character 77, but it's better to not take these as hints.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Finally time to break out a new signature. Don't think this lineup is really likely (the second half especially) but it's who I want now

Last edited:

LDGno97

Smash Cadet
Saw someone point this out earlier and, dang, such a coincidence is just so wild.
Or was it just a coincidence? :nifty:

Next up is Fighter #77. Next month is the 7th month. 777. Seven Stars.

*BEWARE THE FOREST MUSHROOMS INTENSIFIES*

EDIT: FML... ninja'd.
felt something like this
Beware your sound

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Been a few hours, how's everyone feeling about Min Min and Geno's chances? I personally can't wait for Min Min and I think Geno's in an amazing spot. I've also switched around my predictions for the pass, I think we're gonna get Rex & Pyra, Geno, Rayman or Crash, Waluigi, and the inevitable Gen 8 Pokemon rep
I'm thrilled for Min Min and I think Geno is 100% happening.

July 7th... 7/7... 77th fighter... 7 stars... DESTINY.
:starman::starman:#77:starman::starman:

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Well considering Bamco's biggest competitor (Heihachi) got mii costumed, a potential Tales characters chances shot through the roof. Lloyd obviously benefits a lot, but at the same time Min-Min got into smash as she was the most popular, and the "Sakurai" pick like Ninjara got overturned. So really while Lloyd's chances did get shot through the roof, his competition from within Tales also rose as well.

It may have been a clever reference, or just a pure coincidence. But ultimately, I don't really think it should be treated as anything unless Sakurai specifically brings up the fact that it is actually a reference. Usually if it's a hidden reference, Sakurai flexes some of that gamer knowledge on us but he didn't do it this time, making it more open to coincidence.

Besides as I've pointed out before the number 7 is one of the most generic numbers out there. For all we know the next mii costume wave will contain Master Chief because he has a close association with 7 or that the next playable character will be Eggman because of the 7 chaos emeralds. Geno may be character 77, but it's better to not take these as hints.
Oh yeah I am well aware this probably means nothing, but I still think its fun to talk about regardless, and I think it could have been Sakurai being clever.

Firox

Smash Master
What if Sakurai is flexing on us SUBCONSCIOUSLY?! What if he's like some kind of crazy gamer god Rain Man when it comes to numbers and gaming lore but even HE doesn't realize it?! OOOooooooooooooh!

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its curious that talks between Nintendo and Bethesda regarding Smash dates from september 2018 (before the game was released) and we just got something from them 1 year and 9 months later. I still don't think Doom Slayer (sadly) will happen but maybe cacodemon costume yes.

The comment about spirit battles changing with Mii costumes I think was a reference to Ninjara spirit battle that will change with his Mii Costume if you have purchased.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Been a few hours, how's everyone feeling about Min Min and Geno's chances? I personally can't wait for Min Min and I think Geno's in an amazing spot. I've also switched around my predictions for the pass, I think we're gonna get Rex & Pyra, Geno, Rayman or Crash, Waluigi, and the inevitable Gen 8 Pokemon rep
Geno has as much chance as he had earlier, and Min Min looks, while she might fun to play, she will also be cancer to play against online.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Geno has as much chance as he had earlier, and Min Min looks, while she might fun to play, she will also be cancer to play against online.
Geno's chances look more solidified and Min-Min looks mid tier as hell. Despite common belief, not every new character that you have to learn how to fight is "broken" or "cancer". The balance in this game is unreal with how many characters are in

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I feel like she's going to be the second coming of K.Rool. Just an absolute noob stomper that more experienced people don't struggle too much against.

Firox

Smash Master
While I could see Min Min being cancer to play against online, I suspect that she will play very similarly to characters like Corrin and Byleth where their range is limited by a fair amount of start-up and end lag. I also noticed (in case Sakurai didn't stress it enough) that she has a hard time with aerial approaches since her attacks are mostly horizontally oriented. High mobility characters like Greninja (wink wink), the rats, Falso, Fox, Joker, Inkling, Roy, etc. will be able to rush her down fairly well unless the Min Min player masters her own aerials to compensate. It IS pretty nice for her that she has a reflector though. It makes camping her somewhat limited.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Online, playing against Min Min will suck. The "sit in a corner and spam long range attacks/projectiles" seems to work well enough with Min Min and that strategy can be king if you're willing to lag out the game.

In terms of actually competitive tournaments? I'm actually expecting Min Min to be low tier, possibly even bottom 10 if worst comes to worst on her weaknesses. Her kicks look to have good frame data and she's got more options than most thanks to the ARMS system, but lacking anti-airs in a game where 90-95% of the cast wants to approach with an aerial is going to put most of your match-ups in the toilet.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Jokes aside, I am so happy for you Geno fans. For a bit there it seemed like some of you guys were fearing for the worse, but with the "Spirits deconfirm" rule being dead, you all seem to be happier than ever! I've been in this thread for about a year and there was always this lingering worry about Spirits with people it seemed, so I am glad Min Min gave people resolve today!

Aside from Geno, I am also genuinely happy that people seem really excited for Min Min. I love Three Houses and have said before how I'm happy with basically whatever Sakurai makes, but even I know Byleth was kinda a tone-deaf Fighter #5. So when an ARMS character was announced to be #6, even though I love the idea of more unrepresented Nintendo IP getting into Smash, I'll admit I wasn't the most excited. And even though I loved Three Houses, I wanted the community to be in better spirits (ha) after Byleth's announcement. Fast forward to now, and a lot more people seemed hyped for the character now! Me included! And that always makes me happy to see! Min Min was probably the best character choice Sakurai could've made.

(P.S.: Since the ARMS director told Sakurai Min Min, that means Nintendo just told Sakurai broadly that Fighter #6 was to be an ARMS rep. So nothing specific which is interesting.)

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure we'll see more Spirit Upgrade fighters (1-2 more is my guess), but wouldn't be surprised if a bulk of Spirit Upgrades are to Mii Costumes. Ninjara, Callie and Marie's spirit Battles will likely be changed once the Mii Costumes are available

Firox

Smash Master
Online, playing against Min Min will suck. The "sit in a corner and spam long range attacks/projectiles" seems to work well enough with Min Min and that strategy can be king if you're willing to lag out the game.

In terms of actually competitive tournaments? I'm actually expecting Min Min to be low tier, possibly even bottom 10 if her worst comes to worst on her weaknesses. Her kicks look to have good frame data and she's got more options than most thanks to the ARMS system, but lacking anti-airs in a game where 90-95% of the cast wants to approach with an aerial is going to put most of your match-ups in the toilet.
We might be underestimating her "anti-air game" a little bit. While she doesn't seem to have a lot of GROUNDED anti-air options, consider the fact that her jump is reasonably high and when combined with her horizontal reach, she could very well snipe opponents out of the air before they even reach her air space. Also, the ram ram is pretty quick and has an almost AOE type hitbox that could potentially shut down short hop approaches. She also seems to be able to escape with up B and dive kick back down similar to G&W and Sonic which could make her annoyingly hard to catch regardless. I think she's a character with a skill ceiling much higher than Krool's. It's a little early to know for sure, but I'll have to get my hands on her before I call her bottom tier.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I had noticed this earlier thanks to a tweet joking about Todd.

I still have my doubts, but it could evolve to a trend of some kind. The fact that this isn't openly acknowledged, however, does make it open to coincidence.
Sakurai taught us how to count in Binary during Byleth's presentation, now he's teaching us numerology with Fighter Pass Vol. 2.
Sakurai confirmed best dad.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just realized, Vault Boy chucks out the idea that the premium costumes are only for indies. Not really sure how that makes me feel.

Firox

Smash Master
Sakurai taught us how to count in Binary during Byleth's presentation, now he's teaching us numerology with Fighter Pass Vol. 2.
Sakurai confirmed best dad.
Zealous Fan: "Sakurai, you're the best dad ever!"

Sakurai: "I have a son?!"

(Sakurai's wife shoots him a death glare)

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Interesting how they are all western though.
Yeah, forgive me for sounding like an ass but it does feel like Nintendo really doesn't want to put many Western characters in Smash as fighters but don't want to just ignore the requests. It gets a little annoying.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, forgive me for sounding like an ass but it does feel like Nintendo really doesn't want to put many Western characters in Smash as fighters but don't want to just ignore the requests. It gets a little annoying.
I mean, its not like they are big named requests, right? The ones who were likely not to make it in the first place, but got something extra. And that is before you account how well certain characters would fit Mii costumes, as it seems they are going for characters that would work well with mascot-like suits.

Edit:
When I say big named, I mean as serious forces that would get in in this game over the others they have planned. They definitely have fans, but the timing was off for now.

Last edited:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
Just realized, Vault Boy chucks out the idea that the premium costumes are only for indies. Not really sure how that makes me feel.
Should we consider Vault Boy a "premium" Mii costume? I mean, he didn't come with a song. But he had his own unique trailer so... yeah that sounds worrying. However let's remember that this isn't considered a "premium" Mii costume either:

861.jpg

axel_

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, Vault Boy doesn't have a track. So we may need to come together and redefine what counts as a "premium" Mii Costume.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm really late to the party here but that Direct had me worried there when Vault Boy was announced due to the Mario icon. I am now more convinced than ever that Geno will be the next fighter announced. Everything is lining up very well for it!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
alright so

considering some of today's events, i honestly think cacomallow is dead

HOWEVER, please remember: geno's chances don't solely hinge on cacomallow.

stay strong, you guys. i personally don't care for geno but i'm rooting for y'all to get your dude.
I totally agree with you on Cacomallow. Thanks for being a swell person and rooting for a character you have no attachment to. Out of curiosity, who are your most wanted characters?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Should we consider Vault Boy a "premium" Mii costume? I mean, he didn't come with a song. But he had his own unique trailer so... yeah that sounds worrying. However let's remember that this isn't considered a "premium" Mii costume either:

View attachment 275776
I personally do, Fallout music isn't really fit to be a part of Smash considering that most of the recognizable tracks are licensed. The Mii costume/presentation clearly had more "effort" put into it compared to other Mii costumes (much like Cuphead/Sans), and it seems like they were going for the same sort of reaction as those other 2 as well (with it being the final reveal with some sort of buildup).

So while it technically did not cover the same ground as Sans/Cuphead, it's pretty clear that the spirit was still there. I really don't think being indie matters in becoming a "premium" mii costume.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I totally agree with you on Cacomallow. Thanks for being a swell person and rooting for a character you have no attachment to. Out of curiosity, who are your most wanted characters?
i have lots but the two main characters i'm focusing all my energy into supporting at the moment are phoenix wright and sol badguy. the rest is either in a tough spot (through ats or spirits), don't have the best shot or are outright pipedreams.

buuuuuuut this is the geno thread so you guys carry on

TriggerX

Smash Ace
The thing is, Vault Boy doesn't have a track. So we may need to come together and redefine what counts as a "premium" Mii Costume.
This is true.
I don’t recall if the assassins creed costume had a trailer like the obvious premiums

Although considering Geno would be coming from Square, and if you believe square is stingy, he may be less likely to come with any tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom