• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The idea of a mostly first-party pass is...eh? Like, in terms of Nintendo picking it anyway. I cannot see a timeline where Nintendo is picking mostly first parties and it's anything but heavily shilly/at the very least relevancy focused. Nintendo isn't going to add Isaac, or Andy, or Saki, or Ray, or any Nintendo franchise that isn't currently on-going, what does that even leave us with? Bandana Dee? Another Pokemon? I'm cool with Rex, but otherwise? Bleh, atleast for me.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Well, there was another account, I forgot to say, perhaps, which seems to be gone by now. Still, by what you are saying, would that be a good thing for those dates possibly being real or the opposite. Sorry if I misunderstood.
? I'm sorry but I'm a little confused. If this is about Imran, he isn't really talking about any dates. If it's about the other twitter account, then I can say that they've been a pretty mixed bag. I know that they said we'll get something last week and when we got the Paper Mario Trailer, they said that's not what they meant.

The dates on that twitter account may be real; or the user got pretty lucky. They're not anyone I would call super credible though, and we can't really be sure if the July dates are real until time comes at this point.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think what Mr. Khan is saying is that having a mix of first and third party DLC is a smart move because first party characters are easier to get, reliable staples, and promote Nintendo the most. I don't think he's talking literally. For example, I'd be really surprised if we wound up with another full pack dedicated to a purely first party franchise. Do I think more first party content is coming? Oh yes. Another themed pack? I reeeeeeeally doubt it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
? I'm sorry but I'm a little confused. If this is about Imran, he isn't really talking about any dates. If it's about the other twitter account, then I can say that they've been a pretty mixed bag. I know that they said we'll get something last week and when we got the Paper Mario Trailer, they said that's not what they meant.

The dates on that twitter account may be real; or the user got pretty lucky. They're not anyone I would call super credible though, and we can't really be sure if the July dates are real until time comes at this point.
Sorry for not clarifying. I kinda meant both, with more emphasis on the female's Twitter, of course. Actually, scratch that, I mean the female's Twitter.

Of course, if the user got lucky before, I probably should not be holding my breath.

D

Deleted member

I feel positive after Arms we are getting at least one promotion.

Either Geno, Rayman, Waluigi, Shantae or any other. But a promotion is happening.

For the most part I feel positive about Geno, although Rayman may have some stuff going for him too.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel positive after Arms we are getting at least one promotion.

Either Geno, Rayman, Waluigi, Shantae or any other. But a promotion is happening.

For the most part I feel positive about Geno, although Rayman may have some stuff going for him too.
Don't forget Crash. I mean, he has a new game being made.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget Crash. I mean, he has a new game being made.
Wouldn't count on Crash just based on that new Game as he has other big stuff going on his favour.

That said, I was talking about promotions and Crash obviously wouldn't be one as he isn't a Spirit or assist trophy.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I checked her account, there is no tweet on her account before June 7th. I think the dates tweet was on a deleted account, as suggested by the wording of this tweet.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I don't think the dates tweet is photoshopped, because it's such a random, tiny account with barely any followerbase to make a fake post for.

Primarily first party feels like such a gray timeline. There's really nothing exciting or disappointing about it, after just how extensive the first pass's quality picks were. Having primarily first parties feels like a big step down, especially with how "bottom of the barrel" some picks like a Shillmon and Paper Mario are. If we wanna talk about making some interesting first party picks that are fan favorites I think people are sleeping on Professor Layton.
I definitely agree with Geno, Rayman and Rex, Buuuuuut

- There's been so much going on with Crash that I feel like he's inevitable.
- We still don't know what the ground rules for upgrades are. Maybe Spirits are the extent of it, so we may not get picks like Isaac or some other assist trophy.
For reference, I saw the original tweet when it was first posted. It was mentioned quite a bit over on Resetera at the time in the Nintendo Direct Spec thread IIRC after the Paper Mario info came and it was on the first mentioned date. So it does exist, or did.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wouldn't count on Crash just based on that new Game as he has other big stuff going on his favour.

That said, I was talking about promotions and Crash obviously wouldn't be one as he isn't a Spirit or assist trophy.
Oops! Yeah, I somehow forgot about that.

DuoStuff

Smash Rookie
Probably because to the outsider he expresses zero emotion and has a constant "determined anger" expression. Keep in mind that if someone hasn't played Super Mario RPG, all they have to go off of for Geno's character is his artwork, which is pretty stiff for lack of a better term.
Oh I get he's stiff because-
Because he's a

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Having primarily first parties feels like a big step down, especially with how "bottom of the barrel" some picks like a Shillmon and Paper Mario are. If we wanna talk about making some interesting first party picks that are fan favorites I think people are sleeping on Professor Layton
Professor Layton isn't first party. He's heavily associated with Nintendo consoles, sure, but he's technically third party and owned by Level 5.

cool6012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cool6012
3DS FC
5455-9651-7560
I Having primarily first parties feels like a big step down, especially with how "bottom of the barrel" some picks like a Shillmon and Paper Mario are.

I'm sorry but its impossible to take you seriously if you're gonna use terms like "shillmon". I think it's pretty ridiculous to refer to a character in a fighting game like that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, I wish I could personally grab people through their screens and shake them because Mr. Khan is also saying something what I was saying last year when people were telling me that additional DLC after the Fighter's Pass was way too optimistic: never underestimate Nintendo's capacity to surprise. The company practically lives and dies off its ability to blindside us, especially with Smash. In March 2018, would you reeeeeeeally expected most of the characters we've gotten? Would you have expected multiple seasons of DLC? Would you have expected Undertale and Cuphead in Smash? Again, two years later and we're just getting started and I don't think it's wise to think Nintendo is all out of curve balls for this game.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Also, I wish I could personally grab people through their screens and shake them because Mr. Khan is also saying something what I was saying last year when people were telling me that additional DLC after the Fighter's Pass was way too optimistic: never underestimate Nintendo's capacity to surprise. The company practically lives and dies off its ability to blindside us, especially with Smash. In March 2018, would you reeeeeeeally expected most of the characters we've gotten? Would you have expected multiple seasons of DLC? Would you have expected Undertale and Cuphead in Smash? Again, two years later and we're just getting started and I don't think it's wise to think Nintendo is all out of curve balls for this game.
I can't say that I would've expected what they dropped.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I will say I'll be a bit miffed if they don't choose the ARMS character that won a literal popularity contest. Would be super tone deaf

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
View attachment 275454
Imran's thoughts on how this Fighter's Pass will go.

He pretty much states that he thinks that this pass will primarily be a first party dominated one, with maybe 1-2 third party characters. It's much easier to get 1st party characters and keep them around for future titles, not to mention advertising Nintendo properties increases value for those properties.

I don't think he's trying to leak anything here, but I do think that Imran knows a lot about the background of Smash DLC. Maybe this conclusion is supported by what he's hearing? He did know that FP 2 was greenlit around E3 2019, and that Terry's remixes were going to be amazing from what he'd heard back in September.

I'm already of the belief that getting ARMS first meant that this pass would likely have multiple 1st party characters, I was leaning towards 3-4 and Imran's words make me more confident in that. As for my guess, it'll end up being ARMS, Rex, Geno, Isaac, Rayman, and a Toxtricity/Urshifu. I don't expect we'll get both Geno and Waluigi, 2 Mario reps in the exact same pass make little sense. I feel pretty confident on Rex. Isaac, and a Pokemon make a lot of sense in terms of 1st party characters, but I'm not super confident in them. Geno and Rayman feel like pretty likely 3rd parties (but I could see neither of them making it in, there are others like Bandai Namco for example that make a lot of sense).
I kinda hope this is the direction of this Pass. Even if the Nintendo characters may not end up to my liking, at least it's good to see Nintendo remember "oh yeah, we have our own characters!"

Ngl, this makes me feel better about the potential direction of this pass. Seems like his comments from a few months back were just speculation.
I agree. I know we are probably on the unpopular opinion now. I do have some third parties that i want to see like Crash, Ryu Hayabusa and recently Sophia the 3rd, but i would lie if i said that the heavy focus on third parties las pass left a sour taste on my mouth (and this is coming whose most wanted was Simon)

I just kinda want to see a Nintendo newcomer again because guest after guest after guest becomes boring as hell to me. They should be used saprringly, not be the major focus. and yes i know a lot of Nintendo newcomers will get the "bOttoM of THE BAreLl" insult thrown at their way, but i could say the same regarding future third parties. And if im honest when it comes to "1st parties that i don't want" or "3rd parties that i don't want", i gladly would go for the former and have Paper Mario, 8Mon and Elma over Saber, Master Chief and Phoenix Wright.

Keep in mind this doesn't apply to Geno. I see him as a Nintendo character in Spirit (heh) just like Banjo.

- There's been so much going on with Crash that I feel like he's inevitable.
People said the same about Shaodw. Echoes beign confirmed, Third Party echoes beign confirmed, Echoes having the choice of having different animations and certain unique moves, his Missing At.......

and it all meant nothing in the end. I wouldn't hold my breath for Crash, even if i see him as a plausible choice.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Also, I wish I could personally grab people through their screens and shake them because Mr. Khan is also saying something that I was saying last year when people were telling me that additional DLC after the Fighter's Pass was way too optimistic: never underestimate Nintendo's capacity to surprise. The company practically lives and dies off its ability to blindside us, especially with Smash. In March 2018, would you reeeeeeeally expected most of the characters we've gotten? Would you have expected multiple seasons of DLC? Would you have expected Undertale and Cuphead in Smash? Again, two years later and we're just started and I don't think it's wise to think Nintendo is all out of curve balls for this game.
Hey tons of people said the exact same thing to me when I said that they aren't going to stop at the end of FP 1. I got to enjoy internet Smug points for a while.

...And then I realized that my favorites probably aren't getting in anyways :4pacman:. I got my edgy teenage thief so I'm happy though.

I don't really know what they can even do nowadays to surprise us. If Geno got in I know I would be happy, but not really super surprised. I guess the last two characters that could really surprise me are Sora and Saber. Neither are my most wanted, but I can't say I wouldn't be surprised. Especially if Sora gets full blown Disney content (Danald and Gooby), and Sakurai talks about how Saber is technically super NSFW in a lot of ways. Now that would be surprising.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
I kinda hope this is the direction of this Pass. Even if the Nintendo characters may not end up to my liking, at least it's good to see Nintendo remember "oh yeah, we have our own characters!"

I agree. I know we are probably on the unpopular opinion now. I do have some third parties that i want to see like Crash, Ryu Hayabusa and recently Sophia the 3rd, but i would lie if i said that the heavy focus on third parties las pass left a sour taste on my mouth (and this is coming whose most wanted was Simon)

I just kinda want to see a Nintendo newcomer again because guest after guest after guest becomes boring as hell to me. They should be used saprringly, not be the major focus. and yes i know a lot of Nintendo newcomers will get the "bOttoM of THE BAreLl" insult thrown at their way, but i could say the same regarding future third parties. And if im honest when it comes to "1st parties that i don't want" or "3rd parties that i don't want", i gladly would go for the former and have Paper Mario, 8Mon and Elma over Saber, Master Chief and Phoenix Wright.

Keep in mind this doesn't apply to Geno. I see him as a Nintendo character in Spirit (heh) just like Banjo.
Umm, thats not what I meant. I have been one of the biggest advocates for 3rd parties on this entire board. (Dating back to another account a while back)

Imran made coy comments months ago that heavily implied a 1st party heavy pass. With his recent statements however, it seems that was all speculation.

And btw, Saber, Phoenix, and Master Chief are among my MWs. Would take them in a heartbeat over Elma and Paper Mario.

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Heck back in 2018 I didn't expect Snake to return at all and 2019 I didn't expect Banjo & Kazooie to be in either.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Since we're on the topic of Spirit promotions, the most likely Spirit characters that I think have a good chance of getting upgraded is Geno obviously, Rayman and Rex. Of course, this is just my opinion.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I will say I'll be a bit miffed if they don't choose the ARMS character that won a literal popularity contest. Would be super tone deaf
The party crash bash was a tournament thing involving skill, not a popularity vote I don’t think. Spring Man and others are also popular.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Be honest, did anyone expect the Geno thread would get this far a year ago?
I mean, not really- this time last year we'd been Hero'd and most of us were pretty solemn. It was only in late July that the Hero presentation was released and we clocked that Geno still has a chance further down the line, and Geno fans do what Geno fans do best- keep on trucking.

What I wonder is if the oldest supporters here like Fatman or KCCHIEFS ever considered years ago that the side character in one of their favourite SNES games, who they've pushed for over a decade and then some, who has been punked for years and who has been snubbed for years would end up becoming popular enough to beat out big names like Kingdom Hearts, Doom, Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney in a popularity poll (and only come second to Crash f*cking Bandicoot) and be viewed as a legitimate pick for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. What a ride for them it must be.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Now I'm imagining the intro being a short segment of Sakurai waking up, brusing his teeth, eatin' his brekkie, before finally sitting down to present the ARMS Fighter.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Sakurai’s cat confirms Geno for us.
OMG haha.
Sakurai: Oh and what's this? Say hello to my cat! Oh it looks like they have something in their mouth. Let's see what it is.
Geno doll in the cats mouth

Sakurai: huh that's weird....

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The party crash bash was a tournament thing involving skill, not a popularity vote I don’t think. Spring Man and others are also popular.
It basically worked like Splatfests so it was a combination of both.

https://armswiki.org/wiki/Party_Crash_Bash

Something else important to note is that overall it ran for close to 8 months and ultimately Min Min won.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Arms Presentation Check List:
-Sakurai makes several memeable lines
-Someone here dies of a heart attack during the Mii Costume showcase
-Sakurai jokes about how much longer he has to work on this game
-Sakurai says something that's good news for Geno but it's toted around as bad news for Geno because of course it is
-Sakurai fills up half the time being the charismatic rock star he truly is
-Sakurai's got a nice living room

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Something else important to note is that overall it ran for close to 8 months and ultimately Min Min won.
Tbh they aren't entirely wrong. If it was both, considering ARMS is a fighting game, quite a lot of the, let's say 'entries', may not really be based on popularity but rather the skill level so it wouldn't really be much of a reliable source to pull from

Droodle

Smash Lord

In a fighting game, it's a mixture of both really. Splatfests generally had a silly "theme" to go along with them, and skill was definitely important as loadout + skills matter a lot. However, something like the Party Crash Bash is based around character fighting each other, and in something like a fighting game, certain characters a flat out better then others. Min-Min happens to be super freaking good, while also being pretty simple to use as well so naturally she has an advantage compared to some weaker/harder to use characters.

That's not to say that she isn't super popular or anything, just that being a generally good character in a fighting game helps her out.

Arms Presentation Check List:
-Sakurai makes several memeable lines
-Someone here dies of a heart attack during the Mii Costume showcase
-Sakurai jokes about how much longer he has to work on this game
-Sakurai says something that's good news for Geno but it's toted around as bad news for Geno because of course it is
-Sakurai fills up half the time being the charismatic rock star he truly is
-Sakurai's got a nice living room
- People swear that they see a reference to a popular character in the background, and then argue that character is pretty much confirmed.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Alright then. Doesn’t seem fully reliable for popularity, though, however I know Min Min is very popular. Just Spring Man appears to be popular as well from what I’ve read, despite his robo-clone beating him in this.

I like Min Min, though, so it’d be cool if it’s her. I just like Spring Man as well and want him more personally, would also feel kinda weird if he’s not the fighter imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom