• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I literally believe Geno and Crash are in. I know I said this before, but after seeing this poll I believe in them both without question now.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Well, obviously, yeah. He's my most wanted too.
But stepping out of the bounds of the admitted echo chamber that is this thread, he's got a lot of detractors. He is essentially the punching bag request on virtually all other boards and social media platforms that I've seen.
I guess it's just that for every vocal hater he has, he has a couple fans. Which I'll take
Yeah, the hate has been turned up a LOT lately, and that’s because he seems more likely than ever to get in, which makes fans of other characters more butthurt that he exists

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Just finished watching Source Gaming's new Top 50 from the Mega Smash Poll and I gotta say, the top 6 characters... lads; if that were the Fighters Pass Vol. 2, what a Pass it would be.

Crash, Geno, Doom Slayer, Sora, Dante, and Rayman. My guys, this would be THE Pass. :eek:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just finished watching Source Gaming's new Top 50 from the Mega Smash Poll and I gotta say, the top 6 characters... lads; if that were the Fighters Pass Vol. 2, what a Pass it would be.

Crash, Geno, Doom Slayer, Sora, Dante, and Rayman. My guys, this would be THE Pass. :eek:
It looks like Fatman got his predictions spot on here on who really is popular and who is probably going to all make it in Season Pass 2. I hope he isn't wrong though. Cheers to Fatman!

Droodle

Smash Lord
I literally believe Geno and Crash are in. I know I said this before, but after seeing this poll I believe in them both without question now.
While it is great that both Geno and Crash did so well on the poll, doing well on a non-official poll has no real effect on who's going to get into DLC, especially now. Banjo was the only top 10 character to make it in the first round. The next was Erdrick/Hero at 34th, Byleth at 92nd, and Terry at 100th.

On another note, what if we don't get certain costumes to return at all. I don't mean this in regards to Geno, I fully believe he'll return or become playable or both. But let's say Geno returns as a playable character, without bringing back his mii costume. That'll leave us with exactly 6 of the 3rd party mii costumes. that have yet to return. So far the average for a wave has been 5 costumes +/- 1; so 6 costumes is enough to fill out a "wave". While the chance is "low", it is technically possible for them to bring back all the 3rd party mii costumes along with another character as long as 1 costume doesn't make it's return. Obviously, if a character is playable; then it's possible for them not to come back as a costume, but there is a certain costume that could be cut entirely which would yield the same possibility.

That costume is the Hunter's Mail from MH as the Rathalos Mail already covers Monster Hunter pretty well, being the armor for the official mascot. The Hunter's Mail is remembered just for being a starting armor set, not to mention that it fit in Smash 4 because it was based around the appearance of the armor set in MH4U which was the latest release at the time. However, the appearance was changed from 4U to World; meaning that its kinda outdated unless they give it a design overhaul in Smash

So what I'm saying is that while the chances are low, it's possible that Nintendo goes on a massive deconfirmation spree by making a costume pack dedicated to the older costumes from 4 returning. That could be a potential "theme" of the mii costumes. And judging by how the last two "Nintendo associated" characters went, I'm going to be really interested in how the Mii costumes of ARMS plays out. Obviously, it could just be ARMS costumes, but we could see many highly speculated costumes making a return in one go.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
1592496465700.png

>Geno gets second only behind Crash
>even managed to beat Sora

How do we keep winning bros??

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Geno got second , only behind mother****ing Cash Banooca.

If anybody tell me nobody in the smash fanbase want Geno , I don't know what to say lol.
While this poll is not a proof of Geno getting in , it simply make me happy.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Good to see you again, and glad to hear you're doing better than when you left. I don't think you're alone in quitting Smash speculation, especially if Geno gets revealed- he's the last guy for a lot of people in here.
Well I'm still trying to push for my boy Wright so I'll be holding out till a capcom rep is revealed. But I've basically accepted that I really don't mind who gets added anymore like I used to.

Heck I was reminded that an ARMS character was even announced by the upcoming presentation. That's how locked away I've been from any sort of smash news in months lmao

Are you kidding me?! Who would forget about you. You have posted a lot of memorable memes in here plus you had a mafia Winnie the Poo avatar which is bad***.
Oh gosh I don't even know if I have access to any of those Pooh avatars anymore. And glad I'm still known for my memes lol! I moved computers and a hard drive failed. But I think I'm super happy with having Spinel right now!

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Well, obviously, yeah. He's my most wanted too.
But stepping out of the bounds of the admitted echo chamber that is this thread, he's got a lot of detractors. He is essentially the punching bag request on virtually all other boards and social media platforms that I've seen.
I guess it's just that for every vocal hater he has, he has a couple fans. Which I'll take
Unpopular characters don't have detractors. There's no anti-Cooking Mama squad, for example

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Totally agree with xpnc xpnc on that. You don't have detractors for Peter Pepper or anything like that. The more popular the request, especially for a long time, there are always haters that hate popular or liked things. Obscured or not.

Also, to highlight on the Crash stuff. I would love Crash in Smash simply for how poetic it is. Crash chouldn't make it for Playstation All-Stars, but he could with Smash. Oh man ... it would be so great.

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
> geno, an "irrelevant" one-off character from a 1996 spin-off game is right behind crash and above notable characters like sora, master chief, waluigi and the ****ing doomslayer

"b-but... people are just bandwagoning ! anyway, ****ty irrelevant mage pinocchio will never get in ! why ? uhm... b-because i said so !"

(i hope someone prepared a compilation video of geno's detractors and is ready to release it in the near future)​

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
who the heck cares if your geno got ahead of sora, the fact he is 5th is enough proof to me that people love and want him. Happy that yall are 2nd but Im pretty happy sora is 5th as well. Lets Both celebrate

Last edited:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
Well, I just finished counting how many votes this poll got and without further ado this poll got:

20200620_204712.jpg

23.943 VOTES!!!

To be honest, I expected Geno to be top 8 or top 11 or something like that but wow, the second most requested character and with 926 votes for him. Anyways, here are some other "interesting" votes:

20200620_204805.jpg
20200620_204729.jpg
20200620_204745.jpg

You know, Geno & Mallow as a dual fighter like Zelda & Sheik in Brawl would be interesting...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I've considered the ARMS' presentation might still have an announcement at the end for an announcement in the future because, like we've talked about here, we now have really strong evidence that E3 was going to have at least two Smash reveals. The question is now, when will those reveals be? Things to consider:

-No DLC characters have been truly shadowdropped. Both Byleth and ARMS were still part of full presentations.

-Every single DLC character reveal had been part of a presentation or event. Nobody has ever been totally dropped out of the blue so don't expect to wake up one day to find that Kusco from the Emperor's New Groove was randomly dropped on Twitter.

-Thanks to the Polish Amiibo leak, we know another character is coming in September, meaning they either have to be announced during the Fall Direct or before.

-So far the only time a DLC character has been announced and released in the same month is E3 2015 and it was via a special Smash presentation, not the General Direct.

-This means that 7, at the very least, would have to be announced in a stand alone presentation because it's clear they were supposed to happen at E3.

-This heavily detracts from a stand alone presentation like Byleth or ARMS because, unlike them, they were revealed with their entire packs and they likely weren't planned to be revealed with anyone else. 7 clearly was.

-Based on this, suggests a presentation in early or late July or early August as not to be too close to the Fall Direct while also working around Obon.

-May not be August because the August Smash Direct was attached to an announcement at EVO and was for the base game and no DLC announcements have been made in August so far, including Smash 4:

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Downloadable_content_(SSB4)

This all said, we could be looking at a standalone Smash presentation either in early July or late July.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, I've considered the ARMS' presentation might still have an announcement at the end for an announcement in the future because, like we've talked about here, we now have really strong evidence that E3 was going to have at least two Smash reveals. The question is now, when will those reveals be? Things to consider:

-No DLC characters have been truly shadowdropped. Both Byleth and ARMS were still part of full presentations.

-Every single DLC character reveal had been part of a presentation or event. Nobody has ever been totally dropped out of the blue so don't expect to wake up one day to find that Kusco from the Emperor's New Groove was randomly dropped on Twitter.

-Thanks to the Polish Amiibo leak, we know another character is coming in September, meaning they either have to be announced during the Fall Direct or before.

-So far the only time a DLC character has been announced and released in the same month is E3 2015 and it was via a special Smash presentation, not the General Direct.

-This means that 7, at the very least, would have to be announced in a stand alone presentation because it's clear they were supposed to happen at E3.

-This heavily detracts from a stand alone presentation like Byleth or ARMS because, unlike them, they were revealed with their entire packs and they likely weren't planned to be revealed with anyone else. 7 clearly was.

-Based on this, suggests a presentation in early or late July or early August as not to be too close to the Fall Direct while also working around Obon.

-May not be August because the August Smash Direct was attached to an announcement at EVO and was for the base game and no DLC announcements have been made in August so far, including Smash 4:

This all said, we could be looking at a standalone Smash presentation either in early July or late July.
I don't see us getting any kind of standalone presentation because, atleast for Smash Ultimate, for all Packs so far, and presumably the ARMS rep, their presentations have all coincided with their release and gone full depth into their movesets. I don't see them holding a presentation for Fighter 7 in July and then say "they're out in September btw", and I also don't see them just dropping a trailer Robin/Lucina style. The way I see it they get dropped as part of a bigger presentation, but Nintendo still doesn't seem to have anything planned, unless things magically change next month. It's a really weird scenario and it still begs the question why the hell they don't just show us 7 now.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

I hope so. I really do hope this turns out to be right

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't see us getting any kind of standalone presentation because, atleast for Smash Ultimate, for all Packs so far, and presumably the ARMS rep, their presentations have all coincided with their release and gone full depth into their movesets. I don't see them holding a presentation for Fighter 7 in July and then say "they're out in September btw", and I also don't see them just dropping a trailer Robin/Lucina style. The way I see it they get dropped as part of a bigger presentation, but Nintendo still doesn't seem to have anything planned, unless things magically change next month. It's a really weird scenario and it still begs the question why the hell they don't just show us 7 now.
But that's also what I'm saying. 7 ISN'T likely to have a stand alone presentation for their announcement... If we're getting a Smash presentation, it will likely announce multiple characters. We saw this two times in Smash 4's DLC where standalone Smash presentations announced at least two characters: Roy and Ryu and Corrin and Byleth. Further extended from that, the standalone Smash presentations for Ultimate's base game all had multiple characters too: the August one had 5 and the November one had 3.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
But that's also what I'm saying. 7 ISN'T likely to have a stand alone presentation for their announcement... If we're getting a Smash presentation, it will likely announce multiple characters. We saw this two times in Smash 4's DLC where standalone Smash presentations announced at least two characters: Roy and Ryu and Corrin and Byleth. Further extended from that, the standalone Smash presentations for Ultimate's base game all had multiple characters too: the August one had 5 and the November one had 3.
But heres the thing, again, both of those DLC presentations also featured shadowdrops, Lucas/Roy/Ryu in the first, and Cloud in the second. And the two they didn't drop, Corrin and Bayonetta, were dropped together in February. We've already established the next character is likely releasing in September, and given that every Ultimate DLC character has been dropped alongside or very shortly after their presentation I don't see them having a Smash centric presentation in July where they reveal 7, say they're out in September, and then also drop 8 and just say "Fall" or something.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
There’s this girl on Twitter that’s stated 4 dates and 2 of them had announcements on them.

The first announcement was paper mario and the next announcement date was the arms presentation announcement. There’s still 2 more so I wonder what that’s gonna be for. It’s got to be something big. I saw it through papagenos as he commented on it and the girl commented back on the post and said this week was gonna be huge and fun. Apparently she’s a leaker and not some person who got lucky.

the dates she put were

6/12 (Paper mario trailer drop)
6/19 (arms presentation announcement)
7/6 ???
7/14 ???

Firox

Smash Master
Whew, man, it was a hard morning of ass-kicking. Finished the Region 2 Open tournament ranked 76th out of 1339 players. Not too shabby.

EDIT: Whoops, actually it's out of 556. 1339 were registered but must have dropped out.

Last edited:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice

But that's also what I'm saying. 7 ISN'T likely to have a stand alone presentation for their announcement...
Wait what? I'm confused now, what are you suggesting exactly? 7 and 8 being announced in a Smash Direct? Both of them being announced in a general Direct in September? 7 being announced in a mini Direct?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There’s this girl on Twitter that’s stated 4 dates and 2 of them had announcements on them.

The first announcement was paper mario and the next announcement date was the arms presentation announcement. There’s still 2 more so I wonder what that’s gonna be for. It’s got to be something big. I saw it through papagenos as he commented on it and the girl commented back on the post and said this week was gonna be huge and fun. Apparently she’s a leaker and not some person who got lucky.

the dates she put were

7/6 ???
7/14 ???
I think we already saw that, but I am interested to see what happens by those two dates.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But heres the thing, again, both of those DLC presentations also featured shadowdrops, Lucas/Roy/Ryu in the first, and Cloud in the second. And the two they didn't drop, Corrin and Bayonetta, were dropped together in February. We've already established the next character is likely releasing in September, and given that every Ultimate DLC character has been dropped alongside or very shortly after their presentation I don't see them having a Smash centric presentation in July where they reveal 7, say they're out in September, and then also drop 8 and just say "Fall" or something.
But that's basically what they would have done at E3 anyways. Remember, Hero was "summer" and Banjo was "fall." Same principle but later date.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

the dates she put were

7/6 ???
7/14 ???
We've talked about this already, those could have been twitter edit tricks and even then it's just some random dates. Isn't this the same chick who said we were getting BOTW 2 info at the start of the month or something?
But that's basically what they would have done at E3 anyways. Remember, Hero was "summer" and Banjo was "fall." Same principle but later date.
And they were both revealed as part of a BIGGER presentation. I don't see them just holding a 6 minute livestream where they just show two Smash trailers and then leave.

Anyway, I've sort of been thinking, based on what people have said Super Mario Bros 35th anniversary was/is going to be a big focus for Nintendo this year, makes sense, they always celebrate 5 year marks for Mario and Zelda, christ Zelda didn't even have a GAME in 2016 and they still did stuff. Big event in April that was canned according to people, the whole Mario Maker update/Paper Mario getting shadowdropped when both could have been part of the mini-direct raise giant eyebrows and point to that being the case, and their main E3 thing this year as well like BOTW, Odyssey, and Smash were in past years (2019 was a mish-mash as they didn't really have one big focus). I mean, theres the upcoming movie, Super Nintendo World is still opening in Japan soonish, the rumored 3D World and other 3D Mario remasters, maybe even Mario Kart 9 according to multiple people, big year, and that's just Mario, not including the Metroid rumors, Pikmin 3, whatever 3DS projects got moved, ect. Yet, here we are at the end of June and nothing is in sight.

Now let me ask you this. Do we REALLY not see Nintendo revealing any of this until September? That all of the titles they still have planned for this year are just not going to be seen for atleast 2 more months? Of course not, that's asinine. Now, do you see them shadowdropping any of this stuff either? Maybe, but not really. Paper Mario is one thing and even then, it got revealed literally two months off from launch. I can't see Nintendo doing that for their entire Holiday line-up. They are clearly capable of holding presentations if Pokemon is holding 2 this month and Smash is also getting one. Peculiarly, they aren't revealing Fighter 7 with the ARMS rep even though they were obviously meant to be at E3. The amiibo releases tell us they're likely releasing in September, so unless they want to do ANOTHER shadowdrop they need to be revealed somewhere else. Pretty much what all of this points to is that I think they almost certainly have some event planned for July/maaaybe August. They have to reveal their big plans for this year eventually and September just feels way too late to start that.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait what? I'm confused now, what are you suggesting exactly? 7 and 8 being announced in a Smash Direct? Both of them being announced in a general Direct in September? 7 being announced in a mini Direct?
I'm suggesting a Smash presentation that reveals (at least) 7 and 8 because they were supposed to be revealed at E3 together. The ARMS presentation being standalone pretty much confirms that it was supposed to be in April but merely pushed back. Why do I not believe that 7 won't wait until September? I'll break it down:

-Nintendo has all but confirmed a September Direct.

-The Amiibo leak shows that there is supposed to be a character release in September.

-This means that the character would have to be announced in the Direct, only to be released a few weeks later. This has never happened before. When characters are announced in a Direct, they have always released at least one month later.

-Byleth was originally supposed to be announced in December and ARMS was originally supposed to release in April after being announced in March. Their respective Amiibo waves support this.

-Because of this, we're likely looking at another Banjo situation where 7's presentation is announced during the September Direct and will be shortly afterwards, if not immediately afterwards.

-This all said, 7 isn't likely to be announced in September and is probably being announced with someone else. Past precedent suggests early or late July.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm suggesting a Smash presentation that reveals (at least) 7 and 8 because they were supposed to be revealed at E3 together. The ARMS presentation being standalone pretty much confirms that it was supposed to be in April but merely pushed back. Why do I not believe that 7 won't wait until September? I'll break it down:

-Nintendo has all but confirmed a September Direct.

-The Amiibo leak shows that there is supposed to be a character release in September.

-This means that the character would have to be announced in the Direct, only to be released a few weeks later. This has never happened before. When characters are announced in a Direct, they have always released at least one month later.

-Byleth was originally supposed to be announced in December and ARMS was originally supposed to release in April after being announced in March. Their respective Amiibo waves support this.

-Because of this, we're likely looking at another Banjo situation where 7's presentation is announced during the September Direct and will be shortly afterwards, if not immediately afterwards.

-This all said, 7 isn't likely to be announced in September and is probably being announced with someone else. Past precedent suggests early or late July.
I get that but I think you're sticking way hard to the whole "Nintendo isn't holding any big presentations until September" thing. I get that past precedent says they don't do big presentations in July or August, but that's because they hold their biggest news dump of the year in June, of course they never reveal stuff for a few months after that, they just blew their load at E3. Now, there's no E3 this year, so unless you expect them to shadowdrop everything coming out this year over the next 2 months like Paper Mario (which I can see for one-two smaller announcements for late August-September releases), they are going to be revealing almost all of their Holiday line-up in September only 1-3 at most months before all of it comes out. You see how weird that sounds? I can't see them holding in all this stuff until then, even for Nintendo it's insane.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I get that but I think your sticking way hard to the whole "Nintendo isn't holding any big presentations until September" thing. I get that past precedent says they don't do big presentations in July or August, but that's because they hold their biggest news dump of the year in June, of course they never reveal stuff for a few months after that, they just blew their load at E3. Now, there's no E3 this year, so unless you expect them to shadowdrop everything coming out this year over the next 2 months like Paper Mario (which I can see for one-two smaller announcements for late August-September releases), they are going to be revealing almost all of their Holiday line-up in September only 1-3 months before all of it comes out. You see how weird that sounds? I can't see them holding in all this stuff until then, even for Nintendo it's insane.
But that's NOT what I'm saying. I don't think Nintendo is going to wait until September for everything. I think we're going to have Nintendo stuff probably in early and late July, including Smash. I totally agree with you; Nintendo holding off everything they would have announced at E3 until September is totally nutters and I don't think they would deliberately set themselves up for that bad of a crunch. That's why I think we're going to see stuff this coming week and July while at the same time navigating around Obon as they have done in the past.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
But that's NOT what I'm saying. I don't think Nintendo is going to wait until September for everything. I think we're going to have Nintendo stuff probably in early and late July, including Smash. I totally agree with you; Nintendo holding off everything they would have announced at E3 until September is totally nutters and I don't think they would deliberately set themselves up for that bad of a crunch. That's why I think we're going to see stuff this coming week and July while at the same time navigating around Obon as they have done in the past.
But you're still expecting the Smash announcements to be in their own dedicated Smash presentation? That just doesn't add up.

DuoStuff

Smash Rookie
So I've had several interactions about Geno getting into Smash, and I've heard the same statement several times. "Oh people just want Geno because he's an edgy cool character."
I uh... I don't know if I missed something on my many replays of Super Mario RPG, but I've never seen Geno as "edgy." Like at all.
I really hope I'm not alone on that one.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So I've had several interactions about Geno getting into Smash, and I've heard the same statement several times. "Oh people just want Geno because he's an edgy cool character."
I uh... I don't know if I missed something on my many replays of Super Mario RPG, but I've never seen Geno as "edgy." Like at all.
Nothing about Geno's dialogue in game came even remotely close to being "edgy"

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Incoming.

I find fan polls like this interesting as it is an interesting capture in time if what the Smash fan base is interested in based on current gaming events. Dante and Doom Slayer jumping up so many spots because of rumors is a funny self perpetuating casuality.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Probably because to the outsider he expresses zero emotion and has a constant "determined anger" expression. Keep in mind that if someone hasn't played Super Mario RPG, all they have to go off of for Geno's character is his artwork, which is pretty stiff for lack of a better term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom