• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
SO ends the the week. I really hope we get something worth while for Smash next week. After so many years ... so many. It is hard, if not impossible, to argue that Geno's chances have never been better ... then we get some of the "Nintendo" realties on things.

Granted, whoever is the ARMS rep does not necessarily affect who else is in the pass ... but a promotion would really set the mood for this next pass. It would be so disappointing, so disappointing, if it was some random not-so-popular character since all the popular ones (or even "main" to stretch this rationale) have been represented as spirits already ... so it would be SO SMART to promote those to make the next wave of DLC speculation entertaining or relevant!

Ok ... time for another Manhattan. It's Friday!

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Yea, ARMs didn't kill hype. Nintendo did that by being so secretive and aloof about the whole thing. 3 months later and still no confirmation as to which character. Hell, even the March reveal treated the character as something minute that they tacked onto the presentation at the last second.

'Annnnd heRE'S ARMS....I...gueSS whooooooooooooooo?'

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Lol, when it comes to DLC, Smash 4 did kinda better to start things off. Smash 4 did Mewtwo, a large fan request of a returning veteran. Ultimate? Piranha Plant.

(Please know Ultimate is fantastic and is truly the “Ultimate” Smash experience. Just looking at it as “first” DLC character wise. We can play Symantecs of it all, but just looking at “literally” was DLC)

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I totally get what you are getting at bro.
Plant was different though and that's actually something I wanted to bring up:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fccgHnBQ0YM

About 30 minutes in, the Fighter's Pass was actually announced before Plant. It (she?) was presented as a precursor to the Fighter's Pass, making note that it was separate. The question I've been asking since March is could they do something for Season 2?

ChameleonTwist

Smash Rookie
SO ends the the week. I really hope we get something worth while for Smash next week. After so many years ... so many. It is hard, if not impossible, to argue that Geno's chances have never been better ... then we get some of the "Nintendo" realties on things.

Granted, whoever is the ARMS rep does not necessarily affect who else is in the pass ... but a promotion would really set the mood for this next pass. It would be so disappointing, so disappointing, if it was some random not-so-popular character since all the popular ones (or even "main" to stretch this rationale) have been represented as spirits already ... so it would be SO SMART to promote those to make the next wave of DLC speculation entertaining or relevant!

Ok ... time for another Manhattan. It's Friday!
Literally just logged in to commend you on the choice for another Manhattan, J JarBear . Cheers!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Would Geno Whirl have the ability to insta-KO like Luigi's jump or Jigglypuff's Rest or?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Plant was different though and that's actually something I wanted to bring up:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fccgHnBQ0YM

About 30 minutes in, the Fighter's Pass was actually announced before Plant. It (she?) was presented as a precursor to the Fighter's Pass, making note that it was separate. The question I've been asking since March is could they do something for Season 2?
It. There was some confusion at first Palutena called it a she, but the tips section directly refers to PP as an it. Just like the general Pokemon too, who don't have official genders. Ironically Pikachu did for like... a couple games, since that was when its design was confirmed as the male one, but then it got a female alt in Ultimate. It was definitely 4 the design was specific, but I think the male design had the unique tail... as soon as Brawl? Or both 4 games still count as a "couple", but eh.

Plant's different. Mewtwo was... kind of the same point in how it was presented. That it was meant to test out DLC in itself, and if it went well, full DLC would be done. Both were bonus characters if you bought the games beforehand and registered the game(s). That's pretty much why they're labeled separately. Though they clearly served their own unique purpose. Plant was not meant to actually make people want DLC, but want the game early to get a free character. Mewtwo was a good way for two players who have each game to get a free character, but as I noted, to see if DLC would be easy to sell. Sakurai is a person who isn't a fan of DLC, so him surveying it makes sense. He had Lucas worked on pretty fast, so it seems he got a massively good response by using Mewtwo alone.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
My only fear about Geno's chances is that I really hope that we aren't over-looking his chances and that the evidence in his favor does mean something. I felt really bummed out when despite the things Geno had going for him during the base roster, he didn't end up making the cut. Geno is pretty likely imo but I seriously hope Nintendo doesn't disappoint and finally brings back our boi.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I made my suggestions in my Geno Moveset Concept a while back.

Definitely not. And it wouldn't matter how tight the window for that OHKO is, competitive players will get that down pat.
Easy fix. Do it at higher percents. No move is instant death. You have to at least take damage, some more than others, to insta with some of those OHKO attacks.

T2by4

Smash Lord
1591909321013.jpg

The longer you make us wait, the stronger we will become, Nintendo. The genogang uprising has begun. You have til the end of this upcoming week to reveal Geno until I silently cry for about an hour or so.

You have been warned.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My only fear about Geno's chances is that I really hope that we aren't over-looking his chances and that the evidence in his favor does mean something. I felt really bummed out when despite the things Geno had going for him during the base roster, he didn't end up making the cut. Geno is pretty likely imo but I seriously hope Nintendo doesn't disappoint and finally brings back our boi.
Some of you haven't been here very long but, back in the Brawl days, I played a similar role in the fanbase. I made a lot of theories and they got a lot of attention, especially after I came back from my trip to Japan in 2006 when I dropped off the Geno Portfolio (Basically a bunch of materials in support of Geno that was put together by me and some other Geno fans). Geno seemed really likely based on everything that was out there and then... It didn't happen. It was honestly crushing. Eight years later, Sakurai would make his statements about Geno in Nintendo World Magazine and, holy ****, my theories had actually been right. Sakurai HAD seriously considered Geno for Brawl but there was some kind of hang up he didn't specify. This is one of the reasons I've been so invested this time because if I was able to correctly deduce that by the limited information I had back then, what all could I figure out with information being easier to access than ever, my research skills from grad school, and confidence that my younger self never really had?

This is why I've been so adamant on Geno for all of Ultimate. My seemingly crazy theories in Brawl wound up being correct, even if it took almost a decade to finally receive confirmation on it. As a fanbase, we've played the long game in the most literal sense. A one time character from a cult classic and it honestly took over a decade for Geno to become a Smash speculation icon that many people now argue that they would be surprised if he DIDN'T get in. In a very literal sense, this has been an almost 15 year project and, based on everything, the finale shouldn't be too far off.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Here is a question I don't hear brought up. If Geno does get in, do you think he will be part of the regular Mario series emblem, or do you think he will have his own series emblem to represent the Mario RPG's?

Personally, I think he will have the regular Mario series emblem, but his victory theme will be different from the other Mario characters, which would be the Mario RPG Victory Theme looped like Cloud and Joker's victory themes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Here is a question I don't hear brought up. If Geno does get in, do you think he will be part of the regular Mario series emblem, or do you think he will have his own series emblem to represent the Mario RPG's?

Personally, I think he will have the regular Mario series emblem, but his victory theme will be different from the other Mario characters, which would be the Mario RPG Victory Theme looped like Cloud and Joker's victory themes.
Regular. He's a regular Mario character at the end of the day.

Yoshi was lucky to get his own emblem when he had his own unique game at the time. So he was outright separated from Mario. Wario got his own symbol denoting WarioWare, a completely separate series from Mario. Not just a spin-off at that point, but a truly different game.

Yeah, his victory theme would be unique to SMRPG, logically. Or I'd hope so.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Some of you haven't been here very long but, back in the Brawl days, I played a similar role in the fanbase. I made a lot of theories and they got a lot of attention, especially after I came back from my trip to Japan in 2006 when I dropped off the Geno Portfolio (Basically a bunch of materials in support of Geno that was put together by me and some other Geno fans). Geno seemed really likely based on everything that was out there and then... It didn't happen. It was honestly crushing. Eight years later, Sakurai would make his statements about Geno in Nintendo World Magazine and, holy ****, my theories had actually been right. Sakurai HAD seriously considered Geno for Brawl but there was some kind of hang up he didn't specify. This is one of the reasons I've been so invested this time because if I was able to correctly deduce that by the limited information I had back then, what all could I figure out with information being easier to access than ever, my research skills from grad school, and confidence that my younger self never really had?

This is why I've been so adamant on Geno for all of Ultimate. My seemingly crazy theories in Brawl wound up being correct, even if it took almost a decade to finally receive confirmation on it. As a fanbase, we've played the long game in the most literal sense. A one time character from a cult classic and it honestly took over a decade for Geno to become a Smash speculation icon that many people now argue that they would be surprised if he DIDN'T get in. In a very literal sense, this is had been an almost 15 year project and, based on everything, the finale shouldn't be too far off.
Oh yeah I know the feeling and I hope its almost his time. Been waiting quite some time for him to join and I will be devastated if he doesn't show up.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

I think that same

TriggerX

Smash Ace

Yoshi and Wario had multiple games under their belt if I’m not mistaken. They were also the main characters.
I would say Luigi would qualify for his own logo

If Geno had his own spin off games then I would say different logo.
Does Waluigi use his W or the Mushroom?

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Yoshi and Wario had multiple games under their belt if I’m not mistaken. They were also the main characters.

Does Waluigi use his the W or the Mushroom?
Waluigi uses the mushroom for his logo. Interestingly enough, however, Waluigi was planned to have the W as his logo in early Smash 4 development.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman

Does Waluigi use his the W or the Mushroom?
Geno and especially waa should both use the mushroom and just give the former a different jingle. Waluigi doesn't even really warrant that much imo, he's never once been in any Wario Games. Also I'm pretty sure if Yoshi was introduced any later than Melee (odd thought) he would just have the mushroom and his own jingle too (although that just doesn't feel right).

EDIT:

Waluigi uses the mushroom for his logo. Interestingly enough, however, Waluigi was planned to have the W as his logo in early Smash 4 development.
Wait what? When did this come up?

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
In one of the Smash 4 Directs where they were showing off assist trophies, can't remember which Direct, shows Waluigi with the Wario symbol. Once the game released, however, he was later changed to having the Mario symbol.
I’ll just briefly step in to say it was the April 2014 Direct. I’m good at remembering small details like that for whatever reason.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Has there ever been an instance of a Direct or anything of the sort being announced on a Sunday, and having it on Monday?

...I'm clearly desperate.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Has there ever been an instance of a Direct or anything of the sort being announced on a Sunday, and having it on Monday?

I don't think so, honestly. You'll probably have to wait for either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday for an announcement.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Arms character isn't a great start if they're trying to communicate that that is gonna be some super fan-pleasing pass. One or two seems reasonable, though.
My hope is that this time around, they went ahead and decided to show the most least exciting character in the Pass first to get it out of the way. May be wishful thinking, but I do wonder if they saw the writing on the wall with Byleth and decided to learn from that this time in FP2. Though it's Nintendo so who knows what they have in mind here

This is why I've been so adamant on Geno for all of Ultimate. My seemingly crazy theories in Brawl wound up being correct, even if it took almost a decade to finally receive confirmation on it. As a fanbase, we've played the long game in the most literal sense. A one time character from a cult classic and it honestly took over a decade for Geno to become a Smash speculation icon that many people now argue that they would be surprised if he DIDN'T get in. In a very literal sense, this has been an almost 15 year project and, based on everything, the finale shouldn't be too far off.
I wasn't around for speculation in the Brawl era so I'm a bit curious, what was the evidence/theories at the time for Geno's inclusion at the time?

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This has always been my mood for the past year and a half and probably will remain that way.

Never get too overconfident.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This has always been my mood for the past year and a half and probably will remain that way.

Never get too overconfident.
Agreed. Getting too overconfident does tend to lead to disappointment. I have a bad feeling though that some people in this topic are being too overconfident about Geno.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
On one hand, I feel guilty of thinking that Nintendo HAS to spill the beans already on what the heck will be in Vol. 2 of the Fighters Pass; gotta take into account the events that have transpired in the real world since early March up till now. Yet on the other hand, gotta say the hold up on the Vol. 2 info is reaching intolerable levels. Sakurai himself when he announced that the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 was being developed said he apologized for offering us yet again another product/good without unveiling its contents.

"That the first challenger pack is a character from ARMS? Yeah, well, who is it?! What do you mean wait? What in the...?" Let's just hope we get the Smash news next Tuesday. By then it'll be the ARMS anniversary so, would seem like a good day for a reveal AND release. If they let that ship pass, it'll be quite annoying. :facepalm:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

The August 5 2018 Smash Direct was announced on Sunday, but it didn't air until three days later on Wednesday. It was also announced at EVO so I'm not sure if that was just a one time thing, but its at least possible Nintendo could do something like that again since they did drop a TOK trailer on a Friday.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Waluigi has never been in a Wario game. It was more than likely an error, not a "plan".

This happens with all kinds of things. For example, when the team behind spirits were finding them, they chose a few that Nintendo owned the names of(like a Blast Corps spirit), but they only owned the Japanese name while not the IP itself. Sakurai did note they did a good job of researching, but they still can make mistakes. It's worth noting this was found in the data, but we never have seen a Blast Corps spirit either.

Eh, I can see the argument, but I respectfully disagree. DK, Yoshi and Wario are one thing, but Luigi is so much more tied to Mario than those three that It'd genuienly feel wrong to me if he were seperated.

Does Waluigi use his W or the Mushroom?
Waluigi uses the Mushroom symbol, but I would actually prefer him with a Wario symbol. He may technically just appear in Mario games, but even in them, he isn't really tied to the rest of the Mario cast and is characterized by doing his own thing and literally being bros with no one but Wario, man is literally his only friend and their whole thing is that they're united by not fitting in with everybody else. It just feels right for him to share space with Wario IMO

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Waluigi uses the Mushroom symbol, but I would actually prefer him with a Wario symbol. He may technically just appear in Mario games, but even in them, he isn't really tied to the rest of the Mario cast and is characterized by doing his own thing and literally being bros with no one but Wario, man is literally his only friend and their whole thing is that they're united by not fitting in with everybody else. It just feels right for him to share space with Wario IMO
I still wonder why Waluigi hasn't appeared in a WarioWare Game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom