• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
Given all this situation, I think my faith and my patience can exteeeend also..

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Iori and Kyo are way more popular than Terry, and yet Terry got in.

Face/Mascot characters always take priority, and that's Spring Man. I'm on team "Multi-Character" with alts like Hero

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
By that logic, why not Twintelle since she's not only female, but also black, and we have a grand total of 0 black fighters since neither Ganondorf nor Mr. G&W count. Just saying, if you're gonna talk about the gender thing, might as well talk about the racial one too.

(plus, she's honestly more rad than Min Min as well, at least I personally think so, considering I mained her)
Sure, definitely. Twintelle’s dope. Only reason I didn’t mention her instead is b/c I hadn’t seen any discussion about her being in the running. I’d love that, it is pretty sad having 0 Black characters.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I’d like this pass to be a bit more diverse since Pass 1 had 4 white males. So my vote/hope is for Min Min or Twintelle.

I also hope this pass further opts to exclude white male swordsmen and instead includes a certain reanimated doll...

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I’d like this pass to be a bit more diverse since Pass 1 had 4 white males. So my vote/hope is for Min Min or Twintelle.

I also hope this pass further opts to exclude white male swordsmen and instead includes a certain reanimated doll...
I also want more variety. Preferable alongside a stretch armstrong wannabe, we get an orange marsupial, a thingamajig with no limbs, a guy in a powersuit with guns, a lanky cheater, a blue knight with a spade, and of course, a possessed doll of the wooden type.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Private videos on Available Now! playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWuBM9nLyEwkdUB5xCSYCJp

And one of them is on New this Week playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDXjI4ZM75o9735edXmVLpd8

And both of them are on Nothing But Nintendo Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDUpBayfo8lcxCXkvTzerwuY

Remember to take this, as a grin of salt, but something to keep an eye on.
INB4 someone points out "They're just old ads that Nintendo has private-ed for some reason."

... seriously, is it just me, or does everyone always jump to that conclusion whenever a private or unlisted video pops up on one of Nintendo's playlists?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I understand that argument. I just don't think Sakurai would do that. I'm probably wrong and i'm okay in admitting if i am. We are talking about a game where there are four fire emblem characters with the same moveset, outside of one up b, and a ton of "clone" characters and ARMS is the one that gets relegated to having every character be alts? For what? just to make the most people happy that their character is in? I just think all these characters can stand on their own, without being bundled together like a consolation prize. (Though i do think that Min Min has the best shot here)
I think the difference is just the DLC factor tbh and the different focus in Ultimate compared to previous Smash titles (everyone is here). I do believe you may be right about what Sakruai would prioritize tho. I guess I'll just have to break out old faithful here...
179029_200w.jpg

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Sure, definitely. Twintelle’s dope. Only reason I didn’t mention her instead is b/c I hadn’t seen any discussion about her being in the running. I’d love that, it is pretty sad having 0 Black characters.
Fair enough, fair enough. I don't think she is coming, but I think the timing couldn't possibly be better given the current situation if she actually was.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
INB4 someone points out "They're just old ads that Nintendo has private-ed for some reason."

... seriously, is it just me, or does everyone always jump to that conclusion whenever a private or unlisted video pops up on one of Nintendo's playlists?
...Because often times it did lead to old ads. Overall, it's being cautious. Pessimistic, but cautious.

That's a lot of videos, and we do see Nintendo of America is back at it, so it's probably new stuff~

cosmicB

Smash Ace
But here's the thing...

-Dark Samus is still a totally different character slot.

-Dark Samus still has different animations than Samus, including taunts and victory screens.

What people are proposing for ARMS ALTS is the same principle that has only been applied to echoes at this point. Again, if they thought there were enough differences between Pit and Dark Pit to make them totally seperate, why would they cram four characters of different heights, body proportions, idle animations, and even fighting styles into one character? This is further supported by how characters like Dark Link and Dark Metaknight are simple ALTs because Dark Pit is more than just a mirror of Pit and Dark Samus is basically the Metroid Prime in a "human" form.
This is all conjecture because at least some of the methodology behind echoes was that they could basically just be alts. That obviously isn't the case for some that play different enough to be in entirely different tiers when you get into competitive play or have different hurtboxes, but it doesn't change the fact that we're betting a lot on something as insignificant as animation tempo, which on its own requires you to ignore alts themselves with visual differences beyond the actual model. Like, you could point to things like bulky mii costumes giving the illusion of altering hurtboxes because of how they change the model. It's the same thing here, though I imagine Sakurai would find a way to keep the characters the same size even if that canoncially doesn't make sense (Ridley anybody?).

Maybe that is the rationale behind it if we don't get a Hero situation, but I just can't see it as anything more than reading too much into things.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Private videos on Available Now! playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWuBM9nLyEwkdUB5xCSYCJp

And one of them is on New this Week playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDXjI4ZM75o9735edXmVLpd8

And both of them are on Nothing But Nintendo Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDUpBayfo8lcxCXkvTzerwuY

Remember to take this, as a grin of salt, but something to keep an eye on.
Something to note is that...
It's not a Podcast..

Nor Nintendo Minute

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Some crash merchandising was just leaked, let remember 2 things:
-The PS5 stream is tomorrow
-There was some Banjo merchandise before he got in
He is looking possible for Either a Smash DLC or a New game
EaMeJ3gU4AEZnjv.jpeg

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
View attachment 274425

GIVE IT UP FER DAY 147 OF HAVIN' NO ****IN' CLUE WHO'S IN SEASON 2! (Tomorrow marks 21 weeks because it's 2020, why wouldn't it at this point?).
I swear to God, if the ARMS reveal turns out to be a car shaped blanket covering the grand prize, I'm going to be a bit miffed at Nintendo making it out like some mystery prize for months.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is all conjecture because at least some of the methodology behind echoes was that they could basically just be alts. That obviously isn't the case for some that play different enough to be in entirely different tiers when you get into competitive play or have different hurtboxes, but it doesn't change the fact that we're betting a lot on something as insignificant as animation tempo, which on its own requires you to ignore alts themselves with visual differences beyond the actual model. Like, you could point to things like bulky mii costumes giving the illusion of altering hurtboxes because of how they change the model. It's the same thing here, though I imagine Sakurai would find a way to keep the characters the same size even if that canoncially doesn't make sense (Ridley anybody?).

Maybe that is the rationale behind it if we don't get a Hero situation, but I just can't see it as anything more than reading too much into things.
They could just be ALTs but they're not is exactly the point. If they made characters like Dark Samus and Ken into echoes based on their unique attributes, why would they make a composite character that's basically several echoes in one? If they simply wanted to do that, they already have had 7 opportunities to do that already but passed it up. Marth and Lucina could have been one character but weren't. Pit and Dark Pit could have been one character but weren't. Sure, you could mash Springman and Ribbongirl into one character but there's no precedent for it and they already passed up the opportunity to do something akin to this many times before. The Koopalings aren't unique from Bowser Jr aside from facial expressions and sound clips. Same with the Heros.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'm thinking the Crash merch is about a new game. Note that all the merch seems to have a certain style to Crash's design AND there's a clear pirate motif to it (N. Gin's logo being a skull & crossbones, a new character paired with Dingodile, anchors, etc). I think we're genuinely getting a new game announced tomorrow. It could correlate to Smash but again, as Fatman had the sign "Not everything points to Smash."
Screenshot_20200610-223501.png

A completely new character with crossbones under their name (thanks to PatPrime PatPrime , it may actually be Tawna)
Screenshot_20200610-223519.png

A bunch of pirate stuff like anchors, cutlasses, sharks, life rings, crossbones, rope, and bombs. The teal and purple things remind me of elemental masks.
Screenshot_20200610-223445.png

Crash's pin has octopus tentacles and a life ring around it.
Screenshot_20200610-223434.png

Cortex has a life ring around his icon and N.Gin is a skull & crossbones.

(Edited to have pictures for closer reference)

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Tbf Sakurai said this is the last of the DLC so bonus echoes or bonuses in general point aren't happening unless plans changed internally which is unlikely as Sakurai even seemed to have thought himself that this would finally be the end of Ultimate. Unless they want to sell them separately (which is also unlikely as these challenger packs are meant to be encompassing a whole series) we are pretty much either getting alts or just a single character. I would vastly prefer just one tbh but the possibility can't be denied

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
We are talking about a game where there are four fire emblem characters with the same moveset, outside of one up b, and a ton of "clone" characters and ARMS is the one that gets relegated to having every character be alts? For what? just to make the most people happy that their character is in?
Well, yes. Exactly. The fact of the matter is that you're right. Each of those ARMS characters COULD stand on their own. The problem is that they only get one slot (no way ARMS is getting two DLC slots in the same pass) so that means you either try to shove as many characters as you realistically can into one or pick one character out of 15 and bone the other 14. Those are our only two options and Sakurai is the one that will decide which one we get. If you prefer one really hyper-accurate/distinct character over 4+ visually distinct characters in one body, then that's your own prerogative. I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind the latter.

Personally, I'd love to see Twintelle. The only reason I'm skeptical about her is the fact that she's technically the only character in ARMS that doesn't have stretchy....well....ARMS. She has stretchy HAIR with regular arms. I feel this would make her body type incompatible with anyone else's, making her very unlikely to have alternate character alts a la Hero. Possible? Definitely. But will Sakurai choose to go that route? Who can say.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Well, yes. Exactly. The fact of the matter is that you're right. Each of those ARMS characters COULD stand on their own. The problem is that they only get one slot (no way ARMS is getting two DLC slots in the same pass) so that means you either try to shove as many characters as you realistically can into one or pick one character out of 15 and bone the other 14. Those are our only two options and Sakurai is the one that will decide which one we get. If you prefer one really hyper-accurate/distinct character over 4+ visually distinct characters in one body, then that's your own prerogative. I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind the latter.
I don't think Ninjara fans are gonna be starting Discord raids just because their character didn't get in. It certainly didn't happen with Kyo fans when he got shafted really hard during Terry's reveal.
ARMS fans are gonna be happy with whoever we get, regardless. People would want to see their favorite fighters get the most love possible. If you try and put all these distinct characters in a soulless husk, then a big aspect of what people liked about them is lost.

"When we try to please everyone. We end up pleasing no one… least of all ourselves."

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don't think Ninjara fans are gonna be starting Discord raids just because their character didn't get in. It certainly didn't happen with Kyo fans when he got shafted really hard during Terry's reveal.
ARMS fans are gonna be happy with whoever we get, regardless. People would want to see their favorite fighters get the most love possible. If you try and put all these distinct characters in a soulless husk, then a big aspect of what people liked about them is lost.

"When we try to please everyone. We end up pleasing no one… least of all ourselves."
Souless? At least they'd play closer to what they're supposed to and be better representation of their fighting capabilities, unlike a certain Koopa Kid and blue rodent.

The Arms character is still going to play like an Arms character, regardless of whether it has alts or not. It doesn't matter if it's a picture perfect carbon copy of those characters when stuff like Sonic and Bowser Jr exist. They're fun to play but at the cost of their moveset.

People said they wanted Shadow as an echo and no one batted an eye but when someone said they wanted the Arms character to have alts, suddenly it was impossible to represent characters as not-carbon-copies.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
We're going to get at least one echo alongside whoever the main ARMs character is, whether that's Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, Spring Man/Min Min, Ribbon Girl/Min Min (or vice-versa for any of them), with possibly up to 3 to allow Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Ninjara to all show up. That's been my prediction for awhile and of all the series that you could do this to, ARMs makes the most sense among the first parties since the base gameplay and moveset is more or less the same, but it's the animations and the gimmicks that change things. I know this is the Geno thread so I won't go at length, but something like Min Min's kicks you absolutely could translate to other characters to flesh out a Smash moveset. Things like RIbbon Girls' extra jump, however, are not easily transferable as they are directly involved in making that character stand out from the rest. And in that case, if say Spring Man was the main and Ribbon Girl the echo, Spring Man would have his rage mechanic and Ribbon Girl's would have the extra jump and maybe be a bit lighter. Otherwise, everything else can say the same, but there are differences between the characters and translating them onto a single character as alts, while absolutely possible, takes away the things that make them unique unless you combine them altogether, which still has the effect of not making them unique in that sense.

Anyways, Geno for Smash!

MattX20

Smash Hero
We'll see if anything is shadowdropped tomorrow. As for me, I need to get to sleep, going back to work for the first time in months in the morning.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking the Crash merch is about a new game. Note that all the merch seems to have a certain style to Crash's design AND there's a clear pirate motif to it (N. Gin's logo being a skull & crossbones, a new character paired with Dingodile, anchors, etc). I think we're genuinely getting a new game announced tomorrow. It could correlate to Smash but again, as Fatman had the sign "Not everything points to Smash."
View attachment 274430
A completely new character with crossbones under their name
View attachment 274431
A bunch of pirate stuff like anchors, cutlasses, sharks, life rings, crossbones, rope, and bombs. The teal and purple things remind me of elemental masks.View attachment 274432
Crash's pin has octopus tentacles and a life ring around it.View attachment 274433
Cortex has a life ring around his icon and N.Gin is a skull & crossbones.

(Edited to have pictures for closer reference)
I think that new character is actually Tawna, just with a very different hairstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom