• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
For the love of god, it's not Waluigi. The majority of people who want Waluigi only do so because of memes and not because they actually like the character. That, and his kicks are not autocombo'd, which puts him at direct odds with the description of the physical attacker for Fighter 6.
Even if it was just memes Nintendo doesn't discriminate based on that. For god's sake, we have a Sans costume and Sakurai has talked about Goku multiple times. Meme picks are just looked at as picks by the company so that only works in Waluigi's favor.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Actually, I just thought of something... Pretty much every reveal trailer has had a first party character front and center, usually Mario, Link, DK or a combination. There's only a few exceptions:

Little Mac: Samus (but Little Mac is first party anyways)

Lucina and Robin: Captain Falcon (Nintendo owns Fire Emblem too so who cares?)

Bayonetta: Pit

Simon/Richter: Luigi

Isabelle: Uh, herself

Ken/Inceniroar: Little Mac but also Villager, K. Rool, and Bowser Jr.

On this scale, Terry's pretty much it in the entirety of Smash history unless you count Nintendo hotdoging it's own consoles at the beginning.
Yep, I expect there will be a character from Nintendo's lineup that hasn't been killed off in Fighter 6's trailer. I just don't know who

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For the love of god, it's not Waluigi. The majority of people who want Waluigi only do so because of memes and not because they actually like the character. That, and his kicks are not autocombo'd, which puts him at direct odds with the description of the physical attacker for Fighter 6.
Patrick: Is :ultridley: a meme pick?

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely loved Waluigi even before all of the memes, mostly because of his traits and personality. It’s kind of unfair to claim the majority of his fans just like to meme him when I’ve seen many other examples of people just genuinely liking him. That, and arguing that a character that gets memed often shouldn’t get in is kind of irrelevant, with a sans mii costume and such. I really don’t see Waluigi getting in in the near future anyway, but I really hope for him to appear in Smash as playable one day.

D

Deleted member

Same. Waluigi might be a meme to some, but I play him in every spin off game where Petey Piranha or Bowser Jr. aren't playable. He's a character I wanted to star in a game basically since his inception. And since the rumor that a character might be upgraded, I've been pushing for Wah HARD. Paragon leak has only fueled the fire more.
People need to understand that Nintendo NOT Sakurai but Nintendo is choosing the characters. They can force Waluigi to be in and they don’t care regardless of him being an assist trophy or spirit and same thing for every single character who is a spirit like Geno. That’s why the whole “PNG deconfirm” argument is invalid. The outcry for Waluigi is enough for Nintendo to consider him.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Also not to mention, but I’ve seen a lot of hate surrounding just the IDEA of Waluigi getting in, more than people actually supporting him. Things like “what would he even do” or “he’s going to be an assist forever and there’s nothing you can do about it” It kind of reminds me how some people are just like that with Geno and I don’t like it at all for both fanbases.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
On one hand, yes, this is technically correct. On the other hand, the Smash fanbase would probably induce global anarchy if we had to wait a year and ten months for another character. It's only been about three weeks since Byleth's announcement and we all are at a point that we barely tolerate each other. Another month of this and people would start building guillotines in their garages.
To be fair, this is also coupled with the lack of a general direct (we STILL don't know the holiday titles for this year!!!), we have a lot of highly anticipated games coming in a month or two (AC:NH, Doom Eternal, FF7 Remake, etc), and we have a lot of rumors that are practically too good to be true and really need de/confirmation already (To sum up some of the big ones: Paper Mario based on 64/TTYD, Metroid 5 sequel to Fusion, the SNES list of games, and more). On top of all of that, Byleth was a rather unsatisfying end to FP1 for many people, and they're itching to know what FP2 is going to be like. I do hope Nintendo is seriously ready to deliver in this direct since expectations are probably skyhigh. Not necessarily for DLC 6, but for everything I mentioned above mixed together. People want these rumors official or not, people want more info on games they care about (AC:NH especially), they wanna know the other games this year that even Nintendo has teased there's plenty more; the drought and uncertainty is killing us.

I think it's gotta be the Wah. I'm personally on that train. I'd love a double reveal with Wah as 76 and Geno as 77.
This will not happen. As much as I'd love for it to, there's no way we're getting a double-reveal, especially not in a non-E3 direct. This would mess up the perfectly neat and tidy schedule that would be Q1, E3, Late Q3/Early Q4 for reveals (~Feb/June/~Sept), followed by Q2, Q3, and Q4 releases (~April/~August/~Dec). Obviously they don't *have* to stick to this, but a double-reveal not at an E3 would just be pretty crazy unless they're intentionally trying to be ahead of schedule.

How the hell do you know what a "majority" of people want, given that the majority of people for anything don't even speak on the Internet about it?

While Waluigi is very heavily meme'd, I have wanted him to be a fully-fledged character, and if anyone can do it while Nintendo isn't willing to, it's Sakurai. The man took a random ass character from the NES era and turned him into a fully-fledged character that Nintendo has just chosen to not do anything with outside the one game Sakurai did for him. Pit's been sitting in a pit for the longest time and many people wouldn't have a freaking clue who he is if not for Sakurai. Now we have THREE characters (well, 2 plus an echo) in Smash from that series as a result. I'd unironically love for Waluigi to get that kind of treatment.

If I'm totally blunt, Nintendo tends to kick off Smash "reveal seasons" with itself. Melee kicked things off with Peach and Bowser. Brawl was Metaknight, Pit, ZSS, and Wario (and obviously Mario). Smash 4 was Villager and their most iconic characters (Two being Mario and Bowser). Smash 4 DLC was Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy. Ultimate was Inkling (where Mario and Link are the most distinguished shadowy characters), Daisy, and Ridley (Oh, there's Mario again). Ultimate DLC was technically Plant and Mario was in Joker's trailer. Aside from Smash 4 DLC, Nintendo has kicked off Smash reveal seasons with Mario characters somewhere in the mix (although, in a funny way, Bowser Jr's trailer was after Mewtwo's reveal). Either way, it highlights that if first party picks don't kick things off, Mario is usually featured pretty prominently in whatever is.
Inb4 it's actually Waluigi as a bonus DLC (like Plant) and Geno and I was super wrong regarding what egad said.

People need to understand that Nintendo NOT Sakurai but Nintendo is choosing the characters. They can force Waluigi to be in and they don’t care regardless of him being an assist trophy or spirit and same thing for every single character who is a spirit like Geno. That’s why the whole “PNG deconfirm” argument is invalid. The outcry for Waluigi is enough for Nintendo to consider him.
As a bonus, Nintendo has already talked about being aware that, at least enough people to get their attention, were extremely unhappy when Waluigi was shown off as an AT, which does boost his chances. Simply acknowledging a character in any light other than a flat out deconfirm (like non-video game characters as Sakurai has hard deconfirmed [though he could always change his mind in the future...]) will generally help their chances because it makes them aware that enough people do in fact want a character.

Also not to mention, but I’ve seen a lot of hate surrounding just the IDEA of Waluigi getting in, more than people actually supporting him. Things like “what would he even do” or “he’s going to be an assist forever and there’s nothing you can do about it” It kind of reminds me how some people are just like that with Geno and I don’t like it at all for both fanbases.
I mean the "what would he even do" part would basically be a Sakurai redesign like he did with Pit. Sure Pit (pre-Sakurai) had *some* base abilities, but not enough to pull a whole kit from without taking some huge liberties. I said it somewhere in this wall of post, but again, I'd love for Waluigi to get the same kind of treatment.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To get back track with the discussion, Geno's probably going to be an E3 reveal due to his fan favorite status at this point. Possibly with Crash for a double reveal if other rumors are true. Going by what we know from the physical fighter properties being shared with Bayonetta, there's a decent chance said character is female also just as ZSS was used as a base for Bayo. Some of the best candidates that could fit the description include Chun Li due to her iconic status as the first woman of fighting games, Morrigan from Darkstalkers since Sakurai wants to add as many potential worlds as possible, Taokaka and Makoto from Blazblue due to being significant fan favorites, and when looking at Bandai Namco, we musn't forget Soul Calibur as a possibility.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Excuse me? I thought Sakurai was also a big fan of Persona and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters as well.

That would be worser than the Ridley shadow tease in Smash 4 honestly. They showed his shadow on Pyrosphere in the April 2014 Smash Direct than didn't show off he was just a stage hazard until the 50-Fact Extravaganza Direct half a year later. People thought he was playable when they first saw that shadow only to find out he was not to discover half a year later only to have their dreams shattered. 2 years to find out if Geno's fate is sealed or not only to find out his Mii costume returns at the end of the DLC would feel like a big middle finger to the fans honestly. It's better to take the bandage off right away or soon whether than much later.
I miss wrot.e. I meant that BK is the only one he HAS not been openly stated that he was a fan of. My bad

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Memes are social currency. A meme is a form of advertisement that's totally free, spread easily, and culturally relevant, sometimes even globally. Most companies would kill to have one popular meme that's relevant for a month or more, nevermind years. Once again, I think this is an aspect of Waluigi that people hilariously underrate. Yes, Waluigi is a "meme" but that also gives him a terrifying amount of pop culture clout given he's been a "meme" for over a decade. Waluigi is basically the "Pepe" of video game meme icons. Love him or hate him, the dude is a pop culture, gaming, and internet culture behemoth and has been for three gaming console generations now.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Excuse me? I thought Sakurai was also a big fan of Persona and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters as well.

That would be worser than the Ridley shadow tease in Smash 4 honestly. They showed his shadow on Pyrosphere in the April 2014 Smash Direct than didn't show off he was just a stage hazard until the 50-Fact Extravaganza Direct half a year later. People thought he was playable when they first saw that shadow only to find out he was not to discover half a year later only to have their dreams shattered. 2 years to find out if Geno's fate is sealed or not only to find out his Mii costume returns at the end of the DLC would feel like a big middle finger to the fans honestly. It's better to take the bandage off right away or soon whether than much later.
I hated how they handled Ridley's reveal in 4. Pointless secrecy is one of my annoyance buttons. Don't drag your feet on revealing something if there is literally no difference between the hint and the reveal. Like how they hid the face of the bad guy in Tropical Freeze, only to show him later and there was no surprising aspect to hide. They could have shown him at the start and everything would have played out the same. But Ridley's reveal was even worse. Don't dance around and make a mystery when a mystery doesn't have to exist in the first place .

Polarthief

Smash Lord
To get back track with the discussion, Geno's probably going to be an E3 reveal due to his fan favorite status at this point. Possibly with Crash for a double reveal if other rumors are true. Going by what we know from the physical fighter properties being shared with Bayonetta, there's a decent chance said character is female also just as ZSS was used as a base for Bayo. Some of the best candidates that could fit the description include Chun Li due to her iconic status as the first woman of fighting games, Morrigan from Darkstalkers since Sakurai wants to add as many potential worlds as possible, Taokaka and Makoto from Blazblue due to being significant fan favorites, and when looking at Bandai Namco, we musn't forget Soul Calibur as a possibility.
The thing is, after seeing DLC 4 being very lukewarm and 5 being the most controversial to date, you'd think they'd want to come out very, very strong for 6, even if it's not at E3, just maybe not E3 strong. I don't see a Soul Calibur, Blazblue, or Darkstalkers rep filling those shoes, mostly because I literally don't know the third, barely know the second, and do know the first, but I don't think enough people do (at least not in the West; I'll never claim to know what's popular in Asia or even Europe for that matter).

Chun Li is from a franchise we already have in Smash represented by a fighter and an echo. Requested or not, important to gaming history or not, I don't see her being a good first pick. I've already dissed on Crash being a bad first pick as well, but he'd be way better than Chun Li for sure.

TBH if Doomguy were to get in, despite having a deconfirm from the company (Banjo also had a deconfirm from someone who was directly working on something related to him getting in...), I think he'd fit the bill pretty well. Hayabusa (I refuse to call him Ryu in a game that already has a Ryu, sorry) might also, given his original legacy on the NES. Dante I'd say would also be a decent first pick.

What do I think would be the *best* first pick? Honestly, probably Geno, Waluigi, or Shovel Knight. I'm obviously biased on Geno but he's a long-requested 3rd party pick that exists in a 1st party universe. While he is highly-requested, he's also had an extremely weird history with Smash since Brawl's development. Waluigi on the other hand has been shunted to AT status, and this would break open the doors for AT promotion speculation while also giving many people their beloved Wah. SK not only does the same as Waluigi, breaking the hard deconfirm on ATs, but also breaks the door open for Indies, too.

TL;DR-ish: That's just my two cents. I feel that 6 will be an at least pretty well known, decently-to-highly requested character, and will kick off FP2 with a bit of a bang like Joker and Plant did with FP1 (even though Plant's not in FP1, it still kicked off DLC), and given how meh Terry's reveal was* and how awful Byleth's reveal ended up being*, I don't see yet another character people question and raise eyebrows at.

*PS: Talking about the reaction to the reveals on social media. Like em or not, you cannot deny Terry's was very weak and Byleth's was definitely explosive with negativity.

I hated how they handled Ridley's reveal in 4. Pointless secrecy is one of my annoyance buttons. Don't drag your feet on revealing something if there is literally no difference between the hint and the reveal. Like how they hid the face of the bad guy in Tropical Freeze, only to show him later and there was no surprising aspect to hide. They could have shown him at the start and everything would have played out the same. But Ridley's reveal was even worse. Don't dance around and make a mystery when a mystery doesn't have to exist in the first place .
I know it was meme'd earlier, but I'd like to bring it back up: Inb4 DLC 11 is a lukewarm SE rep that brings back Geno's Mii costume from Sm4sh.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
You're right. White hair and swords are clearly anime tropes. FF is only not in anime style because it's a video game. Even animes aren't anime style in video games. If they made a movie version obviously it would be anime.View attachment 261247
Oh, guess not. Almost like it was never intended to be anime and white hair and swords are just general fantasy things. At least it's still more anime than classic smash Bros characters.
View attachment 261249
Oh...
View attachment 261250
Oh damn...
View attachment 261251
Yikes, maybe this was a mistake.
View attachment 261253
Begone foul anime swordsman!
This is ridiculous hair-splitting

Waluigi is basically the "Pepe" of video game meme icons. Love him or hate him, the dude is a pop culture, gaming, and internet culture behemoth and has been for three gaming console generations now.
I am a huge Waluigi fan but no. Just no. He is not a POP CULTURE BEHEMOTH. VERY few video game characters hold that distinction. "Very few" as in "you can count them on one hand".

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
View attachment 261264
It seems that Sora is out of the running
Sorafans eternally btfo. Although that is incredibly concerning that nintendo approached them for sora. Do they really not care about Geno at all? First cloud, hero, where tf is geno, man? Cmon nintendo whatre you doing?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno and Crash would be a great E3. I don't think anyone would disagree. If you can't be happy for the fans of two characters that Nintendo has physical evidence of fans asking for since 1999 finally getting in, you just kind of suck. But that's just a theory, a GAME THEORY.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
See, I don't usually talk in this thread, but you can't exactly fault people for saying Cloud and Sephiroth look like anime characters. Besides, calling someone "anime" just as often refers to the general visual style as anything else. It isn't crazy to say that a character who has super spiky hair and those big, sharp, trademark eyes -
View attachment 261254
Looks more anime than someone with more realistic, detailed facial features and eyes ripped straight from Batman: The Animated Series -
View attachment 261256
Call Falcon what you will, I guess, but using a 3d render of Cloud that intentionally looks more realistic to prove that he's no more anime-inspired than other characters is disingenuous.
Are you for real? Because you just did the exact same thing posting the smash render of falcon. The only difference is that the one I posted of falcon is actually anime style while the one you posted of Cloud isn't. And it's not disingenuous to post a more realistic version of Cloud. That's how he looks 95% of the time! The image you posted is just his menu Sprite. Look at anything Final Fantasy. That's literally just the modern Final Fantasy artstyle.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
View attachment 261264
Do you have a link to said video? I'm actually a little interested in hearing.

Sorafans eternally btfo.
LETS ******* GO! Geno biggest competition gone!
Let's not be rude about it if this is the case. We want to be on the good end of karma, not the bad one. I know, this coming from me is odd, but I need more information on it before it is too late.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
<clipped picture> It seems that Sora is out of the running
Assuming this is all true, I'm sorry to those of you who are also Sora fans that you won't get your pick, but I couldn't be happier at this news. That's really big competition gone for Geno, and for me personally, Sora's on my small list of characters I'd rather not see.
PS: Not hating or anything. I legit am sorry if Sora was your #1, I'd just rather not see him, personally.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
View attachment 261264
You know whether you believe this or not. Nintendo HAS to cross paths with Disney to acquire Sora. In my opinion Disney probably FLAT OUT said NO. Why? Well Nintendo Land is going to Universal not Disney. To be quite honest I don't think they entertained the idea at all. I mean Disney. Or this could be just a smoke screen to keep this super secret. ( not surprising if this is the case) I mean is it not the old saying the most obvious reasons are probably really the reasons. Rather than some elaborate reasoning? Idk. Don't get me wrong Disney in Smash would open the door alot and I dont mind Sora. Im not rooting for him I want Geno not Sora but i won't be upset if he gets in. Its actually a good thing because relationship with Disney and Nintendo can flourish more (game wise) .

D

Deleted member

Anime is Japanese animation. If Sephiroth is anime, then Geno and every character in Smash (besides Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Dark Samus and Banjo & Kazooie) is anime.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
View attachment 261264
Less competition for Geno then.
One of those bittersweet moments where a heavily-requested character takes the fall, in turn making other requested characters more likely (like when Resident Evil got Spirit Board-ed, resulting in Dante and Phoenix Wright's chances going up).

This is technically nothing but good for Geno's chances... but it still sucks for Sora's fans. Hopefully we get a third Pass so that Sora still has a shot at making it eventually, or failing that, at least a Mii Fighter costume.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I never once viewed Sora as competition for Geno because both are owned by completely different companies, and it is rather sad that Disney Japan is deliberately sabotaging it for the Sora supporters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Would Sora have actually been competition? Disney owns him, and this proves Nintendo would’ve had to license him from Disney. I was worried at first, too, but then I realized that.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
This doesn't really affect Geno in any meaningful way. All it does is prove once and for all Geno and Sora weren't competition as Nintendo had to go to Disney not Square.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Sorafans eternally btfo. Although that is incredibly concerning that nintendo approached them for sora. Do they really not care about Geno at all? First cloud, hero, where tf is geno, man? Cmon nintendo whatre you doing?
tbh We don't know what time this was for, it may have been base game or Pass 1

domriver

Smash Lord
I never once viewed Sora as competition for Geno because both are owned by completely different companies, and it is rather sad that Disney Japan is deliberately sabotaging it for the Sora supporters.
Quote For Truth. I 100% agree Matt. In regards that one is in the way of another. Its either Sora or Geno. To be Honest why not both? :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 261264
If the brand manager of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts saying no wasn't enough, there's no getting around this. Also, guys, for the love of God, be cool. Don't be assholes. I know tensions have been high between Geno and Sora fans since, well, 2006 but there's no excuse to be dickish about this. I know plenty of great Sora fans so let's not escalate things.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This is ridiculous hair-splitting

I am a huge Waluigi fan but no. Just no. He is not a POP CULTURE BEHEMOTH. VERY few video game characters hold that distinction. "Very few" as in "you can count them on one hand".
It's not hair splitting. Final Fantasy just literally is not anime. Fire Emblem is anime. Persona is Anime. Final Fantasy goes with Legend of Zelda in the "realistically proportioned but not anime" pile. I just get frustrated seeing people claim everything with a sword except Sora and Crono is anime. Which is ironic since Crono is literally designed by Akira Toriama.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Are you for real? Because you just did the exact same thing posting the smash render of falcon. The only difference is that the one I posted of falcon is actually anime style while the one you posted of Cloud isn't. And it's not disingenuous to post a more realistic version of Cloud. That's how he looks 95% of the time! The image you posted is just his menu Sprite. Look at anything Final Fantasy. That's literally just the modern Final Fantasy artstyle.
And the modern Final fantasy style is anime-influenced-as-hell

It's not hair splitting. Final Fantasy just literally is not anime. Fire Emblem is anime. Persona is Anime. Final Fantasy goes with Legend of Zelda in the "realistically proportioned but not anime" pile. I just get frustrated seeing people claim everything with a sword except Sora and Crono is anime. Which is ironic since Crono is literally designed by Akira Toriama.
Sora and Crono are totally anime. Right along with final fantasy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom