• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
One reason why I don't want to abandon this thread is because of how far we've come. Just look at that! 2061 pages! Besides, if we give up, that's just what the haters want. They want us to shut up and disappear. I plan to disappoint them.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
This is still a speculation thread, it's just in the context of all of the thread regulars wanting GENO.

So yeah, bring on the Doomguy and Caco Mii hat...so we can get our blue puppet boi and a sleepy Mallow hat.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
One reason why I don't want to abandon this thread is because of how far we've come. Just look at that! 2061 pages! Besides, if we give up, that's just what the haters want. They want us to shut up and disappear. I plan to disappoint them.
Exactly, we're not giving up now!

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Several social threads already exist:

https://smashboards.com/threads/a-social-thread.484266/
https://smashboards.com/threads/nintenzone-social-7-0-welcome-back-folks.484270/

I can't speak for other mods, but I don't see why the Geno thread needs to have its own dedicated social thread when no other character speculation thread has that.
I had a lot of fun talking about non-Geno related stuff with the people on here. It wouldn’t be an exclusive thread for only us of course. Anyone would be welcome. Some of the people on other threads arent too friendly to the Geno fans, so I feel like having a friendly alternative for us would be a good thing. A lot of us on here dont have the time or talent to make fanart, stages, movesets, etc, and only really have the ability to converse.

I love the community we have here and dont wanna see it fall apart. People are already leaving, and more likely will as well. If we had a social thread alongside this speculation one we would keep the community together much better.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
View attachment 252579

For those who don't want to click the link.

For me, I'd do:
1. Geno
2. Doomguy
3. Bandana Dee (i want him too, win/win)
4. Karate Joe or Rhythm Girl, either one
5. Pappy Van Poodle
For me I would say:

Character I want: Geno (who?)

Add for the fans: Doomguy (they haven't been around too long but that community seems genuinely good intentioned like us and Doomguy seems cool)

Make a friend happy: Shovel Knight

Underrepresented series: Isaac (Golden Sun)

Joke character: Tetromino

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I had a lot of fun talking about non-Geno related stuff with the people on here. It wouldn’t be an exclusive thread for only us of course. Anyone would be welcome. Some of the people on other threads arent too friendly to the Geno fans, so I feel like having a friendly alternative for us would be a good thing. A lot of us on here dont have the time or talent to make fanart, stages, movesets, etc, and only really have the ability to converse.

I love the community we have here and dont wanna see it fall apart. People are already leaving, and more likely will as well. If we had a social thread alongside this speculation one we would keep the community together much better.
The problem here, though, is would the community really move over to there? I don't know about you, but it still wouldn't feel the same. The thread wouldn't have the long history like this one does, and the new moniker would certainly invite different problems.

Those are just my thoughts on this idea.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Maybe you guys should refrain from throwing poopy diaper tantrums until you give the rules a chance. They don’t seem anywhere near as strict as you guys think. If you’re genuinely upset that you can’t have several long pages of discussion on other characters you want, well that never should’ve been happening here in the first place. There are general threads for longform discussion on that and it is not the Geno thread’s problem if you don’t like those threads.

They said other characters can be talked about as long as it at least remotely relates to Geno, so I truly don’t see an issue.

Anyways, my money is on Geno being fighter 7 right now, but I could see 6 happening

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know, i think those mii hats are fake for 1 reason... nintendo hasnt taken them down yet. They are quick to take down any legit video leaks like those pokemon ones, but this is still up. That just screams nintendo doesnt care about them hence they are fake

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Let's talk Stage cameos.

Bowyer is a lock in my opinion, it would be so sick to see him and other members of the Smithy Gang in HD. Mallow would of course need to be seen in some fashion, I personally think he deserves to be in taunts/victory animations, but a stage cameo would be just as well.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Additionally, to update you guys, Fatmanonice was answering stuff the other day and he said he doesn’t think 5 or 6 is Geno. Someone asked him if he could give us a hint as who 6 would be then, and he said this.

View attachment 252845

So this would make Geno be most likely the Fighter 7 slot. I’m not saying I take this as leaks or anything it’s just the usual additive speculation, but you can’t deny Fatman is talking about a pretty awesome timeline here haha
I’m sorry, but after everything that has transpired the past few weeks, I have no reason to believe this

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
For me the reason I'm leaning more towards the Cacodemon/Mallow leak to be real is the Mallow hat. Just look at how it looks vs the attempted mod. The shape, the lighting, the detail, it looks so buttery smooth that only the Smash team can do as of right now in my opinion. Ultimate has the best models in any smash game along with the best lighting engine out of all smash games and it's fully in line with that. That and now we know the mii costume leak to be more legit than ever. If we ONLY saw Smithy...

Though I WILL reserve a little scepticism so I'm not burned as hard as with the Grinch Leak.

Firox

Smash Master
Maybe you guys should refrain from throwing poopy diaper tantrums until you give the rules a chance. They don’t seem anywhere near as strict as you guys think. If you’re genuinely upset that you can’t have several long pages of discussion on other characters you want, well that never should’ve been happening here in the first place. There are general threads for longform discussion on that and it is not the Geno thread’s problem if you don’t like those threads.

They said other characters can be talked about as long as it at least remotely relates to Geno, so I truly don’t see an issue.

Anyways, my money is on Geno being fighter 7 right now, but I could see 6 happening
Nailed it 100%. We still seem to have enough freedom to enjoy ourselves without having to go too far onto tangents. Let's just feel it out first and see how we like it.

You know, i think those mii hats are fake for 1 reason... nintendo hasnt taken them down yet. They are quick to take down any legit video leaks like those pokemon ones, but this is still up. That just screams nintendo doesnt care about them hence they are fake
Nintendo isn't dumb enough to try and take them down. If they did, it would literally be as good as confirming their authenticity. Their best move is to ignore the video and let us assume it was a mod creation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's talk Stage cameos.

Bowyer is a lock in my opinion, it would be so sick to see him and other members of the Smithy Gang in HD. Mallow would of course need to be seen in some fashion, I personally think he deserves to be in taunts/victory animations, but a stage cameo would be just as well.
New idea combined with my hope that we get a transforming stage that goes all over the world of Mario RPG: Countdown just kind of hangs out there and actively counts down to the next transformation.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Let's talk Stage cameos.

About Bowyer, I can imagine him as a stage hazard if the stage is forest stage. There, he could fire arrows that land on four panels, disabling one's up-B, cown-B, side-B and regular B moves respectively. What do you all think of this idea?

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Let's talk Stage cameos.

What if the stage is the forest, and Bowyer is the hazard? He disables certain moves for a few seconds, like you can't use Special, or Smash moves. Though that might be more annoying than anything.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I wanted to talk briefly about something. Everyone took an L last night, myself included. Pretty much none of the major VGA rumors since the beginning of November came true and everyone got BTFO. So, on that note, I want to talk about the issue of trust.

Trust is a commodity and shouldn't be given out willy nilly. When that comes to me and the rumors and speculation I post here, I actually DON'T expect people to trust me without question. Trust SHOULD be earned. I want people to trust me but also respect personal autonomy and people's right to skepticism. If you don't believe me, that's okay. What I do get uppity about is when people call me a liar or suggest I'm being manipulative. I try to be a straight shooter on this stuff and talk about what I'm allowed to talk about. Again, trust is important and if people are trusting me with this stuff, I want to retain it. If they say "nothing but vague hints", I feel I need to respect that.

Finally, on the topic of the VGAs, based on the rumors shared and who shared them, I'm not going to reveal what they said because, as far as I'm concerned, this stuff is still in play and, honestly, they did suggest a January Direct if not the VGAs. I'll happily take those Ls from last night if it means the rumors are still in play. On the topic of Geno, the biggest victory for us yesterday was the SNK spirit board clarification, meaning the Mii costumes leak from the summer is even stronger so it's a groovy situation all and all despite the VGAs (cough) not living up to anyone's expectations.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I wish there was an interview where the question of legal rights to SMRPG content would be asked. Who owns what and for how long? Is any original content Square only like Geno, Booster, Boshi, etc? Can Nintendo have them? Does Nintendo WANT them?

I can picture both Nintendo and Square confused over it, thinking that the other has those rights.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The issue with Smashboards is the Nanny Net approach of the mods. When I first started posting on here in 2006, it was more open and people started new threads regularly based on topic of that day. I enjoyed it. I didn't care that there was 20 sonic threads, it was fun shooting the breeze. Now everything is so tight that, IMO, it is causing more fights and problems then good. I mean you get a double post warning even if you are 5 minutes apart and they are off topic. Too many stupid rules on here.

domriver

Smash Lord
*sees Geno thread finally open*
1576272744811.png

Well no reveal at the TGA. Im holding to my last bag of hope for next week for a possible direct for smash. If not my hope will have dried out for the remainder of the year. Then my hope refills after the first week of January. LOL GENOOOOOOO PLeaseeeeeeeee just end it for us. LOL

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I wanted to talk briefly about something. Everyone took an L last night, myself included. Pretty much none of the major VGA rumors since the beginning of November came true and everyone got BTFO. So, on that note, I want to talk about the issue of trust.

Trust is a commodity and shouldn't be given out willy nilly. When that comes to me and the rumors and speculation I post here, I actually DON'T expect people to trust me without question. Trust SHOULD be earned. I want people to trust me but also respect personal autonomy and people's right to skepticism. If you don't believe me, that's okay. What I do get uppity about is when people call me a liar or suggest I'm being manipulative. I try to be a straight shooter on this stuff and talk about what I'm allowed to talk about. Again, trust is important and if people are trusting me with this stuff, I want to retain it. If they say "nothing but vague hints", I feel I need to respect that.

Finally, on the topic of the VGAs, based on the rumors shared and who shared them, I'm not going to reveal what they said because, as far as I'm concerned, this stuff is still in play and, honestly, they did suggest a January Direct if not the VGAs. I'll happily take those Ls from last night if it means the rumors are still in play. On the topic of Geno, the biggest victory for us yesterday was the SNK spirit board clarification, meaning the Mii costumes leak from the summer is even stronger so it's a groovy situation all and all despite the VGAs (cough) not living up to anyone's expectations.
Sus cough. Smash was robbed of Game of the Year and I'll fight over that. As far as trust is concerned, I'd love to know why trust this guy about the Spirit/Costume clarification. I sort of briefly mentioned it before, but if this had come out around the time of PapaGenos making the video on it, before Terry came out? It'd be a different story, but now it could totally be a "cover your ass" move. Is there any original transcript in this telephone game where he told someone "spirits" or "characters" instead of costumes? And is the direct "later" or "January"?

And to clarify a bit more on that, I don't need to see the transcript if there is one. If you're willing to vouch for it existing or something similar that offers a lot of proof to that statement, I'll believe you because as far as I'm concerned you've earned whatever trust I can give you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
So, uh...

how about Genos?

View attachment 252581

I think he'd be neat in Smash.
just needs a little tweak...

(I can't believe the post stayed in the text box this long. I simply must post it)

As for the new rules, it's unfortunate, but what are you gonna do. If you're looking for a more social environment, head on over to the star road discord.

Now, to keep things on topic, if I or another of the artists were to design a geno themed shirt, what would you want to see on it, and would you be willing to buy?

Attachments

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
About Bowyer, I can imagine him as a stage hazard if the stage is forest stage. There, he could fire arrows that land on four panels, disabling one's up-B, cown-B, side-B and regular B moves respectively. What do you all think of this idea?
What if the stage is the forest, and Bowyer is the hazard? He disables certain moves for a few seconds, like you can't use Special, or Smash moves. Though that might be more annoying than anything.
I do play Smash with Hazards off... There has yet to be a DLC stage thats competitively viable, so I think it would be sick if Geno got one that is, that way the cameos don't disappear when you have Hazards off. That would be my only issue. (I guess Spiral Mountain already does this, but still isn't viable in vanilla form.) All I can say is that would be a great reference and a tantalizing hazard. I can't imagine losing my Up-B right before getting launched off stage lmao.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Well here we are, Geno thread's reopened and we're under stricter rules. The anti-drama rule, I have no qualms with, I was getting sick of it anyway. Having to keep the thread always on-topic about Geno and only Geno though, is a bit of a party pooper to me. I've already said why I disagree with that notion in prior messages so I'm not gonna repeat myself, but you know what? Rules are rules, so I'm gonna abide by them from now on. If any of you guys want to fight against that, go ahead, but I'm not anymore, especially at the risk of causing further drama which I wanna avoid at all costs. So let's just continue on with the thread as is and let's hope we can become a Geno Social sooner than later! :drflip:

Now for the post I was writing before the thread went down:

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1668928-super-smash-brothers-ultimate
Not sure if this has been shared yet but maybe we can generate some positive discussion with this.
View attachment 252579

For those who don't want to click the link.

For me, I'd do:
1. Geno
2. Doomguy
3. Bandana Dee (i want him too, win/win)
4. Karate Joe or Rhythm Girl, either one
5. Pappy Van Poodle
Aha, there's the positive, drama-free stuff I signed up for!

That's a tough to make and there'll be some draws, but here I go:

1. Waluigi/Geno
2. Doomguy/Isaac
3. Crash
4. Bandana Dee/ Skull Kid (well, Kirby and Zelda are underrepresented given their size at least)
5. Cooking Mama

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I finished my little Geno sketch. I'm not much of an artist but it's fun to do and it's something.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Sus cough. Smash was robbed of Game of the Year and I'll fight over that. As far as trust is concerned, I'd love to know why trust this guy about the Spirit/Costume clarification. I sort of briefly mentioned it before, but if this had come out around the time of PapaGenos making the video on it, before Terry came out? It'd be a different story, but now it could totally be a "cover your ass" move. Is there any original transcript in this telephone game where he told someone "spirits" or "characters" instead of costumes? And is the direct "later" or "January"?
Agreed. Some screen shots or some kind of proof would be nice. I WANT to believe it, but this "he said/she said" stuff is sketchy and frankly getting old.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I finished my little Geno sketch. I'm not much of an artist but it's fun to do and it's something.

You know, many of us think we aren't that good of artists and thus can't do anything if this thread focuses on that more, but how many of us have actually tried? Who knows, maybe some might shock themselves with what they make.

Anyway, nice drawing!

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

At least we have the SNK spirits clarification that gave Geno's chances a nice boost

RageCage271

Smash Cadet
Good to see we're back up and running :). Anything new I've missed, post... whatever that was that happened before? Thoughts on TGA and how semidisappointing it was? :/

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am not as mad at the leakers as I am at Nintendo for being so secretive and for giving us divisive characters instead of researching the characters people want. Smash team did so well with 3rd party picks at the start going with Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Cloud. Picks that are popping worldwide. Then they AT Bomberman which made no sense. He would have been a great addition. They tease the **** out of Rayman but don't add him. Then they give us characters like Joker that no one wanted. A lot of mistakes in the tail end of Smash Ultimate and with the FP. At least they got Banjo and Hero right. Bayonetta and Corrin were the Joker/Terry of Smssh 4 btw. Although Simon Belmont was a cool add. Everyone thought Nintendo had figured it out with Ridley, KRool, and Simon Belmont but then they went back to old ways.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nailed it 100%. We still seem to have enough freedom to enjoy ourselves without having to go too far onto tangents. Let's just feel it out first and see how we like it.

Nintendo isn't dumb enough to try and take them down. If they did, it would literally be as good as confirming their authenticity. Their best move is to ignore the video and let us assume it was a mod creation.
Nintendo lawyers dont care, they will, and every other company does as well, take down anything that is taken illegally. That was illegally obtained footage most likely, so nintendo would absolutely take it down.

Yes the mii hats are very realistic and if it turns out true great, but still, i feel this way.

Trust is important for sure. Glad to see you open about that. Also i respected verge for apologizing for his mistake earlier last week too.

Still, i think leakers shouldnt really be vague. It just causes more confusion. Maybe be vauge for a bit to build up hype but dont stay vague. Unless your source says you have to be vague, and thus you state that as well.

Personally i perfer de coms the coms. I want to be surprised but narrowing down choices is fine with me.

Btw, you said you feel or heard 2 spirits should be upgraded huh? I feel those 2 are for sure Geno and Shantae. But you said waluigi has been talked, where you counting them as the 2? How is shantae so far been hearing much?

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

I’m assuming the disappointing smash news was there was no Smash at the show right? Anyway I’m happy we got a nice boost for Geno

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I am not as mad at the leakers as I am at Nintendo for being so secretive and for giving us divisive characters instead of researching the characters people want. Smash team did so well with 3rd party picks at the start going with Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Cloud. Picks that are popping worldwide. Then they AT Bomberman which made no sense. He would have been a great addition. They tease the **** out of Rayman but don't add him. Then they give us characters like Joker that no one wanted. A lot of mistakes in the tail end of Smash Ultimate and with the FP. At least they got Banjo and Hero right. Bayonetta and Corrin were the Joker/Terry of Smssh 4 btw. Although Simon Belmont was a cool add. Everyone thought Nintendo had figured it out with Ridley, KRool, and Simon Belmont but then they went back to old ways.
>Joker
>No one wanted him

A quick Google search would tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
While I totally get what you're saying, remember that we still have more DLC to go and there's still time to get a lot of fan favorites including Geno. I AM pretty annoyed with Nintendo's lack of transparency, but consider how hype it will be going into the next reveal with a total surprise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

And to clarify a bit more on that, I don't need to see the transcript if there is one. If you're willing to vouch for it existing or something similar that offers a lot of proof to that statement, I'll believe you because as far as I'm concerned you've earned whatever trust I can give you.
Let me copy and paste one of his recent rants (he later called it this himself so it's not an insult) about people doubting his credibility:

"I think my favorite claim in there is "used to fake leaks"

Did I fake Metroid Prime 4's delay? How about the Smash code info in October? Mii costumes? Banjo, the 4 Hero alts, and Megalovania track? Konami collections (I did get 2 games out of the 3 lists wrong though)?"

These are just a few examples of things this guy has gotten right in the past year.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
The problem here, though, is would the community really move over to there? I don't know about you, but it still wouldn't feel the same. The thread wouldn't have the long history like this one does, and the new moniker would certainly invite different problems.

Those are just my thoughts on this idea.
It’s better than nothing at this point. I wouldn’t expect the whole community to join it, maybe like 10 or so people. And I have no intention of splitting the fanbase. I’d encourage people to still post on here when relevant

Firox

Smash Master
Nintendo lawyers dont care, they will, and every other company does as well, take down anything that is taken illegally. That was illegally obtained footage most likely, so nintendo would absolutely take it down.

Yes the mii hats are very realistic and if it turns out true great, but still, i feel this way.
It's fair enough that you believe that, but consider the fact that none of the other legitimate video leaks were ever taken down. As I said, doing so would solidify the leak while ignoring it leaves us to doubt and question it.....just like we're doing now. In the case of other companies, they always take down footage when it shows gameplay prior to the actual game's release. In this case, smash is already out, but it's a question of what content is coming and what's not. Besides, Nintendo has always been historically hit or miss when it comes to take downs. Just look at Youtube. Some people get slapped constantly while others skate free for the exact same offence.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It’s better than nothing at this point. I wouldn’t expect the whole community to join it, maybe like 10 or so people. And I have no intention of splitting the fanbase. I’d encourage people to still post on here when relevant
I don't doubt that, but I fear that it would split the fanbase in some ways, even if it would appear minuscule at first.

I think, at least for now, let's see how these new rules play out. It hasn't even been a day after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom