• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Would a stage gimmick involving locking standard or special attacks be seen as too disruptive? It brings in the essence of the original boss battle, and we can still keep the arrow volleys for the stage
I originally thought about doing something like that too. Maybe having the buttons displayed in the background at Bowyer's feet. The interesting issue with that though is how people have their controllers mapped. For example, if I were to have jump mapped to say X AND a shoulder button, then the effect would do nothing to me. Plus, if jump or special were to get cancelled anyway, some people would get royally screwed when trying to recover. I came to the conclusion that a brief and general paralysis would probably be the least frustrating option.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Exactly, now let's talk about why Geno will be top tier
I don't have the competitive knowhow to verify that, but let us hope that he is. Not to the point where people would start to resent him because of his domination, but still be prevalent enough to be seen commonly.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The cake vs pie thing was fun. Why can't we just talk to each other and joke around? That shouldn't be against the rules as long as we are respectful and generally keep the conversation related to smash on a website called Smashboards.
Which is why the conversation should be related to Geno on a thread called Geno Discussion.
This is exactly why I think we need a social thread for the community.
https://smashboards.com/forums/general-social.10/
https://smashboards.com/threads/a-social-thread.484266/page-3403#post-23724045

We have these. Use them.

Edit:
Sorry. Just felt like I had to say something.
People who feel like they just have to say something are doing just as much to get this shut down as any troll. Ignore, report, we'll deal with it. Stop thinking you're doing anything but making it worse.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Although it was interesting to have discussion with people I don't normally speak with due to spending most of my time in this thread I'm happy that it's back open and we can speculate about Geno again. The rules seems fair to me but I guess some people are going to miss the pages and pages of off-topic stuff about characters other than Geno. The thing is though I feel like with the post pass nearing and some rumors about 6 and 7 in particular there's plenty to discuss about Geno. Like really you can compare your desire for a character that isn't Geno to how much you want Geno or measuring how likely they may be when compared to one another and that's still on-topic. With Geno being a big contender I feel like it'd be pretty easy to discuss a lot of characters with respect to Geno in the near future. Just some food for thought.

Also, imo the VGAs sucked. Like, BD2 shows a willingness between Ninteno/SE to collaborate which I guess shows a possibility for more collaborations in the future (if it's successful). Honestly @ing them on social media about SMRPG2/ a remake when their official accounts post about BD2 might not be a terrible idea as long as it's done respectfully. But other than that the only things I was actually hype about were Wolf Among Us 2 and NMH3 which wasn't even a reveal. Kind of ****ty on Geoff's part to reference Joker and tease about other big announcements on that level. Like I get he wanted people to watch but it was most definetely b8ing Smash fans to stick around the entire show.

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I don't have the competitive knowhow to verify that, but let us hope that he is. Not to the point where people would start to resent him because of his domination, but still be prevalent enough to be seen commonly.
I'm not a competitive player either but i feel like he should be at least good or fun to use

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, now let's talk about why Geno will be top tier
He'd be the only character to have a move that inflicts 999% damage instantly. Of course he'd be top tier.

Jokes aside, I think I'd be fine with mid-high tier or so. I'm sure I'd try playing him regardless of the tier he ends up being in.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Howdy

Trolling is against site rules and wrong. Do not do that.
Also, flaming is against site rules and wrong. Don't do that.
A lot of you have been doing the right thing and reporting. Please keep doing that.
Some of you have been reporting content as trolling/flaming, but then also replying to that content with inflammatory remarks of your own. Please do not do that; it's not only warnable, it makes no sense. "Hey mods, this person is trolling, just thought I'd let you know before I reply to them, thus making their troll successful." ???

As Mic_128 indicates, this is not a social thread. Please discuss Geno, how you'd like him to function in Smash Bros., SMRPG, etc.. If you'd like to discuss other things (Other characters for Smash, Someone On The Internet Somewhere Said Something That May Or May Not Be True, etc.), go elsewhere. If you'd like to communicate the fact that you do not want Geno to be added to Smash, go to another website entirely. Thank you!

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Actually this works quite nicely especially from a chronological perspective. I was wondering though would there be any possibility of having a touch of Smithy’s Factory using Exor as a transition in and of itself? Not sure how we’d do the Factory -> Inner Bowser Keep transition apart from getting ejected out in vein of the opening cinematic lol
Ooo I do like the idea of adding in the Factory. Yeah they could totally call back to the opening just like that lol

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
He'd be the only character to have a move that inflicts 999% damage instantly. Of course he'd be top tier.

Jokes aside, I think I'd be fine with mid-high tier or so. I'm sure I'd try playing him regardless of the tier he ends up being in.
Well if they made it based on RNG similar to Hero then i wouldn't have a problem with that

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Love it when the mods don’t do jack ****. Thanks for that!

Anyway, I’ve been thinking of a reveal trailer for Geno with Geno’s spirit falling into the woods on the Geno doll bringing it back to life.

Plank08

Smash Lord
If Geno gets in, I hope he could be able to pull combos together (that’s why I want him to have a Banjo nair) and be extremely light, but do TONS of damage FAST (like Olimar, Pichu, or Bowser)

Last edited:

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
I originally thought about doing something like that too. Maybe having the buttons displayed in the background at Bowyer's feet. The interesting issue with that though is how people have their controllers mapped. For example, if I were to have jump mapped to say X AND a shoulder button, then the effect would do nothing to me. Plus, if jump or special were to get cancelled anyway, some people would get royally screwed when trying to recover. I came to the conclusion that a brief and general paralysis would probably be the least frustrating option.
Fair enough. I think later Smash games particularly refer to the action over the button but I guess a button with JUMP / ATTACK / SPECIAL in the background wouldn’t be that clear to read. I guess it’s probably not too fair to lock out fundamental movement options (even though Melee did it to an extent with single button mode lol)

On the matter of competitive viability, assuming we get the finger gun armaments and the arm cannon and rocket fists in addition to his specials, the main thing that I would imagine would sway the game in favour of or against Geno would be does he attack with instantaneous extended / disjointed hitboxes (not quite to the extent of Bayo or Joker guns, maybe something like a half sized Pac-Man grab range?) or long range but typically slow projectiles with his normals for the majority of attacks. He’s got power and speed for his canon stats and low durability that would probably make him fit a Mewtwo archetype. Don’t think he’ll be lighter than the lightest princess on the roster tho (?Zelda)

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Love it when the mods don’t do jack ****. Thanks for that!

Anyway, I’ve been thinking of a reveal trailer for Geno with Geno’s spirit falling into the woods on the Geno doll bringing it back to life.
I honestly feel like Geno's trailer is going to be a continuation of the Ridley trailer. I was thinking a Hero continuation before since Spirits were involved there plus the SE connection but after Fatmanonice Fatmanonice pointed out how a Ridley continuation/Geno reveal would tie in with Mario (obvious), Samus (she was in his mii costume reveal), and Megaman (arm gun bois) I really think it'd be perfect. Especially if Geno's first appearance is going over to Mario and giving him back his hat. It'd be kind of poetic for them to be reunited like that or something similar.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Geno gets in, I hope he could be able to pull cobbles together (that’s why I want him to have a Banjo nair) and be extremely light, but do TONS of damage FAST (like Olimar, Pichu, or Bowser)
I think this is the first time I have seen any sort of competitive term used for speculation in this entire thread. And I have been here since page 9.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Go Geno.

As a friendly reminder for everyone that has been expressed by the mods. Ignore Trolls, Report them and Don't feed them. Simple. Granted it is frustrating, but just Ignore, report and don't feed them.

Also, as for what Fatman said regarding the SNK board clarification and how it helps Geno, can someone please elaborate on this? I've been mostly away but still want to keep the spark alive for Geno.

collater333

Smash Rookie
Gonna start blocking trolls now. I suggest you all start doing the same. No sense in feeding them what they want: drama.

All that being said and done, one of the arguments against Geno being no. 5 was that, "he wasn't Game Awards worthy." Since we didn't get a GA reveal, does that mean he can still be no. 5?

Yeah, it's a huge stretch, but still, one can hope. =)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I got a question for you guys:

Do you think Sakurai would give Geno a design overhaul in the same vein as Pit or Ice Climbers? If so, in what way?

For example, maybe a longer cape with embroideries? Maybe some artistic symbols carved into the wood of his body? Maybe some detail added to the shoes?

collater333

Smash Rookie

Do you think Sakurai would give Geno a design overhaul in the same vein as Pit or Ice Climbers? If so, in what way?

For example, maybe a longer cape with embroideries? Maybe some artistic symbols carved into the wood of his body? Maybe some detail added to the shoes?
Nah, I think he'll keep the same design, but will get a bit of an "hd overall" kind of deal so he looks more clean and smooth.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I think this is the first time I have seen any sort of competitive term used for speculation in this entire thread. And I have been here since page 9.
Alright bet, I’m gonna talk more about where I would design Geno in a competitive sense.
I would make him a top 15 character, people would argue he is one of the best, he would be very high risk high reward, easy to understand but hard to master, mkleo would probably main him.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Honestly, my hope is that he would design him with the same process he used Pit, but limited to a Mario perspective. He designed Pit as if his series had continued and evolved his look, so for Geno I want him to design him as of he had stayed with the Mario series and evolved with the Mario look. It's been subtle, but the look of Mario has changed quite a bit.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Honestly I think it's going to be very similar to his mii costume without his cursed mii face. As Fatman brought up characters like K. Rool and Inklings really took a lot of resources from their Smash 4 costumes in their designs. If Geno is becoming playable I absolutely see them using a lot of those assets becuase why wouldn't you? Maybe a bit more detail in general and updating his arm but other than that the mii costume really wasn't that bad as far as body goes. It might be a Ridley situation but I honestly doubt it.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I honestly feel like Geno's trailer is going to be a continuation of the Ridley trailer. I was thinking a Hero continuation before since Spirits were involved there plus the SE connection but after Fatmanonice Fatmanonice pointed out how a Ridley continuation/Geno reveal would tie in with Mario (obvious), Samus (she was in his mii costume reveal), and Megaman (arm gun bois) I really think it'd be perfect. Especially if Geno's first appearance is going over to Mario and giving him back his hat. It'd be kind of poetic for them to be reunited like that or something similar.
I’ve long said that if CacoMallow is real then Doomguy and Geno could share the Ridley trailer continuation. Doomguy fits (space guns and fightin monsters) but also the two of them do have a fun thematic dynamic outside of being associated by the leak (Heaven & Hell, guys will laser guns)

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791

The cape’s probably going to get a Rosalina tier of decoration, no need for excessive embroidery especially if alts can make reference other capes which are patterned
If anything maybe emphasise the complexity of his hand / arm weaponry with more grooves in the arms
Having him have an idle with the glow of the star spirit inside flicker around to emphasise his true nature perhaps?

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

A longer cape would be nice (also that would bring some sweet Batman memes but with Geno)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Honestly, my hope is that he would design him with the same process he used Pit, but limited to a Mario perspective. He designed Pit as if his series had continued and evolved is look, so for Geno I want him to design him as of he had stayed with the Mario series and evolved with the Mario look. It's been subtle, but the look of Mario has changed quite a bit.
Wow, that's an ingenious observation. I never thought about it, but you're right. Pit evolved in a very organic way in accordance with his series and art style. It only makes sense that Geno would follow the Mario style.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Perhaps with his clothing and boots but not so much with his overall design. It would be more of a Mega Man rehaul of anything.

domriver

Smash Lord

Hmm interesting - Im sure Sakurai looked at his original and go from there. Maybe to go along "with the times" but stay old school as Geno should be. Giving him a full overhaul would I guess be a good representation of him. I do think detail would go into this wood. lol im curious now. Im waiting Sakurai........

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
The cape’s probably going to get a Rosalina tier of decoration, no need for excessive embroidery especially if alts can make reference other capes which are patterned
If anything maybe emphasise the complexity of his hand / arm weaponry with more grooves in the arms
Having him have an idle with the glow of the star spirit inside flicker around to emphasise his true nature perhaps?
Yeah have his arms transform more into the guns, not quite Transformers style but maybe like Samus’s arm cannon in the Prime games (panels shifting and glowing and stuff)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wow, that's an ingenious observation. I never thought about it, but you're right. Pit evolved in a very organic way in accordance with his series and art style. It only makes sense that Geno would follow the Mario style.
Yeah, but the question now is how that sort of logic would result. The current Mario style is very much on expressiveness(Something I am sure all of would like to see with Geno), but how do you make a wooden doll expressive? IT worked back in the day, but now it's kinda harder to visualize in high definition. I am sure Sakurai and his team would figure something out though.

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
Yeah have his arms transform more into the guns, not quite Transformers style but maybe like Samus’s arm cannon in the Prime games (panels shifting and glowing and stuff)
As I may have mentioned once, the irony here is that this probably means his arm shifting will resemble Mega Man’s in a way (cue tired arguments about Geno is a Mega Man clone in the distance)

Makes me wonder if his pummel will be a typical punch or whether they’d go for cannon or finger gun to the head

That said I think Geno's redesign doesn't need much changes, but I think it'll look better if Geno's cloak extends downwards to his feet. Imagine Mr Dark from Rayman or Batman's cloak. I feel that'd work well with Geno, make him look a bit more like a mage character. Overall he should look like a doll, like imperfections in the craftsmanship. Maybe some wear and tear.
I’d hope Gaz kept his Geno action figure in better care than that it’s not like there a K Rool descent into madness analogue for a worn out scuffed cape :p

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Can somebody post the Mii hat leak video please? I think I remember a visual glitch on the Mallow hat when the Mii Brawler attacked Ken with dash attack that didn't happen when recreating it in training mode, butiIt was a while ago, and I only looked on my phone, where there wasn't a really good quality, and I cannot find it anymore.
It was claimed early on by people trying to disprove the CacoMallow post when it first surfaced that the Mallow Hat would turn into the Pirate Hat for a single frame. This is impossible, since replacing a model replaces the model in it's entirety, it doesn't just magically transform back for a single frame, and no hat is known to transform into a different hat for any reason. After some analysis, it was shown to not be a glitch, it's just the Assist Trophy going in front of his hat when he dash grabbed it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As I may have mentioned once, the irony here is that this probably means his arm shifting will resemble Mega Man’s in a way (cue tired arguments about Geno is a Mega Man clone in the distance)

Makes me wonder if his pummel will be a typical punch or whether they’d go for cannon or finger gun to the head
I think the pummel would be a typical punch just so one of the throws can lead into him rocket punching the opponent away.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Which is why the conversation should be related to Geno on a thread called Geno Discussion.

https://smashboards.com/forums/general-social.10/
https://smashboards.com/threads/a-social-thread.484266/page-3403#post-23724045

We have these. Use them.

Edit:

People who feel like they just have to say something are doing just as much to get this shut down as any troll. Ignore, report, we'll deal with it. Stop thinking you're doing anything but making it worse.
Sorry, no need to be even a bit harsh. I mean, we all have our moments.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, but the question now is how that sort of logic would result. The current Mario style is very much on expressiveness(Something I am sure all of would like to see with Geno), but how do you make a wooden doll expressive? IT worked back in the day, but now it's kinda harder to visualize in high definition. I am sure Sakurai and his team would figure something out though.
I'm imagining that Geno will need to have more moving parts on his body, especially his face to show a wider range of emotions. As others have said, he could have more moving panels on his arms, legs, and body to realistically shift into gun (and possibly knife) weapons. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Karakuri robot with metal joints and such but having wood everywhere else. Google Yugioh Karakuri images to see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I'm sorry for the way I acted, everybody. Both in Star Road and in here. There are multiple times when I went way too far out of line, and I've definitely felt like I acted toxic towards others on those occasions. I'm just someone who tends to get annoyed easily, and I definitely tend to take things at face-value, so bait/trolling is a bit of a problem. If someone uses this as ammo against me then fine, but at least I was honest.

Just wanted to clear that up before I become a permanent lurker in this thread like before I joined SB. Again, I apologise. I'll still be in Star Road and pop up in other support threads like Doomguy's and Chief's

That said I think Geno's redesign doesn't need much changes, but I think it'll look better if Geno's cloak extends downwards to his feet. Imagine Mr Dark from Rayman or Batman's cloak. I feel that'd work well with Geno, make him look a bit more like a mage character. Overall he should look like a doll, like imperfections in the craftsmanship. Maybe some wear and tear.
Don't worry about it buddy it's okay, i get annoyed easily too so i understand how you feel. btw would you guys rather Geno being quiet or have voice acting?

collater333

Smash Rookie
It was claimed early on by people trying to disprove the CacoMallow post when it first surfaced that the Mallow Hat would turn into the Pirate Hat for a single frame. This is impossible, since replacing a model replaces the model in it's entirety, it doesn't just magically transform back for a single frame, and no hat is known to transform into a different hat for any reason. After some analysis, it was shown to not be a glitch, it's just the Assist Trophy going in front of his hat when he dash grabbed it.
To my knowledge, the "Mii Costume Leak" has yet to be disproved or debunked in any way, to this day.

So right now it's...inconclusive as to whether the leak is fake or real.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
This thread is over. We had a good run, everybody. Time to move on.
I just gotta say this is possibly the worst take someone could have on this rule change.

I doubt any mod is going to get ban happy over people talking about normal newcomer speculation, especially Geno related discussion. The issue was 3 pages devoted to whether The Last Jedi was a good movie or not, which happened. This is a character support thread and should follow the same rules as one, just because these 15 year old discussions have gotten stale doesn't give the thread an excuse to go extremely offtopic.

Anyways, Geno is great and it'd be absolutely surreal to finally hear Xander Mobus announce "Geno Wins" at the end of a Smash match. I think Geno might have minor grunts and explosion sound effects, but I could see Sakurai making most of his attack sound effects being twinkling star sounds or something like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom