• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
User warned for spam
I dont know if I'm staying here as a regular. It all depends how restrictive things are gonna be.

What is this "Spirits clarification" people are talking about?

I've talked about this argument with people like wynn before, and I'm going to repeat it again.

It is totally okay to find character picks disappointing. Heck, even though I am totally content with Ultimate's roster, there are still some characters I'd rather have. Unfortunately, however, Smash is never gonna have a perfect roster for all. There is always gonna he a character left out. And on the topic of Nintendo "researching characters people want." ...um... the Smash Ballot says hello. We got all character in Smash history returning, Ridley, Daisy, the Belmonts, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Isabelle, as well as Banjo & Kazooie BECAUSE of the Ballot. Sure, Sakurai COULD always pick someone like say Isaac and not Incineroar, or like Sora rather than Terry. ...but honestly, why should Sakurai do that? Not every character should be the most requested because then that'd get predictable and boring. I DO think a balance is important. Yes, getting the Ridleys, and the King K. Rools, and Banjo & Kazooies are definitely treats... but sometimes I like those Mr. Game & Watchs, and those R.O.B.s, and Duck Hunts, and Terrys, etc. I feel like those wacky WTF make Smash great. The fact that Nut only big shots like Mega Man can get in, but also smaller franchises like Pikmin or Xenoblade Chronicles. I think, in fact, that having smaller franchises not as requested is more representative of gaming as a whole. You can't always have huge juggernauts. Sometimes you gotta give a spotlight to the smaller guys.

Ultimately, I do understand the sentiment of wanting more fanservice. Your feelings aren't completely baseless and selfish or anything. But Sakurai has already given us so much (and we'll most likely get 2-3 more fanservice characters), that I just want the man to so what makes him happy. I say this constantly, but the man went to work with carpal tunnel and another time with a fricken' IV drip. THAT is him caring. As such, I want the man to love what he does and put in characters he also wants. He has said and shown that he loves to please us, but he also likes doing his own thing since Smash is his baby, ya know?
If you are going to go obscure route, at least pick characters on Nintendo consoles. Joker and Terry are not even Nintendo characters. ROB, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, etc are characters. Also Joker and Terry tend to have more of an adult theme (I guess) while the other characters are cartoony platforming characters that fit better with Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer if Geno was overhauled in the same fashion as Peach (new dress), not Pit (complete redesign). He needs some updating, but it'd be best to keep his classic SMRPG look mostly intact.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am still a skeptic when it comes to Cacomallow but the silence from modders in general is a little strange. You would think after a month and a half, someone would want to show their community how they did it.

I also don't believe for a second that a Mallow hat means Geno is a guarantee to be playable. He could unfortunately be coming with a Mallow costume being made. As unfortunate as that would be, that seems to be just our luck when it comes to Geno and Smash Bros lol

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
Random thought which I’m not sure our resident star bunbun mama Ovaltine or anyone else has brought up - what sort of musical instrument would Geno play? Would he favour a big band brass instrument (although Mario has sax, Peach trumpet and Toad the trombone as per 3DW OST), or would he follow his fellow cosmic ally Rosalina and go for an electric guitar? Maybe he’s a percussionist with a passion for xylophones and harps for their celestial sounds? I can’t see him being a woodwind player as it might strike too close to home for an instrument l made of a similar material as himself (flutes and recorders need not apply)

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
In terms of sound effects I think Geno should be 100% silent in terms of voice acting; I'd prefer to see him be kind of like Mega Man or Pac Man - no vocal sounds whatsoever. I'm kind of a purist in that I feel like if he didn't have a voice in his original game that could be heard by the player, he shouldn't have one in Smash. Plus, it would ruin the ideas that people had in their head of what they think he sounds like.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
This thread has always been my favourite on the website. Despite this, I don't wanna have to tread on eggshells here by risking accidentally going "off topic" so I'mma lurk and dip out. Not a fan of how this thread has taken a turn to be honest, I've enjoyed being able to chat about all sorts with like-minded Genobros and gals up until now.

I will say, I'm feeling good for Geno's chances come the first 'post-fighter pass' announcement so I'll rock in to hopefully celebrate in the probable January direct.

Cheers guys !

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
These are unfortunate times, I always saw our discussions about other characters as "good luck" vibes.

(and since DLC characters come with spirit boards, Geno's is easy, just throw in some SMRPG characters like Jonathan Jones, Booster, or ya boi Boshi!)
The Axem Rangers group would also make a great spirit for Geno’s Spirit Board as well, so would Frogfucius.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno having SNES sound effects would be charming but I maybe he could have some more creative sounds to go with him. Give him the sounds of an airsoft gun for his finger shot or more glittery stuff for his star gun/Geno beam

Nicnac

Smash Ace
User warned for spam
Also Joker and Terry tend to have more of an adult theme (I guess) while the other characters are cartoony platforming characters that fit better with Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.
Weren't you praising Snake and Cloud, arguably as/more mature characters?
I am not as mad at the leakers as I am at Nintendo for being so secretive and for giving us divisive characters instead of researching the characters people want. Smash team did so well with 3rd party picks at the start going with Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Cloud.
One could also argue Ryu is as adult as Terry. It's OK when you personally like the character, I suppose.
EDIT: Belmonts as well, moreso Richter.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Don't worry about it buddy it's okay, i get annoyed easily too so i understand how you feel. btw would you guys rather Geno being quiet or have voice acting?
I definitely want to hear what Geno sounds like!

Also, I want at least one of his taunts to be his laughing animation, as such;

Seeing this in HD would blow me out of my chair.

domriver

Smash Lord
I think some voice acting would be good, just because he does speak in the game, even if it's just text. Not sure who would be the VA.
I was thinking of this also just dont know exactly how his voice would sound.

Geno having SNES sound effects would be charming but I maybe he could have some more creative sounds to go with him. Give him the sounds of an airsoft gun for his finger shot or more glittery stuff for his star gun/Geno beam
The sounds from SNES would make sense but enhanced of course but his voice.. I really dont know. D:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
It was claimed early on by people trying to disprove the CacoMallow post when it first surfaced that the Mallow Hat would turn into the Pirate Hat for a single frame. This is impossible, since replacing a model replaces the model in it's entirety, it doesn't just magically transform back for a single frame, and no hat is known to transform into a different hat for any reason. After some analysis, it was shown to not be a glitch, it's just the Assist Trophy going in front of his hat when he dash grabbed it.
Thank you. I actualy wasn't thinking of the "pirate hat". When I recreated it in training mode, I could clearly see the face of my Mii behind the assist trophy, but it may be because it's not as zoomed out, and the video is of a lower quality. I think I'll test it some more.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
If you are going to go obscure route, at least pick characters on Nintendo consoles. Joker and Terry are not even Nintendo characters. ROB, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, etc are characters. Also Joker and Terry tend to have more of an adult theme (I guess) while the other characters are cartoony platforming characters that fit better with Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.
You didn't really address much of what I said. Instead focusing in on one point and largely disregarded the rest it seems.

Also, may someone please explain this "SNK Spirit confirmation" thing and how this helps out Geno?

Multiple people, like myself, have asked and no one has explained it.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Look at the game graphics for comparison.
Done. Snake and Cloud are far more realistic than the stylised looks of Persona or the spritework of Fatal Fury.
SNAAAAAAA.jpg
cloud2.jpg
PERSONAAAAAA.jpg
Fatal Fury.jpg
I'm dropping this now, it's off topic. Anyway, I would love it it Geno's sound effects were ported directly from SMRPG. Give him some more retro charm, y'know?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
You didn't really address much of what I said. Instead focusing in on one point and largely disregarded the rest it seems.

Also, may someone please explain this "SNK Spirit confirmation" thing and how this helps out Geno?

So have you heard about the Mii Costume leak that PapaGenos got? That guy sent him a list of SNK characters and there was some miscommunication and everyone thought they were supposed to be costumes, but it was actually a perfect list of Terry’s spirit board. So that lends credibility to the Mii Costume list (which includes Mallow and Smithy costumes)

pinshadow

Smash Lord

It helps the credibility of the mii costume leaker since it's the same guy, but honestly I don't see why it even needed any boosting, it got 4 random costumes right and had Mallow, Smithy, and the Chocobo in the same list, so unless he threw those in there as a troll I don't see how those aern't coming.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Character I want: Rayman

Add for the fans: Geno

Make a friend happy: Doomguy

Underrepresented series: Dr. Eggman

Joke character: Glover

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I am still a skeptic when it comes to Cacomallow but the silence from modders in general is a little strange. You would think after a month and a half, someone would want to show their community how they did it.

I also don't believe for a second that a Mallow hat means Geno is a guarantee to be playable. He could unfortunately be coming with a Mallow costume being made. As unfortunate as that would be, that seems to be just our luck when it comes to Geno and Smash Bros lol
I see your point but if the demon mallow leak is real I would mean the mii list is most likely real. And if the mii list is real then we should also get a smithy mii. I highly doubt they would make that many miis for a spirit.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace

gotcha fam:

Okay, I did get permission and this will blow your minds. I actually talked to the guy who talked to the Mii costume leaker who talked to him who talked to Papagenos. Got it memorized? Okay, so I talked to this guy and he showed me the original messages he got for both Mallow/Smithy and the Banjo costumes and all the SNK stuff. As a recap, it was said that Terry's costumes would be: Geese Howard, Haomaru, Nakoruru, "Classic SNK costumes", and Kyo. The problem with this is that, reading the original message, the guy never said that these were costumes. "Costumes" was actually a typo and simply meant characters. Why's that important? It wasn't a costume leak... It was a spirit board leak! The person who read this misinterpreted the original message, meaning the leaker wasn't wrong, he was right because he forgot to specify in his message what the list actually was. It was Terry's spirit board, which he got 100%!
This puts that Mii costume leak (Mallow/Smithy one from July) in a better position.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Maybe when Geno moves around the stage, his puppet body could make the wood clacking noises that the marionette enemies make from the Subspace Emissary in Brawl.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Random thought which I’m not sure our resident star bunbun mama Ovaltine or anyone else has brought up - what sort of musical instrument would Geno play? Would he favour a big band brass instrument (although Mario has sax, Peach trumpet and Toad the trombone as per 3DW OST), or would he follow his fellow cosmic ally Rosalina and go for an electric guitar? Maybe he’s a percussionist with a passion for xylophones and harps for their celestial sounds? I can’t see him being a woodwind player as it might strike too close to home for an instrument l made of a similar material as himself (flutes and recorders need not apply)
Violin!
In my opinion at least..

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Spam warning issued
Anyone else miss Burb?

Ngl, he was pretty entertaining imo.

*Hides in bunker

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I think I’m gonna leave for awhile. I wanted to give this a chance but its clearly not gonna work out. Im gonna hold my tongue on some things, but there’s one thing I have to say, and I’ll probably get a warning for this. Trying to restrict us to 2 or 3 social threads is ridiculous. I’d like to see where in the rules it says I can’t make my own social thread. You might as well turn off the ability to make your own threads unless they get approved. And like some other users have said, it feels like we’re being punished for the actions of trolls

I wish you all the best and I hope Geno gets in soon. I’ll probably join that discord group when I get the chance. I’ll come back once he’s in and we’re free to discuss whatever on here.

Keep fighting the good fight

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anyone else miss Burb?

Ngl, he was pretty entertaining imo.

*Hides in bunker
I wouldn't bring this up, considering this is something that we can't talk about anymore.

Anyway, what do you guys expect for Geno when it comes to music?

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I wouldn't bring this up, considering this is something that we can't talk about anymore.

SMRPG music is a given. Forest Maze, battle theme, boss theme, the works. It’d be cool if they added music from other Mario RPGs too (more Paper Mario music especially)

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Given how stingey SquareEnix tends to be, I think it's likely we'll only be getting two tracks. Putting aside the two more obvious ones, I think I'd like to see Weapons Factory, the final boss theme, or maybe the theme for Nimbus Land so we can make some real authentic Simpleflips stages in Stage Builder.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss and that's it lol I genuinely think we have a greater chance of getting an SMRPG stage with him than we do more than 2 pieces of music as SE is gonna SE. I'd love to be wrong though and get some other bangers in there especially a remix or two of songs we wouldn't expect.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss and that's it lol I genuinely think we have a greater chance of getting an SMRPG stage with him than we do more than 2 pieces of music as SE is gonna SE. I'd love to be wrong though and get some other bangers in there especially a remix or two of songs we wouldn't expect.
Screw the second track! I say let it be Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming. (Second phase, that is)

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm definitely a little late to the party ever since the thread got reopened so I just want to say a few things:

1. Thank you to all the mods for taking care of the whole thread situation. It is very much appreciated.

2. Ever since the whole leaking uncertainty happened since last month, it's once again been a rollercoaster of a ride as to when Geno might actually be announced as a DLC character. However, just like when the Mallow and Cacodemon leak came out, I once again feel like Geno is much closer to being a DLC fighter a lot sooner than later. So I'm going to very much look forward to it once it actually happens.

3. Regarding what music Geno would come with, definitely Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss, though I would love to hear the Culex battle music, as well as the Barrel Volcano theme and maybe even a medley or remix of something like Fight Against Smithy. Honestly, the game has way too many great songs.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Do we think Geno's stage will be a Mario series stage or a separate Mario RPG song category with maybe only two songs? I think it'd be nice to have Paper Mario/M&L music in a Mario RPG stage and Beware the Forest Mushrooms or a Mario RPG Battle Medley possible on assorted Mario stages like Delfino, Galaxy, Mushroomy Kingdom, etc. but with how Square is with music I wonder if they'll agree to that.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I’m really excited for fatmans big Geno recap essay coming up. There is a pretty overwhelming avalanche of things to be excited about regarding Geno’s chances here.

What would be the first thing you would do upon downloading Geno? Classic mode? Training mode? His spirit board (assuming post pass guys get one)? Straight into online like an absolute madlad?

I’d probably go in training mode and have a surreal out of body experience just moving around with him, and then move onto Classic mode and the spirit board, and then go into full tryhard mode learning everything I can. I’d likely take a few days off work solely to play with him uninterrupted

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
If we were getting music tracks with Geno, I really hope it falls on the composer of the soundtrack when it comes to negotiation. We know Yoko Shimomura is already working with the Smash Ultimate team so I imagine she'd be delighted to include as many songs as they'd like. Although I admit to being unfamiliar with how the actual legal process would go when negotiating for music tracks.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I believe SE's music issue has to do with how they license it with some of their composers, so I'm sure Geno will come with more than two tracks since Yoko Shimomura has worked with Nintendo on the Mario & Luigi series and is already a composer for Smash.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Also, as for what Fatman said regarding the SNK board clarification and how it helps Geno, can someone please elaborate on this? I've been mostly away but still want to keep the spark alive for Geno.
Basically, the person who reported to Papagenos about the Mii Costumes for Banjo (Rocket Grunt, Goemon) also reported on Mii costumes for Mallow and Smithy down the pipeline, Said person also said Crash was number 5, but no idea if that's happening. Mind you this was before the CacoMallow videos happened.

Anyway, this person also sent him a list of SNK characters. We all assumed those were Mii Costumes to come with Terry, but the selection turned out to be entirely wrong, so we all dismissed this leaker as a one time thing

But the other day clarification came in, the names he leaked wasn't costumes, it was the spirits that Terry came with, and that was right on the money.

So this clarification means the leaker was correct all along, which strengthens his claim of Mallow and Smithy mii costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom