• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’m gonna be honest, and I might as well since we are getting so emotional....
Before I read this thread and got into it, Grno was #11 in my tier list, I only wanted him because of Terminal Montage, but when Banjo got in, I decided I would check the Geno thread, and something about it interested me, and I’ve been a lurker ever since.
Since then I learned more about Geno, Ovaltines speeches taught me his personality and I vibed with it, I heard everyone’s wishes and their appreciation for geno and I felt that, His Moveset potential is great, and after hearing Fatmans awesome stories, the only character that I want more than Geno is Sackboy himself, all this love and I’ve never even played Super Mario RPG! This community is awesome and I love being a part of it, a valuable member.
Thank you guys, Geno is on his way.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Anyone mind catching me up on what this is all about.

Did we actually get a clearer photo or is this another attempt to debunk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It sucks sometimes just how massive the states are. If it was more European sized we could have organized a big victory party for release day and come together to let hell loose for one night to revel in everything the community has accomplished, Maybe have a big double elim geno only tourney to see who the #1 superfan really is around here. It would be a great to get to meet all you wonderful people for real. Especially the long time vets like chief and fatman and get the first-hand perspective on how being stuck on Mr. Sakurai's wild ride since pre brawl has been.

I'd tell my geno story but its not particularly grand by comparison. He just has a gun for an arm and I always thought he would fit in well in smash. ;)
Well America is a massive country and even then it's not taking into consideration the people in this thread who live outside of the US so why don't we just throw a big online celebration?

Send artwork and love towards Sakurai with a big letter of thanks like K. Rool fans did, Share some stories about each other like why we love and how we found out about Geno, Organize a massive tourney Geno-Only tourney for people in this thread, Reminisce about Geno's journey to Smash, etc. etc. We could have it held online and on Geno's release date. I don't know how plausible that would be but it would be fun.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Yes. I love Popeye and he kind of falls into the ongoing theme of being weird but people like him. He's just himself and doesn't feel like he has to be anyone else. He doesn't care that he's old, bald, and has a face that looks like you squeezed a grapefruit too hard. "Eye amsk wut eye amsk an' that's all dat eye amsk, I'm Popeye da Sailor Man." Also, yes, I smoke a pipe a few times a year and it is real:

Wait......that's what you look like?

.....-sigh-.......now I have to change all my fanfics. Be back in several days.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I’ve spent a very large chunk of my life afraid to really, for lack of a better term, let my nerd out in fear of people thinking that I’m weird, and Fatman I just want to say that I think you’re like the coolest guy ever and I really respect how unabashedly yourself you are.
I feel that. I find it to be one of the most challenging things, being comfortable in your own skin. That said, it's also a really worthwhile endeavor and something that I try to work on every day. One of my inspirations is Sean Doolittle, a pitcher from the Washington Walgreens Nationals. He's a huge nerd and just wears it on his sleeve even in the world of pro sports.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone mind catching me up on what this is all about.

Did we actually get a clearer photo or is this another attempt to debunk.
Another attempt at a debunk. It's better than past attempts but it's still not 1 to 1. It's kind of funny because most people barely care whether it's real or not anymore after roughly two weeks of no one claiming it and people trying to replicate it.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I certainly can't claim to be among the biggest Geno supporters in this thread, but I adore SMRPG for being one of my first experiences with turn based RPGs and it's a game that I've played to death over the years. Seeing Geno make it in as a playable character would spark a surge of nostalgic emotions in me, and that's honestly the best kind of feeling that I absolutely love to experience with my Smash reveals.

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
Random note, but is anyone else hoping that if the Mallow/Smithy Mii Costume thing is real, that the Smithy Costume be for a Mii Swordfighter and have Exor as his sword? That's what I'm hoping for.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Random note, but is anyone else hoping that if the Mallow/Smithy Mii Costume thing is real, that the Smithy Costume be for a Mii Swordfighter and have Exor as his sword? That's what I'm hoping for.
As cool as that would be, I'm guessing it'll just be his normal hammer. I mean, he IS as smithy after all.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm a bit late joining in, but in regards to the subject about our personal reasons for wanting Geno in Smash, you guys pretty much summed up many of my own reasons. I can't say I have an emotional reason for wanting him in, unlike many of you, which I admire. I just really, really enjoyed SMRPG as a kid, and Geno just happened to be my favorite character from the game; a game that was already filled with fun, unique characters that were totally unlike what we'd seen from the Mario series up to that point.

But if there's one reason I want Geno is Smash, more than anything, it's because I've always felt that Geno is one of the most unfortunate video game characters in history, because of the ownership situation he's in; and that him being in Smash would be only way he could escape that and make a meaningful comeback, even if only for the moment. That is something he DESERVES.

I don't think people realize how unfortunate he is. Sure, in comparison, you have characters like Banjo, who ended up in a cruddy situation, owned by a bunch of knuckle-heads who don't understand the appeal of his N64 games; but at least Banjo always had the potential to make a comeback. Microsoft always has the option to remaster his games, or make Banjo-Threeie or use him in anything. He may have made his name on the N64, but he's not a Nintendo character, he was never bound to it.

Geno, on the other hand, is a Mario character, owned by Square-Enix. All these years, and I can't help but feel angry that it still remains that way. Even if a Square-Enix developer designed him; anyone who has ever played SMRPG, recognizes him as a MARIO character. He was designed for a Mario game, to fit into the Mario aesthetic, designed with lore that makes him part of the Mario universe because of his association with Star Road. He is bound to the Mario franchise. He IS a MARIO CHARACTER, DAMMIT. And yet, he hasn't been able to be a part of the Mario franchise all these years, all because Square-Enix kept the rights to him. Rights to a character they can NEVER USE for their own games because everyone and their dog who know who Geno is, recognize him as a Mario character, and he would be blatantly out-of-place anywhere else. They have nothing to gain by owning him or lose by selling him to Nintendo, and yet they persist on keeping him in this limbo, all while Nintendo (seemingly) doesn't care enough to do anything about it. So instead of Geno getting to star in the other Mario RPG games that he rightfully belongs in, getting to kart race and play sports with the other Mario characters, or getting invited to Mario's parties... he's locked away, gathering dust, neglected. Everything interesting and awesome about him, and all the potential he has, wasted. Only an absolute miracle can save him from that hell.

That's what Smash is though. It's a miracle. It's a once-in-a-lifetime game that has already done the impossible and broke down the barriers, uniting video game worlds that we never imagined in our wildest dreams would crossover, acting as a godly celebration of video games as a whole, and is massive, passionate love letter from Mashiro Sakurai to anyone who has ever held a video game controller. Even if Geno doesn't make it in, god bless that absolute madman for what he's created. But because Smash has brought down those barriers, this really does feel like Geno's last chance to ever escape from his prison. The moment Square-Enix got involved in this, the planets aligned and that thousand-year door opened for Geno; that small door that he can barely seem to make it through, but we've all been reaching through with our support and optimism, hoping to pull him out. All the hope we've held, all the hype that even got Sakurai himself a little interested in Geno, has led up to this defining point.

If Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate, I can't see him ever making it into Smash, even if there is a future game. That door will slam shut, and we'll probably never see Geno appear in any video game ever again. Lloyd, Sora, Doomguy, Crash, Hayabusa? Yeah, you know what, those are all wonderful characters to have in Smash; and even though my fellow Geno supporters will probably hate me for saying this, I'm willing to admit that any one of those characters is more fitting to be in Smash over Geno, for how recognizable, popular and beloved they, and the games they hail from, are. But those characters, all of them, regardless of if they get into Smash or not, have a future. Geno, as the way things are, doesn't. That's why I choose to support him over all the other characters in the end. Him being in Smash would be the celebration that his character, and the SMRPG Series as a whole, deserves; and maybe even open the door for him to appear in future Mario games. It may even have a positive effect on the SMRPG Series going forward (and lord knows it needs it, considering how far off the rails Paper Mario has gone, and the weird place Mario & Luigi are in right now with AlphaDream's bankruptcy).

Ironically enough, I guess that ended up being an emotional reason anyway, go figure. And I apologize if it just sounded like I was venting at some points. But that's the reason I'm in this, and why I can't tolerate it when people needlessly hate on Geno and his supporters, all because they don't "get" Geno. We're all invested in this for our own reasons, some of us emotionally; so it's not easy to see where we're coming from, because you have to be able to see it through our eyes to do so. What you see as an irrelevant, overhyped side-character in your eyes, is also a long-lost friend to us, who we want to see get the justice he deserves, after all these years...
Pretty much the exact same reasons as me, well said friend.

It feels like the perfect time to have Geno come in too. Assuming our hopes and dreams have been realized, imagine.
In scary and uncertain time for Mario RPG's as a whole, when it seems like we're in our darkest hour in regards to the future of these games,
we get a trailer in which that Geno spirit finds an empty doll and comes to life and BOOM. He's a playable character in smash.
The stage is so perfectly set thematically man. Possessing a toy just like in smash 64, while also fitting perfectly with the whole spirits thing to begin with.
On top of everything else, what with Geno deserving a chance to come back (not that I don't appreciate what Sakurai's done so far, just ideally) and everything else you mentioned... The timing is just too perfect. He'd fit Smash bros' theming like a glove, and his inclusion might just give Mario RPG fans the break that we've needed in terms of Nintendo throwing us a bone (more in regards to paper Mario, Alpha dream's bankruptcy was, of course, just an unfortunate circumstance).

For those reasons, and the ones you've also expressed, I want him more than any other character. After that, I will take anyone and everyone. I believe in our boy.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So for some reason I’ve found myself in the mood to play Super Mario RPG again, no idea why that is :ultpacman:

Me when I mess up the defense timing on a Goomba:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
At this point, I'm just gonna keep waiting for them to be officially announced. Again, it just feels like they're in and we just don't know it. By them, I mean of course:

-Geno
-Doom Slayer
-Crash Bandicoot
-Heihachi Mishima (... or Lloyd... or Klonoa :nifty:)
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Leon Kennedy (... or Phoenix Wright... or Dante)

Cheers Geno Bros, and may you all continue having a great weekend. :seuss:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I know I’m kicking a dead horse but looks like more disinformation is spreading

He claims that its a “clearer picture of the leak” when its cleary someones mock up with worse textures.

Last edited:

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
All this joy and fun about Geno has been making me want to draw him again... well, quickly anyway. I'm looking at getting a better computer so i can start using those programs, thanks all for being great though with the fan art!
more geno nonsense.jpg

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So are any of you guys interested in this?
https://hiddenpalace.org/
All month the website Hidden Palace has been showcasing unreleased Sonic stuff that they've recently found. So far, they've showcased a Sega CD demo disk, prototype versions of Sonic CD, Sonic Chaos prototypes, and some more Sonic 2 prototypes, and today they'll be showing off the last thing they have via their Twitch channel.
https://www.twitch.tv/hiddenpalace/
It's at 2PM PST/5PM EST if you want to watch it live.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Yes. I love Popeye and he kind of falls into the ongoing theme of being weird but people like him. He's just himself and doesn't feel like he has to be anyone else. He doesn't care that he's old, bald, and has a face that looks like you squeezed a grapefruit too hard. "Eye amsk wut eye amsk an' that's all dat eye amsk, I'm Popeye da Sailor Man." Also, yes, I smoke a pipe a few times a year and it is real:

This is what i expected you to look like, not that

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So for some reason I’ve found myself in the mood to play Super Mario RPG again, no idea why that is :ultpacman:

Me when I mess up the defense timing on a Goomba:
I've felt the desire to revisit SMRPG as well, but I don't feel like digging up the SNES and the wires required to play it.

Sure would be nice if Nintendo updated NSO with the game sometime soon...

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
So basically Franky from One Piece in a Geno costume?
"On the next One piece! A SUPER combatant for SUPER smash bros!? Franky takes the stage!"

EDIT:
Come to think of it, Franky's technical debut DID have him in an outfit with some similar elements to Geno's. And I've never seen them in the same room together.
You don't think...

For reference:
https://www.giantbomb.com/images/1300-526733

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I already made a promise to myself that I'll replay SMRPG on my SNES mini in case Geno gets confirmed.

Then I'll probably be in the mood to go through the Mario and Luigi games like I was with Paper Mario after my first playthrough of SMRPG. I'd do it all now but I still have to finish A Link to the Past again. Geno can't come soon enough man:bobomb:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This is what i expected you to look like, not that
Which is funny because whenever people rag on me on 4chan or Reddit, they're always like "yeah, Fatman, that fat ****, kissless virgin, turbo Geno nerd. Watta ****bird." And then I'm like...

45463036_10205155313159692_4965185328949231616_o.jpg

"Why yes, I do support Geno for Smash; how could you tell?"

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Which is funny because whenever people rag on me on 4chan or Reddit, they're always like "yeah, Fatman, that fat ****, kissless virgin, turbo Geno nerd. Watta ****bird." And then I'm like...

Hey man I don’t want to alarm you but I think there’s something wrong with that pumpkin

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice

Evidently because you're an upstanding, awesome person. A clear indicator of a member of the Geno supporting community.
Granted, I don't know the intricacies of the history regarding Geno and his support, but given the posts I've seen already from you, on top of the reactions you're getting, I like this thread already.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman

You look like That Guy With The Glasses/Nostalgia Critic.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
My gut is telling me that Doomguy is gonna be a Terry situation, as in the insiders know next to nothing before the reveal (or in Terry’s case the site leak). Id/Bethesda has been waaaay too buddy buddy with Nintendo on the Doom content recently. I think he may have just started development, and we wont see him until like #8 around E3 but I think he’s coming

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
I know I’m kicking a dead horse but looks like more disinformation is spreading

He claims that its a “clearer picture of the leak” when its cleary someones mock up with worse textures.
Man BlockedContent sucks. Reports on everything, constantly plugging themself/their merch at the beginning of vids, title baits almost everything. At least LaxChris does more to warn viewers that it’s just rumors and doesn’t force us through self promos at the beginning of vids.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I've felt the desire to revisit SMRPG as well, but I don't feel like digging up the SNES and the wires required to play it.

Sure would be nice if Nintendo updated NSO with the game sometime soon...
Maaaan I’d love Super Mario RPG portable. And Paper Mario 1-3. And every Mario & Luigi in HD. And Earthbound and Pikmin. And just... just every Nintendo game should be on the Switch. It sucks so much that the console where they stopped doing the VC is the one it’d be perfect for.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’m still gonna pretend that Fatman is literally just a Blue Popeye with sunglasses, his real life self will be erased from my memory
Also Doom for smash

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , you mentioned your profile picture's coloured sunglasses are intentional- did you make/commission the profile pic yourself or just get lucky online?

EDIT: it just dawned on me that Fatman is over a foot taller than me oh god he's huge

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , you mentioned your profile picture's coloured sunglasses are intentional- did you make/commission the profile pic yourself or just get lucky online?
Lucky online. I think it was like the 3rd or 4th Popeye picture I've ever used for a profile pic and I don't think I've changed it in like 6 or 7 years.

Also, Crash + Doomguy at E3 probably wouldn't be a bad guess. Definitely fits the metaphorical shoe if you consider E3 Smash announcements.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Also, Crash + Doomguy at E3 probably wouldn't be a bad guess. Definitely fits the metaphorical shoe if you consider E3 Smash announcements.
You've also stated that if your theory for 5 holds true, then you think you can guess 6 and 7:
Part of my elation comes from if my theory about #5 is correct, I'm probably right about 6 and 7 too, meaning there's a really solid chance that we'd be getting Geno by E3. But still, let's hold fast and see how things go down over the next couple of days.
So does this mean that you think if Geno gets revealed, it's post-FP5 but pre E3?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
What if Geno is used to close out the development of DLC fighters?

Sure, the wait for Geno would really suck, but could you imagine a better character choice to end things on?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
"On the next One piece! A SUPER combatant for SUPER smash bros!? Franky takes the stage!"

EDIT:
Come to think of it, Franky's technical debut DID have him in an outfit with some similar elements to Geno's. And I've never seen them in the same room together.
You don't think...

For reference:
https://www.giantbomb.com/images/1300-526733
They DO both have guns in their hands...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You've also stated that if your theory for 5 holds true, then you think you can guess 6 and 7:

So does this mean that you think if Geno gets revealed, it's post-FP5 but pre E3?
Yes. Based on how long Geno has been part of the conversation, I think he's more than likely before E3. My personal theory is that E3 and beyond will predominantly be new companies to Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom