• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystofr

Smash Rookie
Guys, for me GENO is in. Just wait and see. If it isn’t on this Direct; it will be on the next. But I can feel something about this Direct.

Get ready for that CGI trailer + Geno Awakens + Mario RPG remixes + Forest Maze into stage with his gameplay. Sakurai knows it, Nintendo knows it. Fans have been pleased before. It will sell. Fans will be still pleased tomorrow.

Just my personal feeling, but for me Geno is IN. Just wait and let Sakurai does what he does best.
I'm optimistic as hell and fullheartedly approve of your optimism, but I'm still thinking it is what they said it is, and barely anything more. I still have hope for next direct or announcement?

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I think if Geno is in, he won't be in this fighters pass or at least fighter #4. Terry and Ryu Hayabusa are nearly confirmed (especially Terry). Id be surprised if this was a red hearing. Im super hopeful that he'll be in though but I have some doubts which I can't get over for some reason. I pray that he's in though

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I Mean, lets be honest, what else could it reference? Anything obvious?, Sabi is usually pretty open with their leaks. The "Witch Puzzle book" and bear along with it was extremely blatant. I saw them post a while back on twitter about risk of rain 2, and it seemed like they referenced the starling leak but I'm not sure. "birdie" https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1163252518987546624?s=20
Maybe, but "a little birdie told me" is a pretty common phrase about rumors (pretty much the same as "word on the wind says" as far as I know), so that could just be a cute way of avoiding saying "so my source at Nintendo said" to get the ninjas off their back. Even then, I just looked up Risk of Rain 2 and it was apparently more or less shadowdropped a day ago. Since Sabi is generally more open about hints after the fact (like how they confirmed their vague tweets were indeed about Terry once Verge spilled), I imagine they would have been like "yeah, this was the starling" after the shadowdrop. And from what I've seen on Sabi's discord, they've made no mention of what starling means yet, so I'm willing to bet this is still up in the air

Edit: also, as far as I can gather from digging through old discord messages, Sabi doesn't seem to know what the starling means either (they could just be saying that to get people off their back, but I'm gonna assume for now that they just don't know). I'm not sure how much that affects this speculation, but it is a real possibility.

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Maybe, but "a little birdie told me" is a pretty common phrase about rumors (pretty much the same as "word on the wind says" as far as I know), so that could just be a cute way of avoiding saying "so my source at Nintendo said" to get the ninjas off their back. Even then, I just looked up Risk of Rain 2 and it was apparently more or less shadowdropped a day ago. Since Sabi is generally more open about hints after the fact (like how they confirmed their vague tweets were indeed about Terry once Verge spilled), I imagine they would have been like "yeah, this was the starling" after the shadowdrop. And from what I've seen on Sabi's discord, they've made no mention of what starling means yet, so I'm willing to bet this is still up in the air

Edit: also, as far as I can gather from digging through old discord messages, Sabi doesn't seem to know what the starling means either (they could just be saying that to get people off their back, but I'm gonna assume for now that they just don't know). I'm not sure how much that affects this speculation, but it is a real possibility.
Could you link me to Sabis discord or is it private? Also I agree. It seemed like they put it in a way just to talk like that, rather than referencing the leak. I have hope. Also does anyone know who this originally came from in terms of Sabi's sources?

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Could you link me to Sabis discord or is it private? Also I agree. It seemed like they put it in a way just to talk like that, rather than referencing the leak. I have hope. Also does anyone know who this originally came from in terms of Sabi's sources?
They link to their discord in their twitter bio: https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi

My digging was pretty much just searching "starling"

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't there also like a "companion theory" or something? Basically that the DLC characters have a buddy, or "companion", in the banner: Joker and Morgana, Hero and Slime, and well, Banjo and Kazooie. Is this still a thing? Because I've started thinking about it again with the whole Terry situation.
There in

download-1.jpg

Musubi

Smash Apprentice

I think Sunday Fatmanonice said that the Source recently told the private inner circle what the starling picture means. If I'm wrong about this though, someone please correct me. I went back and looked at his old posts just to make sure but I could have misinterpreted or misread.

This has had me wondering how Fatman is feeling. If the picture does mean Geno is in Smash, he has been hiding it very well because his recent posts have shown that he believes the Fighters Pass will finish with Terry and Ryu. If this is the case that the starling references Geno, then I think it's probably been eating at him that he can't tell us and that the way he's been speculating recently has been to make Geno's reveal the ultimate surprise for us. Like I said though, because of the way he's been speaking about the last 2 characters of the pass makes it seem like the picture probably isn't about Geno.

Alternatives though are that the picture could mean Geno is a character outside the pass or something relating to SMRPG but not Smash related.

******Fatmanonice please do not respond to this. I don't want you to get in trouble saying anything regarding my tinfoil hat theories about you.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So something dawned on me. If we see Terry revealed fighting Incineroar in the same ring (same CGI), then that one leak with Ryu H is bound to happen. It's the logical train of thought.

So if that happens, then Ryu seems likely with continuing Simon's trailer. Now the big question is, with these trailers being reused....what about the Ridley trailer getting a continuation? I have a hunch we will see that being used as well. Either for a bonus fighter or to reveal a second pass.

Let's see what happens!
I'm going to guess that Doom Guy will take Ridley's trailer. It does fit within the context of his world with the whole sterile, futuristic laboratory setting and Ridley is the closest thing to a demon in Smash Bros.

But really Ryu Hayabusa's inclusion hinges on whether the insiders heard Ryu Hayabusa specifically for Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Man I had a great sad meme idea that I can't share till I am sure enough people saw the Steven Universe movie or else no one is going to get it.:laugh:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm going to guess that Doom Guy will take Ridley's trailer. It does fit within the context of his world with the whole sterile, futuristic laboratory setting and Ridley is the closest thing to a demon in Smash Bros.
And while I don´t mind Doomguy (or any other Bethesda character for that matter), I still don´t get why people are so sure to believe that it's him or someone else from the Bethesdas list of characters. That producer at Bethesda downright admitted that they had talked to Nintendo. It was a straight forward answer to a straight forward question. Wayforward, aka the guys behind Shantae who is very interactive with there fanbase about Shantae in Smash Brothers, had to be radio silent until she was revealed to be a spirit. Yes, Phill Spencer said yep towards a Banjo in Smash related question. But that question was about him being okay with them joining, not is Banjo in Smash/have talked to Nintendo about Smash. Why do you think Grant had to try and back peddle when people thought a comment of his was confirmation of Banjo in Smash? If they didn´t care about doing their best to have stuff indoors,,, then why does Sabi a C&D on her from Nintendo then or the other thing I mention occur? It makes no legal and logical sense with how they operate that they give Bethesda benefits that others don´t have

At best, this was Bethesda trying to subtly push their characters for Smash, not actual confirmation that they have someone in.

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Man I had a great sad meme idea that I can't share till I am sure enough people saw the Steven Universe movie or else no one is going to get it.:laugh:
If you share it can you put it in a spoiler? I still need to catch up on the latest season before watching the movie.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
This has had me wondering how Fatman is feeling. If the picture does mean Geno is in Smash, he has been hiding it very well because his recent posts have shown that he believes the Fighters Pass will finish with Terry and Ryu. If this is the case that the starling references Geno, then I think it's probably been eating at him that he can't tell us and that the way he's been speculating recently has been to make Geno's reveal the ultimate surprise for us. Like I said though, because of the way he's been speaking about the last 2 characters of the pass makes it seem like the picture probably isn't about Geno.
He is an enigma wrapped inside a mystery and shoved inside a riddle... a turducken of intrigue.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
And while I don´t mind Doomguy (or any other Bethesda character for that matter), I still don´t get why people are so sure to believe that it's him or someone else from the Bethesdas list of characters. That producer at Bethesda downright admitted that they had talked to Nintendo. It was a straight forward answer to a straight forward question. Wayforward, aka the guys behind Shantae who is very interactive with there fanbase about Shantae in Smash Brothers, had to be radio silent until she was revealed to be a spirit. Yes, Phill Spencer said yep towards a Banjo in Smash related question. But that question was about him being okay with them joining, not is Banjo in Smash/have talked to Nintendo about Smash. Why do you think Grant had to try and back peddle when people thought a comment of his was confirmation of Banjo in Smash? If they didn´t care about doing their best to have stuff indoors,,, then why does Sabi a C&D on her from Nintendo then or the other thing I mention occur? It makes no legal and logical sense with how they operate that they give Bethesda benefits that others don´t have

At best, this was Bethesda trying to subtly push their characters for Smash, not actual confirmation that they have someone in.
A simple "Oh yeah" to the question if Bethesda talked with Nintendo doesn't say anything. It's neither a confirmation or a deconfirmation as it doesn't reveal that Doom Guy would be in Smash Bros. That's different from Sabi's C&D where she would confirm and reveal all of Nintendo's games for E3.

I'm just saying that if there is a Ridley trailer sequel, Doom Guy would be the one to take it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t really want them to continue character trailers. It was really cool when they pulled the trick once to connect King K Rool and Banjo & Kazooie given how remarkably well those two work together in the Smash sense... but it’s kind of a genie out of the bottle and I just don’t think it’s going to have the same impact. All these really cool characters deserve awesome trailers that can emphasize their own traits and do new crossover stuff with different characters. There’s so much more to be explored rather than continuing trailers (and I don’t think any of them warrant continuing because they’re just setups for, you know, fighting in the actual game).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
A simple "Oh yeah" to the question if Bethesda talked with Nintendo doesn't say anything. It's neither a confirmation or a deconfirmation as it doesn't reveal that Doom Guy would be in Smash Bros. That's different from Sabi's C&D where she would confirm and reveal all of Nintendo's games for E3.
Again, the creators of Shantae had to be radio silent about her inclusion as a spirit... so why should Bethesda be able talk openly about it with an answer that at best could indicate as a "maybe" someone like Doomguy is in?.. sorry but as someone that has been under an NDA before, that's just BS. Unless those talks didn¨t go anyway, the Bethesda rep would have to deny it instead of saying "maybe.

If I´m wrong, awesome for Doom fans, but as someone that has been under NDAs before, as well as noticed stuff like the Shantae spirit inclussion... yeah, that comment is a red flag more than anything right now

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I don’t really want them to continue character trailers. It was really cool when they pulled the trick once to connect King K Rool and Banjo & Kazooie given how remarkably well those two work together in the Smash sense... but it’s kind of a genie out of the bottle and I just don’t think it’s going to have the same impact. All these really cool characters deserve awesome trailers that can emphasize their own traits and do new crossover stuff with different characters. There’s so much more to be explored rather than continuing trailers (and I don’t think any of them warrant continuing because they’re just setups for, you know, fighting in the actual game).
honestly, I agree. It does such a disservice to the other characters to recycle old trailers.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Today's Direct's Smash Content. Gonna go ahead and predict it, lol.

Cursed Mumbo is the bad while Terry is the "alright."

Attachments

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Want I expect to see on the Smash side of things in today's Nintendo Direct:

- Banjo & Kazooie DLC release date.

- A little overview of Banjo & Kazooie's moveset.

- Mii costumes that will come along with Banjo & Kazooie.

- SNK rep reveal trailer.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
I guess it's inevitable, but I'm really hoping that Terry isn't the pick. I know it's a lock based on who's spoken and who hasn't, but maybe there's a mechanic we're missing (Loved the idea of the team fighter like Pokemon Trainer) to make it a bit more interesting. Regardless, it's a Smash announcement so I'm hype. Would love it if Banjo came out TODAY or TOMORROW though.

Still rooting for you Geno <333333333

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I just want this roller coaster over already...I really wish someone would just give a definitive yes or no.

And I hope like hell that in the future smash bros, Either nintendo, Or sakurai, just tell everyone flat out who's getting in. No more making fans build hype while agonizingly waiting, Looking up constant pieces of evidence for and against their most wanted characters. Just say "these are the dlc characters that will eventually get released."
I saw a few other people saying things like this and I have to say, I completely disagree. It'd be a terrible, idiotic business decision from Nintendo (taking months of guaranteed organic, enthusiastic promotion and hype from your fanbase and blowing it all in one shot), but speculation is FUN. IMO roster speculation is EASILY the most fun aspect of each new Smash title (aside from, y'know, actually playing them)

As for rounding out the roster through the WoL slots, assuming Terry and Ryu are locks, here's what I'd like:

1. 2B
2. Geno
3. Ameterasu
4. Crash
5. Dante
6. Rayman
7. Nightmare from SC
8. Sora
9. Spyro
10. Doom Slayer/Master Chief

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Terry's hat, Hero's sword, and Joker's mask, and Banjo's backpack with Plant sticking out. That's how Geno should be drawn.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Here's a conundrum for you. You get to pick the next fighters pass, but they have to be wild out-there picks that nobody (or at least fewer than average people) expects. I'll start.

1.) Ecco the dolphin
2.) Juno and Vela (lupus can be a taunt)
3.) Gex
4.) Elvis the alien (not that one, the one from perfect dark)
5.) Buck Bumble

link2702

Smash Champion
1. Ristar
2. John Torque
3. The Lost Vikings
4. Arthur from ghosts and goblins series(yeah I know he’s not “too” out there, but still)
5. Lolo and lala

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Here's a conundrum for you. You get to pick the next fighters pass, but they have to be wild out-there picks that nobody (or at least fewer than average people) expects. I'll start.

1.) Ecco the dolphin
3.) Gex
5.) Buck Bumble
Gonna try to at least vaguely justify these:
1. Plok (retro wtf pick that’s mostly an excuse to bring in the composer)
2. Sam and Max (we’ve yet to get any point and click adventure representation)
3. Pokémon Ranger (serves as a rep for Pokémon spinoffs, straddles gens 3 and 4, and sort of represents DS hardware in the same way WFT does for the Wii)
4. Toadette (a vaguely plausible Mario choice I’ve heard nobody talk about. Nintendo’s been pushing her more and more over the years, so Smash could be the next step.)
5. Steve (not from Minecraft, but the generic custom skater from THUG! Tony Hawk himself will never make it in, but I still believe his games deserve something, so a custom skater makes the most sense imo)

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
1. Kao the Kangaroo
2. Kameo
3. Prince of Persia
4. Someone from Battalion Wars
5. Glover

EDIT: Also Dig Dug if I had to replace one of these 5

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1. Boy & Blob(i'd love to have these two in smash they can work really well but they are also owned by Wayforward)
2. Glover(another platformer character who's got a few tricks up his sleeve)
3. Dry Bones(Does this count?)
4. Simon from Cry of Fear(eh, why not)
5. Morgan from Fire Emblem(To have the whole family together)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

1.) Ecco the dolphin
3.) Gex
5.) Buck Bumble
1. Skellboy
2. Brick Road (EarthBound)
3. Mighty Bomb Jack
4. A creature from Spore
5. Goat Simulator goat

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Here's a conundrum for you. You get to pick the next fighters pass, but they have to be wild out-there picks that nobody (or at least fewer than average people) expects.
1 - Din (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons)
2 - Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
3 - Wart (Super Mario Bros. 2)
4 - Young Cricket (WarioWare: Shove-It-Up-Your-Own-Ass-Game)
5 - Tabuu (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

1.) Ecco the dolphin
3.) Gex
5.) Buck Bumble
1) Sgt Cortez from TimeSplitters
2) That weird tapir guy from Cocoron
3) Klaymen from the Neverhood/Skullmonkeys
4) George Stobbart from Broken Sword
5) John Raimi from Geist (GameCube)

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Now that I've caught up, I'd like to truly say Hello Everyone! Took a suggested and healthy break from spec after E3 (even though I wouldn't admit it at the time, I needed to work on stuff).

I'm still optimistic for Geno, though for bonus content more than the pass. Though i still think the pass is possible.

I think Ryu is probable but not a lock. Aside from the Geno, Porky and Skull Kid wants,i really want to see Doom Slayer in here.

If theres a second pass, I think he's likely likewise with Geno.

Though going sort of back to Fatmanonice's cinematic theory, i still think Geno could be revealed as a continuation of Ridley's trailer. Still find it so strange, Megaman, and Zero suit being in the sm4sh mii costume reveal.

And then they just so happen to be together for the Ridz trailer?

There's still part of me that Hope's Nakaruru is the SNK based on fighting style alone.

EDIT: My mistake, Mario not in the mii costume trailer. But with Samus and Megamn havin gun arms, and Sakurai often making that a major quality of Geno as fit for Smash, Geno makes sense to me. Similar to Duck Hunt and Banjo parallel, people say he would play like Samus or Megaman

And Mario being there would reference Mario Rpg, or add to the continuity of him already knowing Geno

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
My odd picks

#1 Croc (Croc)
#2 Buck Bumble (Buck Bumble)
#3 Joey Claire (Hiveswap)
#4 Glover (Glover)
#5 The Noid (Dominos)

owjies

Smash Journeyman

1.) Ecco the dolphin
3.) Gex
5.) Buck Bumble
1.) Alex (River City Ransom)
2.) Tecmo Bowl Player (Tecmo Bowl)
3.) Sauron (Primal Rage)
4.) Bad Mr. Frosty (Clay Fighter 63 1/3)
5.) Abe (Oddworld)

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

1.) Ecco the dolphin
3.) Gex
5.) Buck Bumble
1. Bub and Bob (The little dragons from Bubble Bubble, plays like Ice Climbers)
2. Dirk the Daring (Knight from Dragon’s Lair, grandfather of point and click games)
3. Frogger (Would play with frog inspired fighting moves)
4. Sukapon (Fighter from Joy Mech Fight, one of Nintendo’s first fighting games)
5. Balloon Fighter (From Balloon Fight, a retro pick and would be a nice tribute to Satoru Iwata)

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
1. Bub and Bob (The little dragons from Bubble Bubble, plays like Ice Climbers)
2. Dirk the Daring (Knight from Dragon’s Lair, grandfather of point and click games)
3. Frogger (Would play with frog inspired fighting moves)
4. Sukapon (Fighter from Joy Mech Fight, one of Nintendo’s first fighting games)
5. Balloon Fighter (From Balloon Fight, a retro pick and would be a nice tribute to Satoru Iwata)

I want to add my take from this proposed question as well.

Marina from Mischief Makers, Glover, Bubbleman and Vivian. Balloon Fighter is a great idea as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom