• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Yeah, that should be something to mention here as well,

Operation StarFall did an interview with Smash Player and Geno Fan, Wishes last month and we finally had a chance to piece together our interview.

Go check it out!
I already did, and I think we should do one with papagenos papagenos as well. Ask him similar questions, though obviously some of the Smash ones should be youtuber questions or general gamer ones.

Would be cool to get an interview with D1 or MVD as well. I couldn't care less about Alpharad, but getting him to talk about Geno would be pretty good for us.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I already did, and I think we should do one with papagenos papagenos as well. Ask him similar questions, though obviously some of the Smash ones should be youtuber questions or general gamer ones.

Would be cool to get an interview with D1 or MVD as well. I couldn't care less about Alpharad, but getting him to talk about Geno would be pretty good for us.
EDIT: Wait, Y'ALL CAUSED THE THREAD TO GET LOCKED?!

GUYS WTF?!

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Okay guys, FILL ME IN!

I've been gone since 8AM.

What has changed other than a Direct apparently happening ON THE MUTHAF-ING 5TH?!
Terry Bogard is gonna be announced tomorrow.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
people were feeding a troll and things took it's natural course. also depending on your timezone it's the 4th so even better!
Oof, I'll be at work for another two hours, and I really want to make a reaction video, so I will probably not be here until later to celebrate.

Y'ALL BETTER NOT BE GLOOMY GUSS'S NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Oof, I'll be at work for another two hours, and I really want to make a reaction video, so I will probably not be here until later to celebrate.

Y'ALL BETTER NOT BE GLOOMY GUSS'S NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!
I promise a minimal amount of gloom. No greater than a glum glen

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Glad the thread is back up. I finally got caught up. I would love to hear some Metroid Prime 4 details tomorrow but I think that's highly unlikely.

If fighters pass 2 is to come I totally agree about not doing stages and Mii costumes and instead doing echo fighters. I also agree that I don't want them to stop doing third party reps but would also want to see some first party make it too. If fighters pass 2 is also 5 characters maybe: Crash, Isaac, Geno, Namco rep (Llyod?), and Rayman.

Also J JarBear I believe you were talking about getting some stuff together to present to Nintendo to encourage more DLC. I would be interested in contributing to that if you decide to move forward with it hopefully other people here feel the same way. Nice thinking.
Yep, I will finish up my new thread in the general discussion tomorrow at the office. I plan on trying to go to each new comer speculation thread and request people to participate and spread the word. I have a gmail account ready to go to take submissions.

To save some research on my end, can someone find the quote from sakurai mentioning third party licensing? I believe it’s from a famitsu column. Esseitnally it talked about how getting those licensing was difficult?

I hope the inbox gets filled up!

EDIT: Found what I was looking for.

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
And so we begin anew. If there is a fighters pass 2.0, what characters do you think would be added?
Seeing as how Waluigi has been a big request since Brawl and how Nintendo publicly acknowledged the want for the character (This has rarely happened before during the game's development), I'd say he's a safe bet. A similar case happened to Isaac too as we know Nintendo was HUGELY taken aback when people were mad over no playable Isaac (As well as no new Golden Sun stuff in general). These two characters both trended on Twitter and news sites multiple times because of this as well. These two are by far the most wanted assist upgrades so I would expect them (I also REALLY want them). I also think Geno will happen as Sakurai knows the want for him and Nintendo acknowledged his want too. Those three are also the last long requested characters (Isaac and Waluigi starting in Brawl and Geno dating back to Melee) so I would expect them finally making it in with this pass. I think Rex and Pyra and/or Springman could also make it in too since Sakurai did want to include them but couldn't due to their designs and concepts not being completely final during Ultimate's product plan. I don't know who else could make it in but I really want Shadow and Bandana Dee. I could actually see Bandana Dee making it in as character 4 and Shadow being a free character for buying the pass (He would also be available to buy on his own but you can get him for free with the pass) with him most likely being a Ken styled echo or a semi clone. I do 100% expect Waluigi and Isaac though.

My dreams are is more info on Bayonetta 3 with Kid Icarus content involve.
Kingdom Hearts Port.
MonolithSoft new project that looks to be a medieval fantasy.
Give us those SNES Online games you monster!
Golden Sun Remake of the first two game combine together.
The mystery of that Mario watermelon picture.
Waluigi getting in Luigi's Mansion 3.
Bring back some old IPs.
Retro Studio... doing something... hopefully.
And let's get some more Wii U ports.

I don't expect much, Nintendo has been on a role with making a lot of games and getting them out quick so it's hard to really expect much, which is all good.
I like how you think how the Direct could play out. You actually share some of my out there ideas too.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Actually, there is one other thing that can be helpful. We know that data miners found 16 unused WOL slots. Subtracting Plant that made 15 available slots. Has there been any confirmation if Joker's Alt took up an additional slot or Hero takes up 4 due to its models?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Actually, there is one other thing that can be helpful. We know that data miners found 16 unused WOL slots. Subtracting Plant that made 15 available slots. Has there been any confirmation if Joker's Alt took up an additional slot or Hero takes up 4 due to its models?
Apparently Hero only took up one of those slots.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Can you send the link to that? On my big DLC post I want to link stuff so people don’t just take my word on things.
Fatmanonice confirmed that Hero and Joker's alts didn't take up any slots. Datamines have also confirmed this.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so wait

they're accounting the 31 or so slots for characters then? do THOSE account for alts?

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't there also like a "companion theory" or something? Basically that the DLC characters have a buddy, or "companion", in the banner: Joker and Morgana, Hero and Slime, and well, Banjo and Kazooie. Is this still a thing? Because I've started thinking about it again with the whole Terry situation.

Last edited:

Luis27

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't there also like a "companion theory" or something? Basically that the DLC characters have a buddy, or "companion", in the banner: Joker and Morgana, Hero and Slime, and well, Banjo and Kazooie. Is this still a thing? Because I've started thinking about it again with the whole Terry situation.
Companion? Holy crap guys, Invazor zim confirmed, Gir is the companion

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If there is a thread, post, or something that states that about the slots and each character fills just one, id greatly appreciate it to add those links on my post.

I’ve found the one for Smash 4 that showed the slots which we know were filled by dlc from Push Dustin.

I would appreciate the assistance And I should be able to complete the post tomorrow. Either before or after the Direct.

Basically ... spread the word! Not just on this forum, but to your friends and anyone who likes/plays smash and wants more.

Lol it’s going to be a nightmare for me, but worth it.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So going with the safe assumption that we're only getting Terry Bogard and no other SNK character as a tag team I believe (regardless if it was a continuation trailer or not), his trailer is going to end with his hat falling off, Ken catches it, toss it back to Terry and says "Are you okay!?" And they rush in to fight.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
So going with the safe assumption that we're only getting Terry Bogard and no other SNK character as a tag team I believe (regardless if it was a continuation trailer or not), his trailer is going to end with his hat falling off, Ken catches it, toss it back to Terry and says "Are you okay!?" And they rush in to fight.
Honestly, considering there's already a precedent for trailer continuation, it's a pretty safe guess, all things considered.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So something dawned on me. If we see Terry revealed fighting Incineroar in the same ring (same CGI), then that one leak with Ryu H is bound to happen. It's the logical train of thought.

So if that happens, then Ryu seems likely with continuing Simon's trailer. Now the big question is, with these trailers being reused....what about the Ridley trailer getting a continuation? I have a hunch we will see that being used as well. Either for a bonus fighter or to reveal a second pass.

Let's see what happens!

Luis27

Smash Apprentice
So something dawned on me. If we see Terry revealed fighting Incineroar in the same ring (same CGI), then that one leak with Ryu H is bound to happen. It's the logical train of thought.

So if that happens, then Ryu seems likely with continuing Simon's trailer. Now the big question is, with these trailers being reused....what about the Ridley trailer getting a continuation? I have a hunch we will see that being used as well. Either for a bonus fighter or to reveal a second pass.

Let's see what happens!
If the Ridley Trailer gets a continuation, i think is gonna be Geno, you know, Ridley in that trailer almost kills Mario

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Let's see what happens!
I wouldn't say that would be a logical train of thought. Having Terry show up in the Kencineroar trailer makes sense based on who the character is, his fire ability and his rivalry with Ken. That's an idea that just about anyone can think of, I'm sure some of us on this board thought that trailer would play out like the without looking at the leak. While there is a chance that Ryu Hayabusa might come to Smash Bros I honestly don't believe it his trailer would be connected to Simon's trailer. They do a great job in terms of theming with Banjo being K Rool because of the DK series was tied to Rare and Banjo appeared in Diddy Kong Racing, Luigi in a Dracula's Castle, Ken & Incineroar fighting character that have boxing gloves in a ring, Hero with Dharkon and saving Link. Simon and Ryu Hayabusa only real connection is that they're both NES Gems of that era, and that's really it. If anything Ryu Hayabusa trailer would involve Greninja and have the both of them recreate the opening of the original Ninja Gaiden NES game.

I wouldn't take any 4chan leak seriously.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Then, what that image of the starling means?

Its over, isnt it?
I want to hear peoples thoughts on this, some say its over, some say it isn't- I hope its a reference to Geno but what do you guys think?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say that would be a logical train of thought. Having Terry show up in the Kencineroar trailer makes sense based on who the character is, his fire ability and his rivalry with Ken. That's an idea that just about anyone can think of, I'm sure some of us on this board thought that trailer would play out like the without looking at the leak. While there is a chance that Ryu Hayabusa might come to Smash Bros I honestly don't believe it his trailer would be connected to Simon's trailer. They do a great job in terms of theming with Banjo being K Rool because of the DK series was tied to Rare and Banjo appeared in Diddy Kong Racing, Luigi in a Dracula's Castle, Ken & Incineroar fighting character that have boxing gloves in a ring, Hero with Dharkon and saving Link. Simon and Ryu Hayabusa only real connection is that they're both NES Gems of that era, and that's really it. If anything Ryu Hayabusa trailer would involve Greninja and have the both of them recreate the opening of the original Ninja Gaiden NES game.

I wouldn't take any 4chan leak seriously.
Allow me to correct myself on one thing. It is the most logical train of thought...for the Smash fan base who know of the 4chan leak. Speculation will be geared towards that line of thinking if/when it happens. Though I do agree with your points, old bean!

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
If there is a thread, post, or something that states that about the slots and each character fills just one, id greatly appreciate it to add those links on my post.

I’ve found the one for Smash 4 that showed the slots which we know were filled by dlc from Push Dustin.

I would appreciate the assistance And I should be able to complete the post tomorrow. Either before or after the Direct.

Basically ... spread the word! Not just on this forum, but to your friends and anyone who likes/plays smash and wants more.

Lol it’s going to be a nightmare for me, but worth it.
It's not from a single link, but just from a bunch of stuff I know. Feel free to link this post in your post or whatever if you want?

In Smash 4, there were empty "Character IDs" in the code that were found as soon as the game released. It turns out, these were meant for the DLC fighters. At launch, there were 9 character IDs in Smash 4's data. Later on, an extra one was added that was empty. By the time all of the DLC fighters released, every single one of those slots were filled. Bayonetta took up 2, Cloud took up 2, Corrin took up 2, and the other four characters each took one, for a total of 10. You can pretty obviously infer what a character ID is from that alone, but if you can't...

A character ID needs to be seperate if there's anything different at all in the programming. The most obvious example of this is characters with an alternate version for two genders, such as Corrin or Wii Fit or Robin, etc. This also includes alternate designs, such as Cloud's FF7/Advent Children skins, or Bayonetta's designs from both games. To give you a better idea, Bowser Jr. takes up EIGHT character IDs, one for each Koopaling. In Smash Ultimate, Hero obviously takes up 4, and Joker takes up 2. Piranha Plant DOES NOT take up 2, despite having a pot for some skins and a pipe for others. This is likely because the changes don't have any additional effects or real processing changes.

In Smash Ultimate, again, unused empty Character IDs were found in the data at launch. Exactly 29 of them. You may have heard it was 30, that was incorrect. There were EXACTLY 29. I counted them myself, in this case. :p After Piranha Plant and Joker released, and they filled up as many of those slots as we expected, it can be inferred that the other 26 would be filled up too. We're now at 22, after Hero.

Seperately from the Character IDs, after Piranha Plant was released, they added a function to put DLC fighters into the Adventure Mode, World of Light. When Piranha Plant was put in this way, he brought 15 unused slots to do the exact same thing. These 15 slots are DIFFERENT from Character IDs, as they SPECIFICALLY MEAN CHARACTERS. They're used for unlocking the characters in WoL, so alt skins are not a factor here.

While there's no real precedent to say the 15 WoL slots are definitely going to be used, there IS a precedent to assume the 29 character IDs WILL be used, because they were in Smash 4. Smash 4 was made by the same programming team, and thus would likely follow similar structures and rules for how they do things. Since 29 character IDs is quite a lot, you could assume we'd get at least 10-15 characters just to keep everyone at an average of 1-3 character IDs each. This lines up really well with the WoL slots, of course.

Keep in mind, all of this is just information DIRECTLY DATAMINED FROM THE VIDEO GAME. Below is some speculation on what this likely means.

Piranha Plant was likely meant to be in the base game of Ultimate, judging by his Palutena's Guidance and some other things. This would mean the original plan was likely to have ALL DLC be part of a fighter pass, and thus multiples of five. We can pretty safely assume from this that more than one Fighter Pass had been planned since before Ultimate was released.

Because the WoL slots could mean echo fighters, and because planning out 15 full unique fighters around two years in advance seems ridiculous, it's very likely, at least in my opinion, that at least 5 of these WoL slots belong to echo fighters. My personal theory is that we're going to get a second fighter pass that has echo fighters bundled in, instead of stages.

That's about all there is to say on it, I guess.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Guys, for me GENO is in. Just wait and see. If it isn’t on this Direct; it will be on the next. But I can feel something about this Direct.

Get ready for that CGI trailer + Geno Awakens + Mario RPG remixes + Forest Maze into stage with his gameplay. Sakurai knows it, Nintendo knows it. Fans have been pleased before. It will sell. Fans will be still pleased tomorrow.

Just my personal feeling, but for me Geno is IN. Just wait and let Sakurai does what he does best.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I want to hear peoples thoughts on this, some say its over, some say it isn't- I hope its a reference to Geno but what do you guys think?
Assuming it's related to Smash, the only theory I could buy other than it referring to Geno is that it's Hayabusa (since starlings' main predators are called Hayabusa in Japan apparently), but that feels way too obscure imo. Like, there are better ways to hint at a character than requiring people to know the japanese name of a bird's predator. I can't really see it being anything other than Smash, since why would Sabi's source post an obscure clue so long in advance for any other game? No other game has a level of fervent speculation that could justify the hype and mystery.

So imo Geno for Smash is the most likely interpretation. Hayabusa is possible, but the clue would be weirdly and unnecessarily obscure (going well beyond the source's blue crab pic for Link's Awakening imo), and anything that isn't smash would feel kinda tone deaf and annoying on the part of the source.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not from a single link, but just from a bunch of stuff I know. Feel free to link this post in your post or whatever if you want?

In Smash 4, there were empty "Character IDs" in the code that were found as soon as the game released. It turns out, these were meant for the DLC fighters. At launch, there were 9 character IDs in Smash 4's data. Later on, an extra one was added that was empty. By the time all of the DLC fighters released, every single one of those slots were filled. Bayonetta took up 2, Cloud took up 2, Corrin took up 2, and the other four characters each took one, for a total of 10. You can pretty obviously infer what a character ID is from that alone, but if you can't...

A character ID needs to be seperate if there's anything different at all in the programming. The most obvious example of this is characters with an alternate version for two genders, such as Corrin or Wii Fit or Robin, etc. This also includes alternate designs, such as Cloud's FF7/Advent Children skins, or Bayonetta's designs from both games. To give you a better idea, Bowser Jr. takes up EIGHT character IDs, one for each Koopaling. In Smash Ultimate, Hero obviously takes up 4, and Joker takes up 2. Piranha Plant DOES NOT take up 2, despite having a pot for some skins and a pipe for others. This is likely because the changes don't have any additional effects or real processing changes.

In Smash Ultimate, again, unused empty Character IDs were found in the data at launch. Exactly 29 of them. You may have heard it was 30, that was incorrect. There were EXACTLY 29. I counted them myself, in this case. :p After Piranha Plant and Joker released, and they filled up as many of those slots as we expected, it can be inferred that the other 26 would be filled up too. We're now at 22, after Hero.

Seperately from the Character IDs, after Piranha Plant was released, they added a function to put DLC fighters into the Adventure Mode, World of Light. When Piranha Plant was put in this way, he brought 15 unused slots to do the exact same thing. These 15 slots are DIFFERENT from Character IDs, as they SPECIFICALLY MEAN CHARACTERS. They're used for unlocking the characters in WoL, so alt skins are not a factor here.

While there's no real precedent to say the 15 WoL slots are definitely going to be used, there IS a precedent to assume the 29 character IDs WILL be used, because they were in Smash 4. Smash 4 was made by the same programming team, and thus would likely follow similar structures and rules for how they do things. Since 29 character IDs is quite a lot, you could assume we'd get at least 10-15 characters just to keep everyone at an average of 1-3 character IDs each. This lines up really well with the WoL slots, of course.

Keep in mind, all of this is just information DIRECTLY DATAMINED FROM THE VIDEO GAME. Below is some speculation on what this likely means.

Piranha Plant was likely meant to be in the base game of Ultimate, judging by his Palutena's Guidance and some other things. This would mean the original plan was likely to have ALL DLC be part of a fighter pass, and thus multiples of five. We can pretty safely assume from this that more than one Fighter Pass had been planned since before Ultimate was released.

Because the WoL slots could mean echo fighters, and because planning out 15 full unique fighters around two years in advance seems ridiculous, it's very likely, at least in my opinion, that at least 5 of these WoL slots belong to echo fighters. My personal theory is that we're going to get a second fighter pass that has echo fighters bundled in, instead of stages.

just to put an assumption out there, I'm relatively sure the pipe/pot is purely texturing and not model related.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
just to put an assumption out there, I'm relatively sure the pipe/pot is purely texturing and not model related.
I'm fairly certain the pot is more of a cone and the pipe is a cylinder, but I guess that's possible. It might be a visual trick.

D

Deleted member

I'm fairly certain the pot is more of a cone and the pipe is a cylinder, but I guess that's possible. It might be a visual trick.
I was thinking only about the "holes" in the pot. I'll have to take a moment to actually look to see if there's a shape difference.

vivala

Smash Journeyman

I should really try to temper my expectations, but this gives me so much hope!

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Assuming it's related to Smash, the only theory I could buy other than it referring to Geno is that it's Hayabusa (since starlings' main predators are called Hayabusa in Japan apparently), but that feels way too obscure imo. Like, there are better ways to hint at a character than requiring people to know the japanese name of a bird's predator. I can't really see it being anything other than Smash, since why would Sabi's source post an obscure clue so long in advance for any other game? No other game has a level of fervent speculation that could justify the hype and mystery.

So imo Geno for Smash is the most likely interpretation. Hayabusa is possible, but the clue would be weirdly and unnecessarily obscure (going well beyond the source's blue crab pic for Link's Awakening imo), and anything that isn't smash would feel kinda tone deaf and annoying on the part of the source.
I Mean, lets be honest, what else could it reference? Anything obvious?, Sabi is usually pretty open with their leaks. The "Witch Puzzle book" and bear along with it was extremely blatant. I saw them post a while back on twitter about risk of rain 2, and it seemed like they referenced the starling leak but I'm not sure. "birdie" https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1163252518987546624?s=20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom