• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm hearing the pokemon portion of the direct is going to be lame.

Makes me wonder WTF they are doing with pokemon this generation.

All previous generations have been super hype and tons of info. This generation they've shown off almost nothing and what little they have shown off has been kinda lame. And it's been filled with controversy with the whole dex thing.
My biggest worry is that Sword / Shield was simply rushed to get mainline Pokemon onto the Switch. For the "Pokemon on your home consoles!" PR.

I mean, Ultra Sun / Moon was soon 2 years ago?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

All previous generations have been super hype and tons of info. This generation they've shown off almost nothing and what little they have shown off has been kinda lame. And it's been filled with controversy with the whole dex thing.
The word on the street about this Pokemon generation is that Gamefreaq is burned out and the relationship between GF and TCP isn¨t the best right now which I actually do believe in. GF being forced to crank these out almost on a FIFA level of time frame (VR Plant has stated that a DP remake will arrive next year). With X/Y is feeling so rushed as it is (I mean, it even had a game-breaking glitch that could corrupt your save file for a month or 2), with the same going for ORAS... and lets not talk about Sun & Moon where they needed a "definitive edition" (aka Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) to feel like a whole game... and then we have Town which looks like Gamefreaq actually had fun making.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

I was genuinely excited and looking forward to SwSh, then a friend of mine (who loves the Pokemon series way more than I do) came up to me and requested that I not support the game because of the whole Dex issue. He's the type to want to bring all of his previous pokémon to the next gen for breeding purposes and whatnot. So he's very upset by the lack of natdex.

Of course, that's not going into the principle of the Pokemon Company actually lying about how they're using the funds to make the animations of the game better than before (which they aren't), and how no one at Pokemon is admitting how GameFreak has split their development team in half so they can work on Town.

I don't mind the animation issue so much, I really don't care about how "amazingly animated it needs to look" (Pokemon has never been about the animation, people still loved it even when it was nothing more than static images), but I dislike that they're lying about where the money is going and using that as an excuse for the lack of natdex.

Of all the games it had to happen for, it was the first major console release in the series in over a decade.

My biggest worry is that Sword / Shield was simply rushed to get mainline Pokemon onto the Switch. For the "Pokemon on your home consoles!" PR.

I mean, Ultra Sun / Moon was soon 2 years ago?
That's what it looks like, honestly. And I'm upset, because the Gym Trainer battle theme is pretty awesome:

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

I mean, even beyond the whole dex controversy, Gamefreak's attitude towards the franchise just doesn't inspire any confidence in its future. For example, the new Galarian Pokemon forms/evolutions are cool and all, but what's the point of investing in a team with any of them when you know that they will likely never appear in a future Gen? What's the point of investing in ANY team when you don't know if you'll ever get all six (or four) Pokemon in a game together again? The entire appeal of the franchise has literally always been "Catch em all" and take your hard-trained, beloved, legacy Pokes with you on a brand new adventure with every new region. The reason why all previous generations were so hype was because you weren't losing equal to or more than you were gaining.

Basically, I could see Sword and Shield being a fairly enjoyable stand-alone game, but in terms of the franchise at large, it's a heavy blow to everything that came before. It kinda reminds of when Thanos vaporized half the universe. Was it necessary? Probably. Did it make the remaining universe better as a whole? It sure seemed to. But that doesn't mean that those that remained were happy about it. They knew damn well what they lost and were willing to fight to get it back. Had they never know the difference, things might have been turned out a completely different way, but the fact is they did. Same with Pokemon. Had we never known about National Pokedexes, triple battles, Mega Evolutions, Z-crystals, etc. then we would have been much easier to please. Unfortunately, this isn't the case and the sheer uncertainty of the franchise makes it far less appealing to invest in.

TLDR: Sword and Shield will likely still sell because it's Pokemon, but I for one still refuse to support the idiotic direction they're taking. I hope that at very least Gamefreak eventually makes an Ultimate Pokemon Stadium-type game where ALL pokemon can battle and be used for things like mini-games etc. Until then, I've pretty much checked out.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was genuinely excited and looking forward to SwSh, then a friend of mine (who loves the Pokemon series way more than I do) came up to me and requested that I not support the game because of the whole Dex issue. He's the type to want to bring all of his previous pokémon to the next gen for breeding purposes and whatnot. So he's very upset by the lack of natdex.

Of course, that's not going into the principle of the Pokemon Company actually lying about how they're using the funds to make the animations of the game better than before (which they aren't), and how no one at Pokemon is admitting how GameFreak has split their development team in half so they can work on Town.

I don't mind the animation issue so much, I really don't care about how "amazingly animated it needs to look" (Pokemon has never been about the animation, people still loved it even when it was nothing more than static images), but I dislike that they're lying about where the money is going and using that as an excuse for the lack of natdex.

Of all the games it had to happen for, it was the first major console release in the series in over a decade.

That's what it looks like, honestly. And I'm upset, because the Gym Trainer battle theme is pretty awesome:

Nessa is also totally my thing. I'm not into the whole "waifu" thing but I have a whole folder dedicated to her fan art

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know, Nintendo did post that cryptic message about (Mario) Sunshine. I wonder if they are going to include something about Sunshine in this direct?

SKX31

Smash Master

I'm a bit upset too, but we won't know exactly what happened. Did Nintendo exces pressure Game Freak on the matter? Did Game Freak themselves tell Nintendo "We can do Pokemon on the Switch, we promise! EZ MONEY Nintendo!" and then Nintendo or Game Freak themselves set a dumb time table? Having studied organizational theory as part of my college grad studies, I can say this: groupthink and overconfidence can easily take hold of decisions. I would not be surprised if that happened.

We know that Pokemon's going to sell gangbusters regardless, but I'd kinda prefer that they'd do a Metroid Prime 4. And I'm (somewhat) neutral and wait-and-see, just in case the final product's good. It's just that things don't seem right.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, even beyond the whole dex controversy, Gamefreak's attitude towards the franchise just doesn't inspire any confidence in its future. For example, the new Galarian Pokemon forms/evolutions are cool and all, but what's the point of investing in a team with any of them when you know that they will likely never appear in a future Gen? What's the point of investing in ANY team when you don't know if you'll ever get all six (or four) Pokemon in a game together again? The entire appeal of the franchise has literally always been "Catch em all" and take your hard-trained, beloved, legacy Pokes with you on a brand new adventure with every new region. The reason why all previous generations were so hype was because you weren't losing equal to or more than you were gaining.

Basically, I could see Sword and Shield being a fairly enjoyable stand-alone game, but in terms of the franchise at large, it's a heavy blow to everything that came before. It kinda reminds of when Thanos vaporized half the universe. Was it necessary? Probably. Did it make the remaining universe better as a whole? It sure seemed to. But that doesn't mean that those that remained were happy about it. They knew damn well what they lost and were willing to fight to get it back. Had they never know the difference, things might have been turned out a completely different way, but the fact is they did. Same with Pokemon. Had we never known about National Pokedexes, triple battles, Mega Evolutions, Z-crystals, etc. then we would have been much easier to please. Unfortunately, this isn't the case and the sheer uncertainty of the franchise makes it far less appealing to invest in.

TLDR: Sword and Shield will likely still sell because it's Pokemon, but I for one still refuse to support the idiotic direction they're taking. I hope that at very least Gamefreak eventually makes an Ultimate Pokemon Stadium-type game where ALL pokemon can battle and be used for things like mini-games etc. Until then, I've pretty much checked out.
I mean, there's still an inherent appeal to taking brand new Pokemon or forms through a region regardless if they end up in future games. Pokemon Sword and Shield, regardless of what you think of them, will be a contained experience that still allows you to experience a new region, and there is value in investing a team into any individual game. I don't have a living Dex, so this is how I've played previous Pokemon games. Play through all the content and be satisfied with that experience and then move on like I would from any other games. There's quite a few people who play like that.

I'm not defending Dexit in this post, but I am saying there is still plenty of value in investing in a team. You'll have new beloved Pokemon and they can't take your experiences away from you at that point (they can not have the Pokemon in future games, but that doesn't actually change the fact you may enjoy the Pokemon and you've already been on an adventure with them).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
i mean i'm still excited for swsh

In all honesty, I've found no reason to be upset with what we've seen of Swoosh so far. If anything, the games have only impressed me so far. Does the removal of the National Dex suck? Yeah, kind of, but as someone who never used Pokemon Bank in the previous games anyway (and frankly I don't see why anyone would want to run through every game with the same overlevelled mons), it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the games and we don't even know what or how many mons are being excluded yet. (And the list of in-game mons that we've seen in prerelease material alone is already quite massive.) I largely see the removal of the Natdex as a change that had to be made eventually - it's not like they can just keep adding mons forever, from a developmental or technical standpoint - and honestly, I'm not upset that it had to happen with SwSh. Maybe it's just me, but the main thing that I will always love about Pokemon is the core gameplay, building a team of unique and diverse mons I like and completing the game with them, and in SwSh, that looks to be there and better than ever, so I'm fully aboard the hype train.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, there's still an inherent appeal to taking brand new Pokemon or forms through a region regardless if they end up in future games. Pokemon Sword and Shield, regardless of what you think of them, will be a contained experience that still allows you to experience a new region, and there is value in investing a team into any individual game. I don't have a living Dex, so this is how I've played previous Pokemon games. Play through all the content and be satisfied with that experience and then move on like I would from any other games. There's quite a few people who play like that.

I'm not defending Dexit in this post, but I am saying there is still plenty of value in investing in a team. You'll have new beloved Pokemon and they can't take your experiences away from you at that point (they can not have the Pokemon in future games, but that doesn't actually change the fact you may enjoy the Pokemon and you've already been on an adventure with them).
Just like I said, I can totally see Sword and Shield being fun as a stand-alone game, and that's great for a lot of people. It's just that I used to play competitively so spending 100+ hours building a God-level team (or multiple teams) kinda sucks when you can't take it with you into the next Gen. Many of us veterans would rather have our Pokemon experience be a continuous one rather than a self-contained one-off.

D

Deleted member

I don't like the direction Pokemon has been taking for a long while. I was really fond of Black and White, but beyond that, only G/S/C has done it for me. To offer a counterpoint to what the appeal of the Pokemon franchise is, I don't think it's about bringing your old Pokemon with you. In every game, you're a brand new character in a brand new area that is separated from the other games not only by region, but by time and more recently there's an implication that you're separated by universe. The draw of the franchise is to explore, encounter new creatures, and become the region's best. This is one reason why in post Gen 1 games, the ability to trade from the old game is typically a mid to late game introduction.

I don't agree with their stance of not having all the Pokemon, but at the same time, it's getting to the point that we all knew Pokemon was going to get to - there's gonna be near about 900 of these darn things and the region's just not going to be big enough to hold them in unique ways. Pokemon already had a huge problem of version specific Pokemon, event exclusives, obscure locations, minigame exclusives and low encounter rates, I get it if the team wanted to try and tone it back for the newcomers to the series to feel like they completed a pokedex without having to jump through every hoop under the sun, and likewise, it isn't necessarily fair for the longtime fans to have to catch all the available pokemon to unlock the national dex as a reward for the newcomer completion they intended.

I haven't really been keeping up with Sword and Shield, as Pokemon has reached a point with me of just feeling boring to even hear about. The cover legendaries look horrible, the games are looking lazier than ever, the scenarios seem contrived and samey. Pokemon really is Nintendo's Call of Duty at this point, old and irrelevant as it is to call Call of Duty a near yearly release anymore, it's really saying something either way. There is no adventurous spirit in the design anymore, they don't try anything new or out there (no, a giant damage sponge pokemon encounter is not new or out there), and the stuff that they try in the past that people really love, they take away.

It's a cash cow, it'll always sell, and I have nothing but confidence in the franchise's future, even if it isn't confidence placed in quality.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
i mean i'm still excited for swsh

In all honesty, I've found no reason to be upset with what we've seen of Swoosh so far. If anything, the games have only impressed me so far. Does the removal of the National Dex suck? Yeah, kind of, but as someone who never used Pokemon Bank in the previous games anyway (and frankly I don't see why anyone would want to run through every game with the same overlevelled mons), it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the games and we don't even know what or how many mons are being excluded yet. (And the list of in-game mons that we've seen in prerelease material alone is already quite massive.) I largely see the removal of the Natdex as a change that had to be made eventually - it's not like they can just keep adding mons forever, from a developmental or technical standpoint - and honestly, I'm not upset that it had to happen with SwSh. Maybe it's just me, but the main thing that I will always love about Pokemon is the core gameplay, building a team of unique and diverse mons I like and completing the game with them, and in SwSh, that looks to be there and better than ever, so I'm fully aboard the hype train.
I understand and I can dig it. For me, the national dex represents more than just transferring overleveled mons from one game to another. It's about being able to create unique teams by mixing and matching pokemon from across the breadth of the franchise's history. I realize that you'll still be able to do that to a certain extent without it, but having my options limited kinda sucks.

Also dynamaxing looks like poop, and they could have achieved the same effect by just making more mega evolutions, which is something people wanted anyway. But that's just my opinion.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Edit: This is what they are doing
View attachment 236774

LOL $500 plush. Fans'll eat up anything.
I like Pokémon, but I’m not shelling out $500 for a plush, a bit too steep for my taste.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just like I said, I can totally see Sword and Shield being fun as a stand-alone game, and that's great for a lot of people. It's just that I used to play competitively so spending 100+ hours building a God-level team (or multiple teams) kinda sucks when you can't take it with you into the next Gen. Many of us veterans would rather have our Pokemon experience be a continuous one rather than a self-contained one-off.
As someone that has played competitively as well, I highly agree with this

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Even though Pokemon will never hit the peak it did with GSC (or HGSS) I still hope for the best.

I really just want all the starters (mainly buffs to Johto starters) to return and I'll be satisfied with Sw/Sh. Even with all the other issues and cut corners the game may have.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Seeing the Pokemon games become so **** over time makes me want to do a swandive off a ****ing cliff in Minecraft.
- Little over half of all Pokemon
- Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves replaced with a watered down combination of the two
- Looks like an upscaled Gen 7 game with a different lighting filter
- Most of the new Pokemon look straight up dumb, and the ones that don't probably won't be brought over to the next game(s)
- Team Yell
- Postgame is probably going to be the same unfinished garbage as before, with the same battle facility as usual, with the same 6 overpowered Pokemon on everyone's team when battling online.
- GTS will still be ****, with people asking for impossible Pokemon all the damn time and no way to search for Pokemon based on their natures
- Bringing Pokemon from previous games is so convoluted that it makes me wonder why I even bother playing these games at this point
- We're going to have to pay for this same game again exactly one year later when it's actually done
- Speaking of, this game will be $60USD, and if you want to play online you'll need Nintendo Switch Online, which costs around $20 for one year, meaning that in order to even play this game to it's fullest, you'll need to shell out $80 USD
- Then, if you want to bring your Pokemon to future games, you'll need to buy Pokemon Home, which'll probably cost you around $5-$10 USD, bringing the grand total to $90 USD, for one game, the ability to play it online, and the ability to store your Pokemon and bring them to future games
- BUT WAIT, since you're a Pokemon fan, you'll probably want to keep the Pokemon in your Pokemon Bank right? Well, you'd better cough up $5 USD right now, or you'll lose them forever! So that's $100 USD
- And if you're Canadian like I am, those prices are increased by approximately 20%, so get ready to shell out $120 ****ing jemimadollars to play one game, with online capabilities, and to keep your **** from said game and any previous games of theirs you have
MAKE IT STOOOOOOOOP.
Edit: This is what they are doing
View attachment 236774
LOL $500 plush. Fans'll eat up anything.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, heard people talking about SS and couldn't resist to talk about it too.

Being sincere, I really feel worried about Pokémon in general taking a real bad direction soon, but there's things that make me go soft with this issue.

Dexit was bad, but then I read this nice article about including pokémon by an anonymous game dev: https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/186632316431/what-do-you-think-about-the-pokemon-sword-and

Essentially, adding all the shaders and colour maps in a real pain.

And not only that, now that the anime is taking an entirely new direction from the rest of the series, I'm really curious to see the outcome no matter how good or bad it turns out to be, because frankly, it can't get any worse than what BW and SM (not counting the good episodes) have done.

Only thing I really come to hate is the manga right now. Kusaka can't do an schedule for ****.

Firox

Smash Master
Even though Pokemon will never hit the peak it did with GSC (or HGSS) I still hope for the best.

I really just want all the starters (mainly buffs to Johto starters) to return and I'll be satisfied with Sw/Sh. Even with all the other issues and cut corners the game may have.
I'll never truly be satisfied until the Johto starters get Mega Evolutions. Only then will the universe have achieved balance.

D

Deleted member

I'll never truly be satisfied until the Johto starters get Mega Evolutions. Only then will the universe have achieved balance.
Dang, that's it? I won't be satisfied until the entirety of Poke-Japan (Gens 1-4) are in one game together.
32 gyms. Think about it.

Firox

Smash Master
And not only that, now that the anime is taking an entirely new direction from the rest of the series, I'm really curious to see the outcome no matter how good or bad it turns out to be, because frankly, it can't get any worse than what BW and SM (not counting the good episodes) have done.
Out of morbid curiosity, what is going on with the anime? I haven't been following it either way, but I'm just curious about its "new direction".

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Well, heard people talking about SS and couldn't resist to talk about it too.

Being sincere, I really feel worried about Pokémon in general taking a real bad direction soon, but there's things that make me go soft with this issue.

Dexit was bad, but then I read this nice article about including pokémon by an anonymous game dev: https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/186632316431/what-do-you-think-about-the-pokemon-sword-and

Essentially, adding all the shaders and colour maps in a real pain.

Only thing I really come to hate is the manga right now. Kusaka can't do an schedule for ****.
Digital art is hard. party all night!
But seriously, I understand that it takes a lot of work to make something like the national Dex feature, and I'm not going to say people shouldn't like or support the game without it. But I'd be lying if I said that it's exclusion didn't disincentivize me from playing the game. It's hard to get attached to mons when your favorite ones might just become a non entity in the next game.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Out of morbid curiosity, what is going on with the anime? I haven't been following it either way, but I'm just curious about its "new direction".
SM was an attempt that comedy with too much misses and not enough hits to make it tolerable. It ruined Ash's design and the series in general is filled to the brim with obnoxious gag faces that get on people's nerves. Not to mention, it has probably the worst battles in the entire anime (not counting Ash's battle with Elesa in BW), as Ash vs Hau was just an insulting mess.

Now, last Sunday it was announced that the next anime will take place in all regions rather than just being your average season where Ash goes to the new place to build himself a new team. We won't hear details regarding how this is going to work until the 29th, but the premise alone gives people the idea that the new series may operate in a similar fashion to Pokémon Chronicles and Generations, and many are wondering if Ash is even going to be in it.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
SM was an attempt that comedy with too much misses and not enough hits to make it tolerable. It ruined Ash's design and the series in general is filled to the brim with obnoxious gag faces that get on people's nerves. Not to mention, it has probably the worst battles in the entire anime (not counting Ash's battle with Elesa in BW), as Ash vs Hau was just an insulting mess.

Now, last Sunday it was announced that the next anime will take place in all regions rather than just being your average season where Ash goes to the new place to build himself a new team. We won't hear details regarding how this is going to work until the 29th, but the premise alone gives people the idea that the new series may operate in a similar fashion to Pokémon Chronicles and Generations, and many are wondering if Ash is even going to be in it.
as awful is it is to have strung ash along for over 20 years without ever winning the league I think switching directions like they did with origins and generations might actually be what the series needs to real make something interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
as awful is it is to have strung ash along for over 20 years without ever winning the league I think switching directions like they did with origins and generations might actually be what the series needs to real make something interesting.
Ash should have won the Johto league and completed his story arc

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Ash should have won the Johto league and completed his story arc
absolutely, that's the point I stopped watching back in the day anyway the world tour concept they decided to go with felt really inorganic.

making him lose in kanto was actually a shocking twist that I really respected but they just turned it into a excuse to keep ash in the show

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I get why people could be upset about the dexit issue.

I also certainly understand why people could NOT be upset about it (being one of those people myself).

It's why I find all the "OMG HATER!" and "OMG SHILL!" stuff to be obnoxious BS, as it generally is in any case..

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Origins and Generations weren't good series even if you use whatever hatred or negative opinions on the anime to praise them. Just a bunch of game moments summed in less than seven minutes.

My personal idea is to just give Ash a similar goal to Ryu from Street Fighter. Rather than making him go through gyms and leagues, let the guy just be a explorer who gets into fights every now and then, similar to what happened in the Power of Us movie (which is the best Pokémon film ever imo). In fact, that's personally what I expect from this new anime, COTDs everywhere with Ash staying as a secondary character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom